Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by Singha »

has any non american co ever managed to carry out full fledget SW driven integration of their HW?
traditionally the japanese sw back end of even good products like canon and nikon have been nothing more than "basic"
taiwanese & Soko have been even more basic
cheen has been kind of nonexistent other than using open sw to achieve their ends

in the new era suppose DSLRs become increasingly sw centric like the samsung galaxy camera already is pointing the way...suppose you can download ur own ROMs into DLSRs, put apps there and such...i wonder how nippon plans to cope with such changes....it would appear samsung is better poised there and even apple could play a new move by pairing with someone like olympus or pentax for the mechanicals and optics and doing the back end hw and sw. or maybe pull in carl zeiss to play on the american fascination for german made products.

the smaller P&S cameras are already vanishing inside smartphones if one is prepared to tolerate a slight bulge there for a better camera module. MP has reached 8MP even in mid range cams which is plenty enough..matter of time before bigger sensors come online...with 5" screen as the new std, internal volume is no longer as tight. :lol: picasa type features are already inside phones, more sophisticated irfanview and pshop will follow.

smaller lower margin japanese and other east asian cos will secularly benefit by supplying the 'picks n shovels' and 'plate of beans and bread' to the miners like housings, optical modules, chipsets, screens ....
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

The question should be, has any non-Amirkhan/non-Oiropean company ever owned a large scale software platform which is used worldwide?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

not many exist. even europe - what major sw do they own in the consumer space other than angry birds, bad piggies :D and skype ? they do have plenty of enterprise and service provider players.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^Now they don't own anymore. However, they used to - for example, Symbian (at one time it powered 85% of all smartphones worldwide). Non-Oiro/Khan have never owned any large scale platform even historically. Now Khan is the sole sooper power in platforms (or rather, West Coast of Khan).

Skype is owned by Mickey so cannot be considered Oiropean any more.
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Singha wrote:not many exist. even europe - what major sw do they own in the consumer space other than angry birds, bad piggies :D and skype ? they do have plenty of enterprise and service provider players.
Opera, AVG, F-Secure are a few more that come to mind. Not including enterprise s/w of course.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

During my recent air-travels across the country, have checked out all the super smart phones at electronic stores in waiting area.

As someone who once owned a N8 (and which I terribly miss) I make it a point to check the camera on these phones. I personally have a LUMIA 800 and brother has S2 while wifey has a Sony Experia Mini. I'm one of those who can make a purchase decision based on camera quality - camera on N8 was amazing and helped me take many a point and shoot opportunities - like out of plane window during flight in monsoon period or clicking SU-30MKI in Jodhpur.

Here is my take:

1. The LUMIA 920 camera rocks. Nothing comes close. The one on i5 is overrated (as usual). It is OK. Nothing exceptional.
2. HTC One X+ also has an amazing camera. As does S3. Both have very good apps to support working with the pics taken.
3. Apart from the quality of camera, I think it has also become a game of SW to support camera ops and what all you can do with the pics you have taken. Nokia LUMIA 920 actually lacks in this sphere. Both HTC and Samsung have loads of OEM apps as well as free to download from Google Play store. Guess, its the Android versus W8 limitation here at play.
4. Even S2 has a great camera - much better than my LUMIA 800. Great quality pics and good low-light performance.

On a side note, one good point about Windows phone is the seamless integration with social networks - and that too with minimum fuss. All very intuitive and matter of fact.
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

I am still holding on to a palm treo 680 (came out in 2006). Will let go when it stops responding completely (it has already suffered half a dozen drops). Personally, I think that was among the last of the nice qwerty ones. Was bought on its utility as EDGE modem at around Rs 15000. No latest chi-chi handsets for me purely due to cost. This treo qualified as extravagance even looking at its utility in those days.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Looks like you prefer the paleo diet fad :)

Turn to refined sugars, processed carbs and industrial meat my friend...feed the inner beast in you...run your fingers along the lovely curves and petite glasses of the latest beauties....

Deny yourself no longer!
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

negi wrote:My Nokia E71 has been snagged away by my matashri ; I think that was the last in the line of battleship class phones made by Nokia. I was using it in Unkil land until COY gave me a free 4S . It has survived a lot of falls and bumps in the tennis court.

