Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Postby Raja Bose » 21 Oct 2013 22:02

Singha saar, to the question when will Sammy jump ship? Like I said before, when they have their own maps/lbs and email. The article actually points out the same thing.

manish
BRFite

Postby manish » 21 Oct 2013 22:05

Mort Walker wrote:
Singha wrote:1520 a 6" monster is due to release soon
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia-Ba ... 20_id46787

This is the one my contact told me to wait for instead of the Lumia 1020. I was told it is to have an even better camera than the 1020.

But Mort ji, leaked specs point to a 'scaled down version' of Lumia 1020 camera for the 1520:
We've arrived to the exclusive part of Nokia's first phablet, namely the rumored 20.7 MP camera with Carl Zeiss lens, improved Panorama and optical image stabilization. These specs alone should make it the best camera on a phablet, but since the sensor is a scaled down version of the 41 MP monster in the Lumia 1020, it will also offer 1.8x lossless zoom in stills mode, and 4x for HD video capture.

The maximum usable resolution is expected to be 18 MP in 4:3 aspect ratio, meaning we will be getting an oval sensor like in the 1020 flagship. The dual capture mode means you will be getting 5 MP images in automatic mode with the pixel-binning technology that combines the information of four or more pixels into a "perfect" one. There will be also a full 16 MP mode for the ultimate detail capture.

johneeG
BRF Oldie

Postby johneeG » 22 Oct 2013 02:38

Raja Bose wrote:
johneeG wrote:Maybe the experiences are also based on the individual pieces that we get. As for me, after the disastrous experience with Nokia C5, I am not inclined to buy another Nokia product. I have better opinion about Samsung... :)

You are comparing apples and brinjals. :) Nokia C5 was a Symbian phone, 520 is a WindowsPhone - there is literally nothing similar between the two except the brand name Nokia.

True. I did say so in my post too. Infact, I think its a good marriage between Nokia's hardware and Windows OS. Though, I haven't used Windows phone, so don't know how good it is. I was just saying that I had bad experience with my current Nokia product, so dhoodh ka jala paani bhi phoonk phoonk kar peetha hai...

But one drawback(to my personal taste) is that windows software on the mobile seems too drab... very professional like. Compared to that Android seems to be more colorful with much greater customization facility. The homescreen is really dull and not impressive in Windows version. The android and apple homescreen are much more playful. In my mind, I associate these playful homescreens with touchscreen. So, to me, thats a drawback of windows. :oops:

Marten wrote:johneeG, you're already convinced about Sammy so not sure why you're asking others for inputs. Folks who own the same Sammy model are not, and their opinions do not match yours at all.
Symbian and WinMo are not the same OS.

Temper your decision based on the inputs you asked for, else what's the point of asking and then saying I'm not inclined to buy another Nokia product? It's not the same as your average Sammy (high end Sammys are a different beast). Try both in a showroom once again, and see what you like.

Saar,
:) I just wanted to put here that there seems to be a sammy product that is in the same price range with almost same specs as Lumia 520. I was not really asking for any inputs, but I do appreciate them. I was just putting my opinion thats all.

I have used both the high end and low end sammys(not really bought them, but used them :mrgreen: ). I didn't see any special problem as such with the Android. Maybe I am illiterate in these matters.

I was actually a fan of Nokia's hardware compared to Sammy's, thats why I went for the Nokia C5 instead of sammy in that price range.

Anyway, it seems to me that regardless of which price range one talks about, Sammy gives a good product in that price range when compared with its competition in the same price range. Generally, sammy was the first one to give more features in lower price ranges and a lot of features in the highend products as well. It seems that by and large, sammy always manages to give equal or more features than its competitor products in any given price range. And oh yeah, I love the bigger screens. Bigger the better... and, sammy is good with that too... also all the innovative stuff that sammy seems to bring is quite impressive. I am more impressed with what sammy seems to have done in the recent past than what apple has done.

Neela wrote:Was never a fan of Samsung bloatware on my phone.
But remember Mr.Schmidt's creepy statements?

EricSchmidt wrote: I ACTUALLY think most people don’t want Google to answer their questions, they want Google to tell them what they should be doing next.

EricSchmidt wrote: If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know maybe you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place

Those words from Google's top man and this article from ArsTechnica makes me a little more accommodating of bloatware.

Those are some really alarming statements. I mean people want google to tell them what they should do next?!! :eek: Whats that supposed to mean? Is google some mind programming software?

And is Eric comfortable with all his personal info and activities becoming public?

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 22 Oct 2013 07:02

lossless optical zoom is an area where phone cams still lag a lot behind the 4x-10X which is routine in most P&S bodies for long.
1.8X is still very low end...my panasonic lumix of >10 yrs ago had 4x iirc.

JohneeG saar, I have my spare duos to sell you in case you so like the product :mrgreen: @ 25% BRF friendship discount on MRP as well.

archan
Forum Moderator

Postby archan » 22 Oct 2013 09:17

:lol:
are there any ROMs available for the little boy?

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 22 Oct 2013 09:31

it is already on a ROM ....had a hard time as it came up in majestic cyrillic script...took a while to reset language back to english/

1520: the stuff that nok adds like maps , camera, panorama app , music service are all good stuff imo. they have been a bit sensible as they aren't trying to develop a parallel ecosystem of apps with the OS provider (MSFT) as opposed to samsungs agenda with android.

TSP and US alliance describe the samsung-google thing.

anmol
BRFite

Postby anmol » 22 Oct 2013 12:07

Raja Bose wrote:Singha saar, to the question when will Sammy jump ship? Like I said before, when they have their own maps/lbs and email. The article actually points out the same thing.

My guess:

There is a case going on between apple+nokia and samsung.:

http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/10/sanc ... -were.html
http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/10/appl ... m-old.html

Now that Nokia is no more competing with Samsung, and am sure the settlement in that case would involve Here license.

This should happen in ~1yr.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 22 Oct 2013 13:49

something interesting from todays slew of nok launches in abu dhabi.

The 1520 comes with a 20MP BSI F/2.4 PureView camera with OIS and Carl Zeiss lens, which numberwise isn't technically quite up to par with the 41MP sensor photography enthusiasts enjoy on the 1020, but we believe it will be more than enough for most power users. The real story with the new Lumia isn't its resolution or detail this time around, however -- it's the software capabilities of the phone. Thankfully, Nokia has combined the Pro and Smart camera lenses, which makes it much easier to switch back and forth between your preferences. There's also something Nokia calls the Refocus Lens, which is a fruit of the company's Scalado acquisition; this lens is like a software-based version of Lytro, which uses "clever algorithms" to let you change the focus of your photo after it's taken. (This lens will debut on the 1520 and eventually make it to older Lumia devices, such as the 900 series.)

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 22 Oct 2013 14:41

gizmodo.

Instagram is finally officially coming to Windows Phone via Nokia Lumias, Nokia just announced at Nokia World. Yes, you can finally stop using that silly Hipstamatic workaround.

The photo-sharing app will launch on Windows Phone in the "coming weeks." And to sweeten the deal, Windows Phone is also getting Flipboard, Vine, Temple Run 2, EA Sports, Vyclone Pro, Xbox Video, and WhatsApp, among other apps the Microsoft platform has so sorely been missing.

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Postby Mort Walker » 22 Oct 2013 15:02

Raja Bose wrote:Singha saar, to the question when will Sammy jump ship? Like I said before, when they have their own maps/lbs and email. The article actually points out the same thing.

Look for profits. As long as Sammy is making money hand-over-fist with the current arrangement, then don't expect anything to change drastically. When profits of Android devices fall for Sammy, then they will go out on their own. So far, every Galaxy S and Note have been selling well, but Sammy's decided to region lock their phones is going to be non-starter. Either they back off or sales fall. My guess is that we'll have a better understanding by summer 2014.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 22 Oct 2013 16:05

engadget:
This latest nugget of news out of Nokia's big event in Abu Dhabi should be of particular interest to mobile photographers. According to @Tnkgrl, aka our buddy Myriam Joire, the phone manufacturer will be bringing RAW image support to its flagship Lumia handsets, the 1520 and 1020. This will allow them to take 20MP or 41MP photos (respectively) with zero compression
Update: Now confirmed by Nokia camera developer, Juha Alakarhu.

---
they are also showing a sample refocus 'lens' image - can click on image to get focus at the point
http://refocus.nokia.com/

Neela
BRF Oldie

Postby Neela » 22 Oct 2013 17:50

Raja Bose wrote:Just remember, you read about it here first as to why Android is not really open source in practical terms. :mrgreen: Its makes for good PR but calling it open source is a bit of a spin. BTW Chacha services on Android (maps/mail/etc.) are not free, the handset manufacturer pays a per handset fee for those, the cost of which is passed on to the consumer.

Not sure about this.
CyanogenMod raised $7 million for a propah Android fork!
This will really hurt Google because mail, maps etc feed data to the ad-program and brings revenue (install fee bundled into the price of handset) . And if Cyanagenmod comes with decent alternatives for these key apps, then Google faces a real threat.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 22 Oct 2013 19:29

Marten I downloaded the pro cam using the proxy here. http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia ... tml?pp=100

better get it while the proxy still works. its 12mb. many older proxies are working no more.

nachiket
Forum Moderator

Postby nachiket » 22 Oct 2013 22:16

Singha wrote:The photo-sharing app will launch on Windows Phone in the "coming weeks." And to sweeten the deal, Windows Phone is also getting Flipboard, Vine, Temple Run 2, EA Sports, Vyclone Pro, Xbox Video, and WhatsApp, among other apps the Microsoft platform has so sorely been missing.

WhatsApp has already been there for a while..

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Postby Raja Bose » 22 Oct 2013 22:32

Marten wrote:^Yes, been using WhatsApp for a while on WinPh8.

Did you get the update to Nokia Camera today? God knows I use this phone more as a P&S camera than anything else! Skydrive fills up soon, so am moving it to Box accounts that I had the prescience to create when they were giving away 50GB accounts (they still do, but not in bulk). All of my Mafia Wars accounts have a Box account each. hehe.

:mrgreen: I should start charging for predictions. :wink:

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Postby Raja Bose » 22 Oct 2013 23:03

Marten wrote:RBullah, unless you predicted this in 2006, I was doing this with protos at HawaiiPotty. :p
PS: With much ghatiya cam modules tho (before you chew me out).

:rotfl: :rotfl:

nachiket
Forum Moderator

Postby nachiket » 22 Oct 2013 23:05

Marten wrote:RBullah, unless you predicted this in 2006, I was doing this with protos at HawaiiPotty. :p

This is my new favorite BRF tech-co nickname. :rotfl:

Saral
BRFite

Postby Saral » 23 Oct 2013 01:21

logged into my old yahoo email for old times sake and see spam that has accumulated over years.
1. They've knocked a lot from gmail at least in terms of looks
2. a message claims that they give the user "a terabyte" of email space.. huh?

nachiket
Forum Moderator

Postby nachiket » 23 Oct 2013 01:31

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 23 Oct 2013 07:32

I have no less than 5 cams on my phone now - the default cam, smart cam(action shots), pro cam, imagine cam, msft blink(action shots).

finally ready to challenge Mort saar & his EOS1to a duel - *shivers and hides under a dark rock*

BLINK looks great for things like capturing children running around (they never stand still) and PYTs/elites from the side in running events for later technique study...

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Postby Raja Bose » 23 Oct 2013 08:00

Just realized that the car I might be looking to buy in 2014 contains a technology I invented....so now if I buy it, I gotta pay for $hit I got paid to do in the first place? Isn't that like working for free?! :(( :((

Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Postby Sushupti » 23 Oct 2013 08:46

http://rotimatic.com/

Available in markets December onwards. And a Singapore startup which comes out with it. Shame!

Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Postby Mort Walker » 23 Oct 2013 09:37

Singha wrote:I have no less than 5 cams on my phone now - the default cam, smart cam(action shots), pro cam, imagine cam, msft blink(action shots).

finally ready to challenge Mort saar & his EOS1to a duel - *shivers and hides under a dark rock*

BLINK looks great for things like capturing children running around (they never stand still) and PYTs/elites from the side in running events for later technique study...

No challenge concerning gear. It's all about the subject you shoot, composition and being at the right place at the right time. Most importantly it is about technique and discipline and how you are able to be the master of light. I was shooting this weekend with a friend who is a professional photographer that shoots with a 5DIII, 1DMkIV, and iPhone 4 and both of us saw some great views. He paused and said, you can look at life through the view finder/screen or you can see it unfold in front of you, but do you have the discipline to take the right shot at the right time?

Larry Flynt got his fame in 1971 by paying a photographer for nanga photos of Jackie Kennedy Onasis while holidaying in the Mediterranean.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 23 Oct 2013 09:44

true that . the great ones have loads of patience, timing and light n framing skills. toys & workflow count for little in absense of that. I guess its not uncommon for a wildlife photographer to spend a day sitting in a mosquito infested hide to get 1 shot that is outstanding, or for someone to do a day hike deep into utah canyons to reach there at midday when the sun shines into the deep ravines to do a shoot with a nanga model.

its a lot of work for sure and I find it totally impossible to use my dslr as anything but a casual best-effort shooter when travelling with the family. one has to operate alone mostly for quality.

one thing I notice is pros shoot a lot of people closely..like say a flower seller lady in her stall....mostly I think they request them to act normal and spend time with the subject....in pondicherry seaface I noticed a french lady with a monopod + heavy kit had arranged for a sadhu at 6am to come and sit medidating on the seawall while she took shots from all angles.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 23 Oct 2013 11:02

engadget:

The unified forces behind Japan Display (including Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi) have announced that they've squeezed 4K resolution (3,840 x 2,160) into a 12.1-inch TFT module, creating a screen with a retina-piercing 365 pixels per inch. Revealed to display obsessives at the FPD International 2013 exhibition in Japan this week, the press release adds that the new screen module remains power-efficient and suitably thin too -- possibly the perfect business complement to the company's incoming White Magic 1080p smartphone screens.

member_20292
BRF Oldie

Postby member_20292 » 23 Oct 2013 14:02

Singha wrote:yeah but where are they going to pull the trigger? hasnt happened so far inspite of monthly imminent dark predictions from RB.

imo they dont feel confident of keeping up on the SW front...same phobia and weakness as japanese cos who came before and failed to combat the sw juggernaut that is khan cos. 95% of the worlds best selling / popular sw gets designed in and owned by some khan co.

some yindu/israeli/estonia/finn/dane/cheeni biradar may be distinguished engg and design it but
(a) will be naturalized khan citizen and carry eagle passport
(b) co will follow diktat of GOTUS when the buttons are pressed.

Singhaji.

I wonder how this situation can be remedied to the favour of millions of desi coders? Why cant India produce a huge number of globally successful startups?

Lets say you have 100 rupees to start a company in India...it seems like you would rather start a Infosys - outsourcing unit (and take advantage of low cost wages in India), rather than risk them on one coin toss of an Angry Bird App, or a Twitter .

Actually, is there any Indian company made famous app on the Android or Iphone market?

I know that Clockword Mod recovery is made by a desi with the name of Kaushik Dutta

http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/02/clo ... image.html

What else? Not too many famous websites, or programs.....or software product companies....

Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Postby Sriman » 23 Oct 2013 18:04

mahadevbhu wrote:Singhaji.

I wonder how this situation can be remedied to the favour of millions of desi coders? Why cant India produce a huge number of globally successful startups?

Lets say you have 100 rupees to start a company in India...it seems like you would rather start a Infosys - outsourcing unit (and take advantage of low cost wages in India), rather than risk them on one coin toss of an Angry Bird App, or a Twitter .

Actually, is there any Indian company made famous app on the Android or Iphone market?

What else? Not too many famous websites, or programs.....or software product companies....

There may not be lot of famous apps, but plenty of companies make money on apps. Alok Kejriwal's Games2Win is a pretty popular one (claim to be in top 20 within mobile games). There are many new start ups in niche sectors (Zomato,InterviewStreet etc). They may not be making world famous products, but you gotta start somewhere. IMO, the start up eco system is slowly being built in India. Once it reaches critical mass, we'll see more products.

member_20292
BRF Oldie

Postby member_20292 » 23 Oct 2013 23:34

But again, I do think that of course;

1. The best of Indians are in the US. Some of our Mods included...:)

2. They do not take too much risk before they get their green cards :)

negi
BRF Oldie

Postby negi » 23 Oct 2013 23:41

Mitra Ganga kinare wale ; start-up scene in India is in no way comparable to the one in Bay area but things are not that bad either it's just that it is not a glamorous field in India because captial investments don't come in easily and then the target audience is yet to attain the maturity where they welcome change and are willing to try out an Indian product. My batchmate from college has his own startup here in Bangalore they do the entire work right from conceptualizing the product, design, fab design, etching and even entire SW right from drivers to the DSP logic is done here issue is manufacturing costs in India kill them so the device is built in Cheen and sold here (they tried making it in India via Tata infotech in Goa but did not work out due to costs).

Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Postby Pratyush » 25 Oct 2013 07:28

Just had my first experience with google pluse on a desk top. It is majorly annoying. They have tried to cram every thing in one page. When all i needed was to login into my gmail. In order to send a mail.

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 25 Oct 2013 07:31

the current model is everytime someone breaks wind, the entire world must automatically get an update and the cloud provider updates his database on you.

gradually privacy fears and plain drive for simplicity will make things more reasonable and not have to turn off 20 deeply buried settings to get there, with default setting being nook nood.

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Postby SaiK » 25 Oct 2013 07:38

stats time: in billions

Code: Select all

number of people :     7
mobile phones    :     6
toilet           :     4.5
toothbrush       :     3.8

/don't ask me source

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 25 Oct 2013 13:23

gizmodo

Samsung Just Got Fined $340,000 for Paying People to Bash HTC Online
Adam Clark Estes

Sometimes companies do stupid things to market their products. A silly commercial here. A ridiculous junket there. That's all fine and good, but sometimes companies overdo it, companies like Samsung who just got slapped with a $340,000 fine in Taiwan for illegally paying people to trash talk HTC in forums.

The fine comes after Taiwan's Fair Trade Commission (FTC) opened an investigation into Samsung's marketing practice last April. The commission was specifically looking into allegations that Samsung had used a "large number of hired writers and designated employees" to "highlight the shortcomings of competing products," products that all happened to have HTC's logo on them. Those allegations turned out to be true-Samsung even admitted it-and now the company has to pay.

What's worse than Samsung's brazen astroturfing is the fact that they can't stop doing it. It's only been a few weeks since Samsung was caught bribing people to talking up their developer competition in online forums. You'd think the company would have learned from their constant patent trolling that dirty tricks don't work. [AP]

Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Postby Vayutuvan » 25 Oct 2013 22:42

Singha wrote:the current model is everytime someone breaks wind, the entire world must automatically get an update and the cloud provider updates his database on you.

gradually privacy fears and plain drive for simplicity will make things more reasonable and not have to turn off 20 deeply buried settings to get there, with default setting being nook nood.

or simple information overload will drive people off the Matrix (AKA social network) and get their real life back. I would like to play the role of "the one" to break the hold of the 8) wearing Matrix agents.

Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Postby Vayutuvan » 25 Oct 2013 22:45

$340K is peanuts compared to the amount of FUD that would have been dished out. On the other hand MS shills do it for free, but again Macs are insanely expensive so easy to tarnish them. Not so with Linux.

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Postby Raja Bose » 25 Oct 2013 23:24

^^^Still waiting for Linux to take over the world and kill all these non-free/non-open source OSs since 1998 :mrgreen: True open source and commercial does not mix except in some niche cases....plain and simple.

Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Postby Vayutuvan » 26 Oct 2013 05:05

Android and iOS are sub-classed from Linux/BSD. SO the taking over is complete unless MS does some ghotala with Surface Pro/WinMo. :wink:

Singha
BRF Oldie

Postby Singha » 26 Oct 2013 07:13

yeah but android and iOS are owned by the same big bad wolf corporates the linux was originally supposed to render irrelevant.
they have taken whatever was good in linux , packaged and branded it, monetized it and sold it back to the revolution.
even Junos is based on one fork of BSD.

only a few die hard starving rebels still continue to hold out in the wilds of the yukon territory...on fish, ducks and moose meat..a few acorns and nuts...always on the look for govt helicopters.

the rest have surrendered and settled in govt controlled lands like seattle and SFO lol.

the revolution just aint what it used to be.

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Postby Raja Bose » 26 Oct 2013 07:43

matrimc wrote:Android and iOS are sub-classed from Linux/BSD. SO the taking over is complete unless MS does some ghotala with Surface Pro/WinMo. :wink:

And neither are really open source are they? :lol: Linux was supposed to be this harbinger of Freeedddooommmmm from the big bag for-profit software companies which charge money from consumers....as it turns out when you pay for a service, you get better service. Like I said I have been hearing about this takeover of the world by Linux from OSF folks for almost 2 decades now....all I see is Mickey doing double digit growth for 3 decades now YoY, FruitCo making cash hand over fist, Chacha cleverly using the term open source for good PR and smart service play lock-down, while bearded OSF jholawallahs and other assorted hippies like Stallman keep foaming at the mouth and calling for war against the oligarchs like Arundhati. :mrgreen:

MeeGo was one of the few commercial operating systems which really tried to go open source in the right spirit....we can see where that ended up. I had to indulge in some hair tearing moments when I used to participate in the MeeGo/GENIVI automotive specs work - the open source Ayatollahs live in a world of their own, zero accountability, zero concern for consumer well-being, all they care for is their personal little ego battles over 'philosophy'. Even funnier was when becoz of all this in-fighting, a bunch of us left, created a whole new protocol from scratch, standardized it, formed a consortium between 2 industries (mobile & automotive) and got it adopted by pretty much the entire mobile industry (except FruitCo ofcourse!) and pretty much all the big automotive manufacturers (except Volvo and Tata) and now have it in products within 3 years of inception (in comparison Bluetooth took like 7 years for automotive guys to agree upon universally and adopt). While the open source ayatollahs still duke it out with zero progress in last 5 years..... :roll:

Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Postby Vayutuvan » 26 Oct 2013 11:05

My deity mon have some perspective Susan A Roy and RMS in the same breath is blasphemy Bose bossu. RMS does show froth sometimes but he is ultimately a good man. SA Roy is a different beast altogether. aap to mere evening ko barbad kar diye babu ji.

Return to “Trash Can Archive”