Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by Mort Walker »

SaiK wrote:Yes high reliability - in the sense, for emergency use.

for IP, google fiber is so far away, and AT&T are still behaving like monopoly... not sure, what can bang into their networks from space, ground and sub surface.

Mort, how much are paying for your land lines? btw, land lines should also be vulnerable on the disaster aspect, but I guess, the backbone bandwidth is consistent, and esepcially on ATM/FR networks. there is routing crap and traffic issues. again, i am assuming there, since people are moving into IP based services, hence there would be high capacity available with low traffic and higher quality of service.
$25/month + taxes (~$3/month) for ATT land line with no long distance calling out. Land lines are less vulnerable than mobile communications as towers get destroyed in natural disasters and more people use mobile service to communicate. Voice over IP is the future for more bandwidth even on existing lines. IP services can be frustrating as you may be in the middle of the disaster and all of a sudden it doesn't work because someone changed the DNS server (just an example). You can figure it out pretty fast, but when your elderly parents or 8 year old child is at home and you're not, and they have to dial out, it can cause panic.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

what are the best vonage alternatives, that allow me to use a landline type phone connected to the voip machine
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Neela-ji

My apologies. Instead of quoting and replying your post, I edited it by mistake :shock:
First din as adminullah :oops: Still figuring out the Pistol they gave me :oops: :((
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Anujan wrote:Neela-ji

My apologies. Instead of quoting and replying your post, I edited it by mistake :shock:
First din as adminullah :oops: Still figuring out the Pistol they gave me :oops: :((
:rotfl: Just don't point the pistol at yourself and pull the trigger. You'll have to use the webmaster contact email to have yourself reinstated if you accidently ban yourself :)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

^interesting, adminullahs can ban themselves.

mort: valuable suggestion. I might think about land line and local, and use the vonage over IP for long distance and desh. will talk to shq and update your suggestions today.

time warner again is chewing my bills since couple of months.. not sure what kind of deal shq put with them.. time to take stock of all gizmo and connection things.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Suraj wrote:
Anujan wrote:Neela-ji

:rotfl: Just don't point the pistol at yourself and pull the trigger. You'll have to use the webmaster contact email to have yourself reinstated if you accidently ban yourself :)
AoA! Adminullahs can ban themselves?! :shock: ...didn't know BRF had the soosai button! :mrgreen:

Innocent pooch: If 2 adminullahs get into a fight, can they ban each other? :twisted:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

That would be like Sumbha and Nisumbha! :rotfl: (S/N = infinity) - they are like unlike poles!
sigal:noise
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Suraj wrote: :rotfl: Just don't point the pistol at yourself and pull the trigger. You'll have to use the webmaster contact email to have yourself reinstated if you accidently ban yourself :)
Has this actually happened to any admin in the past? :D Just curious, that's all.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

I might make the switch from Motorola droid razor to a nokia this winter. Except for google maps android does not have much attraction for me. Even nokia 822 looks pleasing. I heard verizon will get 929 this November. My son sings laurels of his windows phone. Stopped at Verizon store, iPhone 5s sold out, wanted to SHQ iphone5s.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

androids were closer to have an NFC market right? would be very useful if they can combine a bunch of credit cards to just one device. I am sure, this is the NG tech thingie you may want to carry. However it does require stores to have the receiving setup.. should not be that expensive on economies of scale production - but then, it might have to be regulated as monoploies will start chewing you on per transaction cost.

nokia means, you are microsoft fan!
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

I have Motorola, SHQ has iPhone and son has Nokia (windows phone), and I am MS fan? Anyways nothing wrong in being a MS fan. As I have access to desktops and laptops almost all the time, not to mention Ipad at home, I miss the smart phone only when I am in the car or waiting somewhere. But then, I think how bad our lifestyles have become addicted to these technologies. I do like my ipad though.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

just fyi: when you say you like your ipad, what features you like the most?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Look and feel. Bad thingie is the auto correction :rotfl:
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

SaiK wrote:androids were closer to have an NFC market right? would be very useful if they can combine a bunch of credit cards to just one device. I am sure, this is the NG tech thingie you may want to carry. However it does require stores to have the receiving setup.. should not be that expensive on economies of scale production - but then, it might have to be regulated as monoploies will start chewing you on per transaction cost.

nokia means, you are microsoft fan!
Deploying it in stores is not that big a deal. The big chains in massa are easy and most of them do have NFC compatible terminals.

The down side though (I have used chacha wallet and now carriers are coming out with Isis), is there is zero value proposition for the users. Instead of whipping out your credit card, you whip out your phone, unlock, enter pin, touch on terminal. Meh.

Carrying cards is a big leap in user experience from carrying cash. You dont have to stuff a lot of it in your wallet and you dont lose your money if you lose your card. Phone is a step back. Doesnt work in all places, doesnt work if the battery is down. Except for some edge cases (like having your receipt online or getting a confirmation on your phone when your account is debited) is it really that much better?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

they should have a separate rechargable button cell type power for NFC.. just a few electromagnetic/RFID reads, at very close range.. should not have to draw that much power. I am sure, they can work something out.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

UX is what killed NFC based payments. Unless they make the leap to biometric based payments, credit card is here to stay for a while. I wonder what happened to that idiot Chacha stole from PayPal....Osama something....useless pompous fella by all accounts.

--

SG mian, WP has Nokia/NAVTEQ maps so advantage over Google maps is: more accurate data, wider coverage and works without a network connection like a true standalone GPS. Disadvantage is: PoI data lags behind Google maps and no StreetView yet.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

So Nokia windows tabs come out in a couple of weeks? I've been eyeing the Surface 2 to replace my laptop which is a pain in the back to carry. Considering that I found the quality of Lumia 920 good, this might be good competition. However, I doubt Mickey would like their pet to get overshadowed much.
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

archan wrote:So Nokia windows tabs come out in a couple of weeks? I've been eyeing the Surface 2 to replace my laptop which is a pain in the back to carry. Considering that I found the quality of Lumia 920 good, this might be good competition. However, I doubt Mickey would like their pet to get overshadowed much.
Saar, Windows RT ,not x86. I would look at the new Bay Trail x86 tablets as well.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

^^They are using crowdfunding to raise $16k? C'mon, that's less than chump change for guys like Wozniak.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^That's what people are saying :mrgreen: Anyhow I will try and see if I can wangle an invite (if its a public event i.e.). Too bad the Mahdi is no more, perhaps he would have attended.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

BhairavP wrote:
archan wrote:So Nokia windows tabs come out in a couple of weeks? I've been eyeing the Surface 2 to replace my laptop which is a pain in the back to carry. Considering that I found the quality of Lumia 920 good, this might be good competition. However, I doubt Mickey would like their pet to get overshadowed much.
Saar, Windows RT ,not x86. I would look at the new Bay Trail x86 tablets as well.
Nokias will be RT only?
I'm not interested. I need to dock it at work and connect external monitor, run a bunch of different applications and not just "apps", and take it home everydin.
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

Yep, RT only as of now. As Pandyan saar said, check out the newer Asus and Dell announcements - Baytrail x86. The Asus TF100 is out on the 19th in the US, 64GB for a very reasonable 399$, plus a microSD card slot, keyboard dock and USB 3.0. Bonus - Office 2013 installed as well.

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/12/meet-the-3 ... surface-2/
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

samsung is alleged to be throwing a 64bit 8-core processor into the S5 due for emergency release in Jan 2014 due to weaker than expected sales of the S4.

I predict it will not solve their major problem which is lack of any real killer app or UX wowness in android anymore. just layering on more turdware isnt a game. the junta here itself prefers stock android going by sample size.

they keep on selling because no other really good and global maker of android handset exists or has a global footprint.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

A lot of people who have S3s would not have found a great reason to upgrade. Sony is trying to add value to their Z/Z1 by water/weather proofing and better camera.
Now a multi-focus type camera would be great. Not sure I have the correct term, but the one where you can refocus the image during post processing.
The spy shots of the Nexus 5 look good. Almost looks like made of carbon fiber.
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

New destructive windows virus is on the loose. Encrypts your data and asks 200-300$ for decrypt key.
Be careful!
Reddit Thread
Naked Security sophos blog
SophosLabs reports two main infection vectors: via email attachments and via botnets.

Email attacks are fairly easy to avoid: take care with attachments you weren't expecting, or from people you don't know well.

Infection via a botnet is a little different, since the crooks are using the fact that you are already infected with malware as a way to infect you with yet more malware.

That's because most bots, or zombies, once active on your computer, include a general purpose "upgrade" command that allows the crooks to update, replace, or add to the malware already on your PC.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

ArmenT wrote:Has this actually happened to any admin in the past? :D Just curious, that's all.
None of us have as yet. But most of us have accidentally edited posts we intended to reply to, including me. The location of the two buttons close to each other makes it easy to make that mistake. As Raja Bose would state, UI failure onlee.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Raja Bose wrote: SG mian, WP has Nokia/NAVTEQ maps so advantage over Google maps is: more accurate data, wider coverage and works without a network connection like a true standalone GPS. Disadvantage is: PoI data lags behind Google maps and no StreetView yet.
Son uses HERE ( based on NAVTEQ and myriad technologies Nokia acquired over the years), when we want a back up as I am driving. The navsystem on the car gets outdated pretty quickly, and SHQ is bad with directions, so I resort to son who is good with devices, though is very bad at giving directions. Finally, frustrated with them both, I have to whip out my Android.

Waiting for Oct 22nd, the big event of Nokia.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Suraj wrote:
ArmenT wrote:Has this actually happened to any admin in the past? :D Just curious, that's all.
None of us have as yet. But most of us have accidentally edited posts we intended to reply to, including me. The location of the two buttons close to each other makes it easy to make that mistake. As Raja Bose would state, UI failure onlee.
Perhaps User Failure and not UI failure...adminullahs can be cut no slack! :P

SG mian, HERE is just a rebranding of NAVTEQ's LBS platform. Your car's nav system most likely uses NAVTEQ data but you are right the update cycle of car IVI software is pretty slow. That is why one of the major trends is to use the user's mobile device as the app/services platform while using the car to provide UI hardware (screen, buttons, touch, knob, audio etc.).
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

It is not mere rebranding. Nokia acquired several technologies.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Like what? :-?
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Raja Bose wrote: SG mian, WP has Nokia/NAVTEQ maps so advantage over Google maps is: more accurate data, wider coverage and works without a network connection like a true standalone GPS. Disadvantage is: PoI data lags behind Google maps and no StreetView yet.
Nokia's online version here.com has street view. To provide street view offline would take too much storage perhaps.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

SwamyG wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:Like what? :-?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_(Nokia)#History
This is what I am referring to:
On 13 November 2012, Nokia announced that it would rebrand its location offering as Here to highlight its vision for the future of location based services and its belief in the importance of mapping.
HERE was a re-branding exercise...anything from acquisitions which went in was much before that and was already part of NAVTEQ's LBS platform.
hanumadu wrote:
Nokia's online version here.com has street view. To provide street view offline would take too much storage perhaps.
No I am referring to the in-car experience, in the drive app.
chandrasekaran
BRFite

Post by chandrasekaran »

Flipkart has a very decent offer for the Nexus 7 (not 2013 - initial Nexus 7) tablet. If you have a standard charted credit card, you can have the 32GB Wi-Fi only version for 10,200/-. Lesser than the price it retails at Amazon (USD price). FYI
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Takla is the new Mahdi. Long live the Mahdi!

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... d-stone#p1
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Sriman wrote:Takla is the new Mahdi. Long live the Mahdi!

Heard the author's interview last night on the public radio. As long as my AMZN keeps climbing I am smiling.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Sriman wrote:Takla is the new Mahdi. Long live the Mahdi!

Takla and the whole culture sound horrible.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

It takes a mix of all types to make a large co work. Some of his type are also needed.