China Watch Thread-I

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
member_23692
BRFite

Re: China Watch Thread-I

Post by member_23692 »

China calls halt to island building in South China Sea. Sign of compromise?

http://news.yahoo.com/china-calls-halt- ... 10359.html

Any confirmation of this ?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Has she said that the SCS is not chinese waters?

china needs to dismantle what she has built. Else what is the use. She can always place military equipment on them at any time.
Liu
BRFite

Post by Liu »

rsangram wrote:
China calls halt to island building in South China Sea. Sign of compromise?

http://news.yahoo.com/china-calls-halt- ... 10359.html

Any confirmation of this ?
it is just a tactic retreat. typhoon season is coming…the islandd building has to be suspended for the coming typhoons,
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

muraliravi
BRF Oldie

Post by muraliravi »

https://in.news.yahoo.com/china-makes-f ... 12856.html

China makes first electric passenger plane
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

china equity bubble implodes-Margin lending and the stimulus that will never come spook China's stock markets into correction territory
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/chin ... lodes.html

excerpts
Since the beginning of the year China’s stock market bubble has inflated to epic proportions as speculators piled in by borrowing money to buy stocks in ever larger volumes. At the beginning of the year, the value of outstanding loans used by securities firms to fund investment had swollen to exceed $260bn. By the beginning of this month that figure had grown to $364bn.
Many of those investments are now worth less than the value of the loan as more traders exit the market in order to cover margin calls on their outstanding debts. Given the scale of leveraging that underpins both the Shanghai and Shenzhen indexes, few experts are predicting that the current stocks rout will end until more of this debt is washed out of the system.
and an interesting
“While it may be tempting to point at the protracted Greek bailout talks as a possible reason for the decline, the truth is China is more or less orbiting in its own universe. A more plausible reason driving the bears is the unwinding of margin trading or deleveraging.”

Investors are also unsure about the underlying strength of China’s economy. Since the country emerged from its isolation in 2001 to join the World Trade Organisation, China investors have grown rich off the back of an economic miracle in the Asian powerhouse. Even during the depths of the global financial crisis, China appeared to be impervious to the downturn that hollowed out Europe and North America. Low-cost manufacturing, coupled with rapid urbanisation and massive state investment into building new infrastructure, meant that double-digit economic growth in China was taken for granted.

However, over the past two years it has become clear that these rapid rates of economic growth have become entirely unsustainable. China is now planning for growth of around 7.5pc this year and most experts interpret this to mean the real rate of expansion in the economy will be closer to 4pc, or even lower. The trouble is that the stock market and investors have failed to take this slowdown in economic growth seriously. In this context, the sell-off in Chinese stocks could be interpreted in the market simply playing catch-up with economic fundamentals.
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

Expired frozen meat mainly comes from US

Pakistanis has spread their conspiracy bug to Chinese.
According to a Xinhua News Agency report on June 3, China‘s General Administration of Customs said it had confiscated more than 100,000 tons of frozen meat with an estimated value of more than 3 billion yuan (US$490 million) in a nationwide anti-smuggling campaign, including some dating from the 1970s. The meat was bound for restaurants in second- and third-tier cities in China.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Please see "The Brink" Tv serial for Paki conspiracies.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Good video. Summarises problems for China and problems created by China (for other nations) which make their own problems worse.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

China is feeling the heat of शं नो वरुणः
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 899583.cms
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Any avid China watcher should watch, listen, parse, reflect on the opinions and thoughts of Shri Kevin Rudd- the ex PM of Australia.

Listen to this one, its just fantastic.

svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Uncle has shorted Chinese stock market from inside
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

I was suspecting that, has lost $3.5 trillion so far. More like used something as sinister as HAARP may be ? Back in the late 80's Japanese economy was growing like gangbusters and was going to presumably "overtake" US?! Most Americans had already started learning Japanese in preparation. Then Uncle used HAARP, since then Japanese economy has been in a 25 year long funk. Would the the Chinese go same way? Good news for India though!
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

svinayak wrote:Uncle has shorted Chinese stock market from inside
How?? :-?
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

But first why?
member_28638
BRFite

Post by member_28638 »

Can India compete with this?

===============================

Hefei looks to become China's robot hub

2015-07-20

A total of 175 robot teams from 47 different countries and regions are set to compete in the 19th RoboCup World Championships as the five-day event opens in Hefei on Sunday.

The ongoing event is the second one ever hosted in China, following the 12th in 2008 in Suzhou city of Jiangsu province.

"Tremendous changes have happened to the research and development of robots around the world", said Chen Xiaoping, president of RoboCup Chinese National Committee.

As a professor of the University of Science and Technology of China, based in Hefei, Chen also heads a robot R&D team of the university. The team WrightEagle is a traditional global powerhouse in robot R&D.

Chen said Hefei is better prepared this time compared with the previous event hosted in China.

"Many countries are now exerting efforts in the research and development of intelligent service and assistance robots, which is also expected to play an important role in upgrading China's manufacturing sector", Chen said, who also chaired the Chinese committee in 2008.

Zhang Qingjun, mayor of Hefei, said the city got the opportunity to host the event not through luck but rather because of its thorough preparation and strong position in the robot industry.

In Hefei, there are over 30 companies engaged in the R&D and manufacturing of robots or robot software design.

Hefei has a thriving scientific community, as the University of Science and Technology, one of China's top universities, and Hefei Institutes of Physical Science of the Chinese Academy of Sciences are both based in the city.

As an important manufacturing hub in China, Hefei is also home to a wide variety of robots, especially industrial robots.

The city has been the country's largest manufacturing hub for refrigerators, air conditioners, washing machines and TV sets. In 2014, the city produced more than 60 million such products, or one-fifth of the whole country's total production.

The city is also known as an auto manufacturing base, and is home to Anhui Jianghuai Automobile Co, Ltd, known as JAC, being one of the largest Chinese automakers.

Hefei is also a manufacturing base for excavators, since Hitachi Construction Machinery Co, Ltd has been running a large assembly line here for 20 years.

Besides, Hefei BOE Optoelectronics, a subsidiary of BOE, is the country's largest semiconductor display manufacturing center.

"To upgrade the city's manufacturing sector, a lot of industrial robots have already been used in the local manufacturers, while the major predicts that we are only at the beginning of robot development and application," said Zhang.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2015 ... 337326.htm
Multatuli
BRFite

Post by Multatuli »

Beijing's push on South China Sea rattles Pacific nations

China’s aggressive project to build small islands in the South China Sea has seized the attention of the White House and US policymakers. But China's creation of small military installations, including a 10,000- ft. landing strip, on various tiny atolls in the Western Spratly Islands and elsewhere is hitting Pacific nations at a more visceral level, bringing anxiety over security.

To be sure, the Philippines, Taiwan, Malaysia, Vietnam and Brunei, along with Indonesia, have long had their own competing territorial disputes in the South China Sea.

But those suddenly seem less worrying as China pushes a claim over hundreds of mostly uninhabited small islands, reefs, and rocks in the 1.4-million square mile South China Sea.

Now, feeling pushed around and pushed together, these nations are exploring diplomacy with the US, new defense options, and even international legal recourse to stop China from extending its sphere of influence just off their shores.

Today, officials in Manila announced a 25 percent increase in military spending over 13 years aimed, they say, at bolstering naval defenses and countering China's claims.

China is causing a “big and imminent threat to security” in Southeast Asia, says Chito Santa Romana, of the Philippine Association for Chinese Studies in Manila. “The rise of China’s economic power has given rise to its military power."

China's land reclamation efforts have taken place in an area that, according to Manila, constitutes nearly 80 percent of its exclusive economic zone, a 200-mile radius that extends from national territory under the UN Law of the Sea.

Read further: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pac ... ic-nations
member_28638
BRFite

Post by member_28638 »

Six British nationals arrested in Inner Mongolia deported, remainder still detained
By Zhang Hui Source:Global Times Published: 2015-7-16

Detention of foreigners watching terror videos ‘warranted’

The British Embassy in Beijing confirmed with the Global Times Wednesday afternoon that six Britons who were detained in northern China have been deported.

The six were among 20 foreigners that were detained at Ordos Airport in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region on July 10 on suspicion of terror links, as some of them watched promotion videos of a banned terror group in their hotel rooms, African NGO Gift of the Givers (GOTG) wrote on its Facebook page on Tuesday.

The British Embassy said nine are British nationals and two are dual British-South African nationals in the group.

"Six have been deported, and the remainder [British nationals] are still detained. Consular staff have visited the group to provide assistance and we are liaising with Chinese authorities," a spokesperson of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) of the embassy, told the Global Times.

Eight South Africans and one Indian were also among the group which was on a 47-day tour to "explore the ancient China" before being arrested without charges, the GOTG said. The NGO claimed that the individuals arrested have no terror links and no criminal record in their country.

Chinese experts said that the detention and deportation were warranted.

Li Wei, an expert on counter-terrorism with the Chinese Institutes of Contemporary International Relations, told the Global Times that those who watched the terror video violated China's law on countering terrorism. "Their detention was warranted," Li said, adding that the deportation was based on the international practice.

The UN Security Council has passed resolutions demanding countries to punish those who watch, promote and spread terror videos, Li said.

It was the first case which involved foreigners watching terror materials in China, and authorities have to investigate how they obtained those videos, he said.

"If they brought the videos to China from abroad, then they are guilty of illegally carrying terror materials," Li said.

The South African Embassy in Beijing declined to comment on Wednesday, and Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs has not responded to interview requests.

In a notice issued in 2014, the Xinjiang government banned sending, copying, reposting, uploading, playing and storing of terror-related videos, which contained violence, terrorism, extremism and separatism, and those violating the rules faced detention and criminal liabilities.
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

svinayak wrote:But first why?
Ok.

Why?

How?

:mrgreen:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

china stock market crashed 8.5% today
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

CCTVNEWS ‏@cctvnews 14m14 minutes ago

Pics: Streets in Beijing inundated by water after heavy rainfall on Monday evening
ImageImageImage
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

shanghai composite index chart for last 10 yrs.
to get back to June-2014 level, it would still have to lose 50% more
the peak of today in shape was not based on any economic fundamental, the graph makes it clear.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=0000 ... nteractive
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Any chance these internal troubles will have an impact on the USD 46 billion backsheesh and the miltary equipment purchases our friends in the west have been banking on.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

We should not rely on China's internal troubles but be prepared to disrupt their plans in our neighborhood.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Read how China is grabbing hold of the Indo-China Sea atolls in the INtl. naval; td. No let up in its quest for total dominance of the region.

X-posted in the Eco Forum.
China losing control as stocks crash despite emergency measures
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/chin ... sures.html
Margin debt on the Chinese stock market has reached $1.2 trillion. 'We suspect that it’s a matter of time before banks may have to face the music,' Bank of America says

Stress test for the BRICS nations:
Brazil, Russia, South Africa and a string of commodity states face a double-barrelled stress test. The Chinese are freezing imports just as the US Federal Reserve drains worldwide dollar liquidity and prepares to raise rates, calling time on emerging markets that have together borrowed $4.5 trillion in US currency.

The Brazilian real fell to a 12-year low of 3.38 against the dollar on Monday. The South Africa rand hit a record low of 12.69. The Russian rouble flirted with the danger line of 60. It was the same story across much of the emerging market nexus.

“One by one the dominoes are starting to fall,” said Societe Generale
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

E-visa facility for Chinese tourists from tomorrow - The Hindu
The electronic tourist visa facility for Chinese nationals announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in May will be rolled out from July 30 onwards.

Along with the citizens of China, the e-tourist visa facility will also be offered to the nationals of Hong Kong and Macao from Thursday, an official said.

Brushing aside concerns raised by intelligence agencies, Mr. Modi, during his visit to China announced that the e-tourist visa facility would be offered to Chinese nationals.

Mr. Modi had made the announcement notwithstanding frequent issuance of stapled visas by China to people from Arunachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir.

India had last year launched e-tourist visa facility (which was earlier called ‘tourist visa on arrival enabled by electronic travel authorisation’) for more than 40 countries, including the U.S. The scheme was later extended to 36 more countries with effect from May.

Under the e-visa scheme, an applicant receives an email authorising him or her to travel to India after it is approved and he or she can travel with a print-out of this authorisation. On arrival, the visitor has to present the authorisation to the immigration authorities who would then stamp the entry into the country.

The number of foreign tourists availing themselves of the e-tourist visa facility has increased by over 700 per cent in May as compared to the same period last year.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://idrw.org/this-is-what-could-star ... more-70137
If china can't be contained here, then I agree
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/07 ... .html?_r=0

another top PLA general charged with corruption
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

paul krugman says what all are saying - cheen leaders dont have much of a clue what to do, and are rapidly losing face on the stock thing

http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/chinas-n ... rs-1202351
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Hindustan Times ‏@htTweets 19m19 minutes ago

In pictures | How the Chinese are riding escalators after tragic accident http://read.ht/thY
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

jokes aside... our own arm-chair rakshaks ridiculed going big!
now comes chinese reality
http://idrw.org/confirmed-china-buildin ... more-70283

Warning issued: Contribute, instead of pithy one-liners against others who argued earnestly and in detail, unlike you.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

another powerful chinese businessman defects to amrika. beijing demands he be extradited
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/world ... -news&_r=0#

since pretty much all rich chinese have parked funds and their children offshore, amrika must have a good handle on who is corrupt and who is not corrupt in the 'opaque' cheen power pyramid and all the right buttons to press if the need arises. for example leaking that the brother of a top CCP official is deeply in bad stuff might end the career of the CCP official by association.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

China Watch Thread-I

Post by Peregrine »

China asks US to help fight Muslim militants in Xinjiang region
BEIJING: China has appealed for United States support in fighting Islamist militants in the far western Chinese region of Xinjiang, saying they are also a threat to the US.
This is a cue for India that similarly Cwapistan is also perpetrating Terrorism in India

This is indeed a turn-up for the book!
Cheers Image
wig
BRF Oldie

Post by wig »

Divine Eagle: How much of a threat is China's new high-flying drone to US air superiority
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 41385.html
In May, grainy pictures emerged of a huge new twin-fuselage, high-altitude Chinese drone called the Divine Eagle. Those in the know instantly labelled it the "stealth-hunting drone". Stealth technology is the equivalent of electronic camouflage for planes, making them hard for enemy radar to spot – but the Chinese drone is certainly big enough to carry the special radars developed to detect stealth aircraft. It's able to fly high enough to detect them long before they can reach their targets. Its radar is rumoured to have been able to pick out an American stealth F-22 Raptor off the coast of South Korea almost 500km away.

To some analysts, the Chinese drone represents the death of stealth – for others, merely a serious threat to the future of the technology on which America has based its air superiority.

Stealth, or "low observable technology", is a combination of aircraft design, tactics and electronic countermeasures designed to make planes less visible to radar and other systems, which the US has pioneered. As well as trying to create the lowest possible radar signature by getting rid of the tail, it also tries to reduce things such as infrared emissions from the engine exhaust and electromagnetic emissions from the computers on board. Stealth tactics involve looking for gaps in air-defence systems.

When people think of stealth aircraft, they tend to picture the triangular black F-117 stealth fighter and B-2 bombers that penetrated Saddam Hussein's much-vaunted air defences at the start of both Gulf wars – or perhaps the troubled Lockheed F-35 Lightning stealth fighter programme on which the UK has gambled the future of its aircraft carriers. However, the Horten Ho 229 flying wing developed by the Nazis during the Second World War was probably the first. While the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird spy plane used some basic stealth technology, the great leap forward in stealth really occurred in the 1970s with the Lockheed Have Blue project to develop a stealth fighter. This programme led directly to the F-117 and B-2.
However, success has a downside: your rivals begin to take stealth seriously and start the race to make the invisible visible. For some time the answer was a technology that the West had discarded but the Soviets had continued to develop – and which was responsible for the headline downing of a supposedly invisible F-117 in 1999 during the Kosovan conflict by the supposedly obsolete Serbian air defences.

"In reality, stealth planes are never completely invisible, as they will always generate a radar signature in the end," Douglas Barrie, senior fellow for military aerospace at the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London, says. "What you are trying to do is hold this moment off for as long as possible. If you are seen five miles from your target, compared to be being spotted 100 miles away, then it will have done its job.

"If there was a window when stealth fighters and bombers were undetectable, then it was when the F-117 had completely free rein with Iraq's poor old air defence; however, rivals such as Russia and China have over the past 25 years started to develop countermeasures, including radar that can pick up stealth planes."

Bill Sweetman, the editor-in-chief of Defense Technology International, part of the Aviation Week Network, argues that these kind of countermeasures are now "proliferating". Whereas most radars operate between 2GHz and 40GHz, a low-band equivalent such as VHF radar operates between 1MHz and 2MHz and is able to pick out most stealth planes that are known to be flying today. That's because the scientists realised that – while it can pick up "noise" such as clouds and rain, which was a reason why the West abandoned it – it does have basic physics on its side: its wavelength is the same magnitude as the prominent features on many stealth planes, so that its signal bounces back. The US military was warned about this then-theoretical vulnerability back in the 1980s.

"The Russians persevered with low-band radar due to their technological conservativism," Dr Igor Sutyagin, senior research fellow at the Royal United Services Institute, says. "And in the end they had great success."

"The most visible piece of counter-stealth in the past couple of years has been the public display – by both Russia and China – of VHF-Aesa radars," Sweetman says. Put simply, Aesa radars like those supposedly on the Divine Eagle drone are made up of a large number of solid state, chip-like modules that each emit an individual radio wave; these meet in front of the antenna to form a beam that can be easily aimed at a very specific target – and, combined with VHF, are an effective stealth-hunting tool.
Big VHF radars were always known to be effective against anything other than a B-2 [which has no tail], but they had very large antennae that made them very cumbersome, with low scan rates," Sweetman says. "On the other hand, if an Aesa gets a hint of a detection, it can use electronic scanning to focus a lot of energy on the target."

The final trick is "to combine together different radars into an integrated air-defence system and a central information-processing centre that can make life very difficult for any stealth fighter or bomber", Sutyagin says. And stealth planes are not always stealthy from every angle (it costs too much money). So if you have radar in front, at the sides and above – with a high-altitude drone such as the Divine Eagle – along with satellite tracking of any target, then it might well be a case of RIP stealth.

However, it might not be game over yet. Not everyone has these capabilities and centralised air defences are also vulnerable to hacking, or even special forces. While one response might be to reduce the profile of the plane – using electronic warfare systems and stand-off weapons to increase survivability instead of stealth – there is, according to Sweetman, another option: develop weapon systems like that of the Dassault nEURon drone, which can be programmed to visually seek out large radar arrays.

Not yet, though, Sweetman says. "You can take stealth to the next level," he says, meaning a large, flat, tailless subsonic flying wing and active stealth technology. "In theory, by transmitting a signal just half a wavelength off the wavelength of the radar, your plane can disappear."

The US might have already reached the next level, even though the decision on its new stealth Long Range Strike Bomber is still some way away. In the end, says Barrie, "The US isn't standing still and we are continuing to spend significant amounts on classified programmes." Whether that is enough to keep stealth alive, only time – and war – will tell.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

China's announcement that it has stopped work on the atolls,is bogus.It just means that land reclamation work has stopped.It is now in the process of building up the infrastructure,and locating anti-air arty,etc. and making the atolls secure and habitable for Chinese soldiers and naval personnel who will have to support the "comings and goings" of PLAN ships and and aircraft and to defend them from attacks of the US and its mil allies. China has de facto checkmated the other smaller littoral nations in the Indo-China Sea.They too have to get aggressive and secure atolls that the Chinese haven't yet usurped.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... -excellent
Actually Maybe Not So Excellent

Everything under heaven is in chaos; the situation is excellent.
― Mao Zedong (1893 – 1976)

A quick email on China’s currency devaluation last night. The news itself is big enough, but it’s the Narrative that’s developing around the devaluation that has my risk antennae quivering like crazy. What do I mean? I mean that initial media efforts to portray the devaluation as a one-time “adjustment” that’s in-line with prior policy have been overrun by stories of “shock” and disjuncture. This is true even within Rupert Murdoch’s various media microphones, which tend strongly to toe the Beijing party line. Moreover, the devaluation is not being described in Western media as Chinese “stimulus”, which it surely is and would send markets higher if portrayed in this light, but as Chinese “currency competition” and as a sign that the growth problems in China are more severe than Western central bankers would like to believe. Or more precisely, would like to have YOU believe.