India-US Strategic News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Arjun
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4283
Joined: 21 Oct 2008 01:52

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Arjun » 24 Oct 2010 13:11

darshhan wrote:Yes companies like IBM are landing up lot of work in India.For eg majority of Airtel's infrastructure is managed by IBM.But this work is not offshored to USA.Almost all the work is done locally by IBM here in india itself.Infact IBM now employs upto 100000 workers in India.So they are actually creating employment here.

Doesn't mean much...India is not benefiting in any way from Indian firms outsourcing to IBM. If IBM were not there, these firms would have outsourced to another Indian firm who would have been just as competent, but may have been somewhat costlier, since they are used to higher margins. So maybe we modify the placard to say 'Impose additional taxes on Indian firms that leverage IBM, Citibank, Mckinsey and Goldman Sachs'. Look, you can only convey so much in a placard, and this is more to prove a point. If there is intent to negotiate on the Indian side, we can always come up with justifiable rules that promote usage of Indian firms by Indian corporates.

abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9664
Joined: 19 Nov 2009 03:27

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby abhishek_sharma » 24 Oct 2010 13:41


Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9252
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 12:47
Location: University of Trantor

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Hari Seldon » 24 Oct 2010 14:24

Can the glamorous first lady give up an opportunity for a little bit of compassion-voyuerism and poverty tourism while in India, eh?

From Drudge:

REPORT: First lady 'likely' to meet 'commercial sex workers' in India!

Presidential entourage books all 570 rooms in 5-star Taj Mahal Hotel...
In this era of economic difficulties for the American population, where by one account close to 40% of the total populn is on food stamps, is this kinda expense justified at all?!?

Teleprompter to debut at India's Parliament when Obama speaks...LOL

Amber G.
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7075
Joined: 17 Dec 2002 12:31
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Amber G. » 24 Oct 2010 19:38

CRamS wrote:AmberJi,

sarcasam and humor aside, please answer my question, was it India who invited Obama or vice versa?

Don't know exactly what's your point, but I'll answer. From what I know (widely reported in all news media) that PM of India, on the behalf of its government and people invited the Obama and the family, formally when he was at WH. I am sure you can find details if you really want.

OTOH if you want to continue your tirade about "[you thought] it was standard US used-car salesman chicanery at work, soothing India's neurotic quest.." I can't help you. I just think it is plain silly.

I hope you are not a peer reviewer of top notch physics publications :-). You standards are too mediocre I would say.


Thanks for your "hope" and brilliant judgement. Too bad that it has as much effect on me and my career as average Syed shouting in deaf-and-dumb forum about Indian Americans. Seriously your brilliant vyakhan is not even original, an average syed in deaf-and-dumb go in a tizzy (using similar logic and words, trust me) and presenting that kind of "expert analysis".. you seem to be totally ignorant about peer review process in physics publications, you certainly do not know about me and my standards, yet speaking like you typically speak.

Fareed Bhai is a quintessential establishment mouthpiece, and one doesn't even have to be biased to say this. He serves US propaganda purposes of putting out a brown Muslim face, and have Tina Brown..
ityadi ityadi ...

Brilliant! who needs madam Shireen?

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 8528
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Mort Walker » 24 Oct 2010 20:01

Hari Seldon wrote:Can the glamorous first lady give up an opportunity for a little bit of compassion-voyuerism and poverty tourism while in India, eh?

From Drudge:

REPORT: First lady 'likely' to meet 'commercial sex workers' in India!

Presidential entourage books all 570 rooms in 5-star Taj Mahal Hotel...
In this era of economic difficulties for the American population, where by one account close to 40% of the total populn is on food stamps, is this kinda expense justified at all?!?

Teleprompter to debut at India's Parliament when Obama speaks...LOL



Should there be significant mid-term losses for Obama's party on Nov. 2nd, expect outlets like Drudge Report to be very critical of the India visit. It would be poetic justice if Ohio governor who signed off on limiting contracts to Indian companies get defeated. Indian-Americans should work for the defeat of such scoundrels.

Muppalla
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7089
Joined: 12 Jun 1999 11:31

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Muppalla » 24 Oct 2010 21:40

We may be thinking too much about these US presidential visits. 99% of the times, POTUS visits to India is after they become powerless and lameduck. Let us see the results of Nov elections in US and then see if Obama falls into the 99% or not. To me most of the visits are like vacation times for the POTUS with a different cultural. GWB is the only president whose visit was very short and productive (may be for US and may be for India) too. Clinton's visit is another strong one interms of rhetoric and praises but none in terms of action. Obama will keep talking about the following:
(1) Great diverse civilization
(2) Great 21st century democracy
(3) Future of the world
Our folks' mouths gets watered and watered with the praises. Hope they don't fall for the flattery.

I only see another Clintonion one and no real expectations.

SriSri
BRFite
Posts: 545
Joined: 23 Aug 2006 15:25

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby SriSri » 24 Oct 2010 22:18

India Calls for Strict Monitoring of U.S. Military Aid to Pakistan
...
These events come at a crucial time preceding President Obama's December visit to India. Top defense and aerospace majors are pitching for lucrative defense deals in India and fear that U.S. giveaways to regional rival Pakistan might tip the balance against American companies in favor of Russian, Israeli and European companies in closely contested deals.
...

g.sarkar
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2485
Joined: 09 Jul 2005 12:22
Location: MERCED, California

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby g.sarkar » 24 Oct 2010 22:33


"Adding to the Obamas’ busy schedule is Michelle’s likely visit to Kamathipura, where she will meet commercial sex workers on the invitation of an NGO. The high profile visit is likely to inconvenience the citizens, as there could be a complete clampdown on traffic on some main roads of south Mumbai and sanitisation of buildings flanking them."
As the punters/clients visiting Kamathipura during this visit will be inconvenienced, the POTUS should at least compensate them by paying for their next visit. I am sure this will be a great help to the commercial sex workers. Gurusharan Kaurji could return the favor in their next visit to the Great Land by also visiting the Red Light Districts of the cities they go to. The US has many such red light areas, All in my very humble opinion of course.
Gautam

RajeshA
BRF Oldie
Posts: 15995
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 19:30

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby RajeshA » 24 Oct 2010 22:43

The First Lady is free to visit any Red Light Area in India, if she speaks at length about prostitution in the USA at a special convention held in India called "Alarming state of sex workers in the developed world"!

Does Michelle Obama have a record of working for the welfare of prostitutes in United States or is it a new hobby just to focus on prostitution in India, as if to question the 'morality' of otherwise so religious and spiritual Indians?

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 22838
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby chetak » 24 Oct 2010 23:09

RajeshA wrote:The First Lady is free to visit any Red Light Area in India, if she speaks at length about prostitution in the USA at a special convention held in India called "Alarming state of sex workers in the developed world"!

Does Michelle Obama have a record of working for the welfare of prostitutes in United States or is it a new hobby just to focus on prostitution in India, as if to question the 'morality' of otherwise so religious and spiritual Indians?



The NGO is wired to heavy hitters.

May be a few chips were called in.

maybe some bible connection too.

csharma
BRFite
Posts: 639
Joined: 12 Jul 1999 11:31

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby csharma » 25 Oct 2010 00:04

From Sheela Bhat from Rediff.

http://news.rediff.com/slide-show/2010/ ... -power.htm

The sources pointed out that India cannot comprehend why the US is boosting Pakistan's naval capability when the Taliban are not known to have any naval forces.


Robert Kaplan in his latest book Monsoon says in page 9, " Along with its continued dominance in the Pacific, the US clearly seeks to be the preeminent South Asian power". He bases this on a Marine Corps "vision and strategy" document released in 2008.

It would appear that considering the two things together some kind of Olaf Caroe type offshore balancing is being done to make sure there are regional challengers to IN.

It will also increase the cost to India if it were to take military action against Pakistan for a terror attack.

SureshP
BRFite
Posts: 256
Joined: 10 Apr 2002 11:31

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby SureshP » 25 Oct 2010 01:08

Obama visit: All the president's desis
Washington, Oct 24 (IANS)

Not only does US President Barack Obama view ties with India as a ''defining partnership'' of the 21st century, but he also banks on a lot on many Indian Americans to get things done. At over two dozen, the Obama administration has more Indian-Americans in high places than ever before.

Their numbers have been rising through the Clinton and Bush presidencies in keeping with their growth (2.5 million now) and success in public life.

By far the most high ranking desi, as South Asians are called colloquially, in any presidential administration is Rajiv Shah, who as the administrator of USAID holds the purse strings of a $2.6 billion kitty to provide foreign aid to from earthquake ravaged Haiti to flood-hit Pakistan.

Before he was picked up by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for the sub-cabinet level job, the whiz-kid born to immigrant parents from India, served as undersecretary for research, education and economics and chief scientist in the Agriculture Department.
Obama's two other most significant choices are Aneesh Chopra to be the first chief technology officer and Vivek Kundra as the federal chief information officer, appointments which endorsed the Indian presence in the technology sector.

Along with Chief Performance Officer Jeffrey Zients, their job is to turn Obama's vision of data-driven and digital government into reality with websites that are more like an Apple app store than well a government site.

"In our personal lives, we live in a culture where 'there's an app for that', but for whatever reason we came into Washington, and it still looks like a culture where 'there's a form for that'," says Chopra.

But the man to watch as Obama packs his bags for what promises to be a historic visit to India is Anish Goel, a senior staffer of the National Security Council and a rising star of the US foreign service.

It was Goel with a PhD in chemical engineering from MIT, who was at Obama's side at his one-on-one meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during his state visit last November, the first such visit of the Obama administration.

Similarly, when the US side engaged New Delhi on Af-Pak issues, the Senior Defence Advisor to Richard Holbrooke, the special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, was another desi, Vikram Singh.

Obama turned to yet another Indian American, Neal Katyal, when he chose Solicitor General Elena Kagan to replace the retiring Associate US Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens.

