Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
ManuJ
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Indian Army News & Discussions - 11 June 2014

Post by ManuJ »

India's pathetic legal system and law-and-order situation (both are related of course) affects every common man, deteriorating quality of lives and greatly reducing productivity. I'm sure there are studies to show how much GDP is lost because of these issues which have very practical solutions but no political will.

While I understand that the problems are exacerbated because of long absences from home, what we don't need, and what will not work, are specific solutions for military personnel that leaves 99% of India's population in the lurch. We need to fix these structural issues. For everyone.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ManuJ wrote:India's pathetic legal system and law-and-order situation (both are related of course) affects every common man, deteriorating quality of lives and greatly reducing productivity. I'm sure there are studies to show how much GDP is lost because of these issues which have very practical solutions but no political will.

While I understand that the problems are exacerbated because of long absences from home, what we don't need, and what will not work, are specific solutions for military personnel that leaves 99% of India's population in the lurch. We need to fix these structural issues. For everyone.
Some of these problems are unique to the armed forces / Para military forces. We have to put in place some mitigants that addresses the issues. Waiting for structural fixes will be a wait till enternity.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Vidur wrote:7. Leave - An important factor. No Coy Cdr or CO would like to deny leave but in operational locations due to commitments it may not be possible. Army is constantly called in for all manner of civil help. This increases operational load and impacts leave as well. Hard to see how this can be addressed. We may have to live with it.
Plus when one gets three weeks leave one spends stressing about the railway ticket and then spends at least a week in the travel..If reservation does not happen then you are travelling in unreserved compartments or that was the case then.

There is also the case that the CI involvement has taken away the time for the bonding between offers and men that used to happen in the past.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

ArjunPandit wrote:three things hemant
1. This news report seems to be motivated. Tribune is from chandigarh which apart from providing an endless supply roadies, also is the homestate of the so called chd group in armed forces. Gen Panag, Ajai Shukla and parveen sawhney and some others are the flag bearers. WIth all due respect for their service and sacrifices for nation they still seem to think that appeasement of paxtan is the way forward. May be they know something that we and this govt doesnt. Not official but just unofficial
I am a Chandigarhian at heart and have enough retired army officers in my circle and family that I have lost count who have settled in Chandigarh.
Tribune(India) is leading newspaper that is providing yeoman service to the people of Himachal, Punjab and Haryana. I have grown up on its territorials.
You are seeking a causation in a newspaper and a city settled by the hills and none exists.

And there is no organised underground club in Chandigarh where retired army officers meet to raise to General Panag and plan the next coup in Delhi.
The Chandigarhian women are too busy outspending each other on fashion and home rennovation these days. ALso don't forget that Colonel Shukla is a Delhite at heart. I doubt Praveen has anything to do with Chd.

The only thing we Chandigarhians are bitter about is the loss of shopping mood and mahaul in Sector-17 to a large one roof mall of international size near the tribune complex.

:-)

Please do visit us at Chandigarh in Spring time. Currently the air quality is trying to outmatch New Delhi.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/DefenceDecode/statu ... 45504?s=20 ---> The Indian Army has inducted 1st three sets of DRDO's SHORT-SPAN BRIDGING SYSTEM (SSBS) 10M. It is a mechanically launched bridging system of MLC-70 load class to bridge small gaps and canals. In addition to bridging the smaller gaps, this bridging system will be compatible with SARVATRA bridging system so that various gaps of 5m to 75m, in steps of 10m, can be bridged. The equipment will meet the important requirement of providing mobility to own forces by speedy bridging of gaps during operations.

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Vidur we need to find the original article here:

https://usiofindia.org/strategic-perspectives/

October December 2020 per Tribune

"Excerpts of the same have been put up on the USI website under ‘strategic perspectives’ for the period October-December 2020"
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Khalsa wrote: I am a Chandigarhian at heart and have enough retired army officers in my circle and family that I have lost count who have settled in Chandigarh.
Tribune(India) is leading newspaper that is providing yeoman service to the people of Himachal, Punjab and Haryana. I have grown up on its territorials.
You are seeking a causation in a newspaper and a city settled by the hills and none exists.

And there is no organised underground club in Chandigarh where retired army officers meet to raise to General Panag and plan the next coup in Delhi.
The Chandigarhian women are too busy outspending each other on fashion and home rennovation these days. ALso don't forget that Colonel Shukla is a Delhite at heart. I doubt Praveen has anything to do with Chd.

The only thing we Chandigarhians are bitter about is the loss of shopping mood and mahaul in Sector-17 to a large one roof mall of international size near the tribune complex.

Please do visit us at Chandigarh in Spring time. Currently the air quality is trying to outmatch New Delhi.
Apologies sir, I thought having spent sometime there i make some jokes on my second home..but i can lay some claim to chandigarh kalka pinjore mohali and panchkula in myself. Didnt spend a lifetime there but entire summer vacations in kalka when dad was posted there...traveling the famed Kalka shatabdi that used to pass through cants in those days...my love for city trumps my ancestral city of jaipur..partially due to the free mangoes that i had plucked from the trees in those days..and partially due to the amazing rides from kalka ..and yes tribune was the morning newspaper ...

apologies couldnt resist the nostalgia about childhood days...leaving the nostalgia aside, the entire city and its all military residents are not bad apples. Apologies if it came that ways. it was just a very very simplistic root cause analysis. I did use seemingly.

And yes the bad apples of so called chd gang which is unorganized have been their hearts in delhi ..the coup remains the co(u)pyright of coupta ji.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I can't find the original article in the USI Strategic Perspectives journal. Issue October-December 2020.
If someone finds please post.

However, both RM has been made aware of this and will come up with measures.

I wish instead of dark hints people who are aware of give solutions.

The service-related issues need more troops to rotate out and empathy for the JCO and Jawans.
the Railways and domestic issues need civil administration engagement.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Rakesh wrote:https://twitter.com/DefenceDecode/statu ... 45504?s=20 ---> The Indian Army has inducted 1st three sets of DRDO's SHORT-SPAN BRIDGING SYSTEM (SSBS) 10M. It is a mechanically launched bridging system of MLC-70 load class to bridge small gaps and canals. In addition to bridging the smaller gaps, this bridging system will be compatible with SARVATRA bridging system so that various gaps of 5m to 75m, in steps of 10m, can be bridged. The equipment will meet the important requirement of providing mobility to own forces by speedy bridging of gaps during operations.
DRDO MLC-70 class bridges:
  1. SSBS 5m
  2. SSBS 10m
  3. BLT-T-72 22m
  4. Arjun BLT 24m
  5. Modular Bridge 14m-46m
  6. SARVATRA 5m-75m (15m plus SSBS 5m & 10m compatible)
All can support fully kitted and loaded Arjun Mk1A. Weight no excuse.

Production agency is L&T
https://www.lnt-defence.com/our-offerin ... g-systems/

Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Indian Army to soon have women pilots in combat flying role? Here’s what Army Chief said.

Following the Indian Navy and the Air Force, soon the Indian Army will have women pilots in the combat flying role. Ahead of the Army Day on January 15, the Indian Army Chief Gen MM Naravane has said “In December last, I proposed Army Aviation to have women pilots.” Later this year in July in the next course, the women officers will undergo pilot training. And, after undergoing training for one year the women officers will be deployed for flying duties in frontline operational units. In 2022, there will be women pilots in the Army Aviation Corps.

According to the chief, “Military Secretary, Aviation Directorate and the Adjutant General’s branch, have all reached a consensus that the lady officers should be there for flying duties.”

There are no women officers in the flying branch, though they are deployed at the Air Traffic Control duties (ATC) for ground duties.

Women Pilots in Navy & IAF

There are 10 women fighter pilots in the IAF and the Indian Navy has women pilots who are flying the Dornier aircraft. They are also the flying onboard the Dornier and the American P8I surveillance aircraft as observers. Around 111 women pilots are flying the transport aircraft and helicopters in IAF

More about the Army Aviation Corps

It is the youngest Corps in the Indian army and has in its fleet Chetak, Cheetah, Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) Dhruv, and Rudra helicopters. These helicopters are used for reconnaissance, casualty evacuations, load drops, observation as well as search and rescue operations.

These assets of the Aviation Corps were deployed during the Galwan clashes in eastern Ladakh last June for the combat search and rescue operations.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

And from the Army..

The reasons given by the different women (mostly from rural areas) are inspiring.. and as expected, a few want to emulate their fathers and relatives who served in the forces.

Salt of the earth folk

Maharashtra: Fire in the belly, rural women turn up for Army recruitment
PUNE: A large crowd of determined women from across rural Maharashtra milled inside the Army Institute of Physical Training (AIPT) in Hadapsar on Tuesday. It was the first day of the women’s recruitment rally for the posts of soldier on general duty, and each aspirant had a different reason to be there — love for the services, a disciplined life, a stable job, better salaries and respect in society.

Laxmi Khate, daughter of a retired soldier, wants to do what her father could not. “He opted for voluntary retirement and did not complete his full service for medical reasons. I want to join the army and fulfill his dreams,” she said. Laxmi scored an impressive 88% in her exams SSC and is studying for a bachelor’s degree in science, but says she is cut out for the army.

Ashwini Kekan from Beed district prepared all by herself for the rally over the last three months. “A soldier gets immense, unmatched respect. I want to earn that respect by joining the army,” she said. Ashwini stood first in the 1.6km running event and completed the mandatory high and long jumps comfortably. A content Ashwini, sitting on AIPT’s lawns with others who had cleared the physical tests, said her father, a labourer, had encouraged her to apply for the recruitment.

Priyanka Jaygude ran barefoot. “During the run, I did not think about my feet. My aim was to complete 1.6km in seven minutes and cross the first hurdle in the rally,” said the girl from Wai in Satara district.

Those who failed in the ground events were undeterred and spoke about preparing for future recruitment rallies. “I travelled over 450km to participate in the recruitment rally. I could not push myself after the third round because of my hamstring injury. Had I practised enough, I would have finished in style,” said Swati Dhaykar from Jalgaon district.

Akanksha Khade, a second year bachelor in arts student from Ahmednagar, said was inspired by the army personnel in her locality. “I have been seeing them in uniform since childhood. I joined the National Cadet Corps and want to become like them one day,” she added.

“Deshbhakti” was Anita Bhosale’s one-word answer for wanting to join the army. “My father retired as a soldier after 30 years’ service. I want to carry forward his legacy. I had gone to the Jabalpur rally, but could not clear the written examination. I am now prepared and confident of clearing the exam,” she said. Anita has a first class degree in business administration and had secured 93% in her SSC board exams.

On the grounds, the women shared techniques, encouraged and cheered fellow participants, and laughed together. “This is a completely different atmosphere from the male recruitment rallies,” an army officer said. “Most women here are from rural areas and their parents have supported them. It is a good sign. We could see determination, tenacity and sportsmanship in them.”
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

srai wrote: DRDO MLC-70 class bridges:
  1. SSBS 5m
  2. SSBS 10m
  3. BLT-T-72 22m
  4. Arjun BLT 24m
  5. Modular Bridge 14m-46m
  6. SARVATRA 5m-75m (15m plus SSBS 5m & 10m compatible)
All can support fully kitted and loaded Arjun Mk1A. Weight no excuse.
https://twitter.com/Amitraaz/status/134 ... 34499?s=20 ---> Pontoon Bridge System.

* Maximum load-carrying capacity: 60 tonnes
* Can transport military vehicles over water obstacles and marshy grounds.
* Vehicle is 8 Cylinder, "V" type, Air-cooled engine, 402 HP(300kw)
* Transmission: 10 forward and 2 reverse gears.
* Bridge length: 227 m

***VIDEO*** https://twitter.com/Amitraaz/status/134 ... 04993?s=20 ---> The midstream members are joined together to form the floating part and the bank. The shore members are connected to the midstream members and serve as the transition section between the floating part and the bank.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

ArjunPandit wrote:
Khalsa wrote: I am a Chandigarhian at heart and have enough retired army officers in my circle and family that I have lost count who have settled in Chandigarh.

Apologies sir, I thought having spent sometime there i make some jokes on my second home..but i can lay some claim to chandigarh kalka pinjore mohali and panchkula in myself. Didnt spend a lifetime there but entire summer vacations in kalka when dad was posted there...traveling the famed Kalka shatabdi that used to pass through cants in those days...my love for city trumps my ancestral city of jaipur..partially due to the free mangoes that i had plucked from the trees in those days..and partially due to the amazing rides from kalka ..and yes tribune was the morning newspaper ...

apologies couldnt resist the nostalgia about childhood days...leaving the nostalgia aside, the entire city and its all military residents are not bad apples. Apologies if it came that ways. it was just a very very simplistic root cause analysis. I did use seemingly.

And yes the bad apples of so called chd gang which is unorganized have been their hearts in delhi ..the coup remains the co(u)pyright of coupta ji.

Thank you Sir you are very kind.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Happy Army Day to all our beloved and brave Pongos! Salute.
Chinmay
BRFite

Post by Chinmay »

Drone swarm demo at the Army Day parade

https://twitter.com/Aryan_warlord/statu ... 3323181057
amitverma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by amitverma »

Much like the PLA videos from earlier this year the #IndianArmy also displays drones delivering supplies via paradrop & direct delivery .
A swarm of 75 drones can deliver 600kg of supplies or munitions to any location within range .
Plan to grow into swarms of 1000's of drones.

https://twitter.com/Aryan_warlord/statu ... 6791262208
amitverma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by amitverma »

The Kamikaze loitering munition drones destroy targets on live TV display today .
The #IndianArmy has displayed capabilities that will cause much heartache to #Islamabad & #Beijing today .

https://twitter.com/Aryan_warlord/statu ... 1791097857
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Gen Panag on army re-oragnisation.

https://theprint.in/opinion/strike-corp ... ng/584936/

Reducing the total manpower and going in for greater mechanization is a must. The tracked FICV should be taken up on an urgent basis and 800-1200 Kestrel wheeled APCs should be ordered for the army.
Bharadwaj
BRFite

Post by Bharadwaj »

Shiv/Cybersug has the full drone demo video. Livefist says these drones are from Sameer Joshi's firm- NewSpace Research & Technologies. This week has bought so many pieces of good news.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Way to go !!

Army Day wishes to our forces !
Vips
BRF Oldie

Post by Vips »

Indian Army Presents New Upgrade Of ZSU-23-4 Shilka 23mm Anti-Aircraft Tracked system.
The ZSU-23-4 was upgraded in India by the company BEL (Bharat Electronics Limited), one of the main new features, is the replacement of the old RPK 2 radar with a new 3D Active Phased Array Radar mounted at the rear of the roof turret. The upgraded Shilka offers more accurate identification, acquisition, and tracking of targets while operating in an ECM (Electronic Counter-Measure) environment. It can now engage aerial targets during day or night as well as in all weather conditions.

The upgraded ZSU-23-4 Shilka also features multiple target tracking due to electronic steering in elevation, new air conditioning, user-friendly operator displays, a new engine with a drastic reduction in fuel consumption, and a new CBRN ( chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear ) protection system.
A Nandy
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by A Nandy »

Massive might of the Indian state on display.

Let those chinese *turds come :twisted:
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/TheWolfpackIN/statu ... 22338?s=20 ---> Report: Indian Army has leased four Israeli IAI Heron TP MALE UAVs for (3+2) years. It has an endurance of 36 hours & flight ceiling of 45,000 feet and can carry 1000kg payload.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

With China challenge hanging, India bolstering defences in North East with troop reorientation
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... 076287.cms
18 Feb 2021
As part of a multi-pronged plan to improve border security along the contentious China border, revised scales have been planned for existing Assam Rifles battalions being de-inducted from counter insurgency roles that will equip them with heavy weapons and artillery. With internal security situation improving in the North East, Assam Rifles battalions that earlier had a secondary role on the border are likely to be moved to forward locations, away from the hinterland in the next three months.
These battalions will be given a revised scale of weapons in the border guarding role, including mortars, grenade launchers and anti-tank guided missiles. Besides, they are also likely to be equipped with 105 mm field artillery guns. The Assam Rifles has 46 infantry battalions, out of which 20 are deployed on the Indo-Myanmar border. Army chief Gen MM Naravane recently said that the plan is to have 29 battalions in a border guarding role in the near future. Plans are also underway to raise a new armoured brigade with fresh main battle tanks to improve defences in Sikkim, which has been emerging as a flashpoint with repeated efforts by China to test India’s patience at Naku La and Doklam.
Plans are underway to raise 18 India Reserve Battalions for Nagaland, Manipur and Assam, besides posting in four additional Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) units as the Assam Rifles and army refocuses. As part of its recalibration efforts that have been on for two years, the army has already disengaged 14 infantry battalions from internal duties and two division headquarters that were part of the counter insurgency grid will be fully focusing on the border guarding role.
ManuJ
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ManuJ »

The 2nd division for 17 Mountain Corps finally being raised.

https://theprint.in/defence/army-to-rai ... %20learnt.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

How CISF plans to absorb retired Army personnel into its ranks
New Delhi: To help and rehabilitate retired Army personnel, the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) is all set to engage 2,000 of them in the ranks of sub-inspector and below, in various units across the country on contractual basis.

The force Tuesday invited applications from servicemen, who have retired from the Army and are below the age of 50 years, through an advertisement.

Along with the salary from CISF, the ex-servicemen will continue to receive their pension, the official added.

“This is a pilot project that started with the CISF. If it succeeds, then there will be another drive to recruit more people within the CISF and even to the other CAPFs (Central Armed Police Forces). The aim is to rehabilitate Army personnel who retire early after 5, 10 or 20 years of service, and use their expertise,” said chief PRO, CISF, DIG Amil Pandey.

“These servicemen have the Army discipline and training. Also, they know how forces work and they are fit for security duties. It will be an added support for our personnel as well. We look forward to making these recruitments and having these personnel on board,” Pandey said.
Good move.

IMHO, retired Army personnel should get first preference in recruitment in BSF, CISF, RAF, and State Police Forces. Even in Fire Brigades.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Made in India tents for Ladakh., presented by Mr. Wangchuk. Created by the university established by Mr. Wangchuk (movie 3-idiots is based on his vision)

manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

A heavily insulated green house !!
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Indian Army likely to start using SAI for internal communications from April 1
From April 1, the Indian Army is likely to start using SAI (Secure Application for Internet), a messaging platform, for internal communications, Army chief General M M Naravane said on Wednesday.

He said the application, developed by Colonel Sai Shankar, is undergoing the process of getting cyber and security clearance and data testing.

"One of our officers has developed a software application, which is the equivalent of WhatsApp.

"We plan to introduce that throughout the Indian Army. It is undergoing cyber clearance, security clearance and data testing. And maybe from April 1, we will only use that for our internal communications," Naravane said
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Sharing some thread exchanges with Pravin Shawney. Concepts of ops, tactics, Op art, embedded in these. Have tried to teach Shawney basics but have failed. Maybe members here can benefit

https://twitter.com/Ak5985965/status/13 ... 30369?s=20

https://twitter.com/Ak5985965/status/13 ... 41600?s=20
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Lastly this thread is my pinned thread. Response to the Honour Code/Chetwode code invoked by those handful who I can only call either partially or fully urban naxals in uniform. Directed at Maj Gen BS Dhanoa, Brig Sandy Thapar and others.

https://twitter.com/Ak5985965/status/13 ... 95552?s=20
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Brilliant sir.
Trust you and the family are well.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

Brilliant Akshay ji .
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Thanks Akshay Ji!!
I am surprised that Nation first, people under me second and me last is even up for discussion or reinterpretation. The only people who have problems are traitors or losers. You can see the same parallel in Politics - Modi is not the legitimate ruler as he did not win minority votes (or the quality of his vote is lower than whatever standards Yogendra Yadav has), or in sports - India won but UK/Australia/TSP won heart so actually India lost....so on and so forth. Thanks for standing up, hopefully, more veterans will take a stand. Somebody had to start, you have done it. And yes, it takes lots of courage to do that, making it easier for others to follow.
mody
BRFite

Post by mody »

Great posts Akshay ji!!! Keep it up. The Chetwode code should be taught to everyone from the school level, not just for military veterans, but all citizens.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

From next week, troops at LoC and LAC to get new & more lethal Israeli Light Machine Guns
New Delhi: Troops positioned along the Line of Control (LoC) and the Line of Actual Control (LAC) under the Northern Command will get the first tranche of Israeli Light Machine Gun (LMG) Negev NG-7 that has been procured under the fast-track procurement process (FTP).

Sources in the defence and security establishment told ThePrint that while 6,000 of the 7.62X51 mm LMGs, with belt ammunition capability, landed in the country in January, their acceptance trials are being completed and that forward troops will get their hands on them next week.
:
:
:
sajaym
BRFite

Post by sajaym »

It is also capable of pinpoint, single bullet shooting for enhanced firing accuracy,
This is significant. This means that if the Negev is deployed with optical sights, then the operator can also switch roles between putting down suppressing fire and also acting as a sniper :shock: ! But here again optics is the key, deploying Negevs or Sigs on the borders with just iron sights won't cut it.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Twitter link

Integrated Exercise #RUDRAKAVACH carried out between #Mechanized columns & #Rudra Attack Helicopter Squadron; all mission parameters achieved. #RisingStarCorps

@adgpi

@HQ_IDS_India

@SpokespersonMoD

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/rajatpTOI/status/13 ... 17665?s=20 ---> Defence Ministry signs a contract with defence PSU Bharat Dynamics for supply of 4,960 Milan-2T anti-tank guided missiles for the Army at a cost of Rs 1,188 crore. Milan-2T is a tandem warhead ATGM with a range of 1,850 metres, produced by BDL under license from MBDA France.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

I hope MPATGM of DRDO is also progressing fast and can be deployed in numbers