Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): Oct. 20, 2010

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Re: Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): Oct. 20, 2

Post by pgbhat »

^ Pah !! Bakis have gone back to low intensity genocide..... we need purification faster.

Meanwhile in Texas, Mushy shoots off.
Chindu reports.
Speaking at the Asia Society's Texas Centre on Saturday, Gen. Musharraf observed that in India, extremism among Muslim youth was on the rise and developing excessively.

“We need to adopt a holistic approach and neutralise the situation without breaking links with Indian Muslims,” he said.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

:(( bhen was last time a century scored in a demontration of the IEDlogy of Pakistan. Those days have becoem a distant memory for me. Apealing all the "explosive" batsmen. Please score 100s
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Pratyush wrote::(( bhen was last time a century scored in a demontration of the IEDlogy of Pakistan. Those days have becoem a distant memory for me. Apealing all the "explosive" batsmen. Please score 100s
Pratyush, just a little patience please. We now know that 23 terrorists have entered Punjab & Sind recently. Let them settle down for a few days before starting the fireworks. Even explosive batsmen watch a few balls before launching an onslaught. All in good time.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

I have been patient for the last 6 weeks. I have almost forgotten what it feels to see a century being scored. Please understand, this jingo is facing withdrawl symptoms olnee. So kindly adjust onlee
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

CRamS wrote:
abhishek_sharma wrote:Mediators for talks with Pak

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Mediators ... 17038.aspx
As humiliating as it is, India begging to talk to the TSP puppet separatist scum, and acknowledging the need to accomodate TSP, neverthless, as long as nothing is given away, its better than stone-pelting & shooting. This tri-partite crap gets me worried. Going from past experience, MMS's goal is joint love-making. To his "South Asian" mindset, there is nothing better. And believe me, this is what those WKK clowns will recommend. Now, the optimist in me hopes that the chai biskoot session with the KMs will go on for a while and wears down the separatist pigs. Of course, the wild card is that at some point when TSP percieves that they are loosing ground, they will up the ante.
God forgive me for saying this, but at some point, as the appeasement of Pakis and Kashpakis proceeds, Pakis are more than likely to get the tactically brilliant urge to either push the envelope to demand something outrageous (like instant shariat law in Delhi or something), or just test how far India will go by launching another attack, just to teach India that it has to take it lying down, because, well Pakis are TFTA and it is their right. At that point, hopefully appeasement-gippeasement will go away, talks will stall, and we will be back to where we were in Jan 2009. This scenario is India's best hope, since there is no hope from the DIE for a principled and calculated defense of our existence and nationhood.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Usual display of paki technique of pointing a gun to one's own head.
http://www.geo.tv/10-25-2010/73353.htm
LAHORE: Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has urged the international community to fulfill their commitment of helping the flood victims otherwise the affectees might turn towards extremism.

He was talking to the visiting UK Home Secretary Theresa May who called on him today.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Pratyush wrote:I have been patient for the last 6 weeks. I have almost forgotten what it feels to see a century being scored. Please understand, this jingo is facing withdrawl symptoms olnee. So kindly adjust onlee
Pratyush ji.You will have to be patient.Not every batsman will be like Baitullah Mehsud.Now that was some player.But he has been bowled out.Hopefully we will see his replacement soon(in terms of explosive batting potential).The new batsman Hakeemullah is not a match on Baitullah atleast for now.It's been a long time and he is still playing in the test mode instead of giving a T20 performance.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Pakistan surges ahead:
Pakistan racing to become No 1 most corrupt country
ISLAMABAD: Corruption in Pakistan has attained new heights in 2010, as the country under the Zardari-Gilani duo, is said to have surpassed several other badly corrupt nations of 2009, it has been learnt.
A serious charge sheet of corruption against Pakistan is all set to be released by the Transparency International on Tuesday (October 26).
Sources in the World Bank (WB) and Asian Development Bank (ADB), which contribute to the preparation of the Transparency International report, told The News that corruption in Pakistan had massively increased during the last 12 months. “You will soon be hearing really bad news about Pakistan,” a source warned, disclosing that as against last year when Pakistan had slipped five ranks from the 47th most corrupt country in 2008 to 42nd, the 2010 scenario was much worse.
The sources said Pakistan’s downslide amongst the most corrupt nations was deeply depressing. “It seems the country (Pakistan) is fast racing to become number one on the list of the most corrupt nations,” a source commented...
And look at the kind of illustrious company that Pakistan keeps these days, truly TFTA
Pakistan, on the other hand, scored the lowest — 34th or 35th in five of the variables and 32nd or 33rd in three of the other four. In ‘order and security’, which dealt with the absence of crime and violence, it ranked 24th, higher than, among others, most of the Latin American and Sub-Saharan African countries covered in the survey.
Kenya, which though scored poorly in the survey, did best with respect to criminal justice, where it ranked 25th, ahead of most of the Latin American countries, Pakistan, Liberia and Nigeria.
AoA
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Governor Sindh ready to resign: sources
KARACHI: Governor Sindh Dr Ishratul Ibad Khan has got his resignation ready and is expected to give it to President Asif Ali Zardari, Geo News reported Sunday.

President Asif Ali Zardari has called Governor Sindh Dr Ishratul Ibad Khan to mull over the recent spate of target killings and the resultant situation in the city.

The sources said the Sindh Governor is expected to tender his resignation to the president Zardari in a do-or-die meeting. {Everything in la la land is do-or-die these days. My my aren't they a proud quam?}
The meetings of MQM’s Rabta Committee are simultaneously underway in London and Karachi to mull over the violent situation in Karachi, which has left at least 25 people in a matter of only 24 hours.
The sources stressed the government in concert with the Awami National Party (ANP) is involved in exacerbating the situation in the city.
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

Three killed in blast in Orakzai

ORAKZAI: Three people were killed while two other were injured in a blast in the Orakzai Agency on Monday morning.
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

Acharya wrote:
Rahul M wrote:
although not directed at me, I haven't seen anything about ombaba's visit in the media so far.
TV or the editorial will be preparing the media industry how to project the image. Keep a watch on them and find out what is the instructions to the media desk.
CNN IBN has started
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The other thing is that there won't be a spectacular terror attack on the rest of India until a few months after Ombaba's visit.

But the likelyhood of a big terror strike, faked massacre video alleged to be Indian army in the Valley of kashmir is very very high.

A terror strike against India will happen when ombaba is back home after his visit to India, and he tightens the screws on pakistan to go into N waziristan to kill some talibs and haqqani's kids. THEN pakistan will launch another major terror strike against India surely.

And I can bet that India won't respond militarily even then.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Err, cross posting this from the economic thread for the paklurkers to go through.
Coal India IPO fetches mind boggling 235L crore
SureshP wrote:Coal India IPO, fetches mind-boggling 2.36L crore
Partha Sinha, TNN, Oct 22, 2010, 12.37am IST

MUMBAI: The Indian capital market turned black into gold this week. The initial public offer of Coal India was set to be the largest in Indian history from the moment it opened on Monday, but even the biggest bulls in the ring were left stunned by the money it mined by the time it closed on Thursday: a mobilization of Rs 2.36 lakh crore, over 15 times the target of Rs 15,500 crore.
It can be a little hard to get one's head around all the zeroes in a figure like Rs 2.36 lakh crore (or $53 billion). So here's some perspective. The amount of money that flowed into the offering by the `black diamond' in just four days is more than last year's GDP of about 140 countries. Nearer home, it is more than the GDP of Sri Lanka ($42 billion) and four times that of Nepal ($12.5 billion), according to data on the World Bank's website.
And that was India's largest IPO.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

X-Posting from the Headley thread.
SSridhar wrote:
Rangudu wrote:Of course, thanks to his exposure to TSPian perfidies, Bearak later wrote the famous piece for NYT magazine titled "Pakistan is"
Rangudu, thanks for pointer to that fine piece of writing by Barry Bearak. I have now included that in the 'Essential Reading' list of TSP thread under the 'Understanding Pakistan' section.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Pathetic display of Arab-wahabi-TFTAness :(( :(( :((

BBC report this morning has a Paki saying the Sufi version of Islam too has two schools, one of them being a good match to Taliban. Can they stand up and fight for Sufi-Islam please?
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

Gagan wrote:And I can bet that India won't respond militarily even then
I wouldnt be sure about that.US dollar needs a big boost. The dollar index is already very low. It needs a big deal which would boost confidence in US Dollar. A war would bring such dollars but this time from some country who has lot to give than Iran and Afghanistan but with less headaches. All this while trying to stifle the Asian growth.
If a War breaks out between India and Pakistan, America would be the biggest benefactor. With Pakistan suffering heavy losses,American companies would start re-building everything just like Iraq. India on the other hand would be buying all the weapons it can lay hands on,including American. What stops America in letting Pakistan be toasted in return for India to award multi billion dollar projects to them?. In the meanwhile US gets nation building multi-billion dollar projects in Pakistan.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

A terror strike against India will happen when ombaba is back home after his visit to India, and he tightens the screws on pakistan to go into N waziristan to kill some talibs and haqqani's kids. THEN pakistan will launch another major terror strike against India surely.

And I can bet that India won't respond militarily even then.
Isn't the stratergy/chankian-ness behind the inaction after the next big dhamaka in Desh already ready?
Its because it would deflect attention from Waziristan ops and so its better to take a few thappads in search of the "bigger picture" :-? :-? :roll:
Brad Goodman
BRF Oldie

Post by Brad Goodman »

..Invasion of Pakistan imminent, says Katter
THE US will invade Pakistan to deal with instability and Australia must send troops there, too, says independent MP Bob Katter.
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

Brad Goodman wrote:..Invasion of Pakistan imminent, says Katter
THE US will invade Pakistan to deal with instability and Australia must send troops there, too, says independent MP Bob Katter.
Will the Aussie troops be the good taliban or the bad taliban?
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

‘Pakistan must shed its ambivalence on terror'

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article849109.ece
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Gagan wrote:Err, cross posting this from the economic thread for the paklurkers to go through.
Coal India IPO fetches mind boggling 235L crore
SureshP wrote:Coal India IPO, fetches mind-boggling 2.36L crore
Partha Sinha, TNN, Oct 22, 2010, 12.37am IST

MUMBAI: The Indian capital market turned black into gold this week. The initial public offer of Coal India was set to be the largest in Indian history from the moment it opened on Monday, but even the biggest bulls in the ring were left stunned by the money it mined by the time it closed on Thursday: a mobilization of Rs 2.36 lakh crore, over 15 times the target of Rs 15,500 crore.
It can be a little hard to get one's head around all the zeroes in a figure like Rs 2.36 lakh crore (or $53 billion). So here's some perspective. The amount of money that flowed into the offering by the `black diamond' in just four days is more than last year's GDP of about 140 countries. Nearer home, it is more than the GDP of Sri Lanka ($42 billion) and four times that of Nepal ($12.5 billion), according to data on the World Bank's website.
And that was India's largest IPO.
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the proceeds from the IPO were $3.6 billion. The total demand was $53 billion. IIUC, they did not increase the offering size so everyone presumably got pro-rated if they were in the price band.

The WSJ talks of a $3.6 bn figure for proceeds whereas, ToIlet goes off the rails and confuses proceeds with demand and suggests that Coal India raised $53 billion.
Sen_K
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sen_K »

Seven million people still need emergency shelter in Pakistan after floods, UN says
The UN says it needs $2 billion (£1.27 billion) in aid to help protect some 20 million people affected by Pakistan's worst ever natural disaster, but has so far received only a little more than a third of the total.
Seems TSP has left the responsibility of begging for poor Pakis to the UN. Begging only for militaree and stratojic purpojej.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

abhishek_sharma wrote:‘Pakistan must shed its ambivalence on terror'

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article849109.ece
I don't think there is any ambivalence in the pakistani leaders' minds about using terrorism as state policy. They are clear, that using terrorism needles India, that is what China and some other benefactors wanted, and that is what will keep India as a hostile nation.
All of this needed to keep the Pakistani military junta indispensable in Pakistan.
I think that it is the news reporters who are ambivalent in calling a spade a spade, otherwise they would be referring to pakistan in the same glowing words as this thread is named.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Brad Goodman wrote:..Invasion of Pakistan imminent, says Katter
Pakistan is already under invasion in every sense of the word.

