Combating Terrorism Using Soft Power

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
periaswamy
BRFite

Re: Combating Terrorism Using Soft Power

Post by periaswamy »

* Deleted *
Last edited by periaswamy on 19 Oct 2017 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

* Deleted *
Last edited by chetak on 19 Oct 2017 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
periaswamy
BRFite

Post by periaswamy »

* Deleted *
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

chetak & periaswamy, I am deleting your posts. Lay off each other. You are not contributing to any worthwhile discussion. Take it as a warning not to continue this line.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Look "Terrorism" is not the same across the globe.The group's using acts of terror have specific objectives.Generally they are political.Jewsish terrorists of the Stern Gang,Irgun,etc.,carried out acts of terror killing Britishers in Palestine.They wanted a separate state for the Jews ,got it and became politicians and statesmen! Yasser Arafat wanted the same thing as the Jews but he got a moth-eaten Palestinian entity though even he became the supreme political leader of the Palestinians.

Other groups like the LTTE too wanted the same but most importantly refused to compromise and were defeated.ISIS ( originally ISIL denoting its territorial ambitions) and it's "Caliphate" are now similarly like the LTTE biting the dust.That's why the Paki pig's will never win as they want only the destruction of India! Sorry chums,no soft power works with that species,only extermination total of the lot!
Tuan
BRFite

Post by Tuan »

SSridhar wrote:
Tuan wrote:Talk about the power of music that today our PM was shedding tears in emotional tribute to a Canadian singer.

Justin Trudeau can't hold back tears in emotional tribute to Gord Downie: 'We are less as a country'
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/pri ... e-it-hurts
What has it got to do with countering terrorism and why 'our PM' when you are referring to a Canadian PM?

BTW, music is banned in Salafi, Wahhabi, Deobandi Islam and therefore we can't win their 'hearts & minds' through music.

There was another earlier reference here to 'winning hearts & minds' by American soldiers. Before suggesting anything like that to India, one should know what the Indian State does in J&K. I am increasingly getting frustrated by the woolly headed suggestions flowing here.

I will lock this thread, if it continues like this.
The Canadian PM’s emotional speech was symbolic because the point Trudeau was trying to make is that by music and lyrics the late influential and iconic Canadian musician Gord Downie made a huge difference vis-à-vis the public opinion of mainstream Canadians to reconcile with Indigenous communities over the treatment of aboriginal children and families under the residential school’s program, a very controversial and dark chapter in Canadian history.

I posted this in BRF to stimulate thinking and come up with hypothetical extrapolation of ideas. Like Gord Downie’s, Indian musician AR Rahman’s album “Vande Mataram” is equally influential and important, if not more so, in the noninvasive mind-controlling of Pakistanis. I am not an expert in Indian and Pakistani political affairs so correct me if I am wrong. You made a point that music is haram for Islamic extremists. However, it does not have to be a western rock or pop, rather there must be some elements for moderate Muslims to combat regional terrorism effectively and strategically with soft power Islamic cultural tools. Don’t you think that there are local versions of cultural soft power that can be influential within these Islamists? For instance, what is special in “Vande Mataram” album is that among other beautiful tracks, Rahman brought in Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan from Pakistan and made him sing “Gurus of Peace” with him, thereby unifying the entire nation and went beyond a step further by killing people in Pakistan kindly and softly. *Note: "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting” - Sun Tzu

Moreover, according to Sony Music, “Vande Mataram” album was released on the Golden Jubilee anniversary of India's independence and has been instrumental in instilling a sense of patriotic pride and national unity amongst the people of India. Ever since release, both the album and its title song "Maa Tujhe Salaam" have had a profoundly positive and unifying impact on the nationalistic and patriotic mood of the country.
periaswamy
BRFite

Post by periaswamy »

Tuan:
I posted this in BRF to stimulate thinking and come up with hypothetical extrapolation of ideas. Like Gord Downie’s, Indian musician AR Rahman’s album “Vande Mataram” is equally influential and important, if not more so, in the noninvasive brain controlling of Pakistanis. I am not an expert in Indian and Pakistani political affairs so correct me if I am wrong. You made a point that music is haram for Islamic extremists. However, it does not have to be a western rock or pop, rather there must be some elements for moderate Muslims to combat regional terrorism effectively and strategically with soft power Islamic cultural tools.
ALL MUSIC is haram to these hard core islamists, not just western pop. "noninvasive brain control" of these islamists by playing them music? Did you even bother to read the links provided to you about Pakistan today? Do you seriously think this weak-minded nonsense about "soft power" will stimulate any sort of useful ideas to combat terrorism, when these terrorists have trained themselves to avoid music and dancing of all kinds?

What difference does "music that unite the nation" make to a group of people who think that the so-called "moderates" are traitors to the faith, which is synonymous to their national identity. The islamists who send their children to madrassas submit to the salafi code of avoiding music, so you can play them all the Rahman CDs you want, they won't be anywhere around to listen to them.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Tuan, I don't want to answer the questions you have raised because you have not even started on the '101 Course'. You have exhibited total ignorance about Pakistan, its goals vis-a-vis India, Islamism, Jihadism et al. By talking about AR Rehman, Vande Mataram etc. you are exposing yourself even more.

Since you said you are going through the 'interesting' collection of references at the beginning of every 'Terroristan' thread and Shiv's eBook, I would ask you to keep in check your urge to suggest ridiculous ideas regarding how India should handle Pakistan, until after you have assimilated the contents of each one of those links.

I find it very insulting and infuriating that you casually throw your muck around here without any idea at all.
Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

Trudeau crocodile tears are a joke, keep the masses distracted by the image; so the same old cr#p can continue.

In fact here is a good video showing where rulers like
Ob#mmer, Macron, Trudeau, including the younger buffoon Gandhi are produced;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d9QZFdW8uQ

They are bred to say and do anything so the old ways (status-quo) can continue but with younger with-it/hip tearful faces.
In India this means larceny of the poor. The west have their owns ways of doing the same to their people
but their people are not, as of yet, on the same poverty level as they are in India.

Please dont fall for the nonsense from these horrid beings.
periaswamy
BRFite

Post by periaswamy »

Avtarji, that link points to some 60s BBC TV show called "Joe 90, world agent"? Am I missing something?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Tuan, I am shutting this thread as its now 5 pages and seen to be futile with respect to the terror that India faces.
Might work elsewhere.

ramana