Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by SaiK »

they in virtualized CRM market
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Raja Bose wrote:...and the inevitable march towards convergence continues....

Microsoft's device chief sees a future without three versions of Windows

Remember, you read it here first many moons ago. :mrgreen:
Does it mean they are going to take Windows RT out the backdoor and shoot it in the head?
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Shouldn't they be shooting it in the ARM instead ?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Anujan wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:...and the inevitable march towards convergence continues....

Microsoft's device chief sees a future without three versions of Windows

Remember, you read it here first many moons ago. :mrgreen:
Does it mean they are going to take Windows RT out the backdoor and shoot it in the head?
Far from it. RT == WP == Windoze for ARM :mrgreen:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

single os may be possible owing to GUI space nearing HD resolution, and processor and ram space ever increasing, and ssd devices are becoming cheaper while a whole lot of sensors and interfaces have become miniaturized.

but they have to move more hardware abstraction layer into hardware onlee.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

That Pranav Mistry presentation is incredible (though a little short on detail). I was expecting that chap to break into a bollywood routine any moment. is he from Bihar? Accent is almost unmistakable. That choppy really enjoys his work. Prolly the next Mahdi unless Bose babu is going to step up to claim the throne.

Once I and my Bihari friend were at TIFR to meet one of my UG classmates. We went unto the front desk and asked for my classmate. Frontdesk woman says she is somewhere around here. Moi Bihari friend looks around frantically (we were standing under the Satish gujral painting) and asks repeatedly "where is sea? Where is sea?" and the receptionists coolly points out of the window at the raging sea outside. :lol: I was doubling over.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

He is pucca Gujju bhai (product of Nirma Institute of Technology). He is a smart guy but is no Mahdi (or even Jony Baba though both drive an Aston Martin DB9 :mrgreen: ). At this moment, it does look like that within the next year I might end up collaborating with him and his team though.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

rbull is upping the ante for aston martin db9!!
cool.. just share here what you end up coming up with him.

get all geared up -- makes me think, even 4G LTE may not be enough to handle traffic.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

BhairavP wrote:Anyone using the newer 8 inch Windows tabs? The dell venue pro 8 looks good, also has stylus support. For around 320 dollars and also a full copy of Office 2013, seems like a damn good deal.
BTW, it is on sale for $229 in case anyone is interested.
Walmart link
They are selling out though.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

Walker-ji: ^^ see above. That is what I mean. Info is collected but consumer watchdogs may not be the only way. Tech companies informing on one-another is another way of consumer awareness and more options on 'opt out'.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Raja Bose wrote:He is pucca Gujju bhai (product of Nirma Institute of Technology). He is a smart guy but is no Mahdi (or even Jony Baba though both drive an Aston Martin DB9 :mrgreen: ). At this moment, it does look like that within the next year I might end up collaborating with him and his team though.

As I thought, you are a hired gun, in the Clint Eastwood mould. :mrgreen:

Agle Saale baad, aap yahan Samsung ke tablets aur phone ko promote karo ge.
:)
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^Fat chance of that happening :mrgreen: Even Pranav's first effort (Galaxy Gear) is a turd as even you had yourself agreed :P This will be related to some NUI stuff they want to explore.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Ars has a nice story on the OS/2 saga. Always a nice read.
Half an operating system: the triumph and tragedy of OS/2
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Raja Bose wrote:^^^Fat chance of that happening :mrgreen: Even Pranav's first effort (Galaxy Gear) is a turd as even you had yourself agreed :P This will be related to some NUI stuff they want to explore.
The Galaxy Gear ghari fails the Mort test. That is it does not keep time well to the precision I need and it is not waterproof.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^it is waterproof and as precise as your cellphone in keeping time. Still its a turd.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

does it vibrate?

nice:
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

The lag in response to swipes/spen is very noticeable.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Raja Bose wrote:^^^it is waterproof and as precise as your cellphone in keeping time. Still its a turd.
I'm an old timer. I don't use a mobile device for time keeping as they are innaccurate. Cell communications depend on GPS lock, which isn't guaranteed. I prefer a lock to NIST which uses a Cesium isotope. Personally, I use a Rubidium source for private use.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^Who told you the cell network's time uses GPS lock for timing keeping? :lol: If that was the case even basic mobile network functionality won't work. And what do you think cell networks use as time source? The same clocks you claim to prefer. :P
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

matrimc wrote:The lag in response to swipes/spen is very noticeable.
use it for 3 months and the lag will noticeable even while using fingers.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Raja Bose wrote:^^^Who told you the cell network's time uses GPS lock for timing keeping? :lol: If that was the case even basic mobile network functionality won't work. And what do you think cell networks use as time source? The same clocks you claim to prefer. :P

You misunderstand me. Sorry. That is not what I meant. Mobile networks use WWV and gps for reference and are accurate. I was talking about something more accurate.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^Mortullah, what clock is used by mobile base stations and synchronized with the internal clock of your handset?
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Comms networks get a time lock from NIST, which uses a very accurate Cesium clock, and is broadcast for data networks and WWV radio. They take this reference and augment it with a GPS lock.

Your handset gets it from the data or voice network from the cell tower.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^Mobile base stations use the Cesium clock from NIST as a primary reference clock and have their own Rubidium clock as a secondary reference clock. They use the same sources you prefer and on top of that they need to be very precise, otherwise even basic cell communication won't work. So back to my original question, why or how is your cell phone's time less precise for your needs? :-?
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

There is error in transmission from the cell tower to your handset and I've seen this regardless of network carrier, even on your much vaunted VZW network, and on phones with different OSes. The question is why is there an error on the handset when the mobile network is accurate? It has to be the particular cell tower or a faulty handset due to h/w or s/w. My preference is to ensure my wrist watch or wall clock locks on to the NIST WWV signal.

Now, part of my response was sarcasm, and I'm sorry you didn't see that. I'm in the process of getting a rubidium source from a company a few miles from you for accurate time keeping on the order of 1 part in a few billion. Why? Low jitter, or more correctly, low phase noise, for scientific and practical applications. The cesium clock on board gps satellites is something that is desirable, but those cost more than a few thousand dollars.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^Mortullah, read again....if the clock on your cellphone was as inaccurate as you claim you would not even be able to make a single phone call. :lol: And they use the same chi chi time sources that you want so it looks like your preference is more from personal bias rather than any sound scientific reason.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

RB ji,
Speaking about cesium clocks and rubidim clocks :twisted: , can some thing be done about the presumable lack of +5:30 GMT time zone in brf ?
The forum is always ~30 min or so behind IST
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^No idea - have to ask the jarnails in Pindi.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Raja Bose wrote:^^^Mortullah, read again....if the clock on your cellphone was as inaccurate as you claim you would not even be able to make a single phone call. :lol: And they use the same chi chi time sources that you want so it looks like your preference is more from personal bias rather than any sound scientific reason.
Arre baba, I understand digital communications require an accurate and precise time source. The clock for handling your voice and data to your handset comes from the mobile network, not the internal clock on the handset. AFIK, there is no precision crystal or atomic clock in your handset.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^and where do you think the mobile phone gets the time which is displayed to you? Another clock? :P
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

But that info never gets properly displayed for whatever reason is what I'm getting at. :)
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Mortullah, why do you need atomic clocks with nanosecond precision anyway? I've always found cellphone clocks more than adequate for daily needs.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Clock is enclosed in chip interface from what I read. Maybe its used to map frequency band of communication network too.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone6.htm
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Yes. How can I launch a mijjle without it? :) BTW, I've always found the clock on my mobile off by a couple of seconds from NIST reference. Maybe adminji will tell me that I should switch to WP for better accuracy.

On a more serious note, and I haven't been in mobile tower facility in some years, there is NTP and an atomic clock that is referenced to NIST. But the tower itself will have a GPS source, but is that GPS for test or for use for other equipment at the tower?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Mort Walker wrote:But that info never gets properly displayed for whatever reason is what I'm getting at. :)
Perhaps on your Android turd :P :mrgreen:
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :mrgreen: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I knew that was too good for you to resist.

Have a happy Thanksgiving.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Of course :mrgreen: :lol: Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too.
member_23651
BRFite

Post by member_23651 »

niran wrote:now for electrifying NEWS

Man ‘electrocuted’ by iPhone 5
In July 2013, a Chinese woman died while answering her Iphone 5, which was also charging the battery
let the suits begin.
Actually I have seen same problem in my iphone 5, the current does seem to leak when charging with US two pin adapter in India. Phone registers many random gestures sometimes without anyone touching it
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

nachiket wrote:Mortullah, why do you need atomic clocks with nanosecond precision anyway? I've always found cellphone clocks more than adequate for daily needs.
He/she :P could be a physicist at NIST :P