Indian Army: News & Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Army: News & Discussion

Post by Rahul M »

no disagreements there.

p.s. after the unit had left with the major, the media arrived and discovered the brave pandus shivering under a table. :rotfl:
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

Wow. Lots of discussion. I was really replying to the "truth comes out" statement of ASP's to the effect that the country doesn't really care for it or too much for the Army by the glee with which people pile on it. Take a sampling of the news headlines and it's clear enough. Is there really any chance they'll report on the actual facts when they come to light? Going by the Calcutta incident I have very little faith. Me? I'm just surprised our neta log haven't pitched in yet.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

frankly, if you think the media represents India then it's your problem. talk with the average ram or shyam on the street and you will see completely different attitude.
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

Rahul M wrote:frankly, if you think the media represents India then it's your problem. talk with the average ram or shyam on the street and you will see completely different attitude.
Oh did you miss the part where everyone and his sister joined in that video above?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

yeah ? and did what ? please get rid of the chip on the shoulder and watch it again.
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

Rahul M wrote:yeah ? and did what ? please get rid of the chip on the shoulder and watch it again.
umm.. Hit them? Of course it's possible both sides were in mufti so it just looks that way. In the interest of politeness I should probably dole out some gratuitous advice in return but I'm too lazy to think of any.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

rohitvats wrote:You can see the aam-junta having a go at the jawans/officers.
Excellent !! This was reported in the Malayalam daily which I read, so looks like the news is getting good publicity. As per that report.
1. Military folks had misbehaved with two lady constables on duty at Sambhaji bridge pune, which seems to be out of bound for vehicular traffic.
2. The military folks stated that being military officers they can go any where they want, in what ever means they chose.
3. When a male constable tried to support the lady constables he was assaulted. This was when civilians also intervened.
4. When these two soldiers were taken to the PS, they called in their pals from the barracks. And large number of them landed up (mostly in civil dress) and a few trucks with people in uniform.

Looks the common people (not police men) too got fed up with the high handedness of the military men and thrashed them. If you ask me, that is required. Very rarely common people get into police v/s military clashes. Looks like that is not the case here.
ManishH wrote:YOs will be YOs. The commandant will defend them in public, but it will be "pitthoo parade" or "balli drill" for them
That was not actually required. They should have been left in the midst of the general public. The general public too seems to have gotten into the fracas for the first time. High time these so called "gazzetted officers" are shown their right ful place.
ASPuar wrote:If Southern Army Commander has any circular objects between his legs, he will call the CM to complain about the behaviour of his police!
Yes, the police created the ruckus but the media reports that it was Army trucks which brought in more army men :roll:. The CM when he gets this complaint should also ask if the Southern Army Commander and his men know the traffic rules in the city of Pune.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

@Sachin: Contention of the army is that police report is false. All allegations of misbehaviour with anyone on behalf of army officers is false. They were paying the fine, when a constable (male) misbehaved with them.

And yes, they are gazetted officers, and a mere constable has no business misbehaving with them, or with any other citizen. Too often, the police behave high handedly, and illegally, thinking that their uniform can protect them from any thing, be it corruption, brutality, misbehaviour, even molestation. They got their just desserts. Wearing a uniform does not mean that you behave like swaggering goons, arbitrarily misbehaving with the public. It just happens that in this case, the person they misbehaved with were able to retaliate. Most citizens have to put up with such behaviour quietly.

The bridge is not marked as a no entry area, so please do not preach on knowing traffic rules. I will add, that military vehicles on duty are exempt from NO ENTRY restrictions per the Army Act 1950, and Indian Tolls Act. As for the Army trucks arriving, which you make such a big deal about, it was Military Police, requested by the Civil Police themselves, to rectify the situation. Please read the reports before commenting so freely about the matter. How does this become a grounds for complaint, when the police themselves requested this force to arrive?

Whatever the case of indiscipline was, Army has already said it will investigate, and it will. What about the (mis)behaviour of these so called protectors of the law?

Let the law take its course, and let FIR's be registered u/s 156 CrPC against the police personnel, and failing action by police against its own (which is usually the case), let a magistrate direct registration under 156(3), read with 190 CrPC.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Sachin wrote:<snip>The CM when he gets this complaint should also ask if the Southern Army Commander and his men know the traffic rules in the city of Pune.
The bridge in question is a particularly infamous one in Pune. There is no sign indicating that two wheelers aren't allowed and never do the Police stop anyone from entering. It is only at exit that the Police stops the vehicles to harasses them to get bribes.
So, anyone new to the city is bound to "break the law".
I remember from past discussions that you tend to take a lopsided view on things when Police gets concerned. I don't know the reason for that, but I hope that you would at least consider the statements from both sides before getting all worked up at the percieved "high handedness of the military men".
Last edited by Gaur on 02 Feb 2012 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

Sachin wrote: Looks the common people (not police men) too got fed up with the high handedness of the military men and thrashed them. If you ask me, that is required. Very rarely common people get into police v/s military clashes.
lol. This is funny. The common man in India likes any road spectacle. He will join in whenever possible. Anybody having spent any time in India should have seen that. If a lorry hits a pole, the local village head will turn up. Also funny is that high handedness gets applied to any other party when the police is involved. They practically own that title. Misattributing it will probably get you a thrashing at the local thana and an off the books tea-money fine.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

anjan wrote: This is funny. The common man in India likes any road spectacle. He will join in whenever possible.
Looks the people too joined the fun and gave some thrashings to the Army officers :). BTW, the officers too could have stated their rank, and their rights as per the Army rules etc. No they immediately tried their standard tactic of hitting people. Only thing here it did not end up in a one way fight (like in Kolkotha), and these "gazzetted officers" got hit in return as well.

I for one, would not give a carte blanche that Indian Armed Forces all consists of officers and men who are 100% clean, non-corrupt and have joined to serve the nation.

@ASPuar saab: Yes, let the law take its own course. The Army can certainly file complaints against the police. But would also like to see what action Army takes against its own "gazzetted officers". Punishments meted out to police men will generally get reported, but not yet seen any thing related to the Armed Forces.
prabhug
BRFite

Post by prabhug »

I see this incident as army getting in touch of common people .And the civilian getting out of its shell when it comes to defense personnel(The legacy of raj).Good the for the country.We will adjust to live peacefully.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

>> Looks the people too joined the fun and gave some thrashings to the Army officers

I watched the vid and it sure as hell didn't look like that. even the news report said civvies were trying to separate the pandus and the boots.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

It is very well accepted by all and sundry that a person who misbehaves first will be a policewala, who being a public servant, will do the disservice first to a common poor citizen. These policewalas can be seen shamelessly picking up money thrown on road as bribe from truck walas everyday in my town. Harrassing every poor/middleclass citizen, taking away their licence, rounding them up for no reason and insulting at will. You will see armywala guys helping people at station, railway stations, in trains and sometimes giving their lives while protecting passengers from train robber. I am searching for such examples from policewala.

A policewala in my town : खल रक्षणाय सद निग्रहणIय
Last edited by Murugan on 02 Feb 2012 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
schowdhuri
BRFite

Post by schowdhuri »

Sachin wrote:
anjan wrote: This is funny. The common man in India likes any road spectacle. He will join in whenever possible.
Looks the people too joined the fun and gave some thrashings to the Army officers :). BTW, the officers too could have stated their rank, and their rights as per the Army rules etc. No they immediately tried their standard tactic of hitting people. Only thing here it did not end up in a one way fight (like in Kolkotha), and these "gazzetted officers" got hit in return as well.

I for one, would not give a carte blanche that Indian Armed Forces all consists of officers and men who are 100% clean, non-corrupt and have joined to serve the nation.

@ASPuar saab: Yes, let the law take its own course. The Army can certainly file complaints against the police. But would also like to see what action Army takes against its own "gazzetted officers". Punishments meted out to police men will generally get reported, but not yet seen any thing related to the Armed Forces.
It is Kolkata, not Kolkotha. Obviously, you have no idea about the Kolkata police, which is perhaps the only police force to have recorded instances of its own force fighting each other, when some of them behave like hooligans (which is all to often). You are commenting here on an incident you do not know about.

What happened in Pune is unclear, however the fact that people are not forewarned, and only stopped at the exit of the bridge, tells anyone what the intention of the police is.
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

Sachin wrote:Looks the people too joined the fun and gave some thrashings to the Army officers :). BTW, the officers too could have stated their rank, and their rights as per the Army rules etc. No they immediately tried their standard tactic of hitting people. Only thing here it did not end up in a one way fight (like in Kolkotha), and these "gazzetted officers" got hit in return as well.
Well if the police think like you and believe it is fun to thrash people it goes a long way towards explaining the behaviour of the police. If you read the story you might have read the part where the second policeman got upset because they said they were from the Army. SOP is to always show your I-Card. The reported story squares with that.

BTW the Kolkata thing started with the officer demanding the hotel fulfil it's bargain. You know like a normal law abiding citizen. In return for which he was thrashed and the second officer to go looking for him was also thrashed. You know probably because like you they believed thrashing people was "fun". All of which you know if you'd even read 3 posts above your own. On the other hand, if defending the Police is your chosen avocation I can see why you wouldn't bother with the facts. They certainly don't as a practice and such trifles can only come in the way. More "fun" to just thrash people.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Murugan wrote: These policewalas can be seen shamelessly picking up money thrown on road as bribe from truck walas everyday in my town. Harrassing every poor/middleclass citizen, taking away their licence, rounding them up for no reason and insulting at will.
Media never report this. there is a plenty of photo-opportunities like policewala picking up bribe from road, spewing pan/masala on duty, neglecting ugly traffic situation, shamelessly inserting bribe in his pocket.

Media thinks that this misbehivour of police is not worthy of reporting as police force is not so important as compared to armywala. Armywla must behave!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

hey, that's not true. there's one such corrupt pandu story everyday. thing is, it's not a big deal, it's what everyone expects.
it becomes a good story if army is involved because people have more respect for army.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Marten wrote:That said, would rather that Armed Forces personnel do not break the law, inc. traffic laws.
+1 to that.
In this case, there is little choice if a board prohibiting two wheeler traffic from entering the bridge is not displayed.
That has to be done by the elected council of Pune (Corporation, Municipal council etc. etc.). Police only enforces the local rules and law.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Sachin wrote:
In this case, there is little choice if a board prohibiting two wheeler traffic from entering the bridge is not displayed.
That has to be done by the elected council of Pune (Corporation, Municipal council etc. etc.). Police only enforces the local rules and law.
Police certainly enforces the rules...there is no doubt regarding that. The only puzzling thing is that the Policemen at that particular bridge seem to enforce rules only at the exit side (when the rules have already been broken) and "never" at the entrance. This has been mentioned before, but I guess it is more convenient to ignore such trivial facts. But I have noticed your habit of always defending the actions of Police while hitting out at the Military (specially Army). So I doubt if any argument will be sufficient to go through your wall of bias.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

Let me recount an incident which is related to the Pune bridge - Army vs Police incident. In my personal experience that bridge is a trap to catch gullible newcomers in the city. There is one inconspicuous signpost in Marathi at the entrance.
My friend and I, who were new to the city, rode into the trap. Midway through the bridge when we were held up in traffic, other drivers in cars and auto shouted at us and asked us to take u-turn to avoid the police on the other end of the bridge, who were always ready to spring the trap. My friend who was riding the scooter duly turned and tried to make an exit from the side we entered. To our hard luck there was a policeman on that end too.
We tried to explain to him that we are new in the city and showed the records of vehicle regn and DL from Chennai and all that. Finally we paid up Rs 200/- on with a challan.
We asked the policeman for the correct way to the end of the bridge without taking it. The policeman said the challan is valid for the day and we can use the bridge!

Here is a post mortem of that junction / bridge.
http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.co ... e-incident
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

Sachin wrote:
Marten wrote:That said, would rather that Armed Forces personnel do not break the law, inc. traffic laws.
+1 to that.
One might as well open a toll plaza at either ends of the bridge and start collecting fines. Their endeavour must be to prevent crime or breakage of law and order. Not to meet targets set by the DCP traffic for weekly collection.
I have noticed in similar 'not for two-wheeler' bridges (like Garware bridge in Mumbai) policeman standing at the entrance of bridge, gesturing two-wheeler riders not to take the bridge. I think that is the way it should be.
---Sorry for OT
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Gaur wrote: Police certainly enforces the rules...there is no doubt regarding that. The only puzzling thing is that the Policemen at that particular bridge seem to enforce rules only at the exit side (when the rules have already been broken) and "never" at the entrance. This has been mentioned before, but I guess it is more convenient to ignore such trivial facts. But I have noticed your habit of always defending the actions of Police while hitting out at the Military (specially Army). So I doubt if any argument will be sufficient to go through your wall of bias.
Just like some people here treat the services as a holy cow, some people treat the police as a holy cow (though I wonder how in hell can one ever do that).
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Gaur

you are wrong about Sachin

It just happens that he takes interest in police aspects which stems from the fact that if he had the right police reforms and police forces we really do not need to bring in other forces and would have better security.

He has done more than many of us to assist the Army etc.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

nelson wrote:Let me recount an incident which is related to the Pune bridge - Army vs Police incident. In my personal experience that bridge is a trap to catch gullible newcomers in the city. There is one inconspicuous signpost in Marathi at the entrance.
My friend and I, who were new to the city, rode into the trap. Midway through the bridge when we were held up in traffic, other drivers in cars and auto shouted at us and asked us to take u-turn to avoid the police on the other end of the bridge, who were always ready to spring the trap. My friend who was riding the scooter duly turned and tried to make an exit from the side we entered. To our hard luck there was a policeman on that end too.
We tried to explain to him that we are new in the city and showed the records of vehicle regn and DL from Chennai and all that. Finally we paid up Rs 200/- on with a challan.
We asked the policeman for the correct way to the end of the bridge without taking it. The policeman said the challan is valid for the day and we can use the bridge!

Here is a post mortem of that junction / bridge.
http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.co ... e-incident

nelson, having an obscure sign at the entrance and the police waiting at the other end is clear case of entrapment. Any decent court would throw it out.
sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

Wonderful 'Conflict Resolution' skills being displayed by both the Army guys and the police here.

If this is their behaviour in a place like Pune, what will it be like in a place with some actual conflict.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Hearing on Friday, Feb 3, 2012

LINK

PTI keeps using the word 'dragging" to court even though court remedy is a Constitutional right. What is PTI's takleef on Indian Army Chief's DOB issue.

Most papers print it verbatim and the words get wide publicity.
saumitra_j
BRFite

Post by saumitra_j »

The bridge in question is a particularly infamous one in Pune. There is no sign indicating that two wheelers aren't allowed and never do the Police stop anyone from entering. It is only at exit that the Police stops the vehicles to harasses them to get bribes.
t. In my personal experience that bridge is a trap to catch gullible newcomers in the city. There is one inconspicuous signpost in Marathi at the entrance.
Folks, need to be careful about what you post here. I live in the city, go about that damned bridge every other day and the place has clear signs/boards indicating that two wheelers are not allowed. So it is no more a case of "entrapment" at least these days!!. It appears in this case that the army guys were caught on the wrong side of the law - and since Army men also come from the same society as the good old pandu, there is no point in assuming that they cannot be wrong. I have a cousin in the Army - quite senior now but in his days as a young Captan, I know first hand how they bullied other govt officials - take it FWIW:
My cousin's boss - the CO wanted a scooter. It was not available in the local CSD. So my cousin came to my home town (which had a bigger cantonment and hence a bigger CSD) to purchase the scooter. They purchased the scooter alright but did not register it. Now they had to take this scooter by the railways. Railways do not book vehicles unless they are registered! We knew some folks in the railways so the scooter was "loaded" in my home town. At my cousin's station (the destination), the railway officials obviously raised an alarm about how an unregistered scooter was booked. After a little bit of altercation, a couple of Shaktimans with gun toting men came to the station and settled the issue - needless to say without a bullet being fired :D !!
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

saumitra_j wrote: and since Army men also come from the same society as the good old pandu...
Unfortunate, for it underscores might is right for all the talk of dharma/adharma, and dependence on the law is for the weak or foolishly rule-abiding :(
schowdhuri
BRFite

Post by schowdhuri »

saumitra,
As mentioned before the facts of the case are not clear - maybe the army people were at fault. The truth will probably never be known because the media is only about breaking news, and not about complete stories - by next week no one will remember.

I can site a hundred anecdotes about the good things army people have done, and the bad. That is neither here nor there. (Besides, if your cousin was a young Capt, his boss would not be the CO). In India, rules are to make people life miserable, not to help them. If army people with their frequent movments were to keep following rules their life would be miserable. I know this from experience. My father broke rules many times - not because he wanted to, but because he was new to a place, and did not know. In those days there was respect for OG, and the police understood and helped out.

Staying in Pune, you know about the bridge, people who are new would not (I stayed in Pune for a yr). Just google about stories on that bridge. Staying in Hyd, I even know where the potholes are on many roads, which a newcomer would not. This discussion is about deliberately misleading newcomers, not people who are residents, and are familiar.

viv,
Absolutely true - that is how India is becoming. Intolerance, rudeness are taken as signs of strength and something to be proud of. The army cannot be immune or different.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

@saumitra_j
This short clip shows who is the reason for violence and ruckus. It is clearly seen the officer on the bike, who is in a sober and calm state, is slapped by the PI. Let alone the officer in question, will this be acceptable to you>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7_K5CcK76Y
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Army men also come from the same society as the good old pandu
But the training is different, values are different. Army men are known by people who serve the nation. Pandus to loot and harrass hapless citizens.

Dawood Ibrahim, Yasin Bhatkal come from the same society from where APJ Abdul Kalam and Azim Premji came or Kapil Sibal and Kapil Dev.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

^^If what is seen is to be believed the media reports of high handedness of the officers are grossly incorrect.
The day is not far when this country is going to suffer a bloody nose and you will find the persons who shed blood are not the young officers as has happened in previous conflicts.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

Murugan wrote:
Army men also come from the same society as the good old pandu
But the training is different, values are different. Army men are known by people who serve the nation. Pandus to loot and harrass hapless citizens.

Dawood Ibrahim, Yasin Bhatkal come from the same society from where APJ Abdul Kalam and Azim Premji came or Kapil Sibal and Kapil Dev.
+1 to that.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

It is clearly seen the officer on the bike, who is in a sober and calm state, is slapped by the PI.

:eek:

These pandu guys are not allowed to touch a citizen, leave alone an army guy who is a govt servant too.

These policewalas and govt officials misbehave always especially with powerless, helpless people. Though will lick rich and influentials' boots.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Gaur wrote:The only puzzling thing is that the Policemen at that particular bridge seem to enforce rules only at the exit side (when the rules have already been broken) and "never" at the entrance.
It is the perogative of the police to decide where they would lie in wait. Nothing in the law books states where exactly the police should lie in wait. I understand the "entrapment" factor. But it is not a violation of any law of the land. If people find that police is deliberately waiting at points waiting for the people to break the law, get it sorted out through the elected representatives.
nelson wrote:In my personal experience that bridge is a trap to catch gullible newcomers in the city.
Fine. Traffic regulations in the city are generally done with consensus from the local elected body as well. Police only have the rights to bring in temporary restrictions. All one-ways, no entries etc. are require approvals from local elected bodies. So if people have a genuine concern that this a way to trap them take it up with elected representatives.
Their endeavour must be to prevent crime or breakage of law and order. Not to meet targets set by the DCP traffic for weekly collection.
Have I heard this before? :). Every one expects the police to work in a way they want the police to work. Police men should not take bribes, but the common man can give them bribe :). What areas should be the focus of police, wont it be better to leave it to their own officials and the concerned ministry? And certainly police men would be listening to the orders of the DCP (be it the quota for traffic challans or any thing else) than some person from the army or any other agency.
This short clip shows who is the reason for violence and ruckus.
The video clippings which I saw, was showing the the two army folks trying to drive away. And their manners of driving indicated that they were trying to get away from that place quickly. And then a large number of people (some in uniforms, some in civil dress) surrounded the bike, the army chap lost his helmet. He was sober all right, but I could also see arrogance on his face. And then a PSI, or PI hit him on the face, he was pulled out of the bike, and is seen taken some where. So most probably the Army fellows argument was over and they were trying to get out of the place.
merlin wrote:Just like some people here treat the services as a holy cow, some people treat the police as a holy cow (though I wonder how in hell can one ever do that).
There are good and bad apples every where sir. I have seen the bad aspects of the police, plus the good ones as well. The Army gets a "holy cow" image, because they are pretty much isolated from the general population. People dont hear much about it, Army no way appears in the day to day life of a common Indian civilian. That is not the case with the police. It is only recently after the various scams that people even started thinking that in Army also few things dont seem to go well. But again, these also do not effect a common man directly.
ramana wrote:nelson, having an obscure sign at the entrance and the police waiting at the other end is clear case of entrapment. Any decent court would throw it out.
Sir, as far as I know entrapment related laws are not in vogue in India. IIRC, such laws are there in US where the local towns deliberately keep very low speed limits, and their local police agency waits for the people to jump in at a higher speed. :). Infact in my part of the woods, the police regularly wait at points in which they know people have a higher tendency to break traffic laws. I have seen police jeeps parked a 100mts away near bars etc., with the prime intention to catch folks driving out of the bars.
saumitra_j wrote: live in the city, go about that damned bridge every other day and the place has clear signs/boards indicating that two wheelers are not allowed. So it is no more a case of "entrapment" at least these days!!.
Thanks, that brings in a different aspect as well :).
and since Army men also come from the same society as the good old pandu, there is no point in assuming that they cannot be wrong.
Exactly my point.
Murugan wrote:Army men are known by people who serve the nation.
And this gets weightage because common man only knows this about the army. As I said earlier Army in India pretty much lives in isolation. People would say good things, because they generally are not troubled by the Army. And off course not to deny that they do a good job in defending the nation. But when this becomes an excuse for any rogue behaviour, then I think things are not all that good.

PS: One thing I noticed this time. The army also lost the game big time when they attacked media people and broke their equipments. The media may have played a more neutral game, if this did not happen. Now I hear that one of the injured media person is also filing a complaint against the officer. As some body already noted the sensation on this news was yesterday and media blamed the Army in totality.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Sachin wrote: The video clippings which I saw, was showing the the two army folks trying to drive away. And their manners of driving indicated that they were trying to get away from that place quickly. And then a large number of people (some in uniforms, some in civil dress) surrounded the bike, the army chap lost his helmet. He was sober all right, but I could also see arrogance on his face. And then a PSI, or PI hit him on the face, he was pulled out of the bike, and is seen taken some where. So most probably the Army fellows argument was over and they were trying to get out of the place.
So the policeman hit a simple traffic violator on the face and pulled him off his bike because he had "arrogance on his face" and you find nothing wrong? Forget about the fact that he was an army man for a moment. How is this appropriate behavior by the police even if he was one of the aam junta?
Last edited by nachiket on 03 Feb 2012 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

Sachin wrote:
nelson wrote:In my personal experience that bridge is a trap to catch gullible newcomers in the city.
Fine. Traffic regulations in the city are generally done with consensus from the local elected body as well. Police only have the rights to bring in temporary restrictions. All one-ways, no entries etc. are require approvals from local elected bodies. So if people have a genuine concern that this a way to trap them take it up with elected representatives.
The permanent stakeholders for enforcing law and order and traffic rules is the local police, not floating population as in this case.
Their endeavour must be to prevent crime or breakage of law and order. Not to meet targets set by the DCP traffic for weekly collection.
Have I heard this before? :). Every one expects the police to work in a way they want the police to work. Police men should not take bribes, but the common man can give them bribe :). What areas should be the focus of police, wont it be better to leave it to their own officials and the concerned ministry? And certainly police men would be listening to the orders of the DCP (be it the quota for traffic challans or any thing else) than some person from the army or any other agency.
I was just comparing the attitude of action/ reaction of police in different cities Pune vis a vis Mumbai, same state but different attitude and response. Why can't the Pune police emulate their brethren in Mumbai.
This short clip shows who is the reason for violence and ruckus.
The video clippings which I saw, was showing the the two army folks trying to drive away. And their manners of driving indicated that they were trying to get away from that place quickly. And then a large number of people (some in uniforms, some in civil dress) surrounded the bike, the army chap lost his helmet. He was sober all right, but I could also see arrogance on his face. And then a PSI, or PI hit him on the face, he was pulled out of the bike, and is seen taken some where. So most probably the Army fellows argument was over and they were trying to get out of the place.
You say that me bearing a arrogant look gives you a warrant to slap me? Unjustifiable.
PS: One thing I noticed this time. The army also lost the game big time when they attacked media people and broke their equipments. The media may have played a more neutral game, if this did not happen. Now I hear that one of the injured media person is also filing a complaint against the officer. As some body already noted the sensation on this news was yesterday and media blamed the Army in totality.
Why do you want to generalise the action(right or wrong) of a few officers as the 'army having lost the game big time'. Why do you want to justify DDM for whom the coverage was just a bilp of high TRP but not see or hear the party whose career and life has been affected by the media's biased coverage.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

What can happen at noon in honourable Supreme Court of India...
http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2012/02/s ... hiefs.html