Indian Interests

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Interests

Post by brihaspati »

Jhujar wrote:Bsir ji,
Babbus are pain in the Mush most of time but they also serve a good purpose necessary for the internal stability. I have personally seen and met few very good nationalistic and honest Babbus. Last one i met at a party had mucho knowledge about EJs and thier shenanigans than with due exceptions,most of the good old Brites here. On top it, he was young and lets say in the "proper" department. Vayuvan Enron-assur was vanquished by a Babbu when every one was so impressed of Its high reach.
I see them as most useful - even as inertia, sometimes. The proverbial continuous drop of water that wears mighty boulders down.

If they hold the fort simply by being there and being an obstacle, whoever feels them as obstructive will ultimately have to go for the jugular of the state. That makes transitions easier.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

The costs of democracy

Views from the Right
Municipal Party

Both Sangh Parivar journals, the Organiser and the Panchjanya, prominently carried reports of the BJP’s victory in recently held municipal elections in Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.

Both stressed that the municipal results, where the BJP won 10 of 12 mayoral positions in UP and 36 of 49 urban local bodies in Madhya Pradesh, has “stunned” the Congress in these states. The fact that the Congress failed to win even a single mayoral position in UP and lost badly in the bastions of senior leaders like Kamal Nath and Kantilal Bhuria in Madhya Pradesh has given ammunition to both journals.

A full page report in the Organiser contends that the party’s performance in municipal bodies have given the BJP “a fresh lease of life” after its dismal performance in the UP assembly elections, and is in tune with the party’s “great expectations for the Lok Sabha”.

While the article claims that the municipal results are an indicator of urban India’s support for the party, it has highlighted the BJP’s debacle in UP to suggest that the BJP ponder why it performs well in municipal polls, but fails to repeat that success at the Lok Sabha polls.

“While it (the BJP) kept improving its performance in urban local bodies’ elections, its tally has kept sliding in assembly and parliamentary polls,” says an article in the Organiser, asking the BJP to think about the “contraction of (the) BJP in larger and more important electoral games”.

Underachiever Who?

The RSS’ Hindi weekly Panchjanya seems to agree and disagree with the assessment of international news magazine Time, which described Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as an underachiever. The Panchjanya, instead, found some merit in the arguments advanced by Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid, where he suggested that Rahul Gandhi’s cameo performances were not sufficient for the Congress and that the grand old party needed more of him.

While criticising the PM’s alleged mismanagement of the economy, the article also took Congress President Sonia Gandhi to task, describing her as a “super prime minister” and claimed that she could not abdicate responsibility for the failures of the UPA government. An editorial portrayed Khurshid’s remarks as questioning Rahul Gandhi’s capability to lead, and agreed with the law minister’s assessment that the Congress is directionless.

The editorial and article in Panchjanya together assert that it Singh is not the only underachiever in the Congress, but that “the trio of Manmohan-Sonia-Rahul has emerged (as) underachievers in (the) true sense. The alarming development is that they are turning the country into an underachiever too”.

CBI’s Maya

The Supreme Court’s verdict quashing the CBI probe into former UP chief minister Mayawati’s disproportionate assets on technical grounds has attracted the attention of the Organiser. An article gives chronological details of the case since 2003.

While reporting that the cases were filed against Mayawati “when the NDA was in power”, it has sought to underline that the NDA lost elections “a few months later”. Saying that the Supreme Court’s verdict “robbed” the CBI of “whatever credibility it had”, the article claims that the agency was at wits’ end and was hesitant to admit that “it did what the apex court says is a roving inquiry under political pressure” from the Congress-led UPA.

“It is public knowledge that under duress from the CBI and other government agencies and departments, Mulayam Singh Yadav and Mayawati were ‘persuaded’ to support Congress-led governments on several occasions,” says the article, referring to SP and BSP’s support for the Congress’ presidential candidate, and describes the CBI as the “Congress Bureau of Investigation”.

Compiled by Ravish Tiwari
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Don't what to say, this must be GHQ Rawalpindi and Beijing Wishlist.

The Saint is gone, long live the Saint

Rahul Gandhi to be appointed as defence minister? :oops: :oops: :( :x

If this happens I really shudder
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Its a management job and about making the right decisions. They are obviously looking for a role that improves his stature and an opportunity for Rahul to prove himself. IMO, this role needs someone with experience and good knowledge.
Its a risky strategy because defence is also a dirty business. One scandal and he could be tainted forever.
nakul
BRFite

Post by nakul »

I would prefer Rahul Gandhi over Mulayam Singh Yadav :oops:
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

Can a Defense Minister of India hold an Italian passport?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

We were to have a PM with an Italian passport a few years back. The then President saw no issue in that.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

IAC-1 really now has to battle against all odds

Is Rahul Gandhi a defence enthusiast?
Interestingly, a few days ago I also saw a report which says that Rahul Gandhi is apparently taking a personal interest in our ongoing indigenous aircraft carrier :( :cry: building programme. So we have Rahul, both in support of matters nuclear as well as naval. It might just be in the genes, do we say.
I am really worried for IAC-1 now
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

SSridhar wrote:We were to have a PM with an Italian passport a few years back. The then President saw no issue in that.
There is lot of misinformation in the media. APJ seeing no issue is falsely reported. There are certain things which transpired between Sonia and APJ which cannot be discussed here.
Hint: Is Antonio status "single-widowed" or "Its complicated"?
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

I am actually comfortable with Rahul as a Defense Minister. It is a position which can get in a sea of shit very very easily. There are lot of protocols which a DM must know and not everybody is comfortable around armed forces and their issues. It is a very very fluid position and Rahul may make a complete ass of himself in a couple of months with a huge scandal. Once a person is tainted in defense and its very painful to contest for any other position in India again. So we might get rid of him with his own mistake.
Again I could be wrong altogether. Who knows he might actually excel at the job and surprise us all.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

^^ Exactly. He has suffered a number of failures and its make or break if he wants to be PM in 2014. So the chances are that he will have to do a lot of good things to earn the peoples trust. One scandal and he is gone.

Take a look at Winston Churchill and the numerous accussations about him ranging from being a alcoholic (which he was) to many of his friends being linked to the soviets. It didnt stop him from doing the right things when it mattered.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I notice BJP provides cover everytime a controversial decision is taken by UPA.

There is always one eminent person in BJP on the side of the UPA decision makers and the debate takes a turn towards thrashing the BJP which is not the party in power. The ruling group gets a free pass.

Thus BJP type politics subverts democracy by preventing discussion on accountability.
ManuT
BRFite

Post by ManuT »

'They used my religion against me': Ex-Army Major accuses SpiceJet
Written by Kashish, Edited by Surabhi Malik | Updated: July 19, 2012 15:42 IST
New Delhi: Mohammad Ali Shah, a former Army Major, says he had never known prejudice till a recent altercation at the Delhi airport, where he was allegedly targeted for being a Muslim. He claims he was told by SpiceJet staff that his name was enough to get him into trouble.

Mr Shah, 32, has alleged that that following a heated argument, the private airline's staff made anti-Muslim comments against him, blackmailed him and even threatened to brand him a terrorist and security threat.

All this, he says, happened to him on June 28, when he was all set to fly from Delhi to Guwahati on SpiceJet flight SG-893. The airline has however denied these charges. It claims Mr Shah is giving a religious tinge to what its calls his misconduct. The National Minorities Commission has now stepped in to investigate the matter. It has issued a notice to the airline to explain its stand.

Mr Shah says he had boarded the flight to Guwahati when he was suddenly asked to deplane. When he stepped down the aircraft, he says he found his bag lying open on the tarmac and his belongings strewn all over the place. He was told the lock of his bag had come open and hence it needed to be identified. As he argued over how the bag lock could come apart, the plane took off without him, he claims.

In the ensuing argument, he claims was targeted for being a Muslim. "They told me 'Oh your name is Ali Shah, right? We'll say you're a terrorist and you are a security threat and that is why we have deboarded,'", Mr Shah told NDTV. "Not all Muslims are terrorists, and I am an Indian before I am a Muslim," he added.

As an Army Major, Mr Shah had as served in Jammu and Kashmir and in the North East. "I looked after the security of the country and I am proud of that fact. I am a proud Muslim. I am a proud Indian. I am a former Army Major and I am well educated and that's why I have come out to tell the world what happened with me that day," he said.

Mr Shah's father, Lt Gen Zameeruddin Shah fought in the 1971 India-Pakistan war. He retired as the Deputy Chief of the Army and is currently Vice Chancellor of the Aligarh Muslim University. His younger brother Naseeruddin shah is of one of India's most respected actors.

Mr Shah works in a multinational company and was recently transferred to Guwahati. In the legal notice sent by him to SpiceJet, his lawyer has said, "My client objected to being threatened and blackmailed. SpiceJet employee replied that all he had to do was to report that my client had been posing a security threat to the flight and given my client's Muslim name, nobody would doubt the report."

Copies of this complaint have been sent to airline regulator - the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) - and the National Minorities Commission.

Mr Shah says he was ready to forgive and forget after SpiceJet initially apologised and offered him a free ticket for the next day. But when he arrived to catch his flight the second time, he alleges the airline demanded that he give them a letter saying it was his own misconduct that saw him being forced off the plane.

"They told me 'You will have to give us a letter saying SpiceJet did not board you out this flight because of your tampered baggage. Say that you were deplaned because of your personal misconduct. Don't mention racial slur'. They were very categorical on the racial bit," Mr Shah said.

When NDTV contacted SpiceJet, it denied all allegations leveled by Mr Shah and termed his charges as "incorrect, inaccurate and an incomplete version of the entire incident." Throwing the onus on Mr Shah for what happened on the tarmac, SpiceJet said he refused to come down the plane to identify his baggage and its contents. "After repeated requests, when he came, he started taking photographs on his mobile phone despite it being illegal and prohibited," the airline said in a statement, adding that the only letter it sought from Mr Shah was one confirming that he had deleted the visuals in his phone.

In his defense, Mr Shah says he took out his mobile phone and took a few short clips of the men who were screaming at him, so he would have proof later. "I was so cornered, so helpless. These people were calling me names and egging me on and I had no proof against them. I knew it would be my word against theirs later and I come from a good family. I had to protect their reputation....so I took these videos as proof. But I did not film the sensitive areas. I only kept my camera on the shouting employees".

The airline has alleged that Mr Shah "is seeking to give a religious colour to the incident to justify his illegal actions."

The National Minorities Commission says Mr Shah's complaint needs further investigation. It has sent an official notice to SpiceJet to explain its stand.
---
The video

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/the-bu ... herstories
Last edited by ManuT on 19 Jul 2012 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

brihaspati wrote: One should not preclude themselves from watching and observing pakistani movies which provide a window into their psyche. I have watched pakistani movies on youtube, their serials as well. Ramana's comments on Pakistani cooking videos on youtube which help us analyze their thinking would apply to pakistani movies to some extent as well.

Their actor Shaan fancies himself as a Paki Sunny Deol. Came to Mumbai to explore the Indian scene as well many years ago...had to make a quick about turn due to the competition.

But it would seem from movies onlee that just like Bollywood, their life revolves around mohabbat [not pyaar]. Bollywood tries to mix in some "reality" like underworld - but otherwise, it is a surfeit of pyaar with massala.

How do folks propose that we gain insight into Paki reality/psyche from this?
The longest running (at the box office) Pakistani film of all time was Aynaa in 1977. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrNr3BNlOj8

Rather interestingly Shabnam, its star, and Pakistan's biggest female star for a couple of decades was a Hindu from East Pakistan.

What seems to have happened though since the 1980s is the rise of regional Punjabi and Pashto movies at the expense of Urdu. The Pakjabi films in particular seem to have a much more rural, much less elitist Bollywood style focus. Inevitably honour and revenge are much bigger themes.

Take a look at Maula Jatt, probably the most famous Pakjabi film ever. What I find striking is that Zia had the film banned because of its implicit criticism of the Pakistani power structure at the grassroots level. Even more striking was how difficult it was him to ban it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHpNtPHxI5w
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

brihaspati wrote: But it would seem from movies onlee that just like Bollywood, their life revolves around mohabbat [not pyaar]. Bollywood tries to mix in some "reality" like underworld - but otherwise, it is a surfeit of pyaar with massala.

How do folks propose that we gain insight into Paki reality/psyche from this?
My idea wasn't so much about insight into Paki reality/psyche, it was about propaganda value. From watching Indian movies, it is evident that Pak is way down at the bottom rung of importance, when it comes to issues that register on the Indian consciousness. I came to this conclusion because of the rare mention of the word "Pakistan" in Indian movies, let alone the number of movies which are Pakistan specific (which are minimal). If it weren't for the issue of terrorism, Pakistan wouldn't even register on the Indian consciousness.

Is this a valid conclusion to come to, just based on watching Indian movies? The counter-question is: we know how obsessed Pak is with India. Does this show in the number of mentions that India (or Kashmir) gets in Paki movies? That's where I was going with this - just as a data-point on the plot which shows a general trend. If it turns out that Paki movies mention India far more than Indian movies mention Pak, that would be something to throw in the face of goras who keep giving sanctimonious advice on how we brownies should all learn to get along with each other and not keep fighting all the time. Like when BBC or CNN keep emphasizing that "India and Pak have fought three (or five) wars since 1947," without any mention of the fact that all of those wars were initiated by Pakistan, and that India was simply reacting in self-defense.

On a side note: notice how few Indian movies even mention the British, or colonialism? Indians are over the past. India as a nation is focused on the future - always has been, always will be. No colonial hangovers in the Indian psyche. I'm not talking about the British legacy of bureaucracy and divide-and-rule, I'm talking about whether or not the average Indian today feels traumatized or humiliated by the fact that India was under the British heel for two centuries. Compare and contrast with the psyche of the CPC (which may or may not be representative of the average Chinese psyche), which keeps going on and on about "revenging two centuries of humiliation."

And of course, it's always possible that I'm barking up the wrong trees.
sudarshan
BRF Oldie

Post by sudarshan »

If I may say just one more thing on the subject. I mean no offense to anybody, trust me.

IMHO, this tendency to look for insight into reality is an admirable tendency, in line with our tradition of "Satyameva Jayate." However, sometimes what matters is just plain old propaganda. The Indian tendency is to (over-)analyze everything. But when you are faced with an opponent who cares nothing about the truth, and is simply looking for a chance to put you down by any means, the truth isn't always your best weapon. Just say/do whatever has the maximum negative effect on the worldview of the other person, bring down his/her self-esteem by whatever means. A couple of well-researched data points (which need not necessarily be the whole truth - half-truths are often the best weapon to counter half-truths) are what the situation calls for. Kind of like "Ashwattama (the elephant)."

If you tell an arrogant gora to his face - "Why don't you watch a few Indian movies and a few Pakistani movies, and see for yourself who is obsessed with who?" That puts the gora on the defensive, since the implication is (1) (S)he is ignorant of this huge world of Indian/Paki movies, something which you are intimately familiar with (2) By extension, (S)he is ignorant of all things Indian/Paki in general, and (S)he should just stop embarrassing himself/herself (3) You are perfectly confident of your facts, and hence on solid ground.

How feasible is it for a gora, whose ignorance is thus exposed, to counter your implied lifetime's experience with all things Indian and Pakistani, and your implied scientific analysis of your experiences? That's propaganda value.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

From the Urdu Press
God Particle

Kolkata-based daily Azad Hind, in its editorial on July 6, explained the process by which the Higgs boson was identified, albeit with a rider: “Presently, it cannot be said with certainty that the Higgs boson has been discovered, because further research and experiments have yet to be conducted. CERN’s statement has created some doubts... because scientists at this very laboratory had, a few months ago, proudly claimed that particles with velocities higher than that of light had been discovered... But it was later discovered that the claim was due to an error in the computer system.”

Taking a dim view of science’s efforts to explain the origin of life, Shakeel Shamsi, editor of the daily Inquilab wrote on July 10: “Scientists are happy to claim that they have discovered a particle that will help them figure out the secrets of the creation of the universe... But all the hullabaloo is not about the scientists’ search for God. Instead, it is an effort to prove that there is no God... There is no need to dig an underground tunnel to search for God. What is required is to keep the windows of the mind open.”

Veteran journalist Ahtesham Qureshy, in a commentary in Delhi-based daily Jadeed Khabar (July 15), writes that “the secret of (the) creation of the universe is still a puzzle for scientists”. He says that “a clue to the creation of universe is contained in the Quran”. He quotes from Islamic scholar Maulana Abdul Majid Daryabadi’s that “before creation, the land and the sky were joined together. Allah, with his hand of nature created plurality in singularity and separated the sky from the land”.

Obama-speak

Reacting to US President Barack Obama’s comments on the state of the Indian economy, Inquilab wrote in a July 17 editorial: “The condition of the American market is not hidden... American industrialists are looking at a market like India where they can sell their products easily. That is why Obama specifically mentioned the retail sector... America wants to use India for its own interests. Profiteering is its distinguishing characteristic!”

The daily Sahafat, in its editorial on July 18, writes: “The trading community in India is big and there are countless small traders. If retail trade is opened up to foreign direct investment, it will result in a huge loss for domestic traders. The government is in a dilemma. No government can risk the opposition of the trading community.”

Rashtriya Sahara writes in an editorial: “Obama’s statement can serve a useful purpose for Manmohan Singh. The BJP and Trinamool Congress will have to clarify if there has been any change in their position on this issue. Following Obama’s statement, their opposition (to more FDI in retail) would send a negative signal to the urban middle class and to rural farmers.”

Best Bakery verdict

Commenting on the judgment of the Bombay high court on the Best Bakery case related to the Gujarat riots of 2002, Rashtriya Sahara in its editorial on July 11 writes: “Even though the Bombay high court has honourably acquitted five accused, the significant thing is that the real culprits have been sentenced. The high court deserves praise... It is significant that the court has criticised the Gujarat police, saying that if investigations were conducted in the right manner, evidence could have been gathered against the accused... Teesta Setalvad also deserves praise.” The daily Siasat in its editorial on the same day writes: “Despite the presence of evidence and witnesses, the arms of the law could not reach the Narendra Modi government. This is clear proof of political dominance over the law...” Jamaat-e-Islami’s biweekly, Daawat (July 13) has described the verdict as “nothing but the murder of the law.”

Compiled by Seema Chishti
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

India's Rahul Gandhi pledges more active role
Pandit ji ki eh Laal mera, PM di Padvi payega<dadde , pardadde wangu ki eh Nehru naam Chamkayega

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajm9ofoWbVk
Indian politician Rahul Gandhi, scion of the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty, pledged on Thursday to play "a more proactive role" in government, drawing praise from his struggling ruling Congress party.Gandhi, widely touted as a future prime minister, is the son, grandson and great-grandson of Indian premiers, and currently serves as a member of parliament and head of the Congress party youth wing.The cherub-faced bachelor has been under pressure from party /loyalists to take up a higher public profile, but he has declined to accept a government post and often keeps his distance from the daily political fray."I will play a more proactive role in the party and (in) the government," Gandhi told NDTV television in remarks that immediately triggered widespread speculation about him taking a cabinet post."The decision has been taken, the timing is up to the leadership," he said, referring to his mother Sonia Gandhi, the Congress party president, and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.Gandhi, 42, is seen by many as a young political star, though he suffered a major setback when he headed Congress's dismally unsuccessful campaign in Uttar Pradesh state polls in March
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ck-monsoon
Scientists Try to Crack Monsoon Source Code
NEW DELHI/BHUBANESHWAR (Reuters) - Scientists aided by supercomputers are trying to unravel one of Mother Nature's biggest mysteries -- the vagaries of the summer monsoon rains that bring life, and sometimes death, to India every year.In a first-of-its-kind project, Indian scientists aim to build computer models that would allow them to make a quantum leap in predicting the erratic movements of the monsoon.If successful, the impact would be life-changing in a country where 600 million people depend on farming for their livelihoods and where agriculture contributes 15 percent to the economy. The monsoon has been dubbed by some as India's "real finance minister".The importance of the recently launched five-year "monsoon mission" has been underscored by this summer's patchy and below-average rains, which have provoked much anxious sky-watching and fears of drought in India's northwest, even as floods in the northeast displaced 2 million people and killed more than 100.Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar cautioned this week that there was no need for alarm just yet, although he fretted that the monsoon was "playing hide-and-seek".Working with counterparts in the United States and Britain, Indian scientists are trying to crack the monsoon's "source code" using super-fast computers to build the world's first short-range and long-range computer models that can give much more granular information about the monsoon's movements.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Jindal Steel Says Bolivia Harassed Managers
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... lenews_wsj
A Jindal spokesman said two female managers were arrested at its office Friday in Puerto Suarez, where the project is located, and were accused of removing property. They were taken to a police station where they were questioned then later released. The spokesman said the allegations by the Bolivian authorities were "frivolous" and that the intent of the action had been to intimidate the employees.Jindal said earlier this week it had terminated its contract to mine iron-ore and make steel in the country because of the Bolivian government's unwillingness to supply 10 million cubic meters per day of gas to the company's facilities within 180 days of signing the contract, as was originally agreed. Instead, the government offered 2.5 million cubic meters a day from 2014. Jindal said the government also didn't accept its request to scale down its investment, which the company wanted to do because of the shortage of gas.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

abhishek_sharma wrote:From the Urdu Press
God Particle

Kolkata-based daily Azad Hind, in its editorial on July 6, explained the process by which the Higgs boson was identified, albeit with a rider: “Presently, it cannot be said with certainty that the Higgs boson has been discovered, because further research and experiments have yet to be conducted. CERN’s statement has created some doubts... because scientists at this very laboratory had, a few months ago, proudly claimed that particles with velocities higher than that of light had been discovered... But it was later discovered that the claim was due to an error in the computer system.”

Taking a dim view of science’s efforts to explain the origin of life, Shakeel Shamsi, editor of the daily Inquilab wrote on July 10: “Scientists are happy to claim that they have discovered a particle that will help them figure out the secrets of the creation of the universe... But all the hullabaloo is not about the scientists’ search for God. Instead, it is an effort to prove that there is no God... There is no need to dig an underground tunnel to search for God. What is required is to keep the windows of the mind open.”

Veteran journalist Ahtesham Qureshy, in a commentary in Delhi-based daily Jadeed Khabar (July 15), writes that “the secret of (the) creation of the universe is still a puzzle for scientists”. He says that “a clue to the creation of universe is contained in the Quran”. He quotes from Islamic scholar Maulana Abdul Majid Daryabadi’s that “before creation, the land and the sky were joined together. Allah, with his hand of nature created plurality in singularity and separated the sky from the land”.

Best Bakery verdict

Commenting on the judgment of the Bombay high court on the Best Bakery case related to the Gujarat riots of 2002, Rashtriya Sahara in its editorial on July 11 writes: “Even though the Bombay high court has honourably acquitted five accused, the significant thing is that the real culprits have been sentenced. The high court deserves praise... It is significant that the court has criticised the Gujarat police, saying that if investigations were conducted in the right manner, evidence could have been gathered against the accused... Teesta Setalvad also deserves praise.” The daily Siasat in its editorial on the same day writes: “Despite the presence of evidence and witnesses, the arms of the law could not reach the Narendra Modi government. This is clear proof of political dominance over the law...” Jamaat-e-Islami’s biweekly, Daawat (July 13) has described the verdict as “nothing but the murder of the law.”

Compiled by Seema Chishti
Isn't seema chisti, shitaram yechurys' bitter half??
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

shyamd wrote:Its a management job and about making the right decisions. They are obviously looking for a role that improves his stature and an opportunity for Rahul to prove himself. IMO, this role needs someone with experience and good knowledge.
Its a risky strategy because defence is also a dirty business. One scandal and he could be tainted forever.
More like the family is taking direct control of the big money and high level strategy of their personal property aka India. State of Sonia's health and prognosis is unknown and Antony was always something of an outsider so it is time for him to be shunted out.

Look for major rollback on security front, probably Siachen. New army chief is beholden to family and so may not push back that hard. If Rahul as RM with no objection from army chief pushes for "settlement" of siachen, few in CCS would have the nerve to oppose the decision. Only possible no-vote may be from Chidu. Other players in CCS if I am not mistaken are MMS(finance), Krishna (EA).
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

^^ Yawn... Plenty of rumours, no evidence that anyone is giving up Siachen yet. I don't think he wants to end up like his dad who was tainted with Bofors - its political suicide if he does.

Lets see if they can get AFSPA removed first which is supposed to be easier to achieve.Current IA Chief was hardline on this issue and by the way he has said no to removing AFSPA (there goes all the CTs). NC will try again in 2013 with 2 districts.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Some notes on Rahul Sankrityayan

- He was sometimes quite critical of MKG and S. Radhakrishnan. This was probably because they did not give enough importance to Buddhism.

- He visited Tibet and brought old Sanskrit manuscript on mules :shock: . They are very valuable and were in Patna Museum. Some Nepalese mentioned that he chose a really dangerous path to reach Tibet. Even Nepalese choose safer paths.

-In 1947, at a Sahitya Sammelan, he urged Indian Muslims to preserve the "cultural unity" of India. He was expelled from the Communist party because this was a "communal" statement from their POV. He also refused to read the speech which was provided to him.

- A Russian called him "Indian Kant" after being impressed by his intelligence and knowledge.

- He worked very hard. He spent 8-9 hours in sleeping/eating/walking. Remaining hours were spent on writing/teaching. His most well-known book "Volga Se Ganga" was written in 21 days. Another book "Singh Senapati" was written in 19 days.

-- At the time of independence, he told Dr. Rajendra Prasad that only countries connected to the British empire drive on the left side of the road. They agreed that India should follow the rest of the world and drive on the right side. Nehru did not agree.

-- He got the Sahitya Akademi award for his book "Madhya Asia ka Itihaas" (History of Central Asia).

-- He had great memory. It is ironic because in his last days, he lost his memory completely and recognized only his wife.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

shyamd wrote:^^ Yawn... Plenty of rumours, no evidence that anyone is giving up Siachen yet. I don't think he wants to end up like his dad who was tainted with Bofors - its political suicide if he does.

Lets see if they can get AFSPA removed first which is supposed to be easier to achieve.Current IA Chief was hardline on this issue and by the way he has said no to removing AFSPA (there goes all the CTs). NC will try again in 2013 with 2 districts.
AFAIK no one other than the principals has access to the actual decision-making dynamics and process of GOI on matters like Siachen or AFSPA. Any thoughts and predictions are necessarily going to be based on some mix of publicly available facts, rumors of varying degrees of credibility and speculation based on varying degrees of information. This is understood, and it is not fair game--albeit a frequently played one--to drag out these known and immutable deficiencies to counter any attempt at cautionary prognostication. By definition, rakshana of Bharat cannot be based on the most optimistic scenario.

I find your counter points--the durability of AFPSA and the alleged bofors-like political risks of giving in on Siachen--to be faulty. AFPSA and Siachen are simply two different kinds of animals. Alluding to Bofors here is an example of what pentagon analysts have called "fighting the previous war syndrome"--based on real or imagined superficial resemblance of two situations, jumping to the conclusion that the two are the same and the outcome of the present case will be the same as the outcome of the previous case. This is done as a shortcut substitute for applying the mind to conduct an admittedly challenging analysis which carries the risk of being wrong.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Please find me an article that quotes General Bikram Singh where he says that he is considering withdrawing AFSPA.

As for Bofors - you missed the point, if he gets embroiled in another scam - he is finished.

Siachen - it would be interesting if you could post a few quotes of what MMS/RG/Sonia/diplomats say about this matter in private.
AbhiJ
BRFite

Post by AbhiJ »

French did the same in India against the Queeny. but it was successful in America.

Franco Indian Alliances
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

X-post....
shyamd wrote: quote="ramana"

ShyamD
....He left with top-secret RAW documents, including assessments on Southeast Asia countries as well as information that he had accessed from the reports of other officers....
What would be so important about Indian views on South East Asia that he gets sanctuary from US which is ready to jeopardize the so called relationship?

Are those really India's "Look East" policy specifics?/quote
------------------------------------
Sir, I find that very interesting too... Wasn't that SS Paul guy who was accused of taking home his work and passing on info on India's take on the Kra canal to a CIA operative?

SE Asia is important for a number of reasons: SE Asia is big for crime (arms trade, fake currency, passports etc), trade route for US west coast which India could block.
Probably the latter. But again I can't think of this being a major factor.

An Indian naval base is to be established in south east asia, so it could be that too. Who knows US could be pushing the party not to allow Indian base.

Will answer in due course....
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Views from the Right
‘Majboor’ Mamata

Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee’s last minute announcement in support of the UPA’s presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee caught the attention of the RSS weekly Organiser, which called it her “majboori”.

A news report in Organiser outlined two major reasons for her u-turn. First, the article pointed out Mamata’s worry that the TMC’s support for rival candidate P.A. Sangma, who was backed by the BJP, would alienate her base by sending a “wrong signal to state’s Muslims”. Second, the article suggests that the possibility of some TMC legislators breaking ranks with her to support the Bengali candidate for president, Mukherjee, also weighed on her mind.

The article contends that “by taking a U-turn on (the) presidential election, Mamata stoops to conquer” another day. It also claims that the TMC’s rival in the state, the CPM, tried “instigating, if not provoking” the BJP against Banerjee, but expresses satisfaction that “till now CPM could not gain anything through this policy”.

While the article has refrained from being critical of the TMC chief, another article highlighted the high incidence of atrocities against women in West Bengal, which, it says Banerjee “inherited” from 34 years of communist rule in the state. It also sympathises with her, claiming that her task was difficult as the CPM “planted” its men in the administration in enough numbers to “sabotage” her good intentions.

Archaeological issues

While the BJP has refrained from commenting on the construction of a mosque undertaken by locals in Old Delhi, on what they claim is the location of the Akbarabadi Masjid demolished by the British during the 1857 uprising, the Sangh Parivar has expressed concern over the construction activities, halted by the authorities for now.

Both RSS journals have prominently displayed reports of the incidents in Old Delhi. While the Panchjanya’s report asserts that the development is an attempt to convert Delhi into an “Islamic state”, the Organiser has an editorial suggesting that the attempts by local Muslims, led by Delhi MLA Shoaib Iqbal, to construct the mosque was an example of “how to bring the state to knees”.

The Organiser editorial contests the claim that Akbarabadi Masjid was located there, citing a lack of confirmation from the ASI. The editorial laments that “Ram Lalla has been living in (a) ‘temporary home’ under the shadow of (the) gun” with “no sight of the promised temple” in Ayodhya.

“The point is, Hindus should learn a few lessons from our Muslim brothers on how to safeguard our interests. Let us increase our pitch and reclaim our right,” concludes the article. The editorial does not exhort the BJP to take up this issue at a political level.

Rahul to lead

An editorial in Panchjanya has criticised Rahul Gandhi’s recent remarks on taking on a greater role in the party and government. The editorial says that a coterie of leaders surrounding 10 Janpath has been preparing to project Gandhi in a “lead role”. It also seeks an answer to who the number two in the Congress and the government is, given Sharad Pawar’s resentment at not being the granted number two position after Pranab Mukherjee’s exit.

The editorial claims that Gandhi has been de facto number two in the party, irrespective of his official position, and that Congress’ fortunes in Bihar, UP and Punjab did not improve despite his active role in framing party strategy in the assembly elections for these states. It says that the Congress has avoided any “evaluation” of its performance in these states out of fear that it would “dent” the “image of the prince”. It contends that the demand from Congress leaders for Gandhi to play a more active role in government is “ the height of dynastic politics and an unfortunate chapter in Indian politics”.

Compiled by Ravish Tiwari
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Sadhguru on the God Particle (Part 2 - Higgs boson)

[youtube]SfSxB27Nexc&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... lenews_wsj
Quotas Won't Help India's Muslims The future of the world's largest democracy hinges on how well it integrates its biggest minority
India's Supreme Court is this week reviewing whether Muslims deserve affirmative action, and this has once again ignited a debate on how the world's largest democracy treats its biggest minority. India's left-leaning intelligentsia has already made up its mind, insisting on viewing the 175-million strong Muslim population through a prism of permanent victimhood. Righteous television anchors self-flagellate about the alleged discrimination faced by Muslims in day-to-day life, while earnest reporters dig up evidence the country doesn't measure up to its secularist ideals.Whether the Muslim community is well-integrated and productive or marginalized and resentful is truly one of the big questions on which the country's future hinges. But their diagnosis is off the mark. And their favorite solution, to offer so-called reservations for Muslims in schools and jobs, betrays a dangerous ignorance of history.Though these are hardly facts to be proud of, they miss the forest for the trees. Take demographics, arguably the ultimate marker of a community's well-being. Between 1961 and 2001, India's Muslims' share of the population rose to 13.6% from 10.7%. According to a 2009 Pew Foundation report, that number has since increased to about 15%. In contrast, both Pakistan and Bangladesh have seen an outflow of religious minorities, including persecuted minority Muslim sects, and a sharp decline in their populations since independence. Warts and all, India remains the most attractive place to work and live in South Asia.Indian Muslims regularly occupy the top rungs of politics, journalism, business and the military. About a decade ago, India's first citizen (then-President Abdul Kalam) and richest man (Wipro's Azim Premji) were both Muslim.As for riots, for the most part, the country has moved on. Quotas, on the other hand, will be divisive. For Muslims, they will reinforce a sense of separateness. For majority Hindus, they will stoke resentment. India's culture wars started in the 1980s in part because former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi provided Muslim men exceptional marriage rights (by denying divorced women alimony). They culminated in the demolition of a mosque in Ayodhya and nationwide riots in 1992-93.he Supreme Court should not repeat that mistake, and it should also bear in mind two occasions from further back in history. In the 1920s, Mohandas Gandhi's shortsighted attempt to mobilize Muslims against the British by demanding the restoration of Turkey's Caliphate sowed the seeds of partition (one reason Indian Muslims are predominantly poor is that many of the upper and middle classes migrated to Pakistan). In the 1950s, Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru's failure to reform regressive Muslim personal laws—when Parliament rightly banned practices such as polygamy among Hindus—did the community no favors either. On all these occasions, the political class blundered by viewing the community through the prism of faith rather than nationality. Muslims are Indians and the best way for India to integrate them is to strive to treat them as individuals, not members of a group. Indians disregard this commonsense notion at their own peril.This means stressing equality of opportunity rather than equality of outcomes. Better schools in Muslim-majority districts, along with privately endowed fellowships for bright students from Muslim-dominated schools (but open to all), are a start. Longer term, Muslim leaders must address issues such as attitudes toward female education that keep the community backward. But the crude fix of quotas may create more problems than it solves.
AbhiJ
BRFite

Post by AbhiJ »

How Dangerous is the Joshua Project?
Roperia
BRFite

Post by Roperia »

Cut defence expenditure to fund bio-toilets: Jairam Ramesh | PTI

Ah, so that's what the problem is. Its the defense spending that's holding the govt. back from making toilets. Thank God we finally know the root cause of our malaise.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Roperia wrote:Cut defence expenditure to fund bio-toilets: Jairam Ramesh | PTI

Ah, so that's what the problem is. Its the defense spending that's holding the govt. back from making toilets. Thank God we finally know the root cause of our malaise.
So a Govt minister sees eye to eye with British Tabloids, I understand where his interest lie.

Mr Jairam Ramesh, 2G and Coal scam savings could easily fund our requirement for Bio toilets
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

What would the Ass-h**e suggest next? Disbanding the Army??
If he is so much concerned, why does he not cricisize his own party leaders for their corruption or at the least resign himself in protest? Hypocrite Bast**d.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Vipul wrote:What would the Ass-h**e suggest next? Disbanding the Army??
If he is so much concerned, why does he not cricisize his own party leaders for their corruption or at the least resign himself in protest? Hypocrite Bast**d.
Shades of Menon and 62 defeat. Exactly Like this Mantri
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcwEWkJvJk0

Still relevant
India lost 1962 India China war because of Jawaharlal Nehru - Subramanian Swamy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfqa3tLR ... re=related
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://pharmagossip.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... y-big.html
Professor Lofgren explains why Big Pharma hates Indian pharma

Pharmaceutical companies putting health of world's poor at riskIndia is often called the pharmacy of the developing world, which is no great surprise as more than 50% of its $10bn annual generic medicine production is exported.
But the domestic drug industry behind India's role as global pharmacist stands to emerge rather poorly from the free trade agreement (FTA) that Europe is proposing for India. In late-stage negotiations over the terms of the long-awaited agreement, the EU is calling for intellectual property rights enforcement that goes well beyond India's obligations as a member of the World Trade Organisation and would make it all but impossible for generic drug manufacturers in the country to continue in their present structure.This could delay the introduction of cheaper medicines in India and elsewhere at a time when the global financial crisis has already put the squeeze on life-saving medicines across the world (last year the Global Fund to Fight Aids, Tuberculosis and Malaria cancelled its 11th funding round due to the crisis).
Yet protests on the streets of Delhi against the unfair terms of the EU-India FTA have been little noticed in the west, where such agreements are increasingly being promoted as a route out of domestic crises. For European leaders, they represent a foreign policy counterpart to calls for a growth pact at home. In a recent editorial, however, the former EU high representative for foreign and security policy, Javier Solana, all but admits that a similar agreement that Europe is tying up with Peru and Colombia may be "denying their weaker citizens [human] rights in favour of the interests of business".
In India, such fears are perilously close to being realised, because the EU-India FTA negotiations are not the only way in which the health of Indian citizens is coming under attack from Europe. In an effort to boost falling profit margins in the west, and to prise open more profitable markets elsewhere, European pharmaceutical companies are also chipping away at India's judicial system
Next month, the supreme court of India will hear final arguments in a long-running case between Swiss pharmaceutical giant Novartis and the Indian government. Novartis is seeking extended intellectual property protection for a marginally modified anti-cancer drug, Glivec, for which the original patent has run out. This is a practice known as evergreening, seen by many as an unfair way for pharmaceutical companies to maintain artificially high drug prices in developing markets. That is certainly the view of the Indian government, which, in 2005, inserted a clause into its intellectual property law deliberately intended to prevent the practice.
That clause has proven to be a literal lifesaver many times since, and it ensured that Novartis's original case was thrown out of court in 2006. But Novartis has filed new litigation in an attempt to breach India's legal defences. The final ruling is next month and there is every chance Novartis may succeed. If it does, other pharmaceutical companies will be able to impose higher prices on drugs in India too.
The Novartis case coincides with a third major assault on India's pharmaceutical industry: the final spear in a triple-pronged attack on its generic drug manufacturers by the west.
This involves the attempt by German pharmaceutical company Bayer to revoke the recent granting of a compulsory licence for an Indian firm, Natco Pharma. The licence was to produce a cheaper version of its anti-cancer drug Sorafenib. Bayer does not manufacture the drug in India, and imports in such small volumes that only a tiny fraction of potential patients could benefit. For its brand, Sorafenib, Bayer has charged Indian patients about $69,000 for a year of treatment, an unaffordable amount for most Indian households. Under the licence, Natco will sell the same medicine at 3% of this price, while paying a licence fee – and still make a profit.
But now Barack Obama's administration has weighed in on behalf of Bayer's battle for continued monopoly pricing. Testifying before the House of Representatives subcommittee on intellectual property on 27 June, the deputy director of the US Patent and Trademark Office said US officials are "constantly being there on the ground" pressuring the Indian government to desist from compulsory licensing.
It is not only Indian patients who stand to suffer from this triple-pronged attack. So, too, will charities such as Médecins Sans Frontières, which relies on Indian generic producers to supply 80% of the antiretrovirals it uses around the world. As MSF spokeswoman Leena Menghaney puts it, India is "literally the lifeline of patients in the developing world". In 2006, MSF launched an international campaign against Novartis, signed by half a million people, including Archbishop Desmond Tutu and the author John le Carré, to get Novartis to drop their pursuit of what the campaign argues is exploitation.The campaign may not have reckoned on the scale of the assault under way, however. It is not only the pharmaceutical industry that needs to be addressed but the continued and ruthless lobbying by western politicians to secure the profitability of their own industries.
We ought to be asking why governments in the rich world still seem happy to checkmate the lives of poor people to save their political skins. And why the pharmaceutical industry sees India as such a threat. Could it be that they detect the whiff of real competition?

h
AbhiJ
BRFite

Post by AbhiJ »

Seems a New Form of Separatism Psy-Ops is against us.

Have heard many time Pakis inciting the Sikhs as They don't have their own country. We Muslims got our own, Sikhs have yet to get it.

Then comes the Bangladeshi Munnas - We Got out Country while the Paschim walas are the Slaves of North Indians

The newest one is from Sinhalas - You Tamils are Slaves of North Indians. You failed to Get your Own Country.