MRCA Discussion - October 2, 2010

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: MRCA Discussion - October 2, 2010

Post by SaiK »

The new MMRCA will replace the IAF's existing fleet of MiG variants.
So, all the upgrade $$ are for down the drain!? ddm is in an emergency situation where they are almost turning to madrassa schools for furthering their knowledge.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Vipul wrote:
"The cost negotiation for MMRCA will begin by the end of this month. I expect the contract to be signed before I retire from service in July this year," Naik, who interacted with the capital's women journalists, said.
Hope they let us know who they are negotiating with. We have had enough of the suspense.
The chosen combat jet will be the mainstay of IAF's fighter aircraft fleet for the next 40 years. The new MMRCA will replace the IAF's existing fleet of MiG variants.
126 aircraft can hardly be called the "mainstay", especially when we are going to operate 270 MKIs.
narayana
BRFite

Post by narayana »

'Hopefully when India evaluates the six competitors for MMRCA (medium multi-role combat aircraft), it decides one of the two American platforms... F-16s Super Viper (Lockheed Martin) and F/A-18 (Boeing) Super Hornet.
we may end up with 126 Typhoons or Rafale plus 74 F-18s
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

There was time in the early 60s India wanted US fighter aircraft and was told they were too complex for India!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.bharatrakshak.com/NEWS/newsr ... wsid=14516 India prefers to integrate alternatives to CISMOA specific equipment. CISMOA clause is backfiring on US, as it is not able to realize full potential of the multi billion dollar deals with India. .
sounds like it is a tussle for the khans without CISMOA. Now the ball has stuck on the barbed fence.
SidGupta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SidGupta »

The cost negotiation for MMRCA will begin by the end of this month. I expect the contract to be signed before I retire from service in July this year," Naik, who interacted with the capital's women journalists, said.
I dont understand. Didnt they say last week that the off-set proposals have been delayed (by the GOI)?

Werent they supposed to only be negotiation with a 'narrowed list' of vendors, whose offset proposals, along with the IAF's trial results match the MoD's and GOI's expectations.

How can now suddenly the cost negotiations be expected to start in April? Or is this a case of ill-informed reporting? ('Mainstay' .. ?)

Maybe, what Naik said was - "the offset clause proposals will be submitted by end of this month and the process of drawing out a final list of contenders and price negotiation will begin by July"? Is there a video/audio of this interaction?
Last edited by SidGupta on 11 Mar 2011 10:26, edited 3 times in total.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

ramana wrote:There was time in the early 60s India wanted US fighter aircraft and was told they were too complex for India!
In the mid 90s the mktg prof was saying that India does not have money to buy products from US. It may have some market for def equip due to govt budget and dismissed it as not worth it

The narrative is the poor people are so vast that there is no need to sell anything
"The poor child and the rich child walk and go together" is the term used by the amirkhan
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

bringing back this old link:-
http://www.8ak.in/8ak_india_defence_new ... ismoa.html

I don't want to quote or post the whole thing.. just for few who wants to get into details.
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

All they(usa) want to do is to achieve is to kill local(PSU) R&D by,

1)Restricting technologies by various methods,until CISMOA is agreed ,
2)After cismoa, keep on selling anything until they want it to control
Right now they are loosing billions,but in future they will dominate entire defence supplies worth much more.

Its just a case where who blinks first... This time they have someone who they like to be in power(MMS)
This gives them a unique opportunity.
kmc_chacko
BRFite

Post by kmc_chacko »

narayana wrote:
we may end up with 126 Typhoons or Rafale plus 74 F-18s

or 126+51 Rafael's & 74 F-18s
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

look at what the US has done to the british fighter jet making ability...
ofcourse, everyone will say, its just healthy market competition...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I have a brilliant pakplan.

IN needs advanced fighters for IAC-1 and follow on carriers. the vikramaditya and shore based training sqdn can absorb the 30 Mig29K on order.

so order around 60 F-18IN for the IAC-1 and IAC-2 at a low rate of delivery. supplement with Tejas-N as planned. buy no more Mig29K.

meantime order 100 EF/Rafale for IAF and 50 more Tejas mk2.

looking at it holistically, a fighter onsite whether owned by IN or IAF is fighting for our cause with same intent and effectiveness...
Last edited by Singha on 11 Mar 2011 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

as long as the shornets do not have the collar that can be held by unkill, and giving us a boot everything something triggers our patience and reaching threshold values towards pakis. can they do a ski jump?
RSoami
BRFite

Post by RSoami »

...I think they are negotiating with two or three of the six...
Will declare a winner...and sign the contracts...
And deal with legal issues later...
We are unlikely to know who the winner is till the contract is just some days away...
Boreas
BRFite

Post by Boreas »

Lalmohan wrote:look at what the US has done to the british fighter jet making ability...
+++1
GeorgeWelch
BRFite

Post by GeorgeWelch »

Lalmohan wrote:look at what the US has done to the british fighter jet making ability...
The Eurofighter says their fighter jet making ability is just fine, thank you very much.

BAE is also a key F-35 partner.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

Vipul wrote:"The cost negotiation for MMRCA will begin by the end of this month. I expect the contract to be signed before I retire from service in July this year," Naik, who interacted with the capital's women journalists, said.
Interesting!
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Acharya wrote:In the mid 90s the mktg prof was saying that India does not have money to buy products from US. It may have some market for def equip due to govt budget and dismissed it as not worth it

The narrative is the poor people are so vast that there is no need to sell anything
"The poor child and the rich child walk and go together" is the term used by the amirkhan
Well American do not really love the Indians but they love our money , it would be so Un-American of them not to love our money :P

They will sell us any thing as long as we can show them some green buck
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

vic wrote:
Vipul wrote:"The cost negotiation for MMRCA will begin by the end of this month. I expect the contract to be signed before I retire from service in July this year," Naik, who interacted with the capital's women journalists, said.
Interesting!
Indeed it is , I have read couple of AirChief saying that and then retiring while MMRCA has out lived their office :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lets hope Naik is the lucky charm :mrgreen:
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

It has 99% probability that the winner is already selected, all this delay is because they want scam-season to be over, then make it public ....

since money,huge money is involved and looking at the historical perspective, pray we dont have artillery type story repeated , just pray they atleast finalize something.Pukis would be working overtime to spread some scam news through jholawalas ..
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Austin, nobody would sell "anything" for money. It is too abstract to say that, and I think I know what you mean. Never in the American history sale, was "anything" sold that has no choke points.
Luxtor
BRFite

Post by Luxtor »

Splitting the order of 126 jets between European and American jets is not a good thing. Doing so will negate the financial and industrial advantages. IAF/MoF will end up having to support two different aircraft, assembly lines, parts manufacture and procurement systems. Unless the Americans can give iron-clad guarantee that they under no circumstances would impose sanctions and withhold parts, expertise, maintenance and industrial cooperation even if we're bombing the hell out of the pukis with weapons of U.S. and other origins, then it would be foolish for India to walk into such a trap with eyes wide open. Never forget the Pokhran-2 related sanctions when Indian engineers working on the LCA fly-by-wire system in the U.S. were thrown out of the country so unceremoniously. I'm glad that India has resisted signing of the CISMoA agreements for the U.S. weapon systems that we have purchased so far. I hope no further purchases from the U.S. is entertained until the Americans agree to our terms and conditions of weapons purchase.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Austin wrote:
Indeed it is , I have read couple of AirChief saying that and then retiring while MMRCA has out lived their office :rotfl: :rotfl:

I am not referring to our air chiefs, but one advantage of huge delays is that people who take bribes or people who want to take bribes will move on, retire or lose their jobs. For example imagine a senior sales executive from EADS who wants to further his career by making a huge sale to india. he may mobilise funds to bribe a lot of people - but if the deal is not done in his time in office or even by the time any potential bribe takers are forced to retire, the bribe giving and bribe taking system is badly upset. By the time such a deal is signed by India - 3 or 4 CEOs would have come and gone from various companies and middlemen would have tried, failed and moved on.
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

shiv wrote:
Austin wrote:

I am not referring to our air chiefs, but one advantage of huge delays is that people who take bribes or people who want to take bribes will move on, retire or lose their jobs. For example imagine a senior sales executive from EADS who wants to further his career by making a huge sale to india. he may mobilise funds to bribe a lot of people - but if the deal is not done in his time in office or even by the time any potential bribe takers are forced to retire, the bribe giving and bribe taking system is badly upset. By the time such a deal is signed by India - 3 or 4 CEOs would have come and gone from various companies and middlemen would have tried, failed and moved on.
Most likely, dealers and middlemen must have already figured out ways to handle this, they could not have survived in India otherwise, and Swiss banks would not hold so much Indian money otherwise....unfortunately, lobbies operate everywhere - including where you do not want them to - so, one guy leaving does not matter, because people belonging to the same lobby and smartly placed at the right places during the "mentors" tenure continue driving the agenda and making monies by doing so. These agendas are sometimes "held" for some time if a straight officer who can not be "managed" comes in...and continue as soon as he's transferred out or retired. This is also why no bureaucrats or politicians ever get convicted or punished in this country.....I suspect, this is also what Gen VK Singh alluded to when he spoke of "cleaning up" the services. Sadly, there is no one to clean the politicians and babus - except the supreme court of India, who too have not been active in defence matters ...lets see if the newly formed Armed Forces Tribunal can bring the required change.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jai and Pandyan - I am sure you guys are right. My insights into these issues cannot be more than that of a novice.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

So, these 6 companies must employ an young CEO for higher chance of things happening for that company. Who is the youngest CEO of these 6 contenders? :twisted:
joygoswami
BRFite

Post by joygoswami »

I hope not going to OT
Pentagon again back to its Bullying with their fighter.

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-237992- ... -jets.html
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

joygoswami wrote:I hope not going to OT
Pentagon again back to its Bullying with their fighter.

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-237992- ... -jets.html
I am not sure, it can be characterized as bullying, rather as protecting one's interests. If we build a jet fighter under license or even buy it, it does not entitle the buyer to source codes and technology transfer. This should not however stop the buyer from trying to negotiate the best deal possible. Maybe its time we realized that and stop bad mouthing the US or any other country on that count. No country will share the keys to the adytum....(except pakistan in advanced IT).
manum
BRFite

Post by manum »

shiv wrote:
Austin wrote:

so we also would have been derailed from where we started...what we wanted and in such a long stretch we ended up choosing, what came first at our sight...as with long grueling time everything will start looking the same...
In whole round of discussions we have had...did we ever reach to one conclusive point, which will be time proof and true all the time?...
Thing is not the CEO's or bribe people...but the ideology or doctrine which is simple and self-sustaining beyond personnel tenure, but then politics is not something easily explainable, if it has a role to play...
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Yes.. well said there Guddu. It is important we hire the best of lawyers and ensure we have drafted our needs with the supplier what exactly we want without hampering our future doctrines.
sumshyam
BRFite

Post by sumshyam »

An OT.

But, I am fed up with all the giggling of negotiations...! Waiting for the knock out punches...!
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Indeed Saint Antony! good job there. Stay away from influencing firangs.

Excellent news for our low corruption index level.
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

^^^Getting nervous about a US official visit so close to a big decision may mean that MoD might be considering a teen seriously and they want to make it clear that such a decision was taken after a lot of deliberation and not because of last minute pressure. Otherwise a good politician would be capable enough to not let such a visit overpower years of testing and planning (which may happen if Mod is planning to buy other than the teens).
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Gurneesh wrote:^^^Getting nervous about a US official visit so close to a big decision may mean that MoD might be considering a teen seriously and they want to make it clear that such a decision was taken after a lot of deliberation and not because of last minute pressure. Otherwise a good politician would be capable enough to not let such a visit overpower years of testing and planning (which may happen if Mod is planning to buy other than the teens).
Exactly my thoughts.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

mmm Gurneesh! nice point.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

^^^^
Kumar was given treatment fit for a head of government during his visit, born out of Washington’s mistaken belief after dealing with banana republics and client states that such red carpet receptions can influence decisions in a country like India.

I think Title made them give the special treatment
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

well said Gurneesh....

I have this sinking feeling that we will be saddled with the f,s........
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

We are in such overdrive mode to please unkil, that we will buy even the P-51 Mustang ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer ... 51_Mustang ) if they were the only Amreeki aircraft in the MMRCA contest. All because unkil has laid the guilt trip for the nuclear agreement. How the GOI can even think to buy the Shornet (a glorified bomb truck) or the Super Viper over the Typhoon/Rafale is surprising to say the least. I would not be surprised if they split the order between the Shornet and the Super Viper. Make unkil really happy!! :)

We should remove the chakra in the Indian Flag and replace it with the stars from the Amreeki flag.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ :eek: , We will see as to what happens to the MRCA there is still time for that, now where is our Mithai ? :D