Indo-UK News and Discussion - April 2013

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Indo-UK News and Discussion - April 2013

Post by vishvak »

sooraj wrote:Last Week Tonight With John Oliver - Narendra Modi in UK (kOHINOOR)

[youtube>>]/watch?v=JP8XgeNnD1Q[<</youtube]

So the Brits are not going to give up the diamonds.
The British are not going to give up anything. It is a European trait to not give up anything looted lest others find out who were barbarians looting from civilized.
Why the British commemorate Tipu
No one did more to commemorate Tipu Sultan than his inveterate enemies, and eventual victors, the British.
This has been amply aided by the unrestrained plunder and loot of Srirangapatna in 1799 (amounting to £1.6 million then, distributed as prizes in steep grades to the British soldiers), which has led to large private collections of Tipu’s swords, jewellery, guns, carpets and clothes in Britain.
If my brief historical excursion tells us anything, it is that every act of memorialising is at one and the same time an act of politics. The desperate zeal with which a symbolic reorientation of national memory is currently being attempted is instructive enough.
Read it all. However, not much is written about Marathas who crushed Mughals and from whom the British actually won huge parts of India, which is not more interesting apparently.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Greedy businessman who was already earning a six-figure salary is jailed after he conned a charity out of £325,000 to buy a chain of Subway shops

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... shops.html

Micky Jay, Reigate, 1 day ago

"Are we allowed to say that he's no Anglo-Saxon, like so many similar miscreants. I note too, that he was paid rather a lot of money by one of those charities that were established to serve the poor and needy. Same old, same old!"

BUT strangely enough, the comments are disabled for this story!!!!!

Church of England vicar accused of sexually assaulting 15-year-old boy in India is urged to return there to face trial

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3sDvQp5MG
Madhusudhan
BRFite

Post by Madhusudhan »

:eek:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hears.html
Indian doctors 'should clean toilets and not practise medicine': Syrian surgeon, 52, 'told his colleagues they would be downfall of the NHS in series of racist rants'
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

In my experience Arab Doctor's are not even fit to clean toilets.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

sanjaykumar wrote:In my experience Arab Doctor's are not even fit to clean toilets.
You're right. They don't.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

^^leave it guys. No need to stoop to the level of these people.
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

last remark- yes, let's not stoop to that level, but the guy is not as bad as the article makes it look- JMTC!
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Terror in London -

http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/lon ... for-syria/
London Tube Attack: “This is for Syria” 0
BY PAUL ANTONOPOULOS ON DECEMBER 6, 2015 EUROPE

A persons throat has been slashed and several injured with a machete after the attacker screamed “this is for Syria” on a London tube station.

BBC reported that police are treating this as a terrorist attack.

Footage has emerged online of a police officer tasering the attacker. Pools of blood could be seen.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

^^Curious part is that the best bystanders could come up with in terms of abuse was "drop it you fool', and "idiot"...
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

JE Menon wrote:^^Curious part is that the best bystanders could come up with in terms of abuse was "drop it you fool', and "idiot"...
Be thankful, it wasn't "Tut tut my dear old chap, would care for a cup of tea??".
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

how about "Adios, mutherf***er"! Then, sound of gun fire emptying a 10 shot clip? then a scream of "Victory".
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

They took him alive, which will help to discover if he was acting alone, who was controlling him, influencing him, etc.

Also, police turned up in good time; they have been on alert ever since Paris.

More details here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35018789
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Wow..truly soft touch policing.

This man would get 30 bullets from the first amrikan or israeli police on scene.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

If he had had a firearm, the police would have shot him. Can't risk the public or their own life in that circumstance.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

i'm not sure that this is a pure terror incident... i think its a mentally disturbed person who has gotten out of control; perhaps the voice of the caliphate was in his ears, but i'm not sure that this was a the real driver

similarly in san bernardino, it could be a regular amreeki work place shooting except for the extra green tint
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

San Bernardino was jihad in action. It really was not work place violence.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Lalmohan wrote:i'm not sure that this is a pure terror incident... i think its a mentally disturbed person who has gotten out of control; perhaps the voice of the caliphate was in his ears, but i'm not sure that this was a the real driver

similarly in san bernardino, it could be a regular amreeki work place shooting except for the extra green tint
San Bernardino was definitely terror. They had 4000+ rounds of ammo, pipe bombs, etc. Why would the wife join in, that too when there is a 6-month old baby to care for. San Bernardino is truly frightening. It shows that the jihad instinct can be more powerful than the maternal instinct.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Nick Cohen:
http://nickcohen.net/2015/12/09/the-sil ... l-muslims/
"The silencing of liberal Muslims"
i.e., The alliance of the Left and the Islamists in the UK.
None of the above is astonishing. It’s been going on so long that we accept it as the “new normal”. What is astonishing and frightening was the look on Mughal’s face when I finished talking to him. He looked defeated. He thinks the extremists are winning and that Britain does not begin to understand the trouble that is coming.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Illegal unregistered schools face prosecution
Ofsted is to set up a taskforce of inspectors to seek out unregistered schools that are operating outside the law in England.

Chief Inspector of Schools Sir Michael Wilshaw says there is a serious and growing threat to the safety of children.

Inspectors have found three unregistered schools operating in Birmingham in recent weeks.

Ofsted says it found a narrow Islam-focused curriculum in the latest schools it investigated.

'Unhygienic'

In one, conditions were described as unhygienic and filthy, with staff who had not been screened for their suitability to work with children.

Inspectors also found books described as inappropriate, with texts including "misogynistic, homophobic and anti-Semitic material".

In the three Birmingham settings, 94 children were being educated.

Ofsted shut the schools because children were at risk, said Sir Michael Wilshaw

Writing formally to the education secretary today, Sir Michael says he believes the number of children in unregistered schools could be far higher.

He warns that Ofsted's work to promote British values is being undermined by the growth of these unregistered schools.

While most of the places visited by Ofsted so far have been in Muslim communities, inspectors may also turn their attention to similar unregistered tuition centres operated by other groups.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

https://twitter.com/CourtNewsUK/status/ ... 0227440640
@CourtNewsUK
Saudi millionaire cleared of raping teen after claiming he accidentally penetrated her when he slipped and fell
Brishits servicing their new massas. It took me 24 long years and two years of hard work before I could get near anything I could "penetrate" and this guy just falls into it.

Truly a miracle.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

Man guilty of IS-inspired knife plan
Man guilty of IS-inspired knife plan
14 December 2015

A man has been convicted of preparing to carry out a knife attack in London, inspired by so-called Islamic State.

Nadir Syed, 22, from Southall in west London, was arrested hours after buying a chef's knife in November 2014, days before Remembrance Sunday.

Woolwich Crown Court heard how he had been inspired by IS leaders urging attacks on Western targets, including police and soldiers.

The jury could not reach verdicts on two other men on trial.

Haseeb Hamayoon, 29, from Hayes, west London and Yousaf Syed, 20, from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, denied planning acts of terrorism. They will be retried.
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

LokeshC wrote:https://twitter.com/CourtNewsUK/status/ ... 0227440640
@CourtNewsUK
Saudi millionaire cleared of raping teen after claiming he accidentally penetrated her when he slipped and fell
Brishits servicing their new massas. It took me 24 long years and two years of hard work before I could get near anything I could "penetrate" and this guy just falls into it.

Truly a miracle.
So all the expensive edyucayshun system and court system couldn't come in the way of Saudi millionaire making arbitrary claims after raping teenager. Wonder how the Brits brought civilization to the world.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Did President Radhakrishnan actually comment once that if the Romans had civilised the British as the latter civilised the African, the British would still be swinging in the trees?
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

The British academic and political establishment certainly conferred a great many honours on President Radhakrishan, both before and after independence, including instituting a scholarship for Indian students at Oxford University that bears his name.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarvepa ... hakrishnan
1931: appointed a Knight Bachelor in 1931,[web 5] although he ceased to use the title "Sir" after India attained independence.[53]

1938: elected Fellow of the British Academy.

1954: The Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award in India.[web 3]

1954: German "Order pour le Merite for Arts and Science"[web 11]

1961: the Peace Prize of the German Book Trade.

1962: Institution of Teacher's Day in India, yearly celebrated at 5 September, Radhakrishnan's birthday, in honour of Radhakrishnan's believe that "teachers should be the best minds in the country".[web 3]

1963: the British Order of Merit.

1968: Sahitya Akademi fellowship,The highest honour conferred by the Sahitya Akademi on a writer(he is the first person to get this award)

1975: the Templeton Prize in 1975, a few months before his death, for advocating non-aggression and conveying "a universal reality of God that embraced love and wisdom for all people."[web 12][note 10] He donated the entire amount of the Templeton Prize to Oxford University.

1989: institution of the Radhakrishnan Scholarships by Oxford University in the memory of Radhakrishnan. The scholarships were later renamed the "Radhakrishnan Chevening Scholarships".[54]
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Jaggaji,

See who the author is. A Modi hater.
prahaar
BRF Oldie

Post by prahaar »

UK increasingly behaves like a state of India (not unlike Pakistan), where it has to comment/discuss anything and everything the GOI decides to do or not to do.
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

Mohanji, You can view and wonder all you want, especially if that "wondering" pays your rent and feeds you family. You or your massas are not the decision makers for India, while your massas certainly have the wet dreams for doing so. So wonder all you want, and keep wondering while we march ahead. There is only so much you can do, which is nothing and that says a lot about where things stand and where you stand in the middle of things, which is nowhere.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

BBC: 'Silent bomber' couple found guilty of London terror attack plan

The parents are naturally "shocked" and blame the internet for their son's 'radicalisation' (I assume out of fear of deportation):

BBC: Parents of 'Silent Bomber' Mohammed Rehman 'shocked

More here:

Telegraph: Middle class daughter of magistrate who turned to suicide bomb plotter
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Let my pirate hunter come home: Fiancee's plea after former Paratrooper who was helping protect ships from Somali raiders is held in India for more than two years

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3wBM745ou

AND my favourite comment of them all is:
"Redcarman, Redcar, United Kingdom,

Years ago we'd have sent a gunboat up the Ganges to teach these jumped up, ungrateful wretches a lesson .. Now all we do is give them aid and apologies for some supposed wrongs that happened in the past ... Whatever happened to this country and it's proud heritage? .. Get them back, NOW ..!!!"
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

British sailors given India jail time for weapons charges on anti-piracy mission

http://flip.it/OAgLo
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

If there's one "superpower" that has been made truly irrelevant when it comes to much of the subcontinent, it's UK. They seem to be losing leverage faster than Badmash losing his transplanted hair.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

UKs status as a tax haven and fugitive den for ill gotten gains from all over the world under HMGs robust protection is clear from a TOI chart today.

it has the highest number of millionaires in europe, followed closely by germany...with peer economies like france far far behind.

germany has 2x the GDP of UK.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 554722.cms

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/photo/50554724.cms
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Singha wrote:British sailors given India jail time for weapons charges on anti-piracy mission

I think it would be a good idea for India to have such merchant vessels with armed guards register their weapons inventory with India while they are in nearby waters. Avoids future trials and also asserts Indian control.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

on the italian marines front:
- one is held inside the italian embassy in delhi
- the other went to italy for brain stroke treatment for 4+6 months. but italian govt has ruled out his return.
- supreme court has suspended proceedings in case in accordance with a ruling by the international law of the seas tribunal whom italy had approached for arbitration.

so looks like the govt cannot do anything more if SC is deferring to the sea tribunal
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

a few suitcases of cash will flow and they will get a salmon-bhai style verdict change
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Ex-British Troops Get Jail Terms In India

The best comment is:
defiance

"escape goats simple"

http://news.sky.com/story/1621297/ex-br ... s-in-india
rgosain
BRFite

Post by rgosain »

ramana wrote:
Singha wrote:British sailors given India jail time for weapons charges on anti-piracy mission

I think it would be a good idea for India to have such merchant vessels with armed guards register their weapons inventory with India while they are in nearby waters. Avoids future trials and also asserts Indian control.
Spot on Ramana. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this is being discussed as part of a settlement. In addition, it would be reasonable for the GOI to insist on a register of merceneries transiting the EEZ of India. This will have the effect of weeding-out a lot of the cowboy operations.

It is a sad irony that India has to look at these maritime transgressions through the lens of 26/11 but as David Miliband intimated, India has only itself to blame for any terrorism it experiences. Had this tragedy in Mumbai not occured, the crew of this vessel would probably be free.