Indian Army : News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army : News and Discussion

Post by krisna »

VKS is like Abhimanyu going into the battle without ever getting victory.
He will be crucified and demolished completely so that any other institutional chief/govt functionary will never dare question the cartel in future.

"honest" incorruptibly corrupt men in high position keeping their hands on head in despair.
2g silent as they have been in the past.
their chelas going ballastic in the media like rabid dogs attacking anyone without any provocation.
paid media doing their jobs of tarnishing anyone questioning the corrupt govt.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

In the beginning I was thinking that why didn't he take action when RM asked him to but now I don't even care about that I'm just loving the way he is shafting the govt. for all the humiliations they made him go through. Truly this commando lives by the saying "Mushkil waqt Commando sakht". The way he has kicked the hornets nest it is going to leave a mark in history. His actions speaks for itself why the CON govt. doesn't want him their.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Pranav wrote:Maloy Krishna Dhar (formerly of the Intelligence Bureau) tweets:
Maloy ‏ @maloy39
Tatra owner Rishi no stranger to controversy. Media friends: INT PAPA says 30% of skush go to Mahatma family

https://twitter.com/#!/maloy39/status/1 ... 1719175169
Who is INT PAPA?
My guess: INT PAPA== International Paparazzi i.e. rumours floating in international media.

--------
What is the one thing that thieves don't like, while they are in the process of stealing?
Ans: Someone switches the lights on and makes lots of noise(chor, chor...) and wakes up the whole neighbourhood.

What is the one thing that a corrupt system and corrupt guys does not like?
Ans: Some highranking official going public and exposing the corruption.

And this is exactly what Mr. VKS has done. So, my thumbs up to him.

---------
About the motivations of Mr. VKS:

Lets take the worst case scenario and assume that VKS is only raising this issue to get back at the Govt for DOB issue: Even then, I still will support VKS because he has come out and exposed the rot(the trail going all the way to the top). He threatens to stop the whole gravy train that has been going jolly well for years now. He made public the corruption that has been systemized by the sanction and participation of the most powerful politicos in India. In short, we can view VKS as an approver who is now exposing the criminal mafia. Obviously, the criminal mafia is enraged. BTW, there is a hint here: If Anthony is indeed wanting to clean the system but is unable to due to the involvement of Gs, then he can also go public and expose the culprits. He can also turn approver and do a great service to the nation instead of mulling in the dark and keeping the country in the dark.

Now, the best case scenario and assume that VKS is and has been fighting corruption from the start of his tenure: The logical question that would be raised is why go public now? In this scenario, the explanation can be that VKS has tried to clean the system within his tenure as much as he can. But was unable to completely do it. He knew that after he went the people to succeed him in his post will be more than happy to continue with the tradition of corruption. So, before his tenure ended, he went public and spoiled the party of the corrupt. Here, he can be seen as a whistle-blower.

----
About the timing:
The timing is tricky. Always. Regardless of when such revelations are made public, his opponents will always question the timing. Why now?

In a corrupt system(where corruption is pervasive and is facilitated from the very top), there is no correct time for revelations. No time is the best time. Any whistle-blower has to decide for himself when he can take on all the crap that his opponents will sling on him, and all the pressures that will be put on him.

It is one of the reasons why I would say Sri VKS has been courageous in going public with his exposures.

-----
The issue:
I think what VKS says in interview is very important. What he is saying is that the corruption has been going for a long time and that it may continue to do so for a long time(unless it is cleaned). It is not about one defence deal or about one Minister or general. It is bigger. While the 2Gs may be the prime beneficiaries, it is not limited to them. Many more politicians and parties may be involved directly or indirectly. The closing of ranks of politicians on this issue is quite interesting in this regard. The same happened during Anna Hazare's drive against corruption. So, when can safely deduce that whenever the issue of corruption is raised, politicians will close ranks regardless of the parties and affiliations. I don't want to trivialize the role of Cons(Gs) in here by blaming all politicians. I believe Cons have created a system and others parties are participants. Cons are the Gabbar Singh, while the others are Kalias and Sambas. Taking out Gabbar Singh will automatically take care of Kalias and Sambas to a large extent.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Never thought mil forum will be the place to discuss corruption!
tejas
BRFite

