Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP), Feb. 26, 2010

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Brad Goodman
BRF Oldie

Re: Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP), Feb. 26, 2010

Post by Brad Goodman »

Sorry if this has been posted. This article from New Yorker is really interesting and recommended read to all

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009 ... ntPage=all

Article is by Seymour M. Hersh titled Defending the Arsenal

Article talks about Paki nuclear security from Unkil's perpective.
Last edited by Brad Goodman on 09 Apr 2010 00:58, edited 3 times in total.
Brad Goodman
BRF Oldie

Post by Brad Goodman »

Carl_T wrote:Why not just bury the terrorists somewhere and move on? I don't think they will care either way what we do with the bodies. Either way it will be spun around to suit their ends.
The only worry I have here is that tomorrow if that burial location becomes known there is a chance that it will be turned into a shrine. Example during Shivaji's time one of bijapur general called Afzal Khan came to kill him and Shivaji outfoxed and killed him. His grave is at foothills of Pratapgarh fort in Maharashtra and the story of his death a folklore. But recently that grave has been turned into a mazar and many devotees come to pray at the grave site. Also during last year Ganpati celebrations there were riots in town of Miraj over a display of his killing.

This is why its better to burn and dispose ash in some nala or ocean.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Brad Goodman wrote:Sorry if this has been posted. This article from New Yorker is really interesting and recommended read to all

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009 ... ntPage=all
I didn't know they used this kind of language in that magazine:
A senior Pakistani official who has close ties to Zardari exploded with anger during an interview when the subject turned to the American demands for more information about the arsenal. After the September 11th attacks, he said, there had been an understanding between the Bush Administration and then President Pervez Musharraf “over what Pakistan had and did not have.” Today, he said, “you’d like control of our day-to-day deployment. But why should we give it to you? Even if there was a military coup d’état in Pakistan, no one is going to give up total control of our nuclear weapons. Never. Why are you not afraid of India’s nuclear weapons?” the official asked. “Because India is your friend, and the longtime policies of America and India converge. Between you and the Indians, you will ****** us in every way. The truth is that our weapons are less of a problem for the Obama Administration than finding a respectable way out of Afghanistan.”

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009 ... z0kXPW6NsQ
Brad Goodman
BRF Oldie

Post by Brad Goodman »

Apart from language there were few pieces that really stood out from the article
I flew to New Delhi after my stay in Pakistan and met with two senior officials from the Research and Analysis Wing, India’s national intelligence agency. (Of course, as in Pakistan, no allegation about the other side should be taken at face value.) “Our worries are about the nuclear weapons in Pakistan,” one of the officials said. “Not because we are worried about the mullahs taking over the country; we’re worried about those senior officers in the Pakistan Army who are Caliphates”—believers in a fundamentalist pan-Islamic state. “We know some of them and we have names,” he said. “We’ve been watching colonels who are now brigadiers. These are the guys who could blackmail the whole world”—that is, by seizing a nuclear weapon
Officials and journalists said that soldiers and middle-level officers were increasingly attracted to the preaching of Zaid Hamid, who joined the mujahideen and fought for nine years in Afghanistan. On CDs and on television, Hamid exhorts soldiers to think of themselves as Muslims first and Pakistanis second. He claims that terrorist attacks in Mumbai last year were staged by India and Western Zionists, aided by the Mossad. Another proselytizer, Dr. Israr Ahmed, writes a column in the Urdu press in which he depicts the Holocaust as “divine punishment,” and advocates the extermination of the Jews. He, too, is said to be popular with the officer corps.
some funny snippets
The former high-level Bush Administration official was just as blunt. “If a Pakistani general is talking to you about nuclear issues, and his lips are moving, he’s lying,” he said. “The Pakistanis wouldn’t share their secrets with anybody, and certainly not with a country that, from their point of view, used them like a Dixie cup and then threw them away.”
:lol:
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

A must watch -Paki TV with Najim Sethi
The best part is at 4:30, when he says "Dekhia seedhi baat hai ki hum hai bukhey nangay" LOL :rotfl:
Translation: The simple fact is we Pakis are hungry beggars. We have no self esteem, we can't stand on our feet. India stood up on it's feet from the very first day. LOL

Then he goes on to praise India!

[youtube]rpcFB7hqDWc&feature=related[/youtube]
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Err not to be chote muhe badi baath, but shouldnt the word in the Hersh article be Caliphites (adherents of the Caliph) instead of Caliphates which means form of government by a Caliph?
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Another one of those "Yindia should make biss with Pakistan for Pakistan to rein in terror groups who are not in Pakistan's control anyway, though these groups were started due to calculated national skurity objectives" articles. If you post comments, please be respectful and no angry and get your views across calmly.

I couldnt resist and posted a sarcastic comment whipping the author's musharraf. He replied, I whipped his musharraf again. And did an encore to it. 3 comments are mine with the same handle.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/faiz-lala ... 30678.html
anishns
BRFite

Post by anishns »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpcFB7hqDWc

Watch 0:33 to 0:36!
presenter uses the phrase "saari Ram Katha..." :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

If method of burial is indicative of possible use by POWI dwellers as proof of religion - lets see : since the Jihadis were buried, they could be Yehudis too, or Christians, even Buddhists of certain sects, and some Shaivaite sects evenw ithin Hindus, and certain Vaishnava sects again within Hindus! Cremation could equally create problems - for a Papal ruling allows cremation for Catholics now. The Japanese cremate. Oh what a mess!
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

brihaspati wrote:If method of burial is indicative of possible use by POWI dwellers as proof of religion - lets see : since the Jihadis were buried, they could be Yehudis too, or Christians, even Buddhists of certain sects, and some Shaivaite sects evenw ithin Hindus, and certain Vaishnava sects again within Hindus! Cremation could equally create problems - for a Papal ruling allows cremation for Catholics now. The Japanese cremate. Oh what a mess!
Ironic indeed.

Alas! [sic] secular India can't even cremate/bury/freeze/do-something these terrorists without getting mired in religious conundrum. Jai Ho "Aman ki Nir-aasha"
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Just one correction, its Pseudo Secular India . Humungous amount of difference in moral paradigm where one is acting under the moral sestivity dilemma and other side clearly knows, define and operates with time honored technical manual with clear methods like jibah, kaffir ,right hand possesion ,booty etc as well certainty of divine rewards of base animalistic pleasures. We do truly live in kalyug .
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

surinder wrote: Burial does preserves genetic material. Do we then bury the "Hindu" or "Budhist" atankvaadis too? I am pretty sure we don't bury them. I do not think we are motivated by forensic considerations. One question, do medical colleges need a fully intact cadaver? Can they not take in partial caddies?

