Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion - June'14

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion - June'14

Post by Indranil »

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion - June'14

Post by Indranil »

More details of the SFDR missile (desi Meteor/R-77M-PD/RVV-AE-PD) being developed at DRDL from the tender for Manufacturing And Supply Of Ground Launcher.

1. SFDR is an Air to Air class of missile working on booster-ram jet sustainer propulsion system.
2. It is a technology demonstration vehicle to prove various technologies like: controlled ram jet propulsion system, chin mounted air intakes, nozzle less booster and boron based propellant with high burn rate.
3. The base line design for the SFDR vehicle is ASTRA missile.
4. The missile is required to be launched from pylon of the wing of aircraft which is underslung.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

:eek:
I have been dreaming of a truly long ranged desi AAM for years, seems someone in DRDO had the same dreams !

p.s SFDR stands for ?
p.p.s (solid fuel ducted ramjet) :oops:
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Rahul M wrote::eek:
I have been dreaming of a truly long ranged desi AAM for years, seems someone in DRDO had the same dreams !

p.s SFDR stands for ?
p.p.s (solid fuel ducted ramjet) :oops:
This project had been discussed once, like an year ago here on BRF. The work is being started at least two years ago, when I had heard about it for first time. A small company wanted to do some R&D type for DRDL on this and wanted someone who knows about Solid fuel combustion and I happened to have worked on it in past, for ducted rocket system only.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/ban ... 690793.ece
Parrikar to lay foundation for BEL’s missile complex

Bharat Electronics Ltd. on Friday announced that it was kick-starting the construction of what would be the country’s largest Defence Systems Integration Complex at Palasamudram in Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh.

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar is scheduled to lay the foundation stone for the 900-acre facility on September 30, the company said on Friday.

Rs. 500-cr. investment

BEL is investing Rs. 500 crore on the new complex over the next three to four years. The facility will be part of BEL’s Missile Systems Strategic Business Unit at Bengaluru and will meet the needs of building present and future missiles, BEL said.

Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu, senior representatives from the Ministry of Defence and the Government of Andhra Pradesh are expected to be present at the event.

BEL currently manufactures the DRDO-designed Akash surface-to-air missile for the IAF and the army.

Fully equipped

Explaining the need for a new complex, BEL said that at the time of integration, missiles are tested in a large area simulating a battlefield and with a host of radars, controls and launchers. These activities are now being done for Akash at the Bengaluru unit.

The facility will be equipped with automated guided vehicles and industrial robots. BEL also plans to create a Military Industrial Complex where small and medium sized industries will be housed and manufacture electronic components and equipment for upcoming defence projects.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

I thought BEL only manufactured the avionics and radar for the missile systems and BDL manufactured the actual missiles. Is that wrong ?
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Assembles IAF Akash units. BDL for army.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

indranilroy wrote:More details of the SFDR missile (desi Meteor/R-77M-PD/RVV-AE-PD) being developed at DRDL from the tender for Manufacturing And Supply Of Ground Launcher.

1. SFDR is an Air to Air class of missile working on booster-ram jet sustainer propulsion system.
2. It is a technology demonstration vehicle to prove various technologies like: controlled ram jet propulsion system, chin mounted air intakes, nozzle less booster and boron based propellant with high burn rate.
3. The base line design for the SFDR vehicle is ASTRA missile.
4. The missile is required to be launched from pylon of the wing of aircraft which is underslung.

Came here to post this onlee. From the earlier details, definitely looks like a desi meteor.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

since they only wanted a ground launcher, giving the missile weight , shape and connection points might have been sufficient,
what was the need for the ground launcher maker to know all these tender details?
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Singha wrote:since they only wanted a ground launcher, giving the missile weight , shape and connection points might have been sufficient,
what was the need for the ground launcher maker to know all these tender details?
I believe they are going to make a SAM out of it.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Singha wrote:since they only wanted a ground launcher, giving the missile weight , shape and connection points might have been sufficient,
Motto of DRDO is that everything must be in public domain! Announcing it is better than delivering.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Tender specifies the need of the static launcher.
The missile is required to be launched from the pylon of the wing of aircraft, which is umderslung. So to simulate the same conditions it is required to carry out the static flight trials from SFDR launcher. SFDR ground launcher is a static platform to launch SFDR, a state of art air-to-air missile to check the aerodynamic and control performance.

The launcher is a kind of a launcher having a 5300mm long guide rail in which the missile will slide before coming out of the launcher. The guide rail is fixed downward to a launch beam and takes the load of the missile through three shoes fixed to the missile
JTull wrote: Motto of DRDO is that everything must be in public domain! Announcing it is better than delivering.
Come on JTull.

Firstly, you are coming to know about it (for the first time) when it is about to be tested. It has been in the works for years now. I know its engine was developed and tested at least an year back. Did you know? In contrast, for how long have you known that Meteor existed before its first test?

Secondly, all we know is that DRDL is also working on a SFDR, an LFRJ and a NGARM, and that the NGARM and SFDR project are colocated. You think this is a secret?

Thirdly, this information is for those who need to know. You and me are nobodys in this game. For those who matter, this level of technical details are given on any given day. What DRDO might signal is its level of readiness.

Fourthly, all of us want DRDO to delegate work to the private industry. DRDO does not want this tendering process. They have categorically said that it slows them down. But, it is MoDs wish given the need for transparency. So if you need to change the model, ask MoD, not DRDO.
The fabrication of the launcher for meeting the functional requirement is critical. The guide rail and launch beam fabrication , assembly of components, welding of sub-assemblies is challenging. This document gives details of material specifications, standards followed, and fabrication requirements.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

I read the tender and I didn't see any state secretes leaked in it.
Anyhow, our guys are less than professional in this tendering tamasha. They do have vendor registry and all. They can share stuff privately to only registered vendors while publicly only publishing news about such as such tender opening - please contact for more details. On the other hand it takes about an years, that too with right contacts, to get yourself registered as vendor, last time I checked. So that would hamper chances of new willing vendor.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

@indranilroy, are you able to list such details of all missiles China or even democratic US are developing? Just because we know doesn't mean we need to know anything beyond the existence of such a missile. Annual progress report from DRDO is sufficient. Get capable private contractors on board by pre-qualifying them and then share only with them behind the scenes. In UK even individual contractors have specific security clearances to work on sensitive projects (remember the missile test contract photographer saga from last year?). I've never seen this kind of bullshit. And the democratic press and jingoes are not demanding to know either.
Last edited by JTull on 06 Oct 2015 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

what the Indian state wants to keep secret stays that away.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Rahul M wrote:what the Indian state wants to keep secret stays that away.
Agree, on secrets from general public, but I'm not so sure about people who have special interests. Dilli is very porous and every ministry has big holes (though some holes were plugged last year). Best case is when details are kept at local centres.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

JTull wrote:@indranilroy, are you able to list such details of all missiles China or even democratic US are developing? Just because we know doesn't mean we need to know anything beyond the existence of such a missile. Annual progress report from DRDO is sufficient. Get capable private contractors on board by pre-qualifying them and then share only with them behind the scenes. In UK even individual contractors have specific security clearances to work on sensitive projects (remember the missile test contract photographer saga from last year?). I've never seen this kind of bullshit. And the democratic press and jingoes are not demanding to know either.
You are mistaken.

The US puts out 10x the amount of data India does. They are even sharing KPPs albeit sanitized to a degree.
https://ericpalmer.files.wordpress.com/ ... 79aesa.pdf

But then again, given the scale at which they operate, it doesn't matter.

China is going to the extent of leaking pictures of their so called secret programs. That's for internal consumption and external messaging. China strong.

There is an issue here wherein on the one hand DRDO etc are widely cursed for doing nothing. Or giving meaningless high level statements. When they do give details, there are concerns that they are leaking info. TBH, the time has come wherein they should provide regular progress updates on key programs. Its not like the babus elsewhere haven't been leaking things away in the past.

At the same time, they should have a dedicated media management cell beyond the current limited PRO setup which also inspects and sanitizes info which the lay public doesn't need.

In the above SFDR, I don't see any sensitive info per se.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

indranilroy wrote:Firstly, you are coming to know about it (for the first time) when it is about to be tested. It has been in the works for years now. I know its engine was developed and tested at least an year back. Did you know? In contrast, for how long have you known that Meteor existed before its first test?
Is this known for a fact? In your opinion, how soon is the first test likely to take place? Also, what does this mean for the Astra Mk2, which is nowhere near fruition AFAIK and would likely be superseded by this system?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

this product will be more expensive than just a dual-pulse solid fuel motor of the astra mk2. so both are likely to be needed, the astra's in greater volume to contain cost.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Seriously, I want to know what secrets have been "leaked" by this tender. I am really intrigued. Details of a static launcher!!!
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Viv S wrote:Is this known for a fact? In your opinion, how soon is the first test likely to take place? Also, what does this mean for the Astra Mk2, which is nowhere near fruition AFAIK and would likely be superseded by this system?
I'd sure like to see the details behind that assertion? In all likelihood, Astra Mk2 is next in line after the baseline Astra gets cleared for production.
Thakur_B
BRF Oldie

Post by Thakur_B »

Viv S wrote:
indranilroy wrote:Firstly, you are coming to know about it (for the first time) when it is about to be tested. It has been in the works for years now. I know its engine was developed and tested at least an year back. Did you know? In contrast, for how long have you known that Meteor existed before its first test?
Is this known for a fact? In your opinion, how soon is the first test likely to take place? Also, what does this mean for the Astra Mk2, which is nowhere near fruition AFAIK and would likely be superseded by this system?
Viv ji, the world is split over Ramjet Vs Dual pulse for next generation AAMs. Amrikis have opted for dual pulse, Europeans have opted for ramjet. This is a demo program and if tested in time may provide an alternate route to Astra Mk2. A lot of Astra Mk2 basics have been already proven in the Barak-8/LRSAM interceptor (pulse reignition, alternation of boost and coast flight profile, maintaining flight path for optimum energy retention and pulse separation). SFDR is Houri territory for us, we need to get some basic data to chose our own path.

The tender for missile parts was floated a long time back and discussed on BRF as well, and a tender for launcher implies flight tests cannot be that far away.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Karan M wrote:I'd sure like to see the details behind that assertion? In all likelihood, Astra Mk2 is next in line after the baseline Astra gets cleared for production.
The Astra Mk1 is still at least an year away from deployment. It was first tested in 2003. Even allowing for a much shorter development cycle for the Mk2, its still a fairly long way off from service (no earlier than 2020 by my guess).

Point being, if a new ramjet missile is shortly due for testing, in all likelihood it will be fielded in the same, or at least similar, time-frame as the Astra Mk2. And given its likely superior capability, the Astra Mk2 may end up becoming redundant.

Unless of course, the current research/testing is still focused on developing basic technological building blocks (demonstration phase) for a ramjet weapon rather than towards a fieldable weapon system.
Viv S
BRF Oldie

Post by Viv S »

Thakur_B wrote:Viv ji, the world is split over Ramjet Vs Dual pulse for next generation AAMs. Amrikis have opted for dual pulse, Europeans have opted for ramjet. This is a demo program and if tested in time may provide an alternate route to Astra Mk2. A lot of Astra Mk2 basics have been already proven in the Barak-8/LRSAM interceptor (pulse reignition, alternation of boost and coast flight profile, maintaining flight path for optimum energy retention and pulse separation). SFDR is Houri territory for us, we need to get some basic data to chose our own path.
Just 'Viv' please (though I've been known to respond to 'oye!' and 'abe o!' as well). :)

The Europeans are going whole hog with the Meteor. Also, from what I can tell the US is also going with a ramjet program (ref: DARPA - T3 demonstrator) for its AMRAAM-replacement (the Aim-120D uses the same single pulse motor as the C7). AFAIK its the Russians who've opted for a dual-pulse motor for the PAK FA's K-77M. Reportedly, the new Chinese PL-15 fields that too. However, none of them are likely to produce more than one type concurrently.

For India/DRDO too, ramjet is the future. Its just that I still expected it to be a long way off, and was (pleasantly) surprised to hear about an impending test. But, yes a demo phase does make sense.
The tender for missile parts was floated a long time back and discussed on BRF as well, and a tender for launcher implies flight tests cannot be that far away.
Days? Months? Years?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Viv,

That is the thing. We don't know. Status of Mk2, not known. Status of SFDR, not known. Are they competing or complimentary, not known!

All that one can say is that Mk2 is much further down the component testing phase than this SFDR design. I do not know the about the Mk2. But the first test flight of the SFDR is probably a year to an year and half away.

Basically, DRDL now has reached critical mass. They have most of the airframe and propulsion components. They are now scaling up or down, mixing and matching and coming up with new designs. Prahaar is an example. This SFDR is on the Astra Mk2 airframe. I can imagine this will surely become a medium-range SAM with the booster. I think the NGARM shares the airframe with the LRSAM. We know that there is yet another solid fueled ramjet project and a liquid fueled ramjet project possibly utilizing the Akash airframe. I would not be surprised if they suddenly tell us of a very long range AWACs-killer missile.

Actually, now that I know that they have the long-range end of the spectrum well covered, I would love to come across news of the lower end of the spectrum. May be adapt the Maitri missile for a short range AAM. And go even smaller for a cheap Stinger-equivalent missile to be shoulder launched, or added with a booster to be launched from Kestrel based platform or even helicopters against UAVs.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Viv S wrote:
Karan M wrote:I'd sure like to see the details behind that assertion? In all likelihood, Astra Mk2 is next in line after the baseline Astra gets cleared for production.
The Astra Mk1 is still at least an year away from deployment. It was first tested in 2003.
The 2003 date is irrelevant. If you see the program, the entire missile had to be redesigned but it was, and successfully. Subsystems had to be designed but they are available now. Next, the two pulse motor is on the LRSAM. Building blocks now exist. But a price has to be paid for taking up something of this nature for the first time & we have overcome those hurdles.
Even allowing for a much shorter development cycle for the Mk2, its still a fairly long way off from service (no earlier than 2020 by my guess).
That would be a guess. There are reports stating the Astra Mk2 will be a minimal redesign of the Mk1 with more range, basically keep as much of the Astra Mk1 as possible bar the motor and some software tweaks.
Point being, if a new ramjet missile is shortly due for testing, in all likelihood it will be fielded in the same, or at least similar, time-frame as the Astra Mk2. And given its likely superior capability, the Astra Mk2 may end up becoming redundant.
Take a look at the cost of the SFDR equivalent, the Meteor, versus simpler designs. Its a gold plated solution. IOW, the SFDR derivative for us may be useful for extreme long range shots against high value targets like AEW&C but unaffordable for mass deployment in the thousands. We'll probably take a few hundred SFDR type missiles but an Astra Mk2 is what will be bulk deployed.. the Israelis have come to a similar conclusion and are proposing Stunner derivatives for A2A.
Unless of course, the current research/testing is still focused on developing basic technological building blocks (demonstration phase) for a ramjet weapon rather than towards a fieldable weapon system.
That's like saying if one has Agni-1 what's the point of having a Pragati or a Prithvi, since a missile that can go upto 600 odd km can surely take out targets at 100 odd km too or 300 odd km. But it becomes un-affordable even keeping the strategic/non strategic bits apart.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

I-Derby ER gives an insight into Astra Mk2 and similar systems
http://aviationweek.com/paris-air-show- ... formance-0
The new seeker is lighter and more compact than its predecessor, thus clearing valuable space which has been used by the missile designers to increase the propulsion system by adding a second mode (kick), accelerating the missile at the terminal phase of the flight. This new addition increases the range of the I-Derby ER beyond 100 km., significantly more than its current “short/medium” range capability.

This “second kick” greatly improves the missile’s performance. “This phase is not serial, but operates independently of the primary rocket propulsion as it is activated at any time during the fight, by the flight control system.” Yaniv explains. The second pulse would likely kick in when the missile is closing on its target, accelerating it and increasing its kinematic envelope, thus increasing its “no escape zone”.

RAFAEL claims it will be able to deliver 80% of the Meteor’s performance at a third of its cost. It is also superior to the AIM-120C7 and more affordable, the company claims. Already cleared on F-16 (Block 52), F-5E, Kfir and Sea Harrier, I-Derby ER integration tests are currently under way on the Indian Tejas LCA.

In all likelihood the Astra Mk2 would be cheaper than a Derby-ER. And our SFDR will have all the same components but a more expensive propulsion.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Karan M wrote:
Take a look at the cost of the SFDR equivalent, the Meteor, versus simpler designs. Its a gold plated solution. IOW, the SFDR derivative for us may be useful for extreme long range shots against high value targets like AEW&C but unaffordable for mass deployment in the thousands. We'll probably take a few hundred SFDR type missiles but an Astra Mk2 is what will be bulk deployed.. the Israelis have come to a similar conclusion and are proposing Stunner derivatives for A2A.
Very likely. Solid fuel Ramjet motor (Ducted rocket) brings best of both worlds - solid fuel and liquid motor. You can throttle for variable thrust like liquid ramjet motor. With that you get awesome energy density of solid fuel - particularly when its mixed with 30% Boron. Boron is literally the highest energy density material (weight and volume considered together). It gives additional punch. You can have longer burn rates than conventional rocket motors or liquid ramjets. Albeit its tougher technology to master. But you can have faster missile with much longer range with thrust power all the while.

Its a good think that DRDO is developing competancy in it. I think once mastered some of the solid propulsion building blocks could be used in Direction and Attitude Control System (DACS) for kinetic kill vehicle of exo atmospheric ABMS.

BTW anyone has any idea about out tech status on DACS?? Do we have it?? Are we working on it??
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Given the tortured history of Meteor, I think this will take another decade to mature.
Meanwhile hopefully Astra Mk2 will hold the fort.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

The biggest challenge with a VFDR is to get this to be more like this ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dAmfVlcbp4
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Interesting discussion, but I think that the SF DR, could be mated to the Astra as a propulsion unit and the weapon will become mk2. No.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Pratyush wrote:Interesting discussion, but I think that the SF DR, could be mated to the Astra as a propulsion unit and the weapon will become mk2. No.
Why delay Astra MK2 for want of unproven technology saar?? We have mature product base already in MK1, its only logical to extend from there. By that time SFDR becomes deployable we may see even MK3 for Astra.

As has been mentioned already here, its a more challenging technology than conventional rocket or liquid ramjet motor. And it will take some time for DRDO to master it. As few pointers, the throttle control of the solid gas generator has quite complicated physics which gives out mathematical equations which have non-minimum phase behavior, or in engineering terms, when you want one parameter to go one way, it first goes the opposite way rapidly and then slowly comes to the intended direction. It needs some hacking to get it work. Similarly Making Boron combust efficiently in the matter of microseconds is tough. Boron particle does not even start burning until after ~1600K and after that as well it has complicated 2 stage combustion mechanism. Basically the combustion chamber design becomes even more complex due to Boron particles.
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Wasn't there supposed to be a missile test last week ? I don't seem to recall any news.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

It is super positive news that we have three different programs at various stages of development being Astra-1, Astra-2, Astra-RJ which means we have plans upto 15-25 years into the future for R&D. I think Astra-1 will be produced between 2018-22, Astra-2 between 2023-30 followed by Astra-RJ, say between 2028-2035. We will need something like 3000-6000 AAMs in this category.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

srin wrote:Wasn't there supposed to be a missile test last week ? I don't seem to recall any news.
You mean the Nirbhay test which @SJha twitted about?? It is postponed till late Oct, i think, as per his later tweet.
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

No Agni-4 test now nirbhay getting postponed. Not sure everything is ok at DRDO.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

DRDO has built up very good competencies as regards missiles .. conception to production in less than 7 years according to its head .. quite possible that the desi Meteor enters trial stage in a few years.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

The Europeans are going whole hog with the Meteor. Also, from what I can tell the US is also going with a ramjet program (ref: DARPA - T3 demonstrator) for its AMRAAM-replacement (the Aim-120D uses the same single pulse motor as the C7). AFAIK its the Russians who've opted for a dual-pulse motor for the PAK FA's K-77M. Reportedly, the new Chinese PL-15 fields that too. However, none of them are likely to produce more than one type concurrently
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7088&p=1913105#p1913105
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

kit wrote:DRDO has built up very good competencies as regards missiles .. conception to production in less than 7 years according to its head .. quite possible that the desi Meteor enters trial stage in a few years.
That has been achieved for some programs, though not all. There is a resource and funding crunch at DRDO appearances apart, hence the open appeal by Christopher to the RM at the recent awards event. This Meteor is years away IMHO. The Astra needs to enter service first, quickly followed by the Mk2 to meet immediate needs. A lot depends on how this SFDR motor performs in the trials.