My 4 year old exress music phone recently survived a 7 ft drop, and lived on to do what it does best. That is th ebuild quality of a Nokia. Can any other cell come even close.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

you guys seem to love keeping old phones more than most men want to keep their wives.

nothing is lifelong these days :D

something hotter , more butter smooth and more toned is always coming to a store shelf near you...serial monogamy or serial hooking up is the new mantra for man & phone relationship.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

rohitvats wrote:During my recent air-travels across the country, have checked out all the super smart phones at electronic stores in waiting area.

As someone who once owned a N8 (and which I terribly miss) I make it a point to check the camera on these phones. I personally have a LUMIA 800 and brother has S2 while wifey has a Sony Experia Mini. I'm one of those who can make a purchase decision based on camera quality - camera on N8 was amazing and helped me take many a point and shoot opportunities - like out of plane window during flight in monsoon period or clicking SU-30MKI in Jodhpur.

Here is my take:

1. The LUMIA 920 camera rocks. Nothing comes close. The one on i5 is overrated (as usual). It is OK. Nothing exceptional.
2. HTC One X+ also has an amazing camera. As does S3. Both have very good apps to support working with the pics taken.
3. Apart from the quality of camera, I think it has also become a game of SW to support camera ops and what all you can do with the pics you have taken. Nokia LUMIA 920 actually lacks in this sphere. Both HTC and Samsung have loads of OEM apps as well as free to download from Google Play store. Guess, its the Android versus W8 limitation here at play.
4. Even S2 has a great camera - much better than my LUMIA 800. Great quality pics and good low-light performance.

On a side note, one good point about Windows phone is the seamless integration with social networks - and that too with minimum fuss. All very intuitive and matter of fact.
plus nokia navigation is mind blowinlgy good. Offline maps.

You travel a lot but you dont use the maps feature a lot? I do ...find it indispensible in fact.

for me social networking and camera is passe.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

I dunno why Chacha is so adamant about not doing off-line maps since while traveling not having offline maps makes them next to useless (not to mention when you are really lost, you don't have a cellphone signal either).

Some 920ish phone passed thru FCC a few days ago headed for Verizon - I hope it is a 920 variant or upgrade available soon. Then I can buy the darn thing (actually get it for free with unlimited data for being loyal KB slave :mrgreen: ).
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

WTF?! Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 preview: an 8-inch S Pen tablet that's also a phone

Soon Sammy will stop selling phones and only sell tablets. :lol:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

pretty impressive video on nokia lumia 920. actually, I was saying (apologies rbullah) that my sprint services is getting over, and I was thinking lumia 920 with ATT.. and shq finds another sprint worker to provide us a service. duh! I may have to live with the iphonwa-4. i am onlee waiting it can load up ios 6, based on any negative reports here or on chacha.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Raja Bose wrote:WTF?! Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 preview: an 8-inch S Pen tablet that's also a phone

you say soon? soon is already here.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Raja Bose wrote:I dunno why Chacha is so adamant about not doing off-line maps since while traveling not having offline maps makes them next to useless (not to mention when you are really lost, you don't have a cellphone signal either).

Some 920ish phone passed thru FCC a few days ago headed for Verizon - I hope it is a 920 variant or upgrade available soon. Then I can buy the darn thing (actually get it for free with unlimited data for being loyal KB slave :mrgreen: ).
Navfree and mapfactor both on android have offline maps for india. I have installed both on my phone though only tried them around my area so far.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Ipad mini is priced around 21k in india which means must be around 17k in usa.
Galaxy note2 has a huge price of 33k here.
Now what is going to be pricing for galaxy 8 when it will have a bigger screen than note2, phone hw and the s pen system as well?
If they price it above the note2 nobody is going to buy....even the base ipad3 will be cheaper.

Could be worth it if they price at 21k but that exposes the note2 as a highly overpriced product and the upper end of galaxy phones as well starting with the grand at 21k

Secondly the micromax canvas hd has started to officially beat the galaxy note or s3 in some std benchmark tests except graphics rendering .... It shows people can make a profit at 15k selling galaxy s3 type hw and everything above that is butter that samsung is skimming. I hope karbonn, lava, xolo also pile in and eat samsung lunch here, which will force them to go on a diet and drop prices steeply.....smartphone upper mid range hw is now a commodity and premium pricing cannot be justified...same thing is happening in tv as well...sammy keeps trying to up the size and add internet features but they will run out of new tricks and hit the size limit of drawing rooms soon...as it is, euro , soko and japan rooms tend to be smaller. Std indian apartment drawing room is 11 feet wide and it aint getting bigger.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Singha wrote: Navfree and mapfactor both on android have offline maps for india. I have installed both on my phone though only tried them around my area so far.
That might be what will happen if Chacha lets this lapse. Local mapping solutions for Android will crop up which will take traffic away from Chacha's maps. The need is there, if Chacha doesn't fill it, someone else will.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

For anmol mian.....looks like Chacha is listening to stodgy ol' Mickey's nowadays, despite claiming they are uncool. :mrgreen: During the ChromeBook Pixel launch, Sundar Pichai copied 3 things from the Surface launch event:
Google also stressed that this is a very premium device (something that’s obviously reflected in the price). Pichai, for example, noted that the piano hinge has the feel of a “very premium car door” and the team added rounded corners to the aluminum body to make it feel better when you hold it. Google also stressed that it redesigned numerous components and often had to resort to designing its own parts to meet its specs.

Chrome itself, of course, has also been optimized for touch, which Pichai believes will soon be on every laptop.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/21/google ... ional-lte/

http://www.slashgear.com/the-tao-of-sur ... -16252082/
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Raja Bose wrote:WTF?! Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 preview: an 8-inch S Pen tablet that's also a phone

This is getting ridiculous. What's worse is that more companies that manufacture Android phones are going in this 5+ inch direction. I just hope there is a reasonable sized high end Android phone left to buy when the time comes to ditch my S3. It is looking more likely that I'll have to stay away from Sammy next time.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the smallish and narrow hand-friendly form factor has just one champion left now - apple.

the rest are stampeding like a herd of unruly bulls behind samsung. its a virus.

by the fall season (diwali/christmas), 5" will be the norm rather than the exception it is today...costs will plummet as volume ramps up so even 8K phones will sport the lower end 5" screens.

navfree and mapfactor both downloaded around 110MB of data each for india maps. thats it. mapfactor uses some open src mapping database per some details it printed. both look adequate enough though not as "polished" as nokia or google maps in icons and drawings.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Singha wrote:Ipad mini is priced around 21k in india which means must be around 17k in usa.
Galaxy note2 has a huge price of 33k here.
Now what is going to be pricing for galaxy 8 when it will have a bigger screen than note2, phone hw and the s pen system as well?
If they price it above the note2 nobody is going to buy....even the base ipad3 will be cheaper.

Could be worth it if they price at 21k but that exposes the note2 as a highly overpriced product and the upper end of galaxy phones as well starting with the grand at 21k

