China Military Watch - Jan 11, 2011

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
member_23694
BRFite

Re: China Military Watch - Jan 11, 2011

Post by member_23694 »

Is the GMR ouster from Maldive and the recent Sri Lankan satellite launch much more than what meet the eyes and
does India need to reset some of its policies for Indian Ocean countries to prevent increasing influence of China.
Just a thought , any opinion ?
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

This is for Ashi, Wong, Selamat and Don. From their Uncle Sam the Massa;

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/mil ... rchina.htm

I hope my fellow BRFites will excuse this OT but this should be labelled the China Military Entertainment and Humour Thread.

Enjoy. (hope it hasn't been posted before)

Since I have already crossed the line once, inot Cheeni territory, here is another one:

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/mil ... lblimp.htm
Boreas
BRFite

Post by Boreas »

What notice!! They have 10 carrier battle groups how many have you got? Afraid its a null pointer. Do you have any thing one fourth as capable as their Arleigh Burke class destroyer.. they have 62 of them.

A country (china) where people are posting pics all over net making dumb signs to celebrate first ever landing of a plane on ur carrier.. do you think that will make a country (US) with about a century of experience in making biggest and best flotillas in history of man worry? They have specifically used the words "Take Notice".. thats in my opinion a decent phrase for "is laughing on".

You can beat you chest all you want with minions like vietnam and phillipines.. unkil can kick your ass any day of week.. all weeks of year.

Same is my suggestion to your other cousins wong and don, whenever you fanboys start to have a feeling that you got too powerful visit this page - [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cu ... tates_Navy] read it from top to bottom. Pee in your pants, change your pant, drink some cold water and go back to your cave.
Don
BRFite

Post by Don »

Arun Menon wrote:^^Sure, thats why it sends jokers like you to spread the message. Well, gotta hand it to you. This thread had a decent level of analysis and discussion about China, but you and your friends have not only kicked out the self-hating Indians from this thread, but also turned it into the mock china thread. It is sad that there is no real discussion, but hey, its a great stress-reliever. Whenever I wanna have a laugh, I come here and see you making a fool of yourself. I have to say that you are giving all Chinese a good name. I used to think that the Chinese are a threat, but now I know they are a joke.
Don't you get it ? Thats the master plan. :wink: Lull you guys into complacentcy just like before in 1962 and its working. :rotfl:
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

Yes it is indeed. The thrashing of 67 must have been forgotten time for a refresher. Or maybe the impotency of 71 is still going strong. :rotfl: yellow fliends flom nolth.
Boreas
BRFite

Post by Boreas »

Don wrote:
Arun Menon wrote:^^Sure, thats why it sends jokers like you to spread the message. Well, gotta hand it to you. This thread had a decent level of analysis and discussion about China, but you and your friends have not only kicked out the self-hating Indians from this thread, but also turned it into the mock china thread. It is sad that there is no real discussion, but hey, its a great stress-reliever. Whenever I wanna have a laugh, I come here and see you making a fool of yourself. I have to say that you are giving all Chinese a good name. I used to think that the Chinese are a threat, but now I know they are a joke.
Don't you get it ? Thats the master plan. :wink: Lull you guys into complacentcy just like before in 1962 and its working. :rotfl:
not if I first Lull you guys into complacentcy just like before the time ur country was getting ready to be razed and raped by japanese in a slow.. prolonged manner. :mrgreen:
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

:rotfl: Don't give them nightmares. They still have cold sweat over nanking.
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

The level of postings by the chinese clowns shows that their pay has been reduced to 10 cents per post. So, they are ramping up their postcount by making a fool of themselves.
Last edited by Chinmayanand on 15 Dec 2012 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Don
BRFite

Post by Don »

Boreas wrote: not if I first Lull you guys into complacentcy just like before the time ur country was getting ready to be razed and raped by japanese in a slow.. prolonged manner. :mrgreen:
Nah Japanese can get things done. Indians can't, they just talk... :rotfl:
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

LOL Yes they did a very good job too no wonder china needed Inda to save their sorry asses from Japanese in WW-II. Must have been been pathetic having to run away from the 5 foot tall japanese soldiers. :rotfl:
Don
BRFite

Post by Don »

Bheeshma wrote:LOL Yes they did a very good job too no wonder china needed Inda to save their sorry asses from Japanese in WW-II. Must have been been pathetic having to run away from the 5 foot tall japanese soldiers. :rotfl:
Not as good and much as the British. They raped your country for how long ? Your former masters ? Suck your country dry did they ?
Boreas
BRFite

