Republic Day 2015 - News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Re: Republic Day 2015 - News and Discussion

Post by deejay »

pankajs wrote:Yes Yes ... I agree ... because our noclear weapons are not paraded every year it is clear that we do not have the nooks. The world laughs at our claims on nooks. Till the nooks are paraded every year, especially when furriners are visiting and not just on Republic day, no one is going to respect our deterrence.

>> BTW, were we also kowtowing to the Japanese when Agni did not make it to last years parade? Modi needs to answer for last years parade too. Modi jawab do!
Brilliant repartee. Now! who all are with Manish Tiwari? :D
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

After this one, Congresswallahs will need a New Clear Detergent to whiten their kurta-pajamas.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

JE Menon wrote:After this one, Congresswallahs will need a New Clear Detergent to whiten their kurta-pajamas.
Given the yellowing of their kurta-pajamas they have been suffering since the past year, that will require one heckuva clean-up.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

:D maybe the brand Thermo New Clear then...
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

pankajs wrote:>> BTW, were we also kowtowing to the Japanese when Agni did not make it to last years parade? Modi needs to answer for last years parade too. Modi jawab do!
The Congress Party at least had the fig leaf that our then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh never claimed to have a 56 inch chest unlike our present Prime Minister Narendra Modi. That with a twig thrown in that Japan unlike the US does not have a nuclear arsenal.

One thing to stand as host in the presence of an individual with an acute case of piles out of sympathetic consideration. Quite another thing to stand in the presence of an individual with the a demonstrated prior history of having the royal pretension that no one may sit in his presence while he does so.

So the answer is no, we were not kowtowing to Japan.
ravip
BRFite

Post by ravip »

Knowing that they also didn't parade the missiles last year, only retard will question others when they don't parade.

US on more than one occasion has accepted and said that India is a responsible nuclear power, so they will certainly not have a problem with missiles being paraded on rajpath.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Sounds like a non issue to me. US visit was about business for the most part. It isn't as if they don't know what India has.
BajKhedawal
BRFite

Post by BajKhedawal »

I watched complete DD coverage of the parade ceremony on youtube live feed, and found it to be fantastic. I loved every second of it.

But many on BRF must be severely disappointed by absence of iran estyle frog marching, hain? :roll:

By god, so many whiney posters commented based on a tashvir taken in a fractional second of a moment in time. Makes you wonder how can such esteemed maulanas of BRFata be so dumb at times?
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Prabu wrote:
d_berwal wrote:http://www.odishanewsinsight.com/nation ... tricolour/

http://www.smashable.in/p-hamid-and-sal ... em-morning

Vice President Dr. Ansari has shown disrespect to the National Flag, but guess MSM is blacking out this news.
With due respect to vice president Dr. Handed Ansari, is this a secular insult to National Flag and hence acceptable??

after n number of people have explained that hameed ansari did no wrong and acted by the book, the continuing insinuation that he didn't salute the flag because he is muslim is not remotely acceptable on BRF.
banned for 3 days.
- Rahul
@ Rahul,

Thank you for correcting me, once going through the flag code, i do understand your correct and prompt reply.

@ Prabu,

I did not post the "comment" as a communal one so please, dont use my post to put down communal angel.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Making history, with every step - The Hindu
On a chilly winter Monday, amidst a light drizzle, history was made as an all-woman Army contingent marched on the stretch in Rajpath, New Delhi, during the Republic Day parade.

Seated in the audience, in gallery no. 14, was Binah Ajith Kumar.

A resident of Madipakkam, her heart overflowed with pride as the women officers marched by. After all, the contingent was led by her daughter Captain Divya Ajith Kumar.

“Her contingent was the first to march after the display of military firepower, machines and vehicles.

When it was announced that the first ever all-woman Army contingent was marching by, everyone in the audience rose and applauded. When my daughter’s name was announced as contingent commander, I was overjoyed and it was the most memorable moment in my life,” Ms. Binah recalls.

Belonging to the Corps of Army Air Defence, Capt. Divya’s marched past the dignitaries and audience, flanked by two woman officers.

They were followed by 144 serving woman officers from the Army and trainee women cadets from OTA.

This is not the first time Capt. Divya is marching on the Rajpath. She had also led the all-India contingent of National Cadet Corps’s senior division girls wing during the Republic Day parade in 2008, when she won the All India Best Girl Cadet and best parade commander awards.

Captain Divya was a student of Good Shepherd Convent and a B. Com graduate from Stella Maris College. Her NCC officer from college, Dolly Thomas, remembers her as very focussed and hardworking. “She was very responsible and used to single-handedly take care of Cadostar, our annual inter-college NCC festival,” Prof. Thomas says.

Capt. Divya completed college in 2009, cleared the Combined Defence Services Examination and joined OTA the same year, and passed out in 2010, bagging the sword of honour – the first woman to receive it in the history of the academy, where she is now an instructor. She had earlier served in Anantnag, Jammu and Kashmir.

“It was a terrific feeling and I got a lot of calls of appreciation. I want more young women, especially from Tamil Nadu to join Indian Army,” added Capt. Divya, who, like any true Chennaiite, is a fan of the Marina Beach.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Someone had posted the list of the honours and awards for the Republic Day: http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/ ... 37663.ece1. Is it common for so many Lt Generals and Maj Generals to get awards, relative to the number of other officers and other ranks ?
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

^^^Srin: The awards to the Generals are Param Vishist Seva Medal, At Vishist Seva Medals etc which are non gallantry recognition for distinguished service given to Armed Forces personnel. As it works out one gets them after having put in considerable amount of Service and hence one gets to see mostly General ranks.
HKumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by HKumar »

now you know why jernails walk around with their uniform full of ribbons. Most gallantry awards for lower ranks and non yudh-seva awards for generals. Makes you wonder if 'exceptional service' begins and ends with generals.

Also no IAF and IN/CG folks in there.
HKumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by HKumar »

RD 2015 awards for Navy

http://indiannavy.nic.in/news-events/ga ... -personnel

Nothing on IAF website. OT- The IAF website is 'best viewed in IE' and looks cluttered/dated on my non-IE browser.

the Navy site is much better organized.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

HKumar

This

vs

Same story WW
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

only available public image of the missile ejection test conducted on Agni5 earlier

Last edited by Gerard on 29 Jan 2015 04:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

HKumar wrote:now you know why jernails walk around with their uniform full of ribbons. Most gallantry awards for lower ranks and non yudh-seva awards for generals. Makes you wonder if 'exceptional service' begins and ends with generals.

IAF, IN & CG awards are listed on their website or their relative medium.

You can keep on wondering if 'exceptional service' begins and ends with generals.

Its only in India that we can have so many doubts/ wondering of mind for our own generals!!!

Let's have a exercise to change your wondering mind...

Lieutenant >> Captain >> Major >> Lieutenant Colonel >> Colonel >> Brigadier >> Major general >> Lieutenant general >> General >> Field marshal (this is the line of rank progression for an officer in IA.
(Lt. to Captain - after 2 years of service, Major - after 6 years of service Lt. Col. - after 13 years of service Further promotion is by selection, not time scale)

The exercise part for you is put Numbers against the above rank progression.

for example @ 10%: Colonel (10000)>> Brigadier (1000)>> Major general (100)>> Lieutenant general (10)>> General(1)

If the selection process is so stringent, obviously one will find jernails walk around with their uniform full of ribbons.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

H Kumar, Please don't make unnecessary snide remarks.

Forgive me for saying it but is Kejriesque mode....
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Getting Obama on RD 2015 parade might have subdued parade display of A5s and LCAs [which I repent for the strategic invite given to potus on this special day], but then, the effect of it will be bearing fruit soon. There was a good de-hyphenation that began since couple of years back, but it was at the weakest link.. now, with Obama participating in the parade, Modi gov has totally eliminated any kind of hyphenation to India with the larger south-asia chapter in the strategic definitions of CIA books. The picture now is communal, but the hard fact is America just can't bully India anymore as a democratic nation that is poised to grow.. indirectly in action doing the same as what george bush said: are you with us, or with the enemies. The Aug 14th date is erased for Bharat future..

I think, 2015 RD parade was not only very eventful, but very strategic in nature. A turning point with many deep strike to western view points.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Singha wrote:In the autumn of his life, lovely to see the old lion mms in the audience with a grin reflecting on a job well done in putting back the congis by 30 yrs and avenging his mentor and guru pvnr insulted even in death.

Well done sir..subtle are your ways...

He has the quiet satisfaction of one who laid low the mighty Congress machine.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

ramana wrote:
Singha wrote:In the autumn of his life, lovely to see the old lion mms in the audience with a grin reflecting on a job well done in putting back the congis by 30 yrs and avenging his mentor and guru pvnr insulted even in death.Well done sir..subtle are your ways...
He has the quiet satisfaction of one who laid low the mighty Congress machine.
Not For love of nation but for personal satisfaction.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

only available public image of the missile ejection test conducted on Agni5 earlier
The URL is mightier than the missile!!!

Last edited by Gerard on 29 Jan 2015 04:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thanks. Fixed the original.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Should have x-posted earlier....
chetak wrote:Pride of place awaits Bengaluru autorickshaw driver's daughter

An autorickshaw driver’s daughter from Bengaluru will on Monday have the rare honour of saluting President Pranab Mukherjee, the supreme commander of the armed forces, on Rajpath during the Republic Day parade.

Sub-Lieutenant Hema S, daughter of G Sudhakar Babu (60) and Komala J (58), a typist at Karnataka Milk Federation, will be part of the Navy’s first-ever all-woman marching contingent.

Hema remembers her father eagerly listening to the Republic Day parade commentary on the radio. But come January 26, Babu and Komala will be glued to the television set to witness their daughter marching along with 143 other women officers to the tune of “Kadam Kadam Badhaye Ja”–the marching tune of Subhash Chandra Bose’s Indian National Army.

Hema’s journey, however, was not easy. Though she was good at academics, scoring more than 90 per cent in her board exams, funding her engineering course proved to be a daunting task.

While her parents could arrange half the tuition fees, Hema worked in “McDonalds” and “Reliance Fresh” and also sold sketches to earn that extra bit. The struggle paid off. She graduated in 2013 and landed a job with IT major Tata Consultancy Services.

Within months, she cleared the Short Service Commission entrance examinations and joined the Navy. The training began in June and she received her stripes in November.

“My father wanted me to take up a government job and thought of getting me married. One of my friends is a Navy pilot, who encouraged me to join the service,” Hema told Deccan Herald.

The practice drill in Delhi at 3 am was a freezing experience, but the contingent under the leadership of Lt Cdr Priya Jeykumar took it in their stride and practised hard, chin up. “It will be a proud day for all of us,” said Hema.

Though Komala and Babu have seen harsh days in the past, their modest home at Marenahalli is now frequented by friends and family members ever since Hema made it to the marching contingent.

“Seeing me on Rajpath will be the happiest moment for my parents who could not make it to Delhi,” she said.

After passing out from the Naval Academy in Ezhimala, Hema joined the INS Valsura in Jamnagar, where she received training in electrical, electronic and weapon technologies.

Subsequently, she joined the logistics training establishment at the INS Humla, Mumbai, for further training as observer in maritime surveillance aircraft.

For the first time, the Army, Air Force and Navy will be fielding an all-woman marching contingent at the parade.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

HKumar wrote:RD 2015 awards for Navy

Nothing on IAF website. OT- The IAF website is 'best viewed in IE' and looks cluttered/dated on my non-IE browser.

"Best viewed on IE" is a disease rampant in India caused by an oversupply of young IT folks who will create web pages for IE only at a huge price tag. The simplest solution is to change your browser identity so the website "thinks" you have IE. The dominance of Microsoft is partly to blame. I don't suppose you are using Windows are you? If you are you really should not be complaining - that is part of the problem.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

:) :)
HKumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by HKumar »

d_berwal wrote:
HKumar wrote:now you know why jernails walk around with their uniform full of ribbons. Most gallantry awards for lower ranks and non yudh-seva awards for generals. Makes you wonder if 'exceptional service' begins and ends with generals.

IAF, IN & CG awards are listed on their website or their relative medium.

You can keep on wondering if 'exceptional service' begins and ends with generals.

Its only in India that we can have so many doubts/ wondering of mind for our own generals!!!

Let's have a exercise to change your wondering mind...

Lieutenant >> Captain >> Major >> Lieutenant Colonel >> Colonel >> Brigadier >> Major general >> Lieutenant general >> General >> Field marshal (this is the line of rank progression for an officer in IA.
(Lt. to Captain - after 2 years of service, Major - after 6 years of service Lt. Col. - after 13 years of service Further promotion is by selection, not time scale)

The exercise part for you is put Numbers against the above rank progression.

for example @ 10%: Colonel (10000)>> Brigadier (1000)>> Major general (100)>> Lieutenant general (10)>> General(1)

If the selection process is so stringent, obviously one will find jernails walk around with their uniform full of ribbons.
ramana wrote:H Kumar, Please don't make unnecessary snide remarks.

Forgive me for saying it but is Kejriesque mode....
I am not questioning the capability of the IA general staff. I am sure they are all very capable and competent individuals.
The comment was generic to armies of all countries for their love of the 'fruit salad'. No offense meant.
HKumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by HKumar »

shiv wrote:
HKumar wrote:RD 2015 awards for Navy

"Best viewed on IE" is a disease rampant in India caused by an oversupply of young IT folks who will create web pages for IE only at a huge price tag. The simplest solution is to change your browser identity so the website "thinks" you have IE. The dominance of Microsoft is partly to blame. I don't suppose you are using Windows are you? If you are you really should not be complaining - that is part of the problem.

why is my choice of OS part of problem? I don't believe in generalizing MS or google or any other company. MS is providing tools to develop like others. Its for content developers to choose better and use the tools properly and cater to a wider audience. Its for content providers to not hire the cheapest sweat shop content developers. I use MS and others equally. I find several annoyances in non-MS s/w that work fabulously in MS and vice versa. FYI ... I use Andriod , chromebook and win 7.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

OT:
^^ One has to go South Korea ( where im currently) to be amazed at how a technologically advanced can still be backwards.

Every thing here runs ONLY on IE and even a simple online bank account will require you to throw out your macbook or chrome etc since they run ONLY on IE.

South Koreans Are Stuck With Internet Explorer Thanks To An Outdated Security Law
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

The stories of both Sub. Lt Hema and Lt. Cdr Priya are heart warming. I am sure that many other members of the Nari-shakti contingent had similar tales.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Who was that lady behind Modi and Obama during the parade? At one time Modi hands her some paper.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

HKumar wrote:
shiv wrote: "Best viewed on IE" is a disease rampant in India caused by an oversupply of young IT folks who will create web pages for IE only at a huge price tag. The simplest solution is to change your browser identity so the website "thinks" you have IE. The dominance of Microsoft is partly to blame. I don't suppose you are using Windows are you? If you are you really should not be complaining - that is part of the problem.

why is my choice of OS part of problem? I don't believe in generalizing MS or google or any other company. MS is providing tools to develop like others. Its for content developers to choose better and use the tools properly and cater to a wider audience. Its for content providers to not hire the cheapest sweat shop content developers. I use MS and others equally. I find several annoyances in non-MS s/w that work fabulously in MS and vice versa. FYI ... I use Andriod , chromebook and win 7.
Its actually bad web developer practice that's all - if they switched to standard compliant HTML5 it would display the same everywhere including IE
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

HKumar wrote: I am not questioning the capability of the IA general staff. I am sure they are all very capable and competent individuals.
The comment was generic to armies of all countries for their love of the 'fruit salad'. No offense meant.
HKumar wrote: why is my choice of OS part of problem? I don't believe in generalizing MS or google or any other company. MS is providing tools to develop like others..
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Indranil on 30 Jan 2015 03:27, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: User warned for petty bickering. 3 day ban.
HKumar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by HKumar »

LokeshC wrote:
HKumar wrote: I am not questioning the capability of the IA general staff. I am sure they are all very capable and competent individuals.
HKumar wrote: why is my choice of OS part of problem? I don't believe in generalizing MS or google or any other company. MS is providing tools to develop like others..
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
what's funny ? you think found a contradiction when you cherry-pick words and take them out of context?

oh well. color me hypocrite.

dictionary definition -
generic - characteristic of or relating to a class or group of things; not specific. (armies love medals)
generalize - make general or broad statement by inferring from specific cases. (website is bad so MS is bad)

as you see the two words are not synonymous and there isn't much to :mrgreen: there.
Last edited by Indranil on 30 Jan 2015 03:27, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: User warned for petty bickering. 3 day ban.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Indranil, OK ban them for three days and let them enjoy the sabbatical weekend. No harm as they can come back Monday!
SagarAg
BRFite

Post by SagarAg »

ramana wrote:Who was that lady behind Modi and Obama during the parade? At one time Modi hands her some paper.
She is the English language interpreter for our PM. She accompanies Modi ji everywhere be it Australia, US, or meetings with foreign dignitaries. I think she is Raja Bose or Singha garu friend's wife :-?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

HKumar wrote: why is my choice of OS part of problem?
Don't ask me. Not my problem
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Sagar saar, I think she is the interpreter for Obama, not the PM.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Another great Beating The Retreat this year and great presentation by DD too.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

only by a secure identity. the interpreter must carry with her a gov issued id card.. no?

the authentication has to be on the individual and not on the interpretation (data).
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

^^ I think KLNMurthy is talking about background and security checks before a contractor is hired to sit between two head of sates.

You can't get close enough then this.