Post by tejas »

^^^ It shouldn't have to be, boss. :(
KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

From A sting in the general’s tale
like the one who not too long ago held this post and was known for shedding tears usually for the camera, adorning his golf cart with the four stars of his rank, and deploying a large contingent of soldiers from his parent infantry unit at his residence to help run his wife’s textile fashions and export business
Anybody know who this maharathi was ?
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

johneeG wrote:My guess: INT PAPA== International Paparazzi i.e. rumours floating in international media.
Probalby INT PAPA mean Inteligence chief/head. Maloy is ex-RAW chief.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

You mean IB dy director.
Could be.

Meanwhiel Renuka Chowdhary speaking about VKS and national security!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Can someone post direct quotes of Mr. Brajesh Mishra said about VKS issues?

Thanks, ramana
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

ramana wrote:Never thought mil forum will be the place to discuss corruption!
More specifically Corruption in the military. :evil: :twisted: :(

I am wondering the resistance in IA regarding indigenous products -- is it really due to corruption amongst the imported ones and not to the quality of Indian products itself.

Indian products do not get massive kickbacks and influence in foreign lands and junkets etc. Not to forget the natashas and julies etc. :mrgreen:
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

ramana wrote:Can someone post direct quotes of Mr. Brajesh Mishra said about VKS issues?

Thanks, ramana
from twitter --sonia singh of undie tv
Brajesh Mishra on NDTV:'Does General VK Singh think he's in Pakistan,he's gone berserk. In a democracy, the civilian authority is in charge'
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

What civil about Indian democracy?

So BM is calling Gen. VKS a Paki and gone beserk!

Last time the INC showed a general his place, it led to 1962 debacle and BM types were running to US for air force etc.

Besides BM coterie have made India into a banana republic with the excess corruption and shutting up those who speak out.
anjan
BRFite

Post by anjan »

krisna wrote: More specifically Corruption in the military. :evil: :twisted: :(

I am wondering the resistance in IA regarding indigenous products -- is it really due to corruption amongst the imported ones and not to the quality of Indian products itself.

Indian products do not get massive kickbacks and influence in foreign lands and junkets etc. Not to forget the natashas and julies etc. :mrgreen:
In this particular case it's easy to see the rot originates at a PSU, BHEL. Within the Army corruption is easier in the Support arms. In the combat arms people are at the least aware of weapon capabilities. So practically everyone in the Army knew that Arty was diddled with the Bofors scam. With a lot of weapons that people on the forum rail about, you should see the breadth of disappointment across the lower levels of the Army. People with nothing material to gain from it. That's not a result of corruption, that's just bad products.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

sudeepj
BRFite

Post by sudeepj »

KrishnaK wrote:From A sting in the general’s tale
like the one who not too long ago held this post and was known for shedding tears usually for the camera, adorning his golf cart with the four stars of his rank, and deploying a large contingent of soldiers from his parent infantry unit at his residence to help run his wife’s textile fashions and export business
Anybody know who this maharathi was ?
J. J Singh.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

For those who say "why didn't Gen. VKS bring this up before? Why was he sitting on this for the last 18 months? etc", I say now is the right time. If he had blown the whistle at the beginning of his tenure, he would not have been able to do all the good things he has done during his tenure. Now he has lifted the curtain on the sleaze on his way out.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Do the members see a strategy to VKS moves? Or is it out of pique as the politicians say? Also there is a specific bunch of politicians who go after him stating various reasons! But there is a common factor to all of them. You see them unite whenever there is talk of third front, secular forces,elections etc.
peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

chackojoseph wrote:Peter,
Clearly for point a) you believe it is Anthony's fault.
For b) what stopped Anthony from ordering a CBI inquiry back then? If VKS disobeyed direct orders then Anthony is spineless as VKS should have been sacked. What you are saying is VKS disobeys a direct order, Anthony the defence minister is so helpless he cannot order a CBI inquiry eventhough his COAS is telling him that he was offered a 14 crore bribe! Now an year later the General himself goes to the press and Anthony orders the inquiry.

Do you see how preposterous your belief about Anthony's innocence is?
I hope you realize, as every one else has, that it is the General who took the matter to the press and not Anthony.

How on earth this is VKS's fault is beyond me.
Is it still not clear?
have already given my POV "repeatedly". If you cannot understand, let us skip this. You can indulge yourself. As I understand, you have no credible arguments to my POV and hence you are trying "I don't understand" line repeatedly. You are asking same questions again and again and again, and when replied, you pretend not understand.
No. You are saying General VKS did not do what Anthony said.
See here:
b) Post of Army Chief was attempted to be bribed and VKS left the alleged accused scot free, there by creating an atmosphere where in future anyone can drop in and offer a bribe to the Army chief. he refused the orders of his senior and there by refusing to bring in the material witness to the case.
This is a case of insubordination. Imagine VKS did not obey Anthony in a war?

Why did Anthony, if we believe you and Anthony, allow General to continue in office? Infact I would rate this as Anthony's biggest fault.

What is "repeatedly" about this?
chackojoseph wrote:
So now are we to believe that Anthony did not sack VKS is a mark of his greatness? Or do you believe the version anthony is peddaling and you are believing may have holes in it? Like asking a question who brought this matter to the public? VKS or Anthony?

Ask yourself why would a defence minister sit on a report of a 14 crore bribe to his COAS from his COAS.
Where did sacking question come up? Where did you invent this from? the minister sitting on a report? which report? a verbal report that COAS would not act upon?
No. It was spelled out clearly. You just choose to ignore it. If Anthony tells VKS to *TAKE ACTION* and VKS refuses, is this insubordination or not? Furthermore imagine this disobeying takes place in an actual war. Could Anthony allow VKS to continue as he did? Why?

See since you want to blame VKS at any cost you have wool on your eyes and it won't let you see the fallacy of your own arguments.
chackojoseph wrote:
Nonsense. This is foot in the mouth. If India really had an honest investigative system then it would be clear why Anthony sat on his back side and did nothing. Come on how can an honest defence minster sleep when he knows that his COAS has been offered a bribe of 14 crores? Especially if the same COAS , as you assert, disobeyed a direct order. This should have been an even stronger reason to launch a CBI probe.
Do you know the definition of 'foot in mouth'? Can you explain how this situation is foot in mouth?
That is too easy. Anthony says he acted on anonymous complaints but he did not act on the complaint of his COAS made in his own office! This is plain stupid!
chackojoseph wrote:
No selective reading. You are highly biased in your assessment of Anthony for reasons best known to you.

Anthony is not consistent in his behavior. People of integrity are very consistent in their behavior.
This is your personal opinion. I have noted it "repeatedly" and disagree.
Not personal opinion. It is based on facts. You on the other hand hide behind "repeatedly" and "have answered before".
chackojoseph wrote:
Up until the point of your above quote, you were misinformed and could have entertained the view that VKS allowed the loot. Once it was pointed out that VKS cancelled the contract immediately and thus there was no loot for two years, your assertion of equal blame should have fallen to the ground. But perhaps you did not want to back down from your public position.
The information was not available and when i was told i understood. I will "repeat" this "VKS has done a good job which is my first even post about this whole matter. Go back and read.

I still believe that AK Antony is an honest defence minister and VKS an honest Army chief. In addition to his fault in this situation, it is as much fault of VKS.
Look there is no honesty in defence minister when he is not worried about a 14 crore bribe to his COAS. Though you are beginning to sound more and more like an indcotrinated person for whom a held belief, devoid of any logic, will reign supreme.
peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

ramana wrote:Do the members see a strategy to VKS moves? Or is it out of pique as the politicians say? Also there is a specific bunch of politicians who go after him stating various reasons! But there is a common factor to all of them. You see them unite whenever there is talk of third front, secular forces,elections etc.
My feeling is that General VKS probably tried his best to get it sorted internally and when he was stone walled repeatedly he just decided to do something about it without worrying for personal consequences.

Your higher up (read Anthony) not answering or saying a no would put lesser mortals in their place because they would dare not go against their superior and the whole GOI machinery. This is what Anthony and GOI were hoping.

But they found out to their utter surprise that General is not going to bend over backwards to please them.

Happened repeatedly:
a) He pushed back AFSPA non sense.
b) Cancelled Tatra trucks
c) Did not let corrupt people like Tejinder SIngh get important posts.
d) Refused bribes and informed Anthony about bribes who just sat on the complaint perhaps as you say to protect the Congress royal family.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

a) I am ashamed to be an Indian, when a upright officer like VKS is hounded by all and sundry. I agree that he is like Abhimanyu and will keep of fighting a losing battle. Once the protection of his office gets over, we will hear that VKS did not pay income tax for the income he had obtained by selling a buffalo in 1979, so who is he to talk abt corruption.

b) also ashamed to see reaction of BJP's Mr Jaitley !! he says I thank Mr Anthony for assuring in strongest possible words the safety and security of India. If only words could ensure safety and security of a country, India would have been the most secure country in the world. With a MOD and RM who does not difference between a barrel and butt ( and a parliament full of crooks) , the safety of India is well ensured.

c) the clean AKA could have ordered the enquiry once he heard from VKS? what stopped him is something no body is asking?

d) the DPSU's are like the jagir/empire of the MOD. this is their empire. if u close their empire what will they administer? i was recently in IHC with a retiered IAS and the conversation during lunch he was having with some fellow IAS wallas was very instructive abt their attitude and thinking. the less said the better. As a analogy if u close Air India what will Min of Civil Aviation do? this is their jagir. tHey grant jobs to frnds, make use of their excellent guest houses, get wonderful gifts, can make foreign trips etc etc.. So why should they every close their jagir/empire?

e) a senior retired IAF officer I know was recently narrating an incident abt HAL. HAL has some units which undertake maintenance of IAF aircrafts. Now every year HAL generates a plan which indicates its capacity for maintenance in terms of manhours. So units X of HAL can generate 5000 manhours of maintenance , UNit Y can generate say 3000 manhours of maintenance in a year etc. So the total capcacity of HAL in manhrs is say 8000 manhrs. However HAL was charging IAF for 32000 hrs ( 4X). This practice continued for a long time since no one in IAF saw this aberration. Then someone in IAF pointed this out and this became a major flashpoint between iAf and MOD. A brazen daylight robbery was being committed on IAF by MOD and its units. After much fight and acrimony and IAF standing its ground , IAF paid for the planned HAL maintenance capacity. The MOD was furious but could do little. The then HAl chairman, i think it was AM goodman told the concerned IAF officer that his job as chairman is shaky on account of this. To this the concerned IAF officer said ' I am loyal to the same IAF to whom u Am goodman have been loyal for so many years". And AM goodman the fine man he was smiled and patted the back of this IAF officer. Now some people will understand why there is no money for modernisation..and how daylight robbery is committed just to make the MOD look good. The MOD IMHO is the biggest threat to national security.

f) anybody defending MOD here is committting high treason IMHO. this country is safe inspite of MOD, RM and his cohorts and the parliamentarian is because there are still few good people standing... who are willing to die. VKS ki jai..
tejas
BRFite

Post by tejas »

It is not just defense PSUs but all PSUs that allow easy political manipulation and corruption potential. No wonder "reforms" are so slow.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

peter,

I am done with it. I do not see anything that you have typed there is something you have done after reading and you are resorting to same old 'selective' quoting to go on and on and on. That, you are lacing with personal biased opinion and non events. Since you have been persistently displaying this tactics, I will allege that you are exhibiting a malafide motive behind this. I have explained repeatedly on my POV and now I want to move forward with this discussion.

To all,

IMHO, you might not find there is a corruption allegation in BEML's dealings too. If anyone wants to understand this logic?
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

i am talking from a national security POV in terms of impact... BEML screwing india is far worse than SAIL...though both are bad...
peter
BRFite

Post by peter »

chackojoseph wrote:peter,

I am done with it. I do not see anything that you have typed there is something you have done after reading and you are resorting to same old 'selective' quoting to go on and on and on. That, you are lacing with personal biased opinion and non events. Since you have been persistently displaying this tactics, I will allege that you are exhibiting a malafide motive behind this. I have explained repeatedly on my POV and now I want to move forward with this discussion.
Chacko Uncle,
There is no selective quoting. You can't erase what you have written. When someone points that out to you it makes you uncomfortable because of your held beliefs.

This discussion was over when I saw your first post on this topic. But I still wanted to see how indoctrinated you were. Now it is clear.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

It is interesting that the congees are not repeating VKS' use of the term "high treason". Apparently there are laws on the books that make it an offense punishable by death.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

peter wrote:
chackojoseph wrote:peter,

Chacko Uncle,
There is no selective quoting. You can't erase what you have written. When someone points that out to you it makes you uncomfortable because of your held beliefs.

This discussion was over when I saw your first post on this topic. But I still wanted to see how indoctrinated you were. Now it is clear.
Peter Uncle,

If some ever pointed out mistakes in my arguments, or in my articles, I have immediately changed it. I am sure a lot of the folks on forum will vouch for it.

You have a malafide interest. I understood this in your first post where you started posting without reading what i actually wrote and meant. You displayed it repeatedly and now this is confirmed.

Pranav,
It is interesting that the congees are not repeating VKS' use of the term "high treason". Apparently there are laws on the books that make it an offense punishable by death.
He is sure that he has not leaked it and he has called it high treason. So, the person who has played the dirty trick will be now scurrying for cover. VKS has raised the stakes in this.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

johneeG wrote:[quote"Pranav"]Maloy Krishna Dhar (formerly of the Intelligence Bureau) tweets:
Maloy ‏ @maloy39
Tatra owner Rishi no stranger to controversy. Media friends: INT PAPA says 30% of skush go to Mahatma family

https://twitter.com/#!/maloy39/status/1 ... 1719175169
Who is INT PAPA?

My guess: INT PAPA== International Paparazzi i.e. rumours floating in international media.

maloy39 Maloy
@frontierindia INT PAPA IS MY pseudo name
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

Sanku wrote: Brajesh Mishra also backstabbed the nation on 123 by quitely undermining the official BJP position by making statements against it.

Maybe ABV could use this guy, but without him, god only knows which interests he serves.
It's not Brajesh alone. Jaitley and Advani would also protect the Congress. Just the other day Advani was apologizing to Sonia over an official BJP document on black money in foreign tax havens.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

krisna wrote:Retd Admiral Ramdas supporting the good general. To file a PIL petition in court.

What makes AKA afraid of 2g.
Same goes for MMS.
Both are in their 70s, likely last political innings before retiring to non political life.
They will be doing the greatest service to our nation if they really put the scums in their place.

Are there any family blacksheep in either AKA or MMS thru' which 2g coterie are threatening?

Now that CBI enquiry has been ordered, it will be whittled to let off 2g role completely.
It is not that what I'm going to reveal is something which all of you don't know. It is only on how you want to see it - Connections.

When an Italian lady became DIL to the first family of India, all in laws in the family died as well as all opponents in the Congress. When the daughter of the same DIL got married to another family, all in laws of that family died too in mysterious fashion. When it happens one time, it can be normal, when the same is repeated.....It is human tendency to see the Connections. Every one fears for their lives. AKA and MMS are small flies in that.

Is that fear instilled only in her opponents in Congress party members? No. People here talk about Brajesh Mishra as family loyalists in BJP. Is he the only one? To bring out a discussion happened earlier...
a source told me , Do you see a change with the new BJP president?
Me: Yeah, he looks like Amul baba; the contest is equally poised between this Amul baba and Amul baby.
Source: No, his outburst against the Italian lady which is considered to be a welcome change. Advani, the more vocal and prominent head of BJP, do always have a tiff with MMS, but he never done that to the Italian lady.
like that there are many tidbits......If anyone wants to, one can always sees the Connections. Human mind is designed that way, all one needs to have is open mind.
Last edited by Kanson on 30 Mar 2012 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Now that the new COAS has been announced ahead of the normal norms usually.
The present COAS -VKS have to inform the new future COAS- Bikram Singh of all decisions he make till his tenure ends.
This immensely helps the looters and 2g.
Now the new COAS is the beneficiary of earlier scam due to dob controversy--

1) If the new COAS wilfully played along the dotted lines in this scam, then VKS is toast. All the efforts of VKS will come to a naught and 2g/cartel will heave a huge sigh of relief.
2) If the new chief is made of sterner stuff and is a bystander gaining due to fate, then he will care out the cleaning of corruption.

Considering the possibilities, the cartel may allow COAS-VKS to complete his tenure and hand over the charge to the new chief.

Here RM/PM will earn kudos from paid media and cartel saying that they were not vindictive towards VKS. they allowed him lot of freedom fight corruption.
Their halos are intact, made greater by paid media.

Every looter wins and nation poorer.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Kanson wrote:
a source told me , Do you see a change with the new BJP president?
Me: Yeah, he looks like Amul baba; the contest is equally poised between this Amul baba and Amul baby.
Source: No, his outburst against the Italian lady which was considered to be welcome change. Advani, the more vocal and prominent head of BJP, do always have a tiff with MMS, but he never done that in the same tone to the Italian lady.
like that there are many tidbits......If you want to, you can always see the Connections. Human mind is designed that way, all you need to have is open mind.
This is OT... But Lal Krishna Advani : The (Pig) Iron Man
Today, he apologised to Sonia Gandhi for his parties report on Gandhi family holding Swiss account.
A lot is being said abt Defence Minister, what about Advani?
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

^ Is that question directed to me?
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

No Kason. My POV. Have I challenged anyone in a debate? I accidentally got into this VKS AKA debate. I just wanted to my POV an go away.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

^ No issues. Discussions we have here are merely some exchange of information without any scoring points - I treat it that way. Thanks.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

Gen V K Singh uncovers Armsgate Scam
Geopolitical notes from India
M D Nalapat

Delhi is the nest of no fewer than six dozen international arms dealers, and they are the most desirable of friends to have in the national capital of what is effectively the world’s fourth-largest economy. Every week, each of them throws at least one if not more parties, at which liquor flows in the same profusion was water into bathtubs. The pot-bellied, ageing politicians and civil servants - now joined by a smattering of those in uniform - in attendance do not bring their wives along, for in such gatherings, there are numerous charming young ladies who attach themselves to the powerful attendees throughout the evening. What they whisper into the ancient, unsightly ears of the senior civil servants, select military brass and politician is not known, but whatever it be, the honeyed tone is effective.

Contract after contract gets awarded in profusion to the lucky hosts, who are usually called upon to design tender specifications in such a way that only their chosen candidate will get selected. The name of the game is to frame the rules and the conditions in such a way that the rest of the pack gets eliminated Thus, in the selection of the $11 billion contract for the MMRCA (Medium Multi-role Combat Aircraft) ,the single-engined Saab Gripen was excluded “because it has a single engine and is therefore less safe than twin-engined aircraft”. The reality, of course, is that statistics show that twin-engined combat aircraft are no safer than those with single engines. Saab being bankrupt, the entire company could have been bought over for the price of the 126-aircraft deal, thereby enabling India to gain access to advanced technology as well as providing it with a platform that can enable Delhi to enter the field of sale of defense aircraft, the way China is already doing.

In contrast, the Dassault Rafaele (which key circles in Delhi had told this columnist was the chosen craft, nine months before the selection was made public) involves no significant transfer of technology. The company remains French, and has indeed been saved from financial collapse by the huge Indian order, although no other country in the world has bought the Rafaele, save its captive market, France. Even the GCC countries, who are normally very obliging in such matters, have not touched the Rafaele, despite strenous efforts by the Sarkozy government to get them to buy the aircraft. However,the French President has succeeded in India, perhaps because of the persuasive abilities of his Italian-born wife Carla, who shares such roots with the all-powerful Congress President, Sonia (Maino) Gandhi France is indeed experiencing a bonanza from India. Not only has it managed to rescue Dassault through the MMRCA purchase (which flouts commonsense, because the Rafaele is comprehensively inferior to the fifth-generation aircraft being developed by China), but a total of more than $6 billion has been spent on purchasing French submarines, again vessels that are no match for the nuclear-powered vessels of the PLA Navy.

Although there have been numerous corruption allegations against key French companies such as Thales, this has not prevented them from landing juicy contracts in India, a country where French women are much admired for their proficiency in aerobic exercises. As icing on the cake, in telecom as well as in the field of nuclear reactors, other French enterprises have landed, or are in the process of finalising, contracts worth several billion dollars each. The common link in all that is that the money for such expenditure comes from the Indian taxpayer. Clearly a case of the poor feeding the rich, in that India could have had a flourishing defense production industry, if its policymakers had not been determined to acquire only foreign platforms and systems. For more than three decades, successive governments have talked of “indigenisation”, but in 2012,more than 81% of critical defense equipment is sourced from foreign suppliers, even trucks, of which the private sector in India is an international supplier. You will find Tata or Leyland or Mahindra vehicles in much greater profusion in foreign countries than in the Indian military, which wears a distinctly foreign look.

In the most expensive beauty parlours of Delhi or Mumbai, where an hour can cost more than $300, you can find the wives and daughters of not only politicians, officials and businesspersons (the usual suspects) but of senior military brass. Indeed, the lifestyles of some of the retired senior brass of the three services is such as would rival that of a prince, complete with multiple airconditioners and Audi and BMW cars littering the garages. Of course, nobody from the Income-tax department asks just how a retired military officer can afford such luxuries on his pension. For the record, they form “consultancy” companies. In common with the wives of senior officials and politicians, who earn huge “consultancy” fees without having knowledge of anything other kitty parties, the spouses of certain military officers have substantial income from companies that apparently pay them to go twice a week to the beauty parlour. The lifestyles of some retired super-senior military officers is clearly too opulent for them to have made the money they spend ethically, and yet no action gets taken against them.

After all, they are just joining a very populous club, that of crooked officers and politicians, that include some of the biggest names in Delhi. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has become a figure of fun in social media, with acerbic comments about his incapacity (if not unwillingness) to take action to stem graft. Another honest but ineffective individual is Defense Minister A K Antony, who presides over a ministry that is among the most corrupt in the country. Now they are under pressure, and all because of an honest officer who refused to go the way of some of his predecessors and amass wealth. The present Chief of Army Staff, General V K Singh, is a misfit in a post where there are so many opportunities for enrichment, and so much punishment in case one remains honest. He has gone public about being offered a $3 million bribe by a vehicle manufacturer, and has proof of the offer in the form of tapes. However, what is likely is that the CBI, the Central Bureau of Investigation ( more correctly known as the Congress Bureau of Intimidation) will doctor and destroy the tapes given to them, so as to enable well-connected fixers and lobbyists to escape. The CBI is unlikely to undertake a genuine probe into what may be called India’s Armsgate scam, for fear of angering politicians at the very top of national life.

