Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): May 30, 2011

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Re: Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): May 30, 20

Post by AnimeshP »

For the benefit of pak lurks ... video of SDRE Army evacuating 93000 TFTA soldiers from the wrath of the bengalis

RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Published on Jun 28, 2011
'Britain to get EU trade access for Pakistan': Pakistan Press International
ISLAMABAD: British High Commissioner to Pakistan, Adam Thomson, Tuesday said that his country is trying to help Pakistan get access to the European Union market.

"We are trying to get EU trade concession of GSP Plus for Pakistan to get more Pakistani products introduced in Europe," he told a Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FPCCI) delegation that included VP Saarc CCI Iftikhar Ali Malik, VP FPCCI Amir Atta Bajwa, SVC, FPCCI Kanwar Qutbuddin.

Thomson said Pakistan has a conducive business environment but UK's SME sector is still reluctant to invest which will be only possible if the local business community extends cooperation.

He said he is inviting British investors to explore energy, super markets and other promising sectors in Pakistan.

Iftikhar Malik, who is also ex-president FPCCI, said Pakistan is being deprived of its due rights while other countries like Bangladesh are getting concessions. :((

He said Reconstruction Opportunity Zones (ROZs) in Pakistan's tribal areas is not a viable option, which he told US Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, in a meeting.

He asked UK to help boost regional trade.

To a question, the High Commissioner said Pakistan has suffered more in war on terror. "Do More” is not a helpful phrase. We all (allies in war on terror) need to do more."

He said dispute resolution initiative by FPCCI there is a need to encourage UK's business community to invest in Pakistan.

He agreed to explore business exchange programs.

He said there is no better way than to foster trade relations between Pakistan and India.

Thomson, however, said that the UK will continue to work for improved ties between the two neighbours.
If Britain promotes EU concessions to Pakistani Textiles over those of other countries, then Britain would have to suffer in the Indian market.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

SSridhar garu,

perhaps, one can constrain the letters one can use to define handles to a certain unicode block, say Basic Latin, and program the field accordingly. It may save mods some work.

just my 2 ¢!
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Rajesh, yes, you are right. But, I have no idea whether the phpBB allows that flexibility. I will take it to the Web Admin.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

disha wrote:
ajit_tr wrote:bakistani scientists succeed in mapping genome

Pakistan has become the first country in the Muslim World as well that has mapped genome of a first Muslim man.
Err -- how does the genome know that you are baki or not? Or are you trying to say that the baki muslim man can be genetically identified? Now what is the advantage, when the entire genome of a human can be downloaded now? The significance still fails me - care to explain the significance of this earth shattering news?
Ya!
“According to the researchers, the newly-sequenced Pakistani genome has uncovered a multitude of ‘Pakistan’-specific sites which can now be used in design of large-scale studies that are better suited for the Pakistani population
Also, notice, no Indian component:
http://tribune.com.pk/story/197783/mile ... stani-man/
“Our nation is a mix of a lot of races,” said Prof. Dr M Iqbal Choudhary, who heads the project. “Pakistanis are like a “melting pot” ie a mix of Mughals, Turks, Pashtuns, Afghans, Arabs, etcetera.”
Last edited by A_Gupta on 28 Jun 2011 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

RajeshA wrote:Published on Jun 28, 2011
'Britain to get EU trade access for Pakistan': Pakistan Press International

If Britain promotes EU concessions to Pakistani Textiles over those of other countries, then Britain would have to suffer in the Indian market.
India dragged the GSP+ matter to WTO and has successfully blocked it. Pakistanis may colour the Indian objection as borne out of animosity, but is a highly principled stand.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Radicals Closer Than Ever To Pakistan's Nukes
new report by the Federation of American Scientists says Pakistani nuclear weapons are more vulnerable to capture by jihadist radicals than ever before — despite months of increased drone attacks on militant groups and the killing of Osama bin Laden.The nuclear watchdog's report, to be released tomorrow, says ties between organizations like Pakistani Taliban and the country's intelligence service are particularly troubling for the security of its nuclear stockpile. Ifyou had asked me 10 years ago if Pakistan’s nuclear weapons were likely to fall in the hands of the Islamic groups, I would say it was very unlikely,” Charles P. Blair, the author of the study, told iWatch news, which obtained an advance copy of the report. “But now it is getting more likely
.”

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-r ... z1Qb9ZLJSt
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

1080 Hoors Having Happy Hours
Pakistan: US drone strikes kill 15
Two US drone missile attacks have killed at least 15 people in the Pakistani tribal region bordering Afghanistan, officials say.Twelve people were killed when a drone fired two missiles at a compound used by suspected militants in North Waziristan on Monday night, they added.Earlier on Monday, another drone fired two missiles at a vehicle in North Waziristan, killing three people.North Waziristan has been targeted by drone strikes for months. The US says the region is home to several militant groups involved in attacks on Nato forces in Afghanistan.On Monday night, drone missiles targeted a compound at the foot of a hill in the thickly-forested Mantoi area, some 40km (24 miles) north-west of Miranshah, the main town in North Waziristan. The compound was being used by local militants affiliated with Hakimullah Mehsud's Tehrik-e Taliban group, officials said.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Comment on the FP article
Dear Munshi,

Islamists in the sub-continent believe in the two nation theory which is one of the most bigoted propositions of the 20th century. And one of the greatest bigots who believed in this theory was Hussain Saheed Surawardy, the hero of Bengali muslims, who after directly inciting riots during partition as the Chief Minister of Bengal (killing thousands of Hindus and Muslims) had to finally plead with Gandhi to save muslims.

When the supreme moment came (prime minister of Pakistan) the anti-bengali racist Ayub Khan expelled him to Lebanon and poisoned him.

This is the gold standard for bigots AND inciter to religious hatred AND an useful idiot. But as a famous historian you already knew that.

Good day to you.

regards
------------------------
Who is a bigot?
@GOLDENMIDDLE:

Actually my comment was meant for SHAN94 but for some reason it appeared after your remarks.

Anyway,
You are speaking of events that happened 40-50 years ago and without any background or proof. The Two Nation Theory is still relevant today and can be adapted to fit the new situation. I believe it should not have been a two nation theory but a several nation theory. The British Raj should have been broken up into 15-20 new countries based on religion, ethnicity, culture and language
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... ent-673181
So what is the real reason for India's inhuman border fencing policy with Bangladesh? The obvious rationale for the policy (apart from India's inherent hegemonic tendencies) is preparation for war with China. Under the subservient regime of the present Awami League government under Sheikh Hasina there have been several strategically significant deals already signed or under negotiation with New Delhi such as transit facilities and access to ports as well as other vital infrastructure. These are all intended to help supply the Indian military located in the North East who are presently in a face off with Chinese troops (across the border from disputed Arunachal Pradesh) in Tibet. In the event of war, India could easily access Bangladesh to reach its army positioned in the North East but which is presently limited by the narrow Shilguri pass (or chicken neck) which could be easily blocked during a protracted conflict with China. Having access through Bangladesh provides a convenient alternative route to the North East region. But what has any of this to do with the border fencing policy? The fencing policy has a military objective to fence in Bangladeshis who might prefer to side with China and who could help incite rebellion in the insurgency prone North East states of India in time of war. It is in India's vital national interests to completely isolate and hermetically seal Bangladesh from the North East states. Bangladeshis generally resent Indian expansionist and hegemonic policies (see The India Doctrine (1947-2007)) and could easily find common cause with a sympathetic China. The strategic alignment of Bangladesh under the Awami League with India also has some obvious negative consequences for the country. Bangladesh would be inevitably drawn into a war it does not want and against a country it does not want to fight and has no serious differences with (i.e. China).
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

disha wrote:
ajit_tr wrote:bakistani scientists succeed in mapping genome

Pakistan has become the first country in the Muslim World as well that has mapped genome of a first Muslim man.
Err -- how does the genome know that you are baki or not? Or are you trying to say that the baki muslim man can be genetically identified? Now what is the advantage, when the entire genome of a human can be downloaded now? The significance still fails me - care to explain the significance of this earth shattering news?
Its bad English. What they are claiming is, with PRC help, they have mapped the genome of one of their citizens. And this is a first for a Muslim country!

Its not genome of first Muslim for that would be Ali.
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

Shia or Sunni?
I pooch because I thought Qadri was the first Muslim man
Rana
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rana »

Is India Rooting For Pakistan’s Disintegration?
http://atlanticsentinel.com/2011/06/is- ... tegration/
Indeed, the disintegration of Pakistan is seen as a prerequisite to fully institutionalizing India’s alliance with the United States by its civilian leaders. India’s armed forces are afraid that their freedom of action against Pakistan would be compromised by too close a relationship with the Americans. Hence India’s decision to European fighter jets earlier this year. “India’s prime ministers—cutting across party lines—therefore have followed a two pronged policy to shore up the American alliance.”
:
The balkanization of Pakistan could result in years of guerrilla warfare in the tribal areas, with significant internal displacement as happened in former Yugoslavia during the 1990s. India has prepared against that eventuality with an electrified border fence (PDF) so refugees would likely seek safe haven in western and northern parts of Afghanistan and Central Asia as fighting concentrates on the border between the North West Frontier Province and the Punjab. Balochistan and Sindh, which contain vast natural riches and have access to the sea respectively, would not be able to escape violence spilling over into their territories.
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

Woh subah kabhi to aayegi
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Mahendra has to be Sunni. Shia came later. Even Ali never claimed to have started the Shia line.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Wonder if the hotel houses Indian citizens.
Rahul Shukla
BRFite

Post by Rahul Shukla »

^^^
I posted it in the wrong thread, but reposting...

Bombers attack luxury hotel in Kabul (CNN)
Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- A group of people using bombs and small arms attacked the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul Tuesday, and fighting was ongoing with Afghan security forces, Chief of Criminal Investigation Mohammed Zahir told CNN.

Among the attackers were suicide bombers, he said.
This is ongoing, now...
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Rediff:
The Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul has come under attack by suicide bombers and gunmen, in which at least 10 people have been reportedly killed, reported BBC.

Kabul's police chief told the BBC that security forces were exchanging fire with up to six assailants who had got inside the hotel popular with foreign tourists.

A security official said three suicide bombers had blown themselves up -- at the hotel's front gate, on the second floor, and at the back of the hotel, the report stated.

Guests at the Intercontinental told BBC's Bilal Sarwary in Kabul that the scene was one of chaos and panic, and that they had been told not to open their doors.

Afghan officials told the BBC that a group of Afghan governors had been meeting at the hotel at the time of the attack.

The Intercontinental is one of Kabul's best-known hotels and is situated on a hill in the west of the city.

An Afghan intelligence official at the hotel told the BBC: ''We are still fighting the attackers. Our initial reports show there are at least 10 casualties."

"One of the attackers managed to get on the roof of the hotel. The electricity is gone. We are covering a lot of area in and around the hotel. But we have a lot of guests in the room that we want to protect," he added.

There is now a heavy police presence and traffic is being diverted.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said the group was behind the attack in telephone calls to two news agencies.
Must be past midnight in Kabul now..
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Looks like an LeT attack. If there is even one westerner among the victims, expect CNN/Fox to give updates, and perhaphs some focus on TSP fs the link is speculated. If its only SDREs and Afghans, CNN/Fox won't even talk about, while BeeB will have a blurb in the "South Asia" section with the caveat that India/Afghans allege TSP role, while TSP denies. Objective journalism 101 onlee when victims are not westerners.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Mahendra wrote:Shia or Sunni?
I pooch because I thought Qadri was the first Muslim man
My unkal in ISI has told it was Qadiani genome onlee, AoA.
RSoami
BRFite

Post by RSoami »

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World- ... l_In_Kabul

A Canadian diplomat is reported to be among the dead.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Mahendra wrote:Shia or Sunni?
Pure Bakis have no such divides. They refer to themselves as the "Shunnis" to get over that divide..... And they are 400% right and rest of Ummah/world agrees 8)
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

A_Gupta wrote: .....
Ya!
“According to the researchers, the newly-sequenced Pakistani genome has uncovered a multitude of ‘Pakistan’-specific sites which can now be used in design of large-scale studies that are better suited for the Pakistani population
Also, notice, no Indian component:
http://tribune.com.pk/story/197783/mile ... stani-man/
“Our nation is a mix of a lot of races,” said Prof. Dr M Iqbal Choudhary, who heads the project. “Pakistanis are like a “melting pot” ie a mix of Mughals, Turks, Pashtuns, Afghans, Arabs, etcetera.”
I said that the Pakis are a mix of a lot of frontier invaders. Some WKK got so upset he walked out of the talk. he met me two years later and berated me for saying that. His POV is they are just like us.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

ramana wrote:
I said that the Pakis are a mix of a lot of frontier invaders. Some WKK got so upset he walked out of the talk. he met me two years later and berated me for saying that. His POV is they are just like us.
East of Indus as like us onlee. We are like this onlee
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

@Ramana ^^^: "I said that the Pakis are a mix of a lot of frontier invaders. Some WKK got so upset he walked out of the talk. he met me two years later and berated me for saying that. His POV is they are just like us."

I had a similar experience when TiE was being set up (I am not a tie coon) . I asked why include the Pakis? Got the same Sialkot Syndrome response you did. Maybe it's just that we have more than our fair share of useful idiots.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Acharya wrote:East of Indus as like us onlee. We are like this onlee
Acharya even this is incorrect. Genes don't lie.

Take a look at the Genographic project map. http://genographic.nationalgeographic.c ... atlas.html

Genetically North or South of the Indus has no divider. We are all the same mix. If you lived in Sub-Tropical India for a long period your skin became darker. If you lived in Temperate India for a long time your skin became lighter. No genetic changes are apparently necessary for this. There are some occasional odd genomes in there but they are vanishingly small in representation. Less than 0.001 % in some cases. There are about 4-5 large male lines that comprise 95%+ of the genome from Iran to Australia. The Female Mitochondrial lines tend to be much more varied. But more in terms of representation from Older migration lines.

I hope some one told them that what they have is a African Human Genome as all of us do.

For long time it has been the same mix of people invading/migrating.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramana wrote: I said that the Pakis are a mix of a lot of frontier invaders. Some WKK got so upset he walked out of the talk. he met me two years later and berated me for saying that. His POV is they are just like us.
Its been a while since I read papers on the subject - but I do see them from time to time. Genetically I don't think there are any specific markers to say someone is Persian, Turk etc. Typically there is a mix of genes that covers a huge area of the world even among Indians. Or Europeans and Africans.

But I am happy these idiot Pakis have identified markers that no one else has. their findings will only attract the ROTFL it deserves. Pakistanis are shameless in claiming credit that this is a first for a Muslim country. It show how backward Muslims countries are and seems like one more indicator that to be Muslim is to remain backward. Among them Pakis are king buffoons. How ironic that they were connected with India. Karma I tell ya. Karma.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Its not karma but the inherrent nature . Poaks and boast of first and onlee Muslimness goes together like pile of poop and foul smell. Cant separate them from eachother.Poakpoo and Badboo manisfest themselves simultanously.Funny that many fell for the trick and started counting Poakaniamls as part of human species.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Prem wrote:Its not karma but the inherrent nature . Poaks and boast of first and onlee Muslimness goes together like pile of poop and foul smell. Cant separate them from eachother.Poakpoo and Badboo manisfest themselves simultanously.Funny that many fell for the trick and started counting Poakaniamls as part of human species.
Its our karma to remain associated with these stupids :roll:
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

One of Pakistan’s best known historians, Prof. K.K.Aziz, in his book, “Murder of History” has the following to say of a Pakistani propensity:

Almost every Muslim of any importance claimed, and still claims today, in his autobiography reminiscences, memoirs, journal and bio data, that his ancestors had come from Yemen, Hejaz,* Central Asia, Iran, Ghazni, or some other foreign territory. In most cases, this is a false claim for its arithmetic reduces the hordes of local converts (to Islam) to an insignificant number. Actually, it is an aftermath and confirmation of Afghan and Mughal exclusiveness. It is also a declaration of disaffiliation from the soil on which the shammers have lived for centuries, and to which in all probability, they have belonged since history began. If all the Siddiquis, Qureshis, Faruqis, ... have foreign origins and their forefathers accompanied the invading armies, or followed them, what happens to the solemn averment that Islam spread peacefully in India? Are we expected to believe that local converts, whose number must have been formidable, were all nincompoops and the wretched of the earth—incapable over long centuries of producing any leaders, thinkers, or scholars?

Reading about the genome sequencing and the unique genetic markers that are said to have been found to identify inner-most Pakistaniyat, I was somehow reminded of the above.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

It confirms Pakis will use Djinn technology to find their inner Pakistaniyat!
Some use science others use majical realism.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramana wrote:It confirms Pakis will use Djinn technology to find their inner Pakistaniyat!
Some use science others use majical realism.
They also use your taxpayer money to buy off the shelf DIY kits and pass off the findings as original research
http://blogs.forbes.com/robertlangreth/ ... -monopoly/
Salzberg’s do-it-yourself concept would have seemed preposterous a few year ago. But now the cost of scanning an entire person’s genome has plummeted to $20,000 or less. Costs continue to decrease, and the day when deciphering all 22,000 genes costs less than Myriad’s $3000 test that looks at two genes is not far off.

“In the not-too-distant future, we’ll all have our genomes on a thumb drive,” says Salzberg (disclosure: he is a blogger for Forbes.)
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X posted from the Pakistani Role in Global Terrorism thread.

The Islamic Terrorist supporting ways of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan acknowledged in hearings before the US Senate Armed Forces Committee.

US Vice Adm.William McRaven says Mullah Omar is being sheltered in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and the Islamic Republic of Pakistan knows about this:
Senators level new criticism at Pakistan for sheltering terrorists

By Charley Keyes, CNN Senior National Security Producer

June 28, 2011 -- Updated 2307 GMT (0707 HKT)

Washington (CNN) -- U.S. senators didn't miss a chance Tuesday to voice frustration with Pakistan over how it takes billions of dollars of American aid while providing safe havens to terrorists to build bombs and launch cross-border attacks on U.S.troops in Afghanistan.

"Well, something's got to give, something's got to change," Sen. Carl Levin, D-Michigan, who chairs the Senate Armed Services Committee, said at a hearing. "Because it just can't continue this way, for them to expect that we're going to have a normal relationship with them -- which we all hope for."

And Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, also was critical of Pakistan; specifically, whether the top Taliban leader and al Qaeda ally Mullah Omar was hiding there.

"Is Mullah Omar in Pakistan?" Graham asked Vice Adm.William McRaven, who supervised the raid on the Osama bin Laden compound In Pakistan that ended with the death of al Qaeda leader.

"Sir, we believe he is," McRaven replied.

The hearing was the next step toward Senate approval of President Barack Obama's decision to promote McRaven to become commander of the U.S. Special Forces Command.

Graham nudged McRaven along. "Do we believe he is there is with the knowledge of the ISI (Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate) and the upper echelon of the (Pakistani) army?" asked Graham.

"Sir, I believe the Pakistanis know he is in Pakistan," McRaven said.

"Let me ask you this -- If they tried for about a week do you think they could then find him?" said Graham.

"I can't answer that because i don't know whether they could or not because i don't know exactly where Mullah Omar is," answered McRaven, who said he believed the United States. has asked Pakistan to find the Taliban leader.

"Well, I'm asking," said Graham. "I think Sen. Levin and I will both ask together today." …………………..

CNN
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

ajit_tr wrote:Pakistani scientists succeed in mapping genome
Pakistani scientists have mapped genome of the first Pakistani, while with this historical achievement, Pakistan joins the ranks of the few countries - the US, UK, China, Japan and India - which have successfully sequenced the human genome.

