LCA Tejas: News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA Tejas: News and Discussions

Post by SaiK »

Great post shivji. Thank you
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Another point to note. In Bahrain Tejas is airborne in 10 seconds after brakes off - compare that with the video below where the Tejas is airborne after 13 sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q5-yqJV3xE

Admittedly the denser air in Bahrain may be partly responsible, but the difference is clear.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

shiv wrote: The top of loop starting at 8:55 reached in 8 sec - Compare that with my video linked below starting approx 59 sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXT3ob1xDqg
On second thoughts - the top of loop in Bahrain is reached in under 8 sec. I suspect this is simply a software change that allows the pilot to pitch up the AoA more than was possible in earlier displays. He pitches up, climbs, pitches "up" again to reach the top of loop and go inverted.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

Our DDM except mathrubhumi and one India , zee news did not report about the successfull demo of tejas at Bahrain which is but quite acceptable from our paid media. This is how national achievements are sidelined to propagate agendas of their paymasters.
Last edited by shaun on 22 Jan 2016 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

marketing video of the FA50 . it has integrated with the wide family of US munitions so superior A2G suite at present , but in A2A I do not see this thing standing up to a tejas with 2032/52 + astra/derby/py5

it has GE404 engine and being modelled on the F-16 shape is quite agile..here the lighter T-50 in singapore

shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha why are you giving publicity to other aircraft in Tejas thread?
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Shaun wrote:Our DDM except mathrubhumi and one India , zee news did not report about the successfull demo of tejas at Bahrain which is but quite acceptable from our paid media. This is how national achievements are sidelined to propagate agendas of their paymasters.
They are probably struggling to find criticisms after this display. Even the firangi commentator said good things! Give it a few days and they will come up with complaints. For now, lets rejoice an amazing Indian achievement! :D
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

It is better that the general media do not report this. They understand nothing and will not be able to say anything intelligent or positive.
rahul_r
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rahul_r »

Almost had tears in my eyes watching that incredible display. God bless all those that toiled years to get the LCA to this point!

Noticed the drag chute wasn't deployed once the plane landed. Most of the other videos of the LCA floating around show the drag chutes being deployed.

Would also like to see the reactions of the folks on the unmentionable forum... :mrgreen:
member_26011
BRFite

Post by member_26011 »

Jai Hind gents. Fantastic show. Tight turns, indeed!
sharp, sharp routine!
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

shiv wrote:It is better that the general media do not report this. They understand nothing and will not be able to say anything intelligent or positive.
Yet they'll say it regardless.
Zynda
BRF Oldie

Post by Zynda »

Given a long enough runway and no pressure to get off the main runway, planes can slow down with a combination of braking, spoilers & friction. I think thats what Tejas did. Tejas was the last plane to take to the air before the afternoon break. No pressure to get off the runway.

Many moons ago, when I flew to BLR on Emirates, the aircraft was A330-200 and it did not use thrust reverses to slow down on airport runway. Similarly, the same plane did not thrust reverses on Dubai runway as well (it did land at something like 4:00 in the morning in DXB). But the 777 which landed in a crowded massa airport at peak daylight, did use thrust reverses to slow down and get off the runway as quickly as possible.
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

Awesome display for the Tejas, if this bird is going to shed more weight from here with the same engine, t/w is more than sufficient bring a broad grin on any Indian pilot's face.

Now that we have shown the world the wonder that LCA is, it is better if they concentrate on the FOC and churning out numbers fast. Exports can wait. French had to wait so many years for Rafale to find an export on the ground (bandars are waiting too, doesnt mean they will get any customers). We have to press on with the Tejas.

For all these reported numbers (120) in media it would be great if we hear news about actual orders been placed for X,Y,Z more engines from GE, radars from Israel, or radome from Cohbalm etc with precise delivery dates. Will give a lot of confidence that minimum numbers are cast in stone, production planning is complete @HAL and procurement has started. This will also be a test for MoD in terms of cutting red tape and speed up decisions.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

from Livefist twitter handle

“A moment later Jonathan’s body wavered in the air, shimmering, and began to go transparent. “Don’t let them spread silly rumors about me, or make me a god. O.K., Fletch? I’m a seagull. I like to fly, maybe…”
― Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

Is it my turn now? No? How about now?

First of all, the routine is not original, it is copied move for move. After 23 years they have not come up with any indigeneous moves. Secondly, they did not do the cobra. As australian defense analyst kopp has noted on numerous times, su27 can do the cobra. so when you are over sourh china sea, and the su27 does the cobra where are you? High and dry, thats where.

They are flying it last. If JF17 had been flying, it would have ranked ahead of LCA. Why last? Because if the brakes catch fire, then it would not shut down the show.

Also, most of the time there is smoke coming out. Some times there is even fire visible to even the naked eye. As any steam engine driver will tell you, even steel will melt if fire stays on too long. What does it say for maintenance?

Everyone is watching the F22s. Real planes dont just fly one eggjamapple. They have two fly together. It is called a buddy or sidekick system. Even in bahrain, two F22s are flying. LCA? Only one dares to take off at a time. Who is watching its back? To see if the fire is lit or not? Nobody.

Finally, there is so much shake in the video as if one were flying a helicopter. When will they remove the shake? Or will the screws all just loosen over time and fall out? Have they performed the shakedown or will that be Mk2? Can they even fire the gun with so much shaking?

These are real questions, people.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I was about to ask, where is the fire truck. Aren't the planes brakes designed to catch fire after stopping?!!!
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

Tejas just gave away all its secrets. All other aircrafts were downplaying their capability to hide what they can really do, that is why the Bandar did not show up.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Killer performance, watched it 10 times and still it was not enough. Energetic pull-up after takeoff, and in dive it was beautiful.

Thanks for sharing the video.
bodhi
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bodhi »

Amazing!!!

Highlight for me, 11:17 to 11:26. Rapid rolls followed by the break left. Man...still drooling.

Thanks for the link guys...made my year :D
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Shreeman wrote:Is it my turn now? No? How about now?

First of all, the routine is not original, it is copied move for move. After 23 years they have not come up with any indigeneous moves. Secondly, they did not do the cobra. As australian defense analyst kopp has noted on numerous times, su27 can do the cobra. so when you are over sourh china sea, and the su27 does the cobra where are you? High and dry, thats where.

They are flying it last. If JF17 had been flying, it would have ranked ahead of LCA. Why last? Because if the brakes catch fire, then it would not shut down the show.

Also, most of the time there is smoke coming out. Some times there is even fire visible to even the naked eye. As any steam engine driver will tell you, even steel will melt if fire stays on too long. What does it say for maintenance?

Everyone is watching the F22s. Real planes dont just fly one eggjamapple. They have two fly together. It is called a buddy or sidekick system. Even in bahrain, two F22s are flying. LCA? Only one dares to take off at a time. Who is watching its back? To see if the fire is lit or not? Nobody.

Finally, there is so much shake in the video as if one were flying a helicopter. When will they remove the shake? Or will the screws all just loosen over time and fall out? Have they performed the shakedown or will that be Mk2? Can they even fire the gun with so much shaking?

These are real questions, people.
I would have :rotfl: but sadly, those questions are indeed real. In fact someone I chatted with, said exactly what LokeshC posted above, that Tejas gave away all its secrets, while others were downplaying their abilities..
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

Singha wrote:the commentator being british, he will always suck up to american kit. the mirage2000 commentary was also very sparse. f-16 was gushing. he pronounced sarang as sarong and tejas as teyas earlier.
It was really great.
I am sure commentator is from Australia. their pronunciations are bit too stretched.

... my simple question is " why can't the camera men stand so that the sun is on their back and the subject they are filming is right in front of you with all the light from the sun" This way you will avoid Seeing the Sun and loose some of the clarity. These are basics that are taught for a cameramen i think. Even Our own DDM and media dont follow this and they give such a huge jerk and movement of the camera as though a dog has come and bitten them from behind...
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Superb display by Tejas , Tight Crisp Maneuvering and handling there , Felt many times was watching Eurofighter due to its compound delta wing. Image
member_28482
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_28482 »

Great Display of Agility, Curious to know if Tejas can perform following maneuvers.
a. Chandelle
b. Cuban Eight
c. Hammerhead
d. Split S
e. Vertical up
f. Cobra... etc
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

jayasimha wrote:
Singha wrote:the commentator being british, he will always suck up to american kit. the mirage2000 commentary was also very sparse. f-16 was gushing. he pronounced sarang as sarong and tejas as teyas earlier.
It was really great.
I am sure commentator is from Australia. their pronunciations are bit too stretched.
Mark Jefferies from UK.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Any Phoren Press Coverage from the Usual Suspects? AFM? Janes?
RajD
BRFite

Post by RajD »

My 2 cents.
Really a beautiful and breath taking display by Tejas.
I think because of hazy conditions long shot is failing to show perspective.
Also, the commentator definitely has British accent.
He reminds me of the English cricket commentator Late Henry Blofeld.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

rkhanna wrote:Any Phoren Press Coverage from the Usual Suspects? AFM? Janes?
I have been scanning AFM , Air International and even Janes for few years and barely they have covered Tejas beyond a single front page deep inside their mag that too during event like AI , They are more happy to devote 3 pages to JF-17 and Janes has always bad to say about Tejas thanks to Rahul Bedi

AW&ST is some what better but still little coverage on Tejas program
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Austin wrote:
rkhanna wrote:Any Phoren Press Coverage from the Usual Suspects? AFM? Janes?
I have been scanning AFM , Air International and even Janes for few years and barely they have covered Tejas beyond a single front page deep inside their mag that too during event like AI , They are more happy to devote 3 pages to JF-17 and Janes has always bad to say about Tejas thanks to Rahul Bedi

AW&ST is some what better but still little coverage on Tejas program
AFM has been hosted by Pakis and invited to write like John Fricker was in the past
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Daktir Sahab a few years ago I scanned and uploaded every single article on IAF covered by AFM and ACM. They have never covered the Tejas in detail ever. However as Alan Warnes is all chummy with the Fizzleya they keep getting lots of coverage on the bunder. Oh well just happy to see a brilliant display by the guys I hope this one of many international displays!!!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

andy B wrote:Daktir Sahab a few years ago I scanned and uploaded every single article on IAF covered by AFM and ACM. They have never covered the Tejas in detail ever. However as Alan Warnes is all chummy with the Fizzleya they keep getting lots of coverage on the bunder. Oh well just happy to see a brilliant display by the guys I hope this one of many international displays!!!
Alan Warnes wrote about his being invited to Shitistan before it happened - and sure enough an article appeared after that visit
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

jayasimha wrote: ... my simple question is " why can't the camera men stand so that the sun is on their back and the subject they are filming is right in front of you with all the light from the sun" This way you will avoid Seeing the Sun and loose some of the clarity. These are basics that are taught for a cameramen i think. Even Our own DDM and media dont follow this and they give such a huge jerk and movement of the camera as though a dog has come and bitten them from behind...
I think in Bahrain the time of day and time of year and places given to camera persons was just wrong. But AM flights would have been OK. PM flights are the problem
pralay
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by pralay »

whats schedule for day for the show ?
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Why are some people whining about tejas giving away it's secrets ?!... the full combat abilities depends on its avionics as armament too... in vr combat it' as good as any non tvc fighter out there .. and quite probably even better!
kshirin
BRFite

Post by kshirin »

Here is another one starts at 2.43 or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... R88zf50vAU
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the flying display is listed at same time for all three days.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

kit wrote:Why are some people whining about tejas giving away it's secrets ?!... the full combat abilities depends on its avionics as armament too... in vr combat it' as good as any non tvc fighter out there .. and quite probably even better!
Perhaps they don't know that a lot of Wind tunnel testing/FCS testing of Tejas has been done in US/Europe, and they practically know everything about it, or know enough from where they can easily extrapolate. Laws of Physics do not change.
Bharadwaj
BRFite

Post by Bharadwaj »

http://bharatshakti.in/tejas-is-a-pilots-delight/
Dr. S Christopher, DG DRDO and secretary R&D, who has specially flown in to witness the Tejas flight, was more than happy. “Today we have demonstrated to the world that we are capable of producing a world class fighter plane. It was quite different from Tejas flying in Bangalore. Here a discerning audience was watching the performance very closely and my feedback is the curiosity has now only increased. As the RM has said we are ready to productionise the Tejas from next year. Already people are making enquiries about its capabilities. Our team work has paid off.”
It is good that journos like Nitin Gokhale are being encouraged and given good access....
Bharadwaj
BRFite

Post by Bharadwaj »

The khujli has started in a certain forum :D
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

Tejas is next up
bodhi
BRFite -Trainee