LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by merlin »

narmad wrote:
indranilroy : My understanding (in my most humblest stead) of what the ACM is trying to do is that he is being the hard nosed customer.
First he should not consider himself a customer.
Second, this was not the day and platform to belittle the effort.
somehow it looks like the Airforce is still does not comfortable relationship with the Scientists ( Things never change much do they ).
[/quote]

These days I shudder everytime brass from IAF open their mouth. Lack of graciousness, churlishness, lack of vision, "great" sense of timing, all great qualities are exhibited in abundance when they do.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

imo FOC = IOC + the below

open the full AoA and G envelope
reach the max speed as designed at various levels
all weather ops - night cockpit extensive tests, heavy rainfall (NE), dusty conditions (jamnagar), a good spell in Leh/Thoise
full qualification of litening pod for target spotting and designation
integration to griffon/paveway initially and sudarshan in a couple yrs. litening should aready be able to 'talk' to all of these.
more extensive weapons trials in A2G like guns, rockets, bombs of all types
more realistic R73 trials against manouvering high speed targets like lakshya
full testing of the "mayavi" EW suite & elta SPJ against ground based and airborne threats
testing the chaff and flares pkg against some kinda SAM thing
getting the Tejas tracked by SAM radars and testing how fast and surely it can escape
full qualification of the radar (being EL2032 the front end should be in working shape already)
firing and proving of the BVR weapon against airborne lakshya targets
and finally **this is what we want** - all out DACT against Bison, M2k, Mig29, MKI in A2A role and practising chasing and hunting down strike a/c and UAVs..with a chase a/c recording in Imax or HD and release of footage that same night to salivating br boyz. :mrgreen:
airborne tanking in day and night , plus getting the UK go to fit the refueling probe if possible on Mk1 itself

this to be followed by or in parallel with TACDE and other IAF seniors developing the whole range of tactics for the Tejas and writing the training manual noting its strong and weak points.

overall I see it as 2-3 yrs of full time hard work by 100s of people working in different areas and many many endless hrs of meetings and analysis, not a picnic and some of these things we are doing for first time.

but whatever we learn will make Mk2 tejas a walk in park in comparison. we cannot short cut this..its a necessary part of 'growing up and being a big boy'. without the full experience of Mk1 and Mk2 development there is no chance of AMCA being a successful war fighting weapon. so the ignoramus crapmouths who come on TOI/HT and claim we are still 'developing tech thats 50 yrs old' and 'innovate like the Ipod' should just shut up and crawl back into the nearest sewer
Last edited by Singha on 11 Jan 2011 11:44, edited 2 times in total.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

^^

Good news on the LCA! The project really is shaping up well. And contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, it has had a lot of inputs and support from the IAF.

Of course, it is obvious that the defence services and DRDO need to manage their relationship better. Forces cannot behave like "Customer" alone, and DRDO cannot regard them as "User" alone. Both need to involve the other more, in their relative plans.

In the final calculus, the lack of coordination between the Services and the MoD's research and development wing, is not so much a failure of either the services OR DRDO, but rather a failure of the political leadership. They, our duly elected representatives in the cabinet, have FAILED, to provide the correct leadership, an inspiring example, and a unifying vision, ensuring that all segments of a complex defence patchwork can work together. This is the tragedy not just of the Indian Defence Sector, but the entire Indian government!

What DRDO and service detractors alike dont understand is, that neither the services nor DRDO are bad. They are working to different drumbeats which causes collisions and friction. They need to work together, and everyone cannot be allowed to beat their own drum, in fact neither can be allowed to beat their own drum, and only one, clear vision must be expounded by the rightful political leadership, allowing all to work towards the same goal.

But are our 'leaders' up to any task other than winning elections and enjoying the fruits? That is the real question. Democracy is not about rule by the fittest. It is rule by the most easily electable.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

chackojoseph wrote:Its not conformal fuel tank. its an artist impression. The particular area has been depicted bit prominently. otherwise, the particular feature must be too hard to depict. It it looks cute that way.
Chackoji, if the artist is trying to show wing body blending, he goes completely heywire near the tail. Actually conformal tanks on LCA makes a hell lot of sense. May be its not in the priority list now. But once the FOC is reached, it might be a very good addition.

Could you please confirm this from your sources if the picture is just the artists portrayal or are conformal tanks being thought of. I will be very grateful. Thank you.
vasu_ray
BRFite

Post by vasu_ray »

Now that we are past IOC, will each weapon test require clearance from CEMILAC on aircraft flying readiness? the 4 production ones coming online this year should definitely not require any such clearances picking up the pace of testing
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

indranilroy wrote: Really, till what level can one stoop?

This piehole just repeated the same article again. How many time he can write the same article with different headings? Only the first paragraph is changed, rest is still the same.

Whats the point in even discussing his articles.

I was just wondering what can we do to negate the negative impact that "reports" like this do. What could be an equally loud platform to voice our opinion?

Comments section is not a bad idea. But they rarely if ever publish critical comments. This time though they've decided to be a bit lberal with their cesors. A lot of comments that criticise Pandit and his reporting have been allowed.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Are CFTs such a good idea, except for routine air patrols that need to last long ?
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

jamwal wrote:
indranilroy wrote: Really, till what level can one stoop?

This piehole just repeated the same article again. How many time he can write the same article with different headings? Only the first paragraph is changed, rest is still the same.

Whats the point in even discussing his articles.

I was just wondering what can we do to negate the negative impact that "reports" like this do. What could be an equally loud platform to voice our opinion?

Comments section is not a bad idea. But they rarely if ever publish critical comments. This time though they've decided to be a bit lberal with their cesors. A lot of comments that criticise Pandit and his reporting have been allowed.
Have a look now: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 257996.cms
They've deleted all but one stupid comment.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

CFTs can be attached and detached quite quickly. Since these tanks produce lift to sustain their own weight, it would increase payload for armaments in addition to freeing up 2(?) pylons. Also these are less draggy than wing under-slung ones.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Let's put Tejas/LCA into proper perspective in comparison with what the IN has achieved.The "licence-building" stage of the IAF was the MIG-21 series,with the MIG-21 Bison as the final advanced version of the type.This roughly corresponds to the IN's building under licence of the Leander class (Nilgiris) frigates,with the last two improved Nilgiris which carried a Sea King ASW copter as approx. equivalent to the MIG-21 Bison which was a global first.The Godavari class FFGs which later appeared are of totally indigenous design,though based upon a stretched version of the Nilgiri's hull and power plant and 30% larger,was completely different as to her sensors and armament,the first hybrid warship using Western and Russian eqpt. which could also carry two Sea Kings ASW copters ,again another world first for such a size of warship .It was a great achievement,not thought possible by the Brits at all and lauded worldwide.I recall one article in a mech-eng. mag showing how the Godavari had the smallest sized engine room of comparative sized western warships,leaving large extra space for weapons,fuel,etc.

Tejas to my mind is similar to that great achievement,of India in producing an entirely indigenous warship design-G class,that did incorporate foreign key inputs like sensors and weapons.LCA MK-2 will then correspond to the Brahmaputra class,an even more advanced version of the G class,wth better weaponry,sensors,etc. (new more powerful engine,larger airframe,AESA radar,BVR missiles,ASMs,etc.).In time to come with more advanced indigenous aircraft arriving like the AMCA,equivalent to our Shivalik/stealth warships.One can thus see that the aerospace industry suppoprting the IAF lags behind the warship and sub building programmes of the IN,but we are "over the hump" so to speak,have crossed a very significant milestone and hough the road ahead will have many challenges,one hopes that with the same focus,perseverance,MOD support and the fact that the end-user,the IAF has been taken aboard,will certainly be a smoother one.
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

At Last, India's LCA Cleared for Initial Operation
VIVEK RAGHUVANSHI
As usual..
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i= ... =ASI&s=TOP
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

CFTs can be taken off only on ground. That means the plane has to lug them around even when they are empty till it lands.
Are you sure that these tanks don't take up pylon space ? I'm not 100% sure on this.

Pratik jii,
Which comments ?
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Amazing ADA-LCA video of all major tests (background score : Vande Matram AR Rahman)

I like the part when the R-73 screams away in sync with the song at 0:44 and then the last part with 5 LCAs in formation. Kudos ADA and Jai Hind!
Last edited by Nikhil T on 11 Jan 2011 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

jamwal wrote:CFTs can be taken off only on ground. That means the plane has to lug them around even when they are empty till it lands.
Are you sure that these tanks don't take up pylon space ? I'm not 100% sure on this.

Pratik jii,
Which comments ?
This is the only remaining comment that I can see for Rajat Pandit's whine:

I'm sure there were many more before because I even responded to one person named "Indian" by stating that his post was better than the article itself.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

indranilroy wrote:
chackojoseph wrote:Its not conformal fuel tank. its an artist impression. The particular area has been depicted bit prominently. otherwise, the particular feature must be too hard to depict. It it looks cute that way.
Chackoji, if the artist is trying to show wing body blending, he goes completely heywire near the tail. Actually conformal tanks on LCA makes a hell lot of sense. May be its not in the priority list now. But once the FOC is reached, it might be a very good addition.