Post by Boreas »

Don wrote:
Boreas wrote: not if I first Lull you guys into complacentcy just like before the time ur country was getting ready to be razed and raped by japanese in a slow.. prolonged manner. :mrgreen:
I don't mind.. whether its japanese or unkil.. i will equally enjoy anybody smacking your tiny chini ass :mrgreen:
Boreas
BRFite

Post by Boreas »

Don wrote:
Bheeshma wrote:LOL Yes they did a very good job too no wonder china needed Inda to save their sorry asses from Japanese in WW-II. Must have been been pathetic having to run away from the 5 foot tall japanese soldiers. :rotfl:
Not as good and much as the British. They raped your country for how long ? Your former masters ? Suck your country dry did they ?
what does your best nuclear sub is capable of? is it even ten percent of what USN subs retiered in last dacade can do. You punks do mighty claims of being coming of age... Why compare only with puny countries in china sea! where do you stand in front of economies comparable to you??

Tell me what you got that can take things unkil have? List on lets have a debate.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Don wrote:Don't you get it ? Thats the master plan. :wink: Lull you guys into complacentcy just like before in 1962 and its working. :rotfl:
You're right, it's working. Please kick us out of Arunachal and South China Sea. You will sign the surrender treaty in Lhasa.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Don wrote:Nah Japanese can get things done. Indians can't, they just talk... :rotfl:
You're right. ONGC debating society session ongoing in South China Sea. Is your tin pot navy going to send a rusty fishing boat to join the debate?
kish
BRFite

Post by kish »

ashi wrote: Yeah with posters like you I am not surprise the quality of this board is "now pure funny shit".
Nah. Chinese can't talk about 'pure', talk about 'FAKE' funny shit. :lol: And they sell that to 'PAKIS'
Last edited by kish on 15 Dec 2012 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Don wrote:Not as good and much as the British. They raped your country for how long ? Your former masters ? Suck your country dry did they ?
Actually the Japanese treated the Chinese as sub-humans. The British were nasty, but in it for the money (remember the opium wars?). Now the Japanese, the British and the Indians are united against the CPC and PLA. Congratulations!
kish
BRFite

Post by kish »

Don wrote: Don't you get it ? Thats the master plan. :wink: Lull you guys into complacentcy just like before in 1962 and its working. :rotfl:
Saw the master plan in yesterday's new. 22 chinese children chopped by the chinese man.
kish
BRFite

Post by kish »

Don wrote:
We know that "Japanese can get things done" and chinese simply "FAKE IT". :rotfl:
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

^^ :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: . But really, I wonder how performance reviews for the funny drones are going to be. Instead of spreading the china schlong message, they made it into a china limp farce. Someone must be getting worried of termination.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

From Brahmos at land targets to Brahmos at sea targets; from one country to another; silence on USA, and so on and on - shifting is a good strategy for the Chinese.

Why not focus on military watch and say if Chinese are matching any by Chinese standards directly?
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Things went downhill on this thread after mention of Brahmos, Malacca, Middle East and oil. The utter vulnerability of the Chinese jugular is truly a very sore and frustrating point, as it should be. No amount of "my Dong Feng is bigger than yours" will change that anytime soon.
Don
BRFite

Post by Don »

Hehehehe...I love you guys. You guys always bite. :rotfl:

eklavya wrote:
Don wrote:Nah Japanese can get things done. Indians can't, they just talk... :rotfl:
You're right. ONGC debating society session ongoing in South China Sea. Is your tin pot navy going to send a rusty fishing boat to join the debate?

I told you Indians just talk big they have no bite. :rotfl: They can't even do a simple thing like drilling for oil. hahahhaha

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-new ... 45201.aspx

India one step back in South China Sea

Anupama Airy and Jayanth Jacob, Hindustan Times

New Delhi, April 24, 2012

State-owned ONGC is caught in the middle of a logjam preventing it from exiting a dry block in the disputed waters of the South China Sea.

The global arm of ONGC - ONGC Videsh Ltd (OVL) that has been carrying out exploration work in the deep-water offshore in the South China Sea has written to the petroleum ministry, expressing its intent to relinquish the block.

Reason: repeated attempts to drill wells in this block failed due to the hard seabed in the area.

But as these blocks are of strategic importance and as exploration by OVL led to a face-off between India and China last year - reported first by HT - New Delhi does not want ONGC to stage a "sudden exit" from the block at this stage.

"If ONGC moves out of Block 128, India may be seen as bowing to the pressures from Beijing that has been terming the exploration activities by India as 'illegal'," said a senior government official.

OVL has already moved out of another exploration block last year citing similar reasons.
Last edited by Don on 15 Dec 2012 18:13, edited 5 times in total.
Don
BRFite

Post by Don »

http://thediplomat.com/2012/11/01/u-s-n ... ipbuilder/
U.S. Navy Take Notice: China is Becoming a World-Class Military Shipbuilder

East AsiaRegionSecurityTopicChina
November 01, 2012

By Gabe Collins and Andrew Erickson

The engine of China's naval rise has flown under the radar - until now.

China’s military shipyards now are surpassing Western European, Japanese, and Korean military shipbuilders in terms of both the types and numbers of ships they can build. If Beijing prioritizes progress, China’s military shipbuilding technical capabilities can likely become as good as Russia’s are now by 2020 and will near current U.S. shipbuilding technical proficiency levels by 2030. China is now mass producing at least six classes of modern diesel-electric submarines and surface warships, including the new Type 052C “Luyang II” and Type 052D “Luyang III” destroyers now in series production.

Eight key themes, listed sequentially below, characterize China’s rise as a world-class military shipbuilder. For reference, the companies building the warships are China State Shipbuilding Corporation (“CSSC”) and China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation (“CSIC”).

1. China’s warship buildout thus far supports modernization and replacement, not rapid expansion

Over the past six years, China’s overall fleet of frontline combatants has expanded, but slowly, growing from 172 ships in 2005 to an estimated 221 vessels in 2012. However, the fleet has improved substantially in qualitative terms as newer ships and subs replace older ones. For instance, as Type 052 C/D Luyang-series destroyers, Type 054A Jiangkai II-series frigates, and Type 041 Yuan diesel-electric submarines have come into the fleet, they are allowing the People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) to steadily retire obsolete platforms like Luda destroyers and Ming submarines.

2. Chinese military shipbuilders are catching up to Russian and U.S. Yards

China’s large state-backed military shipbuilders are approaching their Russian and U.S. peers in terms of the number of warships built. China’s large submarine and surface warship buildout will, in a decade, likely have it become second only to the U.S. in terms of total warships produced since 1990. More importantly, the ramp-up of China’s construction of large warships in recent years will mean the PLA Navy will likely be taking delivery of larger numbers of modern surface combatants and submarines annually than the U.S. Navy.

Measured in terms of warships commissioned since 1990, China is now number three globally and is rapidly gaining on Russia, the number two country. Most of Russia’s post-1990 military ship deliveries simply reflected yards “finishing up” Soviet-era projects.

Chinese yards, in contrast, have come on strong over the past decade, with a big push in submarine construction that began in 2002-03 and a strong pipeline of surface warship deliveries that continues to gain steam to this very day. Chinese military shipyards—in particular the Changxing Island and Hudong Zhonghua yards near Shanghai—are humming with activity, and over the next 2-3 years, China is likely to commission enough large warships to put it second only to the U.S. in terms of large warships built and delivered since 1990.

3. China’s military shipbuilders are using modular mass production techniques

CSSC’s Jiangnan Shipyard is using modular construction methods to build Type 052-series destroyers. Modular construction involves building the ship in “blocks.” This maximizes a shipyard’s productive potential and also provides greater latitude for modifying designs and customizing ships. Modular construction also gives yards the flexibility to either build centers of expertise within the yard or outsource the production of certain components and then import them to the yard for final assembly.

CSSC’s Hudong Zhonghua shipyard also appears to be using modular construction techniques for the Type 071 LPD. The yard has now constructed four of the vessels, two of which are in service and two of which are in the trial/outfitting stage. They have also been able to fabricate the Type 071 hulls faster, with a time gap of nearly four years between the first and second vessels, but only 10 months between vessels two and three, and four months between vessels three and four.

4. China’s military shipyards appear to be sharing design and production information across company lines

Historically, CSIC built all Chinese submarines, but the current production run of Type 041 Yuan-class advanced diesel electric subs has seen at least two boats being built in CSSC’s Jiangnan yard. This suggests submarine construction expertise is growing outside of CSIC. However, there are no indications thus far that CSSC is doing submarine design work, which could mean that Beijing is making the companies and their design institutes share submarine design and construction information. Likewise, the new Type 056 corvette is being built in both CSSC and CSIC shipyards, suggesting that a standardized design and production approach is being shared by both companies.

5. China’s military shipbuilders will be able to indigenously build aircraft carriers

China’s first aircraft carrier, Liaoning, which entered service on September 25th of this year, started as an empty hull and gave CSIC valuable experience in effectively creating an aircraft carrier from the keel up. China has a total of seven shipyards with sufficiently large berths to assemble a carrier hull (three hundred meters or more), and the yards are basically equally dispersed between CSSC and CSIC. These yards are located in Dalian (CSIC), Qingdao (CSIC), Huludao (CSIC), Shanghai (CSSC), and Guangzhou (CSSC).

CSIC Bohai Shipbuilding Heavy Industry complex near Huludao (where China builds its nuclear submarines) is a top candidate due to its large, covered building sheds where carrier parts could be fabricated in modular fashion and out of the view of satellite surveillance. The company says it has the “largest indoor seven-step” ship construction facilities in China. This facility, together with CSSC’s large new Changxing Island yard, and CSIC’s Dalian yard—which fitted out the carrier Liaoning that just entered PLAN service—are the three leading candidates to build China’s indigenous carriers.

6. China will retain a military shipbuilding cost advantage

We project that for at least the next five years, Chinese shipbuilders will have a substantial labor cost advantage over their counterparts in South Korea, Japan, and the U.S. CSSC’s Jiangnan shipyard can likely deliver a Type 052C destroyer for 24% less than it costs Korea’s Hyundai heavy Industries to produce a KDX-III destroyer. Likewise, according to disclosures in the July 2011 issue of Shipborne Weapons, Wuchang shipyard can produce a late model diesel electric sub such as the Type 041 for roughly 47% less than it would cost South Korea’s DSME to make a Type 209 submarine. The lower labor cost in China likely serves as a core driver. This may help explain the larger Chinese cost advantage in building submarines, since advanced submarines can require substantially larger number of man-hours to build than surface ships do.

7. China’s neighbors feel increasingly compelled to augment their naval forces in response to Chinese warship production

South Korea has decided to expand its procurement of advanced diesel-electric submarines to include nine KSS-III 3,000-ton submarines by 2020 and nine 1,800-ton subs by 2018. This acquisition will basically double the size of the country’s current sub force and substantially enhance its capabilities, since the biggest boats in the fleet are currently 1,800-ton vessels. South Korea has also elected to double its Aegis destroyer purchases over the next decade.

Similarly, Vietnam’s maritime friction with China and fear of the PLAN’s growing power is making Hanoi into one of the Russian defense industry’s star customers. Vietnam has ordered six Kilo-class diesel submarines from Russia and is likely to take delivery of its first Kilo by the end of 2012. Hanoi is also adding advanced Russian anti-ship missiles and stealthy Gepard-class missile armed patrol boats to its naval force.

8. China now has the potential to become a significant exporter of diesel submarines and smaller surface warships

China’s shipbuilders are becoming increasingly competitive in terms of the ratio of cost to combat power they can deliver. For instance, the July 2011 issue of Shipborne Weapons reports that China will supply 6 potentially Air-Independent Propulsion (AIP)-equipped submarines to Pakistan for as little as 1/3 the unit price at which European shipyards would be able to supply comparable boats.

With the advent of the Type 041 Yuan-class diesel sub and Type 056 corvette, China now has two platforms for which it is already capable of series production and for which the unit costs are likely to drop significantly in coming years. The export version of Russia’s Steregushiy-class corvette, called Tigr, currently stands at around U.S. $150 million per vessel. As China’s Type 056 production run continues to expand, it would not be a surprise to eventually see the PLAN’s unit cost end up in the U.S. $110-120 million per vessel cost range, which would make the Type 056 a serious export competitor to the Tigr and other smaller Russian warships.

Conclusion

China’s naval shipbuilding industry has advanced to the point that it can series produce modern diesel submarines, landing platform docks (LPDs), destroyers, frigates, corvettes, and fast attack craft, albeit with some imported components for a number of key systems. The ongoing series production of Type 041 SSKs, Type 071 LPDs, Type 052 destroyers, and Type 056 corvettes strongly suggests that China’s military shipbuilders have rapidly assimilated commercial innovations such as modular construction.

Chinese naval shipbuilding faces several challenges moving forward. Most notably, six major questions remain:

1. Does Beijing have the political will to continue devoting substantial and growing resources to naval modernization?

2. Can China achieve requisite technical advances in weapons systems, propulsion, and military electronics?

3. Can China master the technologies needed to build nuclear submarines capable of surviving in a conflict with U.S. and Russian boats?

4. Can it build an aircraft carrier with catapults that would allow it to maximize the strike and air combat capabilities of the J-15 fighter it is likely to carry?

5. Will the Chinese leadership be willing to invest political and financial capital in establishing intensive and realistic training for the PLAN and provide diplomatic support for establishment of sustained access to facilities in key areas such as the Indian Ocean region?

6. Will continued weakness in the global ship market prompt Beijing to capitalize on the availability of shipyard space to further increase the pace of military shipbuilding?

China’s military shipbuilders are showing that they can meet Beijing’s current call for warships and could produce more if given the mandate and the resources. The U.S. strategic rebalancing toward the Asia-Pacific will need more than rhetoric if it is to remain credible in the face of China’s potential to rapidly produce modern warships.

The Pentagon should consider adjusting the U.S. Navy’s ship acquisition programs in response. As Chinese warships become better, the numbers ratio between the PLAN and U.S. Navy combatants will become increasingly important. Given that shipbuilding is an industry where lead times can be many years, now is the time for Washington to begin responding to China’s warship production improvements and prepare strategically for further naval advances that Beijing is likely to unveil over the next 2-3 years.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rajanb wrote:
Ashi, you are telling us that the great cheenis are looking for approval from Uncle Sam? I would never have thought that piskologically, they are your masters. :rotfl:

Thanks again. Waiting for the next "again" post from you. :mrgreen:
Rajan, your pisko is spot on. You see the same article has been posed by another person, so important is it to spread the word. When someone else praises China it causes pride and positive energy.

But wait a minute. Who is this someone else who has said this? The same pair of firangi authors, Gabe Collins and Erickson are co founders of the Chins Signpost and have business interests in China. I had posted a reference to them on this thread a few weeks ago. Here it is:
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... s#p1361207
shiv wrote:... both people are in business with China and it is likely that their interests lie in not saying too many things that might embarrass the Chinese.
Andrew Erickson is a professor at the U.S. Naval War College and a research associate at Harvard’s Fairbank Center. Co-founder of China SignPost (洞察中国), he blogs at http://www.andrewerickson.com.

Gabe Collins is co-founder of China SignPost, founder of ChinaOilTrader.com and is a J.D. candidate at the University of Michigan Law School.
Expect more from this pair
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Remember the news from 1-2 days ago when China sent a rust bucket flying over Japanese waters to unzip Chinese fly to grope about searching for something to show while Japan responded with 8 F-15s?

Now here is some other news about that:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... 662f4e.401
Chinese government ships have moved in and out of waters around the islands for more than two months -- four vessels were there for several hours on Thursday.

Such confrontations have become commonplace since Japan nationalised the East China Sea islands in September, a move it insisted amounted to nothing more than a change of ownership of what was already Japanese territory.

But Beijing reacted with fury, with observers saying the riots that erupted across China had at least tacit backing from the Communist Party government.
China behaves like a huge Pakistan. The government, seeking to hold on to power encourages riots and anger at external agents to keep the population busy. What the Chinese military need is a little war where people get killed. If they get their butts handed to them, so much the better. That should give a CPC a few things to think about for the 19th party Congress.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

^^^

So these two guys are making money out of the chinese. The piskological plot unravels. CoA - Certificate of Acceptance from Massa and now from safed chamdis. With the invisible cloak of being eggspurts. :rotfl:

The cheenis should realise that if the Japs go Kamikaze, the Viets go VietCong then we will soon have a new sea. The South Dead China Sea. They will get b!tchslapped to Kingdom come. :rotfl:
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

Things are just getting started...
http://zeenews.india.com/news/nation/in ... 15504.html

Good catch Shiv. So the farticle on the low "quality" ship building was just another paid article. :rotfl: . They seem to have learnt from
the paki techniques.

Another one on chinese ship quality..
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/ ... LE20120531

China shipyards struggle to survive through downturn

* Japan, S.Korea offer better quality vessels

http://www.sinoshipnews.com/news_conten ... id=3w3c574
News
Quality of Chinese OSV construction under the spotlight

tsk tsk...I am sure US has taken notice of all these.. :rotfl:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Chinese Shipbuilder Slumps
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... 97364.html
SHANGHAI—One of China's largest shipbuilders said Wednesday that it canceled eight shipbuilding contracts during the second quarter because customers failed to pay, demonstrating the tough conditions that face China's shipbuilders and international shipping companies.

