Indian Military Aviation- September 29 2013

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Military Aviation- September 29 2013

Post by Indranil »

The joke is actually on those guys who think that the armed HTT-40 is being pitched to fight the PAF/PLAAF. :roll:. ALso, Ekalavya sir, please answer these:

1. Is there a thumb rule that all weapons training have to be on jets? Did you know that USAF is considering moving some of it to the BTTs to cut costs? The Turks already did it.
2. Is this the first time turboprops are being proposed for an anti-tank role?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

indranilroy wrote: 1. Is there a thumb rule that all weapons training has to be on jets? Did you know that USAF is considering it to cut costs?
Indranil the irony is that the argument currently used against such aircraft is because the USAF does not use it, which is why it becomes necessary to point out that the USAF is considering using such planes to convince those who believe that all wars are fought the way the US plans and fights is wars and one's own local environment and local experiences do not count. Simply saying that it can be used or that there is a role given our circumstances is not convincing, because the standard in our view is always and invariably set by the US and Europe. The worrying part is when the IAF too is unable to see the realities of sanctions and economy and takes the attitude of the illiterate sipahi who says "hathiyar de do aur hum ladenge" . Power is about how and where those hathiyars come from and some beginning has to be made at a time when war is not breathing down our necks. This is not to exonerate HAL. but I am increasingly uncertain about IAF attitudes. The IAF is clearly speaking with two voices where senior leaders pay lip service to Indian origin stuff while I have spoken to a whole lot of junior IAF types who are completely dismissive of anything Indian. This does not bode well.

The IAF has been allowed to tide over crises by instant, reactive high tech imports. The MiG 21 was an "instant import". so was the Su-7, and the MiG 23 and MiG 27. Also the Pilatus. On the other hand the Hawk and Jaguar took an astonishingly long time for import and have not been free from issues related to import/support. Early Hawk crashes were due to quality control issues in British imported stuff. The Jaguar too was imported with a barely usable nav-attack system, no refuelling probe, underpowered for hot and high conditions, virtually defenceless against air threats requiring the special innovation of installing overwing pylons which had to be tested in retrospect and defects that came up later that were actually solved by HAL when the Brits simply washed their hands off.

I have been hesitant to say this but I see within the IAF the attitude of wealthy sons of property developers discussing cars. One lad says I like Hummers, the other says its Lamborghini for me. Both sneer at Maruti and Tata. I do admit that pilots risk their lives in protecting the nation but its not about pilots alone - its about technicians and engineers and others down the chain who must all be included in the chain of pride and self esteem.

I am nobody to take sides, but I must say that for us, being neither HAL nor IAF taking one side or the other may be mistake. there are faults on both sides that need correction. I was shocked at a statement made by Prof Prodyut Das in the latest Vayu in an article about the future of the LCA. he said that it may already have set world records as the safest testing program ever but we need to get out of this mindset. Crashes will happen and that there is "nothing like a young Flying Officer to discover design bugs that were not discovered during testing".

There may be dynamics at work here that are difficult to parse. We the public curse the MiG 21 and call it widow maker despite the fact that the IAF loves it. The IAF gets a bad name. We want the IAF to have no crashes. Why then do we curse the IAF for discarding the HPT 32? After all the IAF is merely responding to public pressure to save lives of pilots. MiG 21s crash - so give then am a/c that does not crash. HPT 32s crash - so give them something different. We don't want the LCA to crash - so the testing program is geared towards safety rather than speed. Who is "wrong" here?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

As an aside let me point out that we the public have a huge role in creating attitudes and we have a responsibility (at least as an "informed bunch") on BRF to be balanced in our view.

We hear of Sukhoi engine failures. Why do we not call it a widow maker? Because it is twin engined

The IAF in my view has no option other than the Rafale + Sukhoi in the next 30 years. The LCA will be a sideshow for IAF. It will never get an Indian engine.

Ironically HAL may be on the right track in developing a small 25 kN engine for "5 ton class trainers and UAVs". The are smaller and arguably cheaper to develop than the 80 kN plus "bite more than you can chew" Kaveri. They can even be tested on a UAV. Russian "make cheap, use and discard" attitude may work for us. Use 2 x 25 kN engines and you can have a 10-12 ton class aircraft, Twin engined being more reliable in India's smoggy bird filled airspace.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

DAC asks the IAF to procure the HHT-40 in adequate numbers to make the program viable
Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) has prevailed over the Indian Air Force (IAF) in a long-running battle over the basic trainer aircraft on which IAF rookies will learn to fly.

Backing HAL and “Make in India”, the ministry of defence (MoD) ruled on Saturday that the IAF would have to buy the Hindustan Turbo Trainer – 40 (HTT-40), which HAL is developing in Bengaluru.

After a meeting of the MoD’s apex Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), which arrived at this decision, a senior MoD official, briefing the media, said: “The DAC has ordered the IAF to order the HTT-40 in adequate number, to make this project commercially viable.”
Read it all ...

Also capped is the IAF plan for 106 more of Pilatus trainers.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Very interesting. Wonder why such a ruling has not yet happened in favor of Tejas+MKI vs Rafale.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Cain Marko wrote:Very interesting. Wonder why such a ruling has not yet happened in favor of Tejas+MKI vs Rafale.
Here is my guess. It is simply a question of whether the envisaged roles can be fulfilled or not. I think that the yet to fly HTT 40 is doable but Tejas will still be unable to fulfil the roles envisaged for Rafale + Sukhoi in the timeline required even though it will certainly go into production.
member_22539
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22539 »

shiv wrote:Here is my guess. It is simply a question of whether the envisaged roles can be fulfilled or not. I think that the yet to fly HTT 40 is doable but Tejas will still be unable to fulfil the roles envisaged for Rafale + Sukhoi in the timeline required even though it will certainly go into production.

What roles can Rafale perform that a combination of Su-30MKI and Tejas cannot perform? Please do not enter into the life-cycle/running costs argument area if you can.
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

Two quick points;

1. Having an Armed Trainer conduct sorties in an CAS/AT role is a very dangerous proposition. The PakArmy deploys the cream of its AD Bde's to protect its prized Armoured/Mechanised Divisions from low-level threats. For a country a fourth the size of ours, they deploy ~50 Med/Lt/SP AD Regiments which results in a substantially higher AD density with upto 12 AD Bde's. They also draft Mujahid AD Batteries comprising ex-servicemen similar to TA. While these may not present a credible threat for the likes of a Sukhoi/LCA/Mirage 2000, these could pose a problem with slower platforms. Lastly, IIRC they also deploy an RBS-70/Anza section with their Mechanised Infantry and Infantry Battalions unlike the IA. Rohit could elaborate more on this.

Link dated but relevant: Pakistan’s Air Defence

2. IMVVHO, using the trainers above for ISR roles is a retro step. UAV's cannot be replaced, they haul multiple payloads besides having the advantage in endurance. Cost-wise also they are comparable to each other (Heron have cost us ~50crores/Airframe) without having the headache to train Pilots/Co-pilots and can undertake more dangerous jobs at a fraction of the cost.

We should not confuse COIN style low-profile roles which Trainers could fulfill with those in case of a more complicated Air-Land Battle with the PLA/PA.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

How an aging "bomb truck" is being kept alive for another 20 years to fulfill the role of GA/close support.The IAF do not need fancy toys like Rafales to do the job,which thus far has been looked after by our hundreds of MIG-21s/27s and legacy aircraft.

http://boeing.rollcall.com/topic-a/spon ... edom-2035/
A-10 Thunderbolt II Gets New Wings, Ensures the Sound of Freedom into 2035
The A-10 Thunderbolt II plays a key role in protecting our troops and it’s about to get a makeover.

The U.S. Air Force’s A-10 Warthog, a twin-engine jet designed for close air support of ground forces, is receiving new wings that will improve mission availability and help save the Air Force an estimated $1.3 billion in maintenance costs over the next 30 years.

In recent months, Boeing was awarded three follow-on orders for a total of 56 replacement wings and is on contract to build up to 242 wings at its plant in Macon, Ga.

The A-10 is known for its excellent maneuverability at low air speeds and altitude, and its ability to deliver weapons with great accuracy. A-10s can loiter near battle areas for extended periods of time and operate under 1,000-foot ceilings and 1.5-mile visibility. With its significant range and short takeoff and landing capability, it is uniquely suited to serve in and out of locations near the front lines.

This makeover will allow the A-10 to continue to protect our troops and to operate into 2035.
PS:The IN's warships and subs are all designed by the Naval design teams totally under its control,which is why it has had phenomenal success. Unless the design and development of combat aircraft,etc. is brought under IAF control the same stalemate and cat fight will continue.Will the babus ever allow HAL,ADA,ADE,etc. to come under IAF control? Dream on!
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

vaibhav.n wrote:Two quick points;

1. Having an Armed Trainer conduct sorties in an CAS/AT role is a very dangerous proposition. The PakArmy deploys the cream of its AD Bde's to protect its prized Armoured/Mechanised Divisions from low-level threats. For a country a fourth the size of ours, they deploy ~50 Med/Lt/SP AD Regiments which results in a substantially higher AD density with upto 12 AD Bde's. They also draft Mujahid AD Batteries comprising ex-servicemen similar to TA. While these may not present a credible threat for the likes of a Sukhoi/LCA/Mirage 2000, these could pose a problem with slower platforms. Lastly, IIRC they also deploy an RBS-70/Anza section with their Mechanised Infantry and Infantry Battalions unlike the IA. Rohit could elaborate more on this.

Link dated but relevant: Pakistan’s Air Defence

2. IMVVHO, using the trainers above for ISR roles is a retro step. UAV's cannot be replaced, they haul multiple payloads besides having the advantage in endurance. Cost-wise also they are comparable to each other (Heron have cost us ~50crores/Airframe) without having the headache to train Pilots/Co-pilots and can undertake more dangerous jobs at a fraction of the cost.

We should not confuse COIN style low-profile roles which Trainers could fulfill with those in case of a more complicated Air-Land Battle with the PLA/PA.
First of all, thank you for making a quality refutation. It is a pleasure when one finds one, a rarity these days.

1. Absolutely true that AT (especially the first few waves) will always be dangerous. But the HTT-40 will be more survivable than the attack helicopters from the same threats that you speak of. Will it not? Flies higher, faster, and more agile.

2. An UAV based on the HTT-40 is in the line too. HAL is doing it all on intenal funds. First the HTT-40 will be readied with 300 crores. If it is, then 150 crores will be sought bring out the armed version in one year. If that succeeds, then 100-150 crores will be sought to turn it into an UAV.

What the DAC has done is removed excuses for both the IAF/HAL. For HAL, it has just bought time till 2017, which HAL asked for to get HTT-40 ready. A committee will continuously monitor and report back to DAC on the developments. On the other hand, if HTT-40 is ready by 2017, IAF shall have no excuse to import the PC-7s, any further. I like the decision.

I am worried about HAL's step-motherly treatment in the maintenance of the PC-7s and IAF's step-motherly treatment in the assessment of the HTT-40.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

indranilroy wrote:<SNIP>First of all, thank you for making a quality refutation. It is a pleasure when one finds one, a rarity these days.

1. Absolutely true that AT (especially the first few waves) will always be dangerous. But the HTT-40 will be more survivable than the attack helicopters from the same threats that you speak of. Will it not? Flies higher, faster, and more agile.

The above is an absolute misconception.

A helicopter gunship relies on its ability to fly really low and use natural features (where ever available) to sneak up to enemy armored column and attack the same with stand-off missiles. Stealth is the key to attack helicopter operation. And features like LOBL or LOAL in their ATGM assist further in this strategy.

Coming to aircraft, they rely on speed (if not always altitude) to provide them safety. A basic trainer aircraft armed with weapons for any CAS role falls between the stool. It neither has the stealth of a helicopter gunship nor speed of a fighter aircraft. There is a reason something like an A-10 or Su-25 were developed from ground-up for dedicated CAS in heavy AA clutter.
2. An UAV based on the HTT-40 is in the line too. HAL is doing it all on intenal funds. First the HTT-40 will be readied with 300 crores. If it is, then 150 crores will be sought bring out the armed version in one year. If that succeeds, then 100-150 crores will be sought to turn it into an UAV.
Well, let them then go ahead and develop an UAV. As current programs have shown, developing a UAV, especially with high endurance and range is not exactly an easy job which can be considered as spin-off from the main effort (that of developing HTT-40). It again becomes an open ended program - HAL takes its own sweet time to develop something and then jumps in demanding IAF induct an 'indigenous' solution.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

HTT-40 with MG/light bomb would be good to take on Jihadis or Naxals in inaccessible areas nothing more than that.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

RV,

Fair points regarding the the Attack helicopters vs attack trainers. And that is why they are not suggesting replacemnt of gunships with these attack trainers. But it cannot be completely ruled out. Could such attack trainers have carried out or helped in the aerial raids at Longewala. Probably yes. Besides the armed versions are not being touted for just the anti-tank role!

I agree that a armed UAV based on HTT-40 may take time. But it is ceretainly possible. It is being done elsewhere as well, with the Hammerhead for example. Tata has a lot of stakes in that project. Besides, if the NAL and Kadet systems can generate a UAV out of Hansa, all these projects can borrow from one another.

However, with respect to the trainer itself, saying that HAL jumped in only when IAF went in for induction (read imports) is plain wrong.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

I have always supported an indigenous platform over an imported platform. However, when looking at the tossup between the PC7 & the HTT 40.

I am not so sure.

As I am also in favour of reducing the number of types being used by the IAF, in the interests of logistical simplicity.

The IAF already has the PC7. Get more of them and freeze the program in favour of one airframe. If HAL wishes to carry on with the HTT 40. It should, continue to do so. As it would be a good capacity building project, for it. But the project should end with the successful completion of the flight test program.

I am not happy with the outcome I am seeking for the HTT 40 project. But I feel that this is how it should end.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

PC7 vs HTT-40

Reminds me of my engineering days when someone said that Tatas will not succeed in their new venture to go beyond trucks and buses to make their first cars/SUVs (Tata Safari, etc) as no one has ever designed an automobile engine in India. Or similar arguments that India didn't even make a needle at independence.

If we never try then we'll never succeed. We don't have unlimited wealth of natural resources or the insatiable greed to conquer or steal. If we don't use our only resource, the people, we will very quickly resemble our neighbours to the west. Forever bankrupt and a begging bowl in hand.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

usaf has had dozens of evolutionary dead end projects. we need to create work domestically and develop the talent base even if the end result is not exactly a iphone6.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Arun Menon wrote:
shiv wrote:Here is my guess. It is simply a question of whether the envisaged roles can be fulfilled or not. I think that the yet to fly HTT 40 is doable but Tejas will still be unable to fulfil the roles envisaged for Rafale + Sukhoi in the timeline required even though it will certainly go into production.

What roles can Rafale perform that a combination of Su-30MKI and Tejas cannot perform? Please do not enter into the life-cycle/running costs argument area if you can.
I think the Tejas will not be available in the numbers required in the timelines required unless the Rafale deal is delayed by another 3-4 years after which it can the scrapped at the expense of a precipitous decline in IAF force strength.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

BUT what will the CAG think!!!

Lots of folks have gone after DRDO citing CAG reports. Folks here, in CAG and in GOI need to understand that Research projects are by their very nature risky bets and not sure things. However, money and effort should be tracked and accounted even when we should go easy on failed projects.

Unless that kind of bean counting mentality changes we will just muddle along in the name of research.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

At the risk of digression, may I ask, what use are armoured personnel carriers to the army in an environment where the enemy has battle tanks and anti-tank weaponry. The answer is that APCs have a role because every millimetre of the war front will not have tanks and AT weapons at all times. The same holds true for slow, lightly armoured aircraft. In this day and age a small single engined aicraft with a recon pod can spot or illuminate targets and may be able to take out tanks and fortifications at standoff ranges. It's not as if they will be buzzing overhead like Stukas in WW2 movies.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

shiv wrote:I think the Tejas will not be available in the numbers required in the timelines required unless the Rafale deal is delayed by another 3-4 years after which it can the scrapped at the expense of a precipitous decline in IAF force strength.
The Rafale deal caters for one solitary squadron off-the-shelf with the remaining 108 to be delivered by HAL, the same entity that's already manufacturing the Tejas. Instead of investing in a new Rafale production line, invest in expanding the Tejas production and we'll be able to bolster the IAF's sagging squadron strength.

Also for the record, the Chinese are inducting 30 J-10s every year in addition to a regiment each of J-16s and JH-7. From a purely numbers perspective the Rafale deal is the iceberg to the IAF's Titanic.
member_23694
BRFite

Post by member_23694 »

honestly, big credit and complement to HAL to have made the topic of discussion for an IAF plane in 2015, in terms of a BTA.
A BTA will help HAL to develop design expertise(still trying with IJT), provide IAF with some aerial raid option (against whom and in which year). Where is the discourse going :-? This is way beyond comprehension.
Any request by IAF is termed as someone who is a pampered lot [even though they will be fighting on the front] while any and every suggestion coming out of HAL[with a pathetic past record] is something to be taken at face value in the name of indiginazation
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Tucano type turboprops are being evaluated by many air forces as a cost-effective way to deal with COIN and close support duties.Acquiring this type should be evaluated by the IA,under which this type should operate,not the IAF. In any case ,attacks are going to be mostly subsonic,so armed Hawks will have their own intrinsic value.Ground troops require almost immediate support and a variety of dedicated aircraft ,attack helos and UCAVs will be required.The UCAVs will have greater loiter time,but carry far smaller payloads. Attack helos under IA control along with CS aircraft will provide the rest. We need a feq sqds of heavy attack helos like the KA-52. The arming of utility helos,both light and medium like MI-17s,Dhruvs,adds to the capability. The more types that can deliver ordanance on the battlefield,helos,drones and aircraft,the better off the ground troops will be.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Viv S wrote:
shiv wrote:I think the Tejas will not be available in the numbers required in the timelines required unless the Rafale deal is delayed by another 3-4 years after which it can the scrapped at the expense of a precipitous decline in IAF force strength.
The Rafale deal caters for one solitary squadron off-the-shelf with the remaining 108 to be delivered by HAL, the same entity that's already manufacturing the Tejas. Instead of investing in a new Rafale production line, invest in expanding the Tejas production and we'll be able to bolster the IAF's sagging squadron strength.

Also for the record, the Chinese are inducting 30 J-10s every year in addition to a regiment each of J-16s and JH-7. From a purely numbers perspective the Rafale deal is the iceberg to the IAF's Titanic.
Itwould be interesting to know the fine details.

If crucial components for the Tejas are being sourced from abroad anyway - like aviation grade aluminium and resin for composites both the Tejas and Rafale programs are under risk of sanctions.

The way I see it is as follows but my viewpoint is a highly expensive option. There is no "money saving" or bean counting in my viewpoint. i believe we need to cough up money for the Rafale AND develop the Tejas and take as long as necessary to indigenize.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

In the age of network centric warfare, why we still judge a platform by its individual characteristics? If a platform can work as part of of bigger system, its capabilities can be exploited in much better way (even if its a turboprop). MQ-9 reapers are turboprop too.

We don't buy platforms for their capabilities, but we buy them to fulfill defense needs. If the need is CAS in insurgency hit areas then best platform might not be B-2 or Rafale or even AJTs.

There was a nice article posted by on BRF on Brazil's F-5 upgrade program and their purpose in the complete system.

A turboprop will be as vulnerable as an AC-130 gunship, demanding full air-superiority/cover and neutralization of air defenses before operation can commence. For SEAD or Air dominance IAF have other platforms.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I keep bringing this topic up and have even started threads hoping to jog some grey cells.

But when we talk of what might happen or what could happen in war, no one is wrong. Anything can happen. Using that perfectly logical assumption, one must prepare for anything.

So far so good.

But what does preparing for "anything" mean? It is necessary to define the size and shape of "anything" in order to prepare for a war in which anything can happen.

For example - look at a hot conflict with Pakistan. Imagine the border is (I don't know exactly) about 1000 km long.

Imagine a scenario in which India mounts a massive armour/air attack in two areas. Imagine a Pakistani counter thrust in some area to relieve pressure. In the meantime the IAF has about 500 targets to take out in Pakistan. The majority of these targets is heavily defended. How many aircraft would be needed to attack those 500 targets? How many would need repeat attacks within the day Imagine a first day attrition of 10%. In the meantime how many aircraft would be needed to give continuous air support to the armoured thrusts and air support for defence against the Pakistani thrust. If you do the math - we will need at least 3000 combat aircraft to do all this. We do not have the numbers - so we can never prepare for a war in which "anything" can happen. But let me set this aside.

If India does not have the numbers to do justice for a war in which "anything" can happen, what about Shitistan? They don't have the numbers either. What this means is that there will be several hours every day when there is no air cover over certain areas or no air support available as the air assets are busy. It is in this sort of desperate situation where one single armed turbo prop trainer or an An 32 with bombs becomes useful.

Of course I would like to see 200 Su 30s, 150 Rafales and 150 Tejas plus other air assets. I do not for one moment accept that Tejas and Rafale should be an either-or argument. In addition to army and navy air assets. Just my view. If we need a powerful air force we need both make in India AND import. It is so easy to forget that we were the second largest arms importer for decades when China was no1. How come the media did not notice anything then? And China is still a huge importer - we just happen to be no 1 now. None of these things can change soon. That is the way the cookie crumbles.
vardhank
BRFite

Post by vardhank »

^ +1
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

@Shiv

First off, discussing Pakistan as a potential adversary is mostly a waste of time unless its the context of a two-front conflict. Rafale or not we should be able to handle them comfortably when it comes to a conventional conflict. All the same, as a matter of interest it needs to be noted that they've done a fairly deft job of modernization given their limited resources through cheap Chinese imports and second hand western gear.

More important here is our equation vis a vis China. One where we may be facing the prospect of a second military defeat if (god forbid) tensions were to escalate. At the risk of annoying resident BRFites through further repetition, fact is, this is first and foremost an economic issue not a capability issue. China spends over three and a half times more on defence than we do ($140bn to $40bn). Only after we accept that as our primary challenge can we formulate a response and delve into the details. So 'bean-counting' for us is, or at least should be a military necessity.

How do you balance that massive disproportion in spending? You can increase spending but that'll mean a reduced investment in the economy, and reduced growth (including in defence budgets). You can improve efficiency, work around the margins but there's only so much you achieve in that respect. The only option available to India's defence planners is to make cost effectiveness the single overriding priority with regard to all capital purchases. Extract $2 in value from every $1 actually spent and we'll at least have made a start in bridging that chasm.

The Rafale deal too therefore must be viewed from the perspective of cost effectiveness. If we're buying it to create a 'powerful air force' then we've already lost focus. The simple question here is - is the combat capability delivered by 126 Rafale the best return one can get for $20bn (with a substantial part of that consisting of valuable forex) given our other options. I think most folks are coming round to the opinion that its not. And addendum to that question would be - will the Rafale perform any unique function that cannot be performed through other options. Its a good EW platform but answer again is mostly a 'no'.

The Tejas here is an opportunity by virtue of being one of the most cost effectiveness fighters in existence. And we still have the option of the MKI who's production has been domesticated to a large extent. By phrasing it as 'we need both Rafale and Tejas', we're ignoring the fundamental issue here i.e. our limited resources. My question would be - how many less Tejas and Su-30MKIs should be bought such that we can afford 126 Rafales? The answer is most likely too high for anyone to comfortable with.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

shiv wrote:It is so easy to forget that we were the second largest arms importer for decades when China was no1. How come the media did not notice anything then? And China is still a huge importer - we just happen to be no 1 now.
To the best of my knowledge China was the biggest importer for less than a decade (they were overtaken by India in 2011). And as a policy imports were only a stepping stone for the domestic industry. That objective has never been pursued with the same level of dedication in India.

Today their defence imports have almost dried up (<$2bn out of a $140bn outlay). Of that the bulk goes for support expenses (revenue heading) to Russia and propulsion for a variety of platforms (a segment where the Chinese are yet to achieve critical mass though they are well on their way).
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

shiv wrote:At the risk of digression, may I ask, what use are armoured personnel carriers to the army in an environment where the enemy has battle tanks and anti-tank weaponry. The answer is that APCs have a role because every millimetre of the war front will not have tanks and AT weapons at all times. The same holds true for slow, lightly armoured aircraft. In this day and age a small single engined aicraft with a recon pod can spot or illuminate targets and may be able to take out tanks and fortifications at standoff ranges. It's not as if they will be buzzing overhead like Stukas in WW2 movies.
Tanks & IFV's fight together as a part of the cog in a Combined Arms Team and overcome eachother's weakness. While tanks form the tip of a spear, by themselves are weak in holding ground and this is where infantry comes in. Mechanised Infantry allows Commanders to keep up with Armoured vehicles and controlling the pace of the battle. Tanks typically bypass local strongpoints which are dealt by the Mechanised Infantry. Tanks would keep the retreating enemy tanks under preasure until they fallback to secondary defensive lines while Mechanised Infantry would consolidate the gains made and the drama plays out all over again as they prepare for a fresh assault.
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

While specific platforms would have an advantage to undertake particular tasks. Armed Trainers which need to be equipped as such and suitable ones go for 12-14 $ million/Airframe at which point it would be better to go in for Tejas which can perform more roles. Helicopters in general and Attack Helicopters in particular perform roles which cannot be ignored or substituted. In addition to being armoured, they can operate regardless of the terrain as Flights from FARP's unlike fixed wing aircraft which have to recover back to Airfields.

From what little i have read, it feels like the IA envisions to use its Attack Helicopters in support of the main Armoured effort as airborne screens and/or to operate on the flanks as a harassing force in an ambush role to bog down the enemy and force a collapse which can possibly be exploited.

What we definitely are witnessing is the move away from a maneuver dominant war-fighting where the emphasis is on mobility to one based on overwhelming firepower. IA's Aviation Corps along with 155mm Arty/Pinaka's/Prahaar/Brahmos form the linchpins for that same philosophy. Future Conflicts with both PLA/PA would be short-sharp ones, constrained for time and space the IA would want to influence the tactical deep battle as much as possible before the nuclear bell sounds.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Viv S wrote:@Shiv

First off, discussing Pakistan as a potential adversary is mostly a waste of time unless its the context of a two-front conflict. Rafale or not we should be able to handle them comfortably when it comes to a conventional conflict. All the same, as a matter of interest it needs to be noted that they've done a fairly deft job of modernization given their limited resources through cheap Chinese imports and second hand western gear.

More important here is our equation vis a vis China. One where we may be facing the prospect of a second military defeat if (god forbid) tensions were to escalate. At the risk of annoying resident BRFites through further repetition, fact is, this is first and foremost an economic issue not a capability issue. China spends over three and a half times more on defence than we do ($140bn to $40bn). Only after we accept that as our primary challenge can we formulate a response and delve into the details. So 'bean-counting' for us is, or at least should be a military necessity.

How do you balance that massive disproportion in spending? You can increase spending but that'll mean a reduced investment in the economy, and reduced growth (including in defence budgets). You can improve efficiency, work around the margins but there's only so much you achieve in that respect. The only option available to India's defence planners is to make cost effectiveness the single overriding priority with regard to all capital purchases. Extract $2 in value from every $1 actually spent and we'll at least have made a start in bridging that chasm.

The Rafale deal too therefore must be viewed from the perspective of cost effectiveness. If we're buying it to create a 'powerful air force' then we've already lost focus. The simple question here is - is the combat capability delivered by 126 Rafale the best return one can get for $20bn (with a substantial part of that consisting of valuable forex) given our other options. I think most folks are coming round to the opinion that its not. And addendum to that question would be - will the Rafale perform any unique function that cannot be performed through other options. Its a good EW platform but answer again is mostly a 'no'.

The Tejas here is an opportunity by virtue of being one of the most cost effectiveness fighters in existence. And we still have the option of the MKI who's production has been domesticated to a large extent. By phrasing it as 'we need both Rafale and Tejas', we're ignoring the fundamental issue here i.e. our limited resources. My question would be - how many less Tejas and Su-30MKIs should be bought such that we can afford 126 Rafales? The answer is most likely too high for anyone to comfortable with.
Considering Pakistan as an adversary being a "waste of time" is, in my view and interesting deflection from the topic of being able to fight any war that comes our way which is where I started my post. So there is no connection between my post and your response. In fact we can say that fighting China is a waste of time because we will lose for so many reasons.

As regards economics - you have your views. Maybe you are privy to economic information about which I have none.

There is no meeting ground between your views and mine. I continue to hold my position and it is your prerogative to hold yours. Your position is as unconvincing to me as mine might be to you.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

But when we talk of what might happen or what could happen in war, no one is wrong. Anything can happen.
OR. And the counterpart game theory.

Most important, if one tells the services to take care, then do not tie a hand behind the back.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vaibhav.n wrote:
Tanks & IFV's fight together as a part of the cog in a Combined Arms Team and overcome eachother's weakness. While tanks form the tip of a spear, by themselves are weak in holding ground and this is where infantry comes in. Mechanised Infantry allows Commanders to keep up with Armoured vehicles and controlling the pace of the battle. Tanks typically bypass local strongpoints which are dealt by the Mechanised Infantry. Tanks would keep the retreating enemy tanks under preasure until they fallback to secondary defensive lines while Mechanised Infantry would consolidate the gains made and the drama plays out all over again as they prepare for a fresh assault.
Totally off topic here. This is "ideal tank warfare theory". It is always instructive to look at real life scenarios in which the ideal plan theory did not work because it is those situations that one must account for.

In terms of this thread there simply cannot be 24x7 air defence cover for every single army unit or military asset given the relatively anaemic air force levels in the subcontinent compared to a USSR vs NATO scenario. (or an "allies" versus Iraq scenario) That allows for the use of lightly armed aircraft in some situations. If we have to fight "ideal wars" we need ideal force levels. Make an IAF with 3 to 4,000 combat aircraft with a type for every role and then ask if armed HTT 40 are still needed. No point discussion ideal war theory with even 45 squadrons - let alone 25 squadrons that we actually have. How about a 200 squadron air force?
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Shiv, in the corrupt procurement environment, that will never happen. The only way to get a 100 squadron air force is to build the LCA in numbers. The procurement mafia will never let that happen. India will pay $30 billion for 125 aircraft or 6 squadrons. For hundred squadrons that means $2,000 billion of imported hardware.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the iraqi AF is making use of cessna airplanes rigged up with hellfires. in this case the potency of the weapon makes up for shortcoming in the shooter.

http://images.csmonitor.com/csmarchives ... rd_600x400
http://blog.patriotford.com/wp-content/ ... 4-shot.jpg

note the optical sensor ball. a mil trainer like the HTT40 would be lot more agile and smaller profile than this plane.

at night they will be very hard to spot, flying low over the terrain....like the british Lysanders of old that made trips to occupied france in WW2, landed in clearings to rescue downed flyers or carry people from the french resistance back and forth. there are ways to reduce noise at the expense of some power.

even if it is not warthog, what is the harm in buying up 100 of these cheap planes and equipping them for light attack. they cannot do any harm to the cause.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

The critical thing with these sort of missions/ mission-platforms is TOS..You want them to be at mid-altitudes with the ability to stay on station for targets to show up, be communicated or for ISR purposes. Thats the main driving force behind the scorpion's propulsion choice , materials and the wing design for example is the 5 hour endurance that they are targeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beKiPL0zT0o
Last edited by brar_w on 03 Mar 2015 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

The opposition have made a grand alliance to block land acquisition bill ( which actually can accelerate growth ) , why not such grand opposition against rafale , which will substantially drain our forex .

Rafale may be a state of the art 4++ gen aircraft available with fancy gizmos but Su-30 mki can get the job done with better payloads and range . Yes it might not have the refinement of rafale interms of engine but that can be mitigated with numbers as it cheaper than rafale and yes we are building it in our own country with almost 70 to 80% indigenous components .

If IAF could induct all the rafales within the period of 2008-2016 than it might had been justified but with LCA coming online , LCA mk2 which will have some of the capabilities of rafale , 5th gen FGFA , AMCA ,su-30 mki being built in house , and two potent fighters, mig-29 and mirage- 2000 upgraded , the push for rafale can not be justified unless ofcourse there is some govt to govt understanding from nuclear , engine tech to permanent seat in UNSC.

But there is no denying Rafale is sexy as hell !! IAF just can't get out of the infatuation , unless.... :D
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

Viv S wrote:
shiv wrote:It is so easy to forget that we were the second largest arms importer for decades when China was no1. How come the media did not notice anything then? And China is still a huge importer - we just happen to be no 1 now.
To the best of my knowledge China was the biggest importer for less than a decade (they were overtaken by India in 2011). And as a policy imports were only a stepping stone for the domestic industry. That objective has never been pursued with the same level of dedication in India.

Today their defence imports have almost dried up (<$2bn out of a $140bn outlay). Of that the bulk goes for support expenses (revenue heading) to Russia and propulsion for a variety of platforms (a segment where the Chinese are yet to achieve critical mass though they are well on their way).
Comparing China and India on high arms imports is completely misleading. As of today only about 15% of PLAAF fighters are imported platforms, as opposed to 100% for the IAF. The Chinese know better than to trust imports for their defence.
vasu raya
BRFite

Post by vasu raya »

In its UAV form, the HTT-40 can have couple of Astra slaved to some other ISR platform doing 24/7 CAP for base defense assuming eventually Astra can be used to target cruise missiles, these work alongside the Akash batteries

They should automate the re-arming and refueling of this aircraft as it autonomously lands and taxies to a pit stop, which maybe a TATRA tow truck (based on the concept of in-flight re-arming of fighters) and once armed then taxies back to a 'runway' for the next 6hr mission

And hopefully the Army thinks of using these with precision glide bombs of 40km standoff range to destroy enemy artillery be it in mountains than positioning gun for gun there

For the IAF itself there is no MALD (Miniature Air-Launched Decoy) yet, maybe they can make this into one, a ground launched one simulating various IAF aircraft types
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

Singha wrote:the iraqi AF is making use of cessna airplanes rigged up with hellfires. in this case the potency of the weapon makes up for shortcoming in the shooter.
LOL , the mighty Iraqi air force have been reduced to cessna !!!!!!!! Iran should return back those 25's .