China Watch Thread-I

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: China Watch Thread-I

Post by ramana »

Bade, Welcome back.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

^^ The situation pulled me back...with other demands of life time is a bit less for usual participation.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

maxratul wrote:India and China are locked in the Thucydides trap. Conflict is inevitable.
China and anyone or everyone is locked in it.

Also.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... 0f374a140c
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

^ Graham Allison's book on the same subject is a masterpiece.
Iyersan
BRFite

Post by Iyersan »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 462861.cms
India asks China to retreat from Bhutanese territory
War on the cards
naruto
BRFite

Post by naruto »

Is the present deliberate provocation by Chinese has anything to do with NoKo, to deflect Trump's pressure ?
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Time to go to war.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

There will be no war. Status quo ante will be restored and situation will go back to normal. It is entirely possible that the intrusion was accidental and the actual ground position is not clear to Zhongnanhai. So there will be no loss of face.

Unless a mistake is made. Then we will live on through our diasporas, and whatever is left on the land.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

JE Menon wrote:There will be no war. Status quo ante will be restored and situation will go back to normal. It is entirely possible that the intrusion was accidental and the actual ground position is not clear to Zhongnanhai. So there will be no loss of face.

Unless a mistake is made. Then we will live on through our diasporas, and whatever is left on the land.
LOL. What?? Live on through our diasporas?! Surely you jest.

We hold massive advantages along our border with Cheen in troops and equipment due to geography and geo-politics.

No, it is time for war. And unlike the Paki conflicts, this one will herald our arrival as a great power. It'll be our equivalent of the Spanish-American of Russo-Japanese wars. Our signature fight.

Let's go, Jawans!
Iyersan
BRFite

Post by Iyersan »

The Chinese will use Ambani as a weapon. Too much damn money of the Gujju bros is at stake. No war will happen. The Gujju bros might as India to handover land to China
Dumal
BRFite

Post by Dumal »

The latest demarche from the Hans - "withdraw immediately and unconditionally before any dialogue" is apparently a video message released by a political counselor from the Chinese Embassy in Delhi. It started with the PLA Generals and maybe their Foreign Ministry spokies. And then it was their ambassador in Delhi and now it is a lowly counselor. What does the pattern signify? No let up in the stridency though!
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

chola wrote: http://www.firstpost.com/india/amid-sik ... 81543.html
Amid Sikkim border row, China slams India for trampling on Panchsheel: Beijing never cared for 1954 agreement
India and China are at loggerheads over the border issue, with the center of the latest standoff being the border along the state of Sikkim. Beijing and New Delhi are engaged in a diplomatic standoff in the Doka La area near the Bhutan Tri-Junction for the past 20 days after a Chinese army's construction party came to build a road in the region. Bhutan is also engaged in talks with China over the resolution of the area. However, Bhutan has no diplomatic ties with China and it is supported militarily and diplomatically by India. While India blamed China's aggressive road building for the crisis, Beijing, on the other hand, criticised New Delhi for "misleading the public" over the issue, and claimed that Indian troops were transgressing into the Chinese territory. The ongoing border dispute has affected the Kailash Mansarovar yatra after China closed the Nathu La pass in Sikkim for 50 pilgrims. The Chinese foreign ministry added that the pass would open only after Indian troops "withdraw" from Chinese territory.
On Wednesday, China accused India of "trampling" on the Panchasheel principles and asked New Delhi to "correct its mistakes" as soon as possible by pulling back troops.
"Troops should be pulled back as soon as possible to demonstrate the sincerity to improve bilateral ties so as create conditions for the normal development of bilateral relations," Gen Shuang of the Chinese foreign ministry said on Wednesday.
I forgot all about the great panchasheel. India has to pull out, troops I mean, nothing else.
Gautam
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Dumal wrote:The latest demarche from the Hans - "withdraw immediately and unconditionally before any dialogue" is apparently a video message released by a political counselor from the Chinese Embassy in Delhi. It started with the PLA Generals and maybe their Foreign Ministry spokies. And then it was their ambassador in Delhi and now it is a lowly counselor. What does the pattern signify? No let up in the stridency though!
The pattern's significance? They are warning us to death.

Hopefully, while they are warning us, the GOI and IA are preparing for war.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

The prime threat from China in Tibet are the SAMs.

I would consider China is serious about a fight, once the S300 and Chinese copies move in to Tibet.

I hope the SFF is already in standby or infiltrated for some S300 hunting. They have been waiting for a fight for decades.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Malabar begins in 4 days; North Korea is super hot with Nikki Haley threatening war. China would be crazy to escalate. Tiny peaceful landlocked Bhutan, not "belligerent" India, would raise a stink at the UN.

Yet, we need to be prepared and ever vigilant. This may be a great opportunity to draw up a Bhutan Border Roads program.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Let's wait for the deadline to come.

Thoughts on an Indo-China N-spat:
We must not rule out planning for a pre-emptive N-strike in the worst case scenario.Intel from friendly nations will be able to warn us,as well as our own sats,of any imminent PLA N-strike.But this is also going to be detrimental to China because it too will suffer catastrophic casualties if even half-a-doz. Indian WMDs get through.Wiping out China's main cities will be a catastrophe for it,setting it back at least a century. The global community will desert China in toto and set up new manufacturing units in Africa and S/Central America.
But this is the last thing that China wants.It has always used Sun Tzu's art of "winning a war without having to fight it",using bullying tactics.

What is a distinct possibility is a conventional spat,with China choosing its point/points of adventurism.Recently,there was a superb documentary of the Yom Kippur War,between Israel and Egypt/Syria. Thogub tipped off in advance about an imminent Egyptian assault to cross the Suez Canal,Israel waited for Egypt to strike first for international "aggrieved nation" reasons,winning the moral battle. But the Egyuptians really surprised the Israelis who suffered v.heavy casualties.The Syrian short break after over-running the Golan Heights and not penetrating into Israel cost the dearly as Israeli reserves rushed to save the situ and bloodied the Syrians using superior tank assets and tactics.

The Egyptians moved Soviet SAMs across the canal,but against the please of the army chief who wanted Egypt to accept the cease-fire offer made by Israel,was stupidly overruled by their gen/Def. Min. and Sadat,heady with their initial successes,ordered the army to advance to the Sinai passes,just what the Israelis had hoped for.They were defeated by the Israeli armour,who now took on the offensive,encircled the Egyptian forces who had crossed the canal,saw off the Sov. SAMs which had brought down many Israeli fighters, and brilliantly crossed the canal themselves to outflank and encircle the Egyptian forces,threatening their total destruction. Sadat now caved in and with Russian and Henry K's help, negotiated a ceasefire that benefited Israel more (who ignored it to further improve their positions) before the fighting stopped. In retrospect,Egypt by inflicting large losses upon the Israelis for the first time,shattered their aura of invincibility. Gold M resigned shortly afterwards and the blame was laid at the feet of Israeli intel and some generals,sparing Gen. Moshe Dayan,who was the then Def. Min. Syria came off worst,losing more territory than before the war.This war however led to the Camp David summit and the accord,where Egypt regained the Sinai in return for peace with Israel. The Israeli-Palestinian peace hasn't happened as yet,but it has been able to split its former enemies with Egypt,Jordan and many other Arab nations recognising it and have sheathed their swords as well.

The point that I'm making is to observe how the Israelis fought back splendidly after initial setbacks.WE must prepare plans for our own offensive into Tibet,at areas where we can hold territory,inflict huge casualties upon PLA forces and slice their lines of Commns. in TIbet "trapping" their forces who are thousands of kms from Beijing! For this we obviously need a v.large number of troops,spl forces like ITBP,etc.,logistic capability in the form of heavy helos,more C-130Js for spl forces/commandos,transports for para-commandos,more front-lin aircraft for the IAF to counter the PLAAF,etc.LR strike cutting the rail link to Tibet abso. essential.tunnels,bridges,Karakoram Highway to be massively targeted both by aircraft and PGMs.BMos is going to be a major factor/game changer here.

Similarly in the maritime dimension,we must deal with PLAN assets,destroying them -those that have intruded into the IOR first,then attack their merchant shipping/tanker fleet,capturing/destroying as much as we can,simply closing the Malacca Straits to the PLAN .In addition,we too must (through our subs) remain in an advanced forward deployment so that we can "light a few fires" in the Indo-China Sea ! The LIaoning the prime target-one is sure that we could hit it with an Agni series BM as well ,with targeting data from our def/maritime sats.

The need of the hour is immediate supplies of weaponry,munitions,spares,petro products,etc.,which will enable us to fight an intense war with China on sev. fronts for at least 3 months.I am sure that Mr.Modi has used the opportunity of his visit to israel to present a list of most urgent needs.
WE now need to gear ourselves up to also winning the "Propaganda War",equally important,an prepare ourselves for a no-holds-barred diplomatic offensive. The cyber-warfare requirement should actually precede the actual fighting on the ground/sea,putting the Chinese on the defensive.
Last edited by Philip on 06 Jul 2017 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

China cancels meeting ar G20, saying atmosphere not conducive. They dont want to de-escalate. What gives?
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Chandragupta wrote:China cancels meeting ar G20, saying atmosphere not conducive. They dont want to de-escalate. What gives?
Prepare for war. It will be fun.
Iyersan
BRFite

Post by Iyersan »

Chandragupta wrote:China cancels meeting ar G20, saying atmosphere not conducive. They dont want to de-escalate. What gives?
Where is the source of this news?
No Bilateral talks mean war post Malabar exercise??
Saurav Jha stating that increased ariel activity observed on LAC. Ariel transgressions might occur
:evil: :twisted:
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

Breaking now on Times Now. They have said not even a pull aside talk.
Iyersan
BRFite

Post by Iyersan »

Chandragupta wrote:Breaking now on Times Now. They have said not even a pull aside talk.
Border war anybody??
Sanjiv
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sanjiv »

Is Graham Allison's new book out in the USA
I cannot get my copy till July the 14th in the UK
Deans
BRF Oldie

Post by Deans »

The China standoff is developing fast, can we put everything in one thread ?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

India must use the opportunity to warn the G-20 about Chinese aggressive intentions,bullying and warmongering,threatening war against India and lobby for as much diplomatic,military and moral support,and suggests that similar sanctions be imposed upon China which are bing imposed upon NoKo,China's nuclear surrogate.The Dpl. and propaganda war must be won by India.

China is also shying away from the G-20 after NoKo's ICBM test launch. It has lost considerable face with the West /US ,who had hoped that it would be able to rein in the "Young Un's" nuclear and BM tantrums. However,the situ has certainly deteriorated as China may try to deflect the NoKo issue by attacking India and hope that a spat between us will deflect attention from its failure of its intl. obligations reg. NoKo.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Chola

You misunderstood me. I said "unless a mistake is made"... that mistake will lead to comprehensive nuclear war, and neither will "win".

There is only one option: restore status quo ante.

There is no need for talks, and no need for loss of face for Beijing.

This is not the South China Sea.
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

Will Pakistan test its luck along with the Chipandas?
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Yes. But in the slyest possible ways.
Iyersan
BRFite

Post by Iyersan »

It will be a 2 and half front war. I feel that Indian Gov must make military service mandatory like Israel. We are locked by enemy on all sides
There will be a war now. Mark my words
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

JE Menon wrote:Chola

You misunderstood me. I said "unless a mistake is made"... that mistake will lead to comprehensive nuclear war, and neither will "win".

There is only one option: restore status quo ante.

There is no need for talks, and no need for loss of face for Beijing.

This is not the South China Sea.
Nuclear war will not happen unless we detached Tibet or they AP. Anything along the borders will not trigger total.

In 1969, the USSR and Cheen fought a series of fairly bloody battles in Siberia. No nukes. So there is already a cheeni precedence for a conventional fight between nuclear states without going total.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>Anything along the borders will not trigger total.

Who assured this?
Chandragupta
BRF Oldie

Post by Chandragupta »

About time we raise defense spending upto at least 2.5% of GDP. Economic development will not help in defending the borders. Will the soldiers wave bijli connections at the intruding Chinese? Already UPA has done terrible damage to our fighting capabilities, our defense spending has to be doubled in order to take the Chipandas & their whores to task. I hope Modi implements this in the next budget.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

JE Menon wrote:>>Anything along the borders will not trigger total.

Who assured this?
There is never 100% guarantee of anything. Just probabilities. The probability of nuclear war with Cheen, a rational trading state with its war fighting population composed of a spoiled single-child generation, over some barely inhabited rocks in oxygen-deprived altitude is very low.
Iyersan wrote:It will be a 2 and half front war. I feel that Indian Gov must make military service mandatory like Israel. We are locked by enemy on all sides
There will be a war now. Mark my words
If Pakis enter this fight, then they will take the brunt of the punishment regardless of what happens with Cheen. Hate with the porkis is at another level than with hans.

By the second day we'll be overrunning Sindh and that is when nook war is a serious threat. Porkis are not rational people.
naruto
BRFite

Post by naruto »

China cancels meeting which isn't​ there in the first place. :rotfl: Typical Chinese bluffing.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Iyersan wrote:
Chandragupta wrote:Breaking now on Times Now. They have said not even a pull aside talk.
Border war anybody??
What's the proverb - Barking Dogs Seldom Bite. But the Chinese are not dogs. That would be an insult to Dogs. The Chinese are overgrown, fat lizards.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

http://www.oneindia.com/international/i ... 87411.html
Indo-China Stand off: China rules out bilateral talks at G20 summit sidelines
Beijing, July 6: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping are unlikely to have a bilateral meeting on the sidelines of G20 summit in Hamburg as China called off the meeting by stating,"atmosphere not conducive" amidst a standoff on Indo-China border at Sikkim. "The atmosphere is not right for a bilateral meeting between President Xi and Prime Minister Modi," a Chinese foreign ministry official said ahead of the G20 Summit which will be held in the German city of Hamburg from Friday.
The statement comes amid escalating tension between India and China. While Modi and the Chinese president will hold bilateral meetings with other leaders at the summit, they will not face each other directly.
Gautam
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

The more I see of our Dlagon Blothers, the more I am tempted to go back and read "Why Nations Fail?". Striking parallels to some of the situations we keep discussing of a possible Chinese implosion. I think I am going to go home tonight and reread book . But here's my 2 ¥ of humble postulates based on what's been discussed.
  1. China is facing internal pressures with the slowdown in economy, bad debts. Till now economic growth has been predicated by moving people by fiat from agriculture sector to manufacturing and services dependent to a great extent of exports. Not having a productive/ competitive dynamics internally would have seen capital being mis-allocated. The system is not efficient and has reached a situation of diminishing marginal returns. OBOR is an extreme effort to keep the engines running in this growth by fiat scheme.
  2. The unspoken contract between the Communist Farty (sic), and the masses was, don't ask for freedoms or fairness in inclusive economic. We will keep the economic engine booming, you will grow with it. in exchange you will not ask questions on freedom, wisdom of the Farty, how officials grow rich. You will not raise your voices, when you see other citizens being deprived of rights. Today this status quo is coming under question from citizens.
  3. The Farty realizes, that if this is allowed to happen, then they will face Colour Revolutions, disturbances, everywhere. In this crisis time the best way to divert attention is to create an external bogey. South China Sea was one of the earlier ones. The problem is what happens if your opponent gives in? yes, you have made incremental gains, but soon the restive masses like the Plebs in Ancient Rome demand a more exciting Circus.[So you have to bring in bigger animals, more gladiators. India is the next gladiator. Hence the publicity on Weibo, etc- "beeg show, see how the benevolent fatherly party protects you from eebil yindoos. Come glab youl seats." Even if we were to acquiesce to Cheeni demands, they will not be able to stop. They will have to instigate another fight. More territory grab in India. Even if we become the vassal, then China will move on to another country. Maybe Japan, maybe the US. Like a junkie, they need bigger and bigger highs to just keep going and keeping the common citizens from questioning the Farty. Backing down before China is not possible. Their demands will keep growing.
  4. IMVHO, if we are able to stand our ground, then we can push back the bully. We may not win, but we are not going to lose either. The key is to stop dhoti-shivering. Image
  5. But the biggest fallout is for the Lizard if we stand our ground. now that they have promised a spectacle to the masses, a less than clear victory will seriously dent the party's strongman image. Not only will they start facing questions outside, but even smaller nations will start questioning the writ. Losing face here could see a rash of loan defaults, pushback from external states.
  6. IMVVHO, Dlagon is a hurtling train wreck. This confrontation with India is not the moment that it gets derailed, this is one of the larger speed bumps which is going to increase loss of control and accelerate the eventual demise of a totalitarian state run by fiat for the benefit of an elite.India is not what is going to bring down China, contrary to our believed opinions, it is already out of control due to internal factors. The demise of the Dlagon is on the cards
  7. Now what is going to happen to India, I don't know. I do not think we will face an overwhelming onslaught. Maybe a sharp slap on the wrist. If we resist, and are able to gain a victory somewhere else, Dlagon will claim victory, make a brouhaha, and divert attention to another manufactured crisis. Our presstitues will get their lifafas and write how we got taught a lesson. Western ifafas will come and the other story will be how weak but democratic India needs YouEss/ Western help to stand up to the Dlagon. We at BRF will debate.
  8. My fervent hope is that for once we stand up. We push back. We not only manage the cirsis, but also the psot-crisis media circus. For once let us believe in ourself. And also understand that this is not an end all situation, this is one of the steps to reclaiming our position in the world stage.
    There will be more future challenges from the Dlagon and its goat-bred puppy dog, which we will have to keep fighting off.
Sorry for the long post, but writing down helped me clarify my own thoughts and line of argument with my peacenik acquaintances. Would appreciate if gurus on the forum would share their inputs or point out fallacies in my arguments.
Last edited by Mukesh.Kumar on 06 Jul 2017 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>There is never 100% guarantee of anything. Just probabilities. The probability of nuclear war with Cheen, a rational trading state with its war fighting population composed of a spoiled single-child generation, over some barely inhabited rocks in oxygen-deprived altitude is very low.

That's correct, which is why I said "unless they make a mistake".
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

BBC is reporting that they have allowed the pilgrims to visit the mansarovar lake.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40478813 (last section)
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Mukesh.Kumar wrote:The more I see of our Dlagon Blothers, the more I am tempted to go back and read "Why Nations Fail?". Striking parallels to some of the situations we keep discussing of a possible Chinese implosion. I think I am going to go home tonight and reread book . But here's my 2 ¥ of humble postulates based on what's been discussed.
  1. China is facing internal pressures with the slowdown in economy, bad debts. Till now economic growth has been predicated by moving people by fiat from agriculture sector to manufacturing and services dependent to a great extent of exports. Not having a productive/ competitive dynamics internally would have seen capital being mis-allocated. The system is not efficient and has reached a situation of diminishing marginal returns. OBOR is an extreme effort to keep the engines running in this growth by fiat scheme.
  • [**]The unspoken contract between the Communist Farty (sic), and the masses was, don't ask for freedoms or fairness in inclusive economic. We will keep the economic engine booming, you will grow with it. in exchange you will not ask questions on freedom, wisdom of the Farty, how officials grow rich. You will not raise your voices, when you see other citizens being deprived of rights. Today this status quo is coming under question from citizens.
  • The Farty realizes, that if this is allowed to happen, then they will face Colour Revolutions, disturbances, everywhere. In this crisis time the best way to divert attention is to create an external bogey. South China Sea was one of the earlier ones. The problem is what happens if your opponent gives in? yes, you have made incremental gains, but soon the restive masses like the Plebs in Ancient Rome demand a more exciting Circus.[So you have to bring in bigger animals, more gladiators. India is the next gladiator. Even if we were to acquiesce to Cheeni demands, they will not be able to stop. They will have to instigate another fight. More territory grab in India. Even if we become the vassal, then China will move on to another country. Maybe Japan, maybe the US. Like a junkie, they need bigger and bigger highs to just keep going and keeping the common citizens from questioning the Farty. Backing down before China is not possible
This situation will be exacerbated in the coming years. India is getting its act right which means not only slow dwindling of the positive balance of payments position China has vis a vis India but also losing a chunk of their export market. All this might be an attempt at slowing down India, perhaps showing India as unstable to investors and discouraging investments into India.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

chola wrote:Time to go to war.
Don't forget to use the IAF this time.