Yangzijiang Shipbuilding Holdings Ltd. also said its second-quarter net profit declined 8.9% as operating expenses nearly doubled and the privately owned company reaped fewer gains from currency translations.

The Singapore-listed company said the cancellations included six dry-bulk carriers with a capacity of 82,000 deadweight tons and two with a capacity of 34,000. Such vessels are often used to carry commodities such as iron ore. The company said it confiscated the deposits on the vessels, which amounted to about 15% of their total value. The smaller vessels are worth about $24 million each.

Yangzijiang said it managed to resell the two smaller vessels and one of the larger ships. A spokesman for the company said it is "actively sourcing for buyers for the remaining vessels."

The announcement is the latest in a string of woes to hit China's shipbuilders, which could face consolidation and closures amid a shipbuilding capacity glut and trade volumes weakened by global economic uncertainty. China benefited most from the order rush of new ships that peaked in 2009 and 2010, when shipowners—spurred by high freight rates—turned to Chinese yards for competitively priced vessels. To cope with demand, new shipyards mushroomed while old ones expanded capacity.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Rough Winds Ahead for China’s Shipbuilding Industry
By Gao Zitan
Epoch Times Staff Created: September 7, 2012 Last Updated: October 10, 2012
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/china-n ... 89358.html
The global collapse of shipping rates and general oversupply of vessels as well as the slow-down in the Chinese economy is forcing more and more Chinese ship building companies to close shop.

According to a report in the Southern Metropolis Daily, a newspaper serving the Pearl Delta region in southeast China, the China State Shipbuilding Corporation general manager Tan Zuojun recently said that 50 percent of mainland Chinese ship builders will be closed in the next 2-3 years.

A staff member at the Taizhou Economy and Information Technology Bureau told 21cbh.com that companies are running on borrowed time. Some still have old orders to complete, as the building cycle for a large ship can span several years, but without new orders coming in, the number of companies to go bust might be even higher than anticipated.

Due to the long build-times, the shipbuilding sector is prone to large boom and bust cycles, as production cannot be adjusted quickly. At this moment, there is a persistent glut in vessels and productive capacity on the global market. Mainland China alone has enough capacity to service the entire world’s demand for new ships, as was reported by a Chinese shipping industry newsletter.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/03 ... g-20120803
In China, shipbuilders languish after bubble bursts
A building binge fueled by boom times has led to a glut of ships as China's economy slows down. China's expansion of the sector has only compounded the problem.
August 03, 2012|By David Pierson, Los Angeles Times
..in another sign ofChina'seconomic slowdown, shipyards are now closing and half-finished vessels lie rusting in the humid haze. Prosperity is receding like the tide.

Thousands of laborers have lost their jobs. Liu Danyin, a compact man with bulging forearms, found so much work in the region's shipyards over the last decade that he built a new home for his family hundreds of miles away in the countryside. Then he was laid off suddenly last year.

"Many companies collapsed," said Liu, 48, who recently took a lower-paying job building a sea bridge. "There used to be so much energy and life here. Now they don't build ships anymore."

The hard times that have befallen Yueqing, a county in the eastern province of Zhejiang, are playing out at shipbuilding bases across China, from the northern port of Qingdao to the silt-filled Yangtze River in the central heartlands.

The bellwether industry's troubles have their roots in a shipping boom that started a decade ago. Global investors rushed to finance new vessels needed to haul coal and copper toChina'shumming factories and to transport finished electronics, toys and other exports out. China went from producing just over 100 vessels in 2002 to more than 1,000 in 2010, according to Worldyards, a Singaporean-based shipping industry research firm.

That over-exuberance resulted in a glut of ships. It's a problem that has worsened as China'seconomy has decelerated along with that of its major trading partners — Europe and the United States. Fewer customers for Chinese exports and a shrinking appetite at home for raw materials mean fewer vessels needed to carry that cargo.
kish
BRFite

Post by kish »

From the reuters link.
Rock bottom freight rates, slowing economic growth and an oversupply of ships have forced maritime firms to cancel or delay hundreds of new orders, leaving yards especially in China with unwanted vessels for sale :lol:
As many as half of China's 1,600 shipbuilding companies are expected to go bankrupt :(( or be acquired by larger rivals in the next two to three years and pressure is growing to move inventory, according to senior Chinese industry executives
"The fact is that Japanese and South Korean yards are longer established and intend to have better technology, and therefore able to build higher quality vessels."
All the junk stacked up in chinese shipyard will be 'sold' to pakis. :lol:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

China may be building warships to keep shipbuilding workers employed. That is always a good idea - but sooner or later there will be war and hopefully a few of these junks will be sunk, leading to some red faces and sore asses. War is always tough shit. China is asking for war. It may be necessary to give China the war it wants.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

kish wrote: All the junk stacked up in chinese shipyard will be 'sold' to pakis. :lol:
The word "sell" is important. For all its aggressiveness, China seeks to compete on the arms sales market which is why the comparisons with Russia and the USA always includes sales. Chins needs to sell to make money to create prosperity like anyone else and apart from cheap colored plastic, China seeks to sell cheap arms to cheapos. Gifting arms does not make sense.

I was fascinated to learn that a gearbox from a locomotive given to tarrel deepel plostitute Pakistan just disintegrated. Gearboxes are high stress gizmos and need to be made to withstand great stresses using fine tolerances and HiQ materials. China seems to allow the production and export of crap.
Harshad
BRFite

Post by Harshad »

30 China Ships Crack Cranks
Main engine crankshafts on some 30 ships built in China have have failed within two years of construction claims South Korean shipbuilding magazine Asiasis in what it refers to as ‘fatal accidents’.

According to the report the vessels were built in the Xiangshan area of Zhejiang province.
http://maritimeaccident.org/2009/08/30- ... ck-cranks/
sarabpal.s
BRFite

Post by sarabpal.s »

I heard that Chinese navy always avoid facing typhoon that show time to time in South china sea. that news i heard when Indian armada face typhoon during visit chines and Japanese port. chines quite amazed with the fact that Indian faced typhoon.

I think Chinese know there shortcoming in ship making and they don't trust own ship, that it could take a beating of nature. :wink:
Harshad
BRFite

Post by Harshad »

China’s Shipyards Fail to Win Orders as Greek Owners Shun Loans
Chinese shipyards are failing to find new work 20 months after Premier Wen Jiabao sought to encourage ordering by pledging $5 billion of loans to Greek vessel owners, who control the world’s biggest merchant fleet.
The move by state-run banks was announced by Wen in October 2010 and they have distributed about $1 billion since then, according to XRTC Business Consultants, the Athens-based adviser to China Development Bank Corp., which is coordinating the lending. Danaos Corp. (DAC), Greece’s largest container-shipping line, was one of the companies to take a loan, said the company’s president, John Coustas.
“It was a time-consuming and painful exercise,” Coustas said in an interview in Athens. The project “was a political statement that was not really matched by the will of the banking system over there to proceed with the actual money,” he said.
Almost 90 percent of China’s shipyards received no orders this year and about 28 percent have secured none since the end of 2009, Clarkson Plc (CKN), the world’s largest shipbroker, said May 16. Shares of China Rongsheng Heavy Industries Group (1101), China’s largest non-state builder, fell 55 percent in the past year, valuing the company at HK$13.6 billion ($1.8 billion).
Owners are refraining from new orders after rates plunged and the combined capacity of oil tankers, container ships and commodity carriers reached a record. Earnings from the industry averaged the lowest since 1999 so far this year, according to the ClarkSea Index, a measure of freight rates for different vessel types published by Clarkson.
European Lenders Retreat
European banks, which provide about 80 percent of the shipping industry’s financing, are retreating because of a lack of dollar funding and stricter EU capital requirements, according to Frankfurt-based DVB Bank SE (DVB), which in March had 450 such loans. Thirteen of the world’s 19 largest shipping banks stopped new lending to the industry, Dagfinn Lunde, a member of DVB’s board of managing directors, said at a March 9 presentation in London.
Banks in China may have another $3 billion to $5 billion to lend and are streamlining the credit procedures improving loan handling and documentation, George Xiradakis, the managing director of Piraeus, Greece-based based XRTC, said in a phone interview June 1. Greek owners have orders for new vessels worth $31 billion, the most by value of any country and about 10 percent of the total, Clarkson data show.
Safe Bulkers Inc. (SB), the Athens-based operator of 20 commodity carriers, didn’t seek Chinese funding because of the costs, said its President Loukas Barmparis. Chinese banks proposed loans at 3.5 percentage points above the London interbank offered rate, about 1 percentage point more than other lenders, he said. Libor is the rate at which banks say they can borrow in dollars from each other.
Smaller Owners
“It’s the smaller owners that do not have alternatives that would be the ideal candidates to absorb these funds,” Barmparis said in an interview in Athens on May 28.
Greek companies controlled 16 percent of the merchant fleet by capacity at the start of 2011, making it the largest ship- owning nation, according to the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development. Japanese owners controlled almost 16 percent. Ten Greek owners have borrowed from China, according to a May 31 presentation from XRTC.
China Shipbuilding Industry Co. (601989), whose shares slumped 27 percent in the past year, became the first yard to sell convertible bonds in the country. The state-backed supplier of submarines, missile destroyers and merchant vessels sold 8.1 billion yuan ($1.3 billion) of six-year notes with a 0.5 percent initial coupon that convert into equity, according to a stock exchange statement yesterday.
More Lending
Chinese policy makers are encouraging banks to lend more after earlier seeking to restrict credit. The amount of cash banks must set aside as reserves was reduced for the third time in six months, the central bank said May 12.
New orders for Chinese vessels would add to a glut of capacity and driving down rates, said Nikolas Tsakos, the chief executive officer of Tsakos Energy Navigation Ltd. (TNP) The Athens- based company, which operates tankers hauling crude and refined oil products, hasn’t sought financing from them.
“I was always against this,” Tsakos said in an interview in Athens on May 28. “This is for owners who can’t get Western funds. It was so bureaucratic it has not worked.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-0 ... loans.html
kish
BRFite

Post by kish »

shiv wrote:
kish wrote: All the junk stacked up in chinese shipyard will be 'sold' to pakis. :lol:
The word "sell" is important. For all its aggressiveness, China seeks to compete on the arms sales market which is why the comparisons with Russia and the USA always includes sales. Chins needs to sell to make money to create prosperity like anyone else and apart from cheap colored plastic, China seeks to sell cheap arms to cheapos. Gifting arms does not make sense.
Absolutely shiv ji. The highly toxic junk which the chinese dump in pakistan (military hardware, train engines) are funded by chinese themselves. I have never heard of pakistan ever repaying these loans. But, the chinese claim these as a legitimate military harware "sales " to stay relevant in the global military harware exports.

Its like U.S, instead of giving Coalition support fund give their decommissioned USS McInerney, P-3C Orion, etc. Its a win-win for U.S, because they are getting rid of their old ships plus getting paki support for War-on-terror.

For china, its nothing but bad loans which they keep piling up.
I was fascinated to learn that a gearbox from a locomotive given to tarrel deepel plostitute Pakistan just disintegrated. Gearboxes are high stress gizmos and need to be made to withstand great stresses using fine tolerances and HiQ materials. China seems to allow the production and export of crap.
Chinese themselves acknowledge the problem here
Therefore, the leakage and crack of gearbox in locomotive transmission is the failure that has not been entirely resolved for years. The leakage of gearbox causes a great waste of manpower and material resources and affects the environment of traffic. What's more, it makes the gear disabled. As the application indicates, the leakage of gearbox is mostly from the crack. Therefore, the crack is an urgent problem to be resolved. In this paper, the traditional design experience against the gearbox crack is summarized; its limitations are analyzed;
Selamat Pagi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Selamat Pagi »

Most of the poor quality is due to the many small ship builders that sprang up. China is in the progress of consolidating. This process of consolidating will get rid of the small unprofitable or inefficient ship builder. Although China lost the no1 position, China is still way ahead of Japan or any other countries in shipbuilding capacity.

Image :D

And China continue to build bigger, larger, longer and better every year.
Like this high profit margin Natural Gas Carrier.

Or this submiserble.

Or this deep water utility ship.

Or this 300,000 ton carrier. This is 3 time the weight of the largest US aircraft carrier. :eek:

And the world continues to buy trains from China.
Hong Kong's MTR buys first China-made locomotives
http://english.people.com.cn/90778/8037698.html

Quote"Following fierce competition, the first independently developed diesel locomotives made on the Chinese mainland have been selected by Hong Kong's Mass Transit Railway Corp for use in its world-class transit system. "
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

^^^^
And the world continues to buy trains from China.
Hong Kong's MTR buys first China-made locomotives
http://english.people.com.cn/90778/8037698.html
Quote"Following fierce competition, the first independently developed diesel locomotives made on the Chinese mainland have been selected by Hong Kong's Mass Transit Railway Corp for use in its world-class transit system. "
china to hong kong ------------>>>> world :lol:

keep it coming. 8)