In India, an “honest” government is that where only 50% of decisions get auctioned to the highest (illegal) bidder, while the rest get taken based on official perceptions of public need. A “crooked” government is where 70% of decisions get auctioned and only 30% get taken for reasons of perceived public interest. In Sonia Gandhi’s India, the estimate is that the central government auctions 90% of decisions,leaving only 10% to be decided on grounds of merit. It is this intolerable spike in corruption that has finally roused a usually somnolent public to fury. Of course ,the arms merchants and their beneficiaries are fighting back, smearing the names of whistle-blowers and using the legal system to file frivolous and vexatious litigation to stop them from uncovering or reporting on graft. General Singh is under attack not only by the riuling parties but by the Opposition. After all, when they were in power, they too fed at the same filthy trough as those on the ruling side are now doing. However, the tide seems to be turning against them. One after the other, facts are tumbling out. By standing up against corruption in the Defense Ministry, General V K Singh is helping to make India more secure.

—The writer is Vice-Chair, Manipal Advanced Research Group, UNESCO Peace Chair & Professor of Geopolitics, Manipal University, Haryana State, India.

http://pakobserver.net/detailnews.asp?id=147583
Last edited by Pranav on 30 Mar 2012 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

DNA exclusive: Antony was aware of Tatra scam since ’09 - http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_dn ... 09_1669171
Defence minister AK Antony was formally apprised of the Tatra trucks scam as early as 2009 but he turned a blind eye. DNA detailed this scam in a series of investigative stories in July 2011.

This assumes significance because Antony recently told Parliament that he didn’t act when army chief General VK Singh told him he was offered a Rs14 crore bribe to clear the purchase of a tranche of substandard Tatra trucks because he didn’t get a ‘written complaint’.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

^^^^
If a ‘written complaint’ is what it takes to act, why didn’t Antony or his ministry react when Ghulam Nabi Azad, a senior Congress party colleague and then health minister, wrote to him on behalf of Sonia Gandhi requesting “necessary action” in the Tatra matter? DNA has a copy of Azad’s letter dated October 5, 2009.
It has been over two years since and no formal investigation followed that initial response.

Interesting that senior g made her chelas write the letter. But still nothing came out of it. gs are off the hook is'nt it ! :evil:
RM still is honest because he dutifully sent it to be investiigated.
If the investigation does not reveal anything he should not be blamed.
His reputation is intact and spotless. :rotfl: :rotfl:
The question is will he resign or fight and destroy the scums who made his life miserable and personal intergity royaly phu*ked.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

DNA Says
The letter has specific references to the Indian Army’s lack of preparedness vis-a-vis China and it speaks volumes about the bureaucracy that is least bothered about modernising India’s defence. “China is unabashedly going ahead with developing infrastructure on the Tibetan Autonomous Region (TAR)”, but the Indian Army’s presence is “far from satisfactory”. In fact, the army chief took great pains to explain to the prime minister that “there has been no perceptible difference in the state of hollowness” in India’s military preparedness.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_dn ... at_1668702
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Pranav wrote:DNA exclusive: Antony was aware of Tatra scam since ’09 - http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_dn ... 09_1669171
Defence minister AK Antony was formally apprised of the Tatra trucks scam as early as 2009 but he turned a blind eye. DNA detailed this scam in a series of investigative stories in July 2011.

This assumes significance because Antony recently told Parliament that he didn’t act when army chief General VK Singh told him he was offered a Rs14 crore bribe to clear the purchase of a tranche of substandard Tatra trucks because he didn’t get a ‘written complaint’.
IIRC, there is also a story of Rs 600 cr being charged as business services or so in an Israeli order. it was charged during AKA's tenure.