Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by Indranil »

Just my two paisas on the discussion here.

It is obvious that a senior officer may not be a great manager ... But why are we getting obsessed with just the post. The post is just symbolic ... The idea is to have a better all round synergy in terms of operations rather than management ... To drive the urgency of IAF's needs to the HAL's production (Shivji is very right IMHO, I did meet a few people from HAL who were themselves fed up with the bureaucratic set up of HAL).

I am trying to find out a wonderful write-up which was posted here some time back ... unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the author ... but this guy was a big-wig (not AM P. Rajkumar) ... it was a fairly long article about how the management was botched up and how he had tried hard to get it right but failed. It is a very very good read and very pertinent to this topic. Can somebody please help me in digging out that article?
Last edited by Indranil on 25 Jun 2011 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

Rahul M wrote:however, they might not be able to make transition from military world to corporate world.
The two environments i.e. armed forces/corporate world are so different that good manager in one might not translate into a good one in another. The challenges faced by the leaders in both the cases are so different. Maintaining morale in armed forces is so different from motivating people in a corporate setup. Issues like retaining people, hiring new talent and loyalty have entirely different meanings in either environments. A Hitler type person could be very good military leader but bound to fail in civil enviorment as you mentioned in your post. Instead of IAF officers or scientists, GOI should look for some professional manager who has earlier experience of running an organization. Just my two cents.

Cheers....
GeorgeM
BRFite -Trainee

Post by GeorgeM »

indranilroy wrote:Just my two paisas on the discussion here.

... But why are we getting obsessed with just the post.
:)

Neerajb-ji, consider this situation in the commercial world (Think purely from commercial perspective for now) Company A sells almost 100% of their products to Company B. Also on the flip side, a large percentage of Company B's products are from Company A. Then pretty soon either Company B will buy Company A , or vice versa Company A will buy Company B. In this case, thankfully HAL cannot afford IAF, but on the flip side what IAF is trying to do is to get better control over HAL. They have a concern here.

Now add to it what role IAF should play in directing HAL, so that their needs are better met. May be a board of directors or MD or advisory board or anything in between.
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

Sidharth, Nobody is challenging greater synergy between IAF and HAL but IAF jumping and asking for MD position appears like turf grabbing or an attempt at subordination of HAL to IAF. IAF is no company but a national asset tasked with defending Indian skies, so that companies analogy doesn't hold here. There is a lot that can be done for better co-ordination/co-operation between IAF and HAL but making IAF the boss of HAL surely is a counter productive move.

Cheers....
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I say, let local private consultants hired.. and be reviewed yearly basis and fired on no performance. Both HAL and IAF has the right to review performance... now coming to engineering and project management, from planning, design, schedule to delivery.. no one wants to talk about it, and sideline all the wrong doings.

if something is wrong.. phyrring alone does not help without causal analysis of issues.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

As long as DRDO/HAL/IAF/IN/IA/etc/etc/etc are viewed, by each other, as separate entities this problem will always remain. It can never be resolved. One has to live for the remaining entities.
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

neerajb wrote:
Rahul M wrote:however, they might not be able to make transition from military world to corporate world.
The two environments i.e. armed forces/corporate world are so different that good manager in one might not translate into a good one in another. The challenges faced by the leaders in both the cases are so different. Maintaining morale in armed forces is so different from motivating people in a corporate setup. Issues like retaining people, hiring new talent and loyalty have entirely different meanings in either environments. A Hitler type person could be very good military leader but bound to fail in civil enviorment as you mentioned in your post. Instead of IAF officers or scientists, GOI should look for some professional manager who has earlier experience of running an organization. Just my two cents.

Cheers....
It is one of the reasons why USAF/USN etc. appoint liaison officers on specific projects that "belong" to them along with co-leaders for some of the higher level teams. This includes not merely product development, and manufacturing, but also upgrades, maintenance, etc.

HAL's customer is not just IAF. However, for each IAF project there should be a liaison officer along with co-leaders for the higher level teams. Be is SU-30MKI line of production, or new product development like AMCA, or next-gen improvements to LCA.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Forces are precision users, and one can't consider them as business men or organization for product development and production. At the most, they can say what they want and help in planning and inputs.

It is a joke that I read here people want IAF & HAL to merge or be consider on the same line of thoughts, instead of finding what is the ground reason for HAL's bad image.
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

Indian Navy offered Maritime version of Global Hawk
MQ-4C also known as Broad Area Maritime Surveillance (BAMS) UAV based on Global Hawk and will complement the 737 based Multimission Maritime Aircraft (MMA), the P-8A Poseidon.
This will be deadly combo :mrgreen:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

MQ-4C Area Maritime Surveillance (BAMS) UAV will have 36 hour endurance and will be able to operate up to 60000 ft against strong winds and severe weather, and has a payload of 3200 LB .MQ-4C will have 2D AESA radar providing it 360 degree coverage over vast section of the ocean.

MQ-4C will provide Indian Navy, a tactical platform which will be able to scan large section of Indian Ocean for Hostile surface and Submarine fleet, and it also will be operationally be quite cheaper to operate than a manned surveillance aircraft.

looks great. the Ghawk also has a automatic takeoff and landing capability - its not manually handled like smaller drones. so when we can put in a order for say 15 - these puppies have a lot of work to do.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

Singha wrote:MQ-4C Area Maritime Surveillance (BAMS) UAV will have 36 hour endurance and will be able to operate up to 60000 ft against strong winds and severe weather, and has a payload of 3200 LB .MQ-4C will have 2D AESA radar providing it 360 degree coverage over vast section of the ocean.

MQ-4C will provide Indian Navy, a tactical platform which will be able to scan large section of Indian Ocean for Hostile surface and Submarine fleet, and it also will be operationally be quite cheaper to operate than a manned surveillance aircraft.

looks great. the Ghawk also has a automatic takeoff and landing capability - its not manually handled like smaller drones. so when we can put in a order for say 15 - these puppies have a lot of work to do.
Now USA will gift Reaper/Predator to Pakistan while Indian tax payers will be paying for Gobal Hawk
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Singha wrote: looks great. the Ghawk also has a automatic takeoff and landing capability - its not manually handled like smaller drones. so when we can put in a order for say 15 - these puppies have a lot of work to do.
15 units is quite a lot - considering the whole US Navy has projected a requirement of 68 units in total. Also it is expensive - $55 million for the unit excluding the development cost. The cost of Global Hawk itself went up to $124 million per bird and that was in 2004! I'd say twelve P8Is are enough for IN to patrol our extended sea interests. This money is better invested in subs.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

well we have nothing of that size in development. and the Rustom-1 which had its brushes with death is just a tech demo for the much bigger Rustom-2. I dunno if its a lack of people or lack of money or both - but our domestic UAV program is looking very threadbare at this point, when every leading aerospace nation has multiple projects ongoing in parallel. chinese have made a clone of the predator and will no doubt be hanging a few red arrow atgms under it to make a reaper out of it, in 5 yrs we can surely expect to see armed UAVs proliferating on our western border also with a mix of Chini, south african, italian and brazilian technology - even if khan bahadur doesnt give the reaper. Chinis are using UAVs in tibet as our ITBP chaps observed.

we are still stuck on the decade old Searcher2 and Heron uav model...the world is constantly moving.....
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

X post from Newbie dhaga

RahulM saar as suggested by you I downloaded that Daniel P raymer's Aircraft design book, but its quite old in my opinion like 1989's edition. Also I am low on time and can afford to read one book only.
So can you or anyone else please suggest a good aircraft designing book(latest preferably ) asap! Please!!!!
Vashishtha
BRFite

Post by Vashishtha »

Any BRfites into aeronautical engineering?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

manish.rastogi wrote:X post from Newbie dhaga

RahulM saar as suggested by you I downloaded that Daniel P raymer's Aircraft design book, but its quite old in my opinion like 1989's edition. Also I am low on time and can afford to read one book only.
So can you or anyone else please suggest a good aircraft designing book(latest preferably ) asap! Please!!!!
Screw the books. Build flying models. This is the time of your life when you must do things and play. Books are probably being forced down your throat anyway. Get one Bals wood kit and build it - some of the more complex ones are build just like real aircraft anyway.
manish.rastogi
BRFite

Post by manish.rastogi »

Shiv saar books are not being forced on me at all. I am on a tight schedule actually I have this one week only,so I am thinking that when I have time,I should read a book cos my technical knowledge is very low. Also if you could suggest where or in what kinda shops I can get such model kits, will be great. I am in Ahmedabad.
parshuram
BRFite

Post by parshuram »

Air Chief in An Interview to NDTV Actually read out a list of acquisitions -:

Highlighting the Major points around.

1. 126 MMRCA 's t=> Highly optimistic about signing the contract with a single dealer by Sept 2011 and 3 years for First Aircraft(s) to Induct.
2. 214 FGFA 's starting from 2017.
3. 22 Attack helicopters by 2 years {induction}.
4. 2 More AWACS {IL 76 based}
5. 6 more C 1-30 's
6. LCA as Mig 21 ++
7. MIG 29 upgrade and Mirage 2000 Upgrade underway..
8. 8 Squadrons of Aakaash
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Now before any of you start lamenting about the LCA being a MiG-21++ and thus a waste of the exchequer, please remember the Chief is referring to a MiG-21 Bison and not a MiG-21bis or any other variant. The Bison is a formidable aircraft and is quite potent in the hands of an experienced pilot, which all Bison pilots are. So for the LCA to be better than that, you know India has a potent fighter in its hands. And this is just the Mk.1 version the Chief is referring to. The Mk.2 will supersede even that.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

manish.rastogi wrote:Shiv saar books are not being forced on me at all. I am on a tight schedule actually I have this one week only,so I am thinking that when I have time,I should read a book cos my technical knowledge is very low. Also if you could suggest where or in what kinda shops I can get such model kits, will be great. I am in Ahmedabad.
Any young man in India who is trying to acquire an education is having books forced on him. Look for big toy shops and ask where aircraft models can be bought. Google for aeromodelling in Ahmedabad.

I got this from Google
Shivco Hobby Center
303,Umaiya Shopping Center
Satellite Road
Ahmedabad, India
Also
http://www.askme.com/ahmedabad/satellit ... 4841322074

http://in.local.yahoo.com/ahmedabad/ank ... 059284812/
Address:
Abhirath Complex,Narayanpura,Narayanapura,Ahmedabad,380013
Phone:
+91-79-27681796
www.ankurhobby.net | ankurhobby@yahoo.com
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

OT : Shiv Saar, Wouldn't it be better to advice a noob to try foamies first before burning his/her fingers/money with Balsa models.

Cheers....
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

neerajb wrote:OT : Shiv Saar, Wouldn't it be better to advice a noob to try foamies first before burning his/her fingers/money with Balsa models.

Cheers....
Foamies, Balsa, even paper. But reading a technical book? That IMO is the worst way to learn about aircraft design unless you are already training to be an engineer. OT again but it irritates and saddens me to see young Indians reading and reading when they should be doing things with their hands. Children/young people can innovate and learn in ways that will never come from books - but our education system demands mugging like madrassa students learning the Quran.

Book will only teach you about what is likely to fly, and what is already known to the person who wrote the book. They will never teach you the mistakes you can make while building.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

The best of BOTH worlds:

Free Aircraft Design Software for Aerodynamics, Stability and Structures

Really, nothing better than software. Real and wet dreams are fulfilled.

Install any of them on a laptop with a great battery and take the laptop everywhere you go.

A plane built with some of these software:

[youtube]FsfQFV54zPI&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Indian Air Force undergoing major transformation: Air Chief to NDTV
New Delhi: These are exciting times for the Indian Air Force after battling years of obsolescence and depleting fleet strengths, it is now poised for a major transformation. What does the future hold? In an exclusive interview, Air Chief Marshall PV Naik, the Chief of Air Staff discusses his strategy for the transformation of the IAF.

Here's his conversation with NDTV's Security & Strategic Affairs Editor Nitin Gokhale.

NDTV: Let me start by asking you what are the changes that are being done in the Air Force for the past 3-4 years and what do you think is going to happen in the next 3-4 years?

PV Naik: The process of change started seven or eight years back but it is materialising now, which is a very very exciting thing. Over the next 3-4 years, I expect the IAF to become one of the most modern air forces in the world. There are lots of things in the offing - we have aircrafts, equipment, missiles, radars actually we have a very long list.

If you permit me I will just read out from this just to tell you what all inductions we have planned.

First list is of acquisitions: 126 MMRCA's is well-known. 214 fifth generation fighter aircrafts that will be coming around 2017; 42 SU 30's additionally, we require the RFP has been issued to HAL; 75 trainers - that process is well on its way, two more AWACS of IL-76 base which we are waiting for; 10 C-17s - another famous deal cleared by CCS; 80 + 59 medium-lift helicopters; 22 attack helicopters; 12 VVIP helicopters. There are upgrades also going on for weapon systems: 63 MiG-29's, that upgrade is well on its way in Russia. Mirage 2000 upgrade will be going to the CCS next week and Jaguar re-engineering, that is another major project for which a new RFP has been issued now. Missiles, 18 firing units of MRSAM (Medium Range Surface to Air Missiles), 4 Spyders, 49 SR-SAM that is short range, 8 Aakash missiles.

As far as radars are concerned, Rohinis, aerostats, medium-power radars, low-level tactical radars, low-level light weight radars, we have the AFNET which is already active, we have the MAFI (Modernisation of Airport Infrastructure) which is going on. The first airfield to convert on to MAFI would be Bhatinda. And we have the IACCS which is active, so if you see all-round development of the Air Force is in the offing.

NDTV: Some of the deals are always in focus... for example, the 126 fighter jets, it's been a long process... and you've had a technical re-evaluation, flight testing and now you have come down to two manufacturers. There has been a lot of speculation, a lot of writing on this - that the Americans and the Russians were very unhappy and that they in fact went to the extent of saying some of the processes were unfair... they weren't transparent enough, what do you have to say to that?

PV Naik: You know right in the beginning when this deal was going through, I had said that whoever we select, the others would always be dissatisfied. So I think it is a case of that. As far as the entire process of the MMRCA selection is concerned I think it is one of the finest things the Air Force has ever done. There was no security breach, a very fair treatment was given to everybody, every vendor briefed as per RFP and in fact the process has gone so well and so timely that I would like to patent that process. After all these were six of the best aircraft in the world... Unnis -Bees ka farakh, very little difference in all these, very difficult to decide which is the best, ultimately what suits our country - the best has to emerge as the best. That doesn't mean the other aircraft are bad. But these were the best-suited to our conditions and so that is how we went about the selection. The process was very elaborate. As you are aware each aircraft had 600 testing points. So the whole thing went through in a very professional manner and I must compliment the team that undertook this task - very well done.

NDTV: In any case I think and the others have pointed out that this is not the only deal that is going in the Air Force, you have several others. Like the Americans shouldn't be complaining about not getting this deal because you are giving them other orders. For instance the C-17s, the C-130s, Harpoon missiles you are buying from them. Even the Russians - you have a major project with them isn't it?

PV Naik: Yes, we have the fifth-generation fighter aircraft, we have the Brahmos missile which is a joint project. And we have many others.

NDTV: Sukhoi upgrade also, I mean the additional Sukhois?

PV Naik: The Sukhoi upgrade, the MiG-29 upgrade... so many things for the Russians also.

NDTV: So everybody can actually get a part of the pie in India?

PV Naik: But we have selected whatever is best for us. It so happens that it is well-distributed.

NDTV: Coming back to the final selection what do you think is the time frame? You had said before that it should be done very quickly and you are hopeful... do you think there is a time frame you could think of?

PV Naik: At present, the Technical Oversight Committee has finished their report. The report will be submitted to the Rakhsha Mantri. Thereafter, they will open the commercial bids and decide who is the L-1 (lowest bidder) vendor. After that the CNC will start negotiations, thereafter it will go to the Finance Ministry. From Finance, it will go to CCS and after their approval, the final contract will be signed. So I think another two months is a very optimistic assessment. That is by September, I expect this deal to be signed.

NDTV: And once the deal is signed, what is the time frame for the induction for the first aircraft that will come down?

PV Naik: That will be about three years.

NDTV: One way of overcoming over-dependence on foreign vendors or foreign manufactures is to indigenise...we have had this experience of the LCA Tejas. You have inducted the prototype, given operational clearance for the first prototype. How hopeful are you about the LCS Tejas finally getting inducted and coming into the IAF ?

PV Naik: See Nitin, Tejas took us 20-21 years to reach this stage but over the last two years I have seen that we have reached a very good stage and there is light at the end of the tunnel. And I'm very very positive Tejas will be inducted into the Air Force. We have already given the initial operational clearance, now the squadrons will slowly come and start operating these aircrafts. It will take a couple of years for these aircraft to get full operational clearance. During this time, the phase two build-up is also going on with the actual engine which is a GE-414 engine which has been decided. Thereafter, the Tejas will have the engine and we will have 6-7, if not more, squadrons of the Tejas class of aircraft. Now all the people who have flown this aircraft swear by it, it's a wonderful aircraft. Of course, it is not in the fifth-generation class but I would call it a MiG-21++, with some latest technologies, with the latest collaborations an excellent aircraft to fill in the gap in our numbers which is there.

NDTV: In the past we have spoken about critical gaps in air defence, and gaps in the radar and chain of radars we have within the country or on the borders. What is the situation now, what is the status?

PV Naik: See generally we have complete coverage at medium and high levels, there is no gap it is gap-free. It (gap) is only at low levels because the capability of ground base radars is limited because of the earth's curvature. And it is only at the lower levels that we have a gap. To fill these gaps we have many other schemes in place, firstly low-level radars, the medium-power radars, the LLTRS, the LLWRs, they fill in the low-level gap. We have the AWACS, we have the aerostats which actually raises the platform of the radar so it increases the range of the radar, so these are the radars through which we will fill in the gaps. Most of them are on track and 2012 onward, they will start ramping up. In fact, the first medium-powered radar at Naliya - I inaugurated it a couple of weeks back , so thereafter deliveries will start and I'm sure we will have gap-free coverage even at low levels .

NDTV:
What about the air defence systems?

PV Naik: As far as missiles are concerned, we are into MRSAMs - medium range SAMs (surface to air missiles) which is about 100-110 kms range, we are into SR-SAMs that is the short range, we are into Spyders missiles which are even shorter range. So there are different stages of missiles coming - a multi-layered defence which is what is desirable in air defence. Plus we have the AWACS and from the AWACS to the IACCS. Complete pictures available to everybody for better command and control.

NDTV: I just want you to elaborate because in the post-26/11 scare that was there in this country - there was a lot of talk that we have these gaps and even Delhi is not safe. As an Air Chief, I want an assurance from you for the viewers that none of these scares are a reality?

PV Naik: You have my assurance, you must convince the public that our air defence at the present moment is good but we want to make it better. At the present moment, I give you an assurance that Delhi is safe.

NDTV: Let me now move away - a little bit from your current plans and look at the future. There are several threats in the neighbourhood as we know and you have spoken in the past, you don't want to be adversary specific but a capability-based force. Towards that end, how are you progressing? How are you looking at the future?

PV Naik: You know being part of the services - all the three services do an exercise. We assess all the threats around our region - that means it can be a person, it can be a country, it can be anything, it can be an organisation. Anything that affects the growth of our country or that impedes the growth of our country is a threat. Thereafter we decide on what capability we require based on the strategic decisions taken by the country's leadership. Our zone of interest, our political leanings, various other factors come into this. Thereafter we decide what capability by which year we should acquire. Then we go towards procuring that capability. Now in the years to come, our Air Force needs to meet the aspirations of the country. From the Gulf of Hormuz to the Malacca Straits, as the Prime Minister has pointed out therefore, we must have the range, we must have the capacity to reach these vast distances... and we must have the capability to carry out what is known as net-centric warfare because that is the warfare of the future. You cannot do it isolated. So towards that net-centricity forms the bedrock, the base is AFNET which is already in place and it is improving slowly day by day. On the AFNET will be based the ICACS (integrated command and control systems), that are various nodes, places geographically across the country. The IACCS will give you a filter-clear picture of what is happening in its area of jurisdiction. It will pick up the pictures through sensors of Army, Navy, and civilian radars. It will give you a fused and filtered clear picture. So that wherever, you are sitting you will be able to see what is happening all over. This forms the ground segment of the network-centric warfare. Then we come to the air segment, all the aircrafts will be connected through datalink, the AVACS will be connected through datalinks. They download onto what is known as a ground-exploitation station and from there it goes to the IACCS. This forms the air part of the net-centric warfare. On top in space, we have the satellites through which information, recce, communication etc is projected down and once again merged with the IACCS. Once you have net-centricity - at present, we don't have, we are network-enabled. Once we have the net-centricity, then the sensor to shooter time reduces and your reaction is very fast. You are able to undertake immediate operations with this capability. So that is the future that I am looking at you know in about 8-10 years time.

NDTV: You said this before, but I want to ask you this again, are we looking at China more closely? Is our readiness towards or against China - are we looking at it more closely than before?

PV Naik: You know, many people ask me this as a very serious question. We have always looked intently at every threat, not only China or Pakistan. But as I told you, as a military mind, you assess all the threats. We call it the appreciation method. Each and every threat is listed...and a threat is anything that impedes the progress of the country, and we look at it closely. We look at things very, very closely and give the required inputs to the leadership.

NDTV: Coming back to the MAFI and the 30 airfields you are upgrading and modernising...are we also looking at a series or a network of airfields in say Ladakh or Arunachal Pradesh? Are we also looking at that?

PV Naik: Yes, we are. In the North East, it is long overdue. We have a major drive on to modernise all the ALGs (Adavance Landing Grounds). We have eight ALGs which are being modernised. Pasighat, Along, Menchuka and all these places and modernisation of the airfield which are already existing from Chabua, Mohanbari, Jorhat, Guwahati, Bagdogra, Hashimara, Tezpur. And down South, all these things are already under hand. They are on a fast-track. There is a committee, as you know, empowered committee which is looking into the operationalisation and modernisation of these and that is headed by the Vice Chief. As far as the Western Sector is concerned, Nyoma, DBO - that is a Phase 2 for which action has already started and these will also be brought up to the upgraded standard.

NDTV: Are there plans to have Fighter air bases at Nyoma and Leh?

PV Naik: We will have to see that, for that a study is going on at the moment. But for transport airport and helicopters, definitely. Thereafter we will evaluate if it is fit for fighters and then decide.

NDTV: Now let me come back to the other issue we spoke about last year also, about use of airforce in the anti-Maoist operation. At this moment, where does it stand?

PV Naik: See, use of Indian Air Force in anti-Maoist operations is the government's prerogative and we are doing that. What you want to know is if there is any offensive use of the IAF. My views remain the same. After all, it is our own people. Intelligence is not available 120 per cent which is required. There is likely to be collateral damage so therefore, offensive use of the Air Force I will not visualise in the near future. It is already being used for roles like insertion, extraction, CASEVAC (casualty evacuation), recces, surveillance. And it will I think continue to be used for these purposes.

NDTV: Do you think that role will increase?

PV Naik: I am sure it will increase.

NDTV: You recently pulled out all your helicopters from the UN Peacekeeping Mission in Congo, and they are not very happy about it. What was the reasoning?

PV Naik: It was the requirement for our country. You know the helicopters are used basically to support the Army in forward areas. And now... more and more use in urban warfare also. Internal situations against the Maoists, Naxalites etc. We didn't have the helicopters, although we are getting some, but they are yet to be ramped up. So therefore the only way to do it was to pull out from Congo.

NDTV: One final thing on the internal thing. The Air force also does a lot of behind-the-scenes and away from peoples' gaze work. A lot of humanitarian operations in floods and disasters. Do you see even that role being increased because a lot of effort goes into that kind of situations?

PV Naik: I think that role will remain the same, we are already doing considerable work. We do not have the resources but we still give it our best because after all it is saving your own citizens. There have been some very very great rescues which have been carried out. One has been carried out by my predecessor on the Timber Trail (near Shimla) which got a lot of publicity but there are a lot of rescues which do not get publicity. There are always floods along the Ganges, there are always floods down South because suddenly unseasonal rains cause floods and everywhere, the Air Force is the first to go. You want to ferry troops, you need the Air Force. You want to ferry boats, you need the Air Force. You want to rescue, you want to drop packets, now if there is an earthquake you need the Air Force. In fact, in the earthquake which happened in Pakistan and in our adjourning parts of J&K, Air Force did a hell of a lot of work. Leh there were floods, suddenly the Leh airfield was unusable. Army and Air Force together got that airfield up with just about 12 hours which was a very great accomplishment.

NDTV: You are looking at a very modern Air Force, are you getting the required technical manpower? Is the best of the technical talent coming to you? Or is it that you are trying to make special efforts to bring them in?

PV Naik: The intake has improved a little bit, but it is still not up to the desired standards... so we are taking various measures to make sure the intake improves. We are taking them before the 12th standard, before their degree, we are giving them a degree in the Air Force. We are approaching various regions to find new talent. Basic thing, is after their induction, training them and then retaining them. These are the two areas where we are giving our focus. And it is being emphasised everywhere that absorption of new technology and converting the operationalisation of new technology is the need of the hour. So our training patterns have been suitably modified. The training itself is being ramped up. All of this will take a little time.

NDTV: Let me take your views as Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee. What are your views on CDS (Chief of Defence Staff)? What do you think should happen to CDS?

PV Naik: You know the Air Force has been maligned quite badly over a lot of years, they feel that the Air Force doesn't want CDS. Totally to the contrary, the Air Force is very much in favour of the CDS. The point is I do not want a CDS in the present form. That means you make a 3-star, 4-star, 5-star head of IDS which is an existing organisation and call him CDS, you cannot do that. If there is a CDS - in my opinion and this is the Air Force opinion - that he has to be the single point of military contact to the Raksha Mantri. Are we ready to do that? Second point: what role model of CDS do we want? There are different role models all over the world. In the American role model, he controls all the operations of all the three services and he is answerable to the President directly. In the Australian model, the Defence Secretary and the CDS are at par. There are other models where CDS only looks after training and acquisition. There are other models where CDS only looks after operations. So we have to decide what model do we want. The third issue is, do we need a change just because everybody else has a CDS? Now since 1947, we have done pretty well. In 1947, '65, '71 and Kargil operations, despite what people say, I think there was a considerable amount of synergy involved. Today also when we go down to the field levels, that is command level, station level, you find a tremendous amount of synergy between the Army, Navy and Air Force. So do we need a CDS? That is a basic question. In my opinion, I don't think we need a CDS for the next 5-10 years.

NDTV: Do you think India needs to develop credible missile deterrents? Specially because of what China is doing? The distances should improve, the range should improve, do you think?

PV Naik: I feel we are developing the capability to have long-range missiles. This development of capability should never be stopped because 10-15 years from now, when you want it, it will not be available. So the capability development must continue. As far as weaponisation is concerned, that is the government's prerogative. Depending on the geo-politics, they will decide on what distance and what weaponisation is important. But capability build-up must continue.

NDTV: Towards that you are quite happy with what DRDO is doing? The missile program?

PV Naik: That has been one of our most successful programs.

NDTV: Air Chief Marshal, it has been a pleasure talking to you. Thank you very much for your time.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^Many many thanks for posting the above.
vishnu.nv
BRFite

Post by vishnu.nv »

he has given excellent reviews for LCA.... in fact after reading his remarks i can surely say IAF will be procuring more than 6-7 squadrons of LCA.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

awesome.. it is sure LCA will mature now.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

The important messsage is that its the complete system that matters and the IAF is concentrating on that.

A flashy aircraft here or a fabulous missile system there does not matter if the whole system in not well integreated.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

ACM Naik wrote:Now all the people who have flown this aircraft swear by it, it's a wonderful aircraft.
I was very happy to hear this quote on LCA from the ACM!
Parakram
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Parakram »

One suggestion, why not do this.
I can listen and sense from this NDTV interview, PV Naik is a great asset to India. Lets make him HAL chief for next 5 years.

Well nothing goes bad in trying .He has vision and also he is so much clear in his thoughts.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

NRao wrote:Indian Air Force undergoing major transformation: Air Chief to NDTV
Jaguar re-engineering, that is another major project for which a new RFP has been issued now.
So no honeywell deal through FMS.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Parakram wrote:One suggestion, why not do this.
I can listen and sense from this NDTV interview, PV Naik is a great asset to India. Lets make him HAL chief for next 5 years.

Well nothing goes bad in trying .He has vision and also he is so much clear in his thoughts.
Please saar - this is the Nehru-Indira-Rajiv-Sonia-Rahul mentality where we are not confident that anyone new will be abe to take up the mantle of leadership. It only means we are not creating leaders and are better off as a colony or a series of Pakistans. Let us stop this OT stuff right off
Last edited by shiv on 26 Jun 2011 06:31, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

indranilroy wrote: So no honeywell deal through FMS.
Why would the Jaguar need re engineering if it is getting no new engine? I thought the Honeywell engine could not be dropped in like the Rolls Royce engine.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

I think "re-engineering" should be "re-engine".

But, I cannot explain the FMS vs. "new RFP" status. A June 13 interview with Naik he states that it is FMS - single vendor. I doubt it could have changed in some 13 days.

Honeywell: Drop-fit
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

IAF to Increase Level of its Force in Andaman and Nicobar
New Delhi: In the backdrop of increasing Chinese activities in the Bay of Bengal and Indian Ocean region, the Indian Air Force is planning to increase the level of its forces in the Andaman and Nicobar islands.

`Of course, we are but in a planned manner. It`s not immediately over a next two or three plans we have to build up Andaman and Nicobar islands,` IAF Chief Air Chief marshal P V Naik told reporters here.

The IAF chief was responding to queries about the need to build up its assets in the island territory in view of the activities of other forces there.

The IAF has in the recent past operated its frontline SU-30MKI air superiority aircraft from its bases in Car Nicobar islands.

Reports in the past have suggested that the Chinese Navy has been active close to the Coco Islands in Myanmar and has been operating there.

To strengthen its defences, India has already set up a tri-services command under a three-star officer in the region close to the South East Asian countries.

IAF has been strengthening its presence in the South to protect the country`s interests in the Indian Ocean Region.

With the induction of force multipliers such as the mid-air refuellers, the Air Force has expanded its strategic reach and is capable of carrying out long range operations.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

One comment on that extended interview: there was no mention on UAVs and only a passing note on network centric efforts. I would think that UAVs are in the same class as FGFA, if not more.

Also, we can put that silly light 5th gen talk to bed it looks like.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Two videos - each company states its case.
Rolls Royce engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQkeYPrP_S

Honeywell F125
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ducyJoMjUA

Reading between the lines it appears that the thrust that the F125 provides will require airframe modification judging from the Rolls Royce comment that the RR engine thrust falls within the airframe limitation.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

NRao wrote:I think "re-engineering" should be "re-engine".

But, I cannot explain the FMS vs. "new RFP" status. A June 13 interview with Naik he states that it is FMS - single vendor. I doubt it could have changed in some 13 days.

Honeywell: Drop-fit
Yes of course it is re-engining ... I was quoting from the text, hence I didn't change anything.

Even, I was surprised to see the RFP part. I hope we go with the FMS and be done with it.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

shiv wrote:Reading between the lines it appears that the thrust that the F125 provides will require airframe modification judging from the Rolls Royce comment that the RR engine thrust falls within the airframe limitation.
I read an interview with RR folks which mentioned that F125 entitles change in Jags CG and they need to balance that out adding dead weight in other areas of aircraft , so a high thrust engine does some what get negated by adding ballast to compensate for CG , the RR engine though of less thrust does not need any airframe modification , so a lower thrust engine compared to honeywell still gives much better performance then existing engine of Jags.

I think IAF should just stick to the OEM engine and just use the competitor as a bargain for cost, life is much simpler with that and they should just stop making simple things look complicated.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Austin wrote:
shiv wrote:Reading between the lines it appears that the thrust that the F125 provides will require airframe modification judging from the Rolls Royce comment that the RR engine thrust falls within the airframe limitation.
I read an interview with RR folks which mentioned that F125 entitles change in Jags CG and they need to balance that out adding dead weight in other areas of aircraft , so a high thrust engine does some what get negated by adding ballast to compensate for CG , the RR engine though of less thrust does not need any airframe modification , so a lower thrust engine compared to honeywell still gives much better performance then existing engine of Jags.

I think IAF should just stick to the OEM engine and just use the competitor as a bargain for cost, life is much simpler with that and they should just stop making simple things look complicated.
I like what the F125 seems to offer. In retrospect - I recall going to the Honeywell stall at Aero India which had the F125 displayed prominently. I asked for news and the man literally rubbed his hands (as if in glee) and said with a smile "We don't know yet but we are very hopeful"