Understanding US thread-III

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding US thread-III

Post by Gus »

I don't understand that NASA guy story. He had massa passport - why was he pulled out for scrutiny and given same treatment as the ones from banned countries. just 'muslim looking'?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

He looks like a typical science phd type
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

Gus wrote:I don't understand that NASA guy story. He had massa passport - why was he pulled out for scrutiny and given same treatment as the ones from banned countries. just 'muslim looking'?
That is the whole point of the new Admin. Brown people < White People.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

deleted
Last edited by NRao on 15 Feb 2017 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Maybe he declared his phone at Chilean Customs - and the friendly English-speaking agint there just happened to have some Free Biscuit / Culinary contacts, so they wanted to see what he was doing with that gadget in Chile. Clearly the request to open phone came as part of "enhanced screening" or whatever. It's not like: "how long u been out of the country? Oh, unlock ur phone!" They had him marked for enhancement.

The other question is what else he was carrying. If u go for ur "hobby" of solar car racing, u probably carry a couple of suitcases of stuff that has to be declared for ITAR compliance. Ppl I know have got in serious trouble taking UAVs to Canadian border for international competitions. So I assume he HAD filled a bunch of forms. And stayed a while, apparently.

For all u know, the friendly tipoff may have came from JPL security to pls get his phone checked when he returned, and get them a printout of numbers called and locations in the GPS directory.

I still point to the fact that TSA agints are small fry - not given to challenging things that are really US Govt Bijnej. It's not like bulling Aunty Manju or Uncle Shahrukh. Inter-agency love-fests are notorious.
TSJones
BRF Oldie

Post by TSJones »

the general mike flynn affair is the purview of the fbi and the dept of justice not the cia and the pentagon.

the free bird institute has an extensive black ops dept and budget.

and they are very jealous about it.

it would be hard to separate the cloud and the free birds, both hardware and social engineering.

true the NSA may provide some facilities but the free birds legally rule. the free birds most of the time don't need the NSA, they just jump right into the cloud itself. all nice and legal. use the cloud's own computers in fact.

it's called "court order. suspicious criminal activity. russian government."

sometimes I think this thread should be "MIS-understanding" the US thread.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Indian IT better have a Plan B. Trump and his group are serious about doing "something". It may hurt the US in some ways, but he wants to show what he said he will show, and India has to have a contingency plan.

I think the problem is not H1B but L1. L1 dumping by making use of loopholes or outright fraud needs to be curtailed.

White House H-1B plan puts U.S. workers in front
A top White House adviser Sunday outlined two key principles underlying the administration's approach to H-1B reform. It wants a system requiring employers to first consider U.S. workers for a job before hiring visa-holding workers, and it intends to distribute H-1B visas under a "merit-based" system.

Stephen Miller, senior policy adviser for President Donald Trump, said the administration will seek an immigration program where "American workers are given jobs first."

In a television interview Sunday on Meet the Press, Miller also said that Trump "has made clear" his interest in creating "a merit-based system where individuals coming into the country bring the kinds of benefits economically that will grow our economy and help lift up wages for everybody.".

Miller is no Johnny-come-lately to the H-1B visa issue. Before joining Trump's presidential campaign, Miller worked as a top aide of former Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), who was confirmed last week as attorney general.
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Just like 2008 financial crisis moved certain pure investment banks into commercial banks. Indian IT should move from services based to product based. There are so many smart and talented programmers already employed by these firms.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

UlanBatori wrote:I still point to the fact that TSA agints are small fry - not given to challenging things that are really US Govt Bijnej. It's not like bulling Aunty Manju or Uncle Shahrukh. Inter-agency love-fests are notorious.
Brother of third uncle of schoolmate once removed was in the Army a few years ago and had a high level security clearance. Part of his job was to act as a courier for sensitive materials and physically transport them from place to place. So this one time, he was given a laptop to courier over. Laptop was clearly marked as "top secret", "Property of US Army" etc. and he was in uniform, had military ID and ticket was purchased officially by the Army as well. Nevertheless, he got pulled out of line by the TSA and checked. Then the TSA agents demanded that he turn on the laptop. He looked the TSA agents in the eye and told them that they were welcome to scan his laptop for radiation or whatever, but if that laptop left his sight or anyone attempted to open the lid and turn it on, he would fetch some real cops to arrest them and inform the FBI to question them all. Big shouting match ensued, they threatened to keep him waiting for a while so he would miss his flight, he said "go ahead boss, I didn't purchase this ticket, the Government did, you do realize that higher ups may want to inquire why I'm delayed etc." In the end, laptop never left his sight and they finally let him to board his flight.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The trouble with all this is that TSA agints may also have watched "Fauj 10 from Navarunnissa" or "The Fourth Fatwa", "The Din-ul-hyena" etc and hence have a healthy skepticism of uniforms, "TOP SECRET" markings etc.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Seriously, TSJi where in the US Constitution does it say that a US citizen needs permission to say "Hyawdy Rooskie" to an accredited foreign diplomat? I don't understand this whole thing. So if I go to a party at say the Venezuelan Consulate, I can't run for NSA? I've been in plenty of parties where there were ribbon-decked military officers, diplomats, and just plain old spies all round, mixed with the usual stupid ppl. I didn't know that all those officers were committing treason by gorging on the turkey and rye.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

^^aren't you deliberately doing a conway here - he didnt just say howdie ? The issue is not that he talked but what he talked and his role in the administration. One can disagree on seriousness of the error (or whether it is an error) but it is not a simple Hyawdy Rooskie.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

arre, the yak herder IS our resident conway... :-)
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Any way check Logan Act (not US Constitution). IIRC Nixon did not authorize the break in but once he found out he tried to hide it and it cost him the Presidency. Likewise Flynn may not have done any thing by saying 'Hyawdy Rooskie' (FIVE TIMES IN ONE DAY) but lying to the Veep is no, no. Besides who knows he might have fallen on his sword, which Dean refused to do but some others did and went to jail.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Contact with Trump's operatives and the Russian intelligence precedes Flynn's December phone call to say "Howdy Ruskies" 5 times. The issue is much more serious than watergate. Here Trump's operatives collaborated with the Intelligence Service of America's #1 enemy.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

increasingly clear that trump is out of his depth... that random throw away line with Bibi about 'hey one state two state you happy me happy abdul happy all happy' is what exactly!??!
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

I am surprised that there was no further questions into all that bluster about taiwan, anti-china rhetoric and how they are cheating etc blah blah...and a quiet acquiescence of one china to chinese premier. what did US get out of all this?
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

Gus wrote:I am surprised that there was no further questions into all that bluster about taiwan, anti-china rhetoric and how they are cheating etc blah blah...and a quiet acquiescence of one china to chinese premier. what did US get out of all this?
He is just a sound bite President. Says what his base wants to hear. Issues policies that show his base that the under Trump, white > brown and that is about it.

But he will blink on anything major. Chinese sale of U. S. Treasury securities that have pushed rates up 100 basis points have shown him the power of Asia holds over the USA.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Gus wrote:I am surprised that there was no further questions into all that bluster about taiwan, anti-china rhetoric and how they are cheating etc blah blah...and a quiet acquiescence of one china to chinese premier. what did US get out of all this?
Who is going ask? I mean if you watch press conferences (either of POTUS or the Spicey) you will notice they only pick ultra right wingers who are happy with alternative facts while the fake news guys are left in cold.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

"Our government continues to be in unbelievable turmoil. I hope they sort it out soon because we're a nation at war."
The head of US Special Operations Command, General Raymond Thomas.

Another General on the way out?
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

komal wrote:
He is just a sound bite President. Says what his base wants to hear. Issues policies that show his base that the under Trump, white > brown and that is about it.

But he will blink on anything major. Chinese sale of U. S. Treasury securities that have pushed rates up 100 basis points have shown him the power of Asia holds over the USA.
Chinese holdings of US treasuries is down $188 billion in the last year even before Trump won the election, it has less to do with Trump and more to do with shoring up the Yuan. Further, they may buy new US Treasury 10-year notes with a higher rate of return. It is the US Federal Reserve which has been raising interest rates based on provisional data they have about inflation.

The US is financially between a rock and a hard place with high current account deficits, debt servicing and inflation. What saves the US is that the energy trade is in US Dollars and US govt. debt is in its own currency that it prints and controls.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Trump is running out of luck. :eek:

Medieval-style drugs catapult found on US-Mexico border

A device to beat his "wall". Already manufactured and in use.

The cat was welded to the current wall along the border.

I think Trump should negotiate with the drug lords of Mexico.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

And the tunnels.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Lots of shouting and posturing, but what exactly is the law saying that a U.S. Citizen is not allowed to talk to an accredited foreign diplomat 5 times in a day? 10 times in a day?

As to what he discussed, what is wrong with the future president assuring the leader of a foreign power that if he gets elected, he will improve relations and reverse the traitorous policies of his terrorist-aiding predecessor? I think diplomats are SUPPOSED to talk to other diplomats, are they not? Or maybe he was setting up a visit by the Miss Russia contestants to Atlantic City.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

There is a 2015 movie Sicario where the CIA tries to install their own drug lord so they can have some measure of control over the trafficking. One of the CIA guys say its the best they can hope to do as long as there are Americans who are willing to inject drugs into them. Drugs will be harder to stop, but the people should be easier.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Here is my all time fav.

Robot makes money off Trump's tweets and donates it to the ASPCA
One tech firm wants to capitalize on President Trump's Twitter trolling -- and save puppies in the process.

Austin-based marketing company T3 has created a robot -- dubbed the "Trump and Dump" -- that analyzes Trump's Twitter feed. Every time the president sends a negative tweet about a publicly traded company, the bot automatically short sells that company's stock, which means the bot essentially places a bet that the company's stock price will go down.

And they've been making money doing it, says T3 President Ben Gaddis. The proceeds are then donated to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Nsa not sharing top secret intel with white house for 3 weeks now...

http://observer.com/2017/02/donald-trum ... n-embassy/

Full bagawat by the cold war intel community
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Cia also denied top secret clearance to one of flynns reportees lol
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Err...Flynn was private citizen, not a diplomat or advisor when he entered in negotiations with a foreign power.
amritk
BRFite

Post by amritk »

The State tightens its coils some more. I was a bit surprised when a close relative chose not to go to a top 10 university in the US last year, opting to work in another country instead, but I'm starting to feel he did the right thing. May no longer be worth sacrificing your youth to get in, and then to have your kids be treated like this. Things have been on a downtrend since the state seized power following 911 and Indian Americans are behaving like frogs in warming water, instead of closing ranks. And young Americans in general have no experience or recollection of things as they were.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

ArmenT wrote: Brother of third uncle of schoolmate once removed was in the Army a few years ago and had a high level security clearance. Part of his job was to act as a courier for sensitive materials and physically transport them from place to place. So this one time, he was given a laptop to courier over. Laptop was clearly marked as "top secret", "Property of US Army" etc. and he was in uniform, had military ID and ticket was purchased officially by the Army as well. Nevertheless, he got pulled out of line by the TSA and checked. Then the TSA agents demanded that he turn on the laptop. He looked the TSA agents in the eye and told them that they were welcome to scan his laptop for radiation or whatever, but if that laptop left his sight or anyone attempted to open the lid and turn it on, he would fetch some real cops to arrest them and inform the FBI to question them all. Big shouting match ensued, they threatened to keep him waiting for a while so he would miss his flight, he said "go ahead boss, I didn't purchase this ticket, the Government did, you do realize that higher ups may want to inquire why I'm delayed etc." In the end, laptop never left his sight and they finally let him to board his flight.
+1, it is a standard TSA attitude. And started from the day it came to existence and nothing to do with Trump. White folks in my team always carry questionable articles on field trips (even domestic) for 10+ years. As a brown person you avoid carrying a toughbook if you can. It is also a standard procedure to take loaner equipment on international travel and it is inspected closely by IT for any tempering upon returning of the equipment. No such scenario allowed by JPL guy as presented. If anything he would be sent home packing immediately if the equipment he carried over was not a loaner. Two sure way of getting sent home are timecard violation and/or security violation.
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

What I don't get is, how is it that the so called 'Deep State' managed to scalp a TFTA Jarnail, who headed one of the agencies? Surely he should have had his own tricks up his sleeve right? This was like check-and-mate in 10 moves, I'm surprised the Jarnail GUBOd so timidly, not one counter punch thrown to salvage some echandee.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

perhaps the hope is by sacrificing one large goat, the rest of flock will be safe from the wolves?

false hope imo, the wolves will be back right at dusk tomorrow. you give 1 inch and they will be all over your throat.
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

Agree - but I'm just surprised that with such seasons players, they fell for it. And as it is, the media is the opposition, even more so than in India. Add to that an entrenched bureaucracy that is against the incoming President.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

things have been on a downtrend since the state seized power following 911 and Indian Americans are behaving like frogs in warming water, instead of closing ranks. And young Americans in general have no experience or recollection of things as they were.

time will show these to be prophetic words. if you look at east asians, they do not say very much on social media or vent in public on such matters but quietly close ranks and help their own if they can....indians are divided by state, religion, alumni, tenure in massa, income, H1 vs F1, FOB vs PIO into various vertical and horizontal bands that can never get behind one cause without arguments and dissent. its tough for say the bengalis in a large city to have one common puja - there are many due to faction fights, and soon the assamese and tripuris sneak away and start their own due to high handed banga big brotha attitude - seen in blr for sure. :((

indians abroad are just easy targets for the hawks and have-nots and those looking to beat up the dharmic hamster because the fox stole some chickens and set fire to the house...and the fox is too hard to catch and beat. or the fox can call in his cousin wolves to inflict more pain.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-new ... lzE8H.html

Mattis is now going on expected lines.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

well spain is sending 6 tanks and 350 soldiers to help protect Latvia! is that enough? :rotfl:
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Singha wrote: if you look at east asians, they do not say very much on social media or vent in public on such matters but quietly close ranks and help their own if they can....indians are divided by state, religion, alumni, tenure in massa, income, H1 vs F1, FOB vs PIO into various vertical and horizontal bands that can never get behind one cause without arguments and dissent..
other folks automatically give 'benefit of doubt' and form a group and kick people out only when somebody is too much of an issue.

our folks have to vet each other out in several cycles ..check compatibility at many levels, driving distance between houses and traffic patterns, eating preferences, movie preferences, kids and spouse compatibility..and then form internal groups within groups :lol:
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Prasant wrote:Agree - but I'm just surprised that with such seasons players, they fell for it. And as it is, the media is the opposition, even more so than in India. Add to that an entrenched bureaucracy that is against the incoming President.
if there was an investigation, was there a possibility of subpoena of other calls and they wanted to avoid getting into more incriminating stuff ? so flynn had to go, despite having all the numbers and the teflon attitude
Ardeshir
BRFite

Post by Ardeshir »

Yes, that sounds a possibility.