Could you please confirm this from your sources if the picture is just the artists portrayal or are conformal tanks being thought of. I will be very grateful. Thank you.
There is no such talk. let them fly mk1 in FOC and Mk2 into production. Mk3 or variants are not spoken about.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Jamwal sahab, the CFTs will be on the shoulder above the wing. So there should not need any pylons. Generally these tanks are much more lighter relative to the external tanks on pylons and as I said produce much lesser drag and other performance penalties.

This is a superficial read about the usage (benefits) of CFT on F-16I-configuration.

CFTs are something towards which the world is moving to.
http://defense-update.com/products/c/F-16-CFT.htm

If there is a singular aircraft which can gain most out of CFTs, it is Tejas IMHO. It will make others cry :)
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

chackojoseph wrote:
indranilroy wrote: Could you please confirm this from your sources if the picture is just the artists portrayal or are conformal tanks being thought of. I will be very grateful. Thank you.
There is no such talk. let them fly mk1 in FOC and Mk2 into production. Mk3 or variants are not spoken about.
Thank you Chacko sahab :)
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

The video posed by Nikhil T reminds me of the weapons integration issues LCA had once upon a time. The "railings" kinda stuff you see on the wings ... folks were criticising that DRDO cannot figure out how to pu it there, will there be weapons integration at all Blah Blah Blah... It very satisfying to see it release thousand pounder.

BTW, that R-73 release and the music @ 50 - 57 secs gels well.

AR Rahman + Tejas = Sallam India.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

PratikDas wrote:....

I'm sure there were many more before because I even responded to one person named "Indian" by stating that his post was better than the article itself.
And, just like magic, the comments are back!
manojks
BRFite -Trainee

Post by manojks »

“The euphoria over the success of Tejas notwithstanding there has to be a reality check, even if it seems harsh. Even union defence minister A K Antony has admitted that Tejas has reached just "the semi-final stage'' at this point.”

True, because this is IOC. Every aircraft which joins IAF has to go through this. Every aircraft including SU-30MKI went through this. And therefore, there is always a semi final for every aircraft which joins Indian air force.

“As was first reported by TOI earlier, the overall developmental cost of the Tejas project, including the naval variant and trainer, has zoomed up to Rs 17,269 crore from the initial Rs 560 crore earmarked for it in 1983. With each Tejas to cost around Rs 200 crore over and above this, India will end up spending well over Rs 25,000 crore on the programme.”

Completely misleading :eek: . In 1983, few people (I salute to them) had meeting and decided that it will be good if India develop its own aircraft. A vary ambitious project to develop a 4th generation fighter from scratch was conceived at that time. In order to develop a 4th generation fighter jet, several research facilities and centers had to be established. I will request to the readers to go and check how many research facilities had been established to develop Tejas. Rs. 560 crore was an initial amount to start the project and not to finish the project. Just by looking at the list of research facilities which were establishes for technology development, one can easily understand that Rs. 560 crore is very low amount. The total maximum development cost (Rs 17,296 crore as written) is only one third to one fourth of what other nations have spend on developing similar technologies. The estimated price of Tejas, which is around Rs 200 crore includes its development cost. The Rs. 200 crore is not only manufacturing cost, but also includes its development cost (per piece of Tejas = (development cost + manufacturing cost)/tentative number of Tejas to be produced. Therefore, the last sentence is completely wrong and in my opinion, has been written with the intention to misinform the reader :evil: .

“Moreover, the real induction of the first 40 Tejas jets will begin only towards end-2013, with the first two squadrons becoming fully operational at the Sulur airbase (Tamil Nadu) by 2015 or so, a full three decades after the LCA project was first sanctioned to replace the ageing MiG-21s.”

The way this paragraph has been written, it appears that these time lines are very long. This is not very long time line for a fighter jet induction. Fighter jets are not desktop computers which you can buy from the shelf. Therefore, this part is also misleading. I will request readers to go and check time line of any aircraft and compare that to Tejas’s.

“That's not all. The first test-flight of the Tejas Mark-II version, with more powerful American GE F-414 engines, will be possible only by December 2014, with its production beginning in June 2016. And even then, the Tejas will just be a medium to low-end fighter, not a high-end air dominance one.”

The paragraph starts with “That's not all”. First, the author is putting misleading (some time completely wrong) information in his article and than saying “That's not all” :D . Any one can judge his intentions. Second most important thing, there is a well defined role of every fighter in the IAF. Broadly speaking, IAF has three classes of fighters. First is heavy multi-role air-dominance fighter (Su-30MKI), second are medium weight fighters with primary role for ground attack with some air defense capabilities (Mirage2000, Jaguar etc) and third is the light weight fighters with similar ground attack and some air defense capabilities (MIG-21). LCA Tejas has been designed to be in third class with aim to replace MIG-21 (and not to Su-30 MKI). Tejas is light weight fighter (not low-end fighter) and certainly has not been designed for air-dominance (IAF has Su-30 MKI for this purpose).

“ACM Naik, in fact, described Tejas as a "MiG-21 plus-plus'', and made it clear that it was not even a fourth-generation fighter at present but would be in the future, indicating it will primarily be used to plug the gap in numbers.”

When ACM Naik was asked about the capabilities of the aircrafts which were present at the ceremony, he said that since some of the on-board systems are not fully functional, these aircrafts are not truly 4th generation. He than added, once all the on-board systems are fully functional, Tejas will be true 4th generation fighter. Just to add here, some of the on-board systems require some tweaking-testing and therefore are not fully functional. These systems will be fully functional latest by June-11. All these processes come within the parameter of IOC. I do not understand what author means by “to plug the gap in numbers”.

“Consequently, India's frontline combat fighters will the 270 Russian-origin Sukhoi-30MKIs already being inducted for around $12 billion, the 126 new medium multi-role combat aircraft to be acquired in the $10.4 billion MMRCA project and the 250 to 300 fifth-generation fighter aircraft to be built with Russia in the gigantic $35 billion project.”

Those 270 Su-30MKIs will be produced by 2017-18 (now he is not mentioning the time line). There would be 200-250 FGFAs (not 250-300) and the $35 billion will be spent over 25-30 years for development and production.

“Yes, there is no getting away from the critical fact that India has to be self-reliant in military hardware and software if it wants to emerge as a superpower on the global stage. But the Tejas saga puts serious question marks on the defence indigenisation model being followed.”

India has to be self-reliant in military hardware and software if it wants save some money so that it can make its citizens prosperous (and not only to emerge as a superpower on the global stage). But the behavior of a section of media, which has no other job but to criticize the indigenous efforts at any cost and at every occasion, always trying puts serious question marks on the defence indigenisation model being followed.

“The fighter, for instance, is still only around 60% indigenous despite being 27 years in the making. It, for example, is powered by American GE engines, with the indigenous Kaveri engine failing to pass muster despite Rs 2,839 crore being spent on it since 1989.”

60% is not “only” considering 100% of this article was misleading. In most part of India, 60% means first class and certainly not fail in any condition. The author is mentioning 27 years time as assembly of Tejas started 27 years ago. An idea of developing a 4th generation fighter was conceived in 1983. Again about the Kaveri, it is not failing and Rs 2.839 crore is not too much for an engine development. A concept was put forward in 1989 and development work begun much later.
Last edited by manojks on 12 Jan 2011 01:46, edited 2 times in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Telling quote from Kota in TOI
http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/mob ... blabel=TOI
One crash,and wed have had to pack up
No one seems to know this but the first prototype of the Swedish fighter JAC-39 crashed in its very fourth flight.It was running on an American engine.Even the first full production flight of the Swedish fighter crashed.But they carried on.

If there was even one crash,people would have sent us packing.The project would have been shelved.Indians can be unforgiving. (Khud ko jai karein? :roll: ) Kota Harinarayana is the Bhageeratha behind the LCA project.He is the 21st century Bhageeratha for us,as far as our domain is concerned.The way he used to interact at review meetings was superbly encouraging.His questioning in meetings,making hard points,being forthright,was remarkable.He would adopt the carrot and stick outlook in our meetings.The interest he is taking in the project even after retirement is something for everyone to emulate.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

There is a lot of quoting out of context by mediapersons... ACM Naik has been largely very positive about the LCA project, and so have his predecessors. Any words can be twisted to a negative meaning by a reporter interested in doing so!

Meanwhile, I loved the Vympel R-73 launch, so reposting!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ZMuisk4I8[/youtube]
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

Congrats to the design houses and IAF for developing and inducting this magnificent fighter.

Lot of superlatives for IAF - they now operate the lightest, smallest, (cheapest?!) multirole fighter in the whole world. Most customizable platform in their inventory which can be altered and upgraded at their wish!

For ADA/DRDO I wish they they get some purely experimental airframes manufactured to test the next gen datalinks,radars/anti-radar coatings,materials ,airframe mods, local engines etc. Also Tejas has the distinction of not facing any mishaps throughout its development (touchwood) - kudos to all those scientists and quality control people.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Manojks

Nice. But there is a 1500 word limit for comments. It'll be even better if you write those points in a blog and send the draft as an article to some main stream media outlets. Not many people read the comments

Pratik
That comment seems too much like "Good done of free world" (something similar) of that Chinese drone :lol:
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

I'm very pleased by the Mig21++ comment made by ACM. Prima facie, he was unhappy about what LCA could have been, but he has managed to concede atleast part of the truth (even though we all know it is lot more capable). Now IAF has no excuse but to order 126 LCA Mk-1 to replace the Bisons as they're not only more capable (as conceded by ACM) but also are newer airframes. You want more squadrons, why not put your money where your mouth is.

As an when the Mk-2 is ready, IAF can order another 126.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

manojks wrote:I tried to create a response of Pandit's article on TOI. I will request experts to correct it if there is any mistake and post it to as many places as possible.

--

Never respond to articles like this. When a person writes a negative article he is waiting for suckers to put up responses to tear down. Wait for another opportunity to respond - and at that time - quote this article and say why it is bullshit.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

The media response to LCA IOC is expected. Even so, the media reports make me sick. I guess I had a glimmer of hope deep down that there would be at least some change in media's attitude. I do not know if it is just how we are or is the media just plain retarded or if they are on foreign payroll. Perhaps its just the mixture of all these factors.

But on a bright note, the video released by ADA is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Wish there was an HD version.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Sorry to go OT

Here is the history of the Eurofighter, from 2 sources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter_Typhoon
http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/aveuro.html
  • The UK had identified a requirement for a new fighter as early as 1971.
  • By 1977, the West Germans were considering a replacement for their Lockheed F-104 Starfighters
  • In 1979 British Aerospace and Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm presented a formal proposal to their respective governments for the ECF, the European Collaborative Fighter[10] or European Combat Fighter
  • In 1983 the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain launched the Future European Fighter Aircraft (FEFA) programme
  • on 2 August 1985 Italy, West Germany and the UK agreed to go ahead with the Eurofighter.
  • The maiden flight of the Eurofighter prototype took place on 27 March 1994
  • The redefined aircraft was redesignated the "Eurofighter EF2000" as a means of glossing over the fact that the original plan envisioned that it would already be in production by 1992
  • As the aircraft was still not in production, much less operational service, by the year 2000, the various factions involved in the effort gradually began to refer to the aircraft as simply the "Eurofighter" and not the "Eurofighter EF2000"
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

when shiv goes OT it usually means ON TARGET. :)
SriSri
BRFite

Post by SriSri »

Saab may be involved with LCA Mark II. Quoting Mr. Inderjit Sial, Chief of Saab India:
"...But we are in talks with ADA for supporting LCA Mark.2...."
Full interview at .. More than Gripen - Interview with Saab India Chief Mr. Inderjit Sial
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

interesting...but I wonder where?
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Pictures of LCA Tejas handing over ceremony to IAF

I got some pics, see them. I made some photo essay kind.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

http://the-diplomat.com/flashpoints-blo ... ence-leap/

India’s Big Defence Leap
By Nitin GokhaleJanuary 11, 2011

Following is a guest entry by Nitin Gokhale, Defence & Strategic Affairs Editor with Indian broadcaster, NDTV 24×7
SriSri
BRFite

Post by SriSri »

Singha wrote:interesting...but I wonder where?
He wouldn't say. But we're trying to dig something out.. :)
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

And finally it all ends where money is

Israel bars AESA radar export to India

IAI had also viewed the Indian Aeronautical Development Agency's Tejas light combat aircraft as a potential candidate for the AESA radar. The modular design weighs 130-180kg (286-397lb) and consumes 4-10kVA, depending on the design configuration, and has built-in growth potential, the company says.

source flightglobal
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

ASPuar wrote:There is a lot of quoting out of context by mediapersons... ACM Naik has been largely very positive about the LCA project, and so have his predecessors. Any words can be twisted to a negative meaning by a reporter interested in doing so!
Happened in almost all projects. Then copy and paste artists will make it a fact after few years. Then, analyst will quote in every freaking journal.

I was chating up witha young journo. He told me about Arjun Gun. To quote

journo : "I myself was there when the Arjun Tank turret fell down when it fired a shot."
me : how stupid these drdo scientist are, they cant tie the dammed 20 ton turret properly."
journo : "yeah, and I was scared because I was standing so near to it!"
me : "phew! what a lucky escape!"
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

even for a hypothetical twin engined n-lca-mk2, why do we need saab's help? perhaps it could be the AESA radar.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Singha wrote:interesting...but I wonder where?
the more pertinent question is why?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

exactly.. we should focus on getting it done all by ourselves from now on./ aim 85%-90% indigenous stuff.