The CIA is conducting drone strikes in areas difficult to reach for special forces, the areas that are deeper inside the border, and are well protected by a ring of taliban. There is 24x7 surveillence using drones, satellites, operatives on the ground. Telephones (mobile, land line, satellite phones) within Pakistan are tapped 24x7 with the NSA computers sniffing for certain keywords.
General Petraeus who specializes in special forces action is running the show. Special forces are deployed within Pakistan, they regularly conduct operations, assassinate Jihadis, kidnap the bad guys, supply info and materials to their operatives on the ground. There are even some afghan special forces deployed within Pakistan who can mix easily with the local pashtuns and carry out their job.
The USAF is conducting airstrikes within pakistan, Nato helicoptors supported by attack helos fly close to the border regions, the attack helos even attacked a few border outpost (which the pakistanis objected to) One supposes that it would have been OK if the helos had flown by and not attacked the army regulars.

I suppose the only thing that remains is for a couple of aircraft carriers to steam up the Sutlej into Lahore to complete the picture. :twisted:
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Toilet was off the rails when Padgaonkar was Editor in Chief. Padgaonkar types are complete hollow, shallow...and will be remembered as such when History is written in truth. Padgaonkar was the one that did the India superpower jig..that disgusted many of us. He is a panderer Class 1 act. Nothing more to him, shallow fcuking human being. No value at all. Suhel Seth, A Roy, B Dutt all belong to the same genre. I have somehow more faith in Vir Sanghvi of HT. Padgaonkar is however bottom of the shelf when it comes to analytical chopping of issues based on truth. He is just one of those Doon or Sanawar school types who'd love Gora company at a cocktail he'd organize and get nuggets of what they think and hope us SDREs toe that line. The disgust these libs have is against us SDREs..not against the Shabir Shahs of the Valley.

When DP did his India superpower jig on Toilet, Western press concluded it was India right wing Hindu nationalists that were doing so. Little realizing that Indian libs were behind that campaign. DP and AR are appeasers. Not seekers of Truth.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Mahendra wrote: Will the Aussie troops be the good taliban or the bad taliban?
definitely good-taliban. They were born to the same ba*tard parents as Pakistan and good-taliban.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.businessrecorder.com/latest/ ... ecast.html
SBP lowers FY 10/11 GDP growth forecast
Senile Bewaloofs of Pakistan (SBP) on Monday lowered its gross domestic product growth forecast to be between 2 percent and 3 percent for the 2010/11 fiscal year (July-June), following the devastating floods in August.Before the floods, the government's target was 4.5 percent.‘The macroeconomic framework embedded in the FY11 Annual Development Program targets have suffered a serious setback early into the year as large areas of the country were devastated by widespread rains and unprecedented floods,’ said the SBP in its annual report.The floods caused $9.7 billion in damages, the central bank said, and its ‘repercussions will continue to stress the economy for many years.’The SBP forecast fiscal deficit for the year ending June 30 to be between 5 percent and 6 percent, compared with the government's original target of 4 percent.
(My prediction is Indian economy 30-32 times the size of Poaknomoney in ten years)
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.businessrecorder.com/news/co ... -ways.html

Indian role appears more instrumental in impacting cotton market both ways
SoAm AZZ-IZ SHAH
KARACHI (October 25, 2010) : Reacting on lower cotton arrivals by 17.33 percent at 4.173 million local weight bales on 15th October, 2010 against 5.048 million bales same period last year, renewed cotton buying interests and strictly following NY cotton Futures step by step, lint prices in local market reached all time-high of Rs 8,000 per 37.324 Kg ex-gin against rate of Rs 3,700-3,750 same period last year.
It means, this season's ruling lint prices have increased by 115 percent and seed-cotton prices by 95 percent over last year prices. As up to 1st October, 2010, seed-cotton arrivals were short of 15 percent over last season's arrivals of same period. This season, cotton crop appears late by 2 to 3 weeks from last season and it has contributed to short cotton arrivals.
Field reports from Punjab indicate wide spread opening of cotton bolls over most of the cotton areas which indicate towards increase of arrivals in second fortnight of this month and first fortnight of next month.
Still field reports indicate towards crop size of 11.5-12.0 million bales. In view of almost straight rise in cotton prices, growers / suppliers are holding up seed-cotton deliveries in hope of even better prices. This season, growers are getting much better prices over last season's prices of their cotton proceeds while their production cost has not increased proportionately. Thus, cotton growers are benefited more than any other stakeholder. As such, this season flow of money will be diverted from ginners, spinners and exporters to growers/farmers.

Rabba Rabba Meenh Barsa, Poalkand wich phir flood leeeya
Naa ugge Wheat ,na ugge Cotton,
Khaan eh sarre Ghaa hi Ghaa .
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

Individuals such as Aafia Siddiqui and Faisal Shahzad are an exception to the rule. Faisal Shahzad may believe he knows what awaits him when he enters paradise, but the benefits due to women in that abode of boundless plenty remain unclear. I have discussed this with many ulema, but never got a satisfactory answer. Perhaps someone can elaborate it for us in a Daily Times op-ed.
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.as ... 2010_pg3_2
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Cosmo_R wrote: The WSJ talks of a $3.6 bn figure for proceeds whereas, ToIlet goes off the rails and confuses proceeds with demand and suggests that Coal India raised $53 billion.

No in fact the money was raised because the money has to be set aside, reserved. Most of that money will be returned - but it is now out of circulation, pending delivery of shares to a small percentage of people who invested. That tells the market a story.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://news.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/da ... sits-zj-02
Indian arms race offers prizes for presidential visits
US gives India access to Mumbai attack planner NEW DELHI: Arms-hungry India is expected to hand out a raft of military deals worth billions of dollars during an upcoming rush of presidential visits from the United States, France and Russia. The biggest-ticket item is the scheduled signing of an estimated 30 billion-dollar stealth fighter co-production agreement when Russian President Dmitry Medvedev visits in late December.Medvedev’s trip will follow those of President Barack Obama and President Nicolas Sarkozy, both of whom will be pushing existing US and French tenders for lucrative military contracts.Fuelling India’s drive into the international arms market are growing concerns over China’s military strength and its expanding sphere of regional influence.“China would like to have a foothold in South Asia and we have to reflect on this reality,” Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh warned in September.
“There is a new assertiveness among the Chinese. It is difficult to tell which way it will go. So it’s important to be prepared,” Singh said.India and China fought a brief but bloody war in 1962 and border disputes remain unresolved despite many rounds of talks and improved economic ties.“China is becoming more of an issue in India,” said Siemon Wezeman, analyst from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.“The word ‘threat’ is now repeatedly used when officials talk about China, and Indian military strength along the disputed India-China border has been significantly increased, as has that of the Indian navy,” Wezeman told AFP.
The staggered visits by the presidents of three top military powers come as India’s defence sector is about to embark on what global consultancy firm KPMG described as “one of the largest procurement cycles in the world.”Between now and 2016, India is expected to spend 112 billion dollars on capital defence acquisitions, which will in turn create opportunities for domestic industry worth 30 billion dollars, KPMG said in a report published last week.These visits are driven by the opportunity of profiteering,” said Alex Neill, an analyst with Britain’s Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) think-tank.“There is a global financial depression and the US and Russian interests in selling to the Indian military sector are driven by the commercial opportunity available,” Neill said.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Some parts of this very important interview are relevant here.

Shekhar Gupta: The earlier jihad, good jihad, if I may say so.

