Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by pgbhat »

Qualcomm's insane CES 2013 keynote in pictures and tweets
A night of cringe worthy conversations, product demos, and music
:mrgreen:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the mmx canvas 2 cannot be found anywhere offline or online right now. it sold out. and mmx strangely keeps showing its TV ad when no stock is there, faithfuls claim a canvas 3 is inbound.

yday I gifted a samsung galaxy duos to my wife to clear the route for my own upg. I even exchanged SMS with marten saar as I was doing so, and he was in his new batcave scoping out the bang n olufssen kit layout and which jernails were his new neighbours!

the Andi 4.5h is indeed good specs/price and in stock with retailers but somehow it looks like my ex-flame - petite, fair,prim n propah, uptight, cold, unloving, academically efficient and career oriented :D - no will buy.I like the more relaxed, loving, long loose haired curved looks of the canvas type babes...inshallah the galaxyS is also like that but i cannot afford her bride price dowry in buffaloes and camels she being the chief of the village head back in his zulu kraal...ofcourse I am allowed to drool and slobber from a safe distance behind the bushes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15BRxaP1zuQ

the ad I really loved the lumia ad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM17SsaAEZA
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

pgbhat wrote:Qualcomm's insane CES 2013 keynote in pictures and tweets
I was :rotfl: :rotfl: while watching that keynote. It set a new standard for on-stage KLPD and I thought the Mickey$ Surface intro was bad :mrgreen: The best was the 3 idiots on stage "Born Mobile".
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

pgbhat wrote:Qualcomm's insane CES 2013 keynote in pictures and tweets
They make excellent products. Dont know why they are trying to be "cool"
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^That is English actress Alice Eve. Just like Bollywood, Hollywood picks up eye candy gori actresses for various roles.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

thanks Muppalla

yup I will need to install Sql server and biz talk on it since i have them on my win 7 right now

thanks again

matrimc

I read somewhere the ATIV had a 32 bit verison of Windows ????? thats a downer too
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

In that case it is being positioned as a replacement to iPad I guess. Prices have to come down to see a measre of success.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

one thing that will annoy win developers is changes to what they are used to a lot from Win 95 to Win 7. Lack of stat button and run program the way are used to. Now they have to go to all apps (Lenovo has give a nice key on the key board) and use run. The Shell for writing the command scripts is very beautiful and with rich functionality.

surya and matrimc - I will give my feedback after I apply my SQL Server and IIS, SRS etc. However, I can assure that they won't change from Win7 as for any apps that are not re-written with Metro style win8 UI they will go to the desktop app and open from there which means it is like Win7. The first real Win8 app will be MS Office 2013 which is still yet to be released.

Other than Tablet style apps there is no change except the lack of Start button.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Singha wrote:the girl is ok looking though
I think she's pretty hot personally. But then again, I have this weakness for blondes.... :)
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

I dont like her looks (face onlee I mean :mrgreen: ) - looks ravaged by regular application of excess makeup. And the expression is a total KLPD. :twisted:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

for me, it all depends on the usability.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Mort Walker wrote:
archan wrote:Anybody have experience with any NTSC to PAL converters? I have a 27'' monitor+tv combo from Samsung which I got in US but it won't work with Tata Sky HD (HDMI output). Any recommendations?

You need to find out what the HDMI output video clock rate is on the Tata Sky HD box. It may be set to 50 Hz, but it could be set to 60 Hz. Are there different settings on it that you can change the output? I assume you're able to pass the audio portion of the signal? If you use composite video output from the Tata Sky HD box, then a cheap conventional NTSC to PAL converter will help you. At 27", it is small enough screen size that it won't make a big difference and you could just go with composite video (analog) out. There are HDMI output PAL to NTSC converters, but those may be pricy.
Update : so hdmi says mode not supported but I am able to get a black and white picture from both the composite and the other analog (yellow red white) outputs. There is no sound even after connecting the white and red cables. Can this be rectified?
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

pandyan wrote:Nice buy Muppalla.

I bought a touchless lenovo win8 with ssd+hdd combo. It is blazing fast. But, had to use external mouse to bring sanity back. Win8 is good. Are you using security essentials phor your protection.
In Win 8 is Windows Defender. Currently as Lenovo gave trial version of Norton I am using that. I will remove it and just use windows defender.
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

MS security essential got very poor rating in one of the recent test. Better go for avast or something similar.

Microsoft Security Essentials Fails AV-Test Certification

When i was on windows, I used to have MS security essential, Malwarebytes anti-malware and comodo firewall. It was a good low resource hungry setup.

Also, get no-script, ad-block plus extensions for firefox and disable Java plugins.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Singha wrote:the mmx canvas 2 cannot be found anywhere offline or online right now. it sold out. and mmx strangely keeps showing its TV ad when no stock is there, faithfuls claim a canvas 3 is inbound.

yday I gifted a samsung galaxy duos to my wife to clear the route for my own upg. I even exchanged SMS with marten saar as I was doing so, and he was in his new batcave scoping out the bang n olufssen kit layout and which jernails were his new neighbours!

the Andi 4.5h is indeed good specs/price and in stock with retailers but somehow it looks like my ex-flame - petite, fair,prim n propah, uptight, cold, unloving, academically efficient and career oriented :D - no will buy.I like the more relaxed, loving, long loose haired curved looks of the canvas type babes...inshallah the galaxyS is also like that but i cannot afford her bride price dowry in buffaloes and camels she being the chief of the village head back in his zulu kraal...ofcourse I am allowed to drool and slobber from a safe distance behind the bushes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15BRxaP1zuQ

the ad I really loved the lumia ad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM17SsaAEZA
GD, here comes the successor to your beloved MMX Canvas 2 - it is going to be called as Canvas HD apparently.
Micromax A116 Canvas HD goes official with 5" screen, quad CPU
Meet the Micromax A116 Canvas HD – a dual-SIM Android phone with a 5” 720p IPS screen, quad-core processor and affordable price.

The 5" screen is a marked improvement over the A110 – the new model has 294ppi pixel density, up from 196ppi. The chipset is a big step forward too, the MediaTek MT6589 packs a quad-core Cortex-A7 CPU at 1.2GHz, 1GB of RAM and the PowerVR Series 5XT GPU.

The Micromax A116 Canvas HD runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (with a 4.2 update to come), packs an 8MP main camera and VGA front-facing camera and has 4GB of built-in storage (plus a microSD card slot). Connectivity is handled by 3G GSM, Wi-Fi b/g/n, Bluetooth and GPS. The battery capacity is 2,100mAh.

The Micromax A116 will launch in India next month for 15,000 rupees ($280)
In perhaps what is a reflection of the number of Indians surfing the web looking for phones, the MMX Canvas 2 has been the most searched phone on GSMArena for many days now!
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

Regarding Windows 8:
(1) Awesome Awesome Awesome. I really do not want to go back to Win 7 and that is the experience I have. So far I use Win 8 on my Lumia 820 but using it on Laptop is a different experience. Well thought out layout and rich user interface with smooth changes. The comment that you read negative of Win 8 are all pure and simple sour grapes.
(2) IE10 beats out any thing in both touch mode and mouse/key mode. Going to back page is touch/click on the right side and forward page is touch/click on the right side
(3) Tiles, Metro type layout is very flexible. In this framework, the apps ensure that the entire real estate is used and no menus, status bars take away the space. A touch above or just a right click or WIN+Z key stroke give you tabs for IE10
(4) The apps that are not written for Windows 8 like GTalk, they come as tiles on the start screen but when you click it takes you to the desktop app (looks like Win7). In desktop there is IE 10 that looks like the Win7 based IE.
(5) Closing apps, there is no close button and it is annoying for some but that is just a psychological problem. Microsoft's automatic garbage collector in its .NET framework is extended to apps as well. It will close for you on its own. If you want to close them you can still drag them using mouse and touch to bottom or left side and remove. You don't need to close at all.
(6) Going to search, start screens or switching apps is a 2 yr kid's work. Several options. All that you can do in IPAD can be done and there are options far more than IPAD.

Negatives: It is a touch culture and not a mouse/keyboard culture that needs to be adopted. But it is very easy with mouse and keyboard too. For some it may be annoying (sour grapes) to learn another 10 click or key commands
completely agree. from a UI perspective, mickeysoft has made a generational break through. i have been using the RT version on a surface and the experience is natural and organic i.e., cool, correct and kaam-ki-cheez (as opposed to bekaar ki jingchak).

even otherwise windows7 base OS, very happy with all the running of all my systems.

i have been a thinkpad user for close to a decade now. my lenovo experience has been no nonsense.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

This will tickle the heck out of the resident gizmo aficionados -

Google Glass (And Sergey Brin) Ride the NYC Subway
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

gene roddenberry should sue google then!!
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadge ... 60x388.jpg
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

In the pic Brin looks like some random homeless guy riding the NYC subway - hope some hobo didn't chase after him for encroaching on his turf. :mrgreen:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I have seen guys like that in nyc subway with ipod plugged in, completely oblivious to their environment. always wondered if they were on some drug or something to dull their senses (not that there is much to see in the tunnel)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

samsung is now scrambling to cover its chaddi at low end by demoing something called the grand duos.
5" (4" wvga in duos)
dual core (single core in duos)
1GB ram (512 mb ram in duos)
probably 5mp cam (same as duos)

the canvas2 specs wise beats it easily - 5" , quad core, 1gb ram, 8mp cam

but still, some brand conscious folks like women will still go for samsung like my wife did, but as for men mostly they are ok with the bigger gun whatever be it H&K or norinco or ofb-wah...so long as it fires for 2 yrs.
Last edited by Singha on 22 Jan 2013 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

every product marketing/founder/on the road munna I know has got samsung note. this one will upg the mango peepul also to 5" range and in future to 6" for sure. 6" is going to be the new normal - I know UI purists and hawks like RB will hate this..will need to sew a new larger pocket in his chaddi :)
but get with the pgm bro even NOK is shipping lumia 510 here with a 4" for 10K now....4" is now the bare min maruti alto level to play at the big table.

NEW DELHI: Micromax has claimed that it shipped more phablets - the Android phones with a screen size of over 5 inches - than Samsung in the last three months in India.

At an event, where the company announced a new phablet called Canvas HD, Micromax said that it imported over 1.98 lakh phablets in India in the months of October, November and December. In comparison, the company claimed that Samsung imported around 1.89 lakh Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note II tablets during the same period. Other players brought in over 38,000 phablets.

Deepak Mehrotra, CEO, Micromax, added, "We plan to launch 30 smartphones this year."

With a screen size of five-inches and a resolution of 720P, Micromax Canvas HD is aimed at consumers who like 'phablets' such as Samsung Galaxy Note II and HTC Butterfly but consider them too expensive.

For its price, the device packs in impressive hardware. Apart from the high resolution screen, it has a 1.2GHz quad-core processor made by MediaTek, 1GB RAM, 8 megapixel camera and 4GB internal memory with support for up to 32GB micro SD card. The device is powered by Android 4.1 aka Jelly Bean. While the quad-core processor in Canvas HD may not be as good as the quad-core chip in Butterfly or Note II, it is likely to be powerful enough to handle the average workload.

Micromax said that Canvas HD would be available in the first week of February at a price of less than Rs 15,000.

"We are excited with the success of Canvas 2, which has clearly established Micromax as number one player in the phablet category in India. We are looking forward to similar success with Canvas HD," said Mehrotra.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

what's the battery life on the S3 and notes compared to an iphone. I am tired of having to constantly be worried about this when I am out in the country where there is no power for 16 hrs and nobody else has the goddamn colossally idiotic 30 pin connector, even if they have power.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Raja Bose wrote:In the pic Brin looks like some random homeless guy riding the NYC subway - hope some hobo didn't chase after him for encroaching on his turf. :mrgreen:
Seems to be an unassuming guy. Usually tech millionaires from pee-chaddi route are like that. As opposed to other newly rich via routes like music and sports.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

------- nO pHd SAAAR... MS only for sergey.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

When did Stan award Sergey a pee-chaddi hain ji? Did they do an honorary one yet though I doubt it coz he is prolly still on their rolls listed as "on leave". :mrgreen: Even the average pee-chaddi billionaire doesn't look that scruffy....Sergey baba is truly setting a new norm since end of 2011 or so. He is a very unassuming fella.

pah! I am not switching to this naya trend of holding large slabs of glass and plastic to one's ears. Total lack of taste! :evil: :evil:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Singha wrote:I have seen guys like that in nyc subway with ipod plugged in, completely oblivious to their environment. always wondered if they were on some drug or something to dull their senses (not that there is much to see in the tunnel)
It is good that none of them returned - watchya lookin at me! watchya praablem...

once I heard these words, near by while standing .. coolly moved ahead to the next vestibule. just stayed out of troubles.

not even subway that was, just a path one nearing hoboken !
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Singha wrote:I have seen guys like that in nyc subway with ipod plugged in, completely oblivious to their environment. always wondered if they were on some drug or something to dull their senses (not that there is much to see in the tunnel)
a la Neuromancer or Snow Crash
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Ah Norinco I had a bees rupayya DVD player - this was when they were 150 bucks plus - once from the said company and was quite satisfied with the performance. Truely the Shasta "sasta" cola of the gizmo world
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Gus wrote:what's the battery life on the S3 and notes compared to an iphone. I am tired of having to constantly be worried about this when I am out in the country where there is no power for 16 hrs and nobody else has the goddamn colossally idiotic 30 pin connector, even if they have power.
Battery management is very good on S3. My friend gets 2 days out of it with regular use. So you should last atleast a day even with heavy use. I dont know about Iphone 5 battery life.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

another gap closer from Samsung

Inspired by the success of the Galaxy Note and its successor the Galaxy Note II, Samsung has launched another large-screened smartphone named "Galaxy Grand" in India. Priced at Rs 21,500, the phone features a 5-inch WVGA TFT LCD display.
The Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual SIM smartphone, which runs Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) and is powered by a 1.2 GHz Dual Core processor. The phone has an internal memory of 8GB (user memory of 4GB), which can be expanded up to 64GB via a microSD card slot. The Galaxy Grand has 1GB RAM.
The phone has an 8 megapixel rear camera and a 2 megapixel front camera which supports zero shutter-lag and ultra-quick camera start-up.. It comes packed with a 2,100 mAh Li-ion battery. The Galaxy Grand measures 77 x 143.7 x 9.6 mm, and weighs 162 g. The device is available in Elegant White and Metallic Blue color options.
VideoPhotoGallery
The phone has 1GB RAM, an internal memory of 8GB (user memory of 4GB), which can be expanded up to 64GB via a microSD card slot.
"As a special introductory offer, the device comes with a Flip Cover in the box and users can download music and movies through 'My Services' worth Rs 8000 free along with 50GB Dropbox space. Vodafone users also get 2GB data download free per month for 2 months," said Samsung.
The Galaxy Grand comes with various intuitive features that enable the consumers to seamlessly engage with the device. The Smart Stay uses the front camera to prevent the device from going into standby mode while it detects a user in front of the device.
Direct Call feature enables users to automatically dial a call by raising the device up to the ear. Smart Alert shows missed events such as missed calls and new messages just by picking up the phone.
Popup Play enables the users to watch video in a pop-up window anywhere on the screen while running other tasks. The S Voice feature helps the user to control the phone using their voice. The device also features a unique Face and Voice Unlock that enables the users to lock and unlock their device with face or voice recognition, providing greater security and convenience. The All Share Play enables easy sharing and playing of contents across Samsung digital devices, anywhere anytime.
With the launch of this device, Samsung now offers a range of 6 Dual SIM Smartphones and a total of 14 Smartphone models priced in the range between Rs 6,990 and Rs 39,900.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Last edited by Singha on 22 Jan 2013 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Panasonic also talked about 4K technology at the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2013, but the company did not restrict it to televisions only.

During the keynote, the company unveiled a new 20-inch 4K tablet that runs on Windows 8 operating system. Designed for professional use, this tablet will be a part of the company's tough range.

There were four tablets at the booth running on Windows 8 platform but these only have single application for designers, photographers and other commercial use. As per the specifications shared by the company, the tablet will have a 3840 x 2560 pixels resolution, Intel Core i5 3427U vPro 1.80 GHz; NVIDIA GeForce Graphics; HD 720p embedded camera and approximately 2 hours of internal battery usage.

Specs:
Display: 20.0 inch IPS Alpha Panel
Resolution: 3840 x 2560 pixels (230 ppi): Approx. 16.77 million colors Aspect Ratio: 15:10
CPU: Intel Core i5 3427U vPro 1.80 GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce Graphics
Memory: 4GB (max.16GB)
Flash Memory Drive (SSD): 128GB
Interface: High resolution digital pen (Anoto Live pen), Electrostatic multi-touchpanel (10 fingers)
Wireless: IEEE802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0 USB Port: USB2.0 x 1 Expansion Slots: microSD memory card slot x 1 (supports microSDXC memory card) Embedded Camera: Resolution: HD 720P, Effective pixels: max. 1280×720 pixel Battery Life: Approx. 2 hours (using internal battery)
Size: 18.7" (W) x 13.1" (D) x 0.4" (H)
Weight: 5.3 lbs
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

how the hell is Sammy trying to keep the identities distinct

they are throwing a number of models in every segment every few months

I would hate to be their dev team :)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://igyaan.in/2013/01/35923/exclusiv ... ce=twitter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIETgltyjzg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3vbuTi0xnw

sammy and nok atleast have a range of models from 10k -> 35k to capture buying decisions.

I am thinking Apple will get locked out of all the emerging markets by this SamNok combo among branded, and the 40% "others" like mmx and many more....with just two models, one of which is the older iphone and trailing edge HW and SW the iphone is not going to "wow" anyone on indian streets atleast....

power to the people...in 2 yrs time I would like to see a 6" IPS phone for 6K and be in every rickshaw wallah, auto wallah, construction workers, small shop owners pocket to form a broad base here and the more premium segment of 10-15k occupied by 7-8" phablets in thin form factors featuring whatever ultra HD specs get developed soon..... 8) let intel also downsize their i7 arch or develop their mobile arch to get a piece of action..their deep resources can only help advance the state of art.

RB saab might have to take sanyas in a ashram in san luis obispo still praying to the gods of a 3.2" screen heh heh
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

power to the people...8" phones will be here soon

though rumours about the 8-inch Galaxy Note tablet have been doing rounds for a long time, but now there is some confirmation on the same. According to a report from iNews24, Samsung mobile head JK Shin has confirmed the Galaxy Note 8 will debut at MWC 2013, which is scheduled for February 2013, though he did not give any details.
This scoop can not be avoided as Samsung's mobile chief also intimated the Korean media organisation beforehand about the Galaxy S III Mini - before the company announced it officially.
If rumours are to be believed, the tablet will give a tough competition to Apple's iPad Mini. Rumours have indicated that the tablet will run Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, and come in 3G and Wi-Fi models.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

they will soon fall prey to imperial overreach one expects just like NOK and just like APPLE in the past.

they need to line up the next set of killer products after the steam runs of out of the galaxy line, which it naturally will in some 2 yrs.
I dont think their android tablets are selling much.
nobody wants bada or even touchwiz atop pure android.
there are better makers of white goods appliances like panasonic & braun but without the congressi type reach into every lane of Samsung/LG
TV - they are pretty good one has to say

among the global majors through a mix of innovation and luck they are well placed to dominate atleast in the next 5 yrs. beyond that none can predict.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Singha wrote:they will soon fall prey to imperial overreach one expects just like NOK and just like APPLE in the past.

they need to line up the next set of killer products after the steam runs of out of the galaxy line, which it naturally will in some 2 yrs.
I dont think their android tablets are selling much.
nobody wants bada or even touchwiz atop pure android.
there are better makers of white goods appliances like panasonic & braun but without the congressi type reach into every lane of Samsung/LG
TV - they are pretty good one has to say

among the global majors through a mix of innovation and luck they are well placed to dominate atleast in the next 5 yrs. beyond that none can predict.
OT ALERT!!

Samsung is also expanding into medical electronics, apparently a focus area for them going forward. I guess they may eventually go the way of Siemens, if not Philips for its electronics businesses when their growth/maturity curve finally tapers off.

But then again, Sammy also makes armored SPGs, ships and plays in construction, IT and financial services sectors too among countless others. Heck, they even had an auto division IIRC. A true multiheaded monster if there ever was one. Such beasts are rarely brought down from outside and more often than not, an implosion is what finally takes them under a la USSR. Amirkhan's massive (for its time) Rockwell conglomerate melted away in no time after the cold war, thanks largely to its own decisions. The Hyundai cheabol is no longer a single entity post-AFC and later external interventions/family feuds, although most of the leftover pieces (Hyundai Heavy, Hyundai Merchant Marine and of course Hyundai Motors) are fairly formidable in their own right - heck if they were all still together, they would probably have been bigger than Sammy it is today!

If anything, I think it would be the simmering tensions between the Samsung's promoter family that would most probably bring about its decline/disintegration or outright downfall.

All IMVVHO onlee of course.