some simple questions with respect to the T-90S -
1. T-90S is tom-tommed to have 1000hp engine but in reality that is not the case. russians themselves certified it at 846/910hp!!!
now calculate what would be the power to weight ratio.18.19 - 19.56
and not 21.5
as advertised against Arjun's 24.
now think what reserve power the T-90S has?? what about the mobility??
OTOH Arjun when derated also will have good reserve power that will not affect the mobility!!!
2. an APU on any tank not only saves fuel but also powers the electronics in 'idle' mode besides reducing the thermal signature and importantly increases the life of the engine.
is it not true that T-90S does not have an APU?? meaning it can't idle!!! what will happen to the 'fuel efficiency'? it is not that tanks keep running all the time!!!
3. it is said conveniently that Shtora can be retro fitted but the question is where this Shtora will draw the power from?? when the mobility itself takes a hit due to the underpowered engine??
4. is it not true T-90S needs an AC unit?? not only for elctronics but also to save the crew from fainting
in the desert heat which can go upto 60d inside the tank?? 'if' there was an option to put the AC unit, the question still remains - where again this will draw power from??
how is it that Arjun can do without an AC unit?? not only was the elctronics hardened to operate in the 'indian' heat but the space it has as also better ventilation 'dissipates' the heat built up inside efficiently. this is the hallmark of a modern design.
5. why do T-90S crew have to sit on top of the ammunition?? what will happen in case of a hit?? will it not simply blow up??
OTOH Arjun has blow up panels to minimise the risk to the crew in case of a hit and has a separate ammo compartment. again
a case of design superiority wrt crew protection and crew comfort is already in built into the design.
6. Kontakt ERA is illustarated as a super duper solution to protection. how will this stand up against a TANDEM warhead?? what about the standard armour of the T-90S?? is it better than the Kanchan??
7. the thermals conking out in the day is legendary. why is it like that?? solution like the AC unit means both space and power requirement. are both available in the T-90S?? that 'space' is a premium on the T-90S is a well known fact reason why the russians themselves find it obsolete and unupgradable (as per the links i gave in the last post) and 'power' is again a premium if one looks at point # 1 - raising a basic question on the mobility itself!!!
8. last i heard there is an issue with the commanders sight -
http://livefist.blogspot.com/2009/08/in ... -main.html
THURSDAY, AUGUST 06, 2009
Army For New Commanders Sight On T-90s
The Indian Army has decided to replace the main commander's sight on all current and future T-90S main battle tanks, and has issued a request for information for this. The T-90's PNK-4S commanders sight, manufactured by Russia's JSC Rostov Optical-Mechanical Plant (ROMZ), has been found to be far below what the Army wants, and it has therefore put out an RFI for an advanced thermal-imager based panoramic night sight.
9. 'logistic chain' is brought up as an issue. question is are you willing to move forward with technology or simply want to sit on the logistics for the comfort/ease?? a new modern equipment means a leap in capability and adding a punch to the offence. if the criteria to induct a better equipment is only based on 'logistics' of an existing equipment then we should only see Mig 35 for the MMRCA as the logistics and infra exists for Mig 29s. besides when T-72s were inducted logistics 'was created' for it because that was potent then!! same with T-90 and Arjun.
the point here is 'winning a war' as against maintaining the logistics for 'not winning the war'.
10. is it not true T-90S fires 2 piece rounds as against 'unitary' and longer rods of the ARjun??
11. doesn't the shorter barrel and lower elevation the T-90S limits it to a lower range against Arjun's??
12. why do T-90S has to stop and shoot and move?? while Arjun shoots on the move with higher accuracy!!!
T-90S is simply no match for the Arjun.
with so many issues still troubling the T-90S it is simply amazing that IA accused that Arjun was not ready and there were issues to be rectified when even after 11+ years of induction
so many issues of T-90S stare in the face!!! why is our armed forces so stringent with local products when that is a non-issue for the imported equipment?? and even when they prove themselves they are short shrifted?? and why does IA support
a tank which is obsolete by design and unsuited for indian climate support it when the russians themselves are refusing
beats me. fwiw.