LCA: News & Discussions: 15 August 2017

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Vips
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA: News & Discussions: 15 August 2017

Post by Vips »

And 130 of them can start coming from next year when HAL completes producing last of SU30MKI
Even after manufacturing the MKI for 12 plus years , India has managed a run rate of max 12 aircrafts per year, there are 32 more to be assembled/manufactured to reach 272, so it will take another 3 years to achieve that.
GopiD
BRFite

Post by GopiD »

JayS wrote:Thats pitot tube alright.

Apart from camera pods (one can make out cameras also there), EFT on centerline and something under right intake where one would expect LDP, but it looks bigger than I expected LDP would be. Difficult to see what it it. Quite dark and low quality in that region. Definitely drop test. All 4 mid and inboard pylons were loaded may be.

PS- just checked FB. So its LSP7. I cant see shit other that this. Someones chappals/shoes are there it seems near the ladder, a man walking by and a tractor. But we are obviously not talking about this stuff right..?

PPS: Looking at the pylons the inboard ones where carring EFTs it seems.
You should be able to see more now :D

JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

^^ Thanks a lot for that. I did the same on my laptop after I posted that. I don't see more than what I have already described. :((

Anyways, see this SAAB official marketing PPT: http://www.saabveteran.se/110417totalt/ ... pontus.pdf

See slide 12.

So much for the claim of 4000km ferry range.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

JayS wrote:^^ Thanks a lot for that. I did the same on my laptop after I posted that. I don't see more than what I have already described. :((
What is that rigid cylinder with a conical red tip having a little hole in the centre, looking like an ahem seen to the right of the centerline tank? Is it an SPJ. It's probably not a gun pod
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

shiv wrote:
JayS wrote:^^ Thanks a lot for that. I did the same on my laptop after I posted that. I don't see more than what I have already described. :((
What is that rigid cylinder with a conical red tip having a little hole in the centre, looking like an ahem seen to the right of the centerline tank? Is it an SPJ. It's probably not a gun pod
LDP I suppose. That is dedicated station for LDP.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

shiv wrote:My article in Swarajya

Who is trying to sabotage the Tejas
Very good. Thanks for writing this.

One Observation - the picture it shows is that of Su-30 while the caption says LCA.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

^^
I have just emailed them an image to use, but its Sat evening..
deejay
Forum Moderator

Post by deejay »

Great job Sir. Tweeted.
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Shv, good read and details.

The mere fact that we have a safest flight test for a jet, on a first attempt FBW is achievement par excellence.

I wish George fernades could reply back to LM's letter;

"Dear LM, You told me LCA will be falling off the skies..."
akashganga
BRFite

Post by akashganga »

deejay wrote:

Great job Sir. Tweeted.
This is very good. All patriots should keep up the good fight. The import lobby is putting up all resources to kill tejas. We should make tejas succeed and have indigenous aero space industry for generations to come.
GopiD
BRFite

Post by GopiD »

Great work Shiv ji. Leading by example is what you are.

If I may suggest and if possible, please add the links to the gripen and F16 data sheets that were shown in your video. Also a small spelling correction in “all TOO easy to forget” part.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

loss of Tejas will not be just Tejas, but costly and long term avionics and weapons pkgs and their AMCs will all need to be imported to fit in with whatever the OEM has qualified.

no astra, astra bad bad, only amraam will do,
no saaw, SDB3 is much better
no garuda when you have a vast range of GBU with diamondbacks.
and indian EW or radar need not apply.
even the israelis were made to use the APG68v9 radar on F16I Sufa than their own 2032/2054

there are BILLIONS of $$ over 40 years at stake here. fortunes and careers could be made and unmade by pleasing the right people and toeing the right line.

Cheen air marshals must be roftl at the prospect of facing 150 imported F-solah in 2030 from the IAF (imported air force) - so much for CNP metrics and playing the bigger game.

I am so disgusted will take vanvas from mil threads for a while and stick to L&M - atleast all everyone wants there is a good lay in the hay and none to my knowledge are import-pasand :lol:
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Good Stuff, Sir!
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Don't you guys find something interesting in the inboard and midboard pylons? What has not been tested before?
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

Seems like multi ejector racks ...
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Indranil wrote:Don't you guys find something interesting in the inboard and midboard pylons? What has not been tested before?
Do you mean this configuration?
Eric Leiderman
BRFite

Post by Eric Leiderman »

Manish_P wrote:

Good Stuff, Sir!

Nice post , See if they will post a follow up with more info
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Great work .. Did my bit by sharing
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Do i see twin carriage pylons on the IB. Is that a 800l drop tank on the center? Both ib&mb stations have pylons ready. Did they plumb the mb too?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Hakeem, great job!
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Dr. Shiv - hats off for a great article!!
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

....IAF Skips a heartbeat
The Air Force is set to put in firm orders for 83 Tejas IA next month. But the pace of production is a damper and a matter of concern.
I too skipped a beat on this
“It is like comparing a two-stroke 100 CC motorcycle, no matter how good it is, to a two-stroke Harley,” a source said.
Interestingly, the IAF projections till 2042 take into account Tejas Mark 2, which is supposed to an aircraft of a superior level comparable to Gripen and F16, indigenous Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) and foreign single-engine fighter aircraft.
Is news typed on notepad???
If HAL would have been reading news, they would have some sources claim that "Gripen/F16 could be squashed like a fly by Tejas"
So we have heard the following analogies/comparisons so far
1. 3 legged cheetah
2. Two stroke harley v/s 100 cc engine
Some people need a C17 drop load of burnols
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

That source is on something really potent for there is no two stroke Harley ever in it's history.
I know my Harleys.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

ramana wrote:That source is on something really potent for there is no two stroke Harley ever in it's history.
I know my Harleys.
Anyways india has not been very fair to har-ley and have been taxing them in "HUGE HUGE HUGE TAX brackets"
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

This is getting hilarious.

IAF should place a gag order. And a public statement saying "views expressed by 'IAF sources' don not represent that of the IAF".
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Srai sahab, that config except the midboard will carry 800 ltrs. The tank on the center pylon carries 725 ltrs.

Think of all the strike combinations that have now become possible.

We know that dual pylons for A2A are coming. I am sure the quad packs for SAAW class of missiles will come too. The only thing that I would love to see, but haven't heard of yet is dual rack for 2 SDBs.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

LGBs you mean?
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

Why exactly ADA is putting time and efforts in testing various configs when thry really should focus on getting IFR, BVR trials done and wrap up FOC..? Once thats done the SOP gets frozen and HAL is free to start metal cutting. What exactly is forcing ADA to go for the work which can be done post FOC..? Has IAF asked for all permutations and combinations of weapons before FOC...? I really wonder when FOC is pending why team Tejas is working on such stuff which can be postponed until FOC. If gun trials can be post FOC so can the testing of add on weapons combinations.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

ramana wrote:That source is on something really potent for there is no two stroke Harley ever in it's history.
I know my Harleys.
My guess is probably SEF is going through a second dheko at the MoD and thus all the bad press on the Tejas. I do not know how true this is - but based on one of the articles I read recently on BRF onlee, the MoD is questioning the need for single engine vs capability. In that scenario, additional Su-30MKIs (40 more as announced by ACM Dhanoa on 08 Oct 2017) and a possible follow on order of 36 Rafales can easily meet that demand.

36 confirmed Rafales + 40 confirmed Su-30MKIs + 40 possible Rafales = 112 which is 14 short of 126.

By staying silent "officially" on the bad press of the Tejas, the IAF is not helping the bird. For a plane that will be the main workhorse of the IAF, it is their duty to hold a press meet and debunk those claims. If they can do that for the Rafale - a foreign bird - with Air Marshal Ragunath Nambiar representing the IAF right alongside Defence Minister Sitharaman, they should do the same for the Tejas as well.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Rakesh wrote: By staying silent "officially" on the bad press of the Tejas, the IAF is not helping the bird.
Rakesh they have not been silent. Even ACM Dhanoa flew a sortie in the Tejas and attracted attention. He made a symbolic flight on the Bison to reaffirm his faith and he extended the courtesy to Tejas. That apart we have statements from Bhaduria and ACM Raha (retd)

I believe that there are so so many silly statements made in the media that the MoD and the IAF simply do not see it fit to respond unless it is damaging in some way.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

I know my Harleys.
<OT>

Saar they did. At least 2 times - once in the late 40s-early 50s then in the mid 70s - to beat the Japanese
You do what you have to do to survive against the competition
But I can understand hard core Harley Fans getting upset :D

</OT>
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Hakeem,

Raha sir went on a phyrrr on LCA, not dhanoa sahib.
Truth be told IAF itself is divided on the SEF competition. In 2011, it categorically said F-16 and Gripen did not meet IAF's requirements.
Now ...

The country is at an important juncture as you have rightly identified in your report and videos. It remains to be seen what IAF does. Repeat historical mistakes, or ...
SiddharthS
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SiddharthS »

No more white elephant Rafales please , it's going to be the worst decision IAF/GOI made in the 21st century unless of course it goes for the SEF. One hopes that the opposition keeps on harping about the Rafales so that the next round of import gets halted , giving GOI pause before going for the SEF import.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

JayS wrote:Why exactly ADA is putting time and efforts in testing various configs when thry really should focus on getting IFR, BVR trials done and wrap up FOC..? Once thats done the SOP gets frozen and HAL is free to start metal cutting. What exactly is forcing ADA to go for the work which can be done post FOC..? Has IAF asked for all permutations and combinations of weapons before FOC...? I really wonder when FOC is pending why team Tejas is working on such stuff which can be postponed until FOC. If gun trials can be post FOC so can the testing of add on weapons combinations.
FOC would be defined by the IAF and so all qualifications are for that. LCA Mk.1 at FOC will be a fully developed bird and that is how the IAF wants it.
Last edited by srai on 26 Nov 2017 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

SiddharthS wrote:No more white elephant Rafales please , it's going to be the worst decision IAF/GOI made in the 21st century unless of course it goes for the SEF. One hopes that the opposition keeps on harping about the Rafales so that the next round of import gets halted , giving GOI pause before going for the SEF import.
Care to elaborate what you mean by that?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Indranil wrote:Hakeem,

Raha sir went on a phyrrr on LCA, not dhanoa sahib.
ACM Dhanoa flies LCA
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

India's multi-role fighter Tejas to be equipped with world's fastest cruise missile -'Brahmos Light' (Times now)
New Delhi: After the successful launch of the supersonic Brahmos cruise missile from the Sukhoi-30, ensuring a tactical advantage for the armed forces, work on 'BRAHMOS Light,' a lighter version of the missile that can be fired from the Tejas, the indigenously made Light Combat Aircraft that the Indian Air Force is acquiring, has begun.

The new version of the Brahmos will have a smaller engine. The warhead will be about the same but the weight of the missile will be considerably less. The lighter missile's range will be about the same: 300 km.

A senior defence official said it is "currently in the design stage, though initial consultations have been held." The missile is likely to be ready by 2019.

The Brahmos ('Brah' from Brahmaputra and 'Mos' from Moscow) is a missile jointly developed in the late Nineties.
Its speed makes interception difficult. As the Tejas is a lighter aircraft compared with to the Sukhoi-30 (about 1,000kg to 1,800 kg), a lighter missile becomes necessary. The IAF is looking at over 120 Tejas fighter aircraft in the future.
arvin
BRFite

Post by arvin »

Thats great news. Capabilities like this might have made MOD change its mind on SEF.
SiddharthS
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SiddharthS »

Kashi wrote:
SiddharthS wrote:No more white elephant Rafales please , it's going to be the worst decision IAF/GOI made in the 21st century unless of course it goes for the SEF. One hopes that the opposition keeps on harping about the Rafales so that the next round of import gets halted , giving GOI pause before going for the SEF import.
Care to elaborate what you mean by that?
Specificity would be appreciated.