Post by Karan M »

Thanks Deejay!
rakall
BRFite

Re: Indian Military Aviation - 21 Sept 2015

Post by rakall »

Karan M wrote:Thanks Deejay!
Karan - a correction required in section 4: "Mig29 vs PAF F16"

""Chased away PAF MiG-29s". Quoted by Wing Commander PK Singh" says the text.. May please be corrected to "Chased away PAF F16's"

Excellent writeup..
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

Twitter flash from @livefist - HTT-40 to be bought in large number says IAF chief Raha.
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Kailash wrote:Twitter flash from @livefist - HTT-40 to be bought in large number says IAF chief Raha.
September starts with a bang!
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

India Postpones ISTAR Aircraft Purchase From Raytheon
By: Vivek Raghuvanshi, September 1, 2016

NEW DELHI — India's Ministry of Defence (MoD) has put on hold the purchase of two intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance (ISTAR) aircraft from Raytheon of the United States, due to internal wrangling between the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) over which of the two should be the technical evaluator, according to a source in the MoD.

The cost for the two aircraft was to be about $1 billion, with payment structured around the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program.

"The thinking here [of the MoD] is that the two agencies — DRDO and IAF — should sort out the issue and only then we proceed towards purchasing the two ISTAR aircraft," the source said.

The eventual designated agency will be responsible for deciding which software and other equipment should be used and how to procure it.

"DRDO must certainly be wanting to work on related projects. Blocking any acquisition that is critical to war fighting capability is patently anti-national," retired IAR Air Marshal Muthumanikam Matheswaran said. "DRDO understands this, and I don't think they will do this. I think this must be a case of misunderstanding where DRDO must be trying to leverage technologies. That they can and must do anyway, through offsets or [US-India Defense Technology and Trade Initiative] routes."

A senior IAF official said the service should have selection authority because it will be the operating agency for the two ISTAR aircraft. The official claimed that DRDO does not have the technical capability or expertise needed to evaluate the aircraft.

DRDO scientists were unavailable for comment.

IAF officials and analysts agree the ISTAR purchase is too important to be put off.

"ISTAR capability is very vital in today's operational and technologically networked environment," Matheswaran said. "Given the networked warfare scenario, and our adversaries' capabilities, the IAF is certainly in dire need of ISTAR capability."

Last year, the MoD decided not to float a global tender and instead procure two ISTAR aircraft from Raytheon through the FMS route.

While MoD bureaucrats wait for the inner wrangling to be resolved, IAF waits for the aircraft. Matheswaran said purchase of the ISTAR technology is "a critical requirement. However, the IAF is in a serious crisis as many of its modernization programs have been delayed."

The ISTAR aircraft is expected to be equipped with active electronically scanned array radar and capable of scanning more than 30,000 kilometers in a minute, analyzing the data in 10 to 15 minutes to identify targets.

Explaining the working of the ISTAR, Matheswaran said: "It is the central airborne platform that has state-of-the-art communications and sensors, along with advanced analytical capability to achieve real-time targeting capability in the battlefield and operational environment. It also networks with other sensors, such as unmanned aerial vehicles, to build a common picture for effective targeting. This information is fed to ground commanders for effective decision-making."

Once the ISTAR aircraft are inducted, they will be integrated with the IAF's indigenous air command-and-control system (IACCS).

Being built on the lines of NATO's air command-and-control system, IACCS handles air traffic control, surveillance, air mission control, airspace management and force management functions.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

JSTARS - question is.. what platform? The 707 is long out of production with the 767 being the obvious alternative (opening the door to the KC-46 for the MRTT?).

Alternatively if its willing to wait to 2020, the IAF could sign on with the USAF's JSTARS Recap program (IOC 2023) based on a smaller commercial platform - Boeing 737 or Gulfstream G650 or Bombardier 6000 (with the 737 having the edge IMO).

Similar to the IN's P-8I acquisition.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the AEW&C News & Discussion

Brazilian news paper Folha De Sao Paulo informs that EMB 145 AEW&C purchase by us involved a middleman with all that implies:
Embraer Contracts with India and Saudi Arabia Are Targets of Investigation in the United States

09/08/2016 - 13H51
WÁLTER NUNES
FROM SÃO PAULO

Investigations that have been opened by the government of the United States to establish whether Embraer paid bribes in order to obtain contracts abroad have affected deals that the Brazilian company closed with Saudi Arabia and India.The company has not released details regarding the state of the investigations, but three people who have been following the case have confirmed to Folha that the deals concluded in Saudi Arabia and India are being examined.

In both cases, suspicions were underlined in May of this year when an employee with more than 30 years at the company reached a plea-bargain agreement in investigations being conducted by the Federal Public Prosecutor's Office here in Brazil.

Albert Phillip Close, Manager of Embraer's defense area, told Prosecutor Marcello Miller that he had heard a former sales director who worked in Europe admit to American investigators the payment of commissions to facilitate the sale of aircraft to the Saudis. …………………….

In the case of India, the plea bargainer said that Embraer had contracted a representative to assist in the sale of a surveillance system to the government.

In 2008, Embraer sold three EMB 145 AEW&C (Airborne Early Warning and Control) aircraft to the Indian government. The value of the deal was not announced at the time.

Translated by LLOYD HARDER
Folha De Sao Paulo
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

It would probably the uk astor type kit ++ which has a raytheon radar but on a p8 chassis with newer tech and more sensor quality and range
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Usa model jstars has never been exported ....even the old e8...probably due to packed with secretive esm sigint and no nato or east asian munna had a need for large ground battle c & c..well maybe erdogan does now....syria could use to hunt comvoys moving agile at night
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Btw while brf was down the iraqi army helis and anbar arab tribes trapped and killed two huge convoys of isis and family members fleeing from falluja into syria. Longe convoy was 11 miles. Liveleak footage exists. A few usaf sorties were called in at fag end and scored well aimed hits...same day the new syrian army circus got bashed in albu kamal

Word was local tribes blocked and ambushed instead of taking money to let pass but drones were onsite to record bda video
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Saw (in part) an interview of HAL director on DD last night. A few interesting points
1. HAL is now making Su-30s from raw material to finished product and is capable of supporting for the next 30-40 years. But downside of licence manufacture is that the designs are with OEM and any modification will have to be tested and certified by the OEM. This issue is avoided by having our own designs

2. He said LCA - the capability exists to make 8 a year and later 16 (per year) For larger numbers he said that Private players will have to chip in and produce components for integration in HAL

3. HAL has 2500 private player suppliers but most of them are "Tier 3" (lowest) HAL is now in a situation where they get raw material and come out with a finished product. This should not be the case. There should be more Tier 1 & 2 suppliers so that HAL becomes an "integrator" of manufactured parts rather than doing the whole hog from raw material to finished product

4. He spoke positively of Dhruv and Armed Dhruv. He mentioned LCH - only to say that weapon integration is proceeding apace and that weapons can be integrated as per users specs. Not much info that we don't know

5. About HTT 40 he said that they have integrated some "risk mitigation features" in case something does not go as planned.Did not specify - but mentioned young team

6. Future of HAL - he mentioned "competition" from pvt sector and civil aircraft. No details

7. No mention of engines.. :(
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Is there an IAF dhaaga?
After Pathankot operations, IAF holds massive combat exercise TALON
The combat drills will see different types of fighters - from Sukhoi-30MKIs and Mirage-2000s to Jaguars and MiG-29s as well as force-multipliers like mid-air refuellers and AWACS - take to the skies.
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/afte ... 61777.html
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

HAL has its own problem. THe Govt red tape prevents it from taking pro active decisions. Hence its easier to buy components and screw them together. Though recent steps like HTSE, HTFE, HTT, LCH, LUH are positive steps in right direction. I hope HAL is able to rescue IJT, Saras and Rustom also.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

shiv wrote:Did not specify - but mentioned young team
I have read a number - average age of 29 elsewhere.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

I believe that HAL and DRDO have performed well within their budget constraints, but my problem is obfuscation done to conceal very high import % in license manufacture. The % of import content is very high because capital expenditure is not permitted by MoD for indigenisation. I think total capital expenditure on Su-30MKI production line was only around Rs. 1000-2000 crores which is inadequate for deep indigenisation. Same problem with ALH. Now looking forward, I can only suggest that for PAKFA adequate capital expenditure, say, Rs. 20,000 crores which is only around USD 3 Billion will be spent for deep indigenisation.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Gyan wrote:I hope HAL is able to rescue IJT, Saras and Rustom also.
Saras and Rustom are not HAL's projects to rescue.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Returning to the tabs on the HTT-40. I am pretty sure that the production version of HTT-40 won't have a total of 6 tabs: two on the rudder and two each on the port and starboard side of the elevator.

Does anybody here know why so many tabs to start with: trim and anti-servo?
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Post by Lilo »

^
Who is TSR in plane number ?

Edit: found it
Mr. T. Suvarna Raju, who was Director (R&D) at that time, recalled that the project has glided through many earlier headwinds. (The team has painted his initials `tsr' on the first prototype.)
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Wild guess - T Suvarna Raju?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

It is. Bhadoria has openly said that it is a tribute to TSR's "never taking no as an answer attitude". Mujhe kuch jama nahi. I hate tel-paalish, if you know what I mean.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

indranilroy wrote:Returning to the tabs on the HTT-40. I am pretty sure that the production version of HTT-40 won't have a total of 6 tabs: two on the rudder and two each on the port and starboard side of the elevator.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/r6DwSUICIRo/maxresdefault.jpg

Does anybody here know why so many tabs to start with: trim and anti-servo?
Good catch. I don't know the answer but I was intrigued by the reference to "risk mitigation" efforts wrt to HTT 40 in the HAL MD interview. I wonder if tests are done with multiple tab setting combinations to arrive at different configurations to find an optimum one?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I don't think it is for risk mitigation. Fine tuning: yes.
Bhaskar_T
BRFite

Post by Bhaskar_T »

Jaguar down in Ambala, during take off. Plane caught fire. Pilot punched out.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

indranilroy wrote:I don't think it is for risk mitigation. Fine tuning: yes.
Agree, no risk mitigation. I guess you are right they are Balance tab (reduced stick force - connection to main surface) and Anti-servo tab sets (acts as safety check for over-control - connected to control surface). I am thinking while one deflects in the same direction as the control surface, the other deflects in opposite direction.

See the connections - one is connected to rudder and another is connected to the V-Tail same for elevator. That's tells the difference, IMO. Its possible that serial production version will not have them. Or another possibility is that since the anti-servo acts as a safety for over-control, for the newbie pilots' sake they will be retained.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I am afraid that I was wrong on a couple of accounts. I am pretty sure of what they are now.

Currently, there are five control tabs on the HTT-40. The one attached to the vertical and horizontal stabilizer are the balancing (servo) tabs. It moves in the opposite direction of the rudder/elevator movement. Additionally, both the rudder and the elevator have horn tabs. The servo tabs and the horn tabs would help the pilot have lighter control input. The servo tab, I think is to provide the flexibility as the weight of the prototype changes while testing. In the final config, all values will be know, and this tab will disappear. If required, they will adjust the size of horn tabs accordingly.

The ones connected to the rudder or the elevator directly are trim tabs. This is confirmed once you realize that the port side elevator does not have a trim-tab which is expected as the propellers are spinning clockwise (watching from the back).
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

indranilroy wrote:I don't think it is for risk mitigation. Fine tuning: yes.
The question that comes to my mind is, when it comes to situations of high AoA and low airspeed - i.e at the beginning of a stall and possibly a spin, could these tabs assist in "straightening out" (or deliberately adding to) asymmetries to commence a controlled spin as opposed to what became a huge problem with the IJT. The IJT's major problem is now stall/spin
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Question Indranil, does HTT-40 has a FCS in it or is it just manual control like some of those simpler GA planes??
Also does it have hydraulic controls or all mechanical controls??

Also what is "horn tab"?? I can't find it on Google.

Shiv, tabs have low effectiveness at low speeds. So I doubt they could help with spin where there is separated and low speed air over control surfaces.
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted from the “Managing Chinese Threat (09-08-2014)” thread.

PR Chinese Foreign Ministry comment on a Times of India article reporting that Japan may cut price for supply Shinmaywa US-2 Amphibious Aircraft to India in a bid to revive the deal:

FWIW let me assure the PR China Foreign Ministry that India and Japan’s “pursuit of co-operation is above board” in seeking to contain hegemonistic behavior of the Peoples Republic from India to Japan and including parts in between like the South China Sea:
Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on September 13, 2016 ……..

Q: A report on the Times of India said that the Japanese government is trying to secure a US$ 1.6 billion arms deal with India by pledging to reduce the price as much as possible. Japan is aiming at strengthening cooperation with India in defense and security and encouraging India to speak up on issues related to the South China Sea. What is your comment on that?

A: We have noted the report by the Times of India. We have no objection to normal cooperation, including cooperation in defense. However, it will be disgraceful if the motive behind someone's pursuit of cooperation is not so above board.
The Times of India Article referred to:

Japan may cut price to ink aircraft deal with India
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Saurav Jha ‏@SJha1618 18h18 hours ago New Delhi, India
India will operate strategic bombers. Someday. Soon.
Is he referring to the backfires ?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

JayS wrote:Question Indranil, does HTT-40 has a FCS in it or is it just manual control like some of those simpler GA planes??
I don't know. But let me dig around a little. I am pretty sure I can find out.
JayS wrote: Also what is "horn tab"?? I can't find it on Google.
A horn tab or a horn balance puts part of the control surface ahead of the hinge to decrease the moment required to move the control surface.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

I see all the 5 tabs as normal tabs. The control surfaces have horn balance, yes, but the tabs don't look like they have that.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Oh no no! It is is just confusion with nomenclature. The horn balance on the control surfaces are also sometimes referred to as a "horn tab" as it performs the same function as a balance tab.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

indranilroy wrote:
JayS wrote:Question Indranil, does HTT-40 has a FCS in it or is it just manual control like some of those simpler GA planes??
I don't know. But let me dig around a little. I am pretty sure I can find out.
Sure: Flight controls on the HTT-40 are manual
Not sure but most likely: Mechanical

P.S. I have been recently reading about other turboprop trainers and am finding some interesting things.
1. It is most likely that the LGs, LG doors, airbrakes and flaps are the only hydraulically powered movables.
2. The flaps on these trainers do not have the fine settings of heavier aircraft. They typically have three settings: neutral, take off(25 degrees) and landing about 50 degrees. I think right now the HTT is working with the flaps set at neutral or at landing setting, giving that exaggerated deflection look while take off.
enaiel
BRFite

Post by enaiel »

* Lifted from keypub forums
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Air Force News and Discussion - 21 Sept 2015

Post by ramana »

X-Post....
SSridhar wrote:IAF airbases along western front on high alert, hold major air defence exercise - Rajat Pandit, ToI
IAF's premier operational command along the western front has gone on a high alert with a major exercise across all its 18 airbases and other installations from Srinagar to Bikaner, which comes amid heightened tensions with Pakistan in the aftermath of the terror attack on the Army camp in Uri.

The primary objective of "Exercise Talon" involving the crucial Western Air Command (WAC) is to "improve operational preparedness and air defence" in the entire stretch from J&K to Rajasthan, said defence sources on Monday.

Though the four-day war-games are largely defensive in nature, with combat air patrols and PAD-GD (passive air defence and ground defence) operations, it's significant that WAC had conducted a similar Talon exercise just about a week before the terror attack on the Uri Army camp on September 18.

Repeating the intensive manoeuvres within the same month is highly unusual, said sources
, adding that it showed that IAF was leaving nothing to chance at a time when Pakistan's F-16s and other fighters have been taking to the skies on a regular basis across the border, apart from practising landing on highways.

The Indian Army, of course, has been refining different contingency plans in conjunction with the IAF after the Uri attack to further synergise the integrated air-land fighting machinery, even as the force has also steadily upgraded its "readiness" all along the 778 km line of control with additional troops, "forward movement" of ammunition and fuel dumps and the like, as was earlier reported by TOI.

There have also been a flurry of top-level military meetings over the last one week among the different top commanders as well as detailed presentations to PM Narendra Modi, defence minister Manohar Parrikar and national security advisor Ajit Doval in the military operations directorate in South Block.

While WAC chief Air Marshal S B Deo has been visiting the different airbases under his command, chiefs of the Army's South-Western Command (Jaipur), Western Command (Chandimandir) and Northern Command (Udhampur) too have been reviewing their areas of responsibility.

Western Command chief Lt-General Surinder Singh, for instance, visited the Jammu-Pathankot region over the weekend to direct his commanders to "maintain a high order of operational preparedness and alertness".

Said a source, "All personnel have been told to be available at short notice."

As for the Talon exercise underway till September 30, IAF also continues to deploy Israeli unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) or spy drones to maintain "a constant surveillance" over all airbases ranging from Srinagar, Leh, Thoise, Awantipur to Ambala, Amritsar, Halwara and Nal.

"The exercise also involves camouflaging runways, moving aircraft to their blast pens and deploying decoys to prevent or minimize losses during enemy attacks. IAF's automated air defence network with a wide variety of radars and date links or the IACCS (integrated air command and control system) is also on a high alert,"
said a source.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

They need to review their dumb bomb fuzes to ensure they work. Most of the IAF bomb sorties in 1965 and 1971 wars had high dud rater due to British made inventory.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/ind ... -1.1402970
IAF plans for dedicated satellite on track; Sukhoi to fire BrahMos in 3 months
By Our Defence Correspondent

Bengaluru: The Indian Air Force (IAF) will soon have its own dedicated satellite to boost its operational capabilities. During a media interaction at the Aircraft and Systems Testing Establishment (ASTE) here, as a run up to the 84th IAF Day on October 8, Air Vice-Marshal Sandeep Singh said the plan is on the move.

While he refused to give too many details on the project, set to be executed by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), the ASTE Commandant said the process is on at IAF HQ towards having a dedicated satellite.

He said the availability of such a satellite, on the lines of Indian Navy (Rukmini from the GSAT series), would enhance IAF’s NCW (Network-Centric Warfare) capabilities. ”It certainly does increase the efficiency of our critical missions,” he said.

To a query on the use of Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS), AVM Sandeep Singh said the IAF will soon switch over to the desi GPS. He said the receivers for the purpose have been already made ready.

However, ISRO sources said that the project is yet to formally get a government nod, pointing that the IAF wait could be longer.

Saras project on road to revival

sarasThe 14-seater ambitious Saras project of National Aeronautics Limited (NAL) might see fair weather again with the government mulling a revival plan for the same. The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), that had almost shelved the plan, is on a rethink mode with additional funding in the pipeline.

As reported earlier, the funding for Saras project had dried up during UPA-2’s fag end putting the entire project into a spin. The project was already mired in overweight issues, a crash and a scathing CAG probe in a span of 11 years since its first flight in 2004.

ASTE had lost two Test Pilots and a Flight Test Engineer in the Saras crash in 2009. Now, the ASTE officials confirm the ‘revival plan,‘ having attended meeting(s) aimed at getting the platform back on air.

Sitara, the Intermediate Jet Trainer of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, is also on the ‘recovery mode’ after being in the ‘ICU’ for many years now. The project seems to have got a new impetus for its ‘spin and stall’ trials.

BrahMos test-firing from Sukhoi soon

iafOn the ongoing flight test programme of BrahMos supersonic missile being integrated on a modified Su30-MKI, ACM Sandeep said that advanced trials are in progress.

“We’ve already completed a dummy drop. The next step will be to test another parameter, before we fire the actual missile,” he said.

It was Wg Cdr Prashanth, a Test Pilot, and his buddy Wg Cdr M S Raju, a FTE, -- both from ASTE -- who had successfully carried out the first flight of Su-30MKI fitted with BrahMos on June 25 this year.

Interestingly, a PTI report quoted Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha saying today that the live missile would be fired in three months.

Tejas is best in its class; already in Hindon

iafThe top IAF pilot was all praise for the Light Combat Aircraft Tejas, which was inducted into the IAF on July 1.

During his briefing, the ASTE Commandant said that the Tejas Squadron members are already at AFS Hindon for the AF Parade on October 8.

“Two aircraft will be at Hindon this time with one more likely to join,” he said.

He said the runway upgradation work and other construction activities are already in full swing at Sulur, near Coimbatore.

“Initially the Squadron will operate from Bengaluru and the Sulur facilities will be ready in the next two years,” AVM Sandeep said. The progress of work at Sulur, which will be the home for Tejas Squadron, is being monitored by the Southern Air Command, headquartered at Thiruvananthapuram.

As reported by Mathrubhumi earlier, the IAF teams have already flown Tejas for over 30 hours in the last three months alone, post induction.

PMT heading to France to fine-tune Rafales

iafWith India completing most of the formalities to buy 36 Rafale jets from France, a Project Management Team (PMT) from IAF is preparing for yet another overseas stint. This, according to ASTE officials, is a procedure being undertaken whenever new aircraft are bought from abroad.

“The whole idea is to get the Rafales with India-specific characteristics, as being often termed. The PMT was part of the teams abroad during MiG-21\MiG-27 upgrades and ahead of Sukhoi induction as well,” AVM Sandeep Singh said.

According to him, the presence of the PMT with the Dassault would help to customise the finer features of the aircraft, as desired by the IAF.

“Our pilots have already have flown the Rafale during its evaluation trials. They could take our guidance (PMT) before finalising the draft documents. There are many more activities we would involve in the next couple of years before the aircraft start coming to India,” he said.

Can’t rule out women Test Pilots in future

iafWith the IAF opening up the fighter streams to women pilots recently, ASTE is not ruling out the possibility of having Test Pilots from the fairer sex as well, in future.

To a query whether women could qualify to be TPs in future, ASTE officials said that it is a probability, subject to many conditions.

“First of all they will have to get Permanent Commission. Then they will have to qualify for all the stringent procedures ahead of becoming a TP. It could happen. We are not ruling it out. They are welcome and we have no gender bias here,” says an official.

ACM Arup Raha speaking to Mathrubhumi at AFA Hyderabad in June this year, did not rule out the possibility of a woman fighter heading IAF in future.

“I cannot say no, because the probability is there. If they do well. Normally the Chiefs are from the flying branch. They (the three girls) are already in the flying branch. And, if and when they get Permanent Commission, then they definitely have a chance,” he had said.

His views were also echoed by Air Marshal S R K Nair, Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Headquarters Training Command. He had said that IAF is inclusive in all its activities giving equal opportunities to both men and women.

During the media visit on Tuesday, the ASTE also had organsied a flying and static display of some of its assets. Earlier, Chief Test Pilot Group Capt Subrato Chaki gave a rare insight into the activities of ASTE.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

^^^ The news about Saras and IJT made my day!!!
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

shiv wrote:http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/ind ... -1.1402970
IAF plans for dedicated satellite on track; Sukhoi to fire BrahMos in 3 months
By Our Defence Correspondent

Bengaluru: The Indian Air Force (IAF) will soon have its own dedicated satellite to boost its operational capabilities. During a media interaction at the Aircraft and Systems Testing Establishment (ASTE) here, as a run up to the 84th IAF Day on October 8, Air Vice-Marshal Sandeep Singh said the plan is on the move.

While he refused to give too many details on the project, set to be executed by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), the ASTE Commandant said the process is on at IAF HQ towards having a dedicated satellite.

He said the availability of such a satellite, on the lines of Indian Navy (Rukmini from the GSAT series), would enhance IAF’s NCW (Network-Centric Warfare) capabilities. ”It certainly does increase the efficiency of our critical missions,” he said.

To a query on the use of Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS), AVM Sandeep Singh said the IAF will soon switch over to the desi GPS. He said the receivers for the purpose have been already made ready.

However, ISRO sources said that the project is yet to formally get a government nod, pointing that the IAF wait could be longer.

Saras project on road to revival

sarasThe 14-seater ambitious Saras project of National Aeronautics Limited (NAL) might see fair weather again with the government mulling a revival plan for the same. The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), that had almost shelved the plan, is on a rethink mode with additional funding in the pipeline.

As reported earlier, the funding for Saras project had dried up during UPA-2’s fag end putting the entire project into a spin. The project was already mired in overweight issues, a crash and a scathing CAG probe in a span of 11 years since its first flight in 2004.

ASTE had lost two Test Pilots and a Flight Test Engineer in the Saras crash in 2009. Now, the ASTE officials confirm the ‘revival plan,‘ having attended meeting(s) aimed at getting the platform back on air.

Sitara, the Intermediate Jet Trainer of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, is also on the ‘recovery mode’ after being in the ‘ICU’ for many years now. The project seems to have got a new impetus for its ‘spin and stall’ trials.

BrahMos test-firing from Sukhoi soon

iafOn the ongoing flight test programme of BrahMos supersonic missile being integrated on a modified Su30-MKI, ACM Sandeep said that advanced trials are in progress.

“We’ve already completed a dummy drop. The next step will be to test another parameter, before we fire the actual missile,” he said.

It was Wg Cdr Prashanth, a Test Pilot, and his buddy Wg Cdr M S Raju, a FTE, -- both from ASTE -- who had successfully carried out the first flight of Su-30MKI fitted with BrahMos on June 25 this year.

Interestingly, a PTI report quoted Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha saying today that the live missile would be fired in three months.

Tejas is best in its class; already in Hindon

iafThe top IAF pilot was all praise for the Light Combat Aircraft Tejas, which was inducted into the IAF on July 1.

During his briefing, the ASTE Commandant said that the Tejas Squadron members are already at AFS Hindon for the AF Parade on October 8.

“Two aircraft will be at Hindon this time with one more likely to join,” he said.

He said the runway upgradation work and other construction activities are already in full swing at Sulur, near Coimbatore.

“Initially the Squadron will operate from Bengaluru and the Sulur facilities will be ready in the next two years,” AVM Sandeep said. The progress of work at Sulur, which will be the home for Tejas Squadron, is being monitored by the Southern Air Command, headquartered at Thiruvananthapuram.

As reported by Mathrubhumi earlier, the IAF teams have already flown Tejas for over 30 hours in the last three months alone, post induction.

PMT heading to France to fine-tune Rafales

iafWith India completing most of the formalities to buy 36 Rafale jets from France, a Project Management Team (PMT) from IAF is preparing for yet another overseas stint. This, according to ASTE officials, is a procedure being undertaken whenever new aircraft are bought from abroad.

“The whole idea is to get the Rafales with India-specific characteristics, as being often termed. The PMT was part of the teams abroad during MiG-21\MiG-27 upgrades and ahead of Sukhoi induction as well,” AVM Sandeep Singh said.

According to him, the presence of the PMT with the Dassault would help to customise the finer features of the aircraft, as desired by the IAF.

“Our pilots have already have flown the Rafale during its evaluation trials. They could take our guidance (PMT) before finalising the draft documents. There are many more activities we would involve in the next couple of years before the aircraft start coming to India,” he said.

Can’t rule out women Test Pilots in future

iafWith the IAF opening up the fighter streams to women pilots recently, ASTE is not ruling out the possibility of having Test Pilots from the fairer sex as well, in future.

To a query whether women could qualify to be TPs in future, ASTE officials said that it is a probability, subject to many conditions.

“First of all they will have to get Permanent Commission. Then they will have to qualify for all the stringent procedures ahead of becoming a TP. It could happen. We are not ruling it out. They are welcome and we have no gender bias here,” says an official.

ACM Arup Raha speaking to Mathrubhumi at AFA Hyderabad in June this year, did not rule out the possibility of a woman fighter heading IAF in future.

“I cannot say no, because the probability is there. If they do well. Normally the Chiefs are from the flying branch. They (the three girls) are already in the flying branch. And, if and when they get Permanent Commission, then they definitely have a chance,” he had said.

His views were also echoed by Air Marshal S R K Nair, Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Headquarters Training Command. He had said that IAF is inclusive in all its activities giving equal opportunities to both men and women.

During the media visit on Tuesday, the ASTE also had organsied a flying and static display of some of its assets. Earlier, Chief Test Pilot Group Capt Subrato Chaki gave a rare insight into the activities of ASTE.