Neutering & Defanging Chinese Threat (09-08-2014)

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Re: Neutering & defeating Chinese Threat (09-08-2014)

Post by SwamyG »

SriKumar wrote:I doubt it. No reason to give more credit to the Chinese planners than is necessary. If indeed Doka La was feint for something else, they have spent a remarkable amount of time hemming and hawing about it. It is more than 2 months now....and nothing has happened. The Chinese strategists are not super-minds that all outcomes of a move are known to them ahead of time. In this case, I do think that they were surprised by Indian troops blocking their construction activity. I dont think they expected it and are hurriedly looking at options to get out of this jam. If they actually expected India to stop them, their reaction to it does seem un-prepared and haphazard.

Now that they are in a jam however, one can expect them to look for pressure points everywhere (as ulanbatori listed) and try to convert this crisis for them into an opportunity.

*: The only possibility of Doka La being a feint is that US-NoKo stuff started many months ago and was threatening to get hotter. They started Doka La after that (mid-May?), so one could argue this. But then, they had to be sure that India would put troops into Bhutan/China disputed area. This is unprecedented for India and so I dont think could have been sure of the response.
Chinese clearly did not expect the response from Modi sarkar. Having said that, I see so much exuberance here that I hope us arm-chair observers have not missed any significant aspect of Chinese capabilities.

We do not want dhoti-shivering rona dona, nor unchecked over confidence. Sure Chinese are not super humans, but one expects our own strategists and decision makers are being realistic and making the correct assessments. I am confident of Indian military and current GoI - they are handling it with aplomb.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

This is a good time to start identifying about a 100 to 1000 other locations along the border/LAC through which acupuncture could be practiced against the Chinese.

Today we are hearing about some bridge building across the LAC in Ladakh. Instead of fretting over it, we should be in a position where we can do some road/bridge building on our own and get the Chinese all worked up. For this to happen, we should first identify these opportunities and draw up full plans of what kind of tactics can be employed, get the logistics chain figured out, and deploy the road building teams when necessary.

Doklam proves that we are capable of talking the Chinese language; next step is to become fluent in it and start holding longer conversations because it seems that the Chinese cannot understand anything else.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

tit for tat civil engg teams have to come up at 100 points along the border. release the news of such LAC violations by all means but only paired with one of our own to balance it out. build whatever is needed - hut, toilet, dhaba, tea shop, dosa shop , bridge, flyover, metro rail, TASMAC outlet.

GOI wailing and mewling about it with no counter response at other points is useless and just validates it as a useful way to needle us.

airlift elite shock troops and fist armies from deep south for these x-border ops by setting up tasmac outlets across the LAC. once our lungi clad hordes swarm across the LAC, the border will not be aksai hind but near Urumqi.

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

TKiran wrote:
SSridhar wrote:

Since the 50s, China has considered India as an arch enemy and has been condescending about us.

China is confident that it can handle the USA and Japan once India is taken care of.
SS sir, I think the Han in their over enthusiasm to establish their superiority over other yellow races never considered India as their rival. They were over obsessed with Japanese, still they consider Japanese as their rival though they were able to subjugate them with their economy. They still think of indians as Somalis who need bread. That is the reason for their hubris and condescension. Otherwise how can you explain their condescension towards India.
You are absolutely right about the Chinese hubris because the Japanese, Koreans and the Vietnamese are considered by the Chinese as Sinic stock. We have been 'faraway barbarians' who needed to be subjugated. The Tibet and the Himalayan & Kun Lun ranges posed a formidable challenge and so it was never attempted. Zheng He came in through teh seas in the 15th century but that was not enough. However, the 'condescension' & 'arch enemy' status are not mutually exclusive. The reasons are simple. China's fear of India is on three counts: one, India is as big as China; no other country rivals China like that; therefore, there is potential for India to become another China, an advantage that no other country possesses. Two, India also is an ancient civilization and like China possesses ancient wisdom too. Three, China always feels that India gets the ears of other nations and not China, meaning thereby that other countries, especially powerful ones, sympathize with Indian position more.
There was no "string of pearls" strategy also, it was their natural tendency of creepy behaviour for which some learned analysts gave a name "string of pearls" in order to explain the threat of Han China, but when I asked some Han who are interested in strategic affairs, they never had India as a threat. Whatever little apprehension they had about India was that India could reach Lhasa much easier than the Han PLA, so they wanted to take Tawang desperately and they still want Tawang. But as far as the memory that India could be a formidable foe was erased in 1962.
I don't have any access to Chinese strategic thinkers and therefore my analysis is uninfluenced by them. But, I believe that China is aware that 1962 is no finality and no guarantee too that it could be repeated. In fact, even in 1962 India did not fare badly, the gaps have largely been plugged by India since then, and India has made some strides in many areas too. China has been badly mauled by the Vietnamese and the Russians too. Chinese condescension has always indicated that they did not take India as a threat. I have posted about that here too. As for 'string of pearls' or 'pearls before swine' or whatever, whether the RAND analyst's nomenclature is true or not, the fact remains that India is surrounded and Indian military planners have to take that into account. How does it matter with a phrase? The phrase helps to convey the situation very succinctly, that's all. Besides, the Chinese are masters at masking their intentions through pious platitudes and innocuous intentions. One believes their statements at one's own risk.
Also you said they will take care of Japan and USA after India is subjugated. Here also I have a different opinion. After 2008, the have concluded that they have subjugated Japan and the remaining foe is only one, ie USA. They never considered India as any power more than Philippines at all.
From what I see and hear, I do not come to the conclusion that they feel they have subjugated Japan. They are expending considerable energy over Japan even now especially as Japan sheds its pacifist constitution and returns to military buildup and modernization. I do not feel that any party that replaces Shinzo Abe's Liberal Democratic Party such as Democratic Party or Komeito (which is already part of Abe's coalition) would reverse that decision.
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

chetak wrote:
eklavya wrote:Chetak, the line of command is also dynamic. If the tiger cannot issue command, the next in line takes over. I think this is wrong thread to discuss this issue.
constitutionally, the authority is wrested in the cabinet only.

There is no waiting in line PM or deputy PM or whatever recognised.

Administratively speaking, modi will leave clear instructions as to who will perform the duties of the PM in his absence when he travels abroad.

Routine papers need to be signed and whatnot and the business of the govt will not wait.
i think we should stop this conversation here.. total distraction...!!
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

UlanBatori wrote:IMO, India should draw the straight line from north-east corner of Sikkim to northwest corner of Bhutan (per Bhutanese claim) and declare everything south of that a no-entry zone. Cut the roads, block reinforcements.
Also cut the chicken head in BD. Take territory from 25.xx, 89.xx to 25.xx, 88.98.
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

Gagan wrote:They are trying to extend that railway line to Nepal
if shots are fired and fighting starts.. that track should be destroyed... so they dump any plans to extend that into Nepal...

Does that make sense? any thoughts?
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Post by Ravi Karumanchiri »

SwamyG wrote: <snip>

We do not want dhoti-shivering rona dona, nor unchecked over confidence. Sure Chinese are not super humans, but one expects our own strategists and decision makers are being realistic and making the correct assessments. I am confident of Indian military and current GoI - they are handling it with aplomb.
^^^Of course, I agree completely +1000%, however I must counsel.....

The stakes are very, very high. Xi has been set-up for embarrassment, in almost a 1962 redux (CPC congress pending or under way). Sadly, it seems this can be expected. It's a disgrace upon them, and it must be spoken of in these terms. But I want to be very clear on one point for openers: The racism is beneath the dignity of the Republic of India and I think it does a disservice to BRF for any member to engage in racism in any way or shade. It's not just that it's disgraceful in and of itself, but also strategically and tactically counter-productive. TO WIT: The "They" and the "Them" I'm referring to isn't "The Chinese", because hardly any of them had any say in it whatsoever, and this FACT should be the cornerstone of India's counter-narrative.

The "They" and the "Them" that needs to be very, VERY CLEARLY STATED is "The Communist Party of China". Moving forward from now until kaput, the central goal should be dividing the people of China, at least sufficiently to cleave them away or rather out-from-under the Communist Party of China. In this endeavour, Indians and certainly Rakshaks are best served by leaving the racist remarks to Prince Phillip. They disgrace him. So don't partake in such a disgrace yourself, because it's disgraceful. (Just the other day, I noticed the venerable shiv himself mispronounce the word "avalanche", which of course is nothing to deride him over. By the same token: Making fun of how people talk owing to their foreign accent is not only stupid and amoral, but full-on foolhardy, if for no other reason than that "You must never hate your enemy, for it clouds your judgement".

INSTEAD: The provocative road building of the Communist Party of China has pitted their friendly Asian neighbours against those who had publicly proclaimed their friendship. What a disgrace! What a loss of face! Internationally!

Now: "Lose" or "Win" and China is disgraced! There is no upside for them in this. For the next 100 years, many people -- not just Indians -- will adamantly avoid purchasing any Chinese-made stuff, over this stupid and entirely avoidable animosity.

It must be proven to all observers that The Communist Party of China is Bad for Business!

Understand: The racism and racist lingo is totally uncalled-for and entirely counter-productive, as it provides a just reason for "The Chinese" to oppose Indians. Rather, in this situation, Indians should literally "speak softly" even while beating them mercilessly with many very big sticks. When Chinese families learn that their sons and daughters have been killed or wounded while fighting against India; it would be best if they had the impression that India regretted their deaths more than the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, for this is "The head of the Dragon". Recognize: The thing, the entity that is most feared by this very same Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CCCPC), is the people of China themselves. This weak point is where the CCCPC is most vulnerable, and it must be exploited (whether or not any actual fighting ensues from this point forward).

From what I gather, PLA soldiers and probably likewise the PLAAF and PLAN, they all vow allegiance to this CCCPC above any constitution or bill of rights or even the land or the people of China. Rather, this Army, this Air Force and this Navy are sworn to defend the CCCPC above all else, and to ensure they fulfill this duty, they are subjected to something like 20%+ of their training time being "indoctrination" and "ideological training" (which I'd be surprised if the IA or IAF or IN spent even 1% of their time on, because Indians don't need to waste their time on such silly things, since they know very well why they train and why they serve and sometimes even what they need to fight and die for. The whole nation knows this.

As for what should be expected at Dokalam, I suspect we'll see the early use of an Internationally banned weapon, the ZM-87, because they will expect India not to respond in kinetic fashion to a directed energy weapon (especially if its use is not discovered until after someone undergoes an eye exam, days later, which would reveal streaked burns across the victim's retina). In anticipation of this, I would hope that front line personnel should have laser-defeating goggles, and devices to detect the power and azimuth of laser pulses. If a laser pulse above a certain power level should hit an Indian position, I would expect that the IA would respond with well-directed 155mm arty for a starty.(!)

Also, within the first hour, I would also expect India to target the rocky slopes overhanging roadways all over that side of the border -- I mean deep into their rear positions -- effectively freezing their ground logistics in their starting positions. Then, it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel, as the Americans say. (Exactly how much rock can a Brahmos knock loose from a mountain ledge? How many PLA vehicles can be trapped between two rock slides?)
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

At this juncture, I think it's best I make some observations that are ringing very loud in my mind right now (in no particular order). If some or all of this has already been mentioned in this thread, then please take it as my agreeing with them (even if I haven't read this whole thread as closely as I will going forward).

Supposedly, gun powder itself was invented in China; however they didn't initially use it to propel projectiles and such. Rather, they used it to make a dazzling array of fireworks and fire crackers, because back in their day, two opposing Chinese armies would face each other on opposing hilltops, from which they would launch into impressive and ominous displays, intended to scare the other side into backing-down. Very often, this meant that Chinese armies would face-off, let-off a bunch of fireworks, and then go home without anything more than sabre-rattling.

In light of this past, which still today shapes "Chinese military thinking" (such that it is); both the CCCPC and the PLA (and air and naval wings), and probably also the average Chinese citizen who only knows what they have been told to know (and nothing more!) -- they look and see the comparative economic disparity that presently exists between China and India and they cannot compute or comprehend why is India taking the stand she is alongside Bhutan, who can offer India nothing in the way of safety. They simply don't understand India at all.

It would be better if India understood China better than China understands India -- and again for this reason among others, the racist lingo should stop IMO. (Of course, I know, not everyone posting in the strategic forum is a strategic thinker; but I do hope for a better day.) Kindly take note of what the average Bhutanese person looks like and sounds like; and consider how they might view anti-Chinese racism in these threads. Indians should hold warm feelings in their hearts for Chinese people, even while taking the opportunity to crush the little green men scampering around their rocks, or Bhutan's rocks. The killing should be cold-blooded like that. Dispassionate. Clinical. Save all the vitriol for the CCCPC and the Chauvinistic Generals of the PLA. Attempting to counter the Chauvinism emanating from China with some Racism from India is utterly stupid, and I hope it stops.

As for the escalation ladder in a shooting war: I hope India outpaces China, because I expect the CCCPC and the PLA to conceal their casualties as much as possible, for as long as possible. Regrettably, this will probably get a lot of Chinese people killed for no good reason. Many Indians may also die, but it certainly won't be for nothing -- not like it is for the Chinese. Something like this could easily topple the CCCPC and unravel everything the Generals rely upon; and of course, this must be not only a 'war aim' of India, but also a policy position moving forward. Democracy in China should be an objective of India. Public diplomacy could play a decisive role.

CONSIDER: The reason why the CCCPC carefully controls the media narrative in China, going so far as to erect 'The Great Firewall of China' to keep the unfiltered truth away from their citizens -- is because they fear their own citizenry! THEREFORE Penetrating this 'Great Firewall' and gaining a foothold in the political discourse of China, to counteract this CCCPC-politicized Chauvanistic anti-India policy -- this is essential, whether or not there is any shooting at Dokalam.

Frankly, I think whoever made that decision to go up on that plateau with a bulldozer, did India and Bhutan a HUGE favour; because it totally revealed their intentions (to cut the chicken's neck). Consider this an existential threat to India, because if they succeed, the India that exists today will not exist after that. So therefore: It behooves the GoI and every Bharat Rakshak, to directly counter and oppose the Communist Party of China, so that the people of China can be free and live in peace with all peoples of the earth.

When a Chinese tourist flies to a European destination for their vacation; let them see in the airport itself, big billboards advertising the sincere wish of Indians to live in peace next to their Chinese neighbours; except when forced to fight by the irresponsible CCCPC and the Chauvinist and *Racist* Generals of the PLA. Solemnly regret having to kill invaders sent into India (or Bhutan); and question why is Pakistan the terrorist state propped-up by the CCCPC?

When a Chinese student attends a Western university; be sure they encounter the same message. Ads in student newspapers are cheap, and a poster campaign would probably be welcome if it can be seen to decrease the potential for war/hostilities. Very clearly spell-out who is causing the problem (the CCCPC) and what that problem is (war, death and destruction, if not loss of market share and potentially even significant damage to China's industrial base).

Indeed, spell-out the narrative (TBD), and advertise it in their own language (Cantonese and Mandarin, as appropriate), wherever Chinese people will encounter that message that the CCCPC cannot censor. For that matter: Why not unfurl huge banners proclaiming same, and make sure they're visible along the LoC? Why not broadcast that message into China on AM and FM frequencies? (Who needs a shooting war to upset the Communist's apple cart?)
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Ravi, I agree to lot of things you highlight in your post. I might be biased in the sense that Chinese civilization was the only civilization that came to India in search of knowledge, wisdom and religion. Everyone knew we had the riches, and came to plunder. Everyone knew we had control over the trade routes, they came to compete. Competing is a natural extension of modern human life.

My brief interaction with American Chinese leads me to believe that Chinese are as messy as Indians in several areas of life. If we can widen the cracks between the people and the Communist Party then we should do so. Alas, they are digitally quarantined lot.

In the long term, India needs to build its soft power to counter China.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

what is all this complex social engineering and chankianess going to achieve. let the chinese society live as they wish and get the govt they want. sounds like a long set of excuses of why not use the size12 boot at the right place.

we should focus on taking away parts of tibet permanently from under their boots and making it impossible to sustain their policy of nibbling on the front.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

BRF members: Are we showing some Prithviraj complex even before the war has commenced? are we showing a lack of killer instincts at this stage when nothing has happened? Let us be fair, even if this makes us lose, otherwise log kya kahenge? Let us win first before we can be magnanimous to our enemies. This is not a 5 day kirkit match, if we loose the war, much will be lost to us as a nation.
Gautam
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

I feel obliged to point-out another couple of notable facts from history, because I think they pertain to the geopolitical situation evolving; but I think the best way to do that is slightly roundabout. Begging your forbearance.....

More than a few times, over the years, I've found the opportunity to ask Americans (fyi, I'm Canadian); often groups of Americans sitting around a breakfast table or lunch or dinner table -- I'll ask them "Who won world war two?". Always I get the same answer. Americans will always say "We did". Immediately I'll ask them in a surprised tone "Really? How much territory did the United States gain control over? How much treasure did the United States seize?" Invariably, the gathered Americans will look stunned for a moment, before I explain that this is how war is gauged, despite the fact that movies and television will reliably depict a narrative of victory, despite the fact that land was not won, or was even lost -- including in spite of the fact that American tax dollars funded the reconstruction of a destroyed Japan and Germany, rather than seeing their treasure shipped to the USA.

TO WIT: By any measure that counts, WWII was not won by the United States and the 'Western Alliance'. Rather, the second world war was "won" by the Soviets (while arguably and simultaneously, the Russian people lost that war, suffering more deaths than all other parties to WWII *combined*). Yet, of course, the USSR did expand over a large landmass, and resources from that landmass flowed "to the center" as it were..... By contrast the USA remained the same size, and spent money to rebuild defeated foes and stand them up against Russia during the duration of "The Cold War".

NOW CONSIDER: A full reading of history, read a hundred years from now; will record that while Russia lost the most during, and gained the most after WWII, for a short while it seemed "The West" had "won" the "Cold War", until Russia managed to pick a US President, who sent the USA into a downward and dangerous trajectory, for lacking any moral compass whatsoever. ADDED LATER: If one has to pick a geopolitical winner in the 20th and so-far in the 21st centuries, you'd have to pick Russia over the USA, who seem to lack competence, as well as morals.

I mention this because with all this broo-ha-ha between India and China, Russia sees many problems because Russia had high hopes for BRICS and SCO and such, and this agita might possibly push India further into the camp of the Americans, especially in terms of military equipment purchases. In this aspect, I would like all Rakshaks to keep in mind.....

China wouldn't be what it is today, if it hadn't been for Henry Kissinger thinking-it-up and having Nixon call Khan in Pakistan to "Open the Door" to China. Back then, it was another instance of the United States attempting to 'stand-up' another 'ally against Russia', and the Americans were all too happy to appease the Pakistanis by helping them counter India, seen as in Russia's camp. This was the initial opening of American investments in China, which brought us the off-shoring of North American manufacturing to China and all that this 'Globalization' has brought. Now we have this current mess.

I mention this, because I think that if and when a choice must be made between America and Russia, India's safe bet, India's correct bet, is always going to be with Russia, not with the United States. Personally, I think this is a very sad state of affairs, and I wish it weren't so, but it is. Assessing the lessons of history will reveal many times that Americans (and Brits) have worked with great and devious cunning to undercut or otherwise hurt Indian interests. Whatever happens going forth, friendship and commerce, especially in the military domain should be maintained and strengthened with Russia and India.

As for killing one's enemies, of course I'm all for that -- I just don't think this is best done with racist lingo by Rakshaks. Chose your words for effect and aim them directly at the correct and specific enemy. By definition, these words cannot be indiscriminate racially-tinged and they should be focused sharply on the CCCPC and the Chauvinist Generals of the PLA. Words like these will not only rob the correct enemy of any moral high ground and perhaps even will to fight; they will sow dissension in PLA ranks and discord among mainlanders who too will know this is true (the Indian narrative).

Get rid of the CCCPC and India will no longer have problems on the border with China. Tibet or whatever else will either become immensely more possible or no longer necessary (PRC will break-up without any Indian troops on Chinese soil). The problem with Pakistan will dissolve immediately thereafter, because once China loses interest in Pakistan, the USA will lose any reason to pay attention there either. It'll be used condom time for the TSP.

RECOGNIZE: I'm not suggesting India or Rakshaks deescalate anything except for any impulse toward racism. As for the escalation ladder, I think the IA, the IAF and IN should outpace China on the analysis that a short war will cost fewer lives than a longer war. This necessitates combatants avoiding the use of heavier missiles, for fear they may be mistaken as nuclear when they are only conventional; thus inviting a nuclear strike on the next rung up on the escalation ladder.

BTW: Is GPS being jammed/scrambled in the area? What SATNAV systems do PLA PGMs rely upon?
vijaykarthik
BRFite

Post by vijaykarthik »

pankajs wrote: Soon we will be boycotting other meeting and others will start boycotting India. Most of the breakthrough diplomacy is often conducted face to face. Sometimes matters are too sensitive to be conducted via diplomatic messages, over secure phone or even though special reps. That is the reason why leaders meet otherwise diplomacy would have been conducted by ambassadors solely.
Just my 2 paisa: this is pretty much what I thought earlier - however, nowadays I have a more nuanced belief: leaders rarely meet unless the stage has been set for an important announcement. Particularly world powers. (Im speaking more from a bilateral perspective than a regional / multi lateral conference like BRICS).

Most times the leaders leave it to the bureaucrats / point personnel to ensure that the deals are already taken care of and its the signing thats done during these major leaders meeting. IOW, if big leaders meet, the diplomacy, language and most things are already settled.
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

On a more practical note......

Regardless of what happens next at Dokalam; I've read recently, that the GoI has 12 'Trade Investigations' to determine if state-owned Chinese enterprises are 'dumping' their wares into the Indian market (selling them below cost in an attempt to starve to death Indian manufacturing). Good idea, but also something entirely in the GoI's hands, and working at a certain pace, which must be finally adjudicated at the WTO perhaps years from now. (Did I get all that right?)

This got me thinking that this was a rather circuitous route, and entirely too slow and iffy to have the desired effect. The next thing that occurred to me was several stories that ran across the Canadian press some years ago. The stories I'm sure you've heard, are similar to the incidents of counterfeit baby formula and poison pet food and such. It was all related to numerous instances of products made in China being contaminated with absolutely toxic levels of lead, mercury, chromium, cadmium and antimony. These heavy metals are all known to impair intellectual development in children and mental functioning in adults. They are toxic, and they are found in a wide variety of made-in-China metal and plastic and painted or dyed items of various descriptions.

Can not the local health department, test samples and ban from sale, items that are found to be toxic and injurious to health? How about chemistry classes at local colleges? Why don't they undertake this testing, properly supervised by the authorities (providing for chain of custody and documentation of the exercise), then make a huge public hew and cry about Chinese made products containing toxic chemicals (of whatever description).

This should be a story heard around the world, because I often thought, over the years, that there must be some kind of covert chemical warfare undertaken by China to contaminate so many items with such high levels of such dangerous heavy metals. (The concentrations were truly shocking, and I somehow doubt that many items today are any better than they were when I heard this here in Canada, years ago.) NB: By now, they've probably bought-off enough newspaper editors, that such news doesn't make it to print. My guess is, if anyone looks for heavy metals in Chinese made products, they'll find them. Unsafe levels of all kinds of chemicals can probably be found, if only one looks.

Undertaking such a 'Trade War' would be the right thing to do, not only for India and for China, but for the whole planet and consumers worldwide.

(By the same token, Indian manufacturers and agriproducts producers of every description must up their game to the best in world category of quality excellence, to compete against cheap (and often toxic) products from China.)
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

I am sure it cannot be done, but imagine a few sorties flying into Tibet and dropping leaf pamphlets against the Chinese power-men, and quietly return home. Imagine the khujli in the nether regions of the dragon.
DrRatnadip
BRFite

Post by DrRatnadip »

http://m.economictimes.com/news/defence ... 049674.cms

Dokalam standoff: Indian Army and Chinese PLA meet that never happened

NEW DELHI: A crucial meeting between the Indian Army and Chinese PLA in Nathu La, which was scheduled to take place on Friday to defuse the Dokalam standoff, didn’t happen. A senior government official said: “The arrangements were made for the meeting from our side, but the Chinese didn’t show up. They ( China) were undecided on attending it.”

ET had earlier reported that a high-level meeting between the Major General-level officers of the Indian Army and PLA was scheduled to take place in Sikkim on Friday. Other media reports claimed that it took place and the discussions were inconclusive. However, what has come to light is that the meeting never happened. With this meeting, India was aiming to ensure peace along the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
[ Chinese looking clueless about their next move..]
vijaykarthik
BRFite

Post by vijaykarthik »

Mort Walker wrote:From what I understand the Chinese will not protect NK but will stand in the way of USN and USAF launching an offensive on NK. They want the US to take the first shot against Chinese forces. The US does not want to shoot at Chinese forces either, but if the NK thing goes out of hand and shooting with China happens, then what will happen in the Himalayas? At that point India should take an offensive to liberate Lhasa.
China has clearly mentioned that if US attacks NK, they will go in to "s(h)ave" NK. With caveats:

if NK attacks Guam / US first and US goes there with a ton of hot bricks and decapitates the regime / does anything it wishes, China will do nothing. However, if the US does the strikes unilaterally, avuncular Xi will go in and save his nephew KJU.

China is also mortified by a unified Korea in place there. Thats something China will never accept.

It should be fun if DT and NM actually decided to help each other and they can cut the Chinese melon / lemon at their own pace and time.

PS: How is Naranja Bandar? DT?
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

NEW DELHI: A crucial meeting between the Indian Army and Chinese PLA in Nathu La, which was scheduled to take place on Friday to defuse the Dokalam standoff, didn’t happen. A senior government official said: “The arrangements were made for the meeting from our side, but the Chinese didn’t show up. They ( China) were undecided on attending it.”
Not even a bullet has been fired, but no invitation for PLA day nor showing up for the meet.

Compare this with our annual sweet sharing ,joint photos at border with Pakis, singing Paki anethem and all other nonsense.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

vijaykarthik wrote:
pankajs wrote: Soon we will be boycotting other meeting and others will start boycotting India. Most of the breakthrough diplomacy is often conducted face to face. Sometimes matters are too sensitive to be conducted via diplomatic messages, over secure phone or even though special reps. That is the reason why leaders meet otherwise diplomacy would have been conducted by ambassadors solely.
Just my 2 paisa: this is pretty much what I thought earlier - however, nowadays I have a more nuanced belief: leaders rarely meet unless the stage has been set for an important announcement. Particularly world powers. (Im speaking more from a bilateral perspective than a regional / multi lateral conference like BRICS).

Most times the leaders leave it to the bureaucrats / point personnel to ensure that the deals are already taken care of and its the signing thats done during these major leaders meeting. IOW, if big leaders meet, the diplomacy, language and most things are already settled.
It still holds true. While most details are finalized in the run up to an important meeting often sticking points are left to the leaders. IIRC, the nuke deal between India and US too had its last minute jitters that were resolved between the head of states. There are many such examples.

In fact, if you read the commentary of negotiations often you will find reference to deadlock that were finally broken with the intervention of the head of states. Not always but often time in face to face settings especially if the subject matter falls outside/beyond the normal political norms of the countries concerned.
vijaykarthik
BRFite

Post by vijaykarthik »

UlanBatori wrote:Dhoti-Shiver (DS-1313):

Doklam is a diversion. The real mischief is elsewhere (if I know where I would post it). Suggestions: South of Andaman/ Nicobar. Lakshadweep. Maladweep. North Myanmar border with India.
Seychelles? Mauritius? South Nicobar is most likely: equal access issues from mainland India and from South Myanmar where lizard has strength. Attack completely directed at Indian NAVY, not IAF or IA. Objective: Debilitate capability to hit Gwadar or block Malacca Straits - of help Taiwan or Vietnam.
Now I am not sure if there are conventions as to how stoop countries can go to when they plan to do war (of course we have Geneva conventions but they don't talk about the specifics)

If, hypothetically, Chinese attack A&N, I would say that amounts to a full war and we will have the support of any other country with us. The Chinese will not just end up looking stupid but will eventually get slaughtered and XI will be deposed and disposed eventually ala Saddam Hussein.

In all fairness, if the Chinese escalate, I would imagine in the mountainous terrain initially. If they actually escalated 3K kms beyond, thats madness and they will have hell to pay for.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Singha wrote:what is all this complex social engineering and chankianess going to achieve. let the chinese society live as they wish and get the govt they want. sounds like a long set of excuses of why not use the size12 boot at the right place.

we should focus on taking away parts of tibet permanently from under their boots and making it impossible to sustain their policy of nibbling on the front.
+100

It's more of the tired old 'India should sit by and take any terrorist hits from TSP to strengthen the pro-peace constituency in TSP and counter the extremists' bullshit, in a slightly more nuanced form.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Chinese "undecided".V.Good sign.It means that they're unsure of themselves.The NoKo situ is fast developing where "Don Carry-on-alone",aka the Trump,is bolwin' as hard as he can on his instrument letting the world know that he'll use his other "instrument: with devastating effect if Dear Young Leader Kim Jong Un doesn't roll over and say "Uncle (Sam)".

What the devious,barbarians of Beijing will however do,is to outsource chaos for India through ever willing rent-boy Pak. The spurt in terror activity in J&K indicates a yellow foster-father.Either way,we too should take the opportunity of bashing the ungodly on the Paki side with as much force as poss. making use of the opportunity presenting itself.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

shiv wrote:
vasu raya wrote:There is the incident of a Russian Special forces operative calling a airstrike on himself when surrounded by ISIS militants, it was suicide but ensured higher enemy casualties. That incident raised the Russian forces image, which is what the Chinese might copy for a small skirmish and claim victory.
Similar story of Indian spl forces in Sri Lanka. Story not well known.
http://www.amazon.in/Mission-Overseas-D ... gh+mission
Similar heroism in Kargil too - by Col. Lalit Rai (Gorkha Rifles).
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

^^
Not belittling the heroism of the people concerned but notice one thing missing in each of the 3 cases above?

When we make the case for a scenario why do we fail to account for the opposing sides capability, terrain and such factors that will play a central role?
vijaykarthik
BRFite

Post by vijaykarthik »

Singha wrote:>>my theory is those were not real PLA soldiers. They were ordinary people picked up probably from prisons or other such places to be sent on UN missions simply to fulfill China's obligations to UN.

why are you so eager to give them a free pass without any proof of them being indentured criminals sent to serve? atleast do some r&d on which units of PLA or military police are sent for UN missions. generally no country sends 2nd string units to UN missions, esp when they are on the 'peaceful rise' and 'next superpawa' train.

none are extrapolating once incident into a whole army and this particular incident is probably a command failure and lack of initiative by the smaller officers. would be interesting to know how much freedom the JCOs, Lts and Majors are given in PLA - these are the men who win wars.
Looking at the way Cheen typically does stuff and all the interactions I have had with normal civvy Cheen, this does look like a very top/down culture.

So, it won't be the team of team culture recommended by McChrystal / SEAL or the UK SAS et al. It will be more like the earlier Spanish / colonial era : I want this done and every one scurrying to get the thing fixed without knowing the end goal in mind. I think the Indian mid level defense leadership will b tasked differently.
Jits
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Jits »

Trade war looming between India-China: Chinese state media

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... aign=cppst

A trade war seems to be looming between India and China after New Delhi imposed anti-dumping duties on 93 Chinese products amidst a military standoff in Doklam area, two state media reports here said today.

An article in The Global Times, part of the ruling Communist Party's publication group, urged Chinese firms to "reconsider the risks" of investing in India and warned New Delhi to be "prepared for the possible consequences for its ill-considered action."

The article said that China "could easily retaliate" with restrictions on Indian products, but added that it "doesn't make much economic sense" for the country. :)

It cited figures from the Indian embassy in China to show that Indian exports fell by 12.3 per cent year-on-year to USD 11.75 billion while India's imports from China rose by 2 per cent to USD 59 billion, resulting in a trade deficit of USD 47 billion.

According to the Indian Commerce Ministry, the trade deficit with China last year mounted to over USD 52 billion when the bilateral trade stood at USD 70 billion.

"A trade war between China and India seems to be looming after the latter moved last Wednesday to impose anti-dumping duties on 93 products from China," the report said. [A much needed and appreciated step by India]

"If India really starts a trade war with China, of course China's economic interests will be hurt, but there will also be consequences for India," it said.

The report on trade comes as India and China have been locked in a tense military standoff in Doklam in the Sikkim sector.

India has protested the construction of a road by the Chinese military in the area claimed by its ally Bhutan, fearing it would allow Beijing to cut off India's access to its northeastern states.

The Global Times report warned that "given the tense bilateral trade ties, China may consider temporarily suspending investment or economic cooperation projects in India to ensure the security of these investments."

Another article in China Daily said boycotting Chinese goods would harm India.

Referring to the calls of boycott of Chinese products, it said the ongoing standoff in Doklam seems to have spilled over into bilateral exchanges.

"Suffice to say, calling for the boycotting of Chinese products and those related to Chinese investors is not just a fool's errand but also risks backfiring," it said.

"It is the Indian economy that will suffer because of the boycott," it said. [Again a bluster by Gobar Crimes]

Any attempt to keep Chinese cellphone companies at bay or shut down Chinese-invested factories will hurt the Indian economy and cost Indian jobs, it said.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Singha wrote:what is all this complex social engineering and chankianess going to achieve. let the chinese society live as they wish and get the govt they want. sounds like a long set of excuses of why not use the size12 boot at the right place.

Where did anyone suggest not liberating Tibet or not fighting? Who said India should not give China bloody nose if the war happens? Huh?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

g.sarkar wrote:BRF members: Are we showing some Prithviraj complex even before the war has commenced?
Comprehension problems? Please let us not display our killing instincts sitting in our favorite chairs and sofas, in a land far far away. Wars are not fought and won with blind emotions. I am sure our military professionals have enough killer instincts, fire power and acumen to teach Chinese professionals the necessary lesson. A few of sitting and opining on the internet does not decide what India government or military is going to do. Save your analogies and frothing.
Last edited by SwamyG on 14 Aug 2017 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Kept forgetting to post this .. so here it is now. Quite good.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... n-4794147/
People say in Doklam, India is better placed. Why do we think Chinese could only act here? says Shyam Saran
Sushant Singh: You said the Chinese have been coming into Doklam from 1983. They also destroyed our bunkers in 2007 and 2008. What red line was crossed this time?

The strategy the Chinese have followed in the past is to keep pushing but not quite cross the threshold that could invite a significant pushback. If there is an encounter, you have an exchange of words and you disengage. So there is always a dilemma: when do I react? In this case, both for Bhutan as well as for India, that point came with the making of a highway, permanent infrastructure, which would significantly enhance Chinese capability in the region. So the reaction is because of that sense: that if we do not take a stand now, it will be difficult to reverse what could have become a permanent kind of threat.

Sushant Singh: How would a military conflict between India and China play out?

Military conflicts are always hard to predict. People have been saying that should something happen in Doklam itself, India is better placed because it dominates the heights. But why do we think the Chinese could only act here? They could act somewhere else. There is no doubt that the Chinese have vastly improved infrastructure on their side. The ability to rapidly move forces to the Line of Actual Control is certainly better than what it was, say, 10 years ago. This is not to say the infrastructure on the Indian side has not improved, but the other side has done better… We have to play this in a manner so that the risks are minimised as far as possible and yet, it would not be a good development if, having confronted them, we have to step back.

Sushant Singh: What solutions would ensure there would be no military conflict and yet, India won’t lose face?

There should be mutual disengagement. After all, Indian presence in the area was triggered by Chinese action, which changed the status quo. There was an agreement with Bhutan, in 1998, that there should be no change in the status quo until the border agreement has been concluded. So if you want to defuse the situation, return to status quo… Given the kind of situation we are faced with, we should be ready for not-so-pleasant eventualities as well.

Shubhajit Roy: Is there a risk of losing Bhutan? [Typical "the dlagon is coming" question]

Why should there be such a risk? It is an issue that concerns Bhutan as well because the country’s communication lines are also through the same Siliguri corridor. This is a move that has been made by China very cynically, thinking they can embarrass Bhutan into accepting the change in status of the area. After all, China and Bhutan have had 24 rounds of negotiations over the border and this area is one of the regions under dispute. Why are you now saying ‘There is no dispute, this is Chinese territory’… Perhaps more strangely, the Chinese side says they had informed the Indian side that they were going to undertake this activity… Why would you inform the Indian side if you were so sure that this territory belonged to you?

Coomi Kapoor: Isn’t it true that a small country like Bhutan would like to have diplomatic ties with China, and it is India which is stopping it?

That is not the reality. The people in Bhutan are ethnically close to those in Tibet. An open kind of relationship with China would mean, in practice, an open kind of relationship with Tibet on the other side. Second, don’t forget that the kind of policy that Bhutan has followed over the last several years has been to incrementally expand its engagement with the rest of the world. India has not stood in its way. When Bhutan has felt ready to, for example, become a member of the United Nations, India sponsored their membership. Or when they wanted to have a United Nations office in Bhutan, we had no problems. So, it is really for Bhutan to decide what its comfort level is, in terms of expanding its own engagement with the rest of the world… it is not that India is going to prevent you. In any case, there is not much India can do to prevent them. The only thing which the Indian side would like to be assured of is that there should be no surprises in terms of the move that Bhutan makes. That is the only requirement.

Coomi Kapoor: Bhutan is a small monarchy. It has seen the example of the Nepalese monarchy. So it probably wouldn’t like to alienate China. [Strange question. Did the Chinese have a hand in the Nepal incident?]

There is no comparison between the monarchy in Bhutan and in Nepal. The monarchy in Bhutan has a very different kind of standing amongst the people for the kind of contribution it has made to the development of Bhutan. To the extent that it has become the richest country in South Asia, through very close cooperation with India, particularly on hydro-power. If you take the Nepal example, it is exactly the opposite… The Bhutan example is actually what can be done if, what you call a small country, is ready to hitch itself to a dynamic economy and profit from it. Now, as has been said, yes there are people (in Bhutan) who would say, ‘We should open ourselves to having similar kind of benefits from our relationship with China’. Let that debate take its course in Bhutan. I don’t think we should insert ourselves into it.

Raj Kamal Jha: Before Doklam, we have seen tension over the Jaish blacklist issue and NSG membership… Then there is the CPEC (China-Pakistan Economic Corridor). Do all these complicate Doklam? Is there a substantive difference in the way this government looks at Beijing as compared to the UPA?

Doklam, as you rightly are suggesting, is not an isolated event. So what is that larger context? I take you back to 2005, the announcement of the strategic and cooperative partnership between India and China. At that time, the Sikkim issue was finally resolved, with the Chinese giving us a map showing Sikkim to be a part of India… India and China are the two most important emerging countries. They have certain common interests, in trying to adjust the global regimes, adjust the global order, so that it is more aligned to our interests… Now, if we work together along with some other emerging countries, maybe we can bring about a certain change in this architecture. Second, there are many new domains which are emerging, climate change being one of them. Or, for example, cyber security. These are all new areas which are essentially anarchic. So if we want to make certain that those emerging regimes are conducive to our interests, if we work together, it is more likely that we will be able to get an order conducive to our interests. So, what were the terms in which this was mentioned? Partly rhetoric but a certain substance to it. Number 1, India is not a threat to China; China is not a threat to India. India emerging is an opportunity for China, and China is an opportunity for India. There is enough space for India and China growing together; enough space for India and China in the world.

If you recall, we had the guiding principles, political parameters for resolving the border issue also agreed upon at that time. And two very key provisions of that were actually, from our point of view, very major gains. One was that settled populations will not be disturbed in any settlement. Second, prominent geographical features have to be taken into account in settling the border issue. That is the watershed principle that we have been insisting upon. That was a certain high point of our relationship, because of a sense in China that India and China actually working together can make a difference…

Then you come now, 10 years later. What has changed is that kind of sense of India and China… Those days don’t forget that people were looking at India as the next China. India was growing at the rate of 8-9 per cent per annum. So there was a sense that this was going to be the next power. Not superpower but at least the next big power. Today, that has changed. What is the kind of response we get from the Chinese when we talk about our differences? They say, ‘You should accept the fact that we are five times your size. Our GDP is five times that of India… Therefore we don’t need to be as sensitive to your concerns as we were 10 years ago’. You saw that already in… climate change. In 2009, when I was dealing with climate change, the formal deal was concluded amongst whom? (Barack) Obama sitting on one side, India, China, Brazil, South Africa sitting on the other side. That is how the Copenhagen accord was negotiated. China could not have done it alone. You fast forward to the eve of the Paris agreement. Who makes the deal? It is China and the United States making the deal… And though you are opposed to many elements of the deal, you can’t do anything about it. Exactly the same thing with the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG). In 2008, when I was negotiating, when Shankar Menon was negotiating, at that time, China was opposed. Yet they never took a public stand against India…

So the change which has taken place is, ‘Why do we need to be careful about Indian sensibilities?’… If you look at what has been happening over the last couple of years, despite a very bold move made by the current Prime Minister (Narendra Modi) — look at the bonhomie when Xi Jinping came to Gujarat and the Prime Minister went to Xiang — this seems very odd. But the context has changed. And of course, what has been mentioned by you about the CPEC, the commitment to Pakistan is much higher than what it was a few years ago. Because Pakistan is not just a proxy against India, it has become a very important component of the One Belt One Road, which is a signature intitiative of the Chinese leader himself…

We have to look at the change in the relationship not so much in terms of what this government has been doing. This government has been reacting to a very changed stance on the part of China.

Raj Kamal Jha: So you are saying that key to the shift is Beijing’s view now that India is not quite what it’s made out to be, that it can bully India. So how should India react?

Don’t be bullied. As simple as that. It is another matter on where you take a stand. That is a matter of judgment. But let me also try to give you a slightly different picture, even in terms of China’s relations with South-East Asia. Most people believe that the Chinese have sewn up South-East Asia. Nobody has really been able to resist their advances in the South China Sea… And what has that strategy been? Incrementally keep on changing, what they call ‘the cabbage strategy’. One layer after another you keep opening. None of the singular moves is serious enough to attract opposition but then, cumulatively, you come to a point where it has actually changed their entire security situation dramatically. It is very hard to reverse. Then you have to go to war to try and reverse it. Now, look at two things which have happened, which are very, very important. One, Indonesia… there is no dispute as such with China. They have an island called Natuna island, which the Chinese have in fact confirmed belongs to Indonesia. Now what Indonesia has done is that the sea they have, they named it Natuna Sea… There was a huge reaction from the Chinese saying, ‘No way, this is not Natuna Sea, this is South China Sea’. Look at Singapore. The head of the Lee Kuan Yew School made a statement that we need to be pragmatic, that a small country like Singapore cannot try to shape the world around it. Essentially what he was saying was that you have to recognise that China is the big dog in the area and you have to acquiesce to that. He used a rather unfortunate phrase: ‘If your head is not big enough, don’t wear a sombrero’. There was a huge reaction in Singapore. And the foreign ministry made a statement, saying, ‘We may be a small country but if the interests of Singapore are threatened by any major power, we will resist’. So what I’m trying to say is that there is a certain pushback taking place. In that context also, what is happening at Doklam is worrying to the Chinese because it may mean that it only reinforces the kind of pushback that is taking place.

Seema Chishti: In the world view that you laid out, China perhaps sees us as not that important. Could it actually be the exact opposite? This whole US pivot to Asia and how India has steadily moved on another course, there may be more insecurities vis-a-vis India. And number two, are you happy with the way India is located vis-a-vis its neighbours? We don’t want to talk to Pakistan, we have problems with Nepal, we don’t know what will happen in Bangladesh if Sheikh Hasina goes.

With respect to your first question, let me say very categorically that the more isolated you are, the more vulnerable you will be to Chinese pressures. The more options you have, the more network of strong relationships you have with other major countries, actually helps you deal with other challenges… The constraint on China will be precisely because it sees that I have these relationships.

(On neighbours) It is not a matter of success or failure. I have said on many occasions that the the first priority of Indian foreign policy has to be the management of its neighbours. Part of the problem has been that our engagement with our neighbours has been somewhat episodic. It has not been a sustained, consistent engagement. A lot of oxygen is taken away through our relations with Pakistan. Which means that you have that much less resources, attention available for other neighbours.

The other problem with our neighbourhood — and this not only with respect to what is happening in our neighbourhood — is our inability to deliver on what we commit ourselves to. Projects that we promise in Nepal or projects that we have committed ourselves to in Myanmar or in Bangladesh, it takes an inordinate amount of time to implement. That is a governance issue, not being able to make the kind of structural changes which are absolutely essential to be able to do that. The Chinese score by being able to deliver on what they commit much more speedily. So why should it surprise that there is a certain lack of credibility in terms of our engagement with our neighbours? The third point is that there is no doubt that we have major assets in our relationship with our neighbours because of very strong cultural ties. The fact that there is a proximity means also that being the largest country, the largest economy in the region, if you really opened out to them, you could become the engine of growth for these countries. Take for example transport linkages. Supposing tomorrow you were to say I am ready to give national treatment to all our neighbours in transportation — ‘Use any port you want, any railway’. In terms of load on your transportation infrastructure, that would be minimal, but the political impact would be huge. But somehow because of local issues, security considerations come in….

Sushant Singh: When you were foreign secretary (in 2005), the Siachen issue came absolutely close to being resolved, till a few people in the CCS (Cabinet Committee on Security) spiked it. Can you recount that?

It was the basis on which we would have tried to reach an understanding with Pakistan, which was actually not new. Essentially it was that both sides would mark where they are, their current position, and the position to which they would retreat once they had decided on this retreat. And therefore you would create a zone of disengagement and that zone could then be very carefully patrolled, monitored so that neither side tried to change the status quo. In principle, we could say that yes there was an agreement… You could perhaps start with the first phase in the least-risky area, gain confidence, then go to the second phase which would be somewhat more risky areas… On the eve of the defence secretary-level talks, there was a CCS meeting to try and make this the basis on which to carry forward the negotiations. It was at that point that serious reservations were expressed by some members on if we could really trust the Pakistani side. My own view was that it was a risk worth taking. Because diplomatic opportunities are not something you can keep on the shelf and decide when you want to use them… (By) 2007 much of the positive developments taking place in India-Pakistan relations were no longer there, not because of what we did but because of the internal situation in Pakistan.

Shailaja Bajpai: In the light of President Trump, what do you think of the new world order we are seeing and particularly the potentially very big international crisis with North Korea? And secondly, can there be any Paris climate agreement without the Americans?

To answer the second question first, it was not as if in the Paris agreement very major commitments were made by any of the big economies, including the US. So in terms of what really will be the actual impact, my view is not very much. But not very much all around because the Paris agreement, in terms of the challenge we are facing, actually falls much, much short… It will certainly mean that the burden on developing countries like India will be greater.

About Trump, I think the biggest problem we are facing is the unpredictability and uncertainty that his presidency has created. It is not only that it involves a country that has global presence… you are never certain whether decision-making today in the US is something going through a certain deliberative process. So, in that context, yes, the risk of an inadvertent kind of crisis… with respect to north Korea is possible.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

To give hajjaar benefit of doubt to Chinese planners, the following could be their strategy too:

****Begin Theory****

Tie up a large Indian troops in a state of heightened arousal along multiple points in the LAC for years, without initiating any hostilities. This will serve the following objectives, all of which resemble the Paki strategy in LoC/Kashmir:

1) The necessity to commit such a large # of troops puts a burden on the Indian Economy
2) An increased level of stress among the Indian troops because we don't know where the next 500m incursion will happen. Nor will we know whether the "next incursion" will become the new war-flashpoint. A state of "impending war" will be maintained on & off.
3) Non-stop media barrage from Chinese mouthpieces, amplified by their fifth columnists in India. This will lead to Track-2 pressure, demands for concessions, stories of how jawans are needlessly dying defending a piece of land where no grass grows, how we share civilizational values with the Chinese & need to be more accommodative etc

In short, there is war coming: a 2.5-pronged attritional war, coordinated with Pakistan.

India can win 1 front attritional war.
We can hold our own against a 2.5 front hot-war.
But how about a 2.5 front attritional war?

**** End theory****

But, irrespective of whether this is the Chinese strategy, we need to account for this possibility. Playing pure-defense is a losing proposition (courtesy Prisoner's Dilemma). Unless incursion is matched by incursion & an element of irrationality/surprise is maintained by India, we will pay a very heavy economic price. On the LAC, "surgical strike" needs to be replaced by "targeted incursions"
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

I think we are in the process of a build up to that. In 10 years there will be pushing and prodding from both sides. In the interim we will be reactive.

Also expect our surveillance setup to increase many folds. We have the advantage of looking on to a flat land.
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Prem Kumar wrote:To give hajjaar benefit of doubt to Chinese planners, the following could be their strategy too:

****Begin Theory****

India can win 1 front attritional war.
We can hold our own against a 2.5 front hot-war.
But how about a 2.5 front attritional war?

**** End theory****

But, irrespective of whether this is the Chinese strategy, we need to account for this possibility. Playing pure-defense is a losing proposition (courtesy Prisoner's Dilemma). Unless incursion is matched by incursion & an element of irrationality/surprise is maintained by India, we will pay a very heavy economic price. On the LAC, "surgical strike" needs to be replaced by "targeted incursions"
PremKumar Ji, interesting theory. Certainly a different take which in our alternate dhoti-shivering-sabre rattling modes we would have overlooked. Could you please take some time out and explain the Prisoner's Dilemma analogy you have proposed here. Would be much appreciated.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

perhaps the idea is to drain capex from the MSR / IN / IAF buildup into high opex high manning of the border. if a pathetic rag tag civil engg crew manned by scrawny border guards can get a entire corps to mobilize merely on basis of media threats isnt this a very cheap way ? no need to feed and fund terrorists either as the Pakis do . in economy of force it cannot be beat.

doing our own counter instrusions and squatting at 50 other places randomly is the only apt riposte.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Eh a week later and still nothing happening.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

It is our fault that we have a large force in our borders. Instead of creating trouble to Pakis and Chinis, we waste resources defending Paki & Chini trouble.

So it is not some wonderful Paki or Chini strategy, it is our stupidity, which has lead us in to a attrition war. On LOC men & resources attrition, on LAC resource attrition.
ryogi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ryogi »

Need to use Operant Conditioning with the CxP.

It should be deeply ingrained into them that every time they try something funny, they will feel pain.

Careful calibration of that pain, and it's type, will ensure that the Rat will need to think ten times before pressing that lever.

It's a "Skinner Box"-what controls behaviour of players in video games and makes millions $$$

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_c ... ng_chamber
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Eleven ping is busy making calls to DT, either he has no time to think about Doka la or he does not think that it is a pressing issue,
Shortly after Trump tweeted that military solutions were “locked and loaded,” Xi told him in a call that all sides should avoid inflammatory comments while agreeing the Korean Peninsula should be denuclearized. The White House said that Trump looked forward to visiting China this year, and called his relationship with Xi “extremely close.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... im-jong-un
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

SwamyG wrote:
g.sarkar wrote:BRF members: Are we showing some Prithviraj complex even before the war has commenced?
Comprehension problems? Please let us not display our killing instincts sitting in our favorite chairs and sofas, in a land far far away. Wars are not fought and won with blind emotions. I am sure our military professionals have enough killer instincts, fire power and acumen to teach Chinese professionals the necessary lesson. A few of sitting and opining on the internet does not decide what India government or military is going to do. Save your analogies and frothing.
I hope your sofa is as comfortable as mine.
Gautam
ManishC
BRFite

Post by ManishC »

"Korean peninsula should be denuclearized" is Eleven's code for US withdraw Nuclear umbrella from SoKo as a condition for Crazy Un to step back. Not going to happen, and this circus will continue long after Orange monkey is replaced by a braying donkey.

Also a request - Why esteemed members are posting full length articles from Gobar Times? It is CPC propagandu meant to spread FUD.
No different than Radio Pakistan in 1965 - Indian MSM is anti-national enough to give these lizard droppings wide audience, why should BR follow suite?