Dr K Subrahmanyam: And the jihadism has blown up on them (meaning the US). For 30 years, they helped China become the factory of the world and China’s advance today is now challenging the US. And therefore, to a considerable extent, the US has turned itself against the mistakes it had perpetrated. And so far as we were concerned, we always admired the US and from the very beginning, Nehru went and addressed the US Congress, in which he pledged that if freedom was in peril and endangered, India will not stay neutral. And therefore, we didn’t have any problem in becoming friendly with the US.
Shekhar Gupta: But could we have nuanced our earlier Afghanistan policy better? In the ‘70s and the ‘80s?

Dr K Subrahmanyam: No, we tried our best. After all, when the Soviets moved into Afghanistan, which was a result of the provocation by the Pakistanis and the Americans, Indira Gandhi sent special envoys to Zia-ul-Haq—Swaran Singh went there, then Narasimha Rao went there. We tried our best to reassure the Pakistanis. But they weren’t looking for reassurance. They wanted to become a nuclear weapon power, which is the price the Americans had to pay in order to get Pakistani support. They had to look away from the Chinese arm in that. And once the Pakistanis got nuclear weapons, they didn’t want to just drop it on anybody, which is what the western strategists talk about. The Pakistanis got the derivative of nuclear weapons, which was terrorism. And they are using the derivative terrorism not only against US but against the US, UK and Europe.

Shekhar Gupta: Using the backup power of nuclear weapons?

Dr K Subrahmanyam: Deterrent power gets them the shield. And therefore, they are able to use terrorism as an instrument of state policy.
Shekhar Gupta: Now my second question, again looking ahead. You say Pakistan has been successful so far. Where do you see Pakistan with this strategy, five years or ten years from now?

Dr K Subrahmanyam: They’re playing with a venomous snake. And there is no doubt about it that one of these days, the snake is going to bite them. And the Pakistanis are going to pay a high price, when the various jihadi organisations are going to turn on the Pakistani state and the Pakistani army. One of them has already—the Pakistani Taliban. But it is only a question of time when others also do.
Of course what K Subrahmanyam Sir says is nothing new on this thread. But it's nice to see it being articulated in a mainstream paper by someone of his stature. Hopefully people will sit up an read.

OT but I'd like to add another interesting snippet here:
Shekhar Gupta: My third and last question. If you read accounts of Nehru’s conversations with Eisenhower, in one of those, Eisenhower is very worried about what the Chinese are doing in Korea...the Chinese have taken prisoners and he’s very angry about that. And Nehru makes a very interesting and prescient statement—he tells him not to be neurotic about communism. He says that the seeds of destruction lie within the ideology of communism. But for Nehru to say that in the early ‘50s was prescient.

Dr K Subrahmanyam: In a sense, Nehru was prescient. Nehru started cultivating the Soviet Union mainly because even in the early ‘50s, he saw that the Soviet Union and China will not get along with each other and therefore, if we have to have security vis-a-vis China, we had to cultivate the Soviet Union.

Shekhar Gupta: So Nehru was not an ideological fool?

Dr K Subrahmanyam: Nehru was perhaps one of the most pragmatic and realist politicians.
shynee
BRFite

Post by shynee »

Hawaii man charged in international terrorism case
HONOLULU: A Hawaii man accused of traveling to Pakistan in a failed effort to join the Taliban or similar group has been arrested.

Abdel Hameed Shehadeh, 21, was charged with making false statements in a matter involving international terrorism, according to a criminal complaint unsealed Monday in the Eastern District of New York. If convicted, Shehadeh would face a maximum sentence of eight years imprisonment.

According to the complaint, Shehadeh, a US citizen, lived on Staten Island, New York, in early 2008 when he devised a plan to travel to Pakistan to join the Taliban or a similar fighting group.
R Vaidya
BRFite

Post by R Vaidya »

