LCA Tejas: News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Re: LCA Tejas: News and Discussions

Post by Indranil »

nileshjr wrote:
indranilroy wrote: I have seen nothing except newspaper reports on getting a flying test bed. I am not entirely sure if a fighter jet can become a flying test bed. The reason why an IL-76 is used as a test bed is because there is a lot of instrumentation for data collection and analysis. I don't know if there is enough room on a fighter jet for the same. It is within GTREs capability to build a flying test bed. The problem is the funding.
Jet fighter is needed to cover full flight envelope of a fighter jet. IL-76 or B747 based test beds can only cover small part of the envelope. Also you cannot test the performance with a intake duct that's there in fighter jet on those big test beds. And I am sure many other such things for which fighter jet is imperative. And since its new engine, a twin jet is must. I guess Mig-29 is because its cheap and we know it well enough. And I guess due to size similarities of RD-33 and Kaveri, integration would be easier than say if you have Su-30. Of coarse IL-76/B747 type test beds are not supplanted by mig-29 type ones. In the initial phase of testing most of the data is collected and mathematical models are fine tuned. There you will only use those big 4-engined test beds. Once basic performance is validated, you don't need all that huge number of sensors. Only a few key numbers and the fine tuned mathematical models can be used to interpolate. Anyway there are 20-30 engines used in entire testing program each with specific test goals and thus specifically instrumented. Both types of test beds are needed. Why are we not getting big flying test beds?? Can we not get one under off-set from either Russia (IL-76) or US (B747)?
Of course, the engine and the inlet are designed for one another. And the engine has to be tested in that combination for all corners of the flight envelop.
nileshjr wrote:
indranilroy wrote: Let me get back to you on this. There were tenders for the cores. I think Kabini core is retained in the 125 kN engine.
Can the 54kN dry thrust core be used for 125kN class engine? IMO, it will be a scaled version of kabini with dry thrust of about 80kN, if not a redesigned or total new core. (I am not sure how much is thrust rating on Kabini core alone - may be 45kN-ish, the scaled one has to have ~60kN even if we assume increased BPR for new engine) Of coarse they will infuse some latest technology to improve on thrust-to-weight ratio of the engine even if its mere up-scaled version.
Okay, I had to dig up. It is not a 125kN engine, but 75/110 kN engine. From the massflow of the core, it seemed like it was the Kabini core. Head over here for some discussion when this had just come out. You will have to scroll down to about half the page where the discussion starts.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

^^I didnt mean by testing with the a/c for which it was designed but general testing before we can put the engine on the intended single engine a/c. The part you mentioned will come when Kaveri is put on LCA.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Shiv,

Well said!
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

vaibhav_kumar wrote:
It was clear that based on where SPs were along in their Jigs and statement by the person in-charge that SP-3 would be completed and flown by July. SP-3 was at final equipping and assembly phase while SP-4 was at coupling stage.
Can any of the gurus please comment on the production timelines for an LCA i.e. a guess by the current schedule how long the SPs are in jigs, how long for final shipping and assembly etc. I know at this stage the figures would vary a lot from what they would be a couple of years down the line but any estimates could clear the cloud as to how many LCAs could be expected in the coming years.
Here's an old post from a couple of weeks ago:
srai wrote:Using this article, we should be able to keep track and figure out how long things take once LCA components make it on to a Jig.

HAL on mission mode to ramp up Tejas production
March 24, 2016

"The energy levels are high and we are wasting no time in our efforts to step up the production rate. Now, SP-3 is all set to enter the equipping and final assembly and SP-4 is ready to go for coupling. All SP-5 components are already on the jig. And, some of the modules of SP-6 and SP-7 too are entering the jig," says Sridharan.

He is confident of loading the components of SP-8 also on to the jig within a month, thereby ensuring an early roll out of the fighters.
Let's keep the following tabs and see when a flight takes place and delivery to the IAF occurs:
  • SP-1 -> first flight (Oct 1, 2014); delivered to the IAF (Jan-17, 2015) [Looks like it takes around 3-months]
  • SP-2 -> assembly completed; first flight (March 23, 2016) [Let's see how long it takes from first flight to delivery to IAF]
  • SP-3 -> final equipping and assembly; first flight planned for July, 2016 [Looks like around 3-months to flight once it gets to this stage]
  • SP-4 -> ready for coupling
  • SP-5 -> all components on the jig
  • SP-6 -> some modules on jig
  • SP-7 -> some modules on jig
  • SP-8 -> components will be loaded on a jig within a month (by April 24, 2016) [this one will be the one to watch to see how long it takes once it loads on a jig]
If I had to take a guess, HAL would likely be able to deliver SP-2, SP-3, SP-4 and SP-5 this year based on where things are. If I remember correctly, the IAF requires four aircraft to form a squadron. A lot of the squadron formation activities are already underway. We can expect first LCA squadron ceremony with 4 LCAs sometime early next year.
There is a new assembly hanger coming online by June 2016 as well. That would increase floor space capacity for more Jigs--additional four/six of them from the current six to total to 8 or 12.

