Understanding US thread-III

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Understanding US thread-III

Post by ramana »

Pierre Sprey.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Another police killing let off

Chaos in st paul.mn as 101st airborne er local police deploy to freeway

https://www.rt.com/usa/392636-philando- ... t-st-paul/
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

NBC4 Columbus‏Verified account @nbc4i 20h20 hours ago
Study finds 16.4 million Americans think chocolate milk comes from brown cows
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

From a Washington Post story on the same:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 7eeed25ecd

"When one team of researchers interviewed fourth-, fifth- and sixth-graders at an urban California school, they found that more than half of them didn’t know pickles were cucumbers, or that onions and lettuce were plants. Four in 10 didn’t know that hamburgers came from cows. And 3 in 10 didn’t know that cheese is made from milk."

Truly mindboggling...
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

Ah! Stealth discussion. To match the Stealth Navy.
BTW, I wonder what is the red blotch seen on the vertical surface that looks relatively undamaged. Horrible. Or maybe it's only the red paint of the Container ship. The Captain was injured, because the collision connected right "amidships" in line with the Bridge or maybe the Captain's Quarters. "T-boned" is the correct term, I believe.

I can understand why the Stealth destroyed was invisible on the Container ships's radar, but why was the Container ship not visible to the Stealth Destroyer I wonder. Stealth Radar?

Anyway, Captain is heading for a Court Martial, along with any surviving Officers, and any poor sods to serve as the fall guys/gals. Since there are many more Officers than ships and desks to occupy them at the upper levels, the USN is not known for understanding and forgiveness, where H&D are concerned.

So North Korea Lesson-Teaching Gunboat Diplomacy Exercise starts. With US scoring a self-goal. Scratch one missile destroyer for the next many months.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

JE Menon wrote:From a Washington Post story on the same:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 7eeed25ecd
"When one team of researchers interviewed fourth-, fifth- and sixth-term {Congressional Representatives and Senators in Washington DC}, they found that more than half of them didn’t know pickles were cucumbers, or that onions and lettuce were plants. Four in 10 didn’t know that hamburgers came from cows. And 3 in 10 didn’t know that cheese is made from milk."
Truly mindboggling...
Well, ahem... what did you expect?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

looks like a glancing collision on the right with both ships sailing in same direction...they were on parallelish crossing paths and somehow "who goes first" protocol went badly wrong. once ships start sailing close together like UNREP work I believe due to bernoulli or some other effect they tend to get pulled together unless careful helm and rudder work is done to counteract. obviously at 2:30am someone missed this cue.

if it was a real T-bone the container ship would likely ride up and through the DDG pushing it down and buckling so many plates it would surely sink in a few minutes ... british dreadnoughts were fitted with underwater ram to sink small ships and subs and one sank a Uboat.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

UlanBatori wrote:Ah! Stealth discussion. To match the Stealth Navy.
BTW, I wonder what is the red blotch seen on the vertical surface that looks relatively undamaged. Horrible. Or maybe it's only the red paint of the Container ship. The Captain was injured, because the collision connected right "amidships" in line with the Bridge or maybe the Captain's Quarters. "T-boned" is the correct term, I believe.

I can understand why the Stealth destroyed was invisible on the Container ships's radar, but why was the Container ship not visible to the Stealth Destroyer I wonder. Stealth Radar?

Anyway, Captain is heading for a Court Martial, along with any surviving Officers, and any poor sods to serve as the fall guys/gals. Since there are many more Officers than ships and desks to occupy them at the upper levels, the USN is not known for understanding and forgiveness, where H&D are concerned.

So North Korea Lesson-Teaching Gunboat Diplomacy Exercise starts. With US scoring a self-goal. Scratch one missile destroyer for the next many months.
The Container Ship seems to have just a few scratches and the railing/sheet metal at the top is bent a bit, that's all. :eek: Wonder why they don't use these as Battleships these days instead of these tinsheet deathtraps.

And this:
According to a Navy news release from last month, Benson, the Fitzgerald's commander, was new to the position, taking command of the vessel May 13 after serving as the ship's executive officer, or second in command, since November 2015. The Fitzgerald is the second command for Benson, a 1999 Naval ROTC graduate of Marquette University. He commanded the minesweeper USS Guardian, operating out of Sasebo, Japan, from 2008 to 2010, before taking shore assignments in Washington and with US Pacific Command. The collision was the second in the region for US Navy warship in just over a month. On May 9, the guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain was struck by a South Korean fishing boat off the Korean Peninsula. No injuries were reported from that incident, which a Navy official said occurred when the fishing boat's crew did not have a radio to hear warnings from the US warship. In late January, the guided-missile cruiser USS Antietam ran aground while anchoring near Yokosuka, damaging its propellers and discharging 1,100 gallons of hydraulic oil into the bay. Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly described the status of the commanding officer. He was medevaced for treatment.
2:30AM. He was asleep in his quarters, most probably. Wonder who was on watch?
Karthik S
BRF Oldie

Post by Karthik S »

Singha wrote:looks like a glancing collision on the right with both ships sailing in same direction...they were on parallelish crossing paths and somehow "who goes first" protocol went badly wrong. once ships start sailing close together like UNREP work I believe due to bernoulli or some other effect they tend to get pulled together unless careful helm and rudder work is done to counteract. obviously at 2:30am someone missed this cue.

if it was a real T-bone the container ship would likely ride up and through the DDG pushing it down and buckling so many plates it would surely sink in a few minutes ... british dreadnoughts were fitted with underwater ram to sink small ships and subs and one sank a Uboat.

Singha ji, from the look of it and the news wherein it says "above and below the waterline" damage, it could mean that the bulbous top and the protruding bow keel of the ship could have come in contact with the DDG. Nothing happened to the lower region just above the waterline, but you can look the damage above it, I think those are computers in the control room and the SPY-1 radar panels barely escaped the hit.

Only if the merchant ship is way heavier and was at speed, it could have sunk the 10,000 T DDG. Looks like it's a near T-bone low speed collision.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Trump earns ~$600 million in 2016/17 - Government financial disclosure

May the battle be renewed between the pro and anti Trumpets!!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Folks this thread is not serving the purpose it was started for which is to understand the principla drivers and motivators of US. It is now a reporistory of what should be in Positive News thread.
Hence I am closing this thread.

Thanks for bring it down.

ramana