China Watch Thread-I

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Re: China Watch Thread-I

Post by Vayutuvan »

May be they will blame Japan nuclear reactor accident.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Concussion. Probably shock wave from the air blast. Don't they use explosives for fishing? It is banned in many places, but done.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

What about the white foam "manna"? Quite a bit of that got into the sea possibly.Some species of fish are very sensitive to water quality. If it is chemical poisoning, that's even worse than concussion. The non-dead fish will find their way into fine dining restaurants serving freshly caught yummy "manna" fed fish. The foam reminds me of vritra.

Vritra From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
King of gods kills the vritrasura with a thunderbolt. In the early Vedic religion, Vritra (Vṛtra वृत्र "the enveloper"), is an Asura and also a serpent or dragon, the personification of drought (desolation of Gobi Desert) and adversary of Indra. Vritra was also known in the Vedas as Ahi ("snake"). He appears as a dragon blocking the course of the rivers (brahmaputra)and is heroically slain by Indra.

Vedic version:
According to the Rig Veda, Vritra kept the waters of the world captive until he was killed by Indra, who destroyed all the 99 fortresses of Vritra (although the fortresses are sometimes attributed to Sambara) before liberating the imprisoned rivers (I am reminded of bhagiratha who got ganga down from heavens after ghOra tapasya). The combat began soon after Indra was born, and he had drunk a large volume of Soma (asterix drinking the magic potion)at Tvashtri's house to empower him before facing Vritra. Tvashtri fashioned the thunderbolt (Vajrayudha) for Indra, and Vishnu, when asked to do so by Indra, made space for the battle by taking the three great strides for which Vishnu became famous. Vritra broke Indra's two jaws during the battle, but was then thrown down by Indra and, in falling, crushed the fortresses that had already been shattered. For this feat, Indra became known as Vritrahan "slayer of Vritra" and also as "slayer of the first-born of dragons". Vritra's mother, Danu (dan hu?) (who was also the mother of the Danava race of Asuras), was then attacked and defeated by Indra with his thunderbolt. In one of the versions of the story, three Devas - Varuna, Soma and Agni - were coaxed by Indra into aiding him in the fight against Vritra whereas before they had been on the side of Vritra (who they called "Father").
In one verse of a Rig-Vedic hymn eulogising Sarasvati, she is portrayed as the one who slayed Vritra (knowledge winning over ignorance :) ).
There are more links where Indra slays vritra after infusing his vajra with foam (as he previously gives a promise to vritra the dragon who stopped rains that he will not use any weapons to stay him.
vritra coiled at the bottom of the mount himavat and prevented from rain falling to earth ...
Search for the words sea foam weapon hindu myth
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 22 Aug 2015 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Any photos?
Maybe a lot of detergent got blown into the atmosphere and came down with the rain. No one seems to have died touching the foam or getting wet in the rain. Maybe it was firefighting foam. After initial misadventure of pouring water on to unknown chemicals and huge explosion, the firefighters would have brought in foam in hundreds of truckloads.

P.S. what do our friends at the chinese websites say?
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

UB I saw a website linked from one of the BRF threads - may be this very thread itself. People might not have died or might have. 120 people have died in the explosion or none have died in the explosion. This is China we are getting information from now.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Looks like Diwali's come early to China this year.
BBC:China explosion: Fires at Shandong chemical plant
Shandong Province:

And here was the earlier one in Tiajin. What gives?

Edited later:Update from People's Daily Twitter feed-
[CT Alert]Looks bad. Have a sinking feeling that this is an Insurance scam to claim damages for redundant inventory. [CT Alert off]
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Now the western media will go on a frenzy. How many warehouse fires have there been in, say, the yoo Ess this year?

Todin: California.
http://abc7news.com/news/large-fire-des ... jo/950340/

Atlanta GA February
http://www.ajc.com/gallery/news/warehou ... ord/gCQy4/

LaPorte, TX, todin:
http://abc13.com/news/warehouse-truck-c ... te/951968/

July 22, North Brunswick, NJ
http://pix11.com/2015/07/22/huge-wareho ... brunswick/

Ah rest mah cyayse!
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

This image is really like what Houristan must look like

The air burst is what intrigues me. How did such a massive detonation develop inside whatever was rising there? Allo experts?

The first blast was a warehouse blast. The second one, way up, was just something entirely different. We are not getting any real info on that one.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

With all that, Canada is in worse shape because fracking has fracked.
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

In another news, about 6000 land rovers were declared lost in the Tianjin blast, TATA's loss. The picture with gutted cars didn't seem of land rovers.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

UlanBatori wrote:With all that, Canada is in worse shape because fracking has fracked.
Canada and Germany have universal healthcare too. Canada has high taxes - one hears they are higher than US. What gives? Since money is fungible, very clear they are living beyond their means. One wonders how UK mangled not to get in the list.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

With all that, Canada is in worse shape because fracking has fracked
And, just recently, China bought some of these Canadian companies.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

30% is very high number. thats like a debt oriented balanced mutual fund with 70% in bonds and 30% in stocks.

our EPF is still fighting over 1% or not
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/wea ... 803855.cms

in amrika the 401k does give the option of a range of funds including entirely in equity...but its left upto the individual.and people are strongly urged to shift more and more into bonds as they age.
Abhay_S
BRFite

Post by Abhay_S »

Singha wrote:30% is very high number. thats like a debt oriented balanced mutual fund with 70% in bonds and 30% in stocks.

our EPF is still fighting over 1% or not
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/wea ... 803855.cms

in amrika the 401k does give the option of a range of funds including entirely in equity...but its left upto the individual.and people are strongly urged to shift more and more into bonds as they age.

Lately the most popular funds are the Retirement Date Funds that re-balance with the investors age from stocks to Bonds
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://econimica.blogspot.in/2015/08/th ... -than.html

cheen is approaching a crossover point where >40yo outnumber the <40yo in around 10 years.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Chna tanking,taking global markets down with her!
Our Rupee is also heading steadily south!

http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... rkets-live
Stock market rout wipes £50bn off FTSE 100 in China panic - live

Wall Street expected to tumble, following losses in Europe and Asia, as concern grows over China’s economy, and Beijing’s ability to handle the crisis
Latest: FTSE 100 keeps tumbling
Summary: European market slide after Asian rout
Chinese stock market tumbled 8.5%; biggest fall since 2007

Analyst: Beijing isn’t in control
Beijing poised to flood the market with cash, says WSJ

Japan’s Nikkei slid 4.6%
Australia has worst day in six years
5 mins ago.
This is turning into a major selloff -- the FTSE 100 is now down a whopping 275 points, or almost 4.5%, at 5914 points.

25m ago
12:27
FTSE 100 hits new lows, now down 3.5%
The rout is deepening.

The FTSE 100 just fell below the 6000 point-mark again, as traders react to predictions of a heavy selloff on Wall Street.

The blue-chip index is now down over 220 points or 3.5% at 5964 points, its lowest level since January 2013.

If it finishes there, then more than £50bn would have been wiped off the collective value of the 100 companies on the index (we’ll get the official verdict after 4.30pm BST, when the market closes).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/
'Black Monday': £56bn is wiped off the FTSE as panic grips global financial markets

A businessman stands in front of a display showing closing information of Tokyo's Nikkei Stock Average in Tokyo

Bloodbath on exchanges across the world, after Chinese stocks suffer worst trading in eight years - follow the latest news with Mehreen Khan
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

beijing is also gearing up for a huge military parade. i saw a photo on cnn with the silhouettes of 34 wz10 attack helis flying in a swarm during practice session.

this stock market and tianjin thing has come at a delicate time, when all was supposed to be spit n polish and a strong fist could be shaken at enemies.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

"OCTOBER: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The other are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February." - Mark Twain
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

The temptation of a "short victorious war" to unify the country and buy time and goodwill would be very strong right now in the higher echelons of the party & Govt. Need to watch carefully for deliberate PLA provocations in disputed areas.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Good point there. But consider - India is no push over unlike 1962 (or so one hopes). It would not be a short war victorious or otherwise. Vietnam definitely is much better prepared with no sino-phile faction. Raking up Taiwan issue or threatening them will tank US treasury somewhat with Chinese holding a -3 T bag. Japan under US protection is not going to be a pushover. May be Phillipines. They won't go as far out as Indonesia. Do they even have a navy that can fight a war that far off from Beijing/Shanghai? Australia is any way their - pardon my Chinese - running dog as well as the US's running dog.

May be a short staged war with NoKo with some political prisoners on both taking part in the war - like modern day gladiators.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad and Xi are longtime friends, with a unique relationship nurtured over 30 years and strengthened by several high-profile meetings in recent years.

Asked about Branstad's reaction to Walker's anti-China stance Monday, Branstad spokesman Jimmy Centers told The Des Moines Register: "China is a valuable trading partner for Iowa and the state has had a friendly relationship with President Xi dating back to his first visit to Iowa in 1985."

Xi and Branstad first met 30 years ago when Xi visited Iowa as part of a sister-state exchange program.
They have renewed their friendship relationship with back and forth visits, including on a trade mission Branstad led to China in 2013.

Walker has leaned on his relationship with Iowa's governor to gain access to Xi, whose country is an important agricultural trading partner. Xi rarely meets with heads of state, governors and other high-ranking government officials, but Branstad took Walker, the governor of Wisconsin, and Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell with him on a visit with Xi to China's Great Hall of the People in April 2013.

Walker at that time talked about the importance of strengthening a relationship with one of the world's fastest-growing economies, but he appeared to reverse that stance Monday, saying China should be held accountable for undermining U.S. interests.

"Americans are struggling to cope with the fall in today's markets driven in part by China's slowing economy and the fact that they actively manipulate their economy," Walker's statement said. "Rather than honoring Chinese President Xi Jinping with an official state visit next month, President Obama should focus on holding China accountable over its increasing attempts to undermine U.S. interests. Given China's massive cyberattacks against America, its militarization of the South China Sea, continued state interference with its economy, and persistent persecution of Christians and human rights activists, President Obama needs to cancel the state visit. There's serious work to be done rather than pomp and circumstance. We need to see some backbone from President Obama on U.S.-China relations."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /32294887/

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/20 ... aming.html
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Whole Chinese Econ Crisis makes no sense. If my stocks had gone up 60% in a year, I would be racing to sell, with a big grin: anyone could see that downside risk >>>>> upside potential. So my guess is that Pee All See institutional investors (translation PeeEllAy) would have been super-ready to sell, and really unloaded first. Leaving Loundeye Impeliarist Capitarist Lunning Dogs stuck with only a mere 40% profit that they can take out even now. So who really is taking the beating? Those who bought in recently.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

noko is their cats paw.

philipines is the likely candidate for a short sharp reef war. land wars are messy and can escalate out of control over 1000s of km in the case of india...the last thing their stock market sentiment needs.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

That is the reason why I am saying they can stage manage a war with expendable a on both sides. Nobody who ow anybody would believe but then that is not the goal, right? Plebs of Pee all sea have to belief and get distracted from the daily owes of their regimented lives. Otherwise they might get restive and stop taking their soma pills.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Philip wrote: Wall Street expected to tumble, following losses in Europe and Asia, as concern grows over China’s economy, and Beijing’s ability to handle the crisis
Its a very convenient trick to blame someone else for the problems. The monday crash had nothing to do with CHINA. It was everything to do with Wall Street shortermism and buybacks of US corporations inflating their own stocks. The real correction is yet to begin. This was but a precursor.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

vayu tuvan wrote:Good point there. But consider - India is no push over unlike 1962 (or so one hopes). It would not be a short war victorious or otherwise. Vietnam definitely is much better prepared with no sino-phile faction. Raking up Taiwan issue or threatening them will tank US treasury somewhat with Chinese holding a -3 T bag. Japan under US protection is not going to be a pushover. May be Phillipines. They won't go as far out as Indonesia. Do they even have a navy that can fight a war that far off from Beijing/Shanghai? Australia is any way their - pardon my Chinese - running dog as well as the US's running dog.

May be a short staged war with NoKo with some political prisoners on both taking part in the war - like modern day gladiators.
The objective would be to unify the country behind the party by portraying themselves as victims, then to boost support by defeating the enemy - buying time and distracting the public. As an added advantage, you can also blame stock market crash on the evil capitalists !

So, NoKo won't excite a country as much as a small, local conflict with Vietnam or Japan or (maybe) India would. Or if that is too much of a risk, incite a rebellion in Tibet, kill a few PLA soldiers and blame it on Tibetans, and get US to condemn/sanction it.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

October bloodbath advanced this year to September?
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

UlanBatori wrote:October bloodbath advanced this year to September?
I think the earlier model of Chinese economy reached saturation and dead-end. They were planning for course-correction. This seems to be the course-correction. They have been collecting a great reserve for this event. I think they'll manage. In short term, this is a benefit for Bhaarath. I do hope and pray that China is able to hold on until the rise of Bhaarath atleast.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://www.wsj.com/articles/glut-of-chi ... 1440541036

it seems steel can be endlessly recycles and share of recycled steel in US steel production is 75% vs 10% in china at present.

so all the big mining countries are going to take a hit as china does not need to import a great deal of ore anymore, just recycle.

already it has 5 tons of steel per capita.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Singha wrote:http://www.wsj.com/articles/glut-of-chi ... 1440541036

it seems steel can be endlessly recycles and share of recycled steel in US steel production is 75% vs 10% in china at present.

so all the big mining countries are going to take a hit as china does not need to import a great deal of ore anymore, just recycle.

already it has 5 tons of steel per capita.
OT:

The three age system of Archeology is unmindful of this simple method utilized by civilizations. Three age system of Archeology divides history into 3 groups: stone age, bronze age, and iron age. It is based on the archeological samples. Some samples are entirely stone based. Some have bronze also. Some have iron also. So, they assume that this shows steady increase of technology in the samples. They assume that the samples having only stone must be the oldest and the samples with iron must be the newest. They miss the point of recycling. May the stone samples are the newest because the whole bronze and iron has been recycled.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

OT2:
In fact we should start a movement to highlight the catastrophic implications of Global Slowing. Consider this: the Earth's core is mostly iron. But if u bring it out to the surface and build skyscrapers, what r u doing, hain? U r INCREASING THE MOMENT OF INERTIA without imparting any new angular momentum (Unless u get Arundhati Roy to always talk facing west). So the Earth is slowing down.

IOW, the days and nights are getting longer; the years are getting shorter. Wonder at what attitude the Earth will stop. Real estate in the Twilight Zone - the only habitable part - will go through the roof, there will be terrible wars to claim that narrow strip. The oceans on the hot side will vaporize and accumulate as ice on the Dark side - locking the attitude (worked the other way with Earth-Moon, I think, with inward gravitational pull winning, so I am not sure.).

Thus, iron recycling must be mandated, and ppl should be given Iron Credits for burying iron deeper. This could become the next Big Wave, with a website called PointIron tracking the growth of Iron Credits. Let's start at $40 per metric ton of iron buried at least 100 meters below the surface. Next, a conference called UNFGMC: United Nations Forum on Global Momentum Change. Next, national quotas to roll back Momentum change to 1990 levels. Any debates would have to be conducted with speakers always Facing West.
Imagine! If 1.4B Chinese and 1.26B Indians were to Face West and say Aaaah-Choooo! how much angular momentum would be added.
member_20067
BRFite

Post by member_20067 »

Chinese rocket stage landed up in rural China !! wtf.. !!

http://spaceflightnow.com/2015/01/04/ph ... ral-china/

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Look at the yellow smoke: Nitric acid fumes? And all those kids handling that nozzle!! At least the military guys are wearing gas masks.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Who's how dependent on PRC...

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Who does Pakistan export to? Not Tarrel and Deepel fliends?
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

There are no country boundaries either. Economyth.com is showing akhanD bhArat onlee.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

the link says

hydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide propellants