LCA: News & Discussions: 15 August 2017

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA: News & Discussions: 15 August 2017

Post by shiv »

Rakesh wrote: Rope in IITs and other educational institutions if you need to. We don't have a lack of brainpower in India.
Rakesh this topic has come up before and I have to point out, with due respect to our IITs that they are simply (currently) not doing the sort of advanced post-graduate work that graduates get trained in when they go abroad.

I have for long felt that this is a huge difference between medicine and engineering in India. You can sit in India and get advanced post-graduate training (or "graduate training" as they say in Amreeka.) But not in India. Yes - the IITs and IISc are doing some stuff as are a few others but we are not there yet.

Apparently what China did was to create special highly paid positions for Chinese trained and working in America so they could come back and enjoy an American lifestyle and money. I think it did work although it created friction with others who were in China without American training, and not getting Amreeki salary
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Thales already has the RBE2 developed. To fit in LCA they think it can be done.
As for weapons trials just buy Astra only. Tejas is ready for that.

F414 and Mk2 will be committed unless Congress comes back to power.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

brar_w wrote:This isn't even comparing the same thing. The SEF is a farce and completely uncalled for as I have said on numerous occasions. That gives no excuse to alternatively begin pursuing a second imported radar just for the kicks when there is an indigenous unit being developed which makes perfect sense as the primary investment as a long term solution to all future Tejas iterations. F414 is redundant unless the MK2 is fully committed to in which case it is obviously necessary.
As per ACM Dhanoa, Mk 2 is coming. As per Dileep, no Mk2. I do not know who to believe anymore :)

If LRDE thinks that they have a winnable solution with Uttam and can continue with Elta's EL/M-2052, till Uttam development is complete....then do it. Don't spend the money. I am not saying there is a hard-and-fast rule that you MUST invest in multiple and similar components. But if the need exists, then go for it.

But I am not going to buy the argument - I am not saying you are putting that forward - that there is no money for further Tejas development, but you have $15 - $25 billion to throw around in the mythical hope that it will revolutionize India's aviation industry. That is nonsense.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Hakeem: Ok, I stand corrected.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

If LRDE thinks that they have a winnable solution with Uttam and can continue with Elta's EL/M-2052, till Uttam development is complete....then do it. Don't spend the money. I am not saying there is a hard-and-fast rule that you MUST invest in multiple and similar components. But if the need exists, then go for it.

But I am not going to buy the argument - I am not saying you are putting that forward - that there is no money for further Tejas development, but you have $15 - $25 billion to throw around in the mythical hope that it will revolutionize India's aviation industry. That is nonsense.
The MOD is competing an AESA radar via an open global competition. I don't think they have specified the two of the submissions will be selected and we do not yet know how many OEMs actually even intend on responding with a solution. I have not come across any indication from the IAF that they will select 2 or more radars to pursue further so I just assumed that the competition is just to keep ELTA honest. But we'll know soon enough!

Uttam is something critically important to fund for various reasons, one being the potential to port it over to multiple aircraft and UAVs in the future. It gets you in the door as far as designing and producing a modern AESA airborne fire-control radar and is going to be a critical capability to master even beyond the LCA (think AMCA, AURA etc etc).
csaurabh
BRFite

Post by csaurabh »

shiv wrote:
Rakesh wrote: Rope in IITs and other educational institutions if you need to. We don't have a lack of brainpower in India.
Rakesh this topic has come up before and I have to point out, with due respect to our IITs that they are simply (currently) not doing the sort of advanced post-graduate work that graduates get trained in when they go abroad.

I have for long felt that this is a huge difference between medicine and engineering in India. You can sit in India and get advanced post-graduate training (or "graduate training" as they say in Amreeka.) But not in India. Yes - the IITs and IISc are doing some stuff as are a few others but we are not there yet.