Note: According to news reports, LCA squadron formation ceremony is being planned for July 2016 with 2 air-frames.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

What happen to the HAL proposal for 2500 Cr investment for increasing the production to 25 per year. No news on that till date.
Bhaskar_T
BRFite

Post by Bhaskar_T »

So, existing assembly has 6 jigs (SP-1/SP-2 delivered and SP-3 to SP-8 being worked upon on 6 jigs) and new assembly hanger may have 8/12 jigs. So, total becomes 14-18 jigs. Would be nice if it can be 18 in total. Any idea on how much new assembly line set-up would take - when this new line would start churning up LCA's? By start 2018/2019?

And are these the same assembly lines where other PV's/LSP's/N-LCA's/Tejas-MK1A/Tejas-MK2 come (or will come in future) and get repaired/modified?
srai wrote: There is a new assembly hanger coming online by June 2016 as well. That would increase floor space capacity for more Jigs--additional four/six of them from the current six to total to 8 or 12.

Note: According to news reports, LCA squadron formation ceremony is being planned for July 2016 with 2 air-frames.
DexterM
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by DexterM »

Bhaskar_T, why 18? Are you targeting 32 a year?
All repairs/modifications will be at MROs in the future.

I recall a timeline of how much time the a/c spends before and after getting on a jig. (The basic assembly timelines). Does anyone have a graphic handy for other a/c types?
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

^^^

Original plan was to have a total of between 8-12 capacity/year. That is what the new assembly hanger will bring in total, inclusive of the current 6 capacity. There's a separate proposal awaiting government approval for expanding this to 16/year (up to 25/year if 80% components outsourced).
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

indranilroy wrote: Okay, I had to dig up. It is not a 125kN engine, but 75/110 kN engine. From the massflow of the core, it seemed like it was the Kabini core. Head over here for some discussion when this had just come out. You will have to scroll down to about half the page where the discussion starts.
Hmm...for 110kN class engine with about 70-75kN dry thrust same kabini core can be used with increased BPR, improved OPR (mainly due to improved Fan stage PR, partly due to some improvements in HPC) and some improvement in TIT. That 5:1 PR target is quite significant as compared to 3.x:1 of existing fan of Kaveri. Looks like they are targeting 30:1 OPR for entire engine. F414 has 2 of the 3 stages as blisks. The next planned upgrade which was put on hold had all 3 stage blisks. Good that GTRE is targeting the same for 110kN class engine. Hopefully they will have some more blisks in last 2-3 stages of HPC as well (I don't know status for Kaveri currently in this respect). Overall good plan and very much doable before AMCA comes up.
Shanu
BRFite

Post by Shanu »

At least two countries have expressed interest in buying Tejas - Sri Lanka and Egypt. If this goes through, will be a landmark event in India defence history.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/india/ind ... 78908.html
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

Shanu wrote:At least two countries have expressed interest in buying Tejas - Sri Lanka and Egypt. If this goes through, will be a landmark event in India defence history.

From above
London: Leading defence and aeronautical firms of the West are reportedly worried over the success of the Tejas Trainer Jet, especially as India is expected to bag the first contracts for the trainer jet from Sri Lanka and Egypt.
There were news reports about some US satellite launch corporates seeking protection against more affordable launches from ISRO platforms. Now this. A clear indicator that more and more local R&D will get more such opportunities. For LCA, more and more push therefore for engines to production in numbers.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Problem for west is other than flogging used f solah they no longer have a cost effective fighter vs tejas and j10.

We should qualify tejas with rd93mk3 for export as amrika will surely play games on engine with sri lanka hooman raights top of table as a stick
member_23370
BRFite

Post by member_23370 »

Wasn't HAL supposedly making RD-33 series 3. Would that fit into Tejas. Why would we sell to egypt? Surely Israel would have some issues with it. Unkil can sell old F-16's there. LCA if priced right can be sold to Vietnam, Afghanistan and African and Latin american countries.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

We should sell anywhere we can make money and establush a toehold
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

+1. Further, I am sure present Egipt rulers has no appetite to wage a jihad on Jews in foreseeable future. If there is a cheap AC, which is a sanction proof many nations will welcome one. But for that, we need to have Kaveri power LCA with Indian Radar. Once That is achieved and, there are political leadership and support we can get huge orders for LCA.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

We have just 6 jigs right now for making Tejas. HAL is sitting on its stinking ass on expanding for the next 6 jigs with plans to make 16 to 24 of them with pvt sector are still up in the air and we are planning to export to rest of the world? Show me the jigs!!!!!
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

Singha wrote:Problem for west is other than flogging used f solah they no longer have a cost effective fighter vs tejas and j10.

We should qualify tejas with rd93mk3 for export as amrika will surely play games on engine with sri lanka hooman raights top of table as a stick
It isn't as much a problem since their market growth doesn't really factor in huge success in that space (low cost, light combat aircraft). There is already a hybrid-East-West player there that has already had international success in the T/F/A-50 and that is a legitimate competitor to Lockheed's F-16V for those nations looking at a dual use, or one high commonality platform for both training and combat. While its too early to tell, the KFX could potentially create a T/F50 like market in the 5th generation space. Going forward, there is unlikely to be a great need to compete for the LCA market space given these firms are represented there as well through international agreements and business opportunities in both systems (engines) and weapons. The Viper is essentially dead in a post 2020 market-share competition, and the Super Hornet is too big to be cost-competitive from an O&S perspective with fighters that compete or are likely to compete in that space.

The only other remaining player could be the eventual T-X winner in the US, since the USAF has put in place performance requirements for aggressor aircraft (supersonic, and maneuverability) that are translatable to a combat-version of the aircraft especially with drop in open systems already in place. However, even that isn't likely to be available in large numbers for export since the USAF itself has huge internal demand. Due, largely to internal factors (operator driven demand) they are walking away from the LCA market but are essentially taking the western LCA-replacement market with them (F-16 users moving on to the F-35, or if not, to other medium sized combat aircraft), leaving SAAB, HAL, KAI and others (the CHINESE) to be the dominant players. Those are the Tejas competitors.
Last edited by brar_w on 23 Apr 2016 16:45, edited 2 times in total.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Vipul wrote:We have just 6 jigs right now for making Tejas. HAL is sitting on its stinking ass on expanding for the next 6 jigs with plans to make 16 to 24 of them with pvt sector are still up in the air and we are planning to export to rest of the world? Show me the jigs!!!!!
Pls read previous pages of this thread. HAL is not sitting on its ass.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Vipul wrote:We have just 6 jigs right now for making Tejas. HAL is sitting on its stinking ass on expanding for the next 6 jigs with plans to make 16 to 24 of them with pvt sector are still up in the air and we are planning to export to rest of the world? Show me the jigs!!!!!
Havin' a bad day sir? Hopefully this will show you both jig and ass :wink:
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

SHiv, lol what the heck?!!??!
AbhiJ
BRFite

Post by AbhiJ »

Most people felt that with IOC and FOC, India has achieved its own fighter aircraft with LCA.

But but, the very late nirvana happened that mass production of a fighter jet for a first timer is itself a juggernaut.

I don't trust a services oriented Banglaore to fulfill every jignos dream of delivering 500+ LCA. Never.

Start a clean sheet green field facility to produce 40 aircrafts within the Bombay-Pune-Nashik triangle. HAL already has a presence with Korpat plant. The Su 30 supply chain already exists and they need to be rewarded with more business. You can only export from here!!
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

AbhiJ, so how is the IAF getting ALH/LCH, Jaguars then. And Mirage upgrades?

Are you even serious?

Go look at the amount of HW and SW going into the LCA and from where it is sourced. Bangalore (and Hyderabad) are the epicenter of the avionics, technology and hardware ecosystem in India. Services include design and development.
http://www.tatahal.com/about/

This is what makes the LCA.

The CLAW FCS team and composites, RCS team at NAL in Bangalore. The FCS HW at ADE Bangalore. The Iron Bird and other facilities at HAL in Bangalore. Mission avionics and LRDE at Bangalore.

Are you aware of these?

http://www.dynamatics.com/
http://www.aequs.com/
http://www.spsmai.com/military/?id=3484 ... 7-campaign

Su-30 supply chain is also spread out over India. The facility there will be redirected towards Su-30 upgrades and FGFA.
AbhiJ
BRFite

Post by AbhiJ »

Karan M wrote:AbhiJ, so how is the IAF getting ALH/LCH, Jaguars then. And Mirage upgrades?

Are you even serious?

Go look at the amount of HW and SW going into the LCA and from where it is sourced. Bangalore (and Hyderabad) are the epicenter of the avionics, technology and hardware ecosystem in India. Services include design and development.

This is what makes the LCA.

The CLAW FCS team and composites, RCS team at NAL in Bangalore. The FCS HW at ADE Bangalore. The Iron Bird and other facilities at HAL in Bangalore. Mission avionics and LRDE at Bangalore.

Are you aware of these?

http://www.dynamatics.com/
http://www.aequs.com/
http://www.spsmai.com/military/?id=3484 ... 7-campaign

Su-30 supply chain is also spread out over India. The facility there will be redirected towards Su-30 upgrades and FGFA.
How many upgrades happen every year for the aforesaid mentioned platforms? There must be data for the past few years.

Design and development which falls under the broad term R&D, let it be there it has always been and it is working, no issues.

The capacity addition on the maximum output is projected at 16 per year. (160 aircrafts at this rate till 2027) That is scalable to what 20 or even 25 if and only if the orders come.

If we want export say like a couple of squadrons to Sri Lanka and Egypt each. With the above production rate will you be ever able to? Do you really think we would be able to satisfy all the 3 user requirements including IAF?

Let the supply chain create another line in Nashik or let them transport from their existing facilities if they can handle that many production, no issues. The Nashik facility can act as the lead integrator. HALs exiting Union productivity is nothing to speak of. Let there be internal competition for grabbing orders for 2 lines of production.

I still stick with my stand that if you want mass production in India stick either to the Pune or Chennai corridor. These two are battle hardened, Bangalore is still an amateur at it. Pune already has the requisite existing Aviation facilities required for mass production. And having 2 lines also helps in times of urgency. The problem is with the legacy HAL and the old suppliers. The new suppliers, if any, I would not be suspicious of them.

We need 2 lines!!
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

AbhiJ wrote:How many upgrades happen every year for the aforesaid mentioned platforms? There must be data for the past few years.
Why don't you dig it out? The information is there. Are you even aware of the LCA's upgrades and how much effort goes into its design and development from centers which have to constantly work with the producer?
Design and development which falls under the broad term R&D, let it be there it has always been and it is working, no issues.
Design and Development needs to be aligned as closely to the production center. The LCA production at Blr and D&D being there is critical.
The capacity addition on the maximum output is projected at 16 per year. (160 aircrafts at this rate till 2027) That is scalable to what 20 or even 25 if and only if the orders come.

If we want export say like a couple of squadrons to Sri Lanka and Egypt each. With the above production rate will you be ever able to? Do you really think we would be able to satisfy all the 3 user requirements including IAF?
Egypt and SL are sheikh chilli ideas. Main aim is India first and foremost.
Let the supply chain create another line in Nashik or let them transport from their existing facilities if they can handle that many production, no issues. The Nashik facility can act as the lead integrator. HALs exiting Union productivity is nothing to speak of. Let there be internal competition for grabbing orders for 2 lines of production.
First let the production mature and get to a point where the program can be fixed at one level, before jumping into talking of "other places".
I still stick with my stand that if you want mass production in India stick either to the Pune or Chennai corridor. These two are battle hardened, Bangalore is still an amateur at it. Pune already has the requisite existing Aviation facilities required for mass production. And having 2 lines also helps in times of urgency. The problem is with the legacy HAL and the old suppliers. The new suppliers, if any, I would not be suspicious of them.We need 2 lines!!
Your stand is absolutely silly. What is this "battle hardened" rubbish? What is this mud slinging at "old suppliers" based on what data exactly? What is this being suspicious of them when SMEs and world class firms are supplying to HAL and you are making all sorts of wild insinuations about them.

Implying Pune has requisite aviation facilities etc when the fact is not even ONE core LCA program design center is at Pune bar ARDE which has a limited contribution to LCA.

Parochialism is one thing, but when you start cooking up theories to discredit existing areas of excellence to support it, it gets ridiculous.

HAL at Bangalore has been making Jaguar, overhauling Mirage 2000, making LCH/ALH. Su-30 critical suppliers are based in the Bangalore industrial area and its all important avionics including the radar are being assembled at Hyderabad. Korwa does the other items.

Even actuators, which are the key part of hydraulic systems are being made by a Karnataka based firm.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8Ydfos7xAPw/U ... ndor-1.jpg
http://www.servocontrolsindia.com/about

So in short, you don't know about the design and development of the LCA and who does what. You can't figure out the advantages of colocation (hint: world over industrial clusters succeed when developers and producers have maximum synergy and for initial development, colocation helps)
You insist that LCA needs to be moved someplace else because of BLR being service based (absolute rubbish - the south clusters BLR and HYD lead in aerospace development and maturity)
You imply that Su-30 suppliers are only from Pune-Mumbai etc whereas critical ones are actually in the South.

At least do some basic digging into the topic before making grandiloquent pronoucements??
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

which western contractors? what are they talking?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

No disrespect to Pune - where I grew up also has the prettiest girls. Pune has a huge industry presence including Telco, Bajaj, Mahindra, L&T and much else - esp in the Pimpri-Chinchwad region - but for Aerospace the real competitors will IMO be Hosur (smack bang next to Bangalore) and Hyderabad. Just a guess.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

^^ The thing is that most of the LCA development is in Bangalore - to be a mature program, the designers and developers need to be in synch. Luckily Bangalore and Hyd have that maturity now.

Otherwise, GOI's half baked we will start a factory everywhere process went and put a jet engine plant in Odisha (no disrespect but what the fck are you doing persisting with that, when R&D is in Bangalore at GTRE, there is no common sense coordination at MOD to colocate R&D and manufacturing), puts HAL avionics in Korwa (and software/HW expertise is at BLR-Hyd), has IRDE in Dehradun (what an ecosystem of development they have there) and so forth.. at least now with the internet so things can be managed.. but one can well imagine the issues well into the 90s and early 2000s.

BEL is split all across India too but at least have a strong set up in Bangalore/Hyd/Chennai which is the engine for radars and defence electronics.

One ADA guy told me his biggest headache was dealing with all the different labs and organizations.. ok, that headache gets multiplied when you can't even visit them periodically and see what's going on. And communication happens by phone and mail.

Here is the LCA workcenter map. It mentions many (by no means ALL) of the firms involved. See BLR-Hyd-Chennai.

The Pune, Mumbai based orgs are into some subsystems - eg HEMRL for ejection seat cartridges etc. The heavy lifting is all down south.

Apart from L&T (which also has development centers down south), and to some extent Godrej, none of the Mumbai Pune firms are that heavily involved. To crap over the existing suppliers in Bangalore, Hyderabad etc based on parochial whimsy, which AbhiJ was doing is silly.

I mean, he implies that manufacturing in Bangalore is somehow subpar because its services oriented. That's just wrong because the sourcing for many of these aero items is done from all over India and companies like Dynamatics etc which have pioneered the SME representation for HAL etc are located in Bangalore.

Appreciate what they are doing, irrespective of where they are located.

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

move the mountains!
AbhiJ
BRFite

Post by AbhiJ »

Karan M wrote:Why don't you dig it out? The information is there. Are you even aware of the LCA's upgrades and how much effort goes into its design and development from centers which have to constantly work with the producer?
HAL FY 2014-15 Directors Report Pg 32 = 68 new aircrafts and helicopters
FY 2015-16 = 60 new.

http://www.hal-india.com/Common/Uploads ... nglish.pdf

http://www.hal-india.com/HAL%E2%80%99s% ... se/ND__160

We are talking about new aircrafts here. We are talking about adding another 30%-60% of the existing capacity of HAL. The above 60 produced last year by HAL includes helicopters and aircrafts of many different platforms and national origins made across India including Bangalore, Nashik and Kanpur. Adding another 20-25 is not Bangalore's forte. Add 40 if we intend to induct it in large quantities. (May Allah give some sadbuddhi to IAF)
Design and Development needs to be aligned as closely to the production center. The LCA production at Blr and D&D being there is critical.
Let there be one production line. I just checked even Boeings D&D and production facilities are spread out. That doesn't seem to create any hiccups for them.
Egypt and SL are sheikh chilli ideas. Main aim is India first and foremost.
Unless IAF orders and inducts in hundreds, no foreign user is going to be confident and HAL Bangalore can never deliver that.
First let the production mature and get to a point where the program can be fixed at one level, before jumping into talking of "other places".
Ok.
AbhiJ
BRFite

Post by AbhiJ »

Your stand is absolutely silly. What is this "battle hardened" rubbish?

It implies these places have experience with mass production in many industries with the capable human resource. It was just a military cliche.
What is this mud slinging at "old suppliers" based on what data exactly?

Old suppliers would include the HAL legacy suppliers who are in the same boat wrt "mass production"
What is this being suspicious of them when SMEs and world class firms are supplying to HAL and you are making all sorts of wild insinuations about them.
I have never decredited their efforts, their products. Stop putting words in my mouth. The question is ekdam simple: can these firms scale up? My doubt regarding them is what the same I have with HAL.
Implying Pune has requisite aviation facilities etc when the fact is not even ONE core LCA program design center is at Pune bar ARDE which has a limited contribution to LCA.
Again you are blowing the trumpet. Production, final integration and testing of systems and subsystems is different from R&D. Let R&D be there in South. No issues.

I am proposing for a new production line in Pune. Whatever is required for the above has to be created there for LCA. HAL Koraput already exists there. So it shouldn't be much of a problem. Its not like we are starting out in Mizoram or Kashmir where there is no A,B,C of aviation.
Parochialism is one thing, but when you start cooking up theories to discredit existing areas of excellence to support it, it gets ridiculous.
Its based on industrial history of the area. Has HAL Bangalore ever undertaken mass production of its own aircraft at such scale before? Again, I am saying I have doubt only on the ability of HAL and suppliers to scale it up at their existing locations. PERIOD of PERIOD. Whatever else your mind cooks up: discrediting, non-appreciating, anti-south, narrow mindedness is all lahori logic.
HAL at Bangalore has been making Jaguar, overhauling Mirage 2000, making LCH/ALH. Su-30 critical suppliers are based in the Bangalore industrial area and its all important avionics including the radar are being assembled at Hyderabad. Korwa does the other items.
Good.
Even actuators, which are the key part of hydraulic systems are being made by a Karnataka based firm.
http://www.servocontrolsindia.com/about
Let them transport over to Pune.
So in short, you don't know about the design and development of the LCA and who does what. You can't figure out the advantages of colocation (hint: world over industrial clusters succeed when developers and producers have maximum synergy and for initial development, colocation helps)
Let me ask you once again. Isn't the first line is in Bangalore right in bed with the design and development team?

Your requirement is satisfied. I have no doubt about you in the above areas. You are correct.

What about next? What about mass production? What about scaling up? You don't espouse confidence in that!
You insist that LCA needs to be moved someplace else because of BLR being service based (absolute rubbish - the south clusters BLR and HYD lead in aerospace development and maturity)
I am not asking LCA to be moved. I am saying you cannot mass produce it. You can make 8 LCA. You can make 16(doubtful). But you cannot make 25-30-40. For this, I am advocating a new line.

HAL, You are right now making many platforms but in limited production (about 60 per year spread across 5+ products), nothing which come near mass production when we are talking about 500 numbers.
You imply that Su-30 suppliers are only from Pune-Mumbai etc whereas critical ones are actually in the South.
South suppliers, Export to Pune from your existing facility in south or if you face issues like HAL, open a new line in Pune. Let your existing line serve Bangalore complex. What's so complicated in that? If the numbers are there, we have a business case for you to set up a new line.
At least do some basic digging into the topic before making grandiloquent pronoucements??
Enough said.
Last edited by AbhiJ on 23 Apr 2016 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
AbhiJ
BRFite

Post by AbhiJ »

I mean, he implies that manufacturing in Bangalore is somehow subpar because its services oriented.
I have clarified in my above post very clearly. It's not sub par. It's that they cannot mass produce it. They can produce in limited quantities.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

AbhiJ wrote:It implies these places have experience with mass production in many industries with the capable human resource. It was just a military cliche.
And yet, you are not able to provide the list of substantial key contributors to any program with the scale of the LCA. You are spouting meaningless inanities as versus hard facts. "Military cliche" it seems.
What is this mud slinging at "old suppliers" based on what data exactly?

Old suppliers would include the HAL legacy suppliers who are in the same boat wrt "mass production"
And what do you know of "mass production" or lack thereof of existing HAL suppliers? Meaningless since HALs suppliers are supplying per MOD expenditure.
What is this being suspicious of them when SMEs and world class firms are supplying to HAL and you are making all sorts of wild insinuations about them.
I have never decredited their efforts, their products. Stop putting words in my mouth. The question is ekdam simple: can these firms scale up? My doubt regarding them is what the same I have with HAL.
You are making all sorts of wild allegations about them being unable to scale up, your issues with HAL etc - and are unable to provide ANY substantive evidence. I don;t have to put words in your mouth, since you are doing a smash up job of making wild allegations without an iota of evidence to back up any of it.
Again you are blowing the trumpet. Production, final integration and testing of systems and subsystems is different from R&D. Let R&D be there in South. No issues.
Listen, please stop gassing. Nobody is blowing the trumpet but you, with this fixation on one city. Its as silly as saying DRDO should move ARDE from Pune or R&DE programs from Pune to suppliers in Chennai, because.. well Chennai. Or R&DE should move to Bangalore.. well, Bangalore.

Do you even understand that divorcing the "Production, final integration and testing of systems and subsystems" of programs like the LCA from R&D is NOT good?

Its making the same mistakes all over again.

Its the same reason why if ARDE is in Pune and if a supplier or manufacturer is in Pune itself, then its better than moving the production to Bangalore. Its a good thing to have ARDEs suppliers from Pune.

Do you get this?

Why not move the LCA to Chennai for example? Why should R&D be in south and production move far away for a product that is still in development and needs tight integration with R&D.

Why not Hyderabad? DRDO's missile cluster is there. Still far away but not too far from Bangalore.

Why not any other city?

If production has to be far far away?

Why not any city in Gujarat? Mucho power, big name firms.

Simultaneously berating HAL and then holding HAL Nashik up as an example doesn't work. Its a logic fail.
I am proposing for a new production line in Pune. Whatever is required for the above has to be created there for LCA. HAL Koraput already exists there. So it shouldn't be much of a problem. Its not like we are starting out in Mizoram or Kashmir where there is no A,B,C of aviation.
Dude are you for real or are you posting while intoxicated?

Koraput is in Odisha!
Its based on industrial history of the area. Has HAL Bangalore ever undertaken mass production of its own aircraft at such scale before? Again, I am saying I have doubt only on the ability of HAL and suppliers to scale it up at their existing locations. PERIOD of PERIOD. Whatever else your mind cooks up: discrediting, non-appreciating, anti-south, narrow mindedness is all lahori logic.
Your logic is mind boggling. In fact, only lahori logic guys would appreciate yours.

"Industrial history of the area". What do you know of the industrial history of the area? Show us the detailed assessment of any of these areas with available prior awareness of aero grade programs and their availability in number.

Are you aware of the "industrial history of HAL"?

How many Jaguars do you think HAL has produced down south? How many Jaguars are in IAF service? Search.
Where is the Hawk being assembled? What about the ALH? Or LCH? Search.

Listen, you clearly know little about HAL or HAL's suppliers.. so insisting on creating two lines when only 100 MK1A and some 20-40 are on order and even that, will require reinforcement for viability with the LCA-N, is absurd.
http://www.servocontrolsindia.com/about[/quote]
Let them transport over to Pune.
Why? Its cheaper to transport them to Bangalore, test & fix.
Let me ask you once again. Isn't the first line is in Bangalore right in bed with the design and development team?

Your requirement is satisfied. I have no doubt about you in the above areas. You are correct.

What about next? What about mass production? What about scaling up? You don't espouse confidence in that!
Where are the orders to scale up???

Why would you replicate a line which is as expensive and time consuming as the LCAs is outside of its core area of expertise in some other area which is already assigned for other programs?
I am not asking LCA to be moved. I am saying you cannot mass produce it. You can make 8 LCA. You can make 16(doubtful). But you cannot make 25-30-40. For this, I am advocating a new line.
Who says HAL cannot make 25-30-40 if it was funded to do so?? Where is the evidence? You are just cooking up stuff out of thin air based on some airy fairy claims.

If HAL has orders it will scale up. If not, it won't.
HAL, You are right now making many platforms but in limited production (about 60 per year spread across 5+ products), nothing which come near mass production when we are talking about 500 numbers.
Again, all sorts of make believe stuff. HAL is doing what it does based on orders and capex. Nothing more, nothing less.
South suppliers, Export to Pune from your existing facility in south or if you face issues like HAL, open a new line in Pune. Let your existing line serve Bangalore complex. What's so complicated in that? If the numbers are there, we have a business case for you to set up a new line.
Where are the numbers? Where are your Pune based suppliers or system integrators?? Who in Pune has offered to set up for the LCA and invest in it?

Do you think aerospace is some joke wherein you just magically wave your fingers and suppliers emerge?

HAL has had a tough time even getting existing suppliers & for a good reason, most of them happen to be in the areas where the technology cluster is strongest and precision manufacturing has taken off - BLR-HYD-Chennai.

Firms have been tapped from all across India as well.

Pune et al are developing but will require some time to get there.
Enough said.
Yup, but why are you still going on then about a topic you clearly are just timepassing about?
Last edited by Karan M on 24 Apr 2016 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

AbhiJ wrote:
I mean, he implies that manufacturing in Bangalore is somehow subpar because its services oriented.
I have clarified in my above post very clearly. It's not sub par. It's that they cannot mass produce it. They can produce in limited quantities.
The same firms are supporting mass production of other programs, whereas you have come up with ZERO evidence that they can't if funded.

Make wild allegations, provide the evidence.

Stating wild allegations and claiming they are clarifications, is not sufficient
Last edited by Karan M on 24 Apr 2016 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Also, why should the second line be ONLY in Pune? Which firms are there in Pune with prior experience in aerospace that can scale up for systems, are NOT HAL suppliers and will do so?

You realize how quixotic this is.. existing HAL suppliers supply to HAL in Bangalore or Pune. Whether they be in Bangalore or Pune.

So OTOH, you claim existing HAL suppliers can't scale.. then they should still ship to Pune - tacit admission there aren't firms there that will do it because why would there be?

Where is the scale required.. why would an auto manufacturer in Pune shift to a LCA LRU for a mere 100 aircraft order.. its hard enough to find existing suppliers of aerospace items to take up future HAL/LCA programs ... where would manufacturers in Pune do this?

Same issue India wide - BLR, HYD, Chennai just happen to have more SMEs who are willing to do this. Since defence labs are nearby they get a leg up.

Pune based SMEs were contemplating a DEMA org.. wonder if it even got off. Some 100-150 all in all.

And if system integration is expected.. the TATA Line at Hyderabad is better..
http://www.tataadvancedsystems.com/about_us.php

HAL Nashik sources items from all across India.. if you dont want HAL and go to TATA it will go to ASL.

Basically, your arguments are not making much sense from a purely logic standpoint.
Last edited by Karan M on 24 Apr 2016 00:29, edited 2 times in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

The Sukhoi line at HAL Nashik BTW would go to FGFA - and Su-30 upgrades.
http://www.hal-india.com/Product_Detail ... y=&CKey=67

It might make some sense to colocate AMCA there - because stealth == and save on cost.
But production capabilities at Nashik might end up being unique to FGFA.

Also ADA is in Bangalore & so is the LCA line, and that apart, so are ASTE and NFTC.

Big things for AMCA
Avionics - LRDE, ADE, DARE (all Bangalore), DLRL (Hyd)
FBW - ADE, NAL, HAL (Bangalore)
RCS - NAL, ADA (Bangalore)
Navigation systems - RCI (Hyd)
IRST - IRDE (Dehradun), BEL (Chennai or AP)
Composite Structures - NAL (Blr)
Engines - GTRE (Blr) and HAL Koraput (but still HAL does have a jet engine group in BLR)

The list goes on and on.. but as unfair as it is to Pune or any other city, the bulk of the development groups are colocated around Blr-Hyd.

It makes more sense to focus there.

OR you make a strategic, zero expenditure concern decision to broadbase development AND move it to Pune as well.. like that will ever happen. Very unlikely I am afraid.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

^^^^

Deejayji - You should know better then to trust the 'plans' of a PSU when it says it will be doing something. Now how many times have i heard/read this before?

Shivji, No I am not having a bad day just a realistic day. Couple of years from now both of us will be here on BRF when those plans of HAL to churn out 24 Tejas will still be ..... plans.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

AbhiJ wrote:
Let there be one production line. I just checked even Boeings D&D and production facilities are spread out. That doesn't seem to create any hiccups for them.
Boeing is one firm. ADA is not part of HAL (and that's a good thing, given HALs issues). Makes a big difference if two different orgs and far apart.
saumitra_j
BRFite

Post by saumitra_j »

Make LCA in Pune and make Pawar/Kalmadi richer...no way :twisted:

Jokes apart AbhiJ ...you better stop this line of thinking Pune companies in the auto sector have zero experience in manufacturing aerospace grade components...unless you think the Indica or Bajaj Pulsar flies :rotfl:

This entire argument of shift this here etc is better not done...it is derailing the thread as it is downright silly, parochial and based on some weird thinking that Pune can mass produce better as if there are some Djinns in Pune to do that ...and before Pune starts dreaming of LCA and other fancy things, let it first get its public transport/bus service right :evil:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

AbhiJ wrote: I am proposing for a new production line in Pune. Whatever is required for the above has to be created there for LCA. HAL Koraput already exists there. So it shouldn't be much of a problem. Its not like we are starting out in Mizoram or Kashmir where there is no A,B,C of aviation.
Abhi I agree with the general sentiment that aerospace manufacture needs to be diversified over a much larger area than being centered around Bangalore. But I believe that some of your arguments are being made in a vacuum without looking at the history of either Bangalore, Pune, Nashik or Koraput,

Bangalore's history as aerospace hub is well documented - starting from Walchand Hirachand and buttressed by WW2 assembly as well as the proximity of BEL/ITI etc.

Nashik was a zero in Aerospace even when I was a young lad. Why do you think they chose Nashik over Pune? I used to live in Pimpri those days and could name every single heavy industry from Chinchwad to Khadki with my eyes shut. The Russkies wanted their planes to be physically separate from Western aircraft facilities (Bangalore). Nashik was a greenfield project and had the space to build a new airstrip. Koraput too was for Russians. Why Koraput? Why not Pune which had even in those days, Telco, Bajaj Auto and Tempo, L&T, Kirloskar Oil engines, Atlas Copco compressors, Sandvik fine tools etc? Apart from ARDE and Ordnance factory at Dapodi.

The problem is not with Pune and it is entirely possible that Pune can still become a plane manufacturing hub. But it currently lacks the infrastructure. No airfield other than MilBase Lohegaon. Intense air activity because Indian busiest airport Mumbai is just 100 km away. Civilian airliners start their descent from 30,000 plus feet from over 100 km before they get to Mumbai and dozens of airliners will be flying close to Pune simply en route to Mumbai. And Lohegaon is now overloaded and a new international airport will come up North of Pune. Where will the factory airfield be located? Anyone thinking of setting up a profitable plant will look at using an existing airstrip with least possible encumbrances and possible 200 acres of land to go with it. The way to go would be outside of major cities. Both Bangalore and Hyderabad have actually leapt ahead. HAL has already created a helicopter plant in Tumkur 40 km away and there is also a nearby weapons testing range. Hosur where planes are already being made and indigenous UAVs being tested is also 40 km away in another direction. So Pune cannot be ruled out, but it has some catching up to do.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Serious Mango alert.

I lived in Bangalore for many years. HAL seems to have a lot of lands also there within the city itself. I do not know how much is not in use as of today. But I guess if required additional production facilities can be created there itself.

Gurus know I am mango forgive me for asking - should not be a well-organised integrator has a clear supply line which can provide parts etc. with little from the integrator? I mean it shall not be something which needs to have a regular effort from the integrator.

That being said if HAL required dealing with Labs etc. like ADA on a regular basis then it is a headache to do from Pune or Nasik. One more thing comes to mind is this being the first effort for HAL and our nation to such a local designed and produced a system of this complexity may be the location need to be HAL Bangalore.

Hope HAL and suppliers get more familiarised with the LCA in future and wish there are hundreds of units of orders from all over the world for which HAL Bangalore can not scale up production and we will have some new lines build in places like Pune etc.