Pathankot AFB terrorist Attack After Action Analysis-I

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Pathankot AFB terrorist Attack After Action Analysis-I

Post by ramana »

Please use this thread for the after action/post mortem/root cause/rhona/dhona/constructive/destructive wallowing.

Thanks,

Mention not.
ramana

Last page of previous thread...

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... start=1200
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Re: Pathankot AFB terrorist Attack After Action Analyisis-I

Post by Aditya G »

From et:

A media team was yesterday taken around the area of encounter and operation led by the IAF.

"The first contact was held at Military Engineer Service (MES) workshop.It was with Garuds. The militants had burnt a bus and damaged a truck", an officer told media persons.

"They ran from this place...And near MES living accommodation, they fired damaging two wheelers and later went to the thick forest area close to the MES canteen", he said.

They resorted to firing here and close to the open patch, three of them were killed.

"We used JCBs to clear a patch of forest area and chopped off some branches and these two places between accommodation and DSC Mess the maximum action took place.

"We contained them in this area only and conducted step-by-step surgical operations to neutralise them. See there is no damage to any of the building except to a two-storeyed building there", the officer pointed out

"They killed one DSC...some meters away they burnt three motorcycles, and at first contact place they burnt a bus. An officer lost life in the open patch area during handling of the militants' body", he said.

Equipped with armoured gear, scores of NSG men are still engaged in the combing operation at the base.

The recoveries include five AK 47, Under barrel grenade launcher, three pistols, three knives, three wire cutters, 28 magazines of AK rifle, 3 pistol magazines, 40 to 50 kgs of bullets, high explosives and mortars, wireless sets, injections, some tables lighters, Indian currency and some handwritten notes in Urdu.

"They were firing through an under barrel launcher", he said. ...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

AdityaG, I saw on Twitter a picture of the DSC Mess where the action took place. Lots of pock marks..

If anyone can post would be grateful.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Wanted to capture the call information. Apologies if posted earlier.

First Call: 12:30 AM
Duration: 60 sec
Content: 3 men discuss safe arrival of fidayeen unit briefly.

Second Call: 12:52 AM
Duration: 32 sec
Content: A man is heard passing instructions to the fidayeen unit.

Third Call: 1:10 AM
Duration: 87 sec
Content: "Control mein Hai?" says voice on other end. "Haan" says a terrorist.

Fourth Call: 1:58 AM
Duration: 70 sec
Content: A terrorist tells his mother he is on a suicide mission. "Allah will take care of all of us", he says. She can be heard crying. She asks him is he has eaten.

Link
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

ramana wrote:AdityaG, I saw on Twitter a picture of the DSC Mess where the action took place. Lots of pock marks..

Is this the one?

Last edited by ramana on 07 Jan 2016 01:29, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed tags. Yes. ramana
Screambowl
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Screambowl »

Motive: To convey Message to GOI that, good relations or bad relations with civilian govt. of Pak. The Army will not change it's foreign policy with India on Kashmir.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

I would like to cast one stone at the media:

Fortunately, the media was not giving tips to the enemy while the operations were still going on. But the media seems to be overly against government and military actions. Granted there were areas of improvements and even some flaws here and there, but some of the big English TV personalities are trying to call the shots - by using former diplomats and former military personnel to drive their agenda. For example, they are forcing these experts to set deadlines for talks, when and how talks should or should not happen. Isn't this the prerogative of the government. Not all party or gov. spokesmen will be privy to all the information, it just makes the gov. look incompetent.

I contrast this with the American media, irrespective of the differences; the TV channels at least during the operations they try to stay neutral and do not present the government as totally incompetent.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

It would be very useful to have a single point of information dissemination. For example, if it were possible for the Govt to hold an official press conference every evening at 7 PM and provide an update on the situation for that day. Let everyone know that information obtained from any other source is at best wrong and at worst will hinder the security of the ongoing operations and the lives of our forces/civilians.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Some pictures, for the record.. (sorry if any are duplicate) (sources are usual news sources)

Entrance of the drain (Some 100mx2m on one of the branches of the Ravi leading to the base) where the other 2 scums seem to entered.. and the shoe prints (EPCOT matching the soles of terrorists) near by... (Link: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/video/foot ... 63651.html

Villages surrounding the airbase:
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Also, just a simple map
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Shameek wrote:It would be very useful to have a single point of information dissemination. For example, if it were possible for the Govt to hold an official press conference every evening at 7 PM and provide an update on the situation for that day. Let everyone know that information obtained from any other source is at best wrong and at worst will hinder the security of the ongoing operations and the lives of our forces/civilians.
But why everyone needs to know everything? I mean all the details on calls and how troops were moved in so n so time... why!!

Next time these rodents will maintain complete radio silence before an attack.

Keep this thread as single point of info, everything else is FUD right now.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sid, By having the press got to un-named sources the GOI is allowing multiple realities where each agency disparages the other is put out.
The battle was won but perception is it was lost.

Mostly by chairborne warriors.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

^^I agree, but DDM will still quote such unnamed folks as any press release by GOI won't corroborate their self loathing/sponsored point of view.

Take CG interception of terrorist boat. Even after a thorough press release and PR session by GOI everyone was still sympathetic to Paki souls. Even Checkojoseph couldn't believe it.

I hate to say it but we need a Gov sponsored mouth piece, not DD but something sophisticated like BBC/CNN/RT. Hire gora people if necessary.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Sid, I don't mean the Govt. needs to provide operational details. But there should be one official source for information (whatever they deem necessary) and it should be made clear that any other sources are not reliable. Else, as ramana says, you have termites crawl out of the woodwork with their fancy ideas about how things should be run or what went wrong.
Just read how many accounts there are about each part of this attack:
- What happened to the SP.
- How they got into the base and when.
- How many terrorists were present.
- Who detected, who engaged first.
- Gunships used for what purpose.
- Casualties and their nature.
- Who is leading the operations.
- Op over or not.

All we have is noise that is drowning out the true heroes that foiled what would be a very bloody nose for us. Random journalists have taken these points and made issues out of them. The focus should be that we as a country successfully protected our airbase from a bunch of highly trained terrorists sent by Pakistan. Not one news headline says that. Imagine when one of the soldiers from the ops goes home and reads the news. What would his reaction be based on the headlines out there?

/edited typo.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Shameek wrote: The focus should be that we as a country successfully protected our airbase from a bunch of highly trained terrorists sent by Pakistan. Not one news headline says that.
/edited typo.

The media is not reporting FOR Indians and the people inside India

The media is reporting for foreign govts and outsiders. This should be known by now. This is psy ops method of the media to cover the Indian social reaction to the west and mould the Indian public opinion away from nationalistic sentiment.
Indian nationalistic spirit is being hidden using such media reports
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Sid wrote:^^I agree, but DDM will still quote such unnamed folks as any press release by GOI won't corroborate their self loathing/sponsored point of view.

Take CG interception of terrorist boat. Even after a thorough press release and PR session by GOI everyone was still sympathetic to Paki souls. Even Checkojoseph couldn't believe it.

I hate to say it but we need a Gov sponsored mouth piece, not DD but something sophisticated like BBC/CNN/RT. Hire gora people if necessary.
Too many leaks from unnamed sources and "analysis" while operations are ongoing. Mostly negative! Same goes for indigenous programs.

There is really a need for controlled press releases from official channels and question/answer forum. Every GoI org needs to have press department, designated spokespeople, and training for others on how to interact with media. Regular meet-the-press forums to clarify points and progress reports. No more silence and avoidance of DDM reporting. DDMs shouldn't be given "free pass" to say whatever they want and get away with it. Publicly refute them.
Screambowl
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Screambowl »

Won’t target Kashmir ultras, Army told Sharif :evil:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/w ... epage=true

Afzal Guru has emerged as a common link between the Pathankot attack and the attack on the Indian Consulate in Afghanistan. Here, a securityman takes position on a rooftop of a building in Pathankot. Photo: AP

Days before Prime Minister Narendra Modi made a surprise stopover in Lahore in December, intelligence agencies had told him that the Pakistan Army had conveyed to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif that they would not take action against “Kashmir-focussed groups.”

The Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW) is learnt to have made a presentation on the issue for Mr. Modi at the DGPs’ conference in the Rann of Kutch, Gujarat, on December 19. In the presentation, the R&AW said the Pakistan Army was against taking action on terror groups active in Jammu and Kashmir such as the Lashkar-e-Taiba, Hizbul Mujahideen and Jaish-e-Mohammad. By then, the talks between the National Security Advisers had taken place in Bangkok.

Mr. Modi was alerted to the influence of the “deep state” and was also told that the newly created Al Qaeda in Indian Subcontinent was being prepped by Pakistan’s ISI to carry out terror strikes in India. This information assumes significance as the 2001 Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru, who was hanged in 2013, has emerged as a common link between the Pathankot attack and the foiled attack on the Indian Consulate in Mazar-I-Sharif, Afghanistan.

Attacks in the name of Afzal Guru

The 2001 Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, who was hanged in 2013, has emerged as a common link between the Pathankot airbase attack and the foiled attack on the Indian Consulate in Mazar-I-Sharif, Afghanistan.

The Pathankot attackers left behind a handwritten note in English in the vehicle of the former Gurdaspur Superintendent of Police, Salwinder Singh. It said the ‘A.G.S’ squad of the Jaish-e-Mohammad planned attacks from Tangdhar (in the Kashmir valley) to Samba, Kathua and Rajbagh (in Jammu) and Delhi to avenge the death of Afzal Guru.

The note was dated December 25, the day Prime Minister Narendra Modi went to Afghanistan and later made a surprise visit to Lahore.

A fidayeen squad (suicide bombers), which tried to storm the Indian Consulate, left two messages written in blood on the walls of the building they had occupied. The messages said their mission was to avenge Guru’s hanging.

A senior government official said infiltration of six Pathankot attackers could not have been possible without the help of a government entity in Pakistan.

“One or maximum two persons will be able to infiltrate the border on their own, but it takes state sponsorship to make six persons infiltrate across the border and, that too, with heavy explosives and ammunition,” said an official.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

A request and a pooch.
1. Could u pls crop the pic showing "pock-marked DSC mess"? There is a dead body lying right there in the foreground, in camo uniform, head towards us. Unless a big zoom lens was used, this seems too close to the Mess to be the Paki whom the brave DSC soldier chased and killed - it is more likely to be one of ours. Should not be shown like this, if that is the case. His family may be reading.

2. Look at the Air base map on the locked thread, last page. So the sh1ts crept in at the point shown. WHY DID THEY GO WEST TO THE DSC MESS? Also, why blow up a bus and truck? Why not go straight south/ southeast to spread their aluminum powder at the bunkers and hit the aircraft before the alarm was sounded?

This gets stranger when you read that 2 din pehle all aircraft and missiles had been moved out of Pathankot. Did the sh1ts know that? If not, item 2 makes no sense. If yes, then (2) makes sense, but I don't understand why they didn't just use up all their explosives to create as much mayhem as possible.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

UB ji,

The Pathankot AFS map on last page of locked thread was wrong. Check google maps for Pathankot AFS. I seriously doubt whatever is shown in that map factually.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Yak Herder that map is nothing like the Kookal Earth image of the airbase
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

We played our part in Pathankot operations, says Army

Do not go by the title....excerpts of the details posted.
Refuting criticism that the Army, which has a large presence in and around Pathankot, was not employed in the operations, Lt. Gen. Singh said Army columns were fully integrated with other agencies that were part of the operations against the terrorists.

“There were some media reports that the Army’s role was limited. That is not correct. While the first contact was by DSC and Garuds, the second contact was made by Army column after a search…,” he said.

Lt. Gen. Singh said that once contact was established with the terrorists, they were localised and an integrated fire base set up with Special Forces and Army columns after which the NSG neutralised the terrorists. “We also used infantry combat vehicles,” he said.

“On the ground, there is total operational synergy which was achieved,” Lt.Gen. Singh told the media at Chandimandir, the headquarters of the Western Army Command.
On the delay in concluding the operation which lasted four days, Lt. Gen. Singh said in such operations, “terrorists tend to go quiet and lie low”. Based on that, he said, the actual time of engagement was only 10-11 hours and not over 90 hours as reported. “You should use the stopwatch method. You should stop when there was no contact… In my perception the total contact period was 10-11 hours,” he said.
Vriksh
BRFite

Post by Vriksh »

The dead body is being pulled to the left using a green nylon string with the Army guy on the right instructing the pullers from a distance due to possibility of booby traps. I think given that the body is fully geared and is likely to be one of the Pakis.
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

The pic is from an earlier encounter and not pathankot. The security man on right is from the police and the body is of a pig.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Indian Air Force Says Pathankot Operations Well-Coordinated
New Delhi: The Indian Air Force (IAF) today asserted that the counter security operations conducted at the Pathankot air base during the terror strike was a well-coordinated effort and contrary to media reports no aircraft was flown out of the base.

Giving details, it said that on receipt of intelligence inputs of a likely attempt by terrorists to infiltrate into military installations in Pathankot area, Air Force Station Pathankot was put on heightened alert status.

Air warriors were issued arms and ammunition to protect vital assets. Air Force Garud Special Forces were reinforced from other Air Force Stations and were deployed at strategic locations around the airfield, the IAF said in a statement.

Aerial surveillance was mounted using night vision and thermal imaging devices on board Remotely Piloted Aircraft, C-130J Special Operations aircraft and helicopters, it said.

"First contact with the terrorists was made through a remotely piloted aircraft. On detection, the terrorists were immediately engaged by the Garuds. One Garud, Corporal Gursewak Singh, was killed in the initial engagement," the IAF said.

Terrorists opened fire on unarmed Defence Security Corps (DSC) personnel in the DSC Mess, where one of the DSC Jawans grappled with a terrorist and shot him dead. However, the DSC Jawan was killed by the other terrorists present there, it said.

"Swift response by the Station resulted in pinning down of the terrorists in a limited area, preventing their movement towards the sensitive Technical zone where bulk petroleum and weapon storage areas were located and also where aircraft were parked.

"A well-coordinated effort by all security agencies including the Army, NSG, local police and Indian Air Force (IAF) succeeded in neutralising the terrorists," the IAF said.

The statement added that the airbase remained operational throughout and flights operated to and from the airfield during the period of engagement with the terrorists.

IAF's assertion comes at a time when experts have slammed the long time taken to conclude the operation against six Pakistani terrorists who had stormed the forward base on Saturday.

They have also questioned the rationale behind NSG leading the operation at a military base rather than special forces of the Army.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

UB, that pic does not seem to be from this op. Paramilitary troop in that pic is from CRPF, check his insignia and uniform. AFAIK its from some encounter in J&K.

Also rodents tend to wear track shoes under IA jungle dress. IA does not do that.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Deployment of NSG 'joint' decision: Army official

Sorry for posting it all, quotes are interspersed through out.
"There was NSG, Air force, Garud commandos. Application of NSG was a joint decision taken at an appropriate level which included service chiefs," said Lt Gen Kamal Jit Singh, GoC-in-C, army's Western Command, told a media briefing here.

There has been criticism of the decision to deploy the NSG personnel flown from Delhi on Saturday morning in the air force base in Pathankot when a larger number of army commandos were available in nearby garrison in the border city itself Army's special forces commandos were said to be better equipped to deal with the siege of the base.

Lt Gen Singh said said terrorists holed up in buildings in the air force station took "advantage" of it which took time in eliminating them.

He said they also wanted to avoid a hostage situation as a large number of families and foreign trainees were residing inside the base.

"The buildings in the air force base station are such that which are located close to family quarters. The final group of two terrorists were in a two-storeyed structure where in the first our own troops were there. They (the families) had to be evacuated first and we had to avoid hostage situation because of that it took time.

"I also want to tell you that within these barracks, which are MES constructions. They are covered with steel doors. It is like sitting inside a bunker inside a building and so terrorists took advantage of it. The final body was recovered from inside of this structure," said Lt Gen Kamal Jit Singh at the Western Command Headquarters here.

Throwing light on the use of fore to eliminate the terrorists, Lt Gen Singh said "excessive" firepower was not used because of the presence of families in the quarters and civilians pockets in the area.

"The basic concept is to safeguard the strategic assets. We also follow a principle of calibrated use of force.

"We have too much fore power which cannot be used in this operation because there were family quarters and civilian pockets outside the air force base. This is why we used that much fire power which was required in that condition.

"For that we had to take even risks. It took time....We had to localise them (terrorists) to a very small area and finally eliminated them. We were under instructions and it was our concept to avoid unnecessary casualties. We took calculated risk so as not to have unnecessary casualties," he said.

"There are strategic assets here and there can be hostage situations as there are 11,000 people live here and 3,000 families, and above all, foreign trainees and had there been any hostage situation, it is NSG body which is specially trained to rescue them," he said.

Lt General further said that it was the success of this operation that Air force was station operational. Had there been any damage to the airport, in that situation how could we have brought NSG here," he asked.

On why NSG was brought in for this operation, Lt Gen Singh said, "NSG was brought in because firstly strategic assets were over here. Secondly there can be hostage situation. People were living inside the campus which could have taken hostage...NSG are special troops (to handle such situation)."

Asked how militants entered the air force base station and what time they entered, Lt General said, "an inquiry has been ordered by airforce and NIA is investigating the case."

Asked when it received the first alert about terrorists, he said, "we got information on January one during afternoon."

"In this case it was a serious alert as we were told that 6-8 (terrorists were there)," he said.

To a question about the source of the alerts, Lt Gen Singh said, "we got alert from Punjab police also and from central agencies."

However, he said the alert issued by Punjab police on December 30, was very general which said that 15 militants had entered into the Indian territory.

On reports about Punjab police's lapse in Pathankot terror attack, he said, " I will not comment on it. It is a subject matter of inquiry."

"We had initially report of 4-6 militants and then we made contact with six of them and all of them were eliminated," he said.

Asked whether there could be any local support to terrorists, Lt Gen said, "some localised support cannot be absolutely ruled out. It will all be looked into. NIA will look into it. All aspects of this case will be looked into it."

Asked why terrorists struck at the air force base, Lt Gen said, "it is strategically important. Imagine the kind of publicity you can gain that you have targeted strategic air base. Secondly it is in the vicinity. It is easy to reach here. It is only 25 km from the area."

On asked about potential hostage situation when terrorists attacked Pathankot air force base station, he said, "it could have developed into a hostage situation. In any case, all along the operation, there was a great possibility of taking a hostage situation because there are air men living in those barracks / residential area.

"They were brought out by army columns, NSG officials.

They were brought down from the windows," he said to a question how two of militants were eliminated.

When asked whether army started any combing operation between the period of getting first alert and attack by terrorists, he said, "combing of those areas was the primary the responsibility of police. We had to ensure security to our strategic assets. Area was checked out and QRT was in place.

Air force also carried out searching for terrorists," he said.

To a question on militant bodies, he said, "There are four bodies of militants. Two have been cooked up. Some parts of bodies were scattered around there which are being forensically examined. The other four bodies which are recovered a call will be taken whether to destroy them or not because they were carrying explosives."

Asked about the cordoning off of Tibri in Gurdaspur, he said, "there is some information. Police and army were looking into it. Every day there are two or three cases of such information it is being checked out." .

Lt Gen claimed that the operation launched against the terrorists was a "complete success" which saw "synergy" between the NSG, Army and Air Force.

"There was no collateral damage during the operation. We all must take into account that there are a large number of civilian pockets in that area. No collateral damage was caused to civilians pocket and villages which is in its vicinity (of air force base station).

"More importantly there were 23 foreign trainees from four friendly countries at air force base station. No one was harmed," he said, adding that this operation was a "complete success".

The foreign trainees are from Myanmar, Nigeria, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan.

"After getting alert about terrorists, a large number of pre-empt action were taken. We sounded red alert. QRT were sent to important places. That is because our reactions were timely (to the attack) and after immediate contact with terrorists, they were localized," GOC-IN-C Western Command said.

"We even side stepped some resources. Some specialized resources like specialized forces, mine-protected vehicles.

They were centrally located and they were side stepped," he said.

"Now combing operations and sanitization are currently on and after sanitization is over, the assets will be handed over to the air force," he informed.

He said out of nine columns of the Army, seven were used inside the air force station while two were kept outside.

"A bomb disposal team, a dog squad and there were nine mine-protected vehicle were there," he said.

"Such operations require turnover. You are under a live situation, so a turnover was carried out and due rest was given.

"Currently, we have two columns, two mine-protected vehicles and bomb disposal teams is inside the station which is helping the combing and sanitization operation," he said, adding.

Talking about the total contact time between security force and terrorists, he said it was 10-11 hours.

"In my perception, the total contact time was 10-11 hours. Balance period is that the terrorists remained dormant," he said.

He also rejected media reports that in the anti-terror operation, there was a limited role of the Army.

"It (media reports) is not correct. Because, the first contact was made by DSC, Garuds (with terrorists). Second contact was made by army column and after that they were localized.

"Third and final contact was made by army. A joint operation was launched in which army column was there, Garud, NSG was also there. Then NSG neutralized them," he said.

He added that Army's bomb disposal team is still working at the air force station in Pathankot and they are playing a "large role" at the base.
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Do we need something like this on the IB at Punjab and other places next to Pakistan.
Mete Sohtaoğlu
‏@metesohtaoglu
Concrete wall built along the #Turkey - #Syria border in #Yayladağı #Hatay
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

ShauryaT wrote:Deployment of NSG 'joint' decision: Army official

Sorry for posting it all, quotes are interspersed through out.

The foreign trainees are from Myanmar, Nigeria, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan.

Is that the reason they went into living quarter area to catch some of their neighbors from west?
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Kashmiri Mujahideen’s squad carried out airbase attack: UJC
http://www.dawn.com/news/1231326/kashmi ... attack-ujc
MUZAFFARABAD: An alliance of Kashmiri Mujahideen groups rejected on Wednesday reports that the attack on Pathankot airbase had been carried out by Jaish-i-Mohammad, a banned militant outfit blamed for the 2001 attack on Indian parliament.“It’s just a false impression. In fact the attackers are a squad of mujahideen drawn from different member outfits in our alliance,” said Shaikh Jameelur Rehman, secretary general of the United Jihad Council (UJC), the conglomerate that brings together over a dozen groups, struggling to overthrow Indian rule in Kashmir.Jaish-i-Mohammad and Lashkar-e-Taiba enjoy observer status in UJC.“All attackers are local Kashmiris, based in India-held Jammu and Kashmir. And they have been facilitated by local Hindu, Sikh and Muslim officers,” Mr Rehman said in reply to a question by Dawn.He said that since the attackers were stationed in areas along the national highway in India, they were referred to as `National Highway Squad’.Mr Rehman said the attack on the airbase was in line with what he called the ‘code of conduct’ of Kashmiri fighters.“We have not hit any civilian but a military installation. Indian troops are killing us and wherever we find any of them we will hit and kill him,” he said.Mr Rehman said that since the peace process between India and Pakistan did not protect the Kashmiris from massacres they (Kashmiris) were not bothered about it.“When our lives, honour and properties are not safe and when our genocide continues with impunity...why should we bother about the peace process?” he said.
When this correspondent contacted Mufti Asghar Kashmiri, in-charge of Jaish-i-Mohammad in Jammu and Kashmir, for his comment, he said: “Those who have carried it out have also claimed the responsibility for that…That’s all.”
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Ah! So! The pock-marked DSC mess wall is not the DSC mess wall but some other wall (chances are then that the pockmarking is because of Army bullets not piggistani bullets), the soldier seen is from some other operation, and the body is of a terrorist. OK.
And the map is not of the Pathankot Air Base but of Sargodha. All clear as mud now, shukriya onlee.
Wonder how much of what is shown/written/ gassed by the DDM/End-de-TeeVee should be believed in this case..

May your goats bee freely into the Ujj River. Which is in Assom?

Amazing quality of reporting. Now a hajaar hajaar links on Googal will show the same map and images, quoting PeeAref. Confusion city in Islamagood. :rotfl:

Green nylon string pulling? Yes, I see what u mean: then there is an imprint where the pig lay, right in front of the bldg, from where the rigor mortis corpse is being dragged. All in a day's work... :shock:
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Media reporting.Arnad has become insufferable,intolerant and imbecilic. He gives no one a chance to air their opinion,even experts like Maroof,generals ,et al and is only interested in masturbating his ego on national TV. Pathetic.

Entrance through drains. The LTTE some years ago entered the Colombo airport/air force base through a drain leading from the main road.They destroyed heaps of aircraft. A close pal,senior SLA offr. was in the departure lounge at the time of the attack and had a grandstand view.Utter chaos. Gratings,grilles ,etc are needed ,but the border is immense. Even the Israelis cannot stop Palestinian intrusions despite their wall,etc.

So while we strengthen border defences,with multi-layered fences with sensors,etc. wherever poss,what happens once the scumpigs get through? They then don security uniforms,such an ancient dodge and with assistance from within India,through traitors and other jihadi cells-we are unearthing almost on a weekly basis Paki agents,etc.,they will be provided with the logistic support to reach their destinations. High value targets like air bases,etc. simply have to restructure their defences and SOPs. In this case,it was poss. that the jihadis crossed over from J&K.In future,they can cross into J&K from the Punjab!

KPS Gill has apparently written about the decline of the Punjab Police. Punjab has v.serious problems.The drug mafia has to be exterminated by central govt. forces. If allowed to fester,it will result in the ISI resurrecting the Khalistani movement. Pak's main prize is J&K,not Punjab.As before,orchestrating events in Punjab will be a diversion for the main attack on Kashmir. I said this in the '80s when the K movement was at its height,and it so happened.

Given the scale of this attack,we are now well versed with the tactics that the Pakis will use in future.Though 7 priceless lives were lost on our side,thankfully it could've been far worse,as we lost no air assets. In that respect,we can take some measure of comfort.

What we cannot prevent is further intrusions.No border is 100% invulnerable,not in the US,Israel,Europe,anywhere. gaps will always be found.The Palestinian tactic,copying the Viets,of tunneling is something that we have to find ways of spotting,through buried sensors,etc. We too should plan to tunnel into Pak for the launching of our surprise raids by spl. forces! Sh*t can flow back to them downstream what! :mrgreen: High time for our covert ops to swing into action.
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

a) there is a price of action and a price of inaction..the leadership needs to make up its mind ! b) this kind of drain which flows from almost all camps/bases/airports..is a very convenient place for ingress..seen it in many place... c) and i thought we had a very credible AD system with indian, french and israeli gizmos and now we need S 400 also before we take the fight to enemy camp?!! i dont see any retaliation happening ...and if at all it happens i would look at 2018/19 timeframe..in time for next elections... i hope like hell it happens.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

This pic is from Gurdaspur. the Building is a police station
Shameek wrote:
ramana wrote:AdityaG, I saw on Twitter a picture of the DSC Mess where the action took place. Lots of pock marks..

Is this the one?

Selection of tweets:
GAURAV C SAWANT ‏@gauravcsawant 11h11 hours ago
Had we hit Pak after Kaluchak & hard. Their army, they Would not have dared to hit us again. We lack institutional memory

GAURAV C SAWANT ‏@gauravcsawant 11h11 hours ago
GAURAV C SAWANT Retweeted Chandru
Samba 16 Cav CO used tanks to bring down building to neutralise terrorist. here BMP put to use effectively

GAURAV C SAWANT ‏@gauravcsawant 19h
6 terrorists killed at Pathankot. 1 by DSC. 3 by army (JAKRIF) & 2 Mech Inf. Good use of ICV & RLs for such Ops: sources. @IndiaToday

GAURAV C SAWANT ‏@gauravcsawant Jan 5
India must start escalating situation along LoC/IB, Pak's west & exploit all fault lines in Pakistan. Let Pak ask for talks
IAF afars on ground previously:

Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 476559.cms?

Singh said the strategic forward airbase of the IAF at Pathankot remained fully functional all through the 'Operation Dhangu', the codename given to the mission to eliminate the terrorists.

IAF planes carried out routine sorties in the border areas for surveillance, communication and reconnaissance, he added. Dhangu is the name of the village where the airbase has been established.

rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Posting an opinion. Not necessarily in agreement because I am sifting through whatever is available, in these days of twisted news.

One contradiction, which may have a plausible explanation is that all air assets were removed from the AFB. Another saying the AFB was fully operational.

Here it is. The last sentence tells it all

http://www.thequint.com/opinion/2016/01 ... ace-for-us
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rajanb wrote: One contradiction, which may have a plausible explanation is that all air assets were removed from the AFB. Another saying the AFB was fully operational.
One comment.

The one thing that is most noticeable near an airbase - much louder than occasional gunfire and explosions is the roar of jets taking off. Unmissable. Landings are quiet, but not takeoffs. With media hanging around the base and filming helicopters - there was not a single report of MiGs taking off on those 2 days. MiG 21 takeoffs are loud and spectacular.
prahaar
BRF Oldie

Post by prahaar »

rajanb wrote:Posting an opinion. Not necessarily in agreement because I am sifting through whatever is available, in these days of twisted news.

One contradiction, which may have a plausible explanation is that all air assets were removed from the AFB. Another saying the AFB was fully operational.

Here it is. The last sentence tells it all

http://www.thequint.com/opinion/2016/01 ... ace-for-us
With full due respect to the retired General, it was not very responsible of him to call DSC a rag tag force. If this is how a retired general describes his own ex-servicemen, betrays some attitude problems.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

shiv wrote:
rajanb wrote: One contradiction, which may have a plausible explanation is that all air assets were removed from the AFB. Another saying the AFB was fully operational.
One comment.

The one thing that is most noticeable near an airbase - much louder than occasional gunfire and explosions is the roar of jets taking off. Unmissable. Landings are quiet, but not takeoffs. With media hanging around the base and filming helicopters - there was not a single report of MiGs taking off on those 2 days. MiG 21 takeoffs are loud and spectacular.
Even i was thinking the same and what mr sawant is telling is plausible , one pig taken out by DSC , 3 others by Army , so we have the pics of those pigs without their shits around. The last 2 are in pieces because of 30 MM , that gives zero NSG kill.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Jan 7 :: High alert in Gurdaspur, Pathankot dists
Security agencies were on their toes and a combing operation was on in and around Tibri military cantonment area here, a day after some locals in a nearby village claimed sighting of two men in army fatigue moving in suspicious manner.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Pathankot attack: Where was 'abducted' Gurdaspur SP for three hours?
The SP is being questioned as a suspect in the case due to inconsistencies in his version of the abduction and the versions of his two companions, a police source said. His role was put under the scanner on Tuesday evening.