MRCA News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Juggi G
BRFite
Posts: 1070
Joined: 11 Mar 2007 19:16
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Juggi G » 23 Apr 2010 17:34

F-16 Jets : To Buy or Not to Buy
By Suman Sharma
OPEN Magazine

Viv S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5303
Joined: 03 Jan 2010 00:46

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Viv S » 23 Apr 2010 23:07

Shatack wrote:such funny, :rotfl: sorry!

any electronic beaming doppler will be quicker and superior to any mecha radar, at any range!


Range is where the RBE2 is outdone and the article on the Singapore competition said as much. And this relates to the RBE2 AA as well - the small size of the Rafale's nose is a big limitation on the aggregate power radiated by the radar.

Captor isa RDY2 generation one, everyone has the right to dream! its free


I'm glad to know you're not paying for that right.

GaN HEMT wafer are produced for years, you need somes knowledges about it, it was the main job of korrigan, get basis! now producing ultra sensitive gaN MMic for defense is another story out of korrigan perimeter!


I see you've missed the point again, which was Thales isn't the only company working on GaN AESAs. And given the development status so far, it isn't a factor as far as the MMRCA is concerned.

thales produce Gaas in germany, and will produce GaN in france in 2012, this Gaas mmic wasn't produced in europe when they started AESA tests in the 90's for the rafale!


As before, I must repeat myself, GaN AESAs are nowhere near production and it wishful thinking to claim Thales has stolen a march over Raytheon in fielding an operational AESA with GaN modules.

Viv S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5303
Joined: 03 Jan 2010 00:46

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Viv S » 23 Apr 2010 23:14

Juggi G wrote:F-16 Jets : To Buy or Not to Buy
By Suman Sharma
OPEN Magazine


I don't think we need to read too much into it. 'The US seems determined to change the rules midway' is a silly exaggeration. They simply suggested we ought to buy American jets and source them through the FMS route. India politely declined. Period.

Edit: Hadn't read the journos name. Makes sense now.
Last edited by Viv S on 23 Apr 2010 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

Kartik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5193
Joined: 04 Feb 2004 12:31

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Kartik » 23 Apr 2010 23:40

I didn't see this news posted. So posting it in full

Meteor on Gripen now has 'go to war' capability

Jane's has reported that Sweden is accelerating plans to fully integrate the MBDA Meteor Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile (BVRAAM) on the Gripen. Rapid availability of the Meteor is seen as a key capability for export customers. Swedish programme sources have told Jane's that a lot of development work has already been completed with Gripen and that the missile is now functional on the Swedish fighter, with a 'go to war' capability available today.

Meteor is a European collaborative programme between the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Spain, Sweden and Germany. The missile is planned to be the primary BVR air-to-air missile for all the modern European fighter aircraft; Gripen, Eurofighter and Rafale.

Saab became involved in the Meteor programme as early as 2003, when Saab Bofors Dynamics was awarded a contract to develop and produce the prototype of the missile. The same year, Saab Aerosystems was awarded a contract for the integration of Meteor on the Gripen. Saab therefore plays a key and prominent role within the Meteor programme.

Gripen is the first and so far only fighter aircraft which has air-launched the Meteor missile. The first Air Launched Demonstration firing took place in 2006.

While the UK is leading the Meteor development programme, all airborne test work to date has used Swedish assets because of a series of delays with other intended test platforms, chiefly the Eurofighter Typhoon. The UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) has now acknowledged a previously unreported Meteor firing that took place in 2009. An MoD statement to Jane's said the test "was was conducted on 3 June 2009 from a Gripen aircraft against a Mirach subscale target at the Hebrides range. This firing successfully tested the ability of the missile to acquire and track a target at low altitude with a sea clutter background. This was the first trial using the pre-production standard of hardware".

To date six Meteor firings have been acknowledged since May 2006 - all undertaken by Saab Gripens.


article link

archan
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6821
Joined: 03 Aug 2007 21:30
Contact:

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby archan » 24 Apr 2010 04:32

Question: Does this development change anything vis-a-vis Indian testing?

shukla
BRFite
Posts: 1727
Joined: 17 Aug 2009 20:50
Location: Land of Oz!

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby shukla » 24 Apr 2010 13:00

X-post..

UK to send EF's for war games with India....

Come October and the skies over Jangalmahal will resonate to the sound of powerful jet engines. Pilots of the Royal Air Force (RAF) in Eurofighter Typhoons will match their skills against the IAF's flying aces in Indradhanush 2010 the third in a series of joint air exercises between India and the UK.

This is the first time that the RAF would be participating in war games at Air Force Station Kalaikunda. "The IAF will fly Sukhois, Mig-29s and Mirage-2000s. Till now, the RAF has maintained that Typhoons and Tornados would participate. They are looking forward to their visit as Kalaikunda offers a lot," an IAF officer said.


http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 850788.cms

sunilpatel
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 46
Joined: 27 Mar 2010 17:11

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby sunilpatel » 24 Apr 2010 14:14

Every one is in the news except Rafale & mig...seems they have given up....

shukla
BRFite
Posts: 1727
Joined: 17 Aug 2009 20:50
Location: Land of Oz!

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby shukla » 24 Apr 2010 17:11

sunilpatel wrote:Every one is in the news except Rafale & mig...seems they have given up....


Rafale never seemed to be in the news.. at the moment seems to caught up with Brazil anyway...

Shatack
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 55
Joined: 15 Apr 2010 22:06

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Shatack » 25 Apr 2010 07:01

Viv S wrote:Range is where the RBE2 is outdone and the article on the Singapore competition said as much. And this relates to the RBE2 AA as well - the small size of the Rafale's nose is a big limitation on the aggregate power radiated by the radar.



well, i see now where's from your sources, fanboyos journalism, Rbe2 range is classified, i doubt that any magazines knows about it, anyway if its outdone with 15 wins over Captor, how would you spell the adjectiv for the CAPTOR ? out dated? :rotfl:

Well i doubt that in europe someone got the skill and budget allowed to the CEA and Thales working to produce gaN mmics, write my words, 2014! :wink:

Viv S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5303
Joined: 03 Jan 2010 00:46

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Viv S » 25 Apr 2010 07:12

Shatack wrote:
well, i see now where's from your sources, fanboyos journalism, Rbe2 range is classified, i doubt that any magazines knows about it, anyway if its outdone with 15 wins over Captor, how would you spell the adjectiv for the CAPTOR ? out dated? :rotfl:


That explains why the Rafale lost in the Singapore competition. I suppose Dassault told the Singaporeans to buzz off when the radar's range was enquired about. And your 15 wins claim is simply hot air so far.

Well i doubt that in europe someone got the skill and budget allowed to the CEA and Thales working to produce gaN mmics, write my words, 2014! :wink: x


First it was 2012, now its its 2014. I suppose it'll be 2016 in your next post. Anyways, Thales supposedly super futuristic technologies aren't relevant to the MMRCA contract because the existing Rafale proposal includes a GaAs based AESA.

Guddu
BRFite
Posts: 941
Joined: 01 Dec 2008 06:22

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Guddu » 25 Apr 2010 07:20

shukla wrote:
sunilpatel wrote:Every one is in the news except Rafale & mig...seems they have given up....


Rafale never seemed to be in the news.. at the moment seems to caught up with Brazil anyway...


Unless there is some Chanakyan ploy here...it seems to me (speculations):
1. Mig 35 is out...GOI wants to diversify from the bear.
2. F-16 is out: who wants a paki bird
3. Rafael is out: its expensive and not much political capital to gain.
What remains is a choice between F-18, Gripen and Typhoon. I would guess the factors that GOI will consider are:
1. Extent of tech transfer
2. Price
3. Political capital: will be perhaps the most important factor.
4. Cutting edge technology in bird.

F-18: Unkil can get the deal, if they behave nice, and I think they will be given that chance. I would expect unkil to make suitable gestures criticising or even stopping weapons transfers (that they have promised)...to pakis.
Typhoon: If unkil shows bad manners, Typhoon is in the running, the tech is good, but the price is steep. Unfortunately less to gain in terms of political clout.
Gripen: They are the third choice in terms of political clout...but they probably give the most bang for the buck.

Shatack
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 55
Joined: 15 Apr 2010 22:06

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Shatack » 25 Apr 2010 08:10

Viv S wrote:
That explains why the Rafale lost in the Singapore competition. I suppose Dassault told the Singaporeans to buzz off when the radar's range was enquired about. And your 15 wins claim is simply hot air so far.

First it was 2012, now its its 2014. I suppose it'll be 2016 in your next post. Anyways, Thales supposedly super futuristic technologies aren't relevant to the MMRCA contract because the existing Rafale proposal includes a GaAs based AESA.


GaN AESa operational!

as about sing lose, this so poor Rbe2 radar still won over the captor, as in every place where both plane were challenging evaluations, and the wins over typhoon are well informed around medias, and not from fanboyos journalists, but by actors themselves!

live with it, that's life! 8)

Viv S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5303
Joined: 03 Jan 2010 00:46

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Viv S » 25 Apr 2010 08:50

Shatack wrote:GaN AESa operational!


Good god :shock: First 2012, then 2014, now 2010. You know what... lets assume the GaN AESAs are indeed operational. What does it have to do with the MMRCA competition when the Dassault proposal obviously doesn't include the (so far fictional) GaN AESA?

as about sing lose, this so poor Rbe2 radar still won over the captor, as in every place where both plane were challenging evaluations, and the wins over typhoon are well informed around medias, and not from fanboyos journalists, but by actors themselves!

live with it, that's life!


The same 'well informed medias'(also known as blogs) asaid the Rafale had an at-par kill ratio against the F-22. And then it turned out, the F-22s didn't even deign to paint the Rafales with their radars, resorting instead to easy passive kills.

All these supposed claims are gospel, if you're a Rafale fanboy, but don't fly on a forum where wild speculation isn't welcomed.

shyamd
BRF Oldie
Posts: 6828
Joined: 08 Aug 2006 18:43

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby shyamd » 26 Apr 2010 01:36

IMO, Rafale is out! EF is a maybe because its predominantly A2A. Unproven A2G - But perhaps too hard to rule out. F-16old and out.
Not sure about Gripen - similar to LCA.
F-18 - US strings attached.
Mig29k - I dont think the Ruskies believe they will win either. We want to diversify from Russkies anyway.

I think its gonna be the EuroFighter. Yup, sure we can work on A2G I suppose, lets see how the Omani guys find it in the A2G role.

Viv S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5303
Joined: 03 Jan 2010 00:46

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Viv S » 26 Apr 2010 02:29

shyamd wrote:I think its gonna be the EuroFighter. Yup, sure we can work on A2G I suppose, lets see how the Omani guys find it in the A2G role.


Well, its got a somewhat lower payload and range, but can employ cruise missiles, anti-tank munitions, Paveways, JDAMs, ARMs, AShMs... the works. It can also operate effectively in a heavy jamming environment, has a SAR with terrain mapping etc., and has excellent performance at low altitudes too. Its a pretty good fit for the IAF in an air to ground role as well.

Brahmananda
BRFite
Posts: 174
Joined: 21 Mar 2010 22:09

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Brahmananda » 26 Apr 2010 11:30

EF still remains very expensive plus its A2G abilities havent been fully developed. Gr8 airplanes but it isn't going very good with some of the users. I think it comes down to Gripen NG and SH. SH wins if they offer full-tot and source code customizaion, moreover we have much gain politically going with unkil.

Bharadwaj
BRFite
Posts: 321
Joined: 09 Oct 2006 11:09

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Bharadwaj » 26 Apr 2010 12:50

I was(and still am) hoping it would be EF since the airframe is one generation ahead of the solaah,mig and the sewer but since its not likely to be l1 and does not have a geo politcal edge going for it, one doubts if it would win. Maybe the best solution is to buy the Uae+Qatar mirages and drag out the mmrca deal to get the best possible leverage.

Venu
BRFite
Posts: 158
Joined: 26 Oct 2009 17:23
Location: rimbola..rimbola

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Venu » 26 Apr 2010 14:28

Don't the generation of an airframe is dependent on the standard sensor suit that it carries, rather than the when the design is contemplated?

Not a great fan of MiG, but not convinced with the statement - EF is Y-gen and all else are X-gen's.

Shatack
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 55
Joined: 15 Apr 2010 22:06

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Shatack » 26 Apr 2010 16:11

Viv S wrote:
The same 'well informed medias'(also known as blogs) asaid the Rafale had an at-par kill ratio against the F-22. And then it turned out, the F-22s didn't even deign to paint the Rafales with their radars, resorting instead to easy passive kills.

All these supposed claims are gospel, if you're a Rafale fanboy, but don't fly on a forum where wild speculation isn't welcomed.


I can uderstand your poor knowledges if you are sourcing on fan boys blogs!

wild speculations from senior air force debreif mindef room reported into Air Force Monthly? :rotfl:

eurofighter a low alt genius? Eurofighter has SAR? LPI? :lol:

well, forget it! austrians doesn't have US troops on thier soil as singapore, and without pressures can talk about how poor that european pooding perform about reliability!

Shatack
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 55
Joined: 15 Apr 2010 22:06

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Shatack » 26 Apr 2010 16:16

shyamd wrote:IMO, Rafale is out! EF is a maybe because its predominantly A2A. Unproven A2G - But perhaps too hard to rule out. F-16old and out.
Not sure about Gripen - similar to LCA.
F-18 - US strings attached.
Mig29k - I dont think the Ruskies believe they will win either. We want to diversify from Russkies anyway.

I think its gonna be the EuroFighter. Yup, sure we can work on A2G I suppose, lets see how the Omani guys find it in the A2G role.


out at 2.8$billions for 36 planes? typhoon isn't even AoA genius, having lost most on this matter against challengers ..

Henrik
BRFite
Posts: 211
Joined: 10 Apr 2010 15:55
Location: Southern Sweden

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Henrik » 26 Apr 2010 17:05

Shatack wrote:
Viv S wrote:
The same 'well informed medias'(also known as blogs) asaid the Rafale had an at-par kill ratio against the F-22. And then it turned out, the F-22s didn't even deign to paint the Rafales with their radars, resorting instead to easy passive kills.

All these supposed claims are gospel, if you're a Rafale fanboy, but don't fly on a forum where wild speculation isn't welcomed.


I can uderstand your poor knowledges if you are sourcing on fan boys blogs!

wild speculations from senior air force debreif mindef room reported into Air Force Monthly? :rotfl:

eurofighter a low alt genius? Eurofighter has SAR? LPI? :lol:

well, forget it! austrians doesn't have US troops on thier soil as singapore, and without pressures can talk about how poor that european pooding perform about reliability!

Not to be rude or anything but what you hear from a french pilot isn't more reliable then an article in Air Force Monthly.

Then EF and SAR.. With the new AESA radar that should be a problem solved.

Brahmananda
BRFite
Posts: 174
Joined: 21 Mar 2010 22:09

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Brahmananda » 26 Apr 2010 17:59

Rafale is pure hype IMO, so far no orders atleast EF has many orders going for it.

Jean_M
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 60
Joined: 26 Aug 2008 16:08
Location: Paris surroundings

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Jean_M » 26 Apr 2010 18:25

To others, I'm sorry about wat will follow.

Shatack wouldn't you be known on some forums as Grabber56 ? (I'm just hoping you're not actually some other troll called Fonk or whatever)
I had some difficulties to understand why french were often called arrogant on foreign boards. Reading your posts I begin to see light (and it's red).

Whoever you may be, as a fellow french and Rafale lover I may remind you that unilateral shouting isn't a way to share point of views or convince people. Your ill-placed and oversized pride in Rafale (I hope you at least worked on it to be boasting like this) as well as your inability to refrain when expressing yourself makes you nothing else than a troll, which, by the way causes more harm than good to your cause.

What's the use of shooting (and shouting) at other competitors if you are so confident in yours ? Wouldn't figures, facts and debates be enough for any people with a bit of common sense to understand your views ? Oh it's true, truth isn't always as we dreamed it to be and people do not always tend to agree on one's point of view. I've been told this has something to do with our condition as humans. Well, that's life, pal, bear with it and don't bother worsening anymore our reputation, please.

I'd be happy to read your yet-to-come instructive and constructive posts.

Henrik
BRFite
Posts: 211
Joined: 10 Apr 2010 15:55
Location: Southern Sweden

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Henrik » 26 Apr 2010 19:39

Jean_M wrote:To others, I'm sorry about wat will follow.

Shatack wouldn't you be known on some forums as Grabber56 ? (I'm just hoping you're not actually some other troll called Fonk or whatever)
I had some difficulties to understand why french were often called arrogant on foreign boards. Reading your posts I begin to see light (and it's red).

Whoever you may be, as a fellow french and Rafale lover I may remind you that unilateral shouting isn't a way to share point of views or convince people. Your ill-placed and oversized pride in Rafale (I hope you at least worked on it to be boasting like this) as well as your inability to refrain when expressing yourself makes you nothing else than a troll, which, by the way causes more harm than good to your cause.

What's the use of shooting (and shouting) at other competitors if you are so confident in yours ? Wouldn't figures, facts and debates be enough for any people with a bit of common sense to understand your views ? Oh it's true, truth isn't always as we dreamed it to be and people do not always tend to agree on one's point of view. I've been told this has something to do with our condition as humans. Well, that's life, pal, bear with it and don't bother worsening anymore our reputation, please.

I'd be happy to read your yet-to-come instructive and constructive posts.

That is a sensible and balanced post, well done!

RKumar
BRFite
Posts: 1220
Joined: 26 Jul 2009 12:29
Location: Evolution is invention, explosion is destruction.

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby RKumar » 26 Apr 2010 19:48

Jean_M wrote:...


Nice to see your post after a long time .... Any new information from fr regarding Mirage upgrade, brazil & middle east in Rafale context.

RKumar
BRFite
Posts: 1220
Joined: 26 Jul 2009 12:29
Location: Evolution is invention, explosion is destruction.

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby RKumar » 26 Apr 2010 20:11

Came across good article ... sorry if it already posted ....

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/mir ... ges-01989/

25-40 million $ a planes
Presumably, Lockheed’s “Block 70” :eek: offering would be an upgraded version of the F-16E Block 60 “Desert Falcon” currently serving with the UAE.... Weaknesses include the fact that Pakistan also flies F-16s


The Gripen is a true 4th+ generation lightweight fighter and significantly more capable than category competitors like the F-16 and Mirage 2000.... The JAS-39’s drawbacks include its short range;


The MiG-29’s biggest weaknesses were short range, engines that produce telltale smoke (very bad in air combat) and lack of true multi-role capability; the MiG-35 largely fixes these issues, and may even add an AESA radar of its own if Phazotron-NIIR can have its new Zhuk-AE ready in time


~100 million $ a planes
Weaknesses include the aircraft’s $100+ million expense, which may stretch India’s budget to the breaking point; the fact it’s a new aircraft type for the IAF so the entire support infrastructure would have to be developed; its lack of naval capability; the developmental status of its CAESAR (Captor AESA Radar) technology; and the non-existent geopolitical benefits of selecting it. Given the Eurofighter’s performance and costs, simply buying more SU-30MKIs would appear to make far more sense


advantages include carrier capability, powerful AN/APG-79 AESA radar ...Weaknesses of the Super Hornet platform include deep distrust of America’s reliability as an arms supplier, technology transfer concerns, and the aircraft’s expense. Given the costs to other customers so far, it seems unlikely that Boeing can deliver 126 fully-equipped F/A-18 E/F Block II aircraft for just $10.2 billion, let alone aircraft plus lifetime support. The Super Hornet also offers poorer aerodynamic performance than the Eurofighter or Rafale, due to inherent airframe limitations.


carrier capability in the Rafale-M, superior aerodynamic performance, The Rafale claims “supercruise” capability, but observers are skeptical....Weaknesses include the continuing absence of a compatible surveillance and advanced targeting pod, the need for additional funds and work to integrate many non-French weapons if one wishes to use them on the Rafale, and its lack of an AESA radar until Thales finishes developing the RBE2-AA. The Rafale’s failure to win any export competitions is also an issue – one that reaches beyond mere perception of “also-ran” status. As Singapore’s choice has shown, export failures are already forcing cuts in future Rafale procurement, in order to pay for modernization. That dynamic is likely to get worse over the next 30 years.

Viv S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5303
Joined: 03 Jan 2010 00:46

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Viv S » 26 Apr 2010 20:21

Brahmananda wrote:EF still remains very expensive plus its A2G abilities havent been fully developed. Gr8 airplanes but it isn't going very good with some of the users. I think it comes down to Gripen NG and SH. SH wins if they offer full-tot and source code customizaion, moreover we have much gain politically going with unkil.


I don't think we can really tell how expensive the EF is yet, especially when its being manufactured/assembled at HAL. The variant that the IAF will be receiving will have a full spectrum of air-to-ground capabilities. The Superhornet is a pretty good option too(a close second IMO). Even if the EF is marginally more expensive than the other Eurocanards, that can be somewhat offset by ordering the EJ-200 for the Tejas MkII(unlike the F414 it will not entail a major redesign and therefore further delay). Also, joining the EF consortium, will give the IAF a certain degree of influence over the EF's future growth path.

Viv S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5303
Joined: 03 Jan 2010 00:46

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Viv S » 26 Apr 2010 20:31

Shatack wrote:
I can uderstand your poor knowledges if you are sourcing on fan boys blogs!

wild speculations from senior air force debreif mindef room reported into Air Force Monthly? :rotfl:


Bollocks! Most of this originated from a French journos blog. Tanguy or something I think, who said it came from a French pilot.

eurofighter a low alt genius? Eurofighter has SAR? LPI? :lol:


It is a part of EF's MMRCA proposal. Unlike the fictional GaN AESA from Thales.

well, forget it! austrians doesn't have US troops on thier soil as singapore, and without pressures can talk about how poor that european pooding perform about reliability!


Yeah. Blame it all on politics.

Bharadwaj
BRFite
Posts: 321
Joined: 09 Oct 2006 11:09

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Bharadwaj » 26 Apr 2010 20:35

Venu wrote:Don't the generation of an airframe is dependent on the standard sensor suit that it carries, rather than the when the design is contemplated?

Not a great fan of MiG, but not convinced with the statement - EF is Y-gen and all else are X-gen's.


A key factor for BVR combat is supersonic agility and the EF has supposedly been designed from ground up to suit this role. The sewer is known to be a pretty draggy bird and all its yankee avionics/sensors won't be worth a dime if it cant maneuver out of the area quickly after the first bvr shot.

Jean_M
BRFite -Trainee
Posts: 60
Joined: 26 Aug 2008 16:08
Location: Paris surroundings

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Jean_M » 26 Apr 2010 20:53

RKumar wrote:
Jean_M wrote:...


Nice to see your post after a long time .... Any new information from fr regarding Mirage upgrade, brazil & middle east in Rafale context.


Thank you, I'm coming here at least once a week but there hasn't been much news on Rafale to post these days (only rumors, once good, once bad, nothing credible).

Some small news anyway:
- Talks with UAE are reaching their final phase: price negociations. We still don't know who wil buy back the 2000-9. As you have already been told, a rumor states that India could buy them instead of updating its own exemplaries. No news either on the technical options (9T M88) and weapon package UAE asked.

- equipments/weapons to be declared operational on Rafale this year:
damocles LDP (10 pods ordered in 2008)
GBU-24 (central point and underwing)
exocet antiship missile
AREOS (reco NG) observation pod

- Brazil still unclear, last news were that we should have more news by the 5th of May...

- Last time I heard of it, Indian Mirage update was said to be a done deal minus this last rumor on UAE's 2000-9... Anyway, It was said Indians asked for a block very similar to -9 for their upgrade.

NRao
BRF Oldie
Posts: 16548
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: Illini Nation

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby NRao » 26 Apr 2010 21:22

Jean_M,

Two questions for you.

1) Does France feel that there is a REAL need (from the French PoV) to invest as a nation in such newer technologies? If yes, why? (just curious)
2) Any news related to the Kaveri engine from France? Gossip or rumors are welcome.

TIA.

RKumar
BRFite
Posts: 1220
Joined: 26 Jul 2009 12:29
Location: Evolution is invention, explosion is destruction.

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby RKumar » 26 Apr 2010 21:34

Jean_M thank you for the input .... I really hope fr soon get at least 1-2 deals ... so that Rafale can get more upgrade and India might get a discount on it :mrgreen:

Ameet
BRFite
Posts: 841
Joined: 17 Nov 2006 02:49

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Ameet » 27 Apr 2010 02:15

India Misses Date to Buy 126 Jets, Asks Vendors to Renew Bids

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-0 ... -bids.html

“The companies have been informed by the government that they can extend their bids for one more year,” said Kar. “They have the option of increasing or decreasing their price.”

“By the recent track record, the cost of these aircraft generally goes up by 7 percent to 10 percent each year,” Suman said in a phone interview.

Sweden’s Saab AB will make no change in its bid, said Eddy de la Motte, who heads the company’s campaign in India.

shukla
BRFite
Posts: 1727
Joined: 17 Aug 2009 20:50
Location: Land of Oz!

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby shukla » 27 Apr 2010 04:40

^^^ This a golden opportunity for EF and Rafale to improve their chances...especially Rafale..

VinodTK
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2323
Joined: 18 Jun 2000 11:31

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby VinodTK » 27 Apr 2010 05:06

Ameet wrote:India Misses Date to Buy 126 Jets, Asks Vendors to Renew Bids

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-0 ... -bids.html


This is bad; Wonder why the government is not making the call! It would have been good for the Govt. to be transparent and let the people of the country know as to why the deadline is being extended, and it is asking vendors to renew bids.

nachiket
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7558
Joined: 02 Dec 2008 10:49

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby nachiket » 27 Apr 2010 08:14

VinodTK wrote:
Ameet wrote:India Misses Date to Buy 126 Jets, Asks Vendors to Renew Bids

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-0 ... -bids.html


This is bad; Wonder why the government is not making the call! It would have been good for the Govt. to be transparent and let the people of the country know as to why the deadline is being extended, and it is asking vendors to renew bids.


We already know why it is being extended. The financial bids submitted were valid only for one year and that time has elapsed without the bids being opened since the technical evaluations took more time than expected. As per the RFP, the financial bids are invalid and new ones have to be submitted.

Kartik
BRF Oldie
Posts: 5193
Joined: 04 Feb 2004 12:31

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Kartik » 27 Apr 2010 08:22

nachiket wrote:We already know why it is being extended. The financial bids submitted were valid only for one year and that time has elapsed without the bids being opened since the technical evaluations took more time than expected. As per the RFP, the financial bids are invalid and new ones have to be submitted.


actually they were valid for 2 years, not one year. the date they were submitted on was April 28, 2008.

nachiket
Forum Moderator
Posts: 7558
Joined: 02 Dec 2008 10:49

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby nachiket » 27 Apr 2010 08:24

Kartik wrote:
nachiket wrote:We already know why it is being extended. The financial bids submitted were valid only for one year and that time has elapsed without the bids being opened since the technical evaluations took more time than expected. As per the RFP, the financial bids are invalid and new ones have to be submitted.


actually they were valid for 2 years, not one year. the date they were submitted on was April 28, 2008.


My bad. :oops:

Cain Marko
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4296
Joined: 26 Jun 2005 10:26

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Cain Marko » 27 Apr 2010 10:53

So what now? Is this a ploy to allow a further increase in budget? "Oh wot to do, everything is so slow - now prices have increased even more" = $ 15 billion budget wonlee. We thusly accommodate the otherwise impossible purchase of fancy toys such as the Shornet, EF, Rafale!

Or perhaps this is a chance for the IAF to grab the Gripen and for Saab to show just how considerate it is by not jacking up the price.

What a bloody circus!

CM.

Brahmananda
BRFite
Posts: 174
Joined: 21 Mar 2010 22:09

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Postby Brahmananda » 27 Apr 2010 10:59

well Rafale and EF wont be able to add anything else to the bid firstly because of their high cost per flight hour, so even if They reduce their price, the cost per flight hour will not be worth it. Over their life times, F-18SH and Gripen NG make more sense. Gripen has lowest cost per life time of operation, SH has the lowest for a twin engined aircraft. With the already available AESA, new engines and other off the shelf components and being the lowest cost to operate in their classes of single andtwin engined fighters, they stand the highest chance of winning. LCA mk-2 will have some major changes including larger wings, more hardpoints, so with changes the GE actually is better placed to win the engine contest as well because it has more thrust and cater better to LCA weight increase.


Return to “Trash Can Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests