Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion - June'14

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Missiles and Munitions Discussion - June'14

Post by Indranil »

Rout's sources are legitimate and from within ITR. Obviously, he/she has his/her opinion, which is okay. His glee/contempt is from being right in his reporting. Personally, although I don't prefer it, I can tolerate it.

Nothing to worry. It was a TEST. It failed, big deal!
akashganga
BRFite

Post by akashganga »

indranilroy wrote:Rout's sources are legitimate and from within ITR. Obviously, he/she has his/her opinion, which is okay. His glee/contempt is from being right in his reporting. Personally, although I don't prefer it, I can tolerate it.

Nothing to worry. It was a TEST. It failed, big deal!
Congratulations DRDO for nirbhay test. Failure is opportunity to learn from mistake and improve. I am sure we will see next nirbhay test soon. cheers.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think DRDO is ignoring lateral acceleration qualification for the RLG. Agreed axial or longitudinal acceleration is primary load, but when you have way-point turns/changes, the RLG gets high lateral accelerations. Not as much as Agni RV but still significant. ESSS of fuel tank could not be the cause.

So Rout and his source can pound sand.

Also advice to source. If you have issues bring up to your management not to reporters.
Or resign.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

At face value it looks like core issue found during first test flight was not completely fixed.

Or maybe due to lack of continuous GPS input, INS could not correct its position error over time and drifted.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

indranilroy wrote:Rout's sources are legitimate and from within ITR. Obviously, he/she has his/her opinion, which is okay. His glee/contempt is from being right in his reporting. Personally, although I don't prefer it, I can tolerate it.
Its not about being right alone. Its about making news. He made up a lot of stuff about Akash as well. Turned out later he was cooking up stuff.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Sid wrote:At face value it looks like core issue found during first test flight was not completely fixed.

Or maybe due to lack of continuous GPS input, INS could not correct its position error over time and drifted.
One issue with DRDO's testing methods is that to save cost, they qualify a lot of new stuff in each flight (more with less). Which means risk/flight goes up despite all the ground based testing.

This test failure (IMHO) is no big deal. Million $ question is the engine and its localization.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

IIRC Russian Club series also had a problem about getting lost. Anyway test is a "test"!
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

ramana wrote: Also advice to source. If you have issues bring up to your management not to reporters.
Or resign.
Absolutely, exactly my thought.

A more well-written article, where a journalist expresses the facts, and let's the reader draw his/her conclusions.
Nirbhay missile fails; mission aborted after 700 seconds of flight
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

That One India article is like a breath of fresh air, factual, zero sensationalism and objective!!
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

It's our very own Tarmak007.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Does Nirbhay only uses GPS/INS combo or there is more to its nav system?
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Ramana Garu: Rout covered his ass by stating 2 things from his DRDO leak

(1) Weld performance under stress: agree with you. That's not the root cause
(2) Flight control software wasn't independently tested: that *could* be related to the root cause

Only a low level douche like Rout would feel happiness that the test failed because he could claim "I told you so". DRDO needs to crack the whip on the leak source. I am sure the insiders know who is talking to Rout.

You are spot on: if a disgruntled DRDO scientist leaks to media rather than work with his team, he needs to be let go or demoted.

Indranil/Karan: though Tarmak's report is better than Rout's, it has the same rudaali about how how this is a *litmus test* blah blah blah. See quotes below. I expected better from him
The third test was critical for DRDO's top brass, who are put under the scanner :roll: by the Modi government during the last one year.

The missile makers at ADE too were under pressure, making the Nirbhay test results extremely crucial
Today's failure will certainly be a bolt to ADE
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Give some elbow-room yaar! Their can be more PoVs than one!
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

PK saar, above is somewhat unavoidable. If ADE has consistent issues then the DRDO leadership will hold them accountable and the top brass are definitely under some pressure (like all brass in GOI currently are) so one can live with such minor stuff. At least he didn't do the mega-rudali and glee-nautanki like Rout.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

India forget elbow room, the media has the palace to themselves and the people of india are their bonded labor forced to listen to their every whim and fancy..
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

In tarmak's report
During the turn towards the second way point in azimuth plane, Nirbhay developed a snag and lost its control and fell within the notified area.
Waypoint turn induces lateral accelerations on the guidance system. Looks like first flight issues not completely resolved.

I don't see what else DRDO top brass can do!

Most reviews go:
Did you do everything you know off?
Yes saar.
then, ready for flight.

---

My saying:
"You don't know what you don't know till you know!"
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Prem Kumar, Agree knives are out! Read the complete para after bolt to ADE.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

modi must explain
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

Gyan wrote:IIRC Russian Club series also had a problem about getting lost. Anyway test is a "test"!
Off topic but that has not been confirmed by anyone incl nato other than supposed anonymous source in pentagon. And considering how iranians and kurds have tweeted videoes of missile flying through their area there are no images of crash.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

John wrote:
Gyan wrote:IIRC Russian Club series also had a problem about getting lost. Anyway test is a "test"!
Off topic but that has not been confirmed by anyone incl nato other than supposed anonymous source in pentagon. And considering how iranians and kurds have tweeted videoes of missile flying through their area there are no images of crash.
modi must explain that too
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Screengrab from a book called "Death by Moderation". read the last para
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

Failures by themselves would not be worrying. What is worrying is the slow rate of testing: 1 per year. Each critical missile system in development like Agni-5, K-4 and nirbhay should undergo at least 3 tests per year. Inducted systems like Agni-I-IV must have 1-2 tests a year at the mimimum.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramdas wrote:Failures by themselves would not be worrying. What is worrying is the slow rate of testing: 1 per year. Each critical missile system in development like Agni-5, K-4 and nirbhay should undergo at least 3 tests per year. Inducted systems like Agni-I-IV must have 1-2 tests a year at the mimimum.
This has been a complaint on BRF for the last 15 years. In the early days the complaint was that Prithvi missiles were not being tested often enough. What we do not see is the analyses and testing of subcomponents. it is only when the entire system is tested and they choose to publicize it that we see it.

Let me state another suspicion I have - just a hunch and maybe I am wrong. This Nirbhay test was given great publicity. Not only was it given publicity it seems that information has been leaked that it was a hasty and ill prepared test. It almost looks like an invitation for observers to watch out for it. And guess what - there is also a quiet announcement that Arihant was to test fire a missile. It is possible that this test was a cover for some other test? I don't know. Rout may be a DRDO tool. Everyone is looking at Odisha whlle something else happens near Antarctica?

I keep mentioning that I read this great book on Indian Navy Foxtrot Submarines by a Commodore Franklin. One story in that book is how the sub stealthily positioned itself in a restricted area of ocean when there was intelligence information that a certain country in the neighbourhood was going to test a missile. The sub was to watch and record something related to that missile test. No further details are given other than that the desired recordings were obtained.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

ramdas wrote:Failures by themselves would not be worrying. What is worrying is the slow rate of testing: 1 per year. Each critical missile system in development like Agni-5, K-4 and nirbhay should undergo at least 3 tests per year. Inducted systems like Agni-I-IV must have 1-2 tests a year at the mimimum.
Yes, extremely slow rate of testing. But to be fair, DRDO is short of funds and man-power. In past 5 years there has been only one significant recruitment I have seen (200 odd jobs), The SET is suspended since 2009 IIRC. Reportedly UPA froze all the recruitments and there are vacancies of over 2000 scientists to be filled. I was in fact expecting some serious recruitment after Modi came to power. But it ain't happening. DRDO head recently publicly requested more funds as well.

SJha tweeted about down morale in DRDO due to handling of Avinash Chander sacking issue. Don't know how true is this. But the sacking was indeed very abrupt and unexpected.

Some serious money needs to be thrown in R&D. I think DRDO should start some publicity campaign like our armed forces have started for attracting good talent. A good NatGeo style documentary series on DRDO programs would be nice PR for starter.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

I suppose DRDO needs to a better job at retaining people ..seems like quite a few are leaving..one can imagine what that can do in middle of a program !
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Arun Menon wrote:^Anyway, not much reason to worry about Nirbhay, because natashas can't hawk a alternative due to its 1000 km plus range. Right?
Sorry to break this story or CT, since you asked, (for those who sees things as only black and white may take this as outlandish)

You know JV starting with B and ending with S known as joint partnership with India and Russia and as a model for other projects to follow.

For long there is a requirement for B...S with reduced weight. Fulfilling that requirement crawled to the prospects of what is know as B...S -A with limited scope. While other variants were maturing at break-neck speed, it just crawled.

When the coalescing and aggregating happened that came out as Nir-b from our desi stable for the requirement above mentioned, it threatened the prospects of B...S monopoly & strangle hold it had on us.
Nir-b can be highly flexible with more scope, can be launched from any platform ( both sky or undersea ) without modification to the platform. So came B...S-M , M for mini with less weight and size. As you see, it is reported to do the same as what Nir-b planning to do. You can often see, this -M getting reported along with Nir-b. Well, what we know about natashas or black lentils....

Another similar incident, late pres with K went with his pet theme of missile returning to base to B...S. That received a rebuke how that it will not materialize. Our stable carried out testing on this theme on their own. Once there is enough aggregate on that front, B...S did a u-turn :) and mentioned B...S-II can also do a u-turn :) :).

Speaking of natashas, anything can happen!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

two thoughts in para causes confusion.

Why do we flight test?

Development programs:

- Vehicle integration : sub-systems ground test is not enough. Requires quite a few trajectories.
- New sub-systems on existing vehicles : guidance, RV, control actuators etc.

So need time between tests to evaluate and make changes.

3 successful tests of same flight path will establish confidence. Heck even one if all parameters are nominal with no one sigma deviations along the way.

Deployed systems tests
- SFC personnel practice
- Unearth hidden issues
- RV and fuze functioning Note its same RV system for all.
- Political chain of command

Recall its second strike system and doesn't need that much practice.

So do we need so many tests as you want?

I think you want a political message of strong India.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

^^ramana expressed that well

After an accident or failure a lot of time must be spent analysing the possible causes. Simply testing again and hoping for the best is useless. It may take 6 months to analyse the data and simulate all that can be simulated without a test flight.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

John wrote:
I was referring to failed tests at the time we placed an order for such missiles for our subs.
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

Also quite a few tests are not revealed to the mango population. Remember how k-15 was tested 10+ times before the much publicised underwater pontoon launch? There were barely 3 or 4 test flights known to public till then.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

One year for full understanding and fixing root cause. First 3 months for identifying.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

Ramanaji,

I agree evaluation has to be done between tests. Even granting this, our rate of development testing is slow. Compare the Agni-V and PRC DF-41 programs. A-V started testing in April 2012. DF-41 in July 2012. They have had 4 DF-41 tests till now: two in the last year. We have had only 3 A-V tests, with a 16-17 month gap between tests. Note that DF-41 is a MIRVed ICBM as well. Their DF-31 now routinely undergoes 3 tests a year.

Testing is important to fully operationalize the deterrent. A launch during war is different from a launch in tame conditions like the space launches in Shriharikota. The initial dev. tests in Wheeler island are in tame conditions. For deterrence, we need that a system, say Agni-V can be launched by the armed forces without DRDO personnel monitoring every step. Such a system should be capable of launch under a variety of conditions. For this, 3 launches a year are required at least in the first few years after completion of a sequence of 3 successful dev. tests. This would also help identify flaws in the production process/quality control and iron out such issues of they arise.

Note that the Trident II still undergoes at least 4 tests a year. During development, it underwent over 25 launches. The first 17 or so from land were successful and then there was a series of sea launches, the first few of which failed. The defects were identified and ironed out easily. The whole process from start to operationalization took them 3 years. Testing was roughly done once a month. If a handful of tests were sufficient, why this rigor ?
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

Ramanaji,

I agree evaluation has to be done between tests. Even granting this, our rate of development testing is slow. Compare the Agni-V and PRC DF-41 programs. A-V started testing in April 2012. DF-41 in July 2012. They have had 4 DF-41 tests till now: two in the last year. We have had only 3 A-V tests, with a 16-17 month gap between tests. Note that DF-41 is a MIRVed ICBM as well. Their DF-31 now routinely undergoes 3 tests a year.

Testing is important to fully operationalize the deterrent. A launch during war is different from a launch in tame conditions like the space launches in Shriharikota. The initial dev. tests in Wheeler island are in tame conditions. For deterrence, we need that a system, say Agni-V can be launched by the armed forces without DRDO personnel monitoring every step. Such a system should be capable of launch under a variety of conditions. For this, 3 launches a year are required at least in the first few years after completion of a sequence of 3 successful dev. tests. This would also help identify flaws in the production process/quality control and iron out such issues of they arise.

Note that the Trident II still undergoes at least 4 tests a year. During development, it underwent over 25 launches. The first 17 or so from land were successful and then there was a series of sea launches, the first few of which failed. The defects were identified and ironed out easily. The whole process from start to operationalization took them 3 years. Testing was roughly done once a month. If a handful of tests were sufficient, why this rigor ?
MN Kumar
BRFite

Post by MN Kumar »

Offtopic.
Went to a well-known and old Punjabi hotel in town with friends last night. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Dr.Avinash Chander standing at the bill counter. Surprised at the humbleness as he himself came to take a parcel. Went and wished him. Had to curb my anxiety of asking questions as it wasnt the proper.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramdas wrote:If a handful of tests were sufficient, why this rigor ?
Maybe we are just that much behind China and the US in terms of technology, manpower and funding? That's not so difficult to understand is it? We may still be in the process of developing capability which is denied to us but available to the club members.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

shiv wrote:
ramdas wrote:If a handful of tests were sufficient, why this rigor ?
Maybe we are just that much behind China and the US in terms of technology, manpower and funding? That's not so difficult to understand is it? We may still be in the process of developing capability which is denied to us but available to the club members.
true .. china has quite a few parallel programs running on in UAVs and cruise missiles
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Well
Time to start exporting a few missiles. MTCR fellows will come around.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

find the nearest customer near italy and sell them agni-I. at a discount.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

:rotfl:

Only matter of time before the fading powers tuck their tails between their legs.They will have little relevance even if they want to have a say.