India-US relations: News and Discussions III

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions III

Post by chetak »

Paul wrote:So nobody, not even Trump, or Obama has the guts to take on the Military Industrial Complex.

He is not the Messiah to lead USA out of the morass.
just like everyone thought that, Modi the chai wallah, was not??

Modi is by far, the most competent, dedicated and driven PM that India has seen so far. Koi ankh milake dekhe!

He has grown into his job quickly and very comfortably and holds his own with the world's best. He is not the pushover that the other world leaders may have thought that he would be. China would attest to this.

Trump starts out with the advantage of being white, much more polished and with an infinitely far wider worldly exposure.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Paul wrote:So nobody, not even Trump, or Obama has the guts to take on the Military Industrial Complex.

He is not the Messiah to lead USA out of the morass.
It's not about who is capable of taking on MIC but how would you fund the huge spending program on mic , infra without running into trillion dollar deficit and fed not providing stimulus.

They are not in a Regan era where debt is 30% , inflation is 15% and interest at 8-10% and things can go down from there , it's not that Obama handed him a great economy and a budget that's running into surplus like billy did to gwb
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Question is, what drove the spending stimulus leading to the deficit? Defense spending is a holy grail no president has the capital to take on. MIC is an ogre that needs a sacrificial lamb every term, first Iraq, then Libya, and Syria....Trump has to prepare a new offering to the ogre....

More things change, more they remain the same.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

People believed that he can lower tax rates for business and repatriate - by TrumpTalk, $3 trillion.

That is what he is expecting to deliver.

Forget MIC the reconstruction plan, that the Democrats will support, is FAR larger. MIC is, in his terms, peanuts.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Any change DT will bring to the budget that will impact any spending won't happen until 1 OCT 2017. Until then it is BO's budget, but agencies with Continuing Resolution funding from congress may see a change. Generally foreign affairs and defense get agreed upon quickly by both parties. It is POTUS who proposes and COTUS that disposes as the purse strings to power are in the hands of congress. DT will have a hard time in his own party should he try to increase spending on any front.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Per @Agitpapa long time Turkey watcher Flynn got on wrong side of HRC and Obama by writing a report highlighting Erdogan's role in spreading Ifundamentalism in the ME. If true, Flynn becoming NSA is setting grounds for Turkey getting divorced from western world.
Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

And Trump settled a fraud case against himself for $25 million because he didn't want to go on the stand and. E confronted with allegations of fraud and be forced to tell the truth. And yet people have problems with Hillary Clinton and her emails.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

Yes I do and totally different scenarios. No implication on national security. And, please do not expect me to believe that Clintons have not abused any powers or done anything wrong. For people like me, it was anything but Demons and Clintons and would remain so. Corporations for which I have worked for if I had even forgot to lock things up for X number of times, I would have been fired on the spot. And it did not matter even if I had to run down to a restroom for unknown illness. Guidelines are simple and clear when it comes to certain things. Follow or get lost. And no one made Clinton get lost and public noticed it very clearly.
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

Paul wrote:Per @Agitpapa long time Turkey watcher Flynn got on wrong side of HRC and Obama by writing a report highlighting Erdogan's role in spreading Ifundamentalism in the ME. If true, Flynn becoming NSA is setting grounds for Turkey getting divorced from western world.
But then how is he currently the lobbying agent for Turkey (actually some company founded by well connected turkish businessman)? He also has this article - Turkish guvrmand good, mullahs bad

But the article does say the bomber and billiary are silent on the mullah in asylum in US, sponsoring h1b to many pissful junior mullahs.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

This from CNN.
Donald Trump Confirms He Is Considering James 'Mad Dog' Mattis for US Defense Post
THIS is getting to be craji. Going to hit that fan.

BTW, my current thoughts as related to India:

* trump will ask India what she wants to buy from the US to deal with the trade imbalance (std op for all nations)
* will reduce off-shore and H1 visa. Will not subscribe to MII
* will read Pakistan her rights to reel in terrorism, but will also force India to the table on Kashmir. IMHO, it will not be a zero sum game, but will look like one
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Given that many of Trump's advisors and announced cabinet members are highly anti islamic terrorism, Trump presidency will be bad news for India. In terms of defence and intel co-operation, relation between US and India will thrive under Trump presidency.

It is the trade and economic collaboration that will be difficult. Trump is a tough negotiator and does not like to lose. So there has to be some give and take whenever some trade deals need to be negotiated. Expect higher pressure on IP protection, at-least some cosmetic measures against H1B visas, etc.

Trump's main plank is that he will return the manufacturing and service jobs back to US. So MII and India offshore industry will need to really watch out. The good news is that POTUS cannot legally control what an MNC decides to do. So in some of these cases, he would look for some token wins that he could tom-tom to his audience.

A lot depends on his cabinet picks. Lets wait and watch.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Hitesh wrote:And Trump settled a fraud case against himself for $25 million because he didn't want to go on the stand and. E confronted with allegations of fraud and be forced to tell the truth. And yet people have problems with Hillary Clinton and her emails.
AFAIK, DT wasn't directly involved with what his company was doing. And....he wasn't involved in the mass murder of innocents and the destabilizing of nation states including the democratically elected Ukraine. How convenient this was forgotten? Anyways, your side lost. Now deal with what we have and try to make the best out of India-US relations.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Paul wrote:Question is, what drove the spending stimulus leading to the deficit? Defense spending is a holy grail no president has the capital to take on. MIC is an ogre that needs a sacrificial lamb every term, first Iraq, then Libya, and Syria....Trump has to prepare a new offering to the ogre....

More things change, more they remain the same.
US spends more on Entitlement then on MIC and it is the holy grail :)

BO is handing a very weak economy that is already in recession , they are in to 96 months of Business Cycle with no Crash/Recession yet the last was in 2008 , This is very unusual to say the least so is the policy of QE & ZIRP that has inflated the stock market to extereme high levels.

BO promised 3 % growth and what he managed is 2 % , Under Mr. Obama, the total national debt has climbed to $19.3 trillion; it was about $10.6 trillion when he took office in January 2009.

IF Trump promised spending is to be put into effect , Fed has to start its QE 4 program and year of Trillion dollar budget deficit will be hear to stay.

All this at a time when US is almost certainly facing recession , Stock Market likely crash as part of normal business cycle last was in 2008 and Fed Planned Interest rate hike in Dec.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Even the father of UnConventional Monetary Policy Allan Greenspan admits the same

Greenspan’s grim forecast for growth
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

IF Trump promised spending is to be put into effect , Fed has to start its QE 4 program and year of Trillion dollar budget deficit will be hear to stay.
the fed res has nothing to do with the federal budget deficit.

QE which ended over over 2 years ago did not add to the budget deficit. in fact, the fed res earns money for the federal government practically every year.

you can rightfully say that it is a money making proposition for the federal government.

QE was created by the fed res in order to inject money into the economy for people to spend.

and they did spend it......on stocks and bonds and gold.

the only authority to add to the federal budget deficit is......wait for it......*congress*. and is issued by the US Treasury department.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

^^ Thats Not True at All

Borrowing and the Federal Debt
https://www.nationalpriorities.org/budg ... eral-debt/

Rishi Verma
BRFite

Post by Rishi Verma »

NRao wrote: BTW, my current thoughts as related to India:

* trump will ask India what she wants to buy from the US to deal with the trade imbalance (std op for all nations)
* will read Pakistan her rights to reel in terrorism, but will also force India to the table on Kashmir. IMHO, it will not be a zero sum game, but will look like one
And how do you "force" India under NaMo?
Pragmatic Trump wont try what's undoable. On the contrary he will "force" Bakis on their nuke program
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

don't be obtuse Austin.

if congress doesn't authorize it, then no more federal debt can be issued by the US dept of treasury. period. end of story.

the federal reserve does not issue debt. they don't have to. they create, and destroy, money. by fiat.

and you will see them destroy money soon when they raise interest rates in order to fight inflation.
Gyan
BRFite

Post by Gyan »

As usual BRF (ie myself :rotfl: ) is ahead of curve. I had pointed out on this thread itself that USA is gearing up for raising fiscal deficit. Presently lots of Central Banks have well exceeded their Constitutional mandates and are printing huge amounts of money, beyond whats required only for fiscal stability. The better legal and moral course is that printing money should be through higher fiscal deficit done under mandate of Legislature.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Gyan saar,
It is not going to happen. Short of destroying USD as A viable international fiat, the increase in fiscal deficit will achieve nothing. And even if they would want to do it, the earliest you will see that happen is 2018 Oct. TSJ has pointed out that USDX is rising even before US has raised rates. Think how high will it go, if the US does raise rates. And without raising rates, the pension funds and fixed income investments are under water. But by raising the rates, the interest payable by the USG to the Fed rises. The interest payable alone will make the whole idea of meaningfully raising rates (from current 0.37% to 5.00%) for the sake of raising them an exercise of stupidity.

DT would want the fiscal spending for infrastructure, but bond vigillantes will show up.

Tell me how they will do this without upsetting the applecart (aka bursting the bond bubble)?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Rishi Verma wrote:
NRao wrote: BTW, my current thoughts as related to India:

And how do you "force" India under NaMo?
Pragmatic Trump wont try what's undoable. On the contrary he will "force" Bakis on their nuke program
Good question. Am on a cell phone typing, thus very short ans.

On topics related to Pakistan I expect India to do very, very well under Trump. Yet he will want stability (everywhere). That, to me, means get terrorist under control, solve Kashmir (I expect current border to become international) and I will tweak your very important point, bring the PA under civilian rule.

On NaMo. India will be under huge pressure WRT China under Trump. The people Trump had assembled so far, are neither pro nor anti India. They are pro US and they ALL believe in peaceful threats. Peace through strength - as one of them said. NaMo needs trillion to build India. He Will not get that with that region unstable.

A parallel development, along with Trump, the UK, now France and perhaps even Australia are veering right. Japan and India are already there. If Trump can rope in Russia and Germany, not much is left for Pakistan.

Remember Trump also has a stable ME in mind.

??????
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

I'm surprised I didn't see this Steve Bannon quote on these forums ... https://www.cnet.com/news/trumps-chef-s ... ing-asian/
"When two-thirds or three-quarters of the CEOs in Silicon Valley are from South Asia or from Asia, I think..." he began. He then offered this thought: "A country is more than an economy. We're a civic society."
Sounds innocuous but ...
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

schinnas wrote:Given that many of Trump's advisors and announced cabinet members are highly anti islamic terrorism, Trump presidency will be bad news for India.
Given the premise as you stated, why would this be bad news for India? Prima facie, one would think this is good news if being against Islamic terrorism is understood as stated. Now, whether its dems or reps, they are all against Islamic terrorism that afflicts US and its white lackey countries, and they are no different from Trump in this regard. But Trump has been more vocal against Muslims, and as a result, many SDREs are having wet dreams that unlike Obama and Bush, he won't distinguish between bad Islamic terrorists (Al Queda, ISIS, Hamas etc) and good Islamic terrorists (TSPA/ISI and their pigLeTs). Now if Trump includes the latter also as Islamic terrorists which they are, why would that be bad for India?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

one would have thought that indra nooyi would have some sense, rather than to open her mouth in matters that do not concern her.

Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

She is Kissinger's protégé. Her days are numbered. Indian women are more rudaali at HRC losing race than white women were.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

Indra Nooyi is an American citizen and so it is perfectly ok for her commenting on election in her adopted country.

What is interesting is that a lot of non-Americans men and women, Indians included, too felt having lost this election along side Shrillary. Must credit her for building such a dedicate worldwide network of chamchas.

One reason why I felt her win would have been dangerous for India. With her in the WH her henchmen and women in India would have felt much emboldened to take on Modi. They would have had a patron in the WH and the US president would have had a committed network in India doing her bidding.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Well said. These sycophants would have obstructed through congress party goons and would have become a legislative PITA for Modi. They would have "moral support" against a nationalist agenda.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

chetak: that is fake news. Nooyi did not say that from what I'm reading. It is being used to boycott pepsi and energize the tribe.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Paul wrote:She is Kissinger's protégé. Her days are numbered. Indian women are more rudaali at HRC losing race than white women were.
Kissinger's protege? What relationship does Nooyi have with Kissinger? Or were you refering to HRC?

The biggest myth perpetuated, either deliberately or due to incompetent polling and election modeling, is that Trump has no support among college educated whites and women including white women across the board. In reality, whites, both educated and uneducated, male and female voted for Trump overwhelmingly. SDRE elite women, both in US and in India were too taken in by feminist sisterhood and white women showed them their place (I agree that had HRC won, the feminist wannabes among the women elite in India would have been mighty emboldened to pompously and self-righteously play pitbull against ModiJi).

I am not fan of jumping up in glee every time there is an Indian name in the echelons of power or achievement in US, but I do have a lot of respect for many top notch NRIs, and Indra Nooyi is not one of them. I have personally attended her talks, pretty run of the mill I would say. But she better keep her mouth shut and not garner too much notoriety into her statements lest her ethnicity and race becomes a glaring talking point among white nationalists, at which point she is toast.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Yayavar wrote:chetak: that is fake news. Nooyi did not say that from what I'm reading. It is being used to boycott pepsi and energize the tribe.
doesnt matter saar. if its believable, it must be true.
Hitesh
BRFite

Post by Hitesh »

Mort Walker wrote:
Hitesh wrote:And Trump settled a fraud case against himself for $25 million because he didn't want to go on the stand and. E confronted with allegations of fraud and be forced to tell the truth. And yet people have problems with Hillary Clinton and her emails.
AFAIK, DT wasn't directly involved with what his company was doing.
That is rather a disingenuous way of excusing a fraudster. Sure one, two, or three maybe four, your excuse would be plausible. But on a systematic scale involving over 6,000 claims? No this does not excuse DT. After all, DT was the CEO and put his name/brand on the university and insisted on some control over his brand. As the saying goes, the buck stops with him.

And....he wasn't involved in the mass murder of innocents and the destabilizing of nation states including the democratically elected Ukraine.
How does this even enter into this equation? This comes way out of the field and just another example of mud-raking. Hillary Clinton was not involved in that. And Putin created that situation, not the western world, when he stupidly annexed Crimea without any provocation or justified basis.
How convenient this was forgotten? Anyways, your side lost. Now deal with what we have and try to make the best out of India-US relations.
And you have conveniently forgotten that DT has appointed a white nationalist/supremacist to his inner circle and a Southern racist senator who was denied a federal judgeship over his racist views by his own party and he was one of those who supported Officer Parker in that incident where an Indian grandfather was nearly paralyzed.

And DT wants to cut down on the H1-B visa program which allowed Indian IT companies to boom and prosper.

Yeah it is gonna speak very well for India-US relations. Keep living in your own reality distortion field. :roll:
Last edited by Hitesh on 22 Nov 2016 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Bhurishravas
BRFite

Post by Bhurishravas »

Whats with posting images as news.
Is BR turning into whatsapp and FB where such images are peddled without verification.

This what she said.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... oyees-in-/
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

srin wrote:I'm surprised I didn't see this Steve Bannon quote on these forums ... https://www.cnet.com/news/trumps-chef-s ... ing-asian/
"When two-thirds or three-quarters of the CEOs in Silicon Valley are from South Asia or from Asia, I think..." he began. He then offered this thought: "A country is more than an economy. We're a civic society."
Sounds innocuous but ...
The percentages mentioned by Bannon are wildly exaggerated...Indians / Asians are nowhere close to that level of dominance - unless he is including all Jews in non-White Asian category.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Arjun wrote: The percentages mentioned by Bannon are wildly exaggerated...Indians / Asians are nowhere close to that level of dominance - unless he is including all Jews in non-White Asian category.
Thats what struck me too. Reminds me of the delusion peddled by many Indians that some ridiculously high percentage of NASA scientists and engineers are us SDREs. But in Bannon's mind as in the minds of many mainstream whites, its the very visible presence of non whites in positions of power, culminating in Obama's rise to presidency that has brought out the racist, paranoid fears in the minds on many whites that they are no longer "great" (Trump's "make America great again"), or "forgotten people" (read those whites who are so used to job for life in some mine or factory in the mid-west) etc. But in raw numbers, be it in corporate board rooms, be it it in the govt, be it in the media, in every walk of life, whites so overwhelmingly dominate (nothing wrong with that), that all this Bannon talk are just yearnings for ethnic/racial purity, nothing else. Any objective assessment of Obama's legacy or any of the SDRE CEO performance in high-tech like Sundar Pichai or Satya Nadella will show that they have done an outstanding job in making sure America is already great.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

Gus wrote:
Yayavar wrote:chetak: that is fake news. Nooyi did not say that from what I'm reading. It is being used to boycott pepsi and energize the tribe.
doesnt matter saar. if its believable, it must be true.
it is hard not to fall victim if the news is skillfully placed and matches general views being promoted..that is how fake news is making its impact. A kind of rumour mill for specific ends.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Tulsi Gabbard just met Trump and released this statement
"President-elect Trump asked me to meet with him about our current policies regarding Syria, our fight against terrorist groups like al-Qaeda and ISIS, as well as other foreign policy challenges we face. I felt it important to take the opportunity to meet with the President-elect now before the drumbeats of war that neocons have been beating drag us into an escalation of the war to overthrow the Syrian government—a war which has already cost hundreds of thousands of lives and forced millions of refugees to flee their homes in search of safety for themselves and their families.

“While the rules of political expediency would say I should have refused to meet with President-elect Trump, I never have and never will play politics with American and Syrian lives.

“Serving the people of Hawaiʻi and our nation is an honor and responsibility that I do not take lightly. Representing the aloha spirit and diversity of the people of Hawaiʻi, I will continue to seek common ground to deliver results that best serve all Americans, as I have tried to do during my time in Congress.

“Where I disagree with President-elect Trump on issues, I will not hesitate to express that disagreement. However, I believe we can disagree, even strongly, but still come together on issues that matter to the American people and affect their daily lives. We cannot allow continued divisiveness to destroy our country.

“President-elect Trump and I had a frank and positive conversation in which we discussed a variety of foreign policy issues in depth. I shared with him my grave concerns that escalating the war in Syria by implementing a so-called no fly/safe zone would be disastrous for the Syrian people, our country, and the world. It would lead to more death and suffering, exacerbate the refugee crisis, strengthen ISIS and al-Qaeda, and bring us into a direct conflict with Russia which could result in a nuclear war. We discussed my bill to end our country’s illegal war to overthrow the Syrian government, and the need to focus our precious resources on rebuilding our own country, and on defeating al-Qaeda, ISIS, and other terrorist groups who pose a threat to the American people.

“For years, the issue of ending interventionist, regime change warfare has been one of my top priorities. This was the major reason I ran for Congress—I saw firsthand the cost of war, and the lives lost due to the interventionist warmongering policies our country has pursued for far too long.

“Let me be clear, I will never allow partisanship to undermine our national security when the lives of countless people lay in the balance."
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

CRamS wrote:
Arjun wrote: The percentages mentioned by Bannon are wildly exaggerated...Indians / Asians are nowhere close to that level of dominance - unless he is including all Jews in non-White Asian category.
Thats what struck me too. Reminds me of the delusion peddled by many Indians that some ridiculously high percentage of NASA scientists and engineers are us SDREs. But in Bannon's mind as in the minds of many mainstream whites, its the very visible presence of non whites in positions of power, culminating in Obama's rise to presidency that has brought out the racist, paranoid fears in the minds on many whites that they are no longer "great" (Trump's "make America great again"), or "forgotten people" (read those whites who are so used to job for life in some mine or factory in the mid-west) etc. But in raw numbers, be it in corporate board rooms, be it it in the govt, be it in the media, in every walk of life, whites so overwhelmingly dominate (nothing wrong with that), that all this Bannon talk are just yearnings for ethnic/racial purity, nothing else. Any objective assessment of Obama's legacy or any of the SDRE CEO performance in high-tech like Sundar Pichai or Satya Nadella will show that they have done an outstanding job in making sure America is already great.
There is no doubt that certain communities, primarily Indians Chinese and Jews are way over-represented in certain elite measures of performance compared to their population percentages. Non-Jewish Whites also hold their own compared to population percentage, Hispanics and Blacks are hugely underrepresented. If you slice by religion - Muslims as in most other parts of the developed world, are also hugely underrepresented in elite circles.

Absolutely nothing wrong in having a conversation around these trends - there is nothing racist in that whatsoever. I think Bannon is trying to get his point across that there needs to be a conversation and the deafening political correctness of leftist America has to go. I entirely agree with him - except that in his eagerness to get his underlying point across he has relied on completely inaccurate figures.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Gagan wrote:Tulsi Gabbard just met Trump and released this statement

While the rules of political expediency would say I should have refused to meet with President-elect Trump, I never have and never will play politics with American and Syrian lives.

“Where I disagree with President-elect Trump on issues, I will not hesitate to express that disagreement. However, I believe we can disagree, even strongly, but still come together on issues that matter to the American people and affect their daily lives. We cannot allow continued divisiveness to destroy our country.

“President-elect Trump and I had a frank and positive conversation in which we discussed a variety of foreign policy issues in depth. I shared with him my grave concerns that escalating the war in Syria by implementing a so-called no fly/safe zone would be disastrous for the Syrian people, our country, and the world. It would lead to more death and suffering, exacerbate the refugee crisis, strengthen ISIS and al-Qaeda, and bring us into a direct conflict with Russia which could result in a nuclear war. We discussed my bill to end our country’s illegal war to overthrow the Syrian government, and the need to focus our precious resources on rebuilding our own country, and on defeating al-Qaeda, ISIS, and other terrorist groups who pose a threat to the American people.

“For years, the issue of ending interventionist, regime change warfare has been one of my top priorities. This was the major reason I ran for Congress—I saw firsthand the cost of war, and the lives lost due to the interventionist warmongering policies our country has pursued for far too long.

“Let me be clear, I will never allow partisanship to undermine our national security when the lives of countless people lay in the balance."
She sounds like the first woman President of America 8)
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

TRUMP is RIGHT on US DEBT

Marten
BRF Oldie
Location: Engaging Communists, Uber-Socialists, Maoists, and other pro-poverty groups in fruitful dialog.

Post by Marten »

hnair wrote:
Gagan wrote:Tulsi Gabbard just met Trump and released this statement
She sounds like the first woman President of America 8)
She will probably be hunted out by the Libtards. Sounds like a sensible middle-pather. In 8 years, she needs to be at Trump's throat and showing policy strengths. I still think her religion will ensure not one from the left or right will elect her. For all their talk, Donkey vs. Elephant is more of which Xtian sect vs. which.