Now you are really setting me off.. :wink:
Let me start with an OT point. 20% of Karnataka's population are "Lingayats" who bury their dead.

Medical colleges to train young medical students require fully intact cadavers. However anatomy departments that might want to display intricate anatomy of some part in a pickle jar may accept well preserved body parts. Also anatomy postgraduates who may be studying one body part like the hand or penis may well part bodies if there is a supplier.

Forensic pathology departments who train postgraduates may appreciate mutilated corpses to show what injuries do - but the injuries from war are very limited and humans have a wider variety of innovative ways of killing themselves - like ruptured organs from drinking a bottle of coke in one go or choking on a table tennis ball.

But let me sink into nostalgia and score a point for burial. In my student days (probably now as well) every medical student was expected to own a full skeleton (as separate non-joined up bones). Every facet, groove and bump on every bone in the body has a meaning and significance and I must admit I studied all that rather well and it still helps me to this day.

But the day we were told to acquire that skeleton we had no idea until an obviously illiterate man in a lungi and vest turned up at my hostel room door and said that he was the "regular" bones supplier. I paid him the money and he showed up with a box full of bones, skull and all - with every single bone intact and accounted for - even the tips of the little toes. This "illiterate" lungi clad man knew more anatomy (of bones) than I did at the time. In later years I realised that the man was basically getting the bones from graves - in regular parlance that would be "grave robbery" or grave desecration. But like generations of surgeons I too have had to depend on a grave robber to learn anatomy well. On a side note - all sentiment and ideology about graves and the dead gets discarded very soon. A grave robber is an early friend and co conspirator in the business of learning how to "save lives" and a dead man's bones my companions for nearly a decade. I often thought about that dead man - holding his skull - mostly thanking him for being dead and having every anatomical feature preserved for my benefit.

Of course synthetic moulds of bones are now available but they can never ever be a substitute for the original. If you have ever had a broken bone treated - you have to thank some dead man removed from his grave who helped teach the doctor who treated you. Graves are necessary. It is important not to be dogmatic and rigid about anything either burial or exhumation. And if intact jihadi bodies can be buried and later available as bones for anatomists - so be it. And individual graves are better than mass graves for this.

Let us drop this ideological grave versus cremation subject please.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

One never knows where fiction begins and where the fact lies with Tahir Shah; but the early part of this book is an education on skeleton supply: "The Sorcerer's Apprentice".
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Anujan wrote:Another one of those "Yindia should make biss with Pakistan for Pakistan to rein in terror groups who are not in Pakistan's control anyway, though these groups were started due to calculated national skurity objectives" articles. If you post comments, please be respectful and no angry and get your views across calmly.

I couldnt resist and posted a sarcastic comment whipping the author's musharraf. He replied, I whipped his musharraf again. And did an encore to it. 3 comments are mine with the same handle.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/faiz-lala ... 30678.html
Ah Anujan, Good whipping. Like a true Paki, Faiz Lalani dug a hole for himself and didn't realize when to quit.
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

At least this Lajja-ni guy is far better than some Stalinist yellow puppets that always do a == and try to present TSP as victim. We (and I think most readers would be) should be smart enough to take facts and admissions stated in the article - that Pakistan supports terrorism and is a terrorist state. And leave out the opinions and theories of the author as involuntary release of inner-Pakistaniyat..

BTW I have added my $0.02 as rob2002 pending approval!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I have made an IndiaPakistan == comment

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/faiz-lala ... t_44231736
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Shivji,
Surinderjis feelings are normal for this forum.Surely it must be possible in this case to preserve a part of the pig's body for identification purposes and burn the rest.Even if it doesnt reach everyone in TSP,atleast some will get the message.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

svenkat wrote:Shivji,
Surinderjis feelings are normal for this forum.Surely it must be possible in this case to preserve a part of the pig's body for identification purposes and burn the rest.Even if it doesnt reach everyone in TSP,atleast some will get the message.
I am not opposing feelings. But relying on assuaging feelings to get a temporary high is not necessarily the correct thing to do. I think I have explained all that. This is going to be a repeat if I say any more. I am off this topic for now.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Lets see the TSP/US perfidy scale. For a long time it was India alleges, TSP denies. Slowly it morphed to TSP provides only moral and diplomatic support. Then it bcame "non state actors" only. And now its not fanatic Islamic jihadism but an understandable reaction borne out of insecurity. What next?
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Howmuchever we whine,US has very good reasons to support TSP.

It would be useful if forumites take this a given and come up with 'strategies' to deal with TSP/amirkhan/lizard.
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

This is progress - now they are reduced to begging Big Brother's good graces.

This is a true story....
had the 'happy occasion' of watching India-TSP final cricket match a few years ago in a Paki restaurant.

India was doing well...

Paki Uncle comments: "Daddiwala bej do, kaam finish kardege"

ok, the 'daddiwala' (bearded holy warriors) came and went too quickly! :mrgreen:

Pakis are not doing too good India is whooping their rear side!

Now the Paki Uncle comments looking at the Kaffir Indians:
"Please help out your poor neighbor, as a big brother why don't you let us win" :rotfl:

I am not making this up, but was a valuable lesson into pyskology (as Shiv would say)
They sold themselves to the Greeks, Mongols, Turks and Arabs historically.
Now they sell themselves to the highest bidder - West or China.
The only thing they remain true to is their profession!
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

Dangerous ideas

Sir: I am writing with reference to the analysis, ‘Terrorism and the denial problem’, by Dr Hasan-Askari Rizvi (Daily Times, March 28, 2010).

While visiting Delhi’s Red Fort a few years ago, I had an interesting conversation with a young Muslim religious student. When I asked him what he thought about Osama bin Laden, he told me that Indian Muslims consider bin Laden a hero for fighting against the imperialist Americans. He also told me something more interesting. He said that the Americans were not their biggest enemy. The biggest enemy were those who call themselves Muslims yet follow un-Islamic western ideas. When I asked him what western ideas he thought were un-Islamic, he told me that women’s liberation, as practiced in the west, leads to promiscuity and neglect of the family, the idea of freedom of expression promotes ***** and democracy allows non-religious parties to capture power. It seems that everything western is un-Islamic.

When I asked him what he wanted to do with the pro-western Muslims, he told me that either they should submit to shariah law or leave for the west, where they can enjoy the western lifestyle. If a religious Muslim in India, a Hindu-majority country with no chance of imposing shariah, thinks this way, it is easy to understand why the Taliban enjoy popularity among Pakistan’s masses despite their unspeakable brutality towards fellow Muslims. The educated, westernised Muslim elites in Pakistan are being seen as promoting un-Islamic western ideas and the masses have very little sympathy towards them. Unless the masses can be made to realise that the Taliban are a threat to fellow Muslims, Pakistanis are condemned to live in Islamist terror, and peace and prosperity will remain an unachievable goal.
MAHMOOD ELAHI
Ottawa, Canada
Can I just add what a peice of gobshit this is, it's from the letters section of DT but utter rubbsih all the same. I have written the same to the editor of DT in no uncertain terns
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

From GUP SHUP in TFT
Next to nothing

A national newspaper carried a prominent news story the other day, about the khakis and their minions stealing canal water from countless peasants in various districts of the Punjab. This is a common feature of the countryside across Pakistan wherever these sacred cows have been allotted land for next to nothing. In Okara district, 120 kilometers from Lahore, a retired khaki was given 50 acres of land. His neighbours were surprised, since it was in a depressed area of the old river bed, completely barren and unfit for agriculture. Within months, the land has been filled and leveled, all with the aid of the state’s machinery with trucks and land movers doing overtime to prepare the acreage. Then the retired khaki set about getting himself some water, and that was only possible by depriving other landowners in the area of the precious resource. Where people will kill and die if their share of water is tampered with, the peasantry came out in revolt and the khaki lodged a complaint. Instantaneously, the local police came out and thrashed the peasants after which they retreated to their homes in sullen silence. Within months of being allotted those barren 50 acres, the retired khaki is now extracting a handsome rent from his land, at Rs 35,000/ per acre (that’s Rs 17,50,000/ per year for doing nothing), and his neighbours whose water he’s stealing, dare not say a word.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

NUGGETS from the Urdu Press
Zardari, Nawaz American agents

Great leader Imran Khan was reported by daily Waqt as saying that both Zardari and Nawaz Sharif were 'pakka' American agents. He said when he became prime minister he would bring a case at the UN against India's grabbing of Pakistan's waters.

Sheikh Rashid, apologise for Lal Masjid!

Columnist Tayyaba Zia Cheema wrote in Nawa-e-Waqt that Sheikh Rashid was nearly killed in Rawalpindi by terrorists because he had supported Musharraf's operation against Lal Masjid in 2007. She asked him to apologise sincerely for doing so. It was wrong to accuse PML-N because the attempt on his life was androoni sazish (internal plot). {What a fall for the great Mujahid Sheikh Rashid !! The more pious do not tolerate the less pious even if they had been great friends, taller than the tallest mountains, once}

India and America did it!

Top columnist Haroon Rashid wrote in Jang that Sheikh Rashid was wrong in accusing the PML-N for trying to target-kill him in the run-up to the by-elections in Rawalpindi. It was quite clear that either India or the US had tried to kill him. He said it could be one of the terrorist groups too angry with him.

Taliban will be no more!

Writing in Jang Haroon Rashid stated that once sitting next to Imran Khan in 1999 he heard a grand old man who had 8,000 pages of Ghazwa-e-Hind (Prophet's war on India) in his trunk {Wow ! Must be a realy learned man, probably with a halo around his radiant head, and a long, white and unkempt beard that immediately commands respect. Pakistan is truly a blessed state with people like this grand old man of deep piety and strong conviction in the Ghazwa. Allah-o-Akbar. Pardon me folks, but could not contain myself after getting goosebumps after reading this nugget.} and fear say that the soon martial law would be imposed and that the Taliban would be no more. He said Hazrat Umar had taken the flag of Islam from their hands.

With India, only jihad!

Jamaatud Dawa periodical Jarrar quoted Hafiz Said as saying that with India only jihad will work and there was a national consensus on jihad. Addressing a gathering of hundreds of thousands in Karachi, he said America was breaking up. He said Indian minister Chidambaram should talk to Jamaatud Dawa and not to Pakistan government. {AoA, AoA, Insha Allah, soon enough}

Prophet PBUH and victory against India

Famous columnist Haroon Rashid wrote in Jang {of Aman ki Asha fame} that once someone came to him thrice in the night and disclosed to him a dream in which the Prophet (PBUH) appeared next to Kahuta Laboratory where the largest number of Pakistani scientists lived. The dream was also that when the dreamer ran after the American gora men to catch them with stolen uranium he saw the Prophet (PBUH) standing near a stream together with Hazrat Ali and Hazrat Umar, his companions. The Prophet (PBUH) said that he would himself supervise the war against India in which the Muslims would be led by Khalid bin Walid. {Aoa, AoA . . . this week, it is so full of goosebumps onlee. A small question, though. Did the dreamer catch the gora American with the stolen Uranium ?}

Pak girl students seduced by India

Periodical Jarrar of Jamaatud Dawa reported that an NGO pretending to take Pakistani students to India on study tours was actually taking Pakistani girls to India making them stay with Hindu families who arranged to rape them and thus make them vulnerable to blackmail. Among the girl students were girls from the best known private university of Lahore (name omitted by TFT). The paper said that ISI had arrested the NGO director who was actually working for RAW.

Which general will become chief?

Writing in Jang, Nusrat Mirza observed that army chief General Kayani was retiring in November 2010 but the government was desirous of giving an extension to General Mustafa Khan who is to retire in October 2010. The government wants to extend the service of General Kayani by two years parallel to the extension of service given to General Petraeus by the US. But General Mustafa Khan is junior way down from General Kayani by ten candidates. But if he retires in October he can't even become Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee. What is the government up to?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Where Sipah-e-Sahaba Rules - by Khaled Ahmed in TFT

Please read it completely to understand the emerging menace. PA is willing to let Seraikistan become the new FATA on the eastern borders.
The UN-banned Sipah Sahaba is now clearly the dominant political force in South Punjab. The dreaded militia declared terrorist by the UN, Jaish Muhammad, based in Bahawalpur and under state ‘protection’, is an offshoot of Sipah Sahaba because its leader Maulana Masood Azhar revered his mentor Maulana Haq Nawaz Jhangvi, the founder of Sipah Sahaba. So is the more or less moribund Harkatul Mujahideen whose leader Fazlur Rehman Khaleel was last seen in 2007 at the time of the crisis of Lal Masjid and probably lives in Islamabad also ‘under protection’. Yet another offshoot of Sipah Sahaba, Lashkar Jhangvi, is the wing that kills Shias. Its terrorist leaders are about to be exonerated and freed from jail. Notorious Akram Lahori has already been let off from Karachi. Expect more mayhem in the days to come.

Tacit acceptance of Sipah supremacy: The dominant political party in Punjab – the PML-N – was always inclined in favour of the religious parties, but its solicitation of support from the dominant Sipah in South Punjab has been noted recently. This is a realistic direction because South Punjab has become de-politicised in favour of the increasingly state-supported Deobandi-jihadi elements. Jaish is directly connected to Al Qaeda, as intelligence reports steadily report. As relations with India worsen and Jaish is primed for ‘use’ in the coming days – together with the other jihadi organisation Lashkar Tayba – the hold of Sipah over South Punjab will push all political parties out of contention. Therefore both the PML-N and the PPP are courting it for electoral support. {Khaled Ahmed foresees dire days for India}

Reported in daily Express (9 March 2010) PML N leaders were courting the banned terrorist party Sipah Sahaba – renamed Sunnat wal Jamaat- in South Punjab to win in by-elections. PML N Punjab law minister Rana Sanaullah was seen together with the Sipah leader Maulana Ahmad Ludhianvi who claimed that all politicians who won their seats in South Punjab in 2008 had approached Sipah for help. One federal minister of state had even invited Ludhianvi to his house. Daily Islam (10 March 2010) reported that Maulana Ahmad Ludhianwi said that his party should not be called terrorist as saying so would be in contempt of the court of law. He said a case in this regard was sub judice at the High Court. {Pakistan banned it as a terrorist organization on Jan. 12, 2002} He said the PPP election candidate in Haroonabad was supported by his party and this support was announced by member Javed Iqbal in the presence of Governor Salmaan Taseer.

Taliban vision is Sipah’s vision: The state has always backed the Sipah. {As simple as that}The last time it did so overtly was in 2006 when, to the shock of all who thought Musharraf was opposed to terrorism, it allowed the banned outfit to hold very large congregation in Islamabad, complete with sectarian CDs sold from its stalls. The following year the crisis of Lal Masjid in Islamabad overtook Musharraf. It was another sectarian transplant from South Punjab (Dera Ghazi Khan) which was the meeting place of elements aligned with Al Qaeda. After Musharraf attacked Lal Masjid, Al Qaeda issued the most forceful message against him, triggering the war in the tribal areas through its Taliban proxy.

What the Taliban did to the population of the tribal areas and Malakand-Swat after 2007 was long envisioned by Sipah Sahaba. After being empowered by the exclusively Deobandi jihad unleashed in Afghanistan and Kashmir by the state agencies, its leader Maulana Azam Tariq declared, at an international Difa-e-Sahaba (Defence of the Prophet’s Companions) conference in Karachi in October 2000, that he planned to convert Pakistan’s 28 biggest cities into ‘model Islamic cities’ where television, cinema and music would be banned. Because of Sipah’s alignment with Al Qaeda and the Taliban, its influence among the Orakzai Pashtun tribes in the upper Miranzai Valley in Hangu and Tal became palpable. Today, as the air force pounds Orakzai, Pakistan is close to re-capturing a tribal agency after five years of rule by Taliban and their South Punjabi warriors.

Abandonment of South Punjab to Sipah:
Maulana Azam Tariq was killed in 2003. So were many potentates of Karachi’s Banuri Mosque in the following years because of its patronage of the extremist clergy trained in the madrassas of South Punjab. The single most prominent of these madrassas is the one at Kabirwala which trained the founder of Sipah, Maulana Haq Nawaz Jhangvi. The latest casualties in the Karachi sectarian killings – Maulana Jalalpuri and Maulana Nadim – were both transplants to Karachi from South Punjab.

But Sipah never lost its political appeal even after the ban in 2002. It had its political record: Azam Tariq was elected to parliament four times from the Sipah stronghold in Jhang. He won the National Assembly constituency in 1990, 1993 and in October 2002. The 1990 election was a particularly big success when Azam Tariq defeated the government-backed candidate by a big margin. In the 2002 election under Musharraf, he contested the election from jail. The government, first let him contest the elections, then filed a petition in the Lahore High Court challenging the Pakistan Election Commission’s decision to allow him to stand despite the cases against him. Sipah even became a part of the Punjab government when it succeeded in getting its two MPAs inducted into the Punjab cabinet of the Muslim League chief minister Sardar Arif Nakai in 1995.

Distant dream of Saraiki Province and Sipah: South Punjab has a population of 27 million and comprises 13 districts - Multan, Bahawalpur, Rahimyar Khan, Layyah, Lodhran, Khanewal, Muzaffargarh, Bahawalnagar, Rajanpur, Bhakkar, Vehari, Jhang and Dera Ghazi Khan. (Jhang may not be strictly located in the South but is claimed as part of South Punjab for two reasons: because of the dominance of Sipah Sahaba and because of its linguistic nexus with the rest of the area through Saraiki.) South Punjab has lately become more active in pursuing the objective of a separate province. The campaign has acquired an edge because of two influential TV channels – Rohi and Waseb. Since the campaign is language-based, many districts lying outside South Punjab are likely to be demanded by it, but a realistic estimate would allow districts like Mianwali to remain in rump Punjab despite the recent mild Saraiki advocacy by maverick politician Sher Afgan Niazi. The Saraiki province however remains a distant dream.

A new perspective of the Saraiki Movement is gradually coming to the fore, reflecting the political dominance of Sipah Sahaba and its offshoot, the Jaish. No one from among the backers of the movement – known traditionally to be secular – is willing to even speak of the presence of the jihadi-terrorist organisations. One reason is that most of them want to lean on them to win the elections; the other may be the simple fact of intimidation and the subliminal acknowledgement of state patronage to the terrorists. A Saraiki Province in the coming days will be exclusively the domain of Sipah Sahaba and its friends. It will be for the first time that terrorists posing as Islamic warriors against India and against the Shias of Pakistan will possess an entire province and its resources under the new constitutional dispensation of real autonomy. {The Islamic Emirate of Seraikistan. The Seraiki movement has been hijacked}

Al Qaeda and South Punjab: It is said that the Taliban chief Hakimullah Mehsud, after being injured, was taken to South Punjab before he allegedly died. South Punjab as a separate province will be ripe for use by the state against India. (TV discussions have actually considered the latest Saraiki Movement as orchestrated by the state agencies.) It is quite possible that using the ‘non state actors’ from an independent province will be more convenient for the agencies. But the state may not have taken into account that the new province will also become the domain of Al Qaeda through its close contacts with Jaish Muhammad. The presence of Lashkar Tayba in South Punjab may also add to the facility of the agencies, but its trans-border actions will certainly attract international attention.
{Pakistan is perfectly willing to destroy itself 10 times if it can destroy India even patially once}
Pakistani analyst Syed Saleem Shahzad representing Asia Times On Line (31 March 2010) has traced the latest Moscow attack by terrorists from North Caucasus to Pakistan: ‘Monday’s twin suicide attacks by female bombers in the Moscow metro system in which at least 38 people were killed and 64 injured were most likely planned and executed by people trained in Pakistan’s tribal areas’. South Punjab is expected to intensify its campaign to become an independent province, with its political direction in the hands of Sipah Sahaba, benefiting both Al Qaeda and the state agencies.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

pakistan may soon get its wish to be more arabic - but perhaps not in the way they expected :mrgreen: which explains the anxiety by the thekedars to get them a "package" on kashmir and some snowy headwaters :evil: :evil:

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?264925

the pix in link above tell the story best
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

SSridhar wrote:The dream was also that when the dreamer ..... saw the Prophet (PBUH) standing near a stream together with Hazrat Ali and Hazrat Umar[/b], his companions.
Blasphemy! How did this dreamer guy recognize the prophet and his companions if representations of the prophet (engraved, photos, caricatures....) are banned and non existent? This man must be flogged for having seen or access to banned artwork.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

anupmisra wrote:Blasphemy! How did this dreamer guy recognize the prophet and his companions if representations of the prophet (engraved, photos, caricatures....) are banned and non existent? This man must be flogged for having seen or access to banned artwork.
That is a very logical and fine point indeed. Whoa!
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

SSridhar wrote:
anupmisra wrote:Blasphemy! How did this dreamer guy recognize the prophet and his companions if representations of the prophet (engraved, photos, caricatures....) are banned and non existent? This man must be flogged for having seen or access to banned artwork.
That is a very logical and fine point indeed. Whoa!
Won't the prophet(pbuh) introduce himself to the purelander? I expect it to be so as they are the best of the breed. The poor fellow would have fogotten about it in all the excitement of running being the Uranium-lifter american while being interrupted. Else, the story hasn't been reproduced faithully.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

This issue of TFT analyses the emerging situation in Southern Punjab (Seraikistan). Here is an excerpt from an interview with Taj Muhammad Langah, Chief of Pakistan Saraiki Party (PSP).
The Friday Times: South Punjab is engulfed in numerous problems, with extremism on the rise, how do you see the situation in South Punjab at the moment?

Taj Muhammad Langah: Extremism in the Saraiki region is far less as compared to Lahore, Islamabad and some parts of upper Punjab. {This is either denial-mode or under intimidation from the terrorist tanzeems, as Khaled Ahmed has said} There is no denying the fact that the people in South Punjab have religious inclinations, but extremist tendencies are lower as compared to those in Lahore or Khyber-Pukhtoonkhwa. The headquarters of Lashkar-i-Taiba is in Mureedke – located in the suburbs of Lahore. The chief of erstwhile Lashkar-i-Taiba, Hafiz Saeed, is wandering freely on the streets of Lahore and the judicial, business and academic elites of Lahore openly finance this militant organization.{Let's note the reference to judiciary with respect to LeT. The farce in the Lahore High Court over the arrests of Hafeez Saeed and the reactions of the judges clearly proved which side the judiciary was.}

During Nawaz Sharif’s previous government, the state minister for foreign affairs told me personally that one of the jihadi organisations possess 6 lakh Kalashnikovs. The financial headquarters of religious organisations such as Sipah Sahaba, Sipah Muhammad (Shia organization) and Jammat-i-Islami are also located in Lahore. What other evidence do you want from us to prove that extremism is more rampant in Upper Punjab and not in the Saraiki Region?

The jihadi culture has two facets: one has its roots in Kashmir and the other dates back to the Afghan Jihad. The religious extremist organizations that I have just mentioned are the off-shoots of these two facets and are extremely active in Islamabad. Who does not know about the mushrooming of Madaris in Islamabad, and who is unaware of what happened at Lal Masjid? The extremists have their main centres in Lahore, Islamabad, Karachi and Peshawar. On the other hand, militants in the entire Saraiki region cannot outnumber the extremists in any one of these centres. It is unfortunate that despite all these realities, the newspapers, the TV channels and the Awami National Party have painted the Saraiki region as a breeding ground for terrorism and extremism. They are trying to provide an excuse for an operation in our region so that they could siphon off more funding from abroad. At the moment, Talibanisation does not pose any threat to the Saraiki belt. {Deliberate denial. A lay reader should correctly infer that the entire state of Pakistan is breeding ground for terrorism and extremism since Pakistanis themselves are fighting among themselves about which area is more extremist and which is less.}

The Friday Times:Most of the terrorist attacks carried out in Lahore have been orchestrated by militant groups operating in the Saraiki region. How do you respond to this?

It is a false accusation and a mere concoction. Saraikis are peace loving people and oppose suicide bombings.{They only support fidayeen attack !} They have a deep cultural association with Sufism and abhor violence and terrorism. Moreover, they possess a liberal orientation and strongly believe in democratic norms. The terrorists involved in Lahore attacks are either of Pushtoon or Punjabi origin. These people have established their base in South Punjab in the form of Madaris. The high-ups of Madaris set up in the Saraiki region are Pushtoons and Punjabis such as Samiul Haq, Fazalur Rehman, Sajid Mir or Qazi Hussain Ahmad. Saraikis have no involvement in their nefarious designs.

The Friday Times:How do you comment on the movement for a separate Saraiki province?

The Saraiki province has been buried by the Prime minister and his allies for the time being. There was not a single Saraiki-speaking member in the so-called Constitutional Reform Committee. Some Pushtoon and Sindhi speaking members of the committee raised this issue, but faced stiff resistance from the head of the committee Mian Raza Rabbani, who is a street boy from Bhagbanpura, a Punjabi chauvinist and a known enemy of the Saraiki movement. Similarly, Premier Yousaf Raza Gillani is a street boy from Multan who is just dancing to the tunes of Mian Nawaz Sharif and is acting against the core interests of the PPP. All of them have suppressed us and our voice for the time being by eschewing the demand for a new province for over 60 million Saraiki speaking people. This is tantamount to exclusion of millions of Saraikis from the federation by the entire Constitutional Reforms Committee.

There are now only four nationalities recognized in Pakistan i.e. Punjabis, Sindhis, Pukhtoons and Balochs. Along with Prime Minister Gillani and Nawaz Sharif, I hold responsible the smaller provinces for betraying the Saraikis. Sindhis, Pushtoons and Balochis have bargained with Punjabis and have won their rights. President Asif Zardari personally supervised the protection of rights of the three smaller provinces whereas Saraikis are again left at the mercy of Punjabis. [{One would think that everyone in Pakistan was at the mercy of the Punjabis} Now we have to secure our rights by ourselves. We will chalk out a new strategy and a new plan of action. Lahore and Larkana have struck a deal that they will rule the country on alternate basis whereas they will keep on sharing their power in the Punjab. The 18th amendment does not contain any mechanism as to how the new provinces can be chalked out.

The Rabbani-led committee did not even bother to amend the article 234(4) inserted by the military dictator Ziaul Haq which puts too many conditionalities on creating new provinces. This article states that.a new prvince cannot be divided until and unless the provincial assembly of that province approves of such a partition by a two-thirds margin. How would the Punjabis sitting in the provincial assembly of Punjab provide a two-third majority to create a Saraiki province? They are forcing us to adopt the path of violence. They are forcing us to approach the world powers. The PPP has deceived the Saraiki voters without whom it could have never acquired a majority in the National Assembly. We ask progressive and liberal publications such as TFT, what should Saraikis do now when the other four nationalities have deprived them of their identity?

The Friday Times:There is a resistance movement emerging in the midst of a feudal society from the peasantry in the Saraiki region. How do you respond to this?

There are two categories of resistance. One is in Khanewal and Okara which are under army occupation. We are in favour of this resistance. I have personally participated in their protest rallies. These are Punjabi tenants and the media and NGOs from Punjab are supporting them as well. It is strange army officers have also occupied lands in the Saraiki region but the media, NGOs or leftist political parties from Punjab are not talking about this occupation. For example, there were millions of acres of state land in District Layyah which were allotted to Punjabi planters but not to local Saraikis, who in fact have the foremost right. Vast lands in Rajan Pur, Rahim Yar Khan and more than 4 hundred thousand acres of land in Bahawalpur are in the illegal possession of the army but no one raises this issue. Shahbaz Sharif often pays visits to Bahwalpur or Rahim Yar Khan to announce such illegal land allotments.

The Friday Times:You are a strong advocate of a new Saraiki province to be carved out of Punjab. What do you think will be the long term political fall out if the government agrees to meet this demand?

The hegemony of elites would certainly lessen if Punjab is divided This would also contribute towards curbing corruption. Before the Sikh rule, the Saraiki region was never part of Punjab. A new Saraiki province would strengthen the federation. The center has satisfied Sindh, Balochistan and NWFP by accepting their demands, now it’s our turn. If Saraikis remain disturbed, dissatisfied, and perturbed then it would be detrimental for the entire province. The youth in the Saraiki region is becoming increasingly impatient because their identity is being eroded. Now Saraikis are in Pakistan as Kashmiris are in the Indian federation.

The Friday Times:How can you compare the situation in the Saraiki belt with that of the Indian-held Kashmir when elected representatives of your region are sitting in the parliament?

The elected Kashmiri representatives are also sitting in the parliament in New Delhi. Then why does Pakistan not recognize them? In fact, they are representatives of the Indian establishment. Across the world, there are representatives of Samraaj (imperialism) in the assemblies. Are the members sitting in parliaments of Iraq and Afghanistan real public representatives? Similarly, representatives from our Saraiki region are also agents of the establishment of Lahore and Islamabad. I call upon them not to vote in favour of the 18thamendment if there is no Saraiki province in the Constitution of Pakistan.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Gilgit Baltistan: Abdul Hamid Khan Adresses House of Lords
On Wednesday, April 7, 2010, Abdul Hamid Khan addresses the House of Lords in London, England on the Human Rights Violations by the Pakistan Government toward the peoples of Gilgit Baltistan.

On 7th April 2010, Mr Abdul Hamid Khan, Chairman of Balawaristan National Front (BNF) engaged in a debate in the House of Lords, London UK on the topic of human rights abuses in Gilgit Baltistan.

Mr Khan, speaking on behalf of the Gilgit Baltistan Democratic Alliance (GBDA), used the opportunity to address Honourable Baroness Emma Nicholson and distinguished guests in the House of Lords on the concerns of people of Gilgit Baltistan, located in northern Pakistan. His address included reports of forcible eviction and killings and outlined the reasons for rejecting the new Pakistani package as it represents a deprivation of freedom for the people of Gilgit Baltistan. The implications of planned dams on the livelihood of people living in close proximity to the River Indus were also considered. Mr Khan concluded by recommending key steps for Great Britain to take to draw attention to these issues on an international stage.

Engaged in the debate were leaders from Jammu and Kashmir, Indian and Pakistani journalists and diplomats as well as prominent Kashmiri leaders Mr. Afzal Tahir, Nadim Aslam and Najib Afsar, Prof. Nazir Tabassum,, Shams Rehman, Dr. RP Sharma and Ani Bhanot. Following the debate, Abdul Hamid Khan, Dr. Shabir Choudhry and Mohammad Anwar, Chief Editor of London based Pakistani newspaper NEWS, held a press conference with Baroness Emma Nicholson in the British Parliament

Below is the speech presented by Abdul Hamid Khan in the House of Lords or click here for a pdf version.

Speech of Abdul Hamid Khan in House of Lords
Honourable Baroness Emma Nicholson, diplomats, journalists and distinguished guests

PACKAGES GAME

Pakistan has sought to hoodwink the people and the world by maintaining a facade of democratic rule since 1969 during General Yahya regime and then during Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto after 1971 and then made another fraud by terming it as LFO/Rules of Business in 1994. The local representative body called Northern Areas Legislative Council (NALC) was again re-named as per the Legal Framework Order of 1994 which also gives the same old powers to the Minister for KANA and nothing for the local Chief Executive of the NALC.

Pakistan has widely propagated for the recent 5th Package and its fraudulent Elections for the so-called Legislative Assembly and Council of Gilgit Baltistan.

We the people of Balawaristan reject this new Pakistani package, because this will create more deprivation, lack of Justice and snatch our freedom than ever Pakistan wants to use this puppet Council and so-called Assembly as rubber stamp to endorse all the Pakistani demands and orders.

In February this year Pakistani occupation forces killed 3 innocent demonstrators in Chilas and killed dozens when they demonstrated against the forcibly eviction of their land to construct Diamar Bhasha Dam for the interest of Pakistani Punjab and to make strong presence of its forces and personnel of ISI, so to keep its control firmly along with the presence of Chinese Military presence.

China by taking leases of precious mines including copper, Gold and Uranium etc, by constructing Air Strips on the Road, Railways and Dams is creating serious problems to the environment, demography, geography and political dispensation.

After the announcement of the so-called package Pakistani intelligence agency the ISI killed dozens of local indigenous people in Gilgit with the evil intention to divide the people on sectarian lines before the arrival of Prime Minister of Pakistan, so no one could dare to protest against the package.

1. The indigenous people of this part are facing serious loss of properties and life from the River Indus, which has not been taken in to account before India held Water Treaty with Pakistan in 1960 which does not suits to a democratic attitude of any country.

2. 6 Mega Dams which Pakistan have planned to build in Gilgit Baltistan by force by submerging half of the population of this disputed part, which bring drastic situation to the surrounding population as well as wild life and nature. 1960 Water Treaty does not allow Pakistan and China to destroy Gilgit Baltistan and to change its demography.

3. By keeping in mind the disputed nature of this part (Pakistan Occupied Gilgit Baltistan) Pakistan should be refrained from constructing 6 Mega Dams (Diamar Bhasha Dam, Bonji Dam, Hanzel Dam near Gilgit City, Skardu Dam and Ghanchhe Dam) in disputed Gilgit Baltistan on Indus River as a consequences more than half of the indigenous population will be vanished completely. Besides displacement of more than Million population out of total 2 million, the drastic change of weather would bring un-bearable crisis to the region in future.

Recently during UNHRC Session in Geneva, ISI broken houses of 3 leaders of GBDA in Gilgit City, including Adv. Ehsan Ali a prominent leader of GBDA who is also an ex president of Gilgit Baltistan Bar Council and another Adv. Wazir Shaif’s. This rampage continued and a third leader of GBDA Mr. Sultan Madad’s GBDA house was also broken, who had been invited for UNHRC Session Geneva. His passport was stolen along with other documents. This was the intention of ISI to keep the people of this disputed region out of UN bodies and international communities on one side and to harass the nationalists on the other. While Pakistan Army had announced a couple of months before that it has ended the interference in to politics, but in Gilgit Baltistan and PoK it has been increased in to dangerous level, where civilian government has no role to play.

It is the duty of UN and UK also to protect the lives, unique culture, language, property and dignity of the local people from the Pakistani occupation forces and its intelligence agency the ISI, which are the partners of USA and UK in the so-called war against terrorism.

Great Britain should take serious notice of ISI's new attempt to bring the disputed parts of Jammu & Kashmir, occupied Gilgit Baltistan and Chitral as their war field after Swat, so the people would be killed by ISI, terming them terrorists till their resistance power against the Pakistani occupation would be perished. This multipronged strategy of Pakistan Army has created serious threat to the lives, property and existence of the indigenous people, their culture, history, language and traditions. This evil strategy of Pakistan Army to use terrorism and fundamentalism against democratic and peace-loving people has also put the co-existence and tolerance of the world community on dangerous level.

Great Britain should also consider the fate of non-Muslim communities of (Kalash) Chitral, besides Brelvi, Shia and Ismailia Muslims after Wahabi Sect Sharia laws are imposed, if Talibaan and its masters and financiers are not defeated. There is no common Sharia law in the whole Muslim world; but Taliban, Al-Qaeda and Pakistan Army want to impose Wahabi laws by force which is unacceptable to us.

Terrorism menace has serious implication on the peaceful solution of Jammu & Kashmir and Balawaristan (China and Pakistan Occupied Gilgit Baltistan, Chitral and Shenaki Kohistan).

May I have your attention, I have the privilege to make an announcement here, I have been given the assignment by Gilgit Baltistan Democratic Alliance (GBDA) to represent them on international fora.

I and the GBDA are thankful of those leaders of J&K, who have been highlighting the issue of Gilgit Baltistan on Pakistan as well as on international level, which bared Pakistan to annex it in to its territory. It’s a fact that in the whole history of Gilgit Baltistan after British departure from Sub-continent, I am alone who have applied for asylum from this region and that is the main reason that Gilgit Baltistan has lack of representation on international level like J&K. Now, my party as well as GBDA has realised, that the people of Gilgit Baltistan and the son of soil has the right to represent Gilgit Baltistan on international level, so our unique culture, language, history, political and economical rights are protected, which are totally different from J&K. It’s regrettable to say that some leaders, who belong to Jammu & Kashmir and have been representing Gilgit Baltistan for their own interest.

We are only comfortable with such Kashmiris, who have open and clear stand of freedom and independence and don’t want to be a part of such party, whose agenda is ambiguous or revolves around religion or financial or any other interest or prejudice instead of real nationalism.

We the people of Gilgit Baltistan do not have good experience with the leaders of J&K in the past. The worst example of 28th April 1949 fraud agreement with Pakistan in Karachi.
I request the leaders and people of J&K to help us whatever help we want and do not cross the limit of friendship like that the manner of Sardar Ibrahim and Choudhry Gholam Abbas who did fraud with the people of Gilgit Baltistan in 1949.

Yes, our issue is the same, we both the people of J&K and Gilgit Baltistan are on the same disputed boat, but our interest are different in many fields. We the people of Gilgit Baltistan want independence from the clutches of Pakistan and do not want to fall in the hands of Kashmiris for another slavery. We want equal partnership and we do not want to lose our identity as Gilgiti Balti and Chitrali for Kashmir. Kashmir is one part, Jammu is another, Ladakh, Gilgit, Baltistan, Chitral and Shenaki Kohistan are another truth. Being here in UK and Europe nobody wants to give sacrifices for another. If the name, culture, tradition and politics of Kashmiris are imposed, that is impossible for us to accept . If, Kashmiris change their habit and accept other nationalities like Jamwal or Ponchis, Mirpuri, Gilgiti, Balti, Chitrali and Kohistanis, which are the strongest realities, then a common system can be stepped. If Kashmiris want to demolish our culture, identity and history in the same manner what Pakistanis have been doing for 63 years, that will never allow us to be united. Don’t consider my words as harsh or opposition or conspiracy or the dictation of someone. Today I am compelled to elucidate the current behaviour of many Kashmiri leaders, who want to impose their own agenda on the people of Gilgit Baltistan by mere claiming over it. This is the main reason that we some of the friends of the people of J&K are facing inner problems because of our Kashmir stand.

I appreciate the sincerity and sympathy of honourable Emma Nicholson, who have chosen the name of Princely States instead of imposing Kashmir, which can lead us toward a solution in near future. Unless and until we do accept all the values of each and every princely state, the goal of freedom will not be visible at any distance.

We appeal the government of UK to persuade China not to involve itself in the occupation process of Balawaristan (Pakistan occupied Gilgit Baltistan) by taking lease of precious mines including copper, Gold and Uranium etc), by constructing Railways, Roads and Dams to change its environment, demography and geography on one side and export and import WMD on the other.
We also appeal to China not to construct any secret tunnel and Airstrip on KKH, which will be harmful to the region.

We also appeal to United Kingdom, European Union and United Nations particularly to put pressure on China and Pakistan to withdraw their forces from Gilgit Baltistan .
Instead of playing new Package tricks, 2 million people of this disputed region could decide their future without China and Pakistani interference by a free and impartial referendum or Election for a constitutional Assembly under the supervision of the UN according to its resolution of 13th Aug. 1948. This is the only solution to avoid any future conflict between, Pakistan, India, China, Russia, USA or Europe.

Abdul Hamid Khan
Chairman
Balawaristan National Front (BNF)
Head Office: Majini Mahla, Gilgit, Balawaristan (Pakistan Occupied Gilgit Baltistan)
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

kenop wrote:
SSridhar wrote:That is a very logical and fine point indeed. Whoa!
Won't the prophet(pbuh) introduce himself to the purelander? I expect it to be so as they are the best of the breed. The poor fellow would have fogotten about it in all the excitement of running being the Uranium-lifter american while being interrupted. Else, the story hasn't been reproduced faithully.
Like the dialog in Sholay "Yeh hum bol rahein hain". Therefore, everytime Zaid Mahdi Hamid (pbuh) speaks of the Prophet having come to him in his dreams and directed him, someone should raise the cry "Flog the Infidel !!".
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

naPakistan at extreme Risk for Food security

http://www.maplecroft.com/about/news/fo ... es_04.html
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

shiv wrote:I have made an IndiaPakistan == comment

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/faiz-lala ... t_44231736
The guy has been given a good whipping and I hope more from here contribute.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Singha wrote:pakistan may soon get its wish to be more arabic - but perhaps not in the way they expected :mrgreen: which explains the anxiety by the thekedars to get them a "package" on kashmir and some snowy headwaters :evil: :evil:

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?264925

the pix in link above tell the story best
Singha ji, Water issue is just being bought to the foreground as pakistan facing shortage of issues to take up with India. The others has been skinned to bones for what they were worth for.

For the Pix its not the dry river bed. You can see a bund on the backside and I think Indus is flowing in all its glory behind it. The dry area you see in the pix is generally the one between two bunds which are used to contain the water to prevent flooding during rainy season. It is dry for most of the months.
jrjrao
BRFite

Post by jrjrao »

Bruce Reidel writes on the Brookings Blog today:

Nuclear Security In Pakistan—What to Worry About
http://www.brookings.edu/opinions/2010/ ... urity.aspx
Pakistan, the country with the fastest growing nuclear arsenal in the world, knows it has a nuclear weapons security problem...

Ironically, the greatest threat to Pakistan’s nuclear security comes from the one part of the Frankenstein Pakistan is not fighting, the terror group Lashkar e Tayyiba that attacked the Indian city of Mumbai in November 2008 just after Barack Obama’s election victory. In the months since, Mumbai LeT has continued to flourish in Pakistan. What makes it so dangerous is that, unlike the mostly Pashtun Taliban, it recruits its followers in the Punjab, the same place where the Pakistani army recruits its officer corps. As one senior Pakistani general once told me, the relationship between the army and the LeT is a family affair. That gives the LeT the possibility of access to the arsenal through insider connections that other terror groups lack.

LeT demonstrated at Mumbai that its goal is mass casualty terror. Detonating a stolen nuclear device planted in an India city would be a triumph for the groups’ goal of terrorizing India like no other attack. If it provoked war between India and Pakistan, that’s all the better in the twisted logic of LeT.

The Mumbai attack also showed the LeT has bought the argument of al Qaeda that the Islamic world’s enemies are a conspiracy of Crusaders, Zionists and Hindus, all of whom were targeted in November 2008. Last month an American, David Headley, pleaded guilty to the charge that he scouted the targets for LeT in Mumbai over the course of five visits to the city between 2005 and 2008. He also revealed that LeT and al Qaeda were closely cooperating on a plan to attack Copenhagen Denmark last fall.

Pakistan has taken serious measures to protect the crown jewels of its national security but it lives in a perilous time. If there is a nightmare nuclear security scenario in Pakistan today it is probably an inside the family job that ends up in a nuclear Armageddon in India. When President Obama meets again with Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gillani at the nuclear summit in Washington (they met once before during the 2008 campaign) he should press for Pakistan to break up the LeT for good even if it disrupts family harmony.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

If there is a nightmare nuclear security scenario in Pakistan today it is probably an inside the family job that ends up in a nuclear Armageddon in India.
BS. Why would jihadis use a nuke on land they think they will conquer anyway? Especially when the gleaming towers of Manhattan and Canary Wharf await, full of people with the blood of Muslims on their hands.
Brad Goodman
BRF Oldie

Post by Brad Goodman »

Gerard wrote:
If there is a nightmare nuclear security scenario in Pakistan today it is probably an inside the family job that ends up in a nuclear Armageddon in India.
BS. Why would jihadis use a nuke on land they think they will conquer anyway? Especially when the gleaming towers of Manhattan and Canary Wharf await, full of people with the blood of Muslims on their hands.

I agree their hatered for India dwarfs in comparison to their hatered for west in general and Unkil in particular. Just take the case of Headley they had to motivate him for Mumbai else he was more interested in Denmark.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Wall Street Leaves Pakistan's Financial Capital
Three Wall Street banks have abandoned their brokerage operations in Pakistan amid the nation's bleak economic situation.

Citigroup's Citibank shuttered its equity research office in Karachi, the nation's financial capital, in March. Credit Suisse Group closed its research operations in the same city earlier this year. That follows JPMorgan Chase's decision in late 2008 to suspend its brokerage operations, also in Karachi.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

Satya_anveshi wrote:Wall Street Leaves Pakistan's Financial Capital
Three Wall Street banks have abandoned their brokerage operations in Pakistan amid the nation's bleak economic situation.

Citigroup's Citibank shuttered its equity research office in Karachi, the nation's financial capital, in March. Credit Suisse Group closed its research operations in the same city earlier this year. That follows JPMorgan Chase's decision in late 2008 to suspend its brokerage operations, also in Karachi.
What the phuck were they "researching"? how to launder money or how to beg? :lol: