Indo-UK News and Discussion - April 2013

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Re: Indo-UK News and Discussion - April 2013

Post by Philip »

Dodgy Duke?!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05 ... british-t/
Duke 'brokered £385m for corrupt regime while working as British trade envoy'
Prince Andrew is reported to have been in line for a £3.83million commission if the Kazakhstan deal went through Credit: Getty
By Lexi Finnigan
20 May 2016
Prince Andrew was allegedly in line for £4million in commission from a business deal in corrupt Kazakhstan, leaked emails reveal.

The Queen’s son was working as a special trade envoy when he helped kick start the £385 million venture on behalf of Swiss and Greek clients.

Emails, seen by the Daily Mail, show that in April 2011, the Prince used his relationship with Kazakh oligarch Kenges Rakishev to help a Greek utility firm and a Swiss finance house bid for infrastructure contracts.

Aras Capital, from Zurich, and EYDAP, Greece’s largest water firm wanted to build water and sewage networks in two of Kazakhstan’s largest cities.

For his role, Prince Andrew was reportedly to be offered a commission fee of one per cent – or around £3.83million, a source at the water firm has revealed to the Daily Mail.

“Prince Andrew’s continuing close relationship with questionably figures in Kazakhstan brings the royal family into disrepute”
Former Liberal Democrat MP Norman Baker

The deal in fact fell apart in late 2011 when Kazakh police opened fire on a group of striking oil workers, killing 14, and EYDAP pulled out for fear of being caught up in political turmoil.

Last night, anti-monarchy campaigners called for an inquiry and former Liberal Democrat MP Norman Baker told the Daily Mail: “Prince Andrew’s continuing close relationship with questionably figures in Kazakhstan brings the royal family into disrepute.

“There are also serious questions about a conflict of interest in his former role as trade envoy which on the face of it seems to be more about enriching himself than helping the UK.”

A Buckingham palace spokesman said the claims were untrue.

Prince Andrew has previously been accused of cashing in on connections with oil-rich trading partners and of developing questionable friendships with figures such as convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Shankas wrote:Just a thought...
Why don't some Indian organization create a certification and call it "Real Indian" or "Authentic Indian" or a word play on Intel Inside and call it "Indian Inside". Then have restaurant owners voluntarily submit/prove/qualify their Indian credentials. They can issue a sticker with a QR code that will validate it.

Indeed. I am sure a "Authentic Indian" symbol/sticker with the Tiranga and Union Jack in it will do the trick. The real Indian restaurants need to break away from the cheap Pakis and Beedees. back this up with an online and TV campaign to increase awareness.

Another interesting thing which I noticed last week. Channel 4 was covering the Brexit issue with a focus on South Asians and blacks and were at a meeting of "Indian" restaurant owners. Although headed by an Indian, it appears Beedees and Pakis are part of this too. Dont know what the real Indian restuarants have to gain from this. The Pakis and Beedees will only ruin their image. And they, with their slave labor from BD and Pak, will undercut Indian restaurants big time.
Lisa
BRFite

Post by Lisa »

Shankas wrote:Just a thought...
Why don't some Indian organization create a certification and call it "Real Indian" or "Authentic Indian" or a word play on Intel Inside and call it "Indian Inside". Then have restaurant owners voluntarily submit/prove/qualify their Indian credentials. They can issue a sticker with a QR code that will validate it.
Its a good idea in a perfect world where Indians are happy to be branded together but in a world where many do not want to be seen as as 'rocking the boat' very difficult to sell. They are further concerned that they may alienate their peaceful clientele. Go to Southall and Harrow to do your shopping and you will find all different brands of Basmati rice. Go to Slough (a peaceful area) and see how easy it is to find Tilda Basmati rice, because it is an Indian brand peacefuls will not stock or sell in difference to their support for their stock. I will not shop in Slough or buy any peaceful brand but many Indians will.

Another example, ie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/asiannetwork/desid ... l#comments

Regretfully, the program cannot be found by me but is essence it was a complaint by Indians as not wanting to be classed as Asians as they were being hemmed in by being held to account for the activities of the paecefuls. Most Indians interviewed wanted to be referred to as British Indians or similar but not one peaceful wanted to be called a puki. They were quite happy to take cover under the Asian umbrella for obvious reasons. Read some of the comments and note that this was in 2008 and the BBC still does not care today.

A strange world where Germans committed a Genocide in Europe but not Europeans but Asian men molested children in Rochdale and not pukis! BBC is still reporting these matters as that.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

Lisa wrote:
yayavar wrote:When I was in London for a stint my Angrez colleagues always went to Indian restaurants for lunch. The only time we actually went elsewhere was when I requested we try something local ...Big mistake. Retracted my request for the rest of the stay.
Yayavarji, Please read,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-36248467

Easingwold peanut death: Indian Garden owner 'put lives at risk', court hears

How Indian do you think this restaurant actually is, yet its name ....... and now by default an Indian restaurant has killed a customer.
Lisa: Got your point.

I was referring in general to the preference of 'Indian' food. The 'English' restaurant we went to had bogus food and so post that I relented and we went to 'Indian' only. It has been a while and I dont recall any indications of the actual origins of the restaurant owner(s). It could be they were non-Indian.

So a case could be made for certification but even then how would one tie to being OCI or PIO? I doubt one can.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

basically goras cannot differentiate between different types of browns and peacefuls/non-peacefuls... its all same to same onlee
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Britain’s great curry crisis

Britain’s great curry crisis

Andrew Whitehead

It has even featured in the campaign for referendum about whether the U.K. should stay in the EU

Chicken tikka masala was once famously described as Britain’s national dish — but the country now seems to be falling out of love with its curry houses.

I once had a chicken korma — nothing special, but perfectly adequate — in a curry house called Indian Garden in the tiny north England market town of Easingwold. It’s since closed down — a common fate these days. On average, five Indian restaurants and takeaways are closing every week. But this particular curry house had fallen out of favour by causing the death of one of its customers.

Erosion of service

Mohammed Zaman, who owned this and five other Indian restaurants, has this week been sentenced to six years in jail for manslaughter by gross negligence. His restaurant served a curry containing peanuts to a man who had made clear he had a peanut allergy — the sort of allergy that affects approximately 1 per cent of the U.K. population. The tikka masala he took home triggered a severe anaphylactic shock.

Another of Mr. Zaman’s customers had been taken to hospital just three weeks earlier, again because she had been served a curry containing nuts even though she was allergic. The prosecution at the trial said that to save money, the restaurant had switched almond powder for a cheaper mix containing peanuts.

It’s terrible publicity for a curry industry already on the ropes. Most Indian restaurants and takeaways in the U.K. pride themselves on providing food which is good quality and excellent value. But this tragic death and the resulting court case will reinforce the impression that some curry houses cut corners on ingredients.

Even without Indian Garden, the residents of Easingwold still have two other curry houses to choose from — that’s one more than the number of traditional fish and chip shops in the town. The Indian takeaway is almost as familiar a part of the British street scene as the pub. But for curry houses, as with pubs, business is none too good.

More than 80 per cent of Indian restaurants and takeaways are Bangladeshi-owned and run — serving not Bengali-style food but an Anglicised version of North Indian cuisine which few in North India would recognise (or wish to eat). The food was seen as fun, cheap, and “going for a curry” became a national pastime. In 2001, in what was probably the high noon of Indian cuisine in the U.K., the Foreign Secretary, Robin Cook, declared chicken tikka masala the national dish.

Not any longer, I suspect. There are still perhaps 10,000 curry houses across Britain, but the industry is shrinking. Some forecasts suggest that fully one in three of these businesses is struggling to survive. Young members of the Bangladeshi community are often not keen on the long hours and low wages prevalent at the cheaper end of the catering industry. And it’s no longer so easy to bring chefs over from Bangladesh because of the tight restrictions on would-be immigrants without formal qualifications.

Brexit referendum

The “great curry crisis” has even featured in the campaign for next month’s referendum about whether the U.K. should stay in the European Union. Employment Minister and advocate of “Brexit”, Priti Patel — whose parents came to England from Uganda — has argued that “our curry houses have become victims of the EU’s uncontrolled immigration rules”. She says that while experienced Bangladeshi chefs find it difficult to get a visa, cooks from European Union member countries in Eastern Europe can come and work without restriction.

But Indian food, especially the more downmarket fare, seems to be falling out of favour. Youngsters increasingly go for a pizza or barbecue-style chicken rather than a curry. In the more fashionable city districts, Vietnamese street food is the “in” thing.

Plenty of Indian restaurants are still thriving, and dosa outlets and Bombay street food joints are doing well. That may point the way. The best prospect for the Indian food industry is perhaps to go upmarket, and offer dishes which have something — for British customers at least — fresh and new about them. But the old-style tikka masala has lost a lot of its spice.

Andrew Whitehead is a former BBC Delhi correspondent
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

^^ No crisis for India or Indians as far as I can see. The ones facing the music are most likely to be Bangladeshis
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

The dosa and bombay food outlets are run by Indians and not beedes or pakis. The curry houses are just beedee run diarrhea in a bowl type outlets. No wonder people stay away from them.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Kashi wrote:^^ No crisis for India or Indians as far as I can see. The ones facing the music are most likely to be Bangladeshis

What bangladeshis, saar??

Imprinted in the british aam jantha mind is:

Curry = Indian.

The usual illiterate and average JOHN BULL has it in for Indians because of the colonial legacy and current cultural jealousy.
KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

As an aside, if elections were ongoing in the U.K., I wouldn’t comment [on Brexit.] But no elections are ongoing and there is a discussion there about whether it should or not stay in Europe. I have said publicly that for us, the U.K. is the gateway to Europe and, in the situation that the world is in, a united Europe would be favorable.
from Read an Edited Transcript of The Wall Street Journal’s Interview With Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016 ... tay-out-o/
Margaret Thatcher was 'completely and utterly right' to stay out of Europe, says former Greek finance minister
Yanis Varoufakis
By Sarah Knapton, Science Editor
30 May 2016 • 8:12pm

Margaret Thatcher was ‘completely and utterly’ right to keep Britain out of Eurozone, the former Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis has said.

The economics professor, who was thrust into the spotlight when he became Greece's finance minister a year ago, said the EU is disintegrating and warned that Britain would be facing 50 per cent unemployment had it joined the Euro.

Speaking at the Hay Literary Festival, left-wing firebrand Varoufakis said he admired Thatcher despite protesting against her government when he lived in England in the 1970s and 1980s.

“I agree with her about a lot of things,” he said. “I always enjoyed listening to her. The way she wiped the floor with the opposition was astonishing.”

“That last speech…for Prime Minister’s Questions, she gave an amazing performance… and someone from the other side decided to challenge her on the opposition to the European Central Bank policy and she came out all guns blazing and made the most pertinent comment about European Central Bank and the Eurozone.

“It was very nuanced and sophisticated. She said that whoever controls interest rates in Europe control the politics of Europe and that money cannot be de-politicised .

“And the idea that we can be outside the realm of politics, a democratic business managing Europe money is the first step towards very unsavoury burdens and she was completely and utterly right.

“She was probably completely correct it is because of that you don’t have 50 per cent unemployment which you would have had if you had been in Europe.

“Even though I spent my youth joining every demonstration against Mrs Thatcher’s government, and there were many, I always had a great appreciation of her.”

Margaret Thatcher warned that a central currency would always become political

Mr Varoufakis, who resigned as Greece’s finance minister after a controversial six months in the role. said that Greece's would also have fared better had the country stayed out of the Eurozone.

He has recently launched a new political movement aimed at "democratising" Europe called DiEM25 - Democracy in Europe Movement.

But he cautioned Britain about leaving the European Union saying it could speed up collapse of the Euro project and lead to a continent-wide depression

“The fact you have a dysfunctional family doesn’t mean you should smash it you should get therapy,” he said.

“Britain can’t leave the EU. You can vote to leave the EU but you won’t leave the EU. What will happen is you will still be ruled by the EU regarding standards and most of your legislation is going to be determined by Brussels and simply not being there, you don’t have a say or an appeal.

“So you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

“The European Union is disintegrating under the weight to fits hubris. The problem is, that if it collapses and if disintegration is sped up by Brexit we are doing to have a new great depression in Europe that will consume Britain whether you vote to stay in or out and I want you to stay because Britain is a significant ally for the rest of in Europe to try and get our house in order.”

Speaking about his time living in Britain, he said: “It made me who I am. You know what England is like. You appreciate it enormously and you have to bitch about it every day.”
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

Overheard at someone's workplace (this story is second hand ;-) ): slightly off topic... but UK in US and all...

African American: higher up management chain
Indian American: peer to African American
British American: A mid-level person in the org

British American: Would it be better for you (Indian American) to talk to him (African American) and drill some sense into him?
Indian American: Why because I am his peer? It is not like I'm close to him.
British American: Oh! No, more like you are a minority like him.
Indian American: Who are you calling a minority? There is more of us than there are of you!

Those of us who heard the story over drinks - There are indeed more Indian Americans than British Americans! :rotfl:
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 54851.html
Britain is the most corrupt country in the world, according to journalist Roberto Saviano, who spent more than a decade exposing the criminal dealings of the Italian Mafia.

Mr Saviano, who wrote the best-selling exposés Gomorrah and ZeroZeroZero, made the comments at the Hay Literary Festival. The 36-year-old has been living under police protection since publishing revelations about members of the Camorra, a powerful Neapolitan branch of the mafia, in 2006.

He told an audience at Hay-on-Wye: “If I asked you what is the most corrupt place on Earth you might tell me well it’s Afghanistan, maybe Greece, Nigeria, the South of Italy and I will tell you it’s the UK.

“It’s not the bureaucracy, it’s not the police, it’s not the politics but what is corrupt is the financial capital. 90 per cent of the owners of capital in London have their headquarters offshore.

“Jersey and the Cayman’s are the access gates to criminal capital in Europe and the UK is the country that allows it. That is why it is important why it is so crucial for me to be here today and to talk to you because I want to tell you , this is about you, this is about your life, this is about your government.”
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Shankas, The story posted by chetak confirms the need for brand identification of Indian restaurants and going upscale.

Pulikeshi, There are more British Americans than Indian Americans if you go by immigration numbers since 1946.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Lalmohan wrote:basically goras cannot differentiate between different types of browns and peacefuls/non-peacefuls... its all same to same onlee
BS of the highest order.The Briturds know inside out about the Indian sub-continent.Its deliberate psy-ops.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

no sir, the mango gora has absolutely no clue - its an amorphous mass of browns - including greeks, maltese, etc.
you give them too much credit, but the fact is they have neither the intellect nor the desire to understand
the higher ups and elites are different, but 90%+ mango's cannot distinguish
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

In America, the British don't call themselves immigrants, they call themselves expats.

Also there are Irish-Americans, Scottish-Americans in America, so I don't think there are British-Americans there, unless it is another word for English-Americans, which would make it wrong nomenclature.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

RajeshA wrote:In America, the British don't call themselves immigrants, they call themselves expats.
Entirely for taking the opportunity to push a good piece of music :wink:, going by the lyrics of the song “Englishman in New York” by the musician Sting, they call themselves “Legal Alien”.

You Tube Video:

Englishman In New York
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

RajeshA wrote:In America, the British don't call themselves immigrants, they call themselves expats.

Also there are Irish-Americans, Scottish-Americans in America, so I don't think there are British-Americans there, unless it is another word for English-Americans, which would make it wrong nomenclature.
Same in Australia and Spain.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

The people who do the psy-ops in pee pee cee,al guardian,e-con-omist do it deliberately.I agree that mango abduls have no clue.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Philip wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016 ... tay-out-o/
Margaret Thatcher was 'completely and utterly right' to stay out of Europe, says former Greek finance minister
Yanis Varoufakis
By Sarah Knapton, Science Editor
Excuse me for a moment for :rotfl:

So basically, the situation in EU is sufficiently daft today, for the British right wing conservative party's mouthpiece newspaper to use the Greek radical left wing party's argument as the basis of their own 8)
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

True to their nature, they call themselves English. BTW, on the whole they are generally reviled today. Hollywood villains now have British accents.

Looking down on natives, an enduring English pastime is past its sell by.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Hollywood villains now have British accents.

Its half and half. And when they want to show dimwits or the perversely evil, they use the southern drawl-which is plainly 'racist' towards Southerners.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Cosmo_R wrote:

True to their nature, they call themselves English. BTW, on the whole they are generally reviled today. Hollywood villains now have British accents.

Looking down on natives, an enduring English pastime is past its sell by.
OT,

It is not really a sell-by!

In fact, hollywood has been importing British actors by the tons. Almost all of Game of Thrones actors are British. The new Star Wars actors like Daisy Ridley and John Boyega are from UK. Then you had MCU using actors like Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston. All of Harry Potter actors were British. Then there have also been many actors coming from Australia and New Zealand to Hollywood.

So loads of British actors have made it big in Hollywood in the last years.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

^^Cheaper by the dozen. At least to begin with until mid- to upper-mid level stardom. Then it evens out. Ditto Australians.

And they pick up the accent in no time and can revert to type easily. Americans trying other anglo accents are a touch more difficult. Not everyone can be a Leonardo in Blood Diamond, where he scored the South African accent. More like Tom Cruise in Far & Away.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

canadians fit seamlessly into the woodwork too - william shatner, jim carrey, evangeline lilly...
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

pamela anderson, michael j fox...
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

I was to speaking to one of the white folks and he had shock on his face when I told Islam is closer to Christanity than anything Indian!
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

svenkat wrote:
Lalmohan wrote:basically goras cannot differentiate between different types of browns and peacefuls/non-peacefuls... its all same to same onlee
BS of the highest order.The Briturds know inside out about the Indian sub-continent.Its deliberate psy-ops.
no they have no clue and do not understand who is who.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Did man create God? (The Big Questions, 29/5/16)

RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

EU Referendum: Massive swing to Brexit – with just 12 days to go: Independent UK
The campaign to take Britain out of the EU has opened up a remarkable 10-point lead over the Remain camp, according to an exclusive poll for The Independent.

The survey of 2,000 people by ORB found that 55 per cent believe the UK should leave the EU (up four points since our last poll in April), while 45 per cent want it to remain (down four points). These figures are weighted to take account of people’s likelihood to vote. It is by far the biggest lead the Leave camp has enjoyed since ORB began polling the EU issue for The Independent a year ago, when it was Remain who enjoyed a 10-point lead. Now the tables have turned.

Even when the findings are not weighted for turnout, Leave is on 53 per cent (up three points since April) and Remain on 47 per cent (down three). The online poll, taken on Wednesday and Thursday, suggests the Out camp has achieved momentum at the critical time ahead of the 23 June referendum.
1. BREXIT

2. SCOXIT

3. UNSCxit!
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

BREXIT in 2 line. Camroooon started this hoping to squeeze out EU for more concession. Old Europe told him to F**k off. Meanwhile Brits with inflated ego and pampered by BBC about glorious past took it for real. Now Camrooooon in real problem. Scots with fishy names (salmond etc) are waiting for their chance.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

BBC:

Viewpoint: How British let one million Indians die in famine
Viewpoint: How British let one million Indians die in famine

By Dinyar Patel
Historian

It has been a difficult summer for India.

Drought and a searing heat wave have affected an astonishing 330 million people across the country.

But this summer also marks the 150th anniversary of a far more terrible and catastrophic climatic event: the Orissa famine of 1866.

Hardly anyone today knows about this famine. It elicits little mention in even the densest tomes on Indian history.

There will be few, if any, solemn commemorations. Yet the Orissa famine killed over a million people in eastern India.

In modern-day Orissa state, the worst hit region, one out of every three people perished, a mortality rate far more staggering than that caused by the Irish Potato Famine.

The Orissa famine also became an important turning point in India's political development, stimulating nationalist discussions on Indian poverty. Faint echoes of these debates still resonate today amid drought-relief efforts.

'No relief was the best relief'

Famine, while no stranger to the subcontinent, increased in frequency and deadliness with the advent of British colonial rule.

The East India Company helped kill off India's once-robust textile industries, pushing more and more people into agriculture. This, in turn, made the Indian economy much more dependent on the whims of seasonal monsoons.

One hundred and fifty years ago, as is the case with today's drought, a weak monsoon appeared as the first ill omen.

"It can, we fear, no longer be concealed that we are on the eve of a period of general scarcity," announced the Englishman, a Calcutta newspaper, in late 1865.

The Indian and British press carried reports of rising prices, dwindling grain reserves, and the desperation of peasants no longer able to afford rice.

All of this did little to stir the colonial administration into action. In the mid-19th Century, it was common economic wisdom that government intervention in famines was unnecessary and even harmful. The market would restore a proper balance. Any excess deaths, according to Malthusian principles, were nature's way of responding to overpopulation.

This logic had been used with devastating effect two decades beforehand in Ireland, where the government in Britain had, for the most part, decided that no relief was the best relief.

On a flying visit to Orissa in February 1866, Cecil Beadon, the colonial governor of Bengal (which then included Orissa), staked out a similar position. "Such visitations of providence as these no government can do much either to prevent or alleviate," he pronounced.

'Too late, too rotten'

Regulating the skyrocketing grain prices would risk tampering with the natural laws of economics. "If I were to attempt to do this," the governor said, "I should consider myself no better than a dacoit or thief." With that, Mr Beadon deserted his emaciated subjects in Orissa and returned to Kolkata (Calcutta) and busied himself with quashing privately funded relief efforts.

In May 1866, it was no longer easy to ignore the mounting catastrophe in Orissa. British administrators in Cuttack found their troops and police officers starving. The remaining inhabitants of Puri were carving out trenches in which to pile the dead. "For miles round you heard their yell for food," commented one observer.

As more chilling accounts trickled into Calcutta and London, Mr Beadon made a belated attempt to import rice into Orissa. It was, with cruel irony, hindered by an overabundant monsoon and flooding. Relief was too little, too late, too rotten. Orissans paid with their lives for bureaucratic foot-dragging.

For years, a rising generation of western-educated Indians had alleged that British rule was grossly impoverishing India. The Orissa famine served as eye-popping proof of this thesis. It prompted one early nationalist, Dadabhai Naoroji, to begin his lifelong investigations into Indian poverty.

As the famine abated in early 1867, Mr Naoroji sketched out the earliest version of his "drain theory"—the idea that Britain was enriching itself by literally sucking the lifeblood out of India.

"Security of life and property we have better in these times, no doubt," he conceded. "But the destruction of a million and a half lives in one famine is a strange illustration of the worth of the life and property thus secured."

Indifferent response

His point was simple. India had enough food supplies to feed the starving - why had the government instead let them die? While Orissans perished in droves in 1866, Mr Naoroji noted that India had actually exported over 200m pounds of rice to Britain. He discovered a similar pattern of mass exportation during other famine years. "Good God," Mr Naoroji declared, "when will this end?"

It did not end anytime soon. Famines recurred in 1869 and 1874. Between 1876 and 1878, during the Madras famine, anywhere from four to five million people perished after the viceroy, Lord Lytton, adopted a hands-off approach similar to that employed in Ireland and Orissa.

By 1901, Romesh Chunder Dutt, another leading nationalist, enumerated 10 mass famines since the 1860s, setting the total death toll at a whopping 15 million. Indians were now so poor - and the government so indifferent in its response - that, he stated, "every year of drought was a year of famine.

A wealthier, less agriculturally dependent India is now able to ensure that this does not happen. Significant problems remain: the Indian Supreme Court recently upbraided some state governments for their "ostrich-like attitude" towards the current drought.

For such reasons, it is all the more important to remember the Orissa Famine today. This humanitarian disaster, and the others that followed, galvanized Indians into fighting against British colonial rule.

Framing and implementing a robust national drought policy, as the Supreme Court has ordered, will be a fitting way to commemorate the million Indians who perished 150 years ago.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

The referendum was an election pledge to placate the far right in the Tory party. The current turmoil is the party civil war to unseat Cameron and for boris to take over the party and run for pm
Cameron didn't want it but he had no choice
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

English football fans started their build up with due diligence in Marseilles for Euro 2016. But Russian fans had a counter agenda. Viva la France. March of Civilisation in the uber neighbourhoods of Europe but the English are still the dominant (bleeding) power.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36506917

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... ro-2016-g/
Telegraph Reporters
11 JUNE 2016 • 6:21PM
England fan in critical condition after suffering cardiac arrest
England kick off against Russia at 8pm
Russian Ultras threatened violence
Russian hooligans: racist, violent and in France for Euro 2016
Isis, where are you?' England fans chant
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Published on Jun 14, 2016
By Dan Bilefsky
Sadiq Khan, New London Mayor, Bans Ads Promoting Unhealthy Body Image: New York Times
LONDON — The young, thin model wore a bright yellow bikini and stared seductively at passers-by.

“Are you beach body ready?” asked the ad for Protein World, a maker of dietary supplements. The ad was defaced in subway stations across London when it appeared in April 2015, and it drew strong protests.

On Monday, London’s new mayor, Sadiq Khan, announced a ban on such ads — which critics call “fat-shaming” — from London’s public transportation system starting in July, saying the messages encourage unhealthy body images for young women.

“As the father of two teenage girls, I am extremely concerned about this kind of advertising, which can demean people, particularly women, and make them ashamed of their bodies,” Mr. Khan said. “Nobody should feel pressurized, while they travel on the Tube or bus, into unrealistic expectations surrounding their bodies.”

The move is the latest effort by the authorities in Europe and elsewhere to address concerns about unrealistic or unhealthy body images in advertising, and the effect that impossibly thin models can have on the self-esteem and health of consumers.
So the buzzword is "fat-shaming". In the name of protecting women from unhealthy "fat-shaming" all beautiful women would be put behind a burqa! I must say the Moderate Islamists like Sadiq Khan are pretty innovative.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

British MP dies in attack, referendum campaigns called off
Just when one thinks that such tropes are much too beaten to death in movies etc - Briturd establishment resurrects them in real life to prevent Briturdia's Brexit.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Lilo wrote:
British MP dies in attack, referendum campaigns called off
Just when one thinks that such tropes are much too beaten to death in movies etc - Briturd establishment resurrects them in real life to prevent Briturdia's Brexit.
Is this Nathuram Godse II - Elite preparing some crazy fella on the right to go overboard, kill a promising figure on the left, creating sympathy for the victim and ensure that power stays in its own hands.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

or it could just be the trump effect...
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

X-post

https://mobile.twitter.com/crimesofbrit ... 0958758912

During Great Famine of 1876-88 in India the only relief was hard labour where less food was given than in Buchenwald