Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion

Post by shyamd »

China is not worried at all. Look across the border into Tibet, what do we find? A pretty powerful army with nuclear bunkers/missiles etc and hell of a lot military infrastructure.

A-V is the basic deterrence. Brahmos will be used to hit selected targets such as tunnels, bunkers . Next step is getting rafale inducted in kalaikunda and other eastern air bases. Everything we are doing is for the PRC threat. Mountain warfare troops are being expanded.

India is also building tunnel networks, roads and rail infra. We need to move quicker and by 2015 we need to have a good deterrent. There is still more that needs to be done folks. While we can celebrate, there is still a lot of work to be done to protect that border.

IMHO, India will watch the Iran situation closely and we will make a decision prior to next elections on specific nuclear related issues.

PRC has been signalling and communicating that it may do something to prevent it. So we are going to have a big challenge in the next few years.
samverma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by samverma »

harbans wrote:An analogy: China has been silently farting in the lift for quite some time. Compare the fart with silently proliferating nukes and missiles to NK/ Pak. It also partially succeeded in getting Pak to point to others in the lift that India was farting and responsible for the smell. Others in the lift were not too sure who was farting. But with the NK TEL saga and other proliferation scandals exposing China..they were becoming less sure if India was the source of the fart.After the A-V test China loudly and firmly pointed that India farted..But with the latest developments in perspective others quietly moved away from China in the lift to show that they now know who has been farting all along..that galls China no end for sure. :D

Love the analogy :rotfl: :rotfl:
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

One can be sure, the PRC will go all out to try to use its hooks, hookers and influence at various levels in our polity, media, NGOs and babucracy to delay, stymie, stonewall, underfund, slander, sabotage, etc. the missile program.

However, the test success has given India momentum. Which should take us over from prototype to production stage. Its good that the missile program is covered in watertight funding (once sanctioned, the funds are available on call).
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Suraj wrote:Their concern is not with the missile. It's the attitude of the other powers that galls them. There's not a single country of any significance that has come out with a condemnatory statement of any kind. Even the Americans sounded about as positive about it as the Russians. The Europeans, through the NATO chief's statement, essentially stated that they don't care. Not a peep from MERCOSUR, ASEAN, Japan or Australia. In fact all the news outlets explicitly stated that the missile targets China.

The clearest statement of rising power is overt accommodation. With this test, we received that. To me, that is the single most important feature of this test. These are actions that we are now expected to do, not things that were 'beyond our standing' which outraged others and resulted in 'know your place' statements like in 1998. That era is over.
+1.

However, it is not just the testing of A-5 that has bought India the chair to the high table.

It is the technology that THIS missile hosts + other related technologies.

I agree with the Chinese who said that the 5000 Km is not the real figure. It should be more like 12-13,000 Kms. A similar sized missile has 10K and if one were to factor in a glide capability, it should go further down stream (and become that much more unpredictable for intercept). But, there is not NEED for India to use that beyond 5000 Kms, unless China considers Siberia as strategic depth, in which even A-5 should still suffice.

I hope (not that I expect) that Pakis give up that silly idea of A'stan as a strategic depth. Not worth it.

Now, consider two more technologies that have surfaced; ABM and loitering CMs. The ABM seems to me is actually mature enough to deal with boost phase WRT Pakis. And, IF A'stan allows us to station a few in that nation - a new meaning to strategic depth.

Loitering assets should blunt to some extent the advantage China has in "TAR" (what a laugh that acronym is).

Printhivs glide.

I love the attention China is giving India. True love I would say. Fixation!!

India's biggest threat? Internal: corrupt politicians being the main one.

I would not worry too much about China and the new tunes she comes out with.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

Hari Seldon wrote:One can be sure, the PRC will go all out to try to use its hooks, hookers and influence at various levels in our polity, media, NGOs and babucracy to delay, stymie, stonewall, underfund, slander, sabotage, etc. the missile program.

that part is what I am worried about..

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 776110.cms

NEW DELHI: Former Army chief and Arunachal governor JJ Singh's statement that India should move away from its non-negotiable stand on the border dispute with China has left the government red-faced and the Opposition snapping at it.
gakakkad
BRF Oldie

Post by gakakkad »

what embarrassed Panda the most is that its missile test conducted in proxy by NoKo failed miserably and everyone found a striking resemblance in the TELAR ..Leon Paneetta actually said that "some degree of panda help was surely there for the missile"...

Panda will start behaving paranoid as the decade ends. It is time to restart covert-ops ..
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Our old friend Eric Margolis at it again.

India Missile Test: Wake Up, Washington!
India's purported ICBM is named "Surya" and is believed to have a planned range of 12,000 km. The missile is said to be composed of the main stage of its PSLV space launcher and Agni-V. Its development remains shrouded in secrecy. The program has had many failures and misfires.
Long and thin, short and thick... A modern day Freud is needed to analyze these critics

Chinese media mock India's 'dwarf' missile
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Love the analogy

The loud fart that India let out was considered an act of frustration at China's persistent silent and pugnacious ones. China is galled that even though India farted loudly the rest clustered around India leaving China standing alone. It's like telling them the loud fart from India didn't smell..as much as the silent slinky ones they've been doling out along and pointing at others. Rather than the missile it is from that which they are smarting :)
Fidel Guevara
BRFite

Post by Fidel Guevara »

With a MARV, can't this also be used as a kinetic weapon against aircraft carriers? The kinetic energy of the RV is equivalent to 4,900 kg of TNT...easily enough for a mission kill against the largest carriers. With a 20 min flight anywhere in the IOR, this could really reinforce the "I" in "IOR".
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

No intention to cap missile plan
Ajai Shukla / New Delhi Apr 21, 2012, 00:33 IST
http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... an/472153/
After the near-perfect debut of the Agni-5 long-range ballistic missile, which yesterday travelled 5,000 kilometres to accurately strike a target in the southern Indian Ocean, V K Saraswat, the Defence Research and Development Organisation chief, declared that the Agni programme would continue and there was no question of capping India’s missile programme.

Addressing a press conference here, Saraswat said, “Our development needs are based upon today’s threats, and also evolving threats…. So, there is no question of capping any programme…. Today, in a short time, we have gone from Agni-4 (launched in November 2011) to Agni-5. We have a threat profile which is evolving and I am not sure it will ever remain static. So we are going to continue to develop missiles to meet our future threats.”

The first big enhancement to the successful Agni-5 will involve creating the capability of hitting several different enemy targets with multiple warheads on a single missile. This technology, called multiple, independently targetable, re-entry vehicles (MIRVs) is already being developed by the DRDO.

Avinash Chander, DRDO’s chief controller of missiles, explained such a missile would be “all-composite”. The Agni-5 has three stages, with the second and third stage built of composite materials. The next missile will have a composite first stage as well, making it lighter and, therefore, able to carry a heavier payload than the 1.5-tonne payload of the current Agni-5. According to DRDO sources, an MIRV payload would be significantly heavier since it would consist of several nuclear warheads, each weighing about 400 kg. A five-warhead MIRV, therefore, would weigh two tonnes.

“The primary modules of MIRV are in an advanced stage of development. Realisation and integration of them into a weapon is just a question of threat perceptions and the need as it arises,” said Chander. Saraswat laid down a two-year time line for the Agni-5 to enter operational service. “We will do two more validation tests, which should take about one and a half years. After that, we will begin production (of the Agni-5) and we will start handing it over to the military. Once they have it, they will do some launches for their training as well. This will take about two years.”

