Understanding US thread-III

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Re: Understanding US thread-III

Post by JE Menon »

Testimony of Comey is live.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Singha wrote:my prediction is US deep state will launch a vitriolic attack on Namo during his visit, on various fronts . namo will not forget this.

this will be the opening bell of a very poor period of indo-US relations.

we will emerge from the tunnel around 2025 , wearing our usual langoti, but in our hands will be deployed A5 telars, deployed sub based K4+ , ULV with SC200, deployed nirbhays, a range of locally made seekers and a very robust economy.
I truly hope that happens. Even now there are old school babus who slavishly worship massa, that has to end if India needs to assert its own power decisively. Business can only be done among equals, NaMo knows that but some of staff don't yet. I still remember the gleeful cringe worthy pronouncements by our DDM and babudom how US would make India a super power.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Raja Bose wrote:
Singha wrote:my prediction is US deep state will launch a vitriolic attack on Namo during his visit, on various fronts . namo will not forget this.

we will emerge from the tunnel around 2025 , wearing our usual langoti, but in our hands will be deployed A5 telars, deployed sub based K4+ , ULV with SC200, deployed nirbhays, a range of locally made seekers and a very robust economy.
I truly hope that happens. Even now there are old school babus who slavishly worship massa, that has to end if India needs to assert its own power decisively. Business can only be done among equals, NaMo knows that but some of staff don't yet. I still remember the gleeful cringe worthy pronouncements by our DDM and babudom how US would make India a super power.
+1.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Raja Bose wrote:

I don't think it will happen.
Trump respects Modi as a hard nut to crack. He will try to crack Modi and that will not happen. The media will start their "Hindoooo nationalist" raga for sure.
It will be a purely business relationship which is how it should be.
vinod
BRFite

Post by vinod »

I think Trump will expect to sign business deal in billions. If that doesn't happen, he will go crazy on everything from H1B visas and IT companies. So, India should be prepared to negotiate , delay.. will need to pamper his ego.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Anything new in testimony other than what was said in written statement?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

GD, Please read the Eurasia and US Military by Robert Kaplan in the Geopolitics thread.

What we are seeing is the US military alliance in the Middle East which is nearer to the European landmass. The renewed pivot to Asia so to speak.

The reason is to block the potential to swing the pendulum to the West by India which will change the millennium.

Its too early to see what happens.
Our readers and leaders are too short term thinkers to see the slow moves of history.
If the trend is right US has to block India and hence will be a cold welcome to NaMo.

At same time NaMo govt has already stated its a meet and greet visit and nothing is sought or given.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

This is getting to be like Syria, except with Tweets instead of VBIEDs and mass executions.
Comey: Lynch asked for Clinton investigation to be called a 'matter'
Lynch did not respond to a request for comment. A former spokeswoman for Lynch vented her anger on Twitter. "The irony of him throwing Lynch under the bus but claiming victim with Trump is THICK. He needs to be called on this. #ComeyHearing," Melanie R. Newman tweeted.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Wall street view is that Comey said nothing of significance, so back to Happy Days.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

UlanBatori wrote:Wall street view is that Comey said nothing of significance, so back to Happy Days.
ulan bator doesn't have many streets... but then one of them must have a wall or two
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

btw - who threw qatar under the bus?
it has a usaf base on it...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

It suicided itself.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

well el presidente drove the bus over them with his tweets... maybe bannon forgot to tell him about the base...
Avtar Singh
BRFite

Post by Avtar Singh »

Barking Dogs at WAPO will be full tilt on NaMo visit...
They know what they are paid for and how to earn their money.

Also if the Big Dog himself (Potus) is not thrown huge chunks of Kobe he will not be happy.

But I am sure having seen what makes Potus very very happy in saudi everyone knows how
one dimensional all these beasts are.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

NaMo has made it clear the two day visit is a get to know visit.
He is not planning on any inducements.
Besides beef is not allowed now!!!
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

When Trump dropped out of the Paris Accord, there were laudatory articles in the "liberal media" about India's commitment to the Paris Accord. If you think that the "deep state" is "liberal", then you should predict that there will be a number of articles of the type "both Trump and Modi are right-wing nationalists, etc., but Modi is so much better" in the "liberal media". It will be the Trump media that will be bashing India if at all. Or it will be like Trump with Comey - simultaneously that Modi's a great guy and that Modi's a loser.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

UlanBatori wrote:Wall street view is that Comey said nothing of significance, so back to Happy Days.
I think it is that while this Comey-Trump spectacle is going on, Dodd-Frank is quietly being dismantled is what is rallying Wall Street.
e.g., (video)
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/vide ... -u-s-video
"Rep. Jeb Hensarling, a Texas Republican and chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, comments on the U.S. House of Representatives approving a sweeping bill that rips up major aspects of the Dodd-Frank Act."
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

You have a point. T. Gabbard is railing against it, but probably in vain. Brave attempt. That is what I fear is going on all over: The entire papparazzi and dimbulbstanis are glued to SeeEnnEnn and the twerp Cillizza's daily pukings and the Live Hearings, and behind their backs their lunch is being stolen by the GoldmanSachs Mafia. Apparently in Venezuela they love Wall Street so much they are seeking to warm up visiting American Papparazzi. By burning them alive.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Obama should have fired Comey right after election results.
This guy is bad news. Lays groundwork for Clinton defeat and bureaucratic coup against Trump.

Sits on Russian story for a year.
What does he want?
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The trouble with the Russia story is that this is probably quid pro quo: DupleeCity interferes in Russian elections as a matter of course, hacks into Russian govt emails etc. Same with China, they all do it. After all, remember that NSA was scooping up personal emails of Angela Merkel and the Brazilian Presidente, so what's so wrong about Russians scooping up emails of HiCbibi?

So there is no "Russia Story" that is anything out of the usual. Backchannel contacts are also routine. If Comey was not on first-name basis with KGB chief, Inspecteure Clouseau etc, that must be sheer incompetence. Overall, a nasty piece of work, a pompous sanctimonious bureaucratic pr1ck. No wonder Trump got disgusted and kicked his ass our with a particularly nasty mode of firing - guy was about to give some big Address 2 The FBI Rank &File when someone comes up and tells him that he ain't nuthing no more, he's history.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

There is certainly more to Russian intervention story than meets the eye. Otherwise there won't be a special prosecutor and 4 different congressional/senatorial committee investigating it, that is 5 different teams investigating Russian intervention! Now Muller has the added responsibility of investigating the attempt to obstruction of justice. Comey testimony makes that abundantly clear.

This thing ain't over till the fat lady sings!
Last edited by Dipanker on 09 Jun 2017 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

From a previously provided link:
There’s another possibility. This may apply to Winner and to the other illegal leakers. There is a real possibility that Russia made a deliberate and concerted effort to disrupt our electoral process in the run up to the 2016 election. Based on my experience with Russian info ops, I believe this happened. I do not know it happened because I don’t have access to the intelligence. I don’t appreciate others trying to give me illegal access to this intelligence. I still have faith in the system to weather this storm and do the right thing.

What the Russians did was not a crime against humanity or an act of war. Compared to what we did to Ukraine, it was elegant and bloodless. No, it was just hardball international politics and I don’t begrudge them for trying. But I do want them to know that any effort to try anything like this again will be quickly discovered and it will cost them more than they hoped to gain.

But Russian info ops do not constitute a crisis requiring illegal leaking of classified information. If Trump and/or those around him colluded with the Russians in the execution of this info op, I want them and the Russians spanked hard. If the Trump administration is actively seeking to suppress the investigation and protect the Russians, I want them spanked. Either of these cases would mean that the reins of power are currently in the hands of enemies of the Constitution. Although I have faith that our system can deal with this possibility, perhaps Winner and other leakers lack this faith. Perhaps, as misguided as this is, they choose to honor their sworn oaths to the Constitution rather than their signature on a legal agreement. It doesn’t matter. If caught and tried they will all probably face prison time... that is unless they are high level muckety-mucks
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

So we have seamlessly moved from 'what Russian interference' to 'we do they do all do' and 'what secret meetings and contacts' to 'i bet ombaba did that as well' :lol
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

The sorry-ass donkeys seem to have nothing left to bray about than a typo by a 76-year-old man typing on a tiny phone at 2AM. But a good one, nevertheless. Approaches PeeAref Mushy Myoosic Bheshtival standards. :rotfl:

Next up: I predict that Flynn will be found to have done nothing remotely inappropriate, he was just doing his job as a patriotic decorated war-veteran, greedy capitalist imperialist American. This is like "trying" Robert Clive for backchannel negotiations with Mir Jaffer.

And THEN I hope to see the hearings where the donkeystanis are brought to book, starting with HiC.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

A_Gupta wrote:When Trump dropped out of the Paris Accord, there were laudatory articles in the "liberal media" about India's commitment to the Paris Accord. If you think that the "deep state" is "liberal", then you should predict that there will be a number of articles of the type "both Trump and Modi are right-wing nationalists, etc., but Modi is so much better" in the "liberal media". It will be the Trump media that will be bashing India if at all. Or it will be like Trump with Comey - simultaneously that Modi's a great guy and that Modi's a loser.
I watched Megan Kelly (who left Fox News for MSNBC) moderating the panel discussion with Modi and Putin in St.Petersburg. She tried very hard to get Modi to say something critical about Trump exiting the Paris accord. Our man was charming but refused to give an inch.

That, I think is a preview of one line of attack that can expected from the liberal side, trying to shoot Trump from Modi's shoulder. From the right, it will be H1-B and "aid". From both sides, it will be religious freedom and cashmere. Expect Aatish Taseer, now married to a man from Atlanta (IIRC) to pipe up in WSJ or NYT about religious freedom, homophobia, and cashmere. And the usual BIF suspects--punkaj mishra, harinder baweja, barka dutt, and maybe arundhati roy (since she has a book to promote).

India is lucky to have a best-case prime minister, a man who will be very unlikely to make any unforced errors or step into a trap.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

UlanBatori wrote:The trouble with the Russia story is that this is probably quid pro quo: DupleeCity interferes in Russian elections as a matter of course, hacks into Russian govt emails etc. Same with China, they all do it. After all, remember that NSA was scooping up personal emails of Angela Merkel and the Brazilian Presidente, so what's so wrong about Russians scooping up emails of HiCbibi?

So there is no "Russia Story" that is anything out of the usual. Backchannel contacts are also routine. If Comey was not on first-name basis with KGB chief, Inspecteure Clouseau etc, that must be sheer incompetence. Overall, a nasty piece of work, a pompous sanctimonious bureaucratic pr1ck. No wonder Trump got disgusted and kicked his ass our with a particularly nasty mode of firing - guy was about to give some big Address 2 The FBI Rank &File when someone comes up and tells him that he ain't nuthing no more, he's history.
I agree that Russian interference was some sort of payback for American chicanery recently in Ukraine.

But that doesn't mean America should just let it go--national interest means being ready to damage the other guy but fighting back hard when he tries to do the same thing to you, otherwise US will have to commit national suicide for all its global sins.

Comey is being spun hard by both sides, but ultimately there won't be much for going after Trump legally. All this is a distraction from the really bad and harmful policies that are getting enacted.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Dipanker wrote:There is certainly more to Russian intervention story than meets the eye. Otherwise there won't be a special prosecutor and 4 different congressional/senatorial committee investigating it, that is 5 different teams investigating Russian intervention! Now Muller has the added responsibility of investigating the attempt to obstruction of justice. Comey testimony makes that abundantly clear.

This thing ain't over till the fat lady sings!
Yes Trump has a habit of obstructing justice by bending law enforcement officials to his will, as he did with the Florida attorney general investigating the Trump U case. This is what he was doing with Comey, no doubt.

But a Republican congress is never going to impeach Trump, and theee is only a very slim chance of the House flipping in 2018, and zero chance of the Senate flipping.

Mueller always had the remit to investigate everything, including obstruction of justice, Comey's public testimony doesn't affect that. I predict that Mueller will, after several years and several millions, find that yes, the Russians interfered, Flynn, Manafort et al are unprincipled greedy crooks, as is Trump who probably has Russian financial connections. But only the Trump chamchas may face prosecution. Trump himself won't be touched. Because there won't be prosecutable proof "beyond a reasonable doubt." (As was made out to be the case with Hillary and the server. Outrageous conduct but not a prosecutable offense.) Because his Republican base remains strong.

Overall, there will be less inclination in public life to appear to be incorruptible.
Last edited by KLNMurthy on 09 Jun 2017 22:16, edited 2 times in total.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

I am not too concerned.

The media (particularly in India) have been making much of Trump shooting his mouth off regarding India's alleged duplicity with respect to the Paris climate agreement.

Big deal. Trump said and did far worse, far more often from Beijing's point of view (making accusations of currency manipulation, speaking directly to the Taiwanese president, framing China as the primary culprit responsible for the demise of US manufacturing, etc. in addition to climate-related issues). This went on all the way up to the visit of Xi Jinping, who arrived at Mar-a-Lago seemingly quite unfazed by any of it. After the visit, Trump started giving the Chinese everything they wanted: endorsing Xi's view of regional history, sending a supportive delegation to the OBOR gala, even curbing the aggressive USN patrolling of the Indo-China Sea relative to Obama's "pivot to Asia" days.

I believe Modi is at least as sharp an operator as Xi, and quite likely sharper and more charismatic.

The fact is, the US today is led by an apparatus that's not at all unfamiliar to us. It is a 400% self-serving, rent-seeking dynasty, no different from the Bhutto/dus-percentis or the Sharifs next door. Or even our own door until recently. Be honest and tell me who Ivanka Gandhi and Jared Vadra really remind you of.

These types are easy to manipulate. They don't have a strategic vision and don't care to develop one. They can be bribed at the level of family or corporate interests to do our bidding, and induced to sell the outcome to their own people as a victory for the national interest. Modi should be able to walk all over this lot.
Last edited by Rudradev on 09 Jun 2017 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

+1

I couldn't have put it any better. Modi eats Trump-types for breakfast.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

The only potential problem could be some sort of unreasonable demand and that blowing up into an ego issue. It is here somebody whispering stuff into trump's ears could create problems. manafort is not in the inner circle anymore, right?
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Gus wrote:The only potential problem could be some sort of unreasonable demand and that blowing up into an ego issue. It is here somebody whispering stuff into trump's ears could create problems. manafort is not in the inner circle anymore, right?
If that happens, we have to rely on NaMo being blessed amply with the Great Yindoo Deflection Maneuver--yeses I agree of course, but <complete opposite of what you "agreed " to>

Used to drive Brits crazy, I hear. They would rant about Yindoo double talk.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

well, we are past masters in nodding our head to anything..and then going and doing what we can/want to do and come up with all sort of excuses.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

6th COTUS Dt. election apparently breaks the record for House elections in spending. Heavy California and NY $$ pouring into this one suburban Jawjuh district. Donkey candidate Ossoff The Slimy (he actually put out a sign that says "Vote Your OssOff) vs. Elephant candidate Handel The Pompous (SoS in Jawjuh). Ossoff Leading per See Enn Enn Poll 51-44% which means Handel must be winning hands-down. 400% pucca racist vs. 500% clueless Paki-influenced twerp. They why all the attention for a fight between 2 featherweights? Because of the Ech N Dee. Gingrich infested this Dt. for a loong time, then Tom Price, the Sona Bandar's Health Services czar. I don't think the donkeys even challenged Price's seat the last couple of times, there was that much elephant dung around. Maybe if they can win this, donkeys think the Big Mo will carry them through to capture the Gov's shack.
Ossoff's campaign has raised a staggering $23 million, including $15 million in the last two months, according to campaign finance documents filed Thursday. Handel raised $4 million in that same two-month period. Republicans have spent about $12 million on the race, almost double what Democratic outside groups have spent. The biggest player has been the GOP super PAC Congressional Leadership Fund, which has topped $6 million on the race itself.
Who knows? Maybe a bit of that CA $$$ will trickle down as tax to fund another bridge where the traffic congestion is worst. Nah!
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

my my... amusements never cease on this thread
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

If Ossoff wins GA-6 by some fluke of providence, expect huge elephant turds on the National Mall in Washington DC the next day.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Looking increasingly probable. Even hardcore "yindoo nationalist rt-wing extremists" seem impressed by him, one-on-one.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archiv ... ts/529905/
A federal grand jury has indicted Adam Purinton—the man who shot two Indian immigrants at a bar in Olathe, Kansas on February 22—for a hate crime, the U.S. Department of Justice announced Friday. Purinton, a 52-year-old resident of Olathe, was also accused of violating a federal firearms statute. He was previously charged with first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder, and is currently being held in the Johnson County jail on a $2 million bond. If convicted, Purinton could face the death penalty or life in prison.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

This is worth reading:
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ht/529614/
Bernie Sanders's Religious Test for Christians in Public Office

In brief, Abrahamic exclusivism is always a problem.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

US boots-on-ground (BOG) in Phillippines :eek:
The Pakis are winning: This is what they have dreamt of since they piled into those lorries for the trip up Khyber Pass to the Shomali Plain. US needs to end this ASAP by sending more weapons to Islamabad - via B-52 from 30,000 feet.