Dr Panjwani Centre for Molecular Medicine & Drug Research (PCMD), University of Karachi (KU) and Beijing Genomics Institute, China, have jointly mapped genome of the first Pakistani, living in Karachi.

It costs around 2000$ to get the whole genome sequenced in the US...from commercial labs. The person does not have to live in Karachi, a DNA sample is enough. Looks like Paki's succeeded in collecting a DNA sample for submission to China. Congratulations Pak..
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

RajeshA wrote:
ರಾಘವೇಂದ್ರ wrote: :rotfl: what is kufr china doing in mapping purelander's genes?
There is a big demand for pork in China. But they want to genetically modify it first - afraid the disease of Pakistaniyat could otherwise spread to the Hans!

Everybody is looking for a cure to Pakistaniyat - the Chinese in their own way. With the genome, now the Chinese can isolate Pakistani specific genetic markers and create a ebola virus that attacks only Pakistanis. The idea is to take over Pakjab as well after the Chinese are finished with Gilgit-Baltistan!

Can there be any other explanation? No!

The Pakis are so stupid, they don't know what awaits them!

:twisted:
Eggjaktly, once the DNA (Drugs N Alcohol) sequence of bakis is known, one can control bakis by site directed mutagenesis (Pak lurkers look this up in wiki) and other tricks. If the sequence is leaked to raa, one could potentially clone a hundred 10%'s...oh the possibilities.
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

In recent times I have read two articles in yawn, the first one dealt with mass paki evacuation that is impending, and the issue was which neighboring country would they go to. The second one by Kunwar Idris talks about unification with India...all themes which have been discussed on BRF. Looks like things are heating up in purerland.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiap ... ?hpt=hp_t1

attack on intercontinental hotel in kabul : 18 killed

-
this batch of graduates seemed to be duller than the 26/11 passouts. they camped on the roof firing RPGs toward other targets - ISAF helicopter gunships came in the dark and shot them down with cannons.
Last edited by Singha on 29 Jun 2011 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
GuruPrabhu
BRFite

Post by GuruPrabhu »

AnimeshP wrote:For the benefit of pak lurks ... video of SDRE Army evacuating 93000 TFTA soldiers from the wrath of the bengalis

The train scene starting at ~2:30 brings back memories. I recall going to the railway station as these POW trains rolled by. A lot of people had gathered to get a dekho at the barbarians. There was no hostility - just staring down the captives with stern eyes silently asking, "what kind of animals are you?" I recall one time a person spitting at the POWs - folks asked him to calm down. I still don't understand how/why they got away without due punishment.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

all of them should have been made to serve atleast 5 years of penal labour in BD and Indian road construction and repair camps before being let home. and the war criminals should have been identified right there and punished. BD made a grave mistake in letting the war criminals go and look the other way toward its internal collaborators, mistakes which it paid for later.

the personality of late FM Maneckshaw does shine through in that initial segment..the friendly punch he throws the trooper...good stuff.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

Aboard the 'torture train' to Pakistan
Leaving Karachi at 11 p.m. every Friday, the train's scheduled arrival in Jodhpur is 9.30 p.m. Saturday.

But thanks to marathon customs checks on both sides of the border (passengers say it is more intense in India), the train doesn't make it to Jodhpur before 7 a.m. Sunday - a good 10 hours late.

That makes it a 32-hour journey for a distance of no more than 700 km, which should not consume more than 12 hours normally.
"The tax is on the gold you carry, it is not to be applied on the jewellery you wear. Do they do the same thing at airports?" Khoob Chand rued to IANS. "It's only because we are poor and helpless that they do this."

A journey from Jodhpur to Karachi costs around Rs.450. For six months, the Indian train crosses over the border and the Pakistani train does that for the other six months.
There is no water or food supply in the train; the luggage is kept in a separate coach. After loading passengers from Jodhpur, the train does not make any single halt until Munabao, the Indian checkpost near the border. Though there are food stalls at the Munabao station, they run out of stock in no time.

Add to that the dry desert heat and the intense security checks and it is clear why the passengers feel violated. The immigration checks, the passengers say, are more orderly and efficient.