The DRDO chief revealed the missile was 80 per cent indigenous, with just 20 per cent consisting of “those components which are easily available as part of the electronics components industry.” He stated the missile does not contain a single critical component under embargo.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

So, to summarize, Tessy has put china into tissy!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

per deccan chronicle their drdo sources have confirmed the A5 hit was with a "double digit meters" CEP. ie < 100 m.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

After a looooong long time a jingoistic moment on BR to celebrate. Hope India puts this agni deve to mass production. Two per month ;) may be good enough.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the way chinese are shitting bricks over this, perhaps they already know some nasty surprises are upcoming in the next two A5 tests, plus the nirbhay test in july-august.

prahaar, brahmos, nirbhay and shourya will form a quadrishul of sorts to attack SAM sites and C3I nodes in depths ranging from 100km to 600km behind the FEBA.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Singha wrote:the way chinese are shitting bricks over this, perhaps they already know some nasty surprises are upcoming in the next two A5 tests, plus the nirbhay test in july-august.

prahaar, brahmos, nirbhay and shourya will form a quadrishul of sorts to attack SAM sites and C3I nodes in depths ranging from 100km to 600km behind the FEBA.
Seems to me anything that is not mobile and solid, has been sanitized. Or at least the probability to do so has been increased enough for them to lose sleep.

But, again, this loss of sleep has to do with all the technologies India posses.

BTW, on guidance, is there any sort of limit (in general) on the payload/distance traveled by a missile? Does the CEP change with load/distance?
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Don wrote:China Laughs at India's 'Dwarf' Missile

http://news.yahoo.com/china-laughs-indi ... 45437.html
In China, Size Matters

This week, China's regional foe India successfully launched a missile capable of striking deep within China's territory. China's media couldn't let India bask in its rocket glory so its state-run newspapers began bashing the Agni-V missile, calling it a "dwarf" when compared to China's own missiles. "India should not overestimate its strength," read an editorial in the state-run English language newspaper Global Times. "For the foreseeable future, India would stand no chance in an overall arms race with China." An April 20 editorial in the state-run Huanqiu Shibao newspaper mocked India's "backwardness" and said its missile program was merely in "early childhood." Then there's the Communist Party organ Renmin Wang, which said the country's "very serious" social problems were preventing the country from attaining its "cherished... dream of becoming a major power." The Middling Kingdom doth protest too much!
Seems like the Chinese are fixated on size.They need to watch the following video( From the chucky series)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUYMKoa-A8g

Notice how Chucky proceeds to kill Damien while laughing maniacally(can be easily the fate of any arrogant entity).
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

There seems to be some info that's not right about Agni 5 specs when you compare it with its predecessor Agn3.
Thought the A5 has got lot of new stuff like the composite motors and other new guidance stuff but still thats inside. From the outside and I mean the dimensions of both the missiles seem pretty similar. For comparison sake:

Agni 3 Agni 5
48Tons 50Tons
17Mtrs 17.5Mtrs
2M Dia 2M Dia
2500Kg PL 1500Kg PL

All the data is from Wiki. The interesting part is the Payload. For a relatively lighter missile for its range compared to A3, A5 should have a similar payload capability. Couldnt understand the low weight.

JMHT.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

The extra PL will be revealed when MIRV arrives. ;)
and you forgot the range which is inversely proportional to PL
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

a communist party fellow who is a china lover teased me about the size of Agni and Giant missiles of chin

My respectful comment :
Even if you calll it a fifth leg of donkey, jungle ka raja sher hi hota hai jiskla mijjile kaafi chhota hota hai.

People know where size matters!
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

SaiK wrote:The extra PL will be revealed when MIRV arrives. ;)
and you forgot the range which is inversely proportional to PL
I thought about it but arent we forgetting that it was tested with a single warhead config and having a 1.5 ton conventional payload isnt what this missile isnt supposed to carry. My only issue was with the dimensions. Dont want to comment on this further. Let there be some purdah untill its official.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

MN Kumar wrote:There seems to be some info that's not right about Agni 5 specs when you compare it with its predecessor Agn3.
Thought the A5 has got lot of new stuff like the composite motors and other new guidance stuff but still thats inside. From the outside and I mean the dimensions of both the missiles seem pretty similar. For comparison sake:

Agni 3 Agni 5
48Tons 50Tons
17Mtrs 17.5Mtrs
2M Dia 2M Dia
2500Kg PL 1500Kg PL

All the data is from Wiki. The interesting part is the Payload. For a relatively lighter missile for its range compared to A3, A5 should have a similar payload capability. Couldnt understand the low weight.