Secondly the micromax canvas hd has started to officially beat the galaxy note or s3 in some std benchmark tests except graphics rendering .... It shows people can make a profit at 15k selling galaxy s3 type hw and everything above that is butter that samsung is skimming. I hope karbonn, lava, xolo also pile in and eat samsung lunch here, which will force them to go on a diet and drop prices steeply.....smartphone upper mid range hw is now a commodity and premium pricing cannot be justified...same thing is happening in tv as well...sammy keeps trying to up the size and add internet features but they will run out of new tricks and hit the size limit of drawing rooms soon...as it is, euro , soko and japan rooms tend to be smaller. Std indian apartment drawing room is 11 feet wide and it aint getting bigger.
I think this is where GB is different. It is bringing out phones at every price point with good build quality. It also brings its own apps which can be compelling for some. Sammy will wait for some one else to create a new category of devices and promptly copies them. I bet S4 will have optical image stabilisation and will be made of aluminium just like the HTC One copied the aluminium body from Apple and the OIS from GB. HTC did a good job of it though.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^They are probably using OpenStreetMap. Ironically, the founder of OSM now works for Mickey in Bing - his name is Steve Coast and guess what his wife's name is?.....
Hurricane Coast! :mrgreen:
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Raja Bose wrote:
Singha wrote: Navfree and mapfactor both on android have offline maps for india. I have installed both on my phone though only tried them around my area so far.
That might be what will happen if Chacha lets this lapse. Local mapping solutions for Android will crop up which will take traffic away from Chacha's maps. The need is there, if Chacha doesn't fill it, someone else will.
Chacha does not have the map data to give it away for free. Also for GB, it is giving away the map data along with the device on which it can make a profit. Now GB is also providing free map apps for iOS and other devices and making a play on location based search revenue.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Chacha does the same thing as GB - they make money from Android Maps (and Mail, G+ etc.) by charging the device manufacturer a fee per device. GB does both (make its own devices) and charge Mickey for GB maps being put on other WP devices. Only difference is Chacha doesn't own all the map data it uses unlike GB (since it owns NAVTEQ) but that doesn't matter here.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Lumia 520 will cost ~10,000 (USD 183 without taxes)
Lumia 720 will cost ~19,000 (USD 341 without taxes)

---

Firefox OS will use HERE maps.

---

I have not see "dead-er" press conference, their Lumia designer "Marco" is no Steve Jobs... heck he is no Stephen Elop, Ballmer, Gates... *face palm*
Last edited by anmol on 25 Feb 2013 13:59, edited 2 times in total.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Lumia phones look great, but whats up with naming the models?

There is a Lumia 72, a Lumia 400, a Lumia 786, a Lumia 1947

I have no idea what each number means!
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Anujan wrote:Lumia phones look great, but whats up with naming the models?

There is a Lumia 72, a Lumia 400, a Lumia 786, a Lumia 1947

I have no idea what each number means!
All of Lumia Range :<cheapest> 505 510 520 610 620 800 820 900 910 920 920T <most expensive>
WP7: <cheapest> 505 510 610 800 900 <most expensive>
WP8: <cheapest> 520 620 820 822 920 920T <most expensive>
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

That made a lot of sense.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

quite generous amt of internal memory on the 520 given its price point..no flash is a gap.

The all-new Lumia 520 comes with a 4-inch LCD IPS touchscreen and is powered by a 1GHZ dual-core processor. The phone comes with 8GB built-in memory and can support microSD cards with capacities ranging up to 64GB. The camera sensor in Lumia 520 is rated at 5MP and can shoot videos at 720p resolution, but has no rear LED flash or a front facing camera. It is powered by a 1,430mAh battery, comes with swappable back covers, and is priced at 139 euros

--
relative lack of apps isnt a big deal with most women..they want a few things like camera and phone to work well for endless yak yak yak and arent bothered with cpu specs, ROM mods or even maps because they can always ask someone...its men who want to work in survival mode and want full maps , GPS, litening pod, AN/ALE-50 ECM and so on...most of them dont even know games like temple run or subway surfer...they would rather talk to friends than play games.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Singha wrote:...its men who want to work in survival mode and want full maps , GPS, litening pod, AN/ALE-50 ECM and so on...
:rotfl:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

ZTE grand memo hands on......5.7 incher note ripoff without the stylus...they even stole the name from samsung grand..but packs good hw under the hood

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/25/zte- ... -hands-on/
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Way to go!
ASUS Padfone Infinity

If only they can make the case compatible with wider set of phones (whether iOS, Andriod, and Win8). Wish to see not so needed complexity out of phones to these type of cases for making the phones powerful instead.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

anmol wrote: I have not see "dead-er" press conference, their Lumia designer "Marco" is no Steve Jobs... heck he is no Stephen Elop, Ballmer, Gates... *face palm*
If he is a Finn, he will be like that onlee. They cannot show emotion even if their life depended on it*! :mrgreen: Anyhow this Marco should be compared to Jonny baba not the Mahdi. Mahdi could critique design, he couldn't design.

---
*Common joke: Finn mard meets hot lalchick in party. Finn mard's pickup line to hot lalchick (with deadpan expression): "The temperature is rising in this room. Should we go outside so that I can evaluate a relationship with you?"
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Raja Bose wrote:Chacha does the same thing as GB - they make money from Android Maps (and Mail, G+ etc.) by charging the device manufacturer a fee per device. GB does both (make its own devices) and charge Mickey for GB maps being put on other WP devices. Only difference is Chacha doesn't own all the map data it uses unlike GB (since it owns NAVTEQ) but that doesn't matter here.
Wasn't android supposed to be free? I guess only the core OS is free then. Garmin charges about 30 bucks for iOS devices for US maps data (for its own mapping app) which it gets from GB(navteq). I guess GB must be charging M$ at least 15 bucks for US map data which M$ in turn charges the device manufacturer. Google without map data must be charging only a nominal fee for its mapping application. Google can include offline maps for at least the developed markets where the margins are higher and the device manufacturers should be willing to pay for it.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

hanumadu wrote: Wasn't android supposed to be free? I guess only the core OS is free then. Garmin charges about 30 bucks for iOS devices for US maps data (for its own mapping app) which it gets from GB(navteq). I guess GB must be charging M$ at least 15 bucks for US map data which M$ in turn charges the device manufacturer. Google without map data must be charging only a nominal fee for its mapping application. Google can include offline maps for at least the developed markets where the margins are higher and the device manufacturers should be willing to pay for it.
Android core OS is free. Ofcourse when Chacha says Android is free it is not lying becoz the OS is free. But then for most people the OS is what they see on the screen and the services they use - those are not free (it is priced in to your handset price by the device manufacturer). So it is a case where Chacha is happy to let people's perceptions ride since its good PR for them.

Actually the per-handset fee charged to handset manufacturers by GB and Chacha for their Android and WP services respectively are quite similar (they are not specifically for map data or map app onlee but for the entire suite of apps they provide). There is no extra fee for online maps vs offline or specifically for map data onlee - maps are a commodity now. Its just that Chacha's maps apps doesn't do offline maps yet which is a handicap in deadzones/while traveling. In Android's case, handset manufacturers and ODMs (Foxconn, Compal etc.) pay Mickey an additional fee for patent licensing too. Chacha tried to hit back by trying to block some patents which it owns through Motor Oil but the court deemed them standards essential and blocked Chacha from blocking access to them (any standards essential patents have to be necessarily made available for licensing to everybody on FRAND terms).
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

nachiket wrote:

This is getting ridiculous. What's worse is that more companies that manufacture Android phones are going in this 5+ inch direction. I just hope there is a reasonable sized high end Android phone left to buy when the time comes to ditch my S3. It is looking more likely that I'll have to stay away from Sammy next time.
This is natural.

I was writing an IT strategy document for a world top CE manufacturer in early 2000. At the time the debate was between Phone, Digital Camera, Personal Organizers etc.,

How many CE devices an individual can carry all the time? Maximum 1.

That is why the pager had to give way to 2G phones when text messages became available. 3G phones made the personal organizers, and even digital cameras redundant for general public. Now many phones give a good coverage of all those options in a single device.

The current debate is between PCs, Tablets and Phones. Again nobody want to carry three things, pull them out in security check points (many working professionals travel all over the place) and so on...

My guess is again a less than 4-5 inch mobile device will win. Reason is it can be carried without any hassle. All it takes is some technology advancements that can make the processor, screen size and keyboard and mouse type functionality can be supported from a smaller device.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^The problem with that is, those ginormous phones may not fit in your trouser/jeans pocket. They might not even fit in your palm. Holding a 5.5 incher to your ear is even more uncomfortable, not to mention that is looks ridiculous. There has to be some importance given to form over function. My only whine is that in 2 years time the only sub 5 inch phone left will be the iPhunwa. :((
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Actually I find companies other than Sammy and possibly Yell-ji hesitant to cross the 5 inch yellow sea. There is something aesthetically crude about such large sizes when it comes to mobile phones. Sammy of course doesn't care - imagination has never been their forte.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

I was hoping Sammy would learn a lesson with the Note 2 and give up the phablet craze. But it sold very well. :(