Since it has Pakistan angle posted here--

http://www.dnaindia.com/opinion/comment ... 4#comments

Mr Obama, do you have real business to talk with us?
DNA / R Vaidyanathan / Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:10 IST
The next two weeks will be full of atmospherics and inanities linked to the visit of US president Barack Obama. Indians are known to derive satisfaction from symbolism rather than substance. When Diwali was supposedly celebrated by George Bush’s White House — a celebration in which the US president did not participate — we went into raptures. When Rajan Zed of Nevada was called to chant Vedic hymns at a Congressional opening, we were ecstatic. Similarly, when Obama visits India next month, we will drool over Michelle buying Kanjeevaram sarees or Obama savouring a paratha at a Delhi dhaba — or some such meaningless events. There is a move to take Michelle to the Red Light areas of Mumbai to get a feel of “inclusive” growth. Imagine Gursharan Kaur being paraded in Soho in London as part of her itinerary. Sikhs are pleading with Obama to visit the Golden Temple, even if he merely wears a baseball cap to cover his head.
This is how we barter away our self-respect, even as our civil aviation minister Praful Patel is charged a hefty free (£480) for using the lounge at Heathrow airport. Our high commissioner in London had to hurriedly pay for it. In India, even head clerks and deputy assistant undersecretaries of the Anglo-Saxon establishments command red carpet treatment and free VVIP lounges at airports. When Obama arrives, he is going to come as a wounded tiger from a declining empire. His party of change would, by then, have lost its last dime in the Congressional elections to be held on November 2. He could well end up as a one-term president. When American presidents are hurt at home, they try to show off abroad. Nixon made his China trip when his fortunes were going downhill back home. Clinton did mischief in J&K and Bush in Iraq.
Democratic presidents come across as more sanctimonious humbugs and self-righteous compared to Republicans. The latter just bother about business; the former want to be seen as backing causes like human rights — as long as it is done abroad.What should our agenda be with Obama? First, we should ask him to remove every Indian entity which is on the banned export list of the US. Second, if he even mentions Kashmir, we should request him to carry on to Indonesia — his next stop. We should recognise Bangladesh as the successor country to a united Pakistan because of its size and the number of members in it had in parliament before the break-up. If at all anyone has a say in Kashmir, Bangladesh as the successor entity has a more legitimate case, Obama should be told.
Third, we should insist on the need to split Pakistan into many more countries in the interests of world peace. Pakistan’s army is the world’s terror central and a constant threat to world peace. The David Headley saga reveals that US intelligence and enforcement agencies such as the FBI, CIA and DEA have been infiltrated and compromised by the Pakistani ISI and its creations like the LeT. The billions given to appease Pakistan will not help world peace and it will only increase global terror. Hillary Clinton says her heart is in Pakistan and one wishes her a hale and healthy heart. We should remember that her husband, through Robin Raphael, was instrumental in creating the Hurriyat in the Kashmir Valley.
The fourth point is that India should not bother with the talk-shop called the UN Security Council. It has lost its purpose and role. It helps some Indian government bureaucrats to have untaxed pensions. The only important member is China and we can deal with it directly. Becoming a permanent member of the UNSC is not exactly a big payoff for us. Many UN agencies are a joke. What is one to make of the fact that Saudi Arabia and Libya are on the human rights panels, and Pakistan is heading the International Atomic Energy Agency (no doubt, by rotation), after proliferating nuclear weapons and sponsoring terror.
The fifth point we need to tell Obama is that India will not look at China through the US’s lenses. We will deal with China on our terms. We have no need to play sidekick to the US when it deals with China. A British political leader during World War II is reported to have said that Britain would fight the Germans to the last Indian. We do not want to be in the same situation with regard to US-China conflicts.The sixth point is that any enlarged scope for US companies to do business in India should be linked to India getting unrestricted access to the US markets for onshore and offshore software services, including visas for our professionals. Every additional Coke bottle consumed in India or insurance policy sold should be dependent on how the US puts Pakistan on leash. We need to unashamedly and unequivocally link commerce with US pressure on Pakistan on terrorism.
Declining empires do listen to rising powers if they want market access. We need to ask Obama to address our real concerns instead of getting carried away with all the soft praise he may shower on us. We have to grow up.
URL of the article: http://www.dnaindia.com/opinion/comment ... 457914-all
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

R Vaidya wrote:Second, if he even mentions Kashmir, we should request him to carry on to Indonesia — his next stop. We should recognise Bangladesh as the successor country to a united Pakistan because of its size and the number of members in it had in parliament before the break-up. If at all anyone has a say in Kashmir, Bangladesh as the successor entity has a more legitimate case, Obama should be told.

http://www.dnaindia.com/opinion/comment ... 457914-all
R Vaidya ji,
I appreciate your inclusion of the above point in your timely article.

I too think there is a good argument in favor of trying this course of action.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Red-faced by Tharoor Saudi mediation gaffe, Cong mum
Minister of state for External Affairs, Shashi Tharoor, finds himself isolated in the Congress party after he kicked up another controversy with his remarks that Saudis can be valuable interlocuters between India and Pakistan.

Sources in the Congress say the party has been told to keep a distance from Tharoor. Sources say the party is feeling deeply embarrassed by the statements and doesn't want to be seen defending him. In fact, the party sources say it wants to wash its hands off Tharoor despite his explanation.

These guys need to be vaccinated for foot-in-mouth disease
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Interesting interview with KS.Very prescient.What the US now has to squarely face upto is that Pak is the "enemy".Pak is out of control and the forces that are in control (ISI) are actually out of control.See how they organised the "hit" on dozens of NATO tankers after a few of their uniformed tribe got it in the backside from US UCAVs.They need to be dealt with if the US is to save lioves of its own troops and its face.The US must now up the ante and start using B-52s in Af-Pak,not drones.The flattening of a "Taliban village" will be a signal gesture that the scale of action against the ungodly will take place unless the ISI behaves.Rolling B-52 air strikes from Diego Garcia might very well do the trick.Drone attacks are mere pinpricks.Given the Wikileaks,it is astonishing that the US has not gome in for heavier attacks despite all its intel capability which show where the Taliban and associated terror groups are squatting.

PS:Tharoor is actually quite right.The Saudis are bankrolling the Paki state,they offer refuge to disgraced Paki leaders,giving them enough time to get "rehabilitated" and very often when faced with a crisis,the Pakis run to their spiritual and moneterial masters! The Saudis also want good relations with India and cannot afford to antagonise India,as they also want powerful friends in the neighbourhood as they view Iran as a threat.However,any Saudi effort at mediation will inevitably be covert which is a good thing,unlike western efforts which are ususally overt and full of pomposity.Any failure using the Saudis will never be known either.The problem lies with our MEA which is ultra sensitive on some issues and a totally suibservient on others.The MEA has yet to develop Chanakyian skills whereby a holistic style of diplomacy is used to further Indian interests.If the Saudis can get the Pakis to reuce their perfidy with little cost to India,it will be a good thing.Having also invested so much money into pak,the Saudis would also be very worried if the Paki state disintegrates further and Saudi N-warheads held in trust by the Pakis are endangered!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

R Vaidya wrote:Since it has Pakistan angle posted here--

http://www.dnaindia.com/opinion/comment ... 4#comments

Excellent article sir. Excellent
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Philip wrote:PS:Tharoor is actually quite right.The Saudis are bankrolling the Paki state,they offer refuge to disgraced Paki leaders,giving them enough time to get "rehabilitated" and very often when faced with a crisis,the Pakis run to their spiritual and moneterial masters! The Saudis also want good relations with India and cannot afford to antagonise India,as they also want powerful friends in the neighbourhood as they view Iran as a threat. However,any Saudi effort at mediation will inevitably be covert which is a good thing,unlike western efforts which are ususally overt and full of pomposity. Any failure using the Saudis will never be known either.The problem lies with our MEA which is ultra sensitive on some issues and a totally suibservient on others.The MEA has yet to develop Chanakyian skills whereby a holistic style of diplomacy is used to further Indian interests. If the Saudis can get the Pakis to reduce their perfidy with little cost to India, it will be a good thing. Having also invested so much money into pak, the Saudis would also be very worried if the Paki state disintegrates further and Saudi N-warheads held in trust by the Pakis are endangered!
Perhaps India should help Iran with giving weaponry which cannot be used against Israel but certainly do Saudis harm, stuff like warships, etc.