REPUBLIC DAY 2017

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
ManuJ
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: REPUBLIC DAY 2017

Post by ManuJ »

Indranil, that's a very poignant story.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Indranil saab,
I can relate to that first hand.. The relatives of the martyrs in the Armed Forces do not usually cry or show any overt sign of grief in public. Like Lincoln so eloquently puts, the solemn pride at their relatives deeds overrule their own emotions.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

any info about UAE marching dasta at start of the parade
(I mean unit/regiment/awards/commander etc)
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

We should've had our desi milware on full display.A great pity.The Agnis,Prithvi/Dhanush,Shaurya/Prahar,K-series of missiles, plus more models of desi warships and subs built here,like Arihant,Kalvari,Shivaliks,P-28s,IAC-1 (in the making) etc. our desi helos-ALH,LCH<etc., and 3 Arjuns leading the pack,would've made an unforgettable memory in the eyes of the visiting UAE VVIPs. This would've done more to convince them to side with India rather than Pak than any long meeting with MEA mandarins.As they say,"a picture speaks a thousand words"
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I did not want to say anything more on this subject, but hakeem I can't agree with you on this.
shiv wrote: Respect to the wife? What I have done is essentially send the man to his death. I can make excuses that it is his job and he is paid for it. But he goes ahead and dies protecting me and my family - and then I make a big song and dance about respecting his widow? I can imagine the worst scum among leaders who have taken bribes and delayed defence equipment also "standing up to give respect to a woman whose husband is dead" . Would she able to show her anger by throwing the award at a useless leader who is getting limelight and credit at such a time? What sort of chicanery is that?
You gave it a weird spin here. If you feel that the nation and its people are guilty of sending the man to his death, then we should hang our heads in shame. Definitely not slouch back on a comfortable chair, place one leg on another and/or browse a catalog.

And is standing up solemnly in respect equivalent to a song and dance? If yes, I prefer the song and dance.
shiv wrote: It is NOT the PM who is honouring the man or his lady. It is the entire nation. The respect that the nation pays is embodied symbolically by the president. It is not as though Pranab Mukherjee is doing it for himself. Asking the entire nation to stand up at that time would be unimplementable. How does an elected leader place his respect and sympathy over and above that of the nation?
Just saying. making the whole nation sit down to emphasize the President is standing for the nation is equally unimplementable.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

shiv wrote:
Indranil wrote: Hakeem, you asked where does respect stop? I ask you, will you be able to stay seated even if the President, PM, RM and everybody has already paid respect?
Respect to the wife? What I have done is essentially send the man to his death. I can make excuses that it is his job and he is paid for it. But he goes ahead and dies protecting me and my family - and then I make a big song and dance about respecting his widow? I can imagine the worst scum among leaders who have taken bribes and delayed defence equipment also "standing up to give respect to a woman whose husband is dead" . Would she able to show her anger by throwing the award at a useless leader who is getting limelight and credit at such a time? What sort of chicanery is that?

It is NOT the PM who is honouring the man or his lady. It is the entire nation. The respect that the nation pays is embodied symbolically by the president. It is not as though Pranab Mukherjee is doing it for himself. Asking the entire nation to stand up at that time would be unimplementable. How does an elected leader place his respect and sympathy over and above that of the nation?

Well said. Most of the posters here whingin about PM not standing up is starting to get annoying. Would've been normal in an AAPtard facebook page, but not here.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Many here have said that it is not about the PM or the RM, but anybody in that position. But going back to saving the PM/RM belongs to the bhakt facebook page, but not here.

That is definitely the last on this from me. It is futile.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Indranil wrote: You gave it a weird spin here.
No more spin than talking about honouring his wife when it is the dead man who is being honoured, not his wife. Can't understand why people are talking about honouring a grieving widow when it is her husband who is the hero being awarded. If not his wife it could have been a grandfather or son who collects the award. No point in confusing sympathy for the wife/family with according honour to the hero which is what seems to be happening here. And the President represents the country , not the PM . Symbolically - when he stands in respect it is the nation standing in respect.
Last edited by shiv on 27 Jan 2017 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

jamwal wrote: Well said. Most of the posters here whingin about PM not standing up is starting to get annoying. Would've been normal in an AAPtard facebook page, but not here.
Jamwalmian, its not Modiji or Parrikar here, its about being humane, its about basic humility and courtesy, that is all.. Imagine that she had walked past you while you were simply sitting, wouldn't you show your respect to her having known who she is?? As Rakeshji, indranilji and many others have stated, by not doing it they are not in the wrong, but by doing it they are so much more in the right.. If protocol prevents them, then they can do it while the relatives of the posthumous award winners are walking past them..

In any case the last I have to say on this..
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Rakesh wrote:shravanp: What is wrong with you? How does the PM, RM or anyone else on that stage, to emulate what the President did, demeans them or the office they hold? Explain that first. Protocol comes later.
If the PM & RM both were to get up, and the President is already up, then what about the Chief guest.
He would be the only one sitting uncomfortably(and the wives)
a bit of a messy protocol issue

Hasn't this always been the case in every republic day. Instead of standing up, the minimum is to expect rapt attention from the DM/PM/everyone on stage
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Bala Vignesh wrote: Jamwalmian, its not Modiji or Parrikar here, its about being humane, its about basic humility and courtesy, that is all.
If the wife had been unwell or unable to attend, and had nominated a nephew to receive the award would the same basic humility and courtesy have been demanded?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

I feel that the DRDO contingent was too small with just 2 products, we need to display more
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Please watch this video for 2 minutes from the point linked below
https://youtu.be/rhQ98VkhXRI?t=910
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

well well well

https://twitter.com/ShivAroor?ref_src=t ... r%5Eauthor

(can some kind soul inline the picture here)

It seems during hollande's visit the PM did stand up

So darbari protocol excuse goes out of the window

Now I need to find the whole clip to see what happened

offcial clip of last year cuts out to some lt Gen section and by time it zooms back they are all standing - but it makes me wonder if HollAande standing up forced the issue
Last edited by Surya on 27 Jan 2017 21:50, edited 3 times in total.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

shiv wrote:
Bala Vignesh wrote: Jamwalmian, its not Modiji or Parrikar here, its about being humane, its about basic humility and courtesy, that is all.
If the wife had been unwell or unable to attend, and had nominated a nephew to receive the award would the same basic humility and courtesy have been demanded?
Yes
shravanp
BRF Oldie

Post by shravanp »

I think this discussion over PM/RM not standing up is getting a bit ridiculous. Move on please.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Surya wrote:
shiv wrote: If the wife had been unwell or unable to attend, and had nominated a nephew to receive the award would the same basic humility and courtesy have been demanded?
Yes
I will wait for a suitable opportunity to see if that happens.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Why Republic Day Parade is free advertising for foreign arms companies
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... 805977.cms
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Indranil wrote:My parents, being civvies, got scared. They made sure that I miss the NDA forms. To this day, they have not heard the last of it from me yet. My father has asked for my forgiveness on this many times. He knows he won't get it. It is my biggest regret and will be so to the end of my life.
To not stand up for the family of the recipient of the highest gallantry awards posthumously. That is is shameful to me. And will stay so to my last breath.
Let the regret go, Indranil ji

"They also serve who only stand and wait"

The motherland may call out to you someday yet, in some way... and when you do answer at that time, you could be left with another regret, one which might be too late to undo...
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

shiv wrote:
Surya wrote:
Yes
I will wait for a suitable opportunity to see if that happens.
Shiv Ji

I know you didn't mean it in the way you have written... let's not be in wait for an opportunity to see the young son, daughter, nephew or niece of a Martyr receiving an award, any more than we want to see the devastated wife or the heartbroken parents.

Let us at BRF express our gratitude towards their sacrifice for us and the motherland, in the dignified way in which they deserve.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

In-spite of inclement weather, Republic Day celebrated with full enthusiasm by 24 Btn, CRPF at Jawahar Tunnel, J&K
https://twitter.com/crpfindia/status/824833045173772294
BajKhedawal
BRFite

Post by BajKhedawal »

Oh my god!!! this is become like clockwork now.

So much drama over this sitting in the audience business. Martyrs and family are being honored at the highest stage in our republic's eyes in the most solemn, somber and respectful manner and yet this rona-dhona? Would you now rather our PM/RM in true bollywood estyle wash the recipient’s feet and drink the water to satisfy your saas-bahu type hyper-drama-expectations?

On a side note in any TV footage covered event if there are eight cameras covering such an event, at any given moment you only see what one of them is showing (in cameraman’s wisdom of what is worth showing); that does not meant what happened out of its coverage did not happen just because that one camera did not show it while you happened to glance at TV to selectively outrage about. It gets even more ridiculous when people comment about a photograph taken at 1/1000th fraction of a second and say our dear RM had his hands in his pocket playing with his gotties instead of looking at the jawans.

If you are such a better person than our PM/RM why the heck have you not personally honored the sacrificing family, visit in person to show solidarity, or even sponsor their kids’ education for life like one Surat businessman did recently?

I tell you why, because most here seem to be all bluster and talk, but no action.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rare video of composer of NATIONAL ANTHEM, Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore reciting his composition
https://twitter.com/Archu243/status/824552026021453824
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

This Republic Day, witness the legendary precision of the Nissan GT-R creating a record on India's legendary soil...
https://twitter.com/Nissan_India/status ... 6939923456

World’s largest outline of a country’s map – A record by Nissan GT-R. Legendary precision salutes India.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

A snap of the first Republic Day, which was celebrated on January 26, 1950...three years after we got independence
https://twitter.com/farah_khan081/statu ... 5336955905
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/E2GZoer ... -wife.html
A portrait of a soldier’s wife
Chasen Lowang, who received the Ashok Chakra on behalf of her husband Havildar Hangpan Dada, killed in battle at the LoC, shares memories of their life together
She’s scheduled to have tea with the President at Rashtrapati Bhawan a couple of hours after we meet. Everyone, including the chief of army staff and the Prime Minister, has paid their respects.
It is good to know that Parnab Babu did the right thing.
Gautam
Picklu
BRF Oldie

Post by Picklu »

It is ok to say what the PM/RM should or should not do but not ok to say what other postors should or should not do (or post)....

In the memory of all the shining toys on the Rajpath, keep fighting folks.
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

I only managed to see the parade last night, was at work all day.

Thirty years or more after leaving the pitrabhumi, I am still moved to tears on Republic Day. Happened thrice during the time I spent streaming the video from youtube to my TV. The first time when Hangpan Dada's widow was receiving the prize, the second time the NSG commandos were marching and the third time when Agni 5 was displayed. Dear Departed Dad would have been so proud, since the original Mk1 and the Prithvi were his children.

I've been able to see only three RD parades in their entirety in the past several years since it has always been difficult until DD started streaming it on Youtube. I must confess this was was the worst coverage possible. They cut off most of the 'Daahine dekh' moments for the marching contingents and of course messed up the flypast big time. The parade itself could have been much better, with more regiments represented. I would have preferred the Brigade of the Guards marching instead of in the tanks. Just hearing 'Garud ka hun, bol pyare' gives me goose pimples every time.

Another thing. Would have loved to see Tejas close up on Rajpath, as well as a better shot of the fly past.

Finally, IMHO while yes, it may appear good on television, the PM should not have to stand for the widow of the hero when the President is doing so. It diminishes the stature of the head of the government. There are so many unsung heroes. Does the sacrifice of the soldier who is awarded a lower medal (or none at all) of lesser value in any way? Their widows and orphaned children are equally affected. Who cries for them? Is it always about the widow? What about the mother whose only support in her old age may have been this braveheart? I was so affected by Kargil that I went and met the family of one of the shaheeds from my ancestral hometown and found that there was no government program for the widowed mother!

We are all jingoes, all of us. In our hearts and minds we know what is right, what we want for our motherland. This is not about Bhakts. For the first time in over a thousand years there is a 'Purushottam', a true son of the soil at the helm of affairs. Let him lead us where he will.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

PM, in fact all present on desk should have stood up in respect to soldiers who awarded posthumously no matter what kind of medal he/she have gotten.

After all it is supreme sacrifice.

-Ankit

Note:- It is also fact that we are expecting stars and moon (not referring scenario we are discussing) from the PM while it was given that even nickel or dime won't be coming from PMs and others in past.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

There is chief guest sitting next to PM. If PM stands leaves him seated will be bit disrespectful to the soldier/widow and awkward to the guest and us as host. Now guest also standing will be seen uncalled for. So I think it is better to send a highest representative in the form of president to give award.

For the respect, I think we should invite all families of martyrs (of that year) on the day and paying respect to Amar Jawan Jyoti before the parade should be a grand event. (which today in its form kind of looks like PM's private tribute)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

abhijitm wrote:There is chief guest sitting next to PM. If PM stands leaves him seated will be bit disrespectful to the soldier/widow and awkward to the guest and us as host. Now guest also standing will be seen uncalled for. So I think it is better to send a highest representative in the form of president to give award.

For the respect, I think we should invite all families of martyrs (of that year) on the day and paying respect to Amar Jawan Jyoti before the parade should be a grand event. (which today in its form kind of looks like PM's private tribute)
Actually if everyone must show respect then it must happen across the board for all service awardees and not just representatives of those who died. It is the pretence of special respect for just the relatives/representative of those who died that appears like chicanery to me - as if dying is more worthy than valour that ends with survival of the hero.

Regarding "standing", anyone who has watched award ceremonies - which are shown on TV at least twice a year would have noticed that no one stands. Interpreting that as disrespectful is weird cultural spin. In fact traditionally one must bow or fall on one's knees and appear lower in stature than the person you respect and not stand towering over them. How about asking all to do "saashtanga namaskaar" - which is what I really should have done to the parents of Sandeep Unnikrishnan when I met them. I settled for tears in my eyes, a namaste and a bow.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

"Actually if everyone must show respect then it must happen across the board for all service awardees and not just representatives of those who died. It is the pretence of special respect for just the relatives/representative of those who died that appears like chicanery to me - as if dying is more worthy than valour that ends with survival of the hero. "

of course. stand for all.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Last edited by AdityaM on 29 Jan 2017 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

#Beatingretreat started with the soundtrack of the movie Last of the Mohicans

https://twitter.com/ani_news/status/825684609295736833

Followed by Indian classical music. This is not military marching music :(
Military bands playing while sitting cross legged
jayasimha
BRFite

Post by jayasimha »

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease. ... lid=157687

some one wanted to know i think.

The highlights of this year’s Parade will be, a 149-member UAE Presidential Guard, the Air Force, the Navy and Army contingent led by a UAE band consisting of 35 musicians marching on Rajpath and presenting a ceremonial salute to the President of India. The UAE military contingent is led by Lt Col Abood Musabeh Abood Musabeh Alghfeli.
B Upadhyay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by B Upadhyay »

Hope that this time the flypast will be telecast properly this year (2018) as they got it wrong last time (as testified by comments on page 2)...I hope that I&B ministry has taken the necessary steps to rectify it this time. Also with all ASEAN heads of state coming, cameraman should not get confused and keep showing them instead of the march past.