India-US relations: News and Discussions III

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
kiranA
BRFite

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions III

Post by kiranA »

Philip wrote:The "Demon-crats" determined to bring down Trump "any-which-way" in this Kremlin-Gate gambit.Unfortunately the Trump-eters have not responded in similar manner .They should ask for details about all US offiicals belonging to the State Dept.,FBI,CIA,who've had meetings with Russian diplomats,spooks,etc.! Such meetings are regularly held and often not made public. These meetings DURING the O"Bomber admin. will prove that even his jokers also had conversations,etc. with the Russians,and what was their content?

The current campaign is reminiscent of the McCarthy era,where the "Reds-under-the-beds" campaign was taken to the extreme,Ronnie Reagan sneaking on his co-artistes,etc. My old man was in the US during that time studying at a famous univ. He recounted how after a large univ. seminar ended and the hall emptied,a couple of "G-men" started removing the hidden recording devices they'd planted before the meeting.When my old man protested saying that this was unfair,they said,"look *&*()^%,we know you're not a Commie ( my old man had written some strong pieces/interviews in the media saying that India would never go Commie,etc.),but you can't tell with these guys!"

The one critical factor that sank Pres. Nixon was the "tapes" that he secretly made at the White House. Had these tapes been destroyed or never made,it would've been impossible to pin him down on "what he knew about the break-in and when he knew it". In Trump's case,we may see in the future secret recordings made by the FBI/CIA/NSA of alleged meetings between Russian and Trump campaigners. That would also show that the O'Bomber admin played dirty by using US intel agencies to spy on the then pres's opposing presidential candidate! That would also be breaking the law. However,the entire reason for Trump's victory,that the underpriviliged US voters came out and voted for him for the loss of their jobs,etc.,etc.
has been lost in the debate. The O'Bomber/Clinton/establishment clique are trying everything to sink Trump. One must ask why? What is there that Trump may find out about Hillary's and O'Bomber's time in office that they're so desperate to hide?

Ridiculous hillary bashing. They are not in power - how can they do a "maccarthy" ?
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

^^^Strange to see some Indians concerned about someone bashing Hillary. What has Hillary Aunty or Trumph Uncle has to do with us Indians, especially when we are discussing their internal politics? :D
kiranA
BRFite

Post by kiranA »

uddu wrote:^^^Strange to see some Indians concerned about someone bashing Hillary. What has Hillary Aunty or Trumph Uncle has to do with us Indians, especially when we are discussing their internal politics? :D
Trump is not internal politics. Maybe you haven't read news in a while but he is president of USA . But Hillary is internal politics thats why I made the post. If you followed these discussions there has been a deeply personal vitriol on hillary in here and some folks simply wont let it go even after the election.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Actually it is quite the opposite.
KL Dubey
BRFite

Post by KL Dubey »

A BS article by Chidanand Raj-phatta:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 467668.cms

This seems to be a routine USCIS procedure to clear backlogging, but for some reason the TOIlet and other newspapers have been running a series of "doom and gloom" articles on issues affecting India-US relations. What is their game?
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Yes, clear backlog by taking away fast track cases. Makes sense. It's not like administration has repeatedly asserted they want to break it down and rebuild.
kiranA
BRFite

Post by kiranA »

Mort Walker wrote:^^^Actually it is quite the opposite.
Are we reading the same message board ? I havent seen that many verbal flings such as "demoncrats" "obomber" "deep state" "billary" against trump and his party republicans. Normally the discussion tends to focus on those in power. I can understand criticism against hillary during election run up (even though it was extremely personal, vicious and nasty here - simply verbatim taken from some standard websites). but beating on her even now ?

I dont have any problem with criticism per se. But when people resort to such childish terminology (esp when there is no clear indian greivance) its clear they are using the board as platform to vent their prejudice.
kiranA
BRFite

Post by kiranA »

KL Dubey wrote:A BS article by Chidanand Raj-phatta:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 467668.cms

This seems to be a routine USCIS procedure to clear backlogging, but for some reason the TOIlet and other newspapers have been running a series of "doom and gloom" articles on issues affecting India-US relations. What is their game?
You are probably correct about USCIS intentions. but not so much in speculating there is a any game here. its just news that sells right now there is concern about h1b any news that can be seen to support it will get more traction.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

@kiranA, seriously? No Indian grievances against Clintons? I guess that Indians seem to be pretty generous if that is the case.
kiranA
BRFite

Post by kiranA »

darshan wrote:@kiranA, seriously? No Indian grievances against Clintons? I guess that Indians seem to be pretty generous if that is the case.
Do you mean clintons - whose family lineage goes right up to pilgrims and plymouth rock - or you mean hillary - whose only power stint which can effect international relations is 4 years as secretary of state - and i dont see any "wars" against india then. I have heard these accusations often here against "evil" "feminazi" "emails" etc I would request Ramana to open a thread titled "Crimes against India/humanity by Clintons" so some posters can start their prosecution there and prevent its spill over to other threads.

But forget India, ppl were pillorying her for emails . Really ? email server ? But enough for now and let it pass.

I
LokeshC
BRFite

Post by LokeshC »

Gus wrote:Yes, clear backlog by taking away fast track cases. Makes sense. It's not like administration has repeatedly asserted they want to break it down and rebuild.
They do this periodically iirc.
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

Gus wrote:
GShankar wrote:In short, whoever gets new h1-b under the cap (change of status from within US or fresh h1-b from outside of US) can only start working in h1-b from October. So, for this reason PP is not really useful imo especially becaue DHS-USCIS will complete processing all the 65k approved h1-b petitions before October (more like May-June).
It is not start date that is being targeted.

denying entry of people with visas turned out to be more problematic for the admin.

Not having PP allows them time to tweak rules and process before visas are issued. I won't be surprised if there are large scale rejections even after lottery picks.
Cancellation of PP has happened in the past. Targeting non-immigrant employees from just 7 xxxxxxx countries caused such outcry including from Tech CEOs. If they target the entire bounty for this year, then good luck with improving business. Personally I don't think that would happen. But don't blame anyone for having that opinion.
bhalluka
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bhalluka »

I am surprised this has not got more coverage in the Indian media.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... ual-abuse/

I think this guy's visa denial was discussed earlier on BRF.

Despite all that this community did for him, the Pakiness had to come out!
Melwyn

Post by Melwyn »

^ Media will never cover any such incident as it involves a peaceful.
But OMG!, the inner piousness comes out oozing as soon he reaches massaland.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Hillary arrogantly said - "We came, We Saw and he died"., and for the dumbocrats she is Virgin Mary.
kiranA
BRFite

Post by kiranA »

disha wrote:Hillary arrogantly said - "We came, We Saw and he died"., and for the dumbocrats she is Virgin Mary.
perhaps you are confusing this forum with "dumbocrats" forum - that forum is over there. Those who are upset with what hillary did to gaddafi and have axes to grind on behalf of gaddafi should choose perhaps other forums ? Even then I am amazed that entire" blame" only goes to hillary but nothing sticks to state department, president, armed forces. Hillary is apparently only the "killary"because of her thoughtless boast and rest the actual executors are saints. weird. Either you oppose them or support the act.

It is clear that there is no real thought put in to those empty slogans of "dumbocrats" "billary" etc but just swallowed hook like and sinkers from the infowars sites etc.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

GShankar wrote:Having free food in gurudwaras is known. Many temples are also doing it these days, especially the vaishnavaite ones including iskcon that i know of in North East. Haven't seen any of swaminarayan types offering free food yet.

But the juice are on the next level. They are projecting the soft (or money) power in other areas due to a co-ordinated internal funding and external spending. An interesting model to project power cutting across US and several nations in the west.
OT

Hindu temples of the past had many functions related to social economic and religious actvities. It was sort of one stop model like a giant walmart where you go to get some solutions.
Each village had many temples but one was a little above the rest with many actvitities going on.

Many in the village contributed to the upkeep of the temples thru various means like - cleaning, giving produce like vegetables flowers fruits etc, making jewels for presiding dieties etc etc. Richer folks gave money and many other costly items. Local rulers cheiftans etc did their needful. On the whole was a community effort. everyone gets food in these temples at varying times of the year. some have food all year round. This varied according to local culture and economy.

There were also competition sometimes between difffertent powerful local families sometimes bloody. But on the whole wqs a small aberration in the routine fucntioning of the temples.

---------------------------------
Nowadays temples are benignly neglected due to money issue and sickularisation. Lof of actvities of temples taken over by other entities including schools dances folk culture etc etc . sickularisation has killed the peripheral actvities and branded Hindu religion as poor barbaric and in negative light with false beliefs.
----------------------------------------
Due to loss of Hindu economy, temples have lost the people support due to sickualrisation above.
A portion of the temple money given is taken away by muslims and christians thru govt sickuar attitude.

-----------------------------------------------

Temples in usa/uk and others countries are slowly improving-- many have some money mostly voluntereed by Hindu devotees thesmelves in various means - money or volunteers or some produce.
these temples are trying to replictae the temples of the past as in India--- have many activties incluidng social and religious functions to increase the closeness of the Hindu community.
various language communities also doe the same-- as in Tamil Kannada HIndi Gujarati bengali marathi etc etc .

OT

-------------------------
some western indologists and their supporters derisively say this is "sankritisation" some even go on to say it is copying christian principles (neglecting /white washing/hiding our good record in community service). of course RSS and etc etc bashing always come in handy.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Less than two weeks ago I was meeting some old friends for dinner and one of them had invited a 'friend' of his, a desi guy with a job in the finance sector. This fella happened to sit next to me at the dinner table, we were squished together since it was a busy restaurant with limited space.

Within a few minutes of meeting him, this guy asked me about Trump and I said I am just curious about how it will turn out. I confessed I did not vote for either of them. He then asked me why I did not vote for HiC, so I said I think she is a liar and generally not good for India which is something I care about.

He spent the next hour and longer tearing into me about why I was an Idiot for even being 'neutral' and how HiC was Mother Theresa and Trump the Devil Incarnate. It was a most bizarre experience since I had never met this guy before and was just being polite. Being squeezed into a small space next to him I could not extricate myself physically or verbally.

Some people are so convinced their own beliefs are all that matters that they will never allow anybody the right to have an opposing point of view. I guess they've never heard of Beatrice Evelyn Hall.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Primus, Desis are too emotionally involved in last election.
shyam
BRFite

Post by shyam »

Long time back I had posted a Trump fan video. Now its version 2 has come for French election. Trump election is a global phenomena and not just a US thing.

Link to old one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDUwXFvTJfA
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

DT now says Obomber tapped him during elections. Same formula when these capabilities used the same against the BJP on behalf of INC ( I guess) as per the Wikileaks chacha. All of this thing quite crazy and nasty ideas the US establishment seems to have now.
kiranA
BRFite

Post by kiranA »

ramana wrote:Primus, Desis are too emotionally involved in last election.
Well, Ramana, I am not sure what is that special perch which allows some here to see all this allegedly in a "detached" manner . But yes vast majority of desis in america live on visas. While those people here nestled in their special perches here trotted off to fight "feminazism" as represented by hillary - many Indian desi women were terrified that Trump means their husbands may not have jobs, their childrens education may be disrupted, the hassle of possible abrupt relocation. While those worthies here enraged at the duplicity of a foreign secretary of state in having an email server at home - indian students were contemplating all the hours they spent scrubbing dishes, their parents money in paying fees may come to naught under Trump as they may not work here.

While Indian companies and hundreds of thousands who depend on IT offshoring were apprehensive about what trump means, worthies here smugly dismissed their concerns laughingly and in mary antoniotte way wondered why cant they make software products instead.

So kinda yes - vast majority of desis here can be expected to react emotionally.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... n-country/
Kent police are looking for a gunman who allegedly walked onto a man’s driveway and shot him, saying “Go back to your own country.”

The victim, a 39-year-old Sikh man,
was working on his vehicle in his driveway in Kent’s East Hill neighborhood about 8 p.m. Friday when he was approached by an unknown man, Kent police said, after talking with the victim.

An altercation followed, with the victim saying the suspect made statements to the effect of “Go back to your own country.” The victim was shot in the arm.

The victim described the shooter as a 6-foot-tall white man with a stocky build. He was wearing a mask covering the lower half of his face, the victim said.

“We’re early on in our investigation,” Kent police Chief Ken Thomas said Saturday morning. “We are treating this as a very serious incident.”

Jasmit Singh, a leader of the Sikh community in Renton, said he had been told the victim was released from the hospital.

“He is just very shaken up, both him and his family,” Singh said. “We’re all kind of at a loss in terms of what’s going on right now, this is just bringing it home. The climate of hate that has been created doesn’t distinguish between anyone.”

In a statement Saturday, the Sikh Coalition, a New York-based civil rights group, asked local and federal authorities to investigate the shooting as a hate crime.

Singh said Puget Sound-area Sikh men in particular have reported a rise in verbal abuse and uncomfortable encounters recently, “a kind of prejudice, a kind of xenophobia that is nothing that we’ve seen in the recent past.”

To Singh, the number of incidents targeting members of the religion, which has its roots in the Punjab region of South Asia, recalls the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks in 2001.

“But at that time, it felt like the [presidential] administration was actively working to allay those fears,” he said. “Now, it’s a very different dimension.”

Sikh Coalition Interim Program Manager Rajdeep Singh, in calling for the hate crime investigation, said in a statement: “While we appreciate the efforts of state and local officials to respond to attacks like this, we need our national leaders to make hate crime prevention a top priority. Tone matters in our political discourse, because this a matter of life or death for millions of Americans who are worried about losing loved ones to hate.”
kiranA
BRFite

Post by kiranA »

This is what I said in my very first post in this particular thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7299&p=2110990#p2110990 "h1b is non-immigration visa. its a trade issue"

This is exactly what indian govt says today "H1-B is a trade issue, not immigration matter: Foreign Secretary Jaishankar"
http://zeenews.india.com/india/h1-b-is- ... 83516.html
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Good call. H1B in the 70s was pathway to greencard..it got diverted to trade in 80s.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Indians are the default Arabs?

Third hate crime in 2 weeks? After Kuchibhotla, Harnish Patel; Sikh man shot in US
A 39-year-old Sikh man in the US was injured when an unidentified person shot him outside his home and allegedly shouted "go back to your own country."
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Dipanker wrote:Indians are the default Arabs?

Third hate crime in 2 weeks? After Kuchibhotla, Harnish Patel; Sikh man shot in US
A 39-year-old Sikh man in the US was injured when an unidentified person shot him outside his home and allegedly shouted "go back to your own country."
Is Harnish patel killing a hate crime ?
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Arjun wrote:
As of now, can't be determined.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

There have been numerous killings of Indian American storeowners (mostly Patels) over the years....usually by local criminals of Black / Hispanic variety. Also there is no evidence that Indian Amreicans are targeted more than other store-owners.

This is the usual stupid Indian media rush to judgement which they normally do when they sense there is a 'story'
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Arjun wrote:
There is fair chance it could be. It was not a case of store robbery. He was killed in front of his house which is 6 miles or 10 minutes drive from his store.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Yes thats what i thought too. No store robbery no house robbery. Just cold blooded 2shot kill. Unless he was mixed up in some gang deal gone wrong, other reasons could only be psycho killer or racial
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

https://www.americanbazaaronline.com/20 ... ths423096/
Harnish Jayantilal Patel, 43, who was gunned down outside his home in Lancaster, South Carolina, on Thursday night, was the fourth Indian American killed in the Palmetto State since April 2015.

Patel, who owned a convenience store, Speedee Mart, had closed the store for the day around 11:24 p.m., and left for home. He was found dead outside his home, a few miles away from the store.

Police have ruled out hate crime as a motive.

In August 2015, an elderly Indian American couple was fatally shot at a Best Western Point South in Ridgeland, S.C., by a 20-year-old gunman.

The bodies of Kantibhai Patel, 72, and his wife Hansaben Patel, 67, were found in their room on August 16, 2015. The Patels had been working and living at the Best Western from 2007.

Ridgeland is roughly 190 miles to the south of Lancaster.

Roughly a hundred days prior to the double murder, Mradulaben Patel, 59, was shot during an attempted robbery at a South Carolina BP in Anderson County on April 30, 2015. She died two days later.

Patel was shot when she refused to give money to her assailant, who had pulled a handgun and pointed it at her.

Convenience stores and gas stations have become especially deadly for Indian American owners and attendants in recent years, not just in South Carolina, but in other parts of the country as well.

April 2015 was a cruel month for Indian American gas station attendants, with two getting killed in separate robbery attempts within the span of 24 hours.

Sanjay Patel, who worked as a clerk at a gas station in New Haven, Connecticut, was killed on April 6.

Within hours, in Peoria, Illinois, Rajesh Madala, 35, was murdered by an unidentified assailant during a gas station robbery.

Two months later, on June 22, Hardip Singh, a 46-year-old clerk at a Big Red gas station in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, was killed by gunmen.

Two men — Lorenzo Kellon and Sha’Quile Ali Carter — were arrested in connection with the murder.

Gas stations and convenient stores are among the most dangerous work places, as attendants have to do business with a number of unsavory groups ranging from cigarette thieves to armed robbers.

Data compiled by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statics, and analyzed by The American Bazaar, revealed that there were 46 shooting deaths in convenient stores and gas stations across the country in 2015, the last year for which complete data is available.
While we are at it why don't we add Kantibai and Hansaben Patel to our burgeoning hate crime list ?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Arjun wrote:This is the usual stupid Indian media rush to judgement which they normally do when they sense there is a 'story'
Nothing wrong with that, per se. We in India are ruled from the 'rape capital' of the world, according to bhestern media, aren't we? Why get so defensive - the only statement ruling it out as a hate crime is that police statement. Sorry, after seeing how Sureshbhai Patel's case evolved, don't ask us to believe everything the police might say, however TFTA they may be.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

First-gen Indian-Americans are more firearm-averse, but second-gen are somewhat less so. Of course, depends on what mom/dad do for a living as well. E.g if first gen are academic types, second-gen are more likely to be firearm-averse. With that said, here's a nice discussion about the subject (incidentally, check out the name of the reader which they announce around 1:30 when they read out the his e-mail :-))

Pretty fair assessment of the issues from both sides of the coin.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Arjun wrote:There have been numerous killings of Indian American storeowners (mostly Patels) over the years....usually by local criminals of Black / Hispanic variety. Also there is no evidence that Indian Amreicans are targeted more than other store-owners.
This is the usual stupid Indian media rush to judgement which they normally do when they sense there is a 'story'
There was a time when Korean store owners were targeted, specially in downtown LA area. These are dangerous, hence cheap to buy for starter families.
Gautam
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The essence of Gita is to remove personal biases. Become stithapragnya. Be in the water and don't get wet.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

ArmenT wrote:First-gen Indian-Americans are more firearm-averse, but second-gen are somewhat less so. Of course, depends on what mom/dad do for a living as well. E.g if first gen are academic types, second-gen are more likely to be firearm-averse.
I do not think you can make such a general statement like that. I carried a hand gun at work, I have 2 hand guns at home (S&W38 and Glock9). But I do not conceal carry though I am allowed to. I am a first gen American, and I guess you can call me academic type.
Gautam
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

g.sarkar wrote:
ArmenT wrote:First-gen Indian-Americans are more firearm-averse, but second-gen are somewhat less so. Of course, depends on what mom/dad do for a living as well. E.g if first gen are academic types, second-gen are more likely to be firearm-averse.
I do not think you can make such a general statement like that. I carried a hand gun at work, I have 2 hand guns at home (S&W38 and Glock9). But I do not conceal carry though I am allowed to. I am a first gen American, and I guess you can call me academic type.
Gautam
I thought you were a cop by profession.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Ex- Indian Navy
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »