LCA Tejas: News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Re: LCA Tejas: News and Discussions

Post by deejay »

Sid wrote:But are ODL and Link 2 different or can work coherently? Like Link 16.

For example, can a Ka 31 securely communicate data with Mig 29K and Su 30 MKI. Similarly can a Phalcon and DRDO's AWAC can integrate with Navy assets.

If they all share similar data link, the combined sensor fused image will be much more coherent then information assessed by individual arm.
Sid ji, that is the plan. What is the exact status - I do not know.

Briefly, there are priority groups which will integrate first. New assets which will be inducted after we have these technologies will most probably have them from the start.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

^^^^
Platform to command, data link is the main priority , Platform to platform linking may come up in future then also, if a command can data link with multiple platforms , then it will also relay the data form one platform to another platform and thus every one in the loop have a complete picture or situational awareness.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Karan M wrote:Ok, not going to crib about LCA canopy anymore.. the visibility is fairly decent, and only the exact rear of the pilot (where he cant turn anyhow) is missing.
And those large rear view mirrors are exactly for that I presume.

Fisheye lens makes it look better than it really is. We should at least on the AMCA get a freaking bubble canopy going.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

L-273 Uttam AESA radar for Tejas
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Saurav Jha ‏@SJha1618 7m7 minutes ago Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh

HAL LCA MK-2 module developers may be chosen on a nomination basis. the Mk-2 will have 10 modules with HAL as lead integrator.
Saurav Jha ‏@SJha1618 9m9 minutes ago Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh

HAL has to transform itself into a lead integrator now and outsource like hell.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

Any details about the AESA radar Thakur B ???
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Shiv ji, agree with what you just said. That was the same (Porki) information I had in mind when raising this question. We (and me too) made a lot of fun for their acquisition of multiple incompatible AWAC platforms. Only way to replay information (to a incompatible platforms) was to relay it via ground stations, which kind of defeated the whole purpose of acquiring them in the first place.

Few days (or weeks) back there was a report stating that Russians will be offering new upgraded Comm units for Su-30MKI, which will included new data link (if I remember it correctly).

But then we have our own initiative link ODL and Link 2, and the picture becomes too murky. Maybe murky is what IAF/IN wants us to believe.
-------------------------------------------------------

Deejay ji, if someone can ask this question to right person during Aero India then it might shed some light on its current status. But given the nature of the technology people might not speak up.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Saurav Jha ‏@SJha1618 6m6 minutes ago

HAL Chmn says that 1300 crores is what it will take to increase LCA prodn rate to 16 per year. But needs clarity on orders.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

So with 2600 Crs, as one time investment, the production can reach 32 AC year??

Or I have totally lost it.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

pankajs wrote:
Saurav Jha ‏@SJha1618 6m6 minutes ago

HAL Chmn says that 1300 crores is what it will take to increase LCA prodn rate to 16 per year. But needs clarity on orders.
Pratyush wrote:So with 2600 Crs, as one time investment, the production can reach 32 AC year??

Or I have totally lost it.
1300 crores is for increasing production from 8 to 16 per year. Off top of my head, I can't recall what HAL is spending for setting up the initial production line that will churn out 8 per year.

Besides before investment in increased production, there has to be larger confirmed orders for LCA Mk.1 from the IAF and IN. Then it is a matter of scaling up the entire ecosystem, including hundreds of SMEs. LCA Mk.2 is going to require quite a bit of retooling along with the changes that vendors have to do.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Assuming 1300 cr is fixed cost for 16 LCA per year, a 10 year run will mean fixed cost of 8.1 cr per LCA. For a 15 year run the fixed cost will pan out to 5.4 cr per LCA.

At the end of 10 years the line will churn out 160 LCA and a 15 years run will yield 240 LCA. If the total orders for LCA do not exceed 200-250 it does not make sense to go for a second line. Even the expanded capacity of 16 per year makes sense only if the total order will ultimately exceed 160+.
Last edited by pankajs on 19 Feb 2015 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

- how many modules on the Uttam
- does it have a swivel mechanism to increase the azimuthal coverage
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

But we need to have at least 300 LCA in the next 10 years, no??
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

That is why HAL is asking for clarity on orders. As of now all they have is 40+ on their order book. As a profit seeking PSU company they will not and should not sink money before firm orders. All we know for certain is that India is looking to induct 300-500 new fighters in the next 20 years. What part of this will be LCAs is still up in the air.

If the current order is sub 80 they will stick with 8 LCA per year line. If the order is expanded to 160+ the ramp up to 16 per year will happen. If the order is expanded to 320+ only then it makes economic sense to go up to 32 per year. That is if it is a purely economic decision.

The GOI could order them to build the lines irrespective of the orders BUT that will be a political call and not an economic call and is beyond the pay-grade of the HAL chairman.
astal
BRFite

Post by astal »

Have you guys noticed the shape of the intakes in the Naval version of the MK2. They start in the same position as the Tejas MK1 but curve out towards the wings as they extend to the back of the aircraft. Was this to accommodate the landing gear and folding mechanism or to change airflow?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

The inlet has not changed. There is an extra fairing for the MLG to retract into.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

NP-2 with arrestor hook.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

for the small size and weight of plane the landing gear struts look highly over engineered...thicker than the F18 which is twice the empty weight.
definitely it can and must be shaved down.
sooraj
BRFite

Post by sooraj »

Short video of Aero India 2015 Flight Display
[youtube]/watch?v=19ma7uahop8[/youtube]
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Singha wrote:for the small size and weight of plane the landing gear struts look highly over engineered...thicker than the F18 which is twice the empty weight.
definitely it can and must be shaved down.
Singha, I've seen the F/A-18 E/F landing gear from close up and they're massive! It may well be that a little more optimisation can be done on the MLG of the LCA Navy, but it doesn't appear excessive to me as such.
SidSom
BRFite

Post by SidSom »

The inlet has not changed. There is an extra fairing for the MLG to retract into.
The Models on display at the DRDO also showed significant "swelling" just behind the inlet opening. It could be just the Fairing to accomodate the heavier LG but it surely "looks" more than that. I got 2 crappy grainy pics of them. Gurus please check with LCA team if you get the chance

http://imgur.com/Demuz3z,JfXvTv6#0
http://imgur.com/Demuz3z,JfXvTv6#1
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

JE Menon wrote:Incredible how NDTV has reported that story "no manuals yet" and thus "LCA is far from fighting fit" ... Lifafa written all across it, or journalist needed something briefly sensational so cooked this crap up...

Judging from the above NDTV newseditors must be retards or paid off.
Please .. such esteemed journos from such an esteemed news channel .. I'm sure they're anything but retards :)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

About "manuals" - I am not arguing that manuals are unnecessary - but any article you read about the induction of Il 76, An 32, MiG 21, 23, 27, 29 etc speak of Russian manuals only. People who went to Russia for conversion had to learn Russian. Instrument switches were marked in Russian.

The media never wrote artciles about those things and they still don't. Manuals in India will suffer from the same issues that dog our education. The manual makers will come from a background of8-10 different Indian languages. None of them would have had English as a first language and few would have Hindi as first. So I predict (and you heard it here first) that manuals, when they come will be accused of having poor English.

I would have thought that manuals should be in downloadable pdf other text format - available in different languages and available on Tablets to mechanics and technicians. Even traffic policemen use smart electronic gadgetry to check identities etc. Physical paper manuals may be passe. In fact a 24x7 online helpline could be made available from every air base to HAL direct.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Shiv, there is a significant outsourcing industry in India which works on technical documentation for worldwide companies including aviation firms. HAL itself has a significant presence in the field. Poor English won't likely be a concern. The challenge would be to make them user friendly. The scientists gave the pilots their own manuals and second revision is to be simpler and user focused, do this and that and screen will show this .. not "behind this screen is the xyz processor which has so much memory attached to it" etc
And yes, the manuals can be available in eformat etc. Probably for security reasons, they might be restricted to base computers and not be available for download. The maintenance files etc can definitely be e-available.. thats how the industry operates.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Talking about manuals, check out page 21 of this Official LCA Tejas 2015 Brochure:
  • I-Manual Browser
  • Maintenance Support Device
  • Tutoring Simulator
  • Cause and Effect Simulator
  • Cockpit Procedure Simulator
  • Verbo-Visual Simulator
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Another strawman being raised all these years when Harrier was in service (about to be decommissioned in 2016 ) we only had 1 sea harrier simulator and it was out of order for a long time before it was fixed (it's graphics are on par with my 20 year old 16 bit video game) , Russians are still struggling to get the Mig-29k simulator working and MSM is busy talking about faulty manuals for Tejas.
member_28911
BRFite

Post by member_28911 »

btw Gupta says TAML import synthetic resins to fabricate composite structure of LCA :?:
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Seems likely
Saurav Jha @SJha1618 · 19h 19 hours ago

Efforts are underway to at least localize the T300 composites supply chain for the LCA program.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

shiv wrote:........................

The media never wrote artciles about those things and they still don't. Manuals in India will suffer from the same issues that dog our education. The manual makers will come from a background of8-10 different Indian languages. None of them would have had English as a first language and few would have Hindi as first. So I predict (and you heard it here first) that manuals, when they come will be accused of having poor English.

Actual issue is not about "existence" of LCA manuals, but that the current manuals are too technical and detailed for squadron pilots and technicians. Obviously documents created by hard core hands-on scientist will be hard to decipher by a pilot or maintenance crew.

DDM/paid media starts spreading FUD as soon as LCA progress steps on some import lobby's toe. That's normal for them.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

indranilroy wrote:
Kartik wrote: Surprise for me as well..last AI-’13, the length of the LCA Navy Mk2 was stated as being the same as that of the IAF LCA Mk2. I was aware that the new fairing would be added to accommodate the landing gear and that the wings would get pushed out for that, but this additional length is a positive surprise. The wing area increasing was also not something mentioned then, so it’s quite clear that the design has progressed much more since then.

Like KaranM, I’m not pleased with the canopy design. A smaller canopy, like that seen in brochures of the LCA Navy Mk2 from AI-’13 would be a better approach, unless it was coming in the way of area ruling concepts.

Your observation on the possible F-16 style split airbrakes is also the same as mine- will see if I can get that answered at this AI, if I do get to go.
Don't know about the area ruling. Making a bulged canopy should be working against it.
I take it back. I see what you are saying. It is definitely for area ruling. The have done a 747 :wink: . The hump behind the cockpit starts to recede only where the new fairing for the MLG starts to grow (just behind the inlet) and dissapears where the fairing is fattest!

vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

For the record, 2 messages on from BRF, about arrestor hook:
viewtopic.php?p=1290014#p1290014
viewtopic.php?p=1742124#p1742124
viewtopic.php?p=1547699#p1547699
viewtopic.php?p=1170094#p1170094

Some pics of Tejas at Aero India 15: link
(click on pics or use arrow keys to move from one pic to another in popup)
Hobbes
BRFite

Post by Hobbes »

More FUD about the LCA Tejas from a foreign source, along with alarmist projections from "insiders" on the IAF's alleged weaknesses. Looks like the Rafale brigade, along with its cohorts in the Western arms manufacture business, is in full cry. The comments by Richard Aboulafia, an analyst for the Teal Group, a Washington based research outfit, are interesting. This individual has spoken up against the the Tejas on numerous occasions over the years, with the constant refrain of "it is bound to fail", "it will fail" etc. Now that the LCA's success is imminent, his comments have moderated somewhat. Unfortunately on this occasion too the IAF folks have not come off well, as can be seen from the quotes.

Article link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102436971

Copy/ paste for convenience:

India's ailing air force at risk in tough neighborhood
Wednesday, 18 Feb 2015 | 7:59 PM ETReuters

India's air force risks a major capability gap opening up with China and Pakistan without new western warplanes or if local defense contractors can't produce what the military needs in a timely manner.

A 2012 agreement to buy 126 Rafale fighters from France's Dassault Aviation has stalled due to a dispute over the assembly of the aircraft in India.

India's first homegrown fighter, the Tejas light combat aircraft, will finally be delivered next month, 30 years after it was conceived. But senior air force officers privately said they were unimpressed, with one former officer, an ex-fighter pilot, saying the plane was "so late it is obsolete".

While the navy is undergoing an accelerated modernization drive, experts said India was vulnerable in the skies because of its reliance on a disparate fleet of ageing Russian-made MiG and French Mirage fighters, along with more modern Russian Sukhoi Su-30s. Half of India's fighters are due to retire beginning this year until 2024.

"It could lead to humiliation at the hands of our neighbors," AK Sachdev, a retired air force officer, wrote last year in the Indian Defense Review journal.

A coordinated attack by China and arch-rival Pakistan could stretch the Indian military, he added. It's a scenario defense strategists in New Delhi have been asked to plan for, Indian air force sources say, although experts say such an event is highly unlikely to happen.

India's ties with China are still hamstrung by a dispute over their Himalayan border that led to war in 1962. New Delhi is also wary of China's expanding naval presence in the Indian Ocean and its close relations with Pakistan.

Multiple crashes

India's air force has 34 operational squadrons, down from 39 earlier this decade and below the government approved strength of 42, a parliamentary committee said in December.

More than half of India's MiGs have crashed in recent decades, the then defense minister said in 2012.

At the same time, China is flying locally built fourth-generation J-10 fighters and is testing two fifth-generation stealth fighter jets.

Pakistan is upgrading its Lockheed Martin F-16 fighters as well as using JF-17 warplanes developed with China. It is also in talks to buy J-10s, according to Pakistani and Chinese industry sources.

India would still win a war against Pakistan because of the sheer size of its air force, but the slow modernization means victory would come with heavy casualties, said Richard Aboulafia, Washington D.C.-based vice president of analysis at the Teal Group, an aerospace and defense think tank.

To keep up, India is buying more Su-30s and upgrading other existing fighters.

"We do need to increase our defense preparedness," Prime Minister Narendra Modi told the opening ceremony of the Aero India airshow in the city of Bengaluru on Wednesday.

Criticism of the Tejas was unfounded, said K. Tamilmani, a senior official at the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), a defense ministry agency which designed and developed the plane.

"The Tejas has a safety record that is unbeaten," Tamilmani told Reuters by telephone, adding it would provide a platform to develop more advanced fighters in the years ahead.

Impasse over Rafale jets

The Rafale fighters are expected to replace some of India's MiGs and Mirage jets.

But India is insisting Dassault take full responsibility for production of the aircraft at a state-run facility in Bengaluru, Indian defense ministry officials have said.

France has said it will help Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd stick to delivery schedules, but that it cannot give guarantees for production of the aircraft made at a facility over which it has no administrative or expert control.

India would decide on the fate of the deal only after March, when a defense ministry committee delivers a report on the issue, Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar said at the airshow.

Cancellation would be "disastrous", said Deba Mohanty, chairman at Indicia Research & Advisory, a New Delhi-based defense consulting firm.

"It's a really tricky situation in which the supplier is unhappy, the bureaucrats are unhappy and the end user is disappointed," said Mohanty.

India has successfully introduced Boeing's C-17 cargo plane and P-8 Poseidon anti-submarine aircraft and Lockheed Martin's C-130J transport, all bought directly, over the last few years.

That shows off-the shelf solutions work best, experts said.

However, under the Modi administration's "Make in India" program, there is an emphasis on building a domestic defense industrial base to cut dependence on foreign supplies that have made India the world's biggest arms importer.

The DRDO for example is working on the Tejas Mark II, a slightly larger plane than the original, which will feature more powerful engines, better radars and upgraded avionics.

Local trainer jets, light transport aircraft and helicopter programs are also under way.

"People who fly planes want the best value for money, which means off-the-shelf," said Aboulafia. "People who want jobs and technology development schemes have different priorities. That's why the two groups don't like each other much."
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

What was a let down by the LCA team was a mock-up,model at least of the MK-2.Its been two air shows past,4 years without any clue as to what the Mk-2 will look like.The models displayed ,one with a MK-2 label had the same intakes as the MK-1! There was actually no difference from the MK-1.Only the NLCA showed the raised cockpit,LERXes,etc. Yet again the jaguar upgrade by Honywell,"Make it roar",was touted.The actual truth is that the Jaguar can't make a sound more than a "Meow" of now as this upgrade has been talked about,displayed for 3 air shows now! Talk about procrastination,that too when the contractor for the job,Honywell,has been selected a long time ago.

This beggars the Q,whether HAL has the ability to deliver on so many fronts.LCA,MMRCA,FGFA,IJT,etc,and still wants to go it alone with its own basic trainer after the IAF have emphatically declared in favour of more PC-7s. Modernisation of the Jags would to a large extent ameliorate the imminent retiring of the MIG-21s/27s and increase GA capability.In a feature on the IAF's air support combat doctrine,an analyst,retd. sr. officer,said that we would be better off for this role with dedicated GA attack aircraft like the A-10/SU-25 types.Perhaps the armed Hawk could fill the role.PGMs.smart bombs must be delivered en masse to have the desired saturation/point attack effect on the battlefield and air power has an advantage over arty logistic wise. The LCA is also supposed to take up much of the slack in close support ,replacing the MIG-21s in that role. It is nowhere in large-scale serial production. At least the Jag upgrade could've been fast-tracked sicne we've been manufacturing the aircraft for a long time.The snail's pace of M-2000 upgrades is also bewildering,that too just 40+ aircraft for more than $2.4 B,compared with just $32M for a new MIG-29K and just under $1B for the deep upgrades of 64+ MIG-29s!
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

"Cancellation would be "disastrous", said Deba Mohanty, chairman at Indicia Research & Advisory, a New Delhi-based defense consulting firm."

No prizes for guessing who Indicia is shilling for. I guess the 'advisory' bit entitles him to visiting privileges at MoD
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Ok. here is my bit on the latest fart ...

The project involves upwards of 40K cr and may touch 100K cr not counting expense of arming with french weapons, etc.

With that kind of money involved, the decision is beyond the pay-grade of IAF or a Defense committee or even the Defense minister. All said and done it will be NaMo's call i.e whether quick import takes precedence over make in India, domestic MIC development, LCA's future, ballooning cost on the overall budget of the forces and its impact on future procurement, international relations, etc.

It also has a local political angle given that a part of the *facilitation* fee must already have changed hand. There is a risk of this blowing in the face of current gov. and there is an opportunity to squeeze the vendor to go after previous dispensation to recovery of the initial *facilitation* fee paid.

Or NaMo can choose to punt it forward and set up another committee to examine the previous committee report. The budget should provide a hint. NaMo has a lot to consider before talking a final call. Hope he chooses well.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Watch the impending Budget! It will give us a clue.The GOI is under enormous pressure to get the Indian "elephant" ambling along at acceptable pace. The Delhi debacle with the anarchist AAP routing everyone was more than a rude shock,it was like a bolt of lightning with a strong warning,perform or perish.Unless funds for development are plowed into the economy which gets to the lowest level,the agricultural base,farmers,etc.,the migration of millions to the city will increase,agri production decline and the infrastructural woes of the cities which require billions to set right,when a few millions spent in the villages will save billions,are going to be the key factors influencing the contours of the budget. True,the guns vs butter argument is an ancient one,but in its first budget,don't expect massive moolah for defence wares,esp. imports.Job creation at home is the current mantra. That argument has the most power behind the decision on the MMRCA.
vardhank
BRFite

Post by vardhank »

It might be a bit premature, but given that people are talking about LCA Mk IIIs on the Rafale-MMRCA thread, I'm wondering what it might have. Would anyone like to hazard a guess?
I'm assuming it won't be major changes like a different fuselage shape or a totally different, thrust-vectoring engine etc etc. An uprated engine of the same shape, possibly. No internal weapons-carriage, most likely.
But what could be done? What's the next stage in the evolution? Conformal tanks like the Block-60 Viper? Canards for better agility? Or would it go more towards LO characteristics, with a canted twin-tail and better frontal RCS reduction?
As a related aside, what changes could (not only would, COULD) you make to develop a more focussed ground-attack version? Would you be able to up-armour the plane and get better low-speed characteristics? Or would that be too much, given that the LCA was meant to be a petite fighter? (I'm thinking of the N/D variants of the Mirage 2000).
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

there are better pics of LCA uttam radar from our own dileep's clicks[check out the aero india dhaaga]
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Uttam radar capability about equal to the ELTA one already in service,said a boffin. If the EJ-200 engine is swiftly chosen for the AMCA,the first decision that must be made,which has a TVC option,then the AMCA whose contours have been generally frozen,could be fast-tracked instead of an LCA Mk-3. The good Prof. Pradyut in Vayu has been giving his considered views on the same,esp. the weight issue for both Mk-1 and proposed Mk-2,whose contours have not been displayed at all unlike the AMCA! If LCA production right from the start is not ramped up to at least 16-20/yr.there will be few aircraft and little effect it will have upon the IAF's capability,(too few and far too late) in the next decade. We may even see see the LCA ,designed in the '80s being overtaken by the 5th-gen FGFA designed for the 21st century,enter service first before any Mk-2!
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

Philip wrote:Uttam radar capability about equal to the ELTA one already in service,said a boffin. If the EJ-200 engine is swiftly chosen for the AMCA,the first decision that must be made,which has a TVC option,then the AMCA whose contours have been generally frozen,could be fast-tracked instead of an LCA Mk-3. The good Prof. Pradyut in Vayu has been giving his considered views on the same,esp. the weight issue for both Mk-1 and proposed Mk-2,whose contours have not been displayed at all unlike the AMCA! If LCA production right from the start is not ramped up to at least 16-20/yr.there will be few aircraft and little effect it will have upon the IAF's capability,(too few and far too late) in the next decade. We may even see see the LCA ,designed in the '80s being overtaken by the 5th-gen FGFA designed for the 21st century,enter service first before any Mk-2!
ELTA AESA radar in service with which air force ???? UTTAM is a AESA radar.

About AMCA programme , this is what Dr K Tamilmani have to say
1."We have to introduce three technologies on AMCA that are not there on light combat aircraft (LCA): stealth; thrust vectoring engines; and supercruise (the capability to fly at supersonic speeds without engine afterburners.) We are working on all three areas already."
2."By late-2019, I will need an engine to be integrated onto the AMCA. We are discussing with multiple engine vendors - Rolls-Royce, GE, Snecma. We could buy an upgraded version of an existing engine, with its output enhanced to 110KiloNewtons. The vendors need three years to develop that."
3."With the government-to-government route with the US now open, we would be happy to use the GE F-414 engine. We have been working with the smaller GE F-404 on the Tejas for a long time and have seen no problems,"

Possibility to produce 120kN Thrust through EPE variant of GE-414 and super-cruising ability have already been demonstrated at Mach 1.2 using GE-414 with Gripen. An India already going to buy 99 F414-GE-INS6 to power LCA Mk II