Indian Space Programme Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
member_28108
BRFite

Re: Indian Space Programme Discussion

Post by member_28108 »

Some defective part was replaced hence delay this time.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

SaiK wrote:
SSSalvi wrote:What a buttering is going on in speeches
Just kills the joy of successful launch
who's?

i thaaught it was always we go from naarmalcy to nirmalcy!
Well one can shut the TV off :D
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

CUS 20 and Cryostage is being integrated and will be tested
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

GSLV Mk 2 launch next year
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Speeches contd...
. Comparing GSLV Mark-III to PSLV - each strapon and core equal to a PSLV
. In 1 year or so, fully developed cryo stage to be ready for Mark-III
. Currently integrating the stage for tests
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

IRNSS 1D ready. Launch vehicle to be inegrated. IE is being prepared for launch in March.
akashganga
BRFite

Post by akashganga »

Congratulations ISRO for yet another successful PSLV launch. Cheers.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Dec 4 GSAT 16
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Recievers are being ready and 20 will be placed around India. Oct 19th - sliding spring analysis.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

. IRNSS 1C satellite to be fully tested in 4 days and fully operational in 16-20 days
. 1D ready. just waiting for launch vehicle to be integrated - Dec launch targeted
. 1E to be ready in Dec to be launched by Feb-15
. 1G and 1H also progressing well.

. GSAT 6 will be launched when GSLV D6 is ready
. GSAT 16 to be launched on 4th Dec
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

Bhideo IRNSS 1C satellite launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc-DCCwrNjU

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

do we know the exact accuracy of positioning system with irnss compared to mil.gps?
Vashishtha
BRFite

Post by Vashishtha »

Now that atleast 3 sats are in place, can ISRO start testing the system and get an initial "feel" of desi GPS?
Varoon Shekhar
BRF Oldie

Post by Varoon Shekhar »

Congrats for another fine launch! Today marks 20 years since the first successful PSLV launch, which was on Oct 15th, 1994. I remember eagerly anticipating that mission, and calling a newspaper to find if it was placed successfully in orbit. You've come a long way, ISRO!
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

I forgot to even follow this launch. PSLV is too routine. Lets get GSLV MK2 & 3 to the same level.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

prasannasimha wrote:CUS 20 and Cryostage is being integrated and will be tested
Eagerly awaiting news of the successful test of that one with new gas generator cycle engine.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Vashishtha wrote:Now that atleast 3 sats are in place, can ISRO start testing the system and get an initial "feel" of desi GPS?
I don't think they will start untill the 4th as the Thyristor (or some other component - I forgot) has a finite operational life)
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

^^^
At least 3 visible satellites are required for triangulation for location study.

If 4 are there then 3 will be visible for some significant measurements.. hence they may be waiting.

Just a guess though.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

4 are required if you need the altitude of the receiver also, right?
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Vashishtha
BRFite

Post by Vashishtha »

4 are required if you need the altitude of the receiver also, right?
True,

1 sat will position you on a sphere.
2 sats will position you on an arc where the spheres intersect.
3rd sat will position you on 2 points within the previous arc, one of which is in space and the other is you.
4th sat will determine your altitude (1 of the 2 points).
bharats
BRFite

Post by bharats »

Very Little Scientific Gain from MOM: G Madhavan Nair
http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/ ... 480452.ece

KASARGOD: The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has been on a ‘planned holiday’ and ‘living on past glory’ for the past few years, said former chairman G Madhavan Nair.

India’s ‘Moon Man’ said, ISRO’s thrust had always been on societal applications. “We demonstrated telemedicine, tele-education and remote sensing 10 years ago.But the continuity of that is not seen,” he told Express. Nair was in Kasargod to attend the Swasraya Bharat, a seven-day national mega science festival. Though he softened his criticism of the Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) after it was successfully inserted into the orbit of the red planet, he insisted very little scientific gain could be achieved by it.

“For an observation mission, the orbit has to be circular or near circular,” he said. MOM is in an elliptical orbit. “The technology is known. We did it with Chandrayaan,” he said. With the instruments on board MOM, ISRO could get some data and pictures, “but beyond that we cannot do high-end research with the data,” he said. Speaking on NASA’s mission, he said MAVEN, with 12 instruments, could dip into Mars’s atmosphere and collect data, whereas MOM could analyse only the diffused particles that come out of the atmosphere.

MAVEN is helping probe how Mars lost so much of its atmosphere, turning it into the dry and lifeless planet. Nair said the MOM has set back Chandrayaan-2 mission by at least two years. “Chandrayaan-2 would have taken off by now if not for MOM,” he said.

The second Moon mission will see a lunar orbiter, a lander and a lunar rover, all developed by India.He said China was working on the ambitious mission to bring back sample from the Moon. Next week, it is launching the Chang’e 4 mission to validate the re-entry technology for Chang’e 5, the robotic mission to collect samples and return them to the Earth.

Madhavan Nair said ISRO had plans to make reusable space vehicles, but it did not take off. “If we had pursued, we could have taken a leadership position on that,” he said, but added that no country was closer to realising that.

:-?
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Imagine Indian GPS in Patiala........

Lang jao lang jao sardar ji............Hun Khabe hath nu jo Kartare da dhaba siga........Te onanu pata puch lo :rotfl:
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

So from next year on wards we can have our own GPS for Militarily operations, removes 1 more leverage for outside countries.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Does anyone have a comparison between the capabilities of IRNSS & GALILEO? Reason I ask is much was being hyped about the clocks in Galileo series of satellites and how accurate they were. In fact the ESA had sent up prototypes to validate the design. Given that we did not follow this approach, what sort of clocks are we using on the IRNSS series?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the cuckoo clock crowing every dawn was because Bartania who else supplied the small test satellites and perhaps the atomic clocks also.

the whole HMS Astoot >> USS Virginia thing
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

True... But it seems that Galileo is more accurate 1m vs 10m. That I guess would imply more accurate clocks?
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

My Navigation teacher once mentioned that Chinese Navigational sat are most TFTA. They have two way signal system unlike GPS type where ground receptor takes the signal and do the calculation. Any truth in that?
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

bharats wrote:Very Little Scientific Gain from MOM: G Madhavan Nair
http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/ ... 480452.ece

KASARGOD: The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has been on a ‘planned holiday’ and ‘living on past glory’ for the past few years, said former chairman G Madhavan Nair.

India’s ‘Moon Man’ said, ISRO’s thrust had always been on societal applications. “We demonstrated telemedicine, tele-education and remote sensing 10 years ago.But the continuity of that is not seen,” he told Express. Nair was in Kasargod to attend the Swasraya Bharat, a seven-day national mega science festival. Though he softened his criticism of the Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) after it was successfully inserted into the orbit of the red planet, he insisted very little scientific gain could be achieved by it.

“For an observation mission, the orbit has to be circular or near circular,” he said. MOM is in an elliptical orbit. “The technology is known. We did it with Chandrayaan,” he said. With the instruments on board MOM, ISRO could get some data and pictures, “but beyond that we cannot do high-end research with the data,” he said. Speaking on NASA’s mission, he said MAVEN, with 12 instruments, could dip into Mars’s atmosphere and collect data, whereas MOM could analyse only the diffused particles that come out of the atmosphere.

MAVEN is helping probe how Mars lost so much of its atmosphere, turning it into the dry and lifeless planet. Nair said the MOM has set back Chandrayaan-2 mission by at least two years. “Chandrayaan-2 would have taken off by now if not for MOM,” he said.

The second Moon mission will see a lunar orbiter, a lander and a lunar rover, all developed by India.He said China was working on the ambitious mission to bring back sample from the Moon. Next week, it is launching the Chang’e 4 mission to validate the re-entry technology for Chang’e 5, the robotic mission to collect samples and return them to the Earth.

Madhavan Nair said ISRO had plans to make reusable space vehicles, but it did not take off. “If we had pursued, we could have taken a leadership position on that,” he said, but added that no country was closer to realising that.

:-?
I think Madhavan Nair hould keep quite. He has been sidelined and the Twitter FB program was started when he started talking. Problem is he will be further sidelined now. Unfortunate
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

Nice read. R Aravamudan interview on Rediff about the olden days of Indian Rocketry.
Hailing from Madras, I could not get adjusted to.. Bombay and wanted to get back to the south. This was when.. being posted in Thumba.

The Nike Apache Rocket had been flown to Trivandrum and the Vapour Cloud payload had reached. Being hazardous items, the transportation of these from the US was in itself a pioneering effort and many a tale could be written on this.

The orange vapour trail was visible from all over Kerala and parts of Tamil Nadu. This created great excitement. Since the public had never seen such a sight before, it also gave rise to some hilarious newspaper reports.

In fact, the Kerala legislative assembly, which was in session, then apparently adjourned temporarily to have a good view of the bright vapour trail in the western sky!

When one of my colleagues pressed the siren switch, a thundering noise was heard and the rocket zoomed up....We learnt that day, how important it was to isolate the ground leads of the firing circuits from the general ground.

To our dismay, we found that the ignitor did not work in a vacuum, while it was fine under normal pressure. The ignitor design was modified and then it started functioning well in actual flights.

We also worked out a regular system of compensation for fishermen who claimed that their nets had been damaged by rocket debris.

The range was quite large in area and the only means of transport within the range was by bicycle. Those like Kalam who could not cycle had to hitch rides with others.

.... Professor Satish Dhawan...was until then in Bangalore as a professor in the Indian Institute of Science and also its Director... was responsible for moving the ISRO headquarters to Bangalore.

... Mangalyan ... is one of the most visible achievements of ISRO. But the reliability of its rockets and satellites and the ability to conceive, implement and complete on time its major tasks in a transparent and confident manner is its major achievement.

Bold letter emphasis is added by me.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

prasannasimha wrote: I think Madhavan Nair hould keep quite.
Stop using this thread to push your personal opinions on what a former ISRO boss should or should not say about how Indian taxpayer money is spent.

I respectfully disagree with Shree Nair that Mangalyan is nothing short of glorious, but he has every right to caution us.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

hnair wrote:
Stop using this thread to push your personal opinions on what a former ISRO boss should or should not say about how Indian taxpayer money is spent.

I respectfully disagree with Shree Nair that Mangalyan is nothing short of glorious, but he has every right to caution us.
So you agree that ISRO is living on past glory and all the other BS that Madhavan Nair is spouting? He is not cautioning us but pooh-poohing ISRO successes. He seems to have a beef with ISRO ever since the Antrix-Devas issue.

Is that what admins on this forum have degenerated to? Asking members to keep quiet if they don't agree with what Madhavan Nair is saying?
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

merlin, you have issues figuring out what I wrote or you want to pick a fight over something else? I explicitly disagreed with what Shree Madhavan Nair has to say on Mangalyaan, but has issues with a poster prasannasimha, proposing that ex-ISRO chairman keep quiet. You have no issues about a member doing that, but when an admin cautioned, it became "Asking members to keep quiet" ?

As for your pompous question "Is that what admins on this forum have degenerated to?". Targeting **all admins** since you have a beef with me, that must go to the Feedback thread.
patel
BRFite

Post by patel »

Stifling voices which do not agree with your POV is not going to help you in the long run. Don't get carried away, MN has contributed immensely to the nation's space efforts and that should always be in the back of our minds when reading what he has to say. The vision of Radhakrishnanji might differ from Nairji's but no one can doubt that both stand for making India stronger and a force to reckon with when it comes to space and research.

Not everyone is an anti-national like em chinese gundis.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

hnair wrote:merlin, you have issues figuring out what I wrote or you want to pick a fight over something else? I explicitly disagreed with what Shree Madhavan Nair has to say on Mangalyaan, but has issues with a poster prasannasimha, proposing that ex-ISRO chairman keep quiet. You have no issues about a member doing that, but when an admin cautioned, it became "Asking members to keep quiet" ?

As for your pompous question "Is that what admins on this forum have degenerated to?". Targeting **all admins** since you have a beef with me, that must go to the Feedback thread.
Sure dude. Whatever. Feedback thread ho ya kuch bhi ho.

I will say the same thing to Shri Nair. If you cannot praise your former organisation then don't criticize it by saying stuff like living on past glory, living on past glory. He of all people should know the constraints of the launcher which caused the current orbit of MOM. There are no other past ISRO chairmen who have run down their org they way he has.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

We do not know if MN has any ulterior motives in making these statements. So let us give him some space to make his views. We may not agree with it, but this man worked entire life for the nation and deserve some respect from every one.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

hnair wrote:

I think you should not flip the lid and should understand what I am saying.What I said is he had already voiced his issues before when he commented about MOM (In 2013 and even again in 2014) before.There were counterpoints made by those in ISRO also in response to that. He had an illustrious career but got into the Devas Antrix issue which unfortunately did harm to his career.His public outbursts unfortunately has made him out of the loop in ISRO whereas he could have continued to contribute. His outbursts is precisely why ISRO launched its social media campaign. Of course he has every right to speak his mind in a free country but then,by doing what he is doing now he is unfortunately harming his own position. If he has reservations about the project he can do it and present it formally and in scientific circles and not in public domain for sound bytes.. Look at UR Rao- he continues to contribute to ISRO despite retiring and was actively involved in payload selection. His contributions continue . That is the difference. Do you think that by antagonizing with his former organization he will be able to continue to contribute now ? Or would it be better to be involved and voice his concerns there where actually things could have been implemented?

Anyway not worth discussing - MOM is orbiting Mars - Can we call it back now ?. We have learnt a lot and are getting information and in fact a lot of surprises(for eg the full disc images are the sharpest ones available so far ) and who knows what more surprises are there in store ? We have to move forwards and not dwell on what is in the past. We ahve to concentrate on what more can be learnt with the payloads that we have on it.
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Cross posting from the Mangalyaan thread.
Shows Olympus Mons the largest Mountain in the Solar system
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Oct 17, 2014
The first orbit raising operation of IRNSS-1C is successfully completed by firing the Apogee Motor for 20 minutes, in the early morning of Oct 17, 2014. The orbital parameters are: Perigee Altitude: 320.5 km, Apogee Altitude: 35732.4 km
member_28108
BRFite

Post by member_28108 »

Launch photos from ISRO