JMHT.
They will replace Steel with Composites in all stages which will increase the fuel capacity in lower stages and the throw weight will increase. You will begin to love this day when you see the final product.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

MNK, Its the nature of whats in the payload. The A3: 2.5 tonne is super heavy maal. The A5 has same yield with different design. And both are guided re-entry. Gives the planners flexibility. Super heavy is to take out targets in its range.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

ramana ji, we have 200 kt 800 kg stuff which i believe is pretty sloika which is what is carried in A3. So you get cheap & best maal for first timer.

Also we find some mention of more expensive stuff with 'x' kt in 400 kg * 5 warheads spoken of now in the light of A5. Somewhat more expensive maal with better coverage and lesser risk as we grow along.

Organic growth I would say.

Impactwise I believe both would be pretty much the same.
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

Thanks Ravi & Ramana. Was just thinking loud.
Saw an interview of Dr.Saraswat by a Telugu News channel guy. Buggers cant even ask questions properly. Was asking how its going to make Bangladesh and China nervous. For gods sake why BD?
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Reaction from Russian Press on Agni-5 test

The Friendly Indian Intercontinental Missile
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

another strategic aspect of what tessy did was the hyphenation now being owned by international community from India to many nations.. this is the awesome part of tessy. the old hyphenation theory is forgotten history, and i am pretty positve only in movies it might come by and not in real politics. from that perspective, tesssy is a political game changer.

i am ashamed mms gov just ingored this, and emphasizing on the aspects where it wants to be measure against. i understand, about dhoti-shiver aspects, but this gov is so meek in even using the organic approach (forget spade calling sapde stuff) to wards realizing, how much importance India stands in building an uni-polar world.

with prolonged appraoch to mirvs, anti-sats, and other demonostrated capabilities, we could be actually re-writting unsc configuration itself and absolve it.

few moon and mars mission, and all those drdo technologies starts entering civilian main stream, and poor begins to feel rich, is when these age old buddas will realize,, oh we had such good youngsters, and we lost them to time.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Chuhina And Elephant
A Little Insecure About Their Hard Power
China's reaction to India's longer-ranged missile test is a couple double entendres away from an Onion piece. Said the Chinese:While the Indian media dubbed it a "China-killer", state-run Chinese newspapers mocked the latest Indian missile, the Agni-V, calling it a "dwarf" compared to China's own missiles.I see. Soft power is out. Hard power is in. And China's hard power is much bigger than India's "dwarf" missiles. Okey dokey. Onion? Have at it.The Chinese also mocked the car India drives belittled India's army:
"Without an adequate tank corps and a heavy-duty land force with adequate heavy weapons, it can hardly become a so-called 'China killer' by relying solely on nuclear weapons," he said.A good point. Nukes aren't enough. But India's armored force is quite formidable. The Chinese shouldn't assume that their army can take down India's except in a well-prepared surprise attack for a local objective that China can then end at their discretion before India can mobilize.And this is downright disturbing given China's support for North Korea's attempt to become a nuclear missile power:Similar views were echoed by Gao Zugui of the Institute of International Strategic Studies, who said: "Despite giving a little support, it was right in saying that if it really wants to become a great nation, each of its families should have a toilet first."Please. The North Koreans even call their missiles No-Dong. Talk about issues. If only Pyongyang had decided to develop their own little red sports car instead.Oh, and how many Chinese still live in caves? Huh. One must have priorities and India is far from the only country in the region to decide national defense is necessary.But with China sparking hard power reactions from just about every nation near them, I guess that Peking has given up on that vaunted soft power that we were once told was going to lose us all our allies in the region. Remember the Chinese message in this whole thing: Chinese nuclear missiles huge! Indian missiles so small that China won't even feel the impact.
Apparently, size does matter
( IMHO, The biggest impact of A5 is Chuhina soft power illusion is gone and now Indians will make them loose hard power illusion too)
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

SaiK wrote:So, to summarize, Tessy has put china into tissy!