Apparently what China did was to create special highly paid positions for Chinese trained and working in America so they could come back and enjoy an American lifestyle and money. I think it did work although it created friction with others who were in China without American training, and not getting Amreeki salary
this is an important topic that needs to be discussed in more detail maybe on some other thread.
The IITs are completely out of sync with the necessities of technology development within the country . Currently they mainly serve the purpose of putting students into Western multinational companies or sending them abroad to Western academia. Infact, this is practically the only thing IITs are actually known for. Their entire 'reputation' comes from the fact that they have been a gateway to other countries or better incomes.
Actual technology developers such as ISRO or NAL have very poor relationship with these institutes.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

ramana wrote:Thales already has the RBE2 developed. To fit in LCA they think it can be done.
As for weapons trials just buy Astra only. Tejas is ready for that.

F414 and Mk2 will be committed unless Congress comes back to power.
Given AMCA is likely to be based on the 414, it makes sense to atleast screwdriver them here.
KrishnaK
BRFite

Post by KrishnaK »

shiv wrote:

12 Chinese institutions in QS world university rankings' Top 100
In total, China is home to more top-100 institutions than any other Asian nation. It is ahead of Japan (five), South Korea (five) and Singapore (two). In fact, only two nations in the world are home to more elite universities: Britain (16), and the United States (31).
We do lack brainpower in India.
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

Our Institutions are more like our defense acquisitions. Just concentrating on screwdriver-giri. What we have to do is convert each IIT into a specialized institute like for aviation, metallurgy, computer science. We have to then pump the best resources and Manpower into theses institutes in those particular fields and allow the companies working in the specific domain to tie up for research. We are now mainly concentrating in creating outsourcing coolies.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Rakesh, the cost of second line is 1250Cr or so, which is HAL's share and 50% of total cost (rest 25% from IAF and 25% from IN). That 130Cr figure is a typo. Missed one Zero.
nachiket wrote:
Indranil wrote: It's not about that. They showed urgency over IJT, HTT-40, LUH, LCH.
LCA is different because its ADA's baby?
To some extent, Yes. Thought its been reduced to a large extent now. HAL does not have ownership of the design. Even if they want to expedite they need SOP frozen first. If you read CAG report, one big reason for delays in first production line set up was because ADA kept changing SOPs for LSPs. There are huge differences among the LSPs. The changes in turn were dictated by the ever changing requirements. How do you set up a production line for ever changing SOP..? HAL does have its own money but no ownership of LCA. Where they have full ownership of projects they went ahead and invested own money. For LCH they even went ahead with Limited series production despite no orders. Orders came later. For second LCA line where HAL's 50% share was 1250Cr, they had to wait for MoD's approval (HAL has only a limited financial autonomy owing to its Navaratna status, and this was beyond that limit. Elsewhere they have invested 500-600Cr of own money on projects like HTT-40, HTFE/HTSE/ LCA/LUH, as that's within HAL governing body's power). MoD sat on the proposal for over a year. Not its cleared and HAL has already set up second line (setting up an assembly line is not a big deal, just a big hall and bunch of jigs/fixtures/machines are needed. What is more challenging is to get supply chain rolling and skilled man power to man the new stations and keep the cost of expansion reasonable so the unit cost don't shoot up too much).

On the other hand is ADA which has the ownership but no money of its own to commit. Neither it have any statutory authority or control over other involved organizations. This issue has been raised/discussed ever since LCA was conceived and ADA was in concept stage, in early 1983-84 time period. The program management model is flawed. Only until in 2006 that there was a combined governing body to steer LCA was formed. IAF/ADA/HAL seat together in it and its chaired by RM. They have quarterly or monthly meetings. So all the stake holders at the top are aware of all the decisions and why they have taken.

But now it seems HAL might be more keen to take LCA's ownership. MK1A is basically HAL's baby which got approved against ADA's MK2 proposal. IMO LCA can be completely transferred to HAL, even the MK2 version. ADA can focus on AMCA/Ghatak. As such majority of LCA's subsystems are actually designed by HAL. It will should not be a big deal for them to take the project over completely. We need to do away with this misplaced Responsibility-Authority-Accountability model.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

The government is also thinking of doing away with the plans to build a single-engine fighter aircraft programme in favour of the light combat aircraft Tejas which is still in the evolution stage in terms of technology and capabilities.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/as-a ... 91365.html
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Rakesh wrote:RBE 2 AA from Thales --> https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/active-e ... rbe2-radar
RBE 2 AA from Thales --> https://www.thalesgroup.com/sites/defau ... bat_ok.pdf

EL/M-2052 from Elta --> http://www.iai.co.il/2013/34481-34455-e ... s-ELM.aspx
EL/M-2052 from Elta --> http://www.iai.co.il/Sip_Storage//FILES/7/41417.pdf

Like I said earlier, have multiple component programs going for similar systems. Radar + Engine to start off with. Mitigates risk, enjoy the advantages (and disadvantages) of both systems. Learn from them and develop/fine-tune your own components.

Kaveri --> F404/F414 + M88
Uttam --> EL/M-2052 + RBE 2 AA

Have Thales, Elta, GE, Snecma-Safran partner with public and/or private institutions. I prefer the latter and this is where Chola's idea can come to frutition. Have private/public firms invest in doing screwdrivergiri on components, but not on an entire plane. You can learn a lot more on a component (micro - laser vision focus) that just doing assembly on a plane (macro - no focus, all over the map, zero learning). You want to revolutionize the aviation industry? Start on small albeit absolutely-must-have components.

Rope in IITs and other educational institutions if you need to. We don't have a lack of brainpower in India. Rather than have newly-minted IITs graduates go abroad, give them "valuable" employment in Indian organisations with comparable pay + benefit packages like their Western counterparts. Lot cheaper than SEF (no sarcasm intended) and that investment has payoffs. Think long term, not short term and asinine solutions like SEF acquisition.

SEF acquisition does not mitigate risk vis-à-vis Tejas Mk1A or Mk2, it does the exact opposite.
Rakesh saar, its important to keep the program at low-risk and realistic. More components in the system only add to more variables and more places/chances of failures. More may not be better always. Rahter that experimenting too much on single jet, it would be more prudent to spread out diversification over other jets in the fleet. Elta is already coming on Jaguar. Thales on Rafale. We do not need all of these on LCA at the same time. Same goes with engine. Run science projects with all these things on flight test LCA articles by all means, but operational fleet needs to be robust and necessarily with least number of variables possible to keep reliability and maintainability at reasonable levels.

Let me say this one more time - Its not the technology what we really need "ToT" in, but its the Program Management/Systems Engineering. Once we get that right, technology development will follow. LCA is one project which got rather prompt funding (in Indian context, relatively speaking), we developed key technologies in record time. Where we screwed up is the program management, despite all stake holders seating together and driving the program. The kind of changes that has happened in LCA requirements, do not happen anywhere else in the world. Even this Mk1 to MK1A kind of knee jerk decisions do not happen.
Bharadwaj
BRFite

Post by Bharadwaj »

Import lobby is probably sh**ing bricks at the prospect of the Single engine deal dying soon.... But why are they worrying? After all they went around claiming that most of tejas is imported.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

KrishnaK wrote: 12 Chinese institutions in QS world university rankings' Top 100
In total, China is home to more top-100 institutions than any other Asian nation. It is ahead of Japan (five), South Korea (five) and Singapore (two). In fact, only two nations in the world are home to more elite universities: Britain (16), and the United States (31).
We do lack brainpower in India.
:rotfl: Did u check what "QS" stands for, please?

UBCN has released the MS Rankings for world dung dealers:

1. (drumbeat) Ulan Bator Yakshala
2. Suburban Ulan Bator Dung
3. Northern Ulan Bator Dung
4. Southern Ulan Bator Dung
5. Eastern Ulan Bator Dung
6. Western Ulan Bator Dung.

TOP 6 DUNG DEALERS ARE ALL FROM MONGOLIA!!!!
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

ashishvikas wrote:The government is also thinking of doing away with the plans to build a single-engine fighter aircraft programme in favour of the light combat aircraft Tejas which is still in the evolution stage in terms of technology and capabilities.

Read the DPP. Every purchase, making locally is considered before getting a go ahead for imports.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

@Ulan Batori: can you please decipher what you typed in simple English? I can never figure out what you say. Your Pinglish is too advanced :)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

@ JayS: Saar, i am referring to science project onlee. I am not saying the IAF needs to operate similar systems. The logistical nightmare to have similar components in a single squadron is not desired.

So with regards to the engine, the Tejas is already flying with the F404 and F414 is planned for Mk 2. Snecma is working on reviving the Kaveri with the M88 core as part of the Rafale offset. At no point am I saying that the IAF needs to stop flying ops with No 45 Sqn and wait for Kaveri to come online. Rather continue with F404 onlee. Fly the plane, achieve FOC and do all the wonderful things in between. Continue with Tejas production as well. Finish development of Mk2 with F414 onlee. Also get a screwdrivergiri line for the F404/F414 and churn them out. But let Snecma do its thing on a LCA test bed, which they plan to do anyway. At the end of the day, a certified Kaveri engine is the end goal - self reliance. Also will a screwdrivergiri F404/F414 line be more expensive than SEF acquisition? The other issue - will America allow for such a screwdrivergiri line? I believe we are in a Strategic Partnership. Are we not?

Same theory with radar also, but Brar has pointed out a better path. So lets go down that path onlee. There is no hard and fast rule, that you must have multiple components.

At the end of the day, whatever it takes for Tejas to succeed and SEF acquisition to be given a second look. Your suggestions are equally great and must be invested in. We lack serious Project Mgmt skills in India. Get that and Systems Engg will flow. We have no enforceable deadlines on anything. That creates a ripe environment for import lobbies.

SEF needs to go. It does not mitigate risk, it increases risk for the IAF and the GOI. Financially speaking, a dumb thing to do.
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Rakesh wrote:@ JayS: Saar, i am referring to science project onlee.
OK. Sorry for misunderstanding. :D
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Rakesh wrote: More **acute** than squadron shortage is pilot shortage (no point in acquiring 100 new birds if there are few pilots to fly them), increasing the serviceability of current aircraft (MRO facilities), increasing stocks of present weaponry for a 2 - 3 week conflict, air base modernisation (MAFI), air base protection (Akash, S-400, etc), force multipliers (tankers, AEW, etc)....the list goes on.
The list goes on? That list, as such, is already very depressing. Import lobby is very strong not only in defense, several other critical auxiliary dual use areas as well.

Added later: let me temper that. Import lobby is strong so those who are in favor of make in India are finding bogeymen everywhere.
Last edited by Vayutuvan on 17 Nov 2017 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

The funny thing is have we ordered more than 41 GE404In20 engines, if not one of 2 things. We have also not ordered more than 8 He 414's

1. Kaveri with Safran/ rolls Royce is in an advanced stage or
2. Single Engine fighter is coming.

I hope there is clarity on this soon
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Rakesh wrote:@Ulan Batori: can you please decipher what you typed in simple English? I can never figure out what you say. Your Pinglish is too advanced :)
That list, why is it posted here? In any cas, let me translate UB ji's post.

S in QS sands for Shanghai. Hint hint ... What do Shanghai and stats together mean?
Lot of people in US academia have problems with that ranking. It is simply sledging of the kind China is engaging in all competitions.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ashishvikas wrote:The government is also thinking of doing away with the plans to build a single-engine fighter aircraft programme in favour of the light combat aircraft Tejas which is still in the evolution stage in terms of technology and capabilities.

This is the reason for the erroneous data.

Looks like a balanced decision based on schedule, cost and technology and need to foster an aerospace industry and not assy shops.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

New Video: Who is trying to sabotage the Tejas? Do not kill the Tejas
https://youtu.be/4Lzh5LZ5L3M
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Hakeem,

VEry well done. The narrative in the above video will make a great article. Would you like to publish it?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

I echo IR. Very good job Hakeem. Kudos!
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Great job Shivji !
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

Sir I just awarded you the gold medal for the best u tube video by a brfite ever . I had tears in my eyes . Tx
Last edited by Suresh S on 18 Nov 2017 04:17, edited 1 time in total.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Awesome work Shivji!
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Wow! Shiv ji. You have a voice of authority, I must say. Great work! Let’s hope it becomes viral!
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Nice one Shiv! please get SJha and others to share on twitter to pass this around.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

akashganga
BRFite

Post by akashganga »

shiv wrote:New Video: Who is trying to sabotage the Tejas? Do not kill the Tejas
This is very good. We need all voices in support of LCA. There is definitely strong and stealthy foreign forces acting against LCA, Arjun, etc. At all costs India should make LCA successful. That will lay foundation for next 100 years of aerospace industry in India.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

We also need to rebut the Gripen E and F16 as SEF are not viable due to schedule, technology and costs.
Tejas Mk1A leading to Mk2 is the best choice for India.
And what it takes to get there.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Thanks for the positive comments people
Indranil wrote:Hakeem,

VEry well done. The narrative in the above video will make a great article. Would you like to publish it?
Thanks. Good idea. Funnily enough I actually typed out the text so there is already a ready-made article that just needs some additional points. Thanks for the suggestion.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ramana wrote:We also need to rebut the Gripen E and F16 as SEF are not viable due to schedule, technology and costs.
Tejas Mk1A leading to Mk2 is the best choice for India.
And what it takes to get there.
See below...

Vayu Aerospace - May/June 2017 issue
http://www.vayuaerospace.in/past_issues ... un2017.pdf

Page 66, Third Column, At Bottom
According to Commodore Balaji, design work on the LCA Mk.2 was moving apace with some major design changes envisaged to the intakes and fuselage so as to accommodate the GE F414 engine, a batch of which have recently been delivered to ADA. The LCA Mk.2’s wings will be moved out board by about 350mm, increasing the space between fuselage and wings, thus optimising load transfer and allowing for an increase of fuel (700 kg) in the central fuselage. Detailed design should be complete by 2019 and requisite raw material had already been ordered by ADA which aims to carry out the LCA Mk.2’s first flight in 2020-21. The full scale mockup of the LCA Navy Mk.2 should be ready by early 2018.

Making a direct reference to Saab, the intrepid designers at ADA believe that they are "at the same stage" in terms of time and effort as are their Swedish counterparts with their Gripen M.
Vayu Aerospace - Jan/Feb 2017 issue
http://www.vayuaerospace.in/past_issues ... eb2017.pdf

Page 64, Second Column, At Top
The F-16/Gripen E: These pose the most direct threat as they are generically similar i.e. single-engine, single-seat, to the Tejas, particularly the Tejas Mk.2. However these aircraft have put on between two and three tonnes since their inception and are no longer the cheerful things they were though they remain very effective for global wars. We need something smaller and simpler. Again in their non selection, the reason was probably political. Having gingerly disengaged from the Russian Bear it is hardly wise to rush into the arms of the American Grizzly! Both these countries are large enough to twist our arms! The Gripen too, like the Viggen earlier, is “sanctionable”. I am also leery of buying any single engine warplane from the West. These things cost half their weight in gold and single engines have a five time higher attrition rate than twins in peacetime. Still, if I had to choose, I would take the Gripen.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Bloody Amazing News, IF TRUE. Screwdrivergiri Components! Not an entire plane!

This is from Jan/Feb 2015 issue of Vayu, Page 134, Second & Third Column. Not sure what has happened since then.
http://www.vayuaerospace.in/past_issues ... eb2015.pdf

The President and CEO, South Asia, GE Transportation and Aviation - Nitin Jain (NJ) says this...
Q. Related to the ‘Make in India’ theme, GE’s new manufacturing campus in Pune is expected to be operational shortly. While it is understood that this facility will cater to a variety of GE activities, what aerospace and defence manufacturing, if any, is to be conducted here?

NJ: GE is manufacturing several components for the global supply chain at its Multi-Modal Facility (MMF) in Pune. GE’s Pune MMF is a large facility to source material for the GE aviation supply chain as well and looks at local opportunities to manufacture, including a significant amount for aviation. GE has invested $200 million in the MMF, which is our largest manufacturing facility outside the USA, catering to domestic needs as well as the international market. This state-of-the-art manufacturing unit of GE has the capability to train people on multiple-platforms of different scale, thus developing highly skilled workforce and achieving greater output.

Q. The IAF recently received its first production Tejas LCA, while the naval prototype made a successful trial at the SBTF in Goa in December 2014. GE’s F404 is integral to the LCA programme, and the F414 is expected to play a role in the future LCA Mk.II as well. Could you give an overview of GE’s involvement with the LCA Mk.I and Mk.II?

NJ: GE has a strong presence in the Indian aviation sector, which is among the fastest growing aviation markets globally. GE’s military systems and intelligent platforms are equipping militaries with highly evolved solutions needed to improve reliability and enhance operational performance. The Indian government has decided on upgrading of the LCA Mk1 and the Aeronautical Development Agency is going ahead with LCA MkII for which the GE F414-INS6 engine has been selected.

With transfer of technology and productionisation of the F414-INS6 expected to happen in the near future, India has a unique opportunity to leverage economies of scale and commonality for using this robust engine for its future fighter jet programmes. The F414-INS6 is currently on schedule in development and testing. India should be proud of its success in the LCA. Building such capabilities takes years to develop fully; it is a learning curve which every country must go through.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

shiv wrote:New Video: Who is trying to sabotage the Tejas? Do not kill the Tejas
:shock: Wow. Great work Shiv Ji. Thank you for your efforts.

Really liked that you so concisely covered the major points including the computer control minimizing/eliminating accidental overshooting the limits, the wing loading optimisation for high altitude performance, stealth advantages due to usage of composites and it's small size..

One small request. I know you have already done a lot. Would it possible for you to list the salient points of the Tejas in the description. And also include the part about IFR integration being done

PS : loved the 'Chinese occupied Tibet' bit :D
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh wrote:Bloody Amazing News, IF TRUE. Screwdrivergiri Components! Not an entire plane!

This is from Jan/Feb 2015 issue of Vayu, Page 134, Second & Third Column. Not sure what has happened since then.
Oh yeah!!!! Thank You Google Chacha!

GE’s Brilliant Advanced Manufacturing Plant in Pune, India
https://www.ge.com/reports/post/1109279 ... -plant-in/

JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Rakesh wrote:
Rakesh wrote:Bloody Amazing News, IF TRUE. Screwdrivergiri Components! Not an entire plane!

Oh yeah!!!! Thank You Google Chacha!
I was going to reply to ramana's post about setting up mfg plant in BLR, that if GE manufactures F414 in India it would be most probably in Pune. Nice video. I haven't seen that before.

One big advantage India can offer as far as high-tech manufacturing is, we have tons of engineers available at cheap cost. We can provide decent design/mechanical engineering capabilities to each and every small manufacturing unit (along with obvious Production engineering capability). Many SMEs in Europe/US suffer a lot due to lack of inhouse engineering capability and tend to work sub-optimally (especially those Tier2/3 suppliers which make-to-print). We can practically make each centre as integrated engineering and manufacturing center and we perhaps should work on this model.

Shiv, awesome work. An article would be a real great service for the Nation I say, please think of publishing one.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Amazing video Shivji. Brings a lot of clarity to the subject.

One suggestion. In addition to the import lobby in bureaucracy and forces, even dirty journalists and mediapersons are on the payroll. You can point this out in your next video.