Kagan's principal deputy, the former Paul and Patricia Saunders professor of national security law at Georgetown University Law Centre, now holds her job in an acting capacity.

An Indian-American Muslim, Rashad Hussain, is the US Representative to the Organisation of the Islamic Conference, an intergovernmental group with 57 member states. And another Farah Pandith serves as US special representative to Muslim communities.

Three Indian Americans Farooq Kathwari, Sunil Puri, and Amardeep Singh serve on the Presidential Advisory Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, a body to help the community get greater access to federal funding and programmes.

Other Obama choices include Preet Bharara, the US attorney for New York, a job previously held by former mayor and 2008 Republican presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani, and Preeta Bansal, general counsel and senior policy advisor in the Office of Management and Budget.

Among science brains, IIT Madras alumnus, Subra Suresh, has just taken over as the director of the National Science Foundation, the top US science body with a $7.4 billion budget to support scientific institutions.Another Arun Majumdar is director of the Advanced Research Projects Agency - Energy in the US Department of Energy.

A number of Indian Americans have made their mark in the Obama administration.

Rajiv Shah - USAID administrator
Aneesh Chopra - first chief technology officer
Vivek Kundra - chief information officer
Anish Goel - senior staffer of the National Security Council
Vikram Singh - senior defence advisor to Richard Holbrooke, special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan
Neal Katyal - acting solicitor general
Rashad Husain - US representative to the Organisation of the Islamic Conference
Farah Pandith - US special representative to Muslim communities
Farooq Kathwari, Sunil Puri, Amardeep Singh - all three serve on the Presidential Advisory Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders
Preet Bharara - US attorney for New York
Preeta Bansal - senior policy advisor in the Office of Management and Budget
Subra Suresh - director of the National Science Foundation
Arun Majumdar - director of the Advanced Research Projects Agency - Energy in the US Department of Energy.


http://www.deccanherald.com/content/107128/obama-visit-all-presidents-desis.html

Amber G.
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7075
Joined: 17 Dec 2002 12:31
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Amber G. » 25 Oct 2010 01:43

self delete.
Last edited by Amber G. on 25 Oct 2010 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 54542
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby ramana » 25 Oct 2010 02:39

AmberG, If you think calmly its flame bait. And not worthy of you.

Kamboja
BRFite
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Mar 2010 19:41

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Kamboja » 25 Oct 2010 02:47

I had a thought a few weeks ago that has taken root and I have ruminated upon it since. Begging the leave of the gurus here space to hear me out, and any thoughts will be much appreciated.

- What if India took on a pro-active role to mend relations between US and Iran?

Why would we do this?
At a tactical level
- US is currently beholden to Pakistan as it provides the cheapest transit route to Afghanistan. Improving relations with Iran would mean the opening up of a viable alternative route (bonus points: it would run through Chabahar, the port we built). This provides more space for those in the US who want to put more pressure on TSP or even actively work against it

At a strategic level
- Iran is the bastion of Shia Islam, and they share enmity with the global Wahhabi/Deobandi jihadis who the US are battling. Yes, short-sighted US foreign policy has led to an alliance between Hamas and Hezbollah, but the broader Sunni-Shia tension is obvious in the hatred between the Saudis and the Iranians. In the long term, it is the radical Sunnis who have the most potential for enmity with the West, and since they also hate the Shias, it is the latter who are natural allies for the West (and for us, incidentally) in that part of the world
- Iran has massive natural gas reserves which we want to exploit. The US currently blocks these efforts to the extent that they can because they have a problem with the regime in Tehran. Mend these relations and we remove one more obstacle in the way of an Iran-India gas deal
- More broadly, it opens the way for India and Iran to greatly augment ties -- as I believe we should (this opens up a different argument but I won't go into it for now). The US will continually seek to bring India in line with their policy of isolation against Iran. Bringing Iran and the US together will allow us to extricate ourselves from the nasty choice of whether we want a civil nuclear deal with the US or gas from Iran -- now we can have both! And in the process we earn the goodwill of both parties, enabling closer cooperation on the real enemies in the region, i.e. Wahhabism and Deobandism as embodied by the Shia-hating TSPA.
- Importantly, it will help deny China space to expand into the Middle East via Central Asia. As it stands now, if Afghanistan goes down as a Pakistani colony come US withdrawal (and therefore Afg will be the colony of China's colony -- colony by proxy!), China has a land route all the way to Iran. The latter will be more than happy to work with China so long as they are threatened by the US. It would be in our interests to see China denied that space (not to mention access to Iran's gas).

It seems such a natural set of ideas that I frankly am amazed that the US has not done more to improve ties with Iran. I know Israel has a lot to do with this.

But India and Iran have historically warm ties, and for once we should take proactive role as befits a growing global power, and move heaven and earth to bring these foes together. It makes sense for them and for us.

What am I missing here? What factors make this workable, or not?

Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie
Posts: 3407
Joined: 24 Apr 2010 01:24

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Cosmo_R » 25 Oct 2010 03:06

On The Deccan Herald stuff, why 'South Asian'? they all seem to be Indo-Americans. Is IANS pursuing some agenda?

Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9252
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 12:47
Location: University of Trantor

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Hari Seldon » 25 Oct 2010 04:50

Three Indian Americans Farooq Kathwari, Sunil Puri, and Amardeep Singh serve on the Presidential Advisory Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, a body to help the community get greater access to federal funding and programmes.

:evil:
The same Kathawari of that Ethan Allen fatichar company? Whose son died fighting Indian troops in cashmere? And the yanks are tone-deaf or merely pretend to be so?

pgbhat
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4127
Joined: 16 Dec 2008 21:47
Location: Hayden's Ferry

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby pgbhat » 25 Oct 2010 05:04

^ Wiki says in A'stan not Kashmir.

Amber G.
BRF Oldie
Posts: 7075
Joined: 17 Dec 2002 12:31
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Amber G. » 25 Oct 2010 08:33

Ramana - I have deleted one post.. please feel free to delete any other which you deem inappropriate.

I do have a point/perspective and that is related to this thread, but may be some other time I can articulate it better and people don't feel like being flamed, at present it seems like (at least to me) that anything contrary to one particular narrative automatically gets a hostile response.

Altair
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2620
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 12:51
Location: Hovering over Pak Airspace in AWACS

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Altair » 25 Oct 2010 08:39

RajeshA wrote:The First Lady is free to visit any Red Light Area in India, if she speaks at length about prostitution in the USA at a special convention held in India called "Alarming state of sex workers in the developed world"!

Does Michelle Obama have a record of working for the welfare of prostitutes in United States or is it a new hobby just to focus on prostitution in India, as if to question the 'morality' of otherwise so religious and spiritual Indians?


Do you expect Gursharan Kaur to visit any strip bars in US in their next visit? :rotfl: :rotfl:
Just imagine! MMS being offered a lap dance. :rotfl:

darshan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2248
Joined: 28 Jan 2008 04:16

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby darshan » 25 Oct 2010 08:52

First lady is better off talking to some motel owners in US especially in south central areas of major cities and they would gladly take her around to talk to lot of sex workers.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 8528
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Mort Walker » 25 Oct 2010 08:55

Amber G. wrote:^^^ Thanks for posting the list, but I wonder how long it will take before some member(s) here, quoting their "vast experience" will start ad hominem attack on these just because they have an Indian American name....Wonder how many of the above list will be attacked here as 'uncle tom', 'clue-less', 'having mediocre judgement' , 'traitor' , 'macaca' , 'idiot','Islamist' .. just for the fun of it.

Of course, I am not talking about where reasonable person offers some reasonable critique, I am only talking about ad hominem attacks where above words were actually used in that manner.


Amberji,

It is interesting that you first thought of it that way. As an Indian-American myself, I initially viewed the list as people who wanted to serve because of the gratitude of what they received or were interested in national service at the highest level so that they could bring change for the good. Or they are building their resume since such plum positions are so difficult to obtain and are generally for a few years before finding something much more lucrative - like it or not, that's just how the system works.

However, I do note the following and some questions/comments that are somewhat interesting:

1. Rajiv Shah has an MD from Univ. of Penn. His wife is Indian and did he take an oath on the Gita or Bible? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hillary_Clinton_swearing_in_Rajiv_Shah_2010.jpg
Conclusion: Shah is not an atheist or is an EJ. From his family background, I suspect he is Hindu.

2. Aneesh Chopra is good looking and single at age 37. MA from Harvard.
Conclusion: Is Chopra gay?

3. Vivek Kundra has degrees in psychology and Information Technology (which used to be called Library Science) from Univ. of Maryland.
Conclusion: He got the job due to connections with Gov. Tim Kaine in Virgina as opposed to the Obama administration hiring someone with much better technical IT credentials from industry.

4. Anish Goel has a PhD in Chemical Engineering from MIT and was involved in the IUCNCA in the Bush administration.
Conclusion: Well qualified fellow in the right place, but we know little of his personal life.

5. Vikram Singh advisor to Holbrooke and the Pakis hate him.
Conclusion: If the Pakis hate him, then he's doing the right thing, but "Dick" Holbrooke is disliked by Obama personally and will be gone, hopefully Singh can go back to civil service.

6. Neal Katyal is an Ivy League lawyer (Yale) who took over Kagen's position when she went to the supreme court. His wife is doctor Joanna Rosen, sister of commentator Jeffery Rosen.
Conclusion: Katyal has been around a while and is associated to the Democratic party's key players for over a decade. He is building his resume for political ambitions.

7. Rashad Husain is another Ivy League lawyer (Yale), but has graduate degrees in Islamic studies and Arabic. He can recite the Koran by heart.
Conclusion: The fellow is Indian only by origin and seems more Arab.

8. Farah Pandith is a Tuft's University lawyer born in Kashmir 1968. Previously worked at USAID.
Conclusion: She appears Americanized because she doesn't wear Islamic clothing.

9. Farooq Kathwari former CEO of Ethan Allen furniture.
Conclusion: Enough said.

10. Preet Bharara is another Ivy League lawyer (Harvard)
Conclusion: Insufficient information.

11. Preeta Bansal is an Ivy League lawyer (Harvard). Originally appointed as Solicitor General to the Attorney General of New York by Elliot Spitzer in 1999.
Conclusion: Bansal is the surname of Baniyas from north India, so OMB may indeed be a good place.

12. Subra Suresh is young (53) dean of college of engineering at MIT on leave. His wife is a white lady, Mary.
Conclusion: Will go back to MIT in 2 years when Obama looses election, as he has lots of opportunity in academia after serving as director of NSF.

13. Arun Majumdar is an IIT-Bombay graduate and used to run UC Berkely's Environmental Energy Technologies Division as well as being professor of Mechanical Engineering there.
Conclusion: Smart fellow that will probably not be listened to.

abhischekcc
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4277
Joined: 12 Jul 1999 11:31
Location: If I can’t move the gods, I’ll stir up hell
Contact:

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby abhischekcc » 25 Oct 2010 09:22

DEL...
Last edited by abhischekcc on 25 Oct 2010 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

ramana
Forum Moderator
Posts: 54542
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby ramana » 25 Oct 2010 09:28

Vivek Kundra is not like that. On 911 he was attending an interview in a govt office and took the job as it was offered on the spot. He worked hard at ITVTY up-gradation of govt offices. And then he got recommended for the IT job to Obama.

Straight from his mouth. Have a forum member as witness.

Mort Also look for Ro Khanna of Dept of Commerce.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie
Posts: 8528
Joined: 31 May 2004 11:31
Location: The rings around Uranus.

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Mort Walker » 25 Oct 2010 09:38

Ramanaji,

I've got to sleep now. I'll take a look at Ro Khanna (another Ivy League from Yale law) tomorrow. At least Vivek Kundra isn't an Ivy League graduate. :) Sometimes I wonder that an automatic disqualification for any government position is a degree in the liberal arts, business and law from any of the Ivy Leagues.

CRamS
BRF Oldie
Posts: 6811
Joined: 07 Oct 2006 20:54
Contact:

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby CRamS » 25 Oct 2010 09:45

Mort Walker wrote:
2. Aneesh Chopra is good looking and single at age 37. MA from Harvard.
Conclusion: Is Chopra gay?



Wrong. He himself mentoned he is married during a recent key note talk he gave at an energy (smart grid) related event.

Anant
BRFite
Posts: 270
Joined: 02 May 1999 11:31
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Contact:

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Anant » 25 Oct 2010 10:53

I went to school with Anish Goel. He's originally from Iowa City, Iowa. His dad was an engineer here, as is his brother. He might be a good engineer but god only knows what he's doing as a policy wonk. Anytime someone switches careers like that I tend to think they flamed out in their original career. At any rate, he's diminutive physically, loud and as American as any other white male. His only connection to India is the fact that his parents are Indian. His dad did his graduate studies in Australia and they have been away from India from the word go. I have nothing good nor bad to say about him except the fact that he's not an Indian nationalist. He will tow the American government line lock stock and barrel. Make no mistake about that.

Philip
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20797
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: India

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Philip » 25 Oct 2010 11:50

O gracious majesty,emperor divine,mighty commmander-in-chief,Messiah to the world,Welcome!Welcome!Welcome!

Thou art beneovelent as none other,thou hast deigned to visit our humble land and sanctify it with thy feet.We prostitute ....sorry,prostrate ourselves before thy wondrous shining glory.We are unworthy of lifting even our heads to gaze upon thy fair visage! Thy gracious first lady has even desired to uplift our fallen women.Luck's bountiful favours have truly been bestowed upon us,what joy to our people! Let the temple bells ring out loud and clear and proclaim to all,that the Mess-iah approacheth.Gaze upon him and tremble all ye people.Mighty are his works and mightier still his unfinished work of looting our fair land whose treasures we..sorry,Dr. Singh, has promised unto him!

Obama sends wish list to Singh ahead of visit
http://news.in.msn.com/national/article ... id=4497281

New Delhi: Bringing to bear his political weight amid the not-so-successful efforts at bridging differences on a range of critical issues, US President Barack Obama has written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh conveying US expectations from the presidential visit early next month.

According to reliable sources, the letter was carried by US under secretary of state for political affairs William Burns last week and personally handed over to the Prime Minister's Office. While details are not known, sources said the US President has expressed hope that concerns of US nuclear industry arising out of India's civil nuclear liability legislation would be addressed soon in order to commence commercial negotiations.

Obama is said to have listed out other unresolved issues too that he hoped would be addressed. These include closure on certain defence deals like the purchase of C-17 aircraft, market access to US agricultural products and problems emerging from India's fresh norms for telecom companies. However, he is believed to have made no mention of issues important to India like supporting its candidature for permanent membership of the UNSC. What is causing some concern is there is no sign of closure on any of the issues important to either side.

UNSC membership: The US has so far agreed to describe India as a "natural candidate" for permanent membership but India is keen on a clearer commitment like US "endorsing" India's candidature. So, the issue still remains open despite lengthy negotiations with Burns and Assistant Secretary of State for South Asia Robert Blake last week.