More like Tessy has put China into a hissy fit!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Philip More than the range etc what made the Chuhinas nervous is the report of the fuze functioning. That means all those debates are over and the armed forces have accepted the configuration. Hence they joined he Northern flight infantry.

Also did anyone notice the Chinese talking about lack of toilets in India!!!

IOW they joined the desi secular brigade.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Which report talks about the toilets in India
kasthuri
BRFite

Post by kasthuri »

chackojoseph wrote:Agni - 5 range problem :D
Seriously, is there a way to increase the accuracy other than by increasing the payload? Can the guidance systems be made more reliable?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Jhujar wrote:Chuhina And Elephant
A Little Insecure About Their Hard Power
China's reaction to India's longer-ranged missile test is a couple double entendres away from an Onion piece. Said the Chinese:.....

Similar views were echoed by Gao Zugui of the Institute of International Strategic Studies, who said: "Despite giving a little support, it was right in saying that if it really wants to become a great nation, each of its families should have a toilet first."Please. ....
All Beijing IISS can say is India needs more toilets!

This when they use human waste as fertilizer for food products.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

kasthuri wrote:
chackojoseph wrote:Agni - 5 range problem :D
Seriously, is there a way to increase the accuracy other than by increasing the payload? Can the guidance systems be made more reliable?

Kasthuri, I don't know which old coot Chacko was talking to. The RLG and MNGS accuracy is not range related. They don't drift with distance! Its new generation guidance not mechanical spinning gyros where the friction causes the gyros to drift and error to accumulate with distance!!! No friction/viction its all light and mirrors.
MNGS works using MEM sensors to back the RLG. MEMs are solid state inertial sensors and rate gyros where again there is no friction caused drift.

As I said before A5 is not "Your grandfathers Oldsmobile!" as the ad goes.

Thanks for expressing your concern for I could answer it!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Austin wrote:Can show anti-satellite capability if govt gives nod: DRDO chief
“An anti-satellite system requires a good boost capability. Something like 800 km (into space). If you can reach that and have the guiding capabilities it can be done. The Agni V has demonstrated the boost capability,” Saraswat said, adding that a kill vehicle could be attached to the missile to target a satellite.

He elaborated that India has already demonstrated that it has the guidance capability required through its series of anti ballistic missile tests that have been carried out over the past few years.

What can be done is shoot down an obsolete ISRO satellite as it runs out of fuel and deorbits posing a problem for other space craft.

Singha would appreciate the nuance!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

There is another lady scientist who enable composites manufacture for missile structures.
She is earlier batch then Mrs Thomas.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

Acharya wrote:Which report talks about the toilets in India

the machine translated Chinese version of global times report posted by Suraj a while back and which seems to have a collation of various Chinese analyst views has a reference to toilets within the first 5 pages.
Actually there are many other juicy tidbits but the translation runs beyond 30 pages so I gave up after 5.
Suraj wrote:Global Times Chinese article on A-V, through machine translation. We need to strive to read their Chinese language articles, not the tamer English ones.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

‘Missile Woman’ on to next challenge
HYDERABAD: Tessy Thomas, project director for Agni IV and a senior scientist behind the launch of Agni V, is already back at work preparing for the Multiple Independent Re-Entry Vehicles (MIRV) of Agni V that will make a second strike possible.

"We have certain technologies to work on", Tessy Thomas, top scientist at the Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL), told STOI. Tessy played a crucial role as project director for Agni V. When Agni V was test-fired on April 19 at Wheeler Island, Odisha, excited scientists lifted the top brass on their shoulders to celebrate the big event. "I may not have been lifted up but I was literally dancing on my feet," Tessy said.
:
:
: