LCA News and Discussions, 22-Oct-2013

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: LCA News and Discussions, 22-Oct-2013

Post by Indranil »

It will be very difficult to come up with true comparisons till LCA Mk2 is operationalized. In terms of efficiency etc, I think that they would be comparable as after all they are working under the same laws of physics, and engineers on both sides are very smart.

But in my eyes Gripen has 2 advantages:
1. It was fielded earlier. Teething problem were known earlier and got thrashed out earlier.
2. Gripen (currently) provides greater flexibility in terms of payload layouts.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Tejas to officially replace MiG-21 FL
SHILLONG: The indigenously developed light combat aircraft 'Tejas' would officially replace the MiG-21 FL fighter jet, chief of air staff of the Indian Air Force, Air chief marshal N A K Browne said on Thursday.

"One major phase has passed over and now we look toward the new induction into the force. The LCA will replace the MiG-21," Browne told reporters at the headquarter of Eastern Air Command here.

"We will get 40 aircraft and that will be the Mark-I type. Tejas will be battle ready by end of 2014," he said.

Defence minister A K Antony would officially hand over initiation of acceptance of the Tejas into the force at its birthplace in Bengaluru on December 20, the IAF chief said.

Browne, accompanied by his wife Kiran, was here on a two-day farewell visit and also attended a Commanders' Conference of the Eastern Air Command.

According to Browne, works are on for developing Mark-II type 'Tejas' with improvement in radar system and other add-ons and it will be inducted into the force at a later stage.

Asked on air defence scenario in the northeast region, Browne said, "North East area is important to us. We have plans for induction of radars for the hilly terrain. We have a series of systems that ensure that the air defence is impregnable."

He said one squadron of Sukhoi would be based in Tezpur by next year, adding that the latest squadron was being formed at Sirsa in Punjab.

On the MiG-21 FL which was phased out after 50-years of service, at a function at Kalaikunda Air base in West Bengal yesterday, Browne said, "It's been a memorable moment for the Air Force and also a watershed moment as the aircraft which trained all the fighter pilots including myself and generations of pilots."

"It has done its job. It has done well," he added.
Hope LCA replaces all Mig21's and more ... Jai Hind.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Sounded like YellCeeYea buzzed us folks in Bangalore this morning. I hope they put up a din-chak air display routine for the 20th Dec ceremony and it is not namby pamby handing over some keys/documents and some rambling nonsense by that barely comprehensible St. Anthony and other babus and brass :(( . But I guess we will get to see the faces of the babus and mantris and others and hear the canned wuga-wuga only and not see and hear the machine in the air. :x .

On another note, Pakis will now see the IAF qualitatively move away. The last of the legacy fighter aircraft where it had comparable answers is moving away in a step change from 1960 to 2010 , a fifty year tech and concept jump. They can wank away all they want about how "Sundar" their "Bandar" is, but they know what is where. They had 2 squadrons of F-16 BLK 52s, which is their best , but they are facing an opponent where the some 8 to 10 squadrons are now going to be BLK60 or better (when the MK2 comes in 2 years down the line) and that is at the "low end" :oops:
prabhug
BRFite

Post by prabhug »

yes This is going to be a new era for a Indian Aviation.Just persistence for 20 more years can save billions dollars of foreign exchange.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

pankajs wrote:Tejas to officially replace MiG-21 FL
--snip--
He said one squadron of Sukhoi would be based in Tezpur by next year, adding that the latest squadron was being formed at Sirsa in Punjab.
--snip--
Sirsa, Haryana - not Punjab.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

vina wrote: I hope they put up a din-chak air display routine for the 20th Dec ceremony and it is not namby pamby handing over some keys/documents and some rambling nonsense by that barely comprehensible St. Anthony and other babus and brass :((
:rotfl:
I too have always had to strain hard to be able to understand what that man says..and even then much of it I cannot fathom..
chiru
BRFite

Post by chiru »

vina wrote:Sounded like YellCeeYea buzzed us folks in Bangalore this morning. I hope they put up a din-chak air display routine for the 20th Dec ceremony
I saw it bankig left with its belly on display & it had a full A2A loadout 8)
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

which missiles?
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

I do not understand the first 20 aircrafts as per IOC standard and next 20 as per FOC standard bit.
I had asked this question before, but did not get a satisfactory answer.

IOC-2 will be achieved by 20th of December and as per ADA claims, FOC will be achieved by end December 2014.

HAL is going to deliver 2 SP aircraft by March 2014 and another 2 by the end of 2014. Thereafter they claim, that they will produce 8 aircrafts per year and eventually increase capacity to 16 per year.

This means that after the first 4 SP aircrafts are received by IAF, FOC will hopefully be achieved. The why produce another 16 planes, as per IOC standard, instead of FOC? Also there is no change between the two in terms of structural changes. The changes are only going to in the radar, weapons and some changes in the FBW FSC to increase the AoA.
After the first 4 SP planes or at the most 6-8 Sp planes, they can very well switch to producing FOC standard aircrafts.

The only way this makes sense is that if IAF truly wants the LCA MK-1 IOC-2 standard planes to eventually replace MiG-21FL's and use them as a conversion unit planes. In that case using IOC standard planes make more sense then FOC standard ones.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

IOC and FOC are just some monikers. The hardware is pretty much frozen in terms of what is going to get rolled out. What will be changed is just some software in the computers between the two blocks. In terms of actually bashing metal(oops composites) and assembly etc, it wont make much difference and all the initial versions will be brought upto the final standards via software updates.

The remaining work is only testing and firing and proving stuff.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Actually IOC-2 is more about opening various envelops and actual demonstration of advertised capabilities. It should be minor changes.

FOC will have to qualify for newer engine, radar and aerodynamics. IOC-2 would have cleared much of other stuff.
member_24903
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_24903 »

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/l ... 448842.ece
BANGALORE, December 12, 2013
Updated: December 12, 2013 00:55 IST

LCA set to join IAF

Madhumathi D. S.

The tail-less little wonder is set to earn its initial operational clearance

Even as the workhorse of the Indian Air Force, MiG-21, bowed out on Wednesday, indigenously developed Light Combat Aircraft, Tejas, is just a formality away from passing into the hands of the force.

Dubbed the world’s lightest fighter, the tail-less little wonder is due to ceremonially earn its initial operational clearance (IOC) and move closer to joining the IAF at its birthplace, Bangalore, on December 20.

The event will see its creator and developer, the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) under the DRDO, hand over an aircraft, along with the user manuals, in as good as battle-ready state to the IAF.

Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal N.A.K. Browne, and DRDO Director-General Avinash Chander are slated to be present at the ceremony along with the “who’s who” of the military set-up.

After obtaining the IOC, the ADA’s production partner, state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd., will start producing 20 of them in the IOC version, said an official involved in the 25-year-old LCA programme.

Yet, the LCA will be considered fully battle-ready only around end-2014, after it clears firing more lethal armaments and missiles.

HAL says it plans to initially produce eight LCA for the IAF a year from 2014-15, and raise the delivery rate to 12-16 a year subsequently. Its production centre in Bangalore has built up nearly 28,000 sq m of space to house the LCA’s hangar and engineering sections. A repair and overhaul unit is to follow later.

Two squadrons (each having 18-20 aircraft) are expected to be delivered in five years, that is, around 2019. The IAF is expected to eventually station the LCA fleet at the Sulur Air Force Station near Coimbatore.

In the next decade, the IAF is estimated to need 200-220 LCAs as per past statements. HAL has supplied a limited series of eight aircraft leading to the IOC and has orders for 40 LCA from the IAF: of them, 20 are to be in the IOC mode for an order worth Rs. 4,000 crore and another 20 in the FOC mode. The Navy, too, it is said, needs 40 of them to replace the Sea Harriers.On December 7, the LCA made another mark after it released an air-to-air missile that also ‘killed’ a moving practice target.

Tejas is a fourth-generation fighter with contemporary technologies.
chiru
BRFite

Post by chiru »

Karan M wrote:which missiles?
not sure, looked like 4 r-73s
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I think there is a strategic reason as well in chosing the same baseline GE engine for both Gripen NG and Tejas Mk2.
Indranil sahib, would not be still comparable from the capability projection angle?

I am saying Mk2++ vs Gripen NG for the following projections
- El/M 2052 india-genized
- Stores management - French, Israel, Indian, Russian, and perhaps American weapons integration platform
- Greater reach by increased fuel
- Retractable fueler and deep strike missions
- Integrated ECM and IRST (not sure internalizing siva pod is planned), mayavi?
- redesign for super cruise?
- lower RCS than Gripen

Gripen NG
- super cruise
- raven aesa +/- advantage
- field replacement LRU service-ability and MTBF values
- operational qualities
- rcs --

In addition, if Gripen NG was selected for MMRCA, it would not help in the following:
- platform for testing reduced signatures
- fly by optics
- next generation net-centric warfare integrations
- stealth skins test platform
- kaveri ++
- home grown aesa integration
- metrics from measurements
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

vina wrote:IOC and FOC are just some monikers. The hardware is pretty much frozen in terms of what is going to get rolled out. What will be changed is just some software in the computers between the two blocks. In terms of actually bashing metal(oops composites) and assembly etc, it wont make much difference and all the initial versions will be brought upto the final standards via software updates.

The remaining work is only testing and firing and proving stuff.
DFCC Mk2 and ADC Mk2 for the FCS are the two new pieces of HW planned. Wonder if they have already been tested and flight qualified or whether they will be retrofitted to earlier SPs later.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

chiru wrote:
Karan M wrote:which missiles?
not sure, looked like 4 r-73s
could be correct, as right now IOC only have WVR missiles in it
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

SaiK wrote:I think there is a strategic reason as well in chosing the same baseline GE engine for both Gripen NG and Tejas Mk2.
Indranil sahib, would not be still comparable from the capability projection angle?
You have to educate me on what is "capability projection angle".

I was asked to compare the specifications of Tejas Mk2 against the Gripen (NG), and I just said my views. We have some catching up to do. We have to get the plane in the air, fix the AESA, IRST(?), develop 1200 ltr supersonic tanks and pylons for multiple munitions. I personally always like the under-body weapon stations of NG more than Mk2. By having weapon station 5, 5R and 5L and moving 4 slightly ahead, then can provide more flexibility than Mk2's weapon stations. If station 5 is used for a fuel tank, then it is the same as Mk2. But otherwise, they will have one extra hardpoint. Actually, this was an improvement from Gripen 39C to the NG and what I expected from Mk1 to Mk2.

For example this weapons layout is not possible on the Mk2.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

Aeromag jan-feb 2013 issue pg.9 ADA director interview
Could you share your thoughts on the roadmap for the LCA-Tejas programme and the milestones you are looking going forward to?

After the IOC clearance, we are going to work towards FOC in which we will envisage the flight envelope of the aircraft from the 22 degree of angular attack to 24 degree of attack and the maneuvering of the aircraft from 6 g to 8 g. Also we will integrate new missiles. For FOC we have to achieve the inflight refueling, which will give extended flying hours.
And towards FOC target realisation we are integrating a 23 mm gun and also some other conventional weapons indicated by
the Air Force.

So before the FOC completion, all these activities are achievable. By 2014 December we will achieve full FOC reaching all
objectives and that will see 20 Aircraft ordered by IAF. We hope that within about five years, the 40 aircraft ordered by IAF 20 in the IOC configuration and 20 in the FOC clearance configuration can be delivered. And during this process, some refinement of the software and some of the hardware if necessary will also be done.
That's the list and I guess LSP-6 will have IFR probe and the gun hence taking so much time.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

For example this weapons layout is not possible on the Mk2
Only because the LCA under-body has one less station?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

NRao wrote:
For example this weapons layout is not possible on the Mk2
Only because the LCA under-body has one less station?
Just give me a way to put that configuration in any way on the LCA Mk2.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

I do not have any. But,v is there any other reason? Learning here.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

The only reasons that I have heard till now are:
1. What is the need? If we want a different payload, we will go for a different plane in the arsenal.
2. It will require re-engineering like pushing the wheels out to retract into a fairing at the wing root. It has its pros and cons:
Pros: opens up space for more stations, reduces interference drag.
Cons: will delay Mk2 development time, increases wave drag (which they are current trying to overcome).

All are good thoughts. But when we compare specs to specs, mk2 will be found wanting in this aspect. I have one more worry. I have seen no official confirmation on an internal IRST.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

does that gripen pic above have space for landing gear to deploy? it seems like they put tanks and bombs everyplace.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

capability projection meaning (as we are yet to operationalize) what existing specifications meets the capability mapped to IAF qualitative requirements...[let us define/assume a capability as a set of operational specifications] just to get that traceability view. This is one of the normal complaints we get from forces to DRDO establishments, where they often spend too much time in user acceptance, trials, and prolong the rubber meets the road agenda.

but, again only if you can and time permits... nice to know info (public info onlee).
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Ah for FOC,the boxes that need to be checked are Radar guided missiles, Gsh 23L firing, unguided rockets (FFAR ), inflight refueling and of course software upgrades for 24deg AoA, giving 8g capability.

Not too much to ask. I guess after FOC there will be a couple of upgrades to the SW to bring it upto close to 26Deg AoA and full 9G. The airframe is 9G rated anyways. Man , are they being ultra careful in opening up the AoA envelope! :(
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Do not know about ultra-careful, but certainly will help with future efforts - like the AMCA. With a whole bunch of "stuff" tested and qualified/certified, things should move much faster. To me "LCA" means testing and certification.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Karan M wrote:does that gripen pic above have space for landing gear to deploy? it seems like they put tanks and bombs everyplace.
May be not possible. Not because of the MLG doors, but rather because I am not sure if 5L and 5R are plumbed. But there are a variety of load outs which are advertised by Gripen which are not possible on the Mk2. May be not needed as the MTOW of Tejas Mk2 is going to be lower than NG.

None of these are possible

vina wrote:Ah for FOC,the boxes that need to be checked are Radar guided missiles, Gsh 23L firing, unguided rockets (FFAR ), inflight refueling and of course software upgrades for 24deg AoA, giving 8g capability.

Not too much to ask. I guess after FOC there will be a couple of upgrades to the SW to bring it upto close to 26Deg AoA and full 9G. The airframe is 9G rated anyways. Man , are they being ultra careful in opening up the AoA envelope! :(

I don't think that they would take it to 9G on Mk1 with the weight growth. There would not be enough margin for error, is my guess.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

i'd wait to see actual load outs before taking gripen PR as achievable. some of their range payload figures in the past, were fudged/misleading as well.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

indranilroy wrote:
Karan M wrote:does that gripen pic above have space for landing gear to deploy? it seems like they put tanks and bombs everyplace.
May be not possible. Not because of the MLG doors, but rather because I am not sure if 5L and 5R are plumbed. But there are a variety of load outs which are advertised by Gripen which are not possible on the Mk2. May be not needed as the MTOW of Tejas Mk2 is going to be lower than NG.

Saab's Demo aircraft to highlight Gripen NG capabilities
A new main landing gear housed in the wing root has freed up space for 40% more internal fuel, which will increase unrefuelled ferry range to 4,070km (2,200nm).

The new undercarriage configuration also means two Terma heavy stores pylons have been added to the aircraft's belly, with two 907kg GBU-10 laser-guided bombs carried for the roll-out.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

indranilroy wrote:...
While this load out is possible and makes great PR, it will never carry this kind of load out in real world because it is impractical (especially in the context of the IAF and its use of PGMs). I mean what type of real-world mission would a Gripen NG-sized fighter use 2 NSMs plus 4 LGBs with 4 MRAAMs and 2 SRAAMs in a single sortie? Range would be severely restricted with this load out and if a bogey does show up it will need to jettison its AGMs/LGBs to be effective in air-to-air combat. If the weapon load out is not practical for a combat mission it is just wastage because shelf-life of the weapons are going to be reduced and/or they are being jettisoned during combat.

This is a more practical load out IMO.
indranilroy wrote:...
But I think even MRAAM load out are overkill here. It would be better to have a wingman that is configured for air-to-air role carrying 4-6 MR-AAMs plus drop tanks. French Rafales were paired up like this during the Libyan operations.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

What is missing is the pic of the pilot crouched in his seat holding a Stinger by his side. Kya mazaak hai.
kuldipchager
BRFite

Post by kuldipchager »

negi Post subject: Re: LCA News and Discussions, 22-Oct-2013Posted: 13 Dec 2013 06:02

BRF Oldie

Location: Mai satya kahata hu sakhe, sukumar mat jano mujhe yamraj se bhi yuddh mein prastut sada mano mujhe. What is missing is the pic of the pilot crouched in his seat holding a Stinger by his side. Kya mazaak hai.

[i]You are right.Why these jo jo giving Saab NG when NG is on drawing board only.How knows if swedon is going to make NG or not.
We should talk what we have the best and how we can make better then NG.
[/i]
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

chackojoseph wrote:Actually IOC-2 is more about opening various envelops and actual demonstration of advertised capabilities. It should be minor changes.

FOC will have to qualify for newer engine, radar and aerodynamics. IOC-2 would have cleared much of other stuff.
why will FOC need to qualify for a new engine, radar or aerodynamics? FOC is for the Tejas Mk1, not referring to the Tejas Mk2, which will have a separate flight test program, with its own parameters for IOC and FOC.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Is the restriction in AOA anything to do with the issue of air-flow into the nacelles at these angles?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

rohitvats wrote:Is the restriction in AOA anything to do with the issue of air-flow into the nacelles at these angles?
No.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

indranilroy wrote:
rohitvats wrote:Is the restriction in AOA anything to do with the issue of air-flow into the nacelles at these angles?
No.
Agree with Indranil. I'd posed this question (based on something Ajai Shukla had reported, about possible flame-outs) to Cmde Maolankar at AI-'13 and he dismissed it completely.

But this conflicting 22 deg AoA that PS Subramanyam states and the 24 deg AoA that Cmde Mao stated is confusing. From what I could gather, they'd already tested it to 24 deg AoA.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^

It could be that not all test parameters at 24 deg AoA have been completed for official certification.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Mk 1 is going to be an 8G aircraft and not a 9G one unless things have changed from AI13. Hence 22 AoA for IOC and 24 AoA for FOC. But just like at IOC Mk 1 is cleared for 6G but has been test flown at least once at 7G, Mk 1 may have flown at least once at 24 AoA or Mao was mistaken.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

there was a pic posted (AWST) of all the weapons IAF has asked for LCA MK1. variety indeed. Kh-series missiles included.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

KaranM wrote:there was a pic posted (AWST) of all the weapons IAF has asked for LCA MK1. variety indeed. Kh-series missiles included.
Surely, they cannot expect it to carry the entire kitchen sink and prove it within the timeframe. This kind of thing needs to be in blocks. The IAF has lost it in terms of project management. Get the basic daal chaawal version into service ASAP!