US Nuclear concerns: For US, India making the move to join the Convention on Supplementary Compensation is just one pre-requisite to begin commercial negotiations. Washington has surprised New Delhi with a suggestion that if the Act cannot be amended, then the operator - in this case the NPCIL - gives an undertaking that the right to recourse to the supplier as enshrined in Article 17 (b) of the Liability Act, will not apply on US suppliers. US has been told that this kind of exception is just not possible and that US companies will have to work within Indian laws. There seems to limited convergence on this issue. The DAE has complicated matters by not assigning high-level officials to brief US nuclear suppliers in a meeting which was scheduled in Mumbai. Upset US authorities took up the matter officially and at South Block's behest, a meeting was arranged in Delhi where DAE head Srikumar Bannerjee was asked to interact with US suppliers.

Entities list: There is still no clean exemption from the US. While it is prepared to remove ISRO and DRDO entities from the list of entities requiring case-by-case clearance to trade in dual-use technology, US has still not conceded ground on removing entities belonging to the Department of Atomic Energy. Also, US has conveyed that end-use verification would still be applicable even if these entities are taken off the list. This is not acceptable to India, which wants a clean and complete deletion of all Indian entities from the list maintained by the US Bureau of Industrial standards. The issue is still open and further negotiations are needed.

Defence deals and agreements: With the US pushing for India to take a call on signing some of the pending defence agreements like the LSA, CISMOA and BECA, a proposal is under consideration to announce setting up a joint Indo-US group for discussing defence agreements. This is still to get Defence Ministry's clearance. Meanwhile, certain big ticket defence deals are expected to be announced during the visit.

NSG membership: Here, there is a greater convergence with US agreeing to language that it would seek to "evolve criteria" within the NSG that would make it possible for India to be considered for membership of this elite group.

Market access to US dairy and meat products: US wants prohibition on its dairy and meat products to go. Indian authorities say calf rennet is used in many US dairy products and the ban cannot be lifted until suitable measures are taken to satisfy India that this is not used in products sent to India. US is very keen to have this prohibition lifted while India is worried about religious sensitivities connected with this. A US delegation expected next week to specially discuss this issue.

Source: The Financial Express



PS:What is Michelle O's fascination with "sex workers"? I thought that that special perogative was Bill Clinton's alone? This is an insidious patronising insult to India,as if only in India do sex workers exist! The Penthouse founder died only days ago in the US,and the tales of US Congressmen, Senators and celebrities caught in the act with call girls keeps us entertained year after year! If I was the PM,I would refuse such a visit point blank and ask whether the first lady wanted to visit a brothel because of any former experience.

Pratyush
BRF Oldie
Posts: 8239
Joined: 05 Mar 2010 15:13

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Pratyush » 25 Oct 2010 12:07

Hey every past us FL had a pet cause. Inorder to be different this one's is "sex workers"

Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9252
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 12:47
Location: University of Trantor

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Hari Seldon » 25 Oct 2010 12:08

^^^LOL, Philip saar, you really are on a tear here or what....

BTW, lest we forget, Sri Obama voted against the IUCNA, sponsored poison pills at the Hyde Act Stage and personally did everything he could as a senator to downgrade India from the 'strategic partner-vartner' talk sri Bush merrily indulged in.

In any case, like someone mentioned, only lameduck US presidents visit India - its seen as a harmless ego-massage at that stage. Sri Obama has essentially declared his lameduck status even before the midterm poll or what, with this trip?

Jai ho and all that.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 22838
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby chetak » 25 Oct 2010 13:02

Philip wrote:

PS:What is Michelle O's fascination with "sex workers"? I thought that that special perogative was Bill Clinton's alone? This is an insidious patronising insult to India,as if only in India do sex workers exist! The Penthouse founder died only days ago in the US,and the tales of US Congressmen, Senators and celebrities caught in the act with call girls keeps us entertained year after year! If I was the PM,I would refuse such a visit point blank and ask whether the first lady wanted to visit a brothel because of any former experience.



Philip Saar,


We are condemned to confined thinking from the americans. Whatever the incumbent in the white house may say, the entrenched bureaucracy will react in only way.

That is why they cannot see beyond our neighbors,
thus missing the woods for the trees.

By sending the wish list and publicizing it, they seem to have mistaken MMS for santa claus.

Here's hoping that the GOI is restrained and cautious keeping in view our supreme national Interest


The results of confined thinking ... a cautionary example …

very interesting piece of history ...

Here's a look into the corporate mind that is very interesting, educational, historical, completely true, and hysterical all at the same time.
The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number.
Why was that gauge used? Because that's the way they built them in England, and English expatriates designed the US railroads.

Why did the English build them like that? Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that's the gauge they used.

Why did 'they' use that gauge then? Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons,

which used that wheel spacing.

Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing? Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old,

long distance roads in England, because that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads? Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions.

Those roads have been used ever since. And the ruts in the roads? Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had

to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels.

Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge

of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's ass came up with this?' , you may be exactly right.

Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses.


Now, the twist to the story:

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank.

These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah

The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site.

The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than

the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, imagine a major Space Shuttle design feature of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand

years ago by the width of a horse's rear. Ancient horse's rear ends controlled almost everything ...

These facts are historical, pragmatic and comic.


Last edited by chetak on 25 Oct 2010 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie
Posts: 13262
Joined: 30 Dec 2005 18:28

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Lalmohan » 25 Oct 2010 13:09

^^^ amazing, and to think that the paquis have broken that paradigm and shifted to a goat's rearend. true geni-ass

Philip
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20797
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: India

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Philip » 25 Oct 2010 14:47

Tx Chetak! This reminds me of that famous story of the Moon Lander design,which was giving NASA's boffins a hard time.The problem was that the Astronaut's couldn't see out of the windows which were too high,located above the control panels.While they were discussing in the cafeteria how best to redesign the whole caboodle,which would've cost millions,a waiter overhearing their conversation said,"guys,why don't you just raise the seat?" Which is what they did!

In recent times,on trips to Delhi,I've found that with every trip the cancer of US penetration of Indian institutions,be it the media,etc.,keeps on proliferating.It is why Obama with impunity can publicly "demand" that India not simply bow to him or genuflect,but have to prostitute...oops! Prostrate itself to the Mess-iah and get all orgasmic at simply being in the presence of the great one.
We have jellyfish in charge of the nation and what the nation demands is a firm public NO to any such blackmail.We are not pretenders to the title of "rent-boy" of the sub-continent.That belongs to Pak.

CRamS
BRF Oldie
Posts: 6811
Joined: 07 Oct 2006 20:54
Contact:

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby CRamS » 25 Oct 2010 17:08

Anant wrote:I went to school with Anish Goel. He's originally from Iowa City, Iowa. His dad was an engineer here, as is his brother. He might be a good engineer but god only knows what he's doing as a policy wonk. Anytime someone switches careers like that I tend to think they flamed out in their original career. At any rate, he's diminutive physically, loud and as American as any other white male. His only connection to India is the fact that his parents are Indian. His dad did his graduate studies in Australia and they have been away from India from the word go. I have nothing good nor bad to say about him except the fact that he's not an Indian nationalist. He will tow the American government line lock stock and barrel. Make no mistake about that.


Ditto Aneesh Chopra. In terms of jingoism, and nothing wrong with that per se, Aneesh Chopra will give Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh as run for their money. Just because one has an Indian name, does not mean, they will see, much less dare to articulate issues from an Indian POV.

ShivaS
BRFite
Posts: 701
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 14:23

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby ShivaS » 25 Oct 2010 17:14

What is so strategic in India US when it is one sided dictation.

Philip
BRF Oldie
Posts: 20797
Joined: 01 Jan 1970 05:30
Location: India

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Philip » 25 Oct 2010 17:18

Do we want to be allies...sorry ,poodles and strategic partners with such war criminals?

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 15666.html

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown: A worse record than Saddam's

It could fuel terrorism, recruitment into jihadi cells, suicide bombers and ugly attitudes towards the West. But keeping the stories hidden was always wrong/

Xcpts:
The audacious website first released confidential and candid material on the hellish war in Afghanistan and now opens up a new front, more than 400,000 classified US files documenting the previously untold horrors of the Iraq war. Revealed are countless atrocities and the deaths of 66,000 Iraqi civilians at the hands of US and British soldiers and Iraqi personnel who had joined the allies. Men were burnt, some had parts removed, others were killed slowly; women were shot, children too, killed before they grew. Anything goes, it seems, during a military conflict and no questions are asked. As an Israeli army trainer said, when asked about the death of Rachel Corrie, the young, pro-Palestinian activist mown down by an Israeli tank: "During war there are no civilians".

Related articles
•Secret war at the heart of Wikileaks
•Baghdad to investigate role of Blackwater in deaths
Search the news archive for more stories

The authorities in Iraq did not investigate reports of abuse and killings. An Iraqi friend tells me the rape of girls, women, boys and men was widespread, a tool used both to intimidate and punish. Apparently, there are images from Abu Ghraib prison of these sadistic "punishments"; they were never released because of the feelings they could arouse in Muslim countries. So morally deformed are these men of war that they care more about inconvenient outrage than they do about crimes against the people they supposedly went to save. They should have heeded the words of Martin Van Creveld, an erudite Israeli war historian who compared the disastrous American Vietnam War with the Iraq adventure: "He who fights the weak – and the rag-tag Iraqi militias are very weak indeed – and loses, loses. He who fights against the weak and wins, also loses. To kill an opponent who is much weaker than yourself is unnecessary and therefore cruel." By this reasoning, to fight the weak who are not in any sense your enemy is extreme brutishness and totally self-defeating.

Manfred Novak, the UN special rapporteur on torture, says Obama's administration must investigate and come clean – after all, this President vowed to change the image and behaviour of the US which, for too long, has co-operated with tyrants and violated human rights across the world, including in Guantanamo Bay, which is still open and where captured, lost boys became broken men.

Fewer and fewer global citizens now believe the rapturous anthems and sombre panegyrics of God's own America. After this week, the number will have tumbled further,


http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oc ... qi-torture

The Wolf Brigade was created and supported by the US in an attempt to re-employ elements of Saddam Hussein's Republican Guard, this time to terrorise insurgents. Members typically wore red berets, sunglasses and balaclavas, and drove out on raids in convoys of Toyota Landcruisers. They were accused by Iraqis of beating prisoners, torturing them with electric drills and sometimes executing suspects. The then interior minister in charge of them was alleged to have been a former member of the Shia Badr militia.

The war logs also disclose that Wolf Brigade members were themselves at risk of reprisals. In January 2007, US soldiers reported a gruesome discovery in a street near Baghdad: "Only the severed head was found. A wire was run through the ear with the corpse's ID attached to the wire. 3rd bn [battalion] commander identified the remains as Ahdel Abu Hussain, he was an officer in the NP [national police] Wolf Brigade."

Venkarl
BRFite
Posts: 962
Joined: 27 Mar 2008 02:50
Location: India
Contact:

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Venkarl » 25 Oct 2010 17:26

Philip wrote:PS:What is Michelle O's fascination with "sex workers"? I thought that that special perogative was Bill Clinton's alone? This is an insidious patronising insult to India,as if only in India do sex workers exist! The Penthouse founder died only days ago in the US,and the tales of US Congressmen, Senators and celebrities caught in the act with call girls keeps us entertained year after year! If I was the PM,I would refuse such a visit point blank and ask whether the first lady wanted to visit a brothel because of any former experience.


deleted..apologies
Last edited by Venkarl on 25 Oct 2010 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

milindc
BRFite
Posts: 720
Joined: 11 Feb 2006 00:03

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby milindc » 25 Oct 2010 18:02

http://news.rediff.com/report/2010/oct/25/defence-deals-unlikely-during-obamas-visit-says-antony.htm
Defence deals during Obama's visit unlikely: Antony
October 25, 2010 17:52 IST

India [ Images ] and the United States are unlikely to wrap up any defence deals during the high-profile visit of President Barack Obama [ Images ] early next month, Defence Minister A K Antony indicated on Monday.
"I don't think so," he told reporters on being asked if the defence ministry was expecting any deals to be signed during Obama's visit commencing from November 6.

Venkarl
BRFite
Posts: 962
Joined: 27 Mar 2008 02:50
Location: India
Contact:

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby Venkarl » 25 Oct 2010 18:04

wah mere lal...i lubh jhoo...at least you have the spine to do some plain talk.

abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie
Posts: 9664
Joined: 19 Nov 2009 03:27

Re: India-US Strategic News and Discussion

Postby abhishek_sharma » 25 Oct 2010 18:57

Lashkar behind Sikh massacre in Kashmir in 2000, says Headley

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Lashkar-behind-Sikh-massacre-in-Kashmir-in-2000-says-Headley/Article1-617459.aspx

India’s security establishment had always blamed the LeT and the Hizbul Mujahideen for the massacre in Anantnag district of south Kashmir.

But many others — including the US administration — doubted the claim. President Clinton condemned the massacre, but was cautious to blame “unknown groups”. Years later, writing the introduction to his then secretary of state Madeleine Albright’s subsequent book Madam Secretary: A Memoir, he is said to have blamed ‘Hindu militants’ for the attack. The reference was however, edited out by the publishers.

Strobe Talbott, then deputy secretary of state, later confirmed Clinton was never convinced the Lashkar was behind the violence.

A number of facts about the killings led to these doubts. Most important was the fact that most of those killed were Sikhs. Sikhs had never before been targeted by Kashmiri militants.

An army encounter five days later in Pathribal village, which was later found to have been staged, indicated there was more behind the Chhittisinghpur killings than met the eye.

Before the visit of President Barack Obama to India — he is expected on November 6 — the National Investigation Agency has revealed Headley had said an LeT operative called Muzzammil — aide of Lashkar’s chief military commander Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi — had spoken to him of his involvement in the Chittisinghpora massacre.

"I recollect that once Muzzammil had told me how he had gone and killed civilians in a village in south Kashmir before the visit of the then US President Bill Clinton to India. After coming to Muzaffarabad, he was initially given the charge of operations,” Headley told NIA sleuths in the presence of FBI agents.

Headley also credited Muzzammil, 34, with planning and conducting the Akshardham Temple attack in Gujarat, according to his 109-page interrogation report apart from helping with the 26/11 attacks.

The confirmation of the Lashkar role is significant in the backdrop of noises from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir. Syed Salahuddin, who heads the United Jihad Council — the amalgam of militant outfits active in Kashmir — has “cautioned” that Indian security agencies could carry out another massacre such as the one in Chattisinghpora and blame it on terrorists.

Indian agencies maintain Salahuddin’s statement could be an effort to draw suspicion away from the jehadis, who may well be planning a major attack.


Return to “Trash Can Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests