Understanding US thread-III

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding US thread-III

Post by Gus »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... ae7f89ecaa
The president revealed highly classified (code word) information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador during an Oval Office meeting last week, potentially endangering a coveted intelligence asset, compromising a crucial alliance and undermining the war effort against the Islamic State. :shock:

After The Post broke the story, senior White House aides quickly denied it. “I was in the room. It didn’t happen,” said national security adviser H.R. McMaster. “This story is false,” added Dina Powell, his deputy.

Then, on Twitter this morning, Trump essentially acknowledged that The Post’s reporting is accurate, defended his decision to share the information and complained about the leak that allowed what he’d done to get out:
:rotfl:
If you missed their scoop, Greg Miller and Greg Jaffe explain why what Trump did is so problematic: “The information the president relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government. The partner had not given the United States permission to share the material with Russia, and officials said Trump’s decision to do so endangers cooperation from an ally that has access to the inner workings of the Islamic State. ... Exposure of an intelligence stream that has provided critical insight into the Islamic State, officials said, could hinder the United States’ and its allies’ ability to detect future threats. … The identification of the location [where the intelligence was gathered] was seen as particularly problematic … because Russia could use that detail to help identify the U.S. ally or intelligence capability involved.
Another part of the problem is that he is unwilling to prepare. From The Post’s Russia scoop last night: “U.S. officials said that the National Security Council continues to prepare multi-page briefings for Trump to guide him through conversations with foreign leaders, but that he has insisted that the guidance be distilled to a single page of bullet points — and often ignores those.”

But the biggest issue stems from the president’s compulsive need to impress people by showing off what he knows. In his meeting with Lavrov, Trump went off script and began to boast about his inside knowledge of a looming threat. “I get great intel. I have people brief me on great intel every day,” the president said, an official with knowledge of the exchange told The Post.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

How else to prove '..have best intel' than by revealing it :)
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

American Airlines accused of racism for sending black woman with first class ticket to back of plane
Two women travelling on an American Airlines flight have claimed members of staff were “racist” towards one of them.

Rane Baldwin, who is African American, was flying with friend Janet Novack, who is white, from Kentucky to Charlotte when the incident occurred on 2 May.

Baldwin - an AAdvantage Platinum Select/World Elite cardholder - had purchased the two tickets and decided to upgrade them both to first class. However, when they were issued their boarding passes, she was instructed to go to the back of the plane despite her frequent flyer status, while Novack, who holds no status with the airline, was directed to first class. Baldwin was told her seat had been reassigned because there weren’t enough first class seats available.

The behaviour of American Airlines flight attendants from there added up to “the most blatantly racist thing that’s ever happened to me,” according to Baldwin. “I’ve never felt so unimportant in my entire life,” she told The Root.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Sharing of in-depth intel between allies (and not-so-allies but essential at top level) is as old as history. This whole thing is utter nonsense, but who can be heard over the :(( :eek: of the donkeys?
Read "The Day Of The Jackal" or any James Bond novel, or "The Fourth Protocol" or "The Devil's Advocate". Or "Hamlet" Obama who could not figure out how to do anything. The problem in the US has been the prevalence of the likes of Halfbright, HiC and the arrogant whatzit who effed up the Ukraine situation.

Trump is absolutely right when he says he has every right, and duty, to inform other leaders about urgent intel regarding terrorists.
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Other possibility is that he is a manchurian candidate perhaps?
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Impeachable offense ?

Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation
WASHINGTON — President Trump asked the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, to shut down the federal investigation into Mr. Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, in an Oval Office meeting in February, according to a memo Mr. Comey wrote shortly after the meeting.

“I hope you can let this go,” the president told Mr. Comey, according to the memo.

The existence of Mr. Trump’s request is the clearest evidence that the president has tried to directly influence the Justice Department and F.B.I. investigation into links between Mr. Trump’s associates and Russia.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

No one has seen the Memo which Comey said to have written and said to ahve wrote for himself and there is no evidence than what he himself has written. The NYT also has not even seen this "memo" but when ahead and published this report on someone saying so. Comey did not even come forward to say this till date. When such serious allegations are made at least some reasonable basis shall be there. Particularly if a paper like NYT with the long anti-Trump record, people needed to be more careful in believing these things. Comey's record in all these matters is also not great in the first place.

Does anyone know what Bill spoke with Attorney General in that infamous meeting? Grandchildren and golf or investigation on to Hillary? No one knows. Since the meeting is not normal, there are speculations of all kinds then also. But nothing could be proved as no evidence.

This mess is going on and on. All Dems want is to make an impeachment drama for which they do not have numbers at present.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

In three trips over last two years in Europe and Middle East, all three airports security had demanded that carry on laptops be turned on even after X-Ray scan. Stated reason was potential for explosives in the laptop.
The US customs agents were checking for fruit and such materials.
Took away my strawberry preserves bottle.

So Congress should be more concerned that this intel came form Middle East and not their own services.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

There is some serious terror plotting may be going on and EU and US people got wind of it. Hence the enhanced security measures. But in India, we are not seeing it. No one is asking us to start our Laptops here.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Could be a unique feature of ME terror gangs.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

errr..the intel was from israel. not-hilary had no business bragging about this to russians when israelies did not want this to be spread around, compromising their source. good luck getting such intel next time from other allies.

not to worry as the not-hilary has the best people with the best intel and the best brains with the best words and the best..
Manas
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Manas »

Looks like the deep state has declared a full fledged war on POTUS and wants to bring him down even before he completes the first year.
Throw some mud, quote anonymous sources and insist the burden of proof is on POTUS and WHOTUS to prove otherwise. On the flip side POTUS accused the previous admin of spying on him and his campaign - WP, NYT, CNN etc start every story with "POTUS's unsubstantiated claims" and put the burden of proof on POTUS. Quite clearly the Donkey's have their agents deeply embedded in every govt agency doing their bidding and looks like WP and NYT have become the tabloid media arms of the DNC.

1) The whole Russia "meddled" is based on the "unanimous conclusion of 17 intel agencies". The last I checked the DEA, Coast Guard, Marines etc are part of the 17 agencies. A curious soul might ask "what business or basis does the coast guard or the DEA have to monitor or conclude that Russia meddled" ? That is not their mission. So clubbing them under "unanimous conclusion of 17 agencies" is a gimmick to give the claim some credibility. This is nothing but speculation and conjecture on the part of Intel agencies that Russian Intel hacked and shared Podesta's e-mails with WikiLeaks through a 3rd party.

2) As for the Intel agencies - Snowden, Hal Martin III (bigger than Snowden IMO), Vault 7 - they have a lot of explaining to do. Either they are bumbling and incompetent or the Russians owned them during the previous admin - which probably explains Mr. Obama's "evil empire" type backlash, retaliation against Russia. Don't forget the Sevastapol chess move the deep state lost in Ukraine which probably added Mr. Obama's angst.

If you are a U.S. Citizen you should be worried about why, how WHOTUS and the 3 letter agencies are leaking like a sieve.

3) POTUS (then president elect Mr. Trump) and Gen Flynn would have been better off stating that they indeed asked Russia to not retaliate against Obama's Christmas time sanctions and asking 35 embassy personnel to leave before new years. The outgoing POTUS had no business making major policy decisions that would poison the well for the incoming POTUS.

4) Gen. Flynn denied having had sanctions related conservation, got caught (NSA's FISA taps at the other end) that led to his firing and all the investigations about nothing and POTUS tells Mr. Comey that "he hopes the investigation will be dropped" and now we have a Watergate type scandal ?

5) Mr. Comey is not credible - "Yes she mishandled classified info, she was careless - but we wont file charges", "we have reopened the investigation", "we found nothing in the new e-mails" and even the day before he was fired he gave inaccurate information in the congressional hearing under oath that had to be duly corrected by the FBI. He could cook up any notes and tuck it away as a job security blanket knowing fully well that he was not in the good books of either party. I would trust him if he passes a lie detector test.

6) POTUS disclosed "classified information to Russia" - sure

POTUS: "Mr. Lavrov ISIS is trying to bomb civilian airliners with bombs hidden in laptops, one of the reasons we imposed the carry on laptop ban from a select few countries, BTW I have great Intel sources and one of our sources in Raqqa/Idlib/Alleppo embedded in ISIS picked this up".

Mr. Lavrov: "Mr. POTUS thank you. We very well know the dangers posed by ISIS against civil aviation. In fact they bombed one of our civilian planes and killed 200+ people. The information you shared is consistent with what we have heard from our security services".

According to NSA - POTUS did not know the info came from an ally (apparently Israel). It would be silly to assume that the Russians don't have their own sources and methods and deep/good Intel on ISIS. It would be really funny if the Israeli's and Russian source is the same and they both have the same info and POTUS inadvertently shared this "great piece of Intel" from one ally with another "convert from an adversary to an ally".

What worries me most is the firm claws of deep state, might is right, pax Americana cabal that has a firm hold of the country and the shockingly vicious left wing, ultra liberal coalition that is going to extraordinary lengths to get rid of the outsider.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Golden Monkey or anyone in future who does not allow the establishment will be kicked in the pants like this by the deep state.

From what we know:

1. Free trade pacts shall not to touched.
2. China shall not be touched.
3. ME wars to continue.
4. Russian shall be enemy no.1 and new cold was is a mush.
5. Globalist agenda is a must.
6. No American must rubbish.

In future anyone who does not agree with any of these is toast.

I am not sure Monkey will survive long unless he agree to all the above and he is in the process of agreeing. I think a lesson is being taught to everyone in future and Monkey example will be there for decades to come.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

golden gorilla needs to hit back instead of being reactive.
every week he is hit n run from a different direction.
if he wants to serve out full term, offense is best defence.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

so Comey has memos of meetings and not-hilary has tapes of conversation. maybe both should upload into wikileaks and let people figure out who has the best leaks
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Trump is answerable to the US citizens, not MSM or SM. He should focus on what he promised and he will win again.
But instead he is getting sidetracked and is behaving very petty on twitter.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I feel that ***ALL*** "Major Impeachable Issues" blared by the donkeys so far, are non-starters. I really don't believe that Ge. Flynn had any disqualifications, the contact(s) with Russia seem entirely within the powers, rights and responsibilities of an active, smart President, and firing Comey was, high-time.

Present DC govt seems like Indian Babucracy 1998-2004. Totally anti-elected govt., in cahoots with MSM/leftists. The more I see CNN front page, the more elephantine I feel. It's a one-issue website now.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

There is no chance Trump will finish out his term.

What most "RW" geniuses are missing from their anal-ysis, is that the agents now feverishly leaking information and spinning FUD to bring Trump down are not "Democrats". Hillary is a spent force. Bernie and the rest of the party are in disarray. Democrats don't have g@@nd-may-dum to do all this. They can't even get their own house in order as an opposition party.

The people working to bring Trump down now are the ones who will benefit from his election with a free-ride to the presidency when he goes... a presidency that not one of them was capable of getting elected to on his own. The Republicans.

Mike Pence will be the ideal Koch brothers/Tea Party president. EJ, social conservative, financial de-regulator nonpareil. If he too goes down on the Russia issue, Paul Ryan is next in line... another Tea Party archetype propped up by the same corporate interests.

Trump OTOH is far from ideologically orthodox in the Republican party. He has many times in the past (before running as a candidate) expressed very liberal views much more in line with the Democratic party. And even as a candidate/president he differs hugely from the deep-state on matters like military interventionism. The bulk of Republicans, however, are neoconservatives whose Iraq misadventure was the very prototype of deep-state interventionism. Now that they have used him to secure the presidency, they would love to see him gone.

If you think CNN, WaPo, NYTimes are exclusively "Democratic" or "leftist" newspapers you clearly don't remember the run-up to Operation Iraqi Freedom, when every one of these outlets was relentlessly broadcasting the neoconservative propaganda on weapons of mass destruction. They serve the interests of the deep state, period.

Trump is not a consummate player in the mold of Modi. He will not prevail over the Republican Party's equivalent of BJP's "D4". They have maximized the advantage they could get out of him in the US political system, and they are working to bring him down as we speak.
Last edited by Rudradev on 17 May 2017 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

I would think that Trump has a few resources and tricks up his sleeve, and is used to these sorts of attacks. I don't exactly feel sorry for him, he's a big boy and can handle this. It will be entertaining to watch what happens after this artillery barrage washes over: a battle-hardened team deciding to wreak vengeance in due course against the attackers.

He shouldn't have jettisoned Flynn, IMO, but I think the pompous Pence did that one. WaPO I agree is not likely to be all donkey, but CNN and NYT are getting extremely shrill. Like they know they are doomed.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

Exactly! he is nominally republican but the republicans have been able to get their guy in SC, get the bogus AHCA a leg up, damage EPA and other pet projects going on his coat-tails. His going won't do them much harm if he goes early in the term and Pence or ryan get a free ride.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Yayavar wrote:Exactly! he is nominally republican but the republicans have been able to get their guy in SC, get the bogus AHCA a leg up, damage EPA and other pet projects going on his coat-tails. His going won't do them much harm if he goes early in the term and Pence or ryan get a free ride.
Not only that, but anything that proves *unpopular* (though its passing was critical to the Republican agenda) can then be blamed on the Trump regime as an aberrant period of misrule.

For example the AHCA is widely unpopular, but once they get rid of Trump, the Republicans can always point the finger at Trump and say "his fault that turned out so badly!" While still reaping the benefits of the AHCA that Republicans salivate over... billions in tax breaks for rich people, a tyranny of pre-existing conditions indefinitely empowering the insurance industry, less money spent on freeloading elderly people who expect medicare/medicaid, etc.

And Republican voters, being the paragons of critical thinking and informed decision-making that they are, will simply buy it. They bought Trump in the first place, after all.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

yeah, good point. That is where the democrats need to step in and name the congressmen and senators supporting these in their constituencies. Else it becomes oh! trumpcare(or whatever) issues will be fixed and move on
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

If Trump is impeached and removed from office, then Pence becomes the President. But IIRC he gets to NOMINATE the VP -- not necessarily Ryan --who has to be approved by the Congress.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Manas, Good to see you back after a long time. And clear post as usual..

Trump is going no where.

In fact he might use the shrillness to foist them on own petard.
He didn't decimate 17 Repubs and one sure shot Democrat to become President.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

I think some folks here have a bright future as the next Press secy. :D
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

True. But now he is fighting himself and may be hoisted by his own petard. He may get to say "Finally, I have met the enemy, it is me" :D
Dipanker
BRF Oldie

Post by Dipanker »

Assuming that there is indeed a Comey's memo, the big bad Zee is toast, because that is clearly an attempt to obstruct justice, Nixon got impeached for it.

Remember folks, Flynn has a story to tell for which he wants immunity, and Zee wanted the Flynn's investigation dropped, why would Zee risk impeachment? Add the 2 + 2.

Once there are enough Republicans willing to vote with democrats, Zee should be out the door, though still some way to go.

That will happen when more of Russian's wheeling and dealing comes to light and Zee's position becomes completely untenable, that is when Republicans in the congress/senate will start jumping the ship and agree to vote for impeachment.
Ankar
BRFite

Post by Ankar »

Pro Erdogan supporters attack peaceful protesters in Washington, DC
:shock: :shock:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Loss of sovereignty.

The Kurdish protestors were attacked by Erodgan's entourage in suits.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Dipanker wrote:That will happen when more of Russian's wheeling and dealing comes to light and Zee's position becomes completely untenable, that is when Republicans in the congress/senate will start jumping the ship and agree to vote for impeachment.
nope. As long as it is still possible to push their agendas through, ryan will do that instead of any impeachment stuff. things will change only when their own positions are in danger because not-hilary is dragging them all down along with him.

even comey's memo will not do that. there's nothing new in that that people don't already know. It will up the outrage a bit and that's about it.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

It does not seem to be in Republican interests to pull him down. Their agenda is going forward even with all the tamasha. And if he does go down their agenda still advances as long as they can protect next election. It is for democrats to fight in the constituencies to do a better showing in midterm for the house. senate and governorship. If the agenda and tamasha can be used to win votes then they gain.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Yayavar wrote:It does not seem to be in Republican interests to pull him down. Their agenda is going forward even with all the tamasha. And if he does go down their agenda still advances as long as they can protect next election. It is for democrats to fight in the constituencies to do a better showing in midterm for the house. senate and governorship. If the agenda and tamasha can be used to win votes then they gain.

Some Repubs think they can stymie Trump. Example McCain.

Lindsay Graham used to think so too but is now stalled.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Now that the former FBI chief Mueller is appointed as the Special Prosecutor to probe the Russia thing we can hope no more tweets from Trump how unfairly he is being treated by the media.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ramana wrote:In three trips over last two years in Europe and Middle East, all three airports security had demanded that carry on laptops be turned on even after X-Ray scan. Stated reason was potential for explosives in the laptop.
The US customs agents were checking for fruit and such materials.
Took away my strawberry preserves bottle.

So Congress should be more concerned that this intel came form Middle East and not their own services.
"Gel" is not permitted per regulations.

Indian security, especially lady officers, routinely take away jam bottles and pickle bottles under this pretext. Must be contributing a lot in alleviating their "homesickness"
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

In the middle of all the talk of impeachment etc this article

https://qz.com/985767/forget-about-impe ... ntil-2024/

What I think is the writer failed to take the uniqueness of the Golden Monkey into consideration.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

seems odd for a rich country,,but what to do AMDR radars, thaads and virginias eat money

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/14/nyre ... -well&_r=0

while every politicians screams from the pulpit about "fixing our schools"
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Well, they sure "fixed" that one! NO WALLS!! :)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Borderless new age learning