LCA: News & Discussions: 15 August 2017

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
srai
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA: News & Discussions: 15 August 2017

Post by srai »

Pratyush wrote:Personally I don't understand why such stupid articles are being published at this point of time. Tejas will be built and IAF will take them as fast as hal can make them. Their is no other option.

So it makes no logical sense for such idiotic pieces to be published and yet we see one such piece every month like clockwork.
That article doesn't even have an author's name! Not only the "official" being quoted is anonymous but also the writer :D
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Pratyush wrote:The French airforce chief has flown in tejas. While anonymous IAF officers are running it down in toilet paper.
There are no such 'anonymous' sources. Just vested interests among journalists.
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

LCA is here guys - Potential issues I see
- Delay in FOC (or some shortfall in performance)
- Not enough capacity per year, tied to how big is the order (they should bump the number to 240 at least , including all variants). This will give confidence to private players/HAL also to ramp up capacity
- non continuity of order, should have order for at least 2-3 years based on current variant at that time, as it takes that much time from scratch to build a plane
-Go for continuous improvement and not wait for improvements to be proofed and then order.
- Please do LCA mark 2 and plan for mark 3
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Indranil, Bear with me.
So HAL has the initial 8 planes line of which 5 are working.
Then they have this 1/2 a line which can handle 3/year.

They have been funded Rs. 1300 crores for the second line of 8/year.

So HAL 5+3+8 will be their capacity by 2019?

Any possibility of the remaining 3 in the original line being brought up to speed?
prasannasimha
Forum Moderator

Post by prasannasimha »

^ I think there is an 8 line with 8 planes in various stages and a 1/2 line of 4 per year. here is one picture of multiple planes in various stages of assembly by Tarmak. If we look at that we will probably get an idea.
Akshay Kapoor
Forum Moderator

Post by Akshay Kapoor »

Bhaskar_T wrote:French Air Force Chief flies Tejas but couldn't find (yet) any comments from him.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 819915.cms
Cest Magnifique. Bein tres bien.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

I think the simplest way to view this is as follows. There are 2 lines each capable of producing 8 aircraft when they reach capacity.

Line 1 has reached a capacity to produce 6 aircraft per year. The longest phase in the pipeline, i.e. the equipping phase of this line is currently at 6 weeks. But I hear that there are still some things to be streamlined to reach the 8 aircraft per year. They expect to hit the stride in the third quarter of this year.

The second one is coming up. SP5, SP8, SP11 have been assigned to it (meaning that SP3, SP4, SP6, SP7, SP9, SP10, SP12 etc. are assigned to line 1). This line is supposed to reach its capacity by first to second quarter of next year.

At that point, the cumulative production rate would reach 16 per annum, and if SP-i comes out of Line 1, SP-i+1 will come out of line 2 and so on.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So I am wrong to think the initial line was to make 8/planes a year?

And the 1/2 line adds 4 more per year?

Was the half line just to make up original 8/year?
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

The first line was actually two lines: one with a capacity of 5 per year and another with a capacity of 3 per year. The second line can just produce 8 per year.

Just forget those complications and remember first line = 8 per year and second line = 8 per year.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

IR's post above is wonderful news. They are on track to hitting 16/year in 2019. If they achieve that target in 2019, then the IAF will see a quicker induction of Tejas aircraft into the fleet. That will translate into greater user confidence in the platform and will also give ADA / HAL the incentive to improve the platform via Mk2.

2019 will be an important year for the Tejas program. Two major milestones to be met in 2019 are;

1) Hitting production rate of 16/yr
2) Kaveri engine flying with M88 core*

* Testing a flying prototype is however only 50% of the story, certification is another 25% and mass production another 25%. But let it fly first and then GTRE can figure out the rest.

Don't stop NOW. Keep at it. If SEF continues to drag in 2018 - beyond the current level of noise - expect no serious movement on SEF in 2019, till post elections. At that time everything will come to a head. Crunch time for the MoD Babus and the GOI to make the decision in 2019.

And till Mk1A is certified, continue with Mk1 production. HAL Chief has said that Mk1s can be converted into Mk1A.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rakesh The new 2018 Defence budget has no money for all these fancy SEFs.
That's what Karnad was bemoaning.

Essentially NaMo floated a trail balloon and confirmed what's on offer. Just in case they were missing something.

Unless Congoons come back in 2019 its the Tejas Mk1A and beyond.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

What is this 5 Axis CNC for?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ArjunPandit wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZOiNdkJ8SU

Check out an example of our 5 axis mill machining a turbine blade.

Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Improved production rate is v.good news and as LCAs steadily come off the line entering service, the firang import of a new type will look less cost-effective.Here the DM/ MOD must be pro-active active and present to the IAF the stark financial realities as of now, and how numbers of aircraft and sqd s. can be met by LCAs and extra aircraft of types in service.One mystery is JAG. upgrades.Littld nrws. This is a sizeable number of 120+ aircraft, 150 if the old French ones are added.Lots of work for HAL and a very cost-effective effective solution to maintaining numbers and capability.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

ramana wrote:Indranil, Bear with me.
So HAL has the initial 8 planes line of which 5 are working. Then they have this 1/2 a line which can handle 3/year. They have been funded Rs. 1300 crores for the second line of 8/year. Any possibility of the remaining 3 in the original line being brought up to speed? So HAL 5+3+8 will be their capacity by 2019?
Indranil wrote:The first line was actually two lines: one with a capacity of 5 per year and another with a capacity of 3 per year. The second line can just produce 8 per year.

Just forget those complications and remember first line = 8 per year and second line = 8 per year.
HAL Bangalore has two divisions, Tejas Division, that manufactures @ 5 per year. This was a greenfield facility.

The other is HAL Aircraft Division, that has historically manufactured Vampire -> Gnat -> Marut -> Kiran -> Jaguar -> currently Hawk. The old Kiran lines was converted to an additional Tejas line @ 3 per year.

Above comprise first line (Tejas Division + Aircraft Division)

A brand new line was approved by CCS in 2017 at Nekkundi that will manufacture 8 per year.

http://idrw.org/ccs-clears-3rd-producti ... lca-tejas/

Personally I would prefer HAL lets go of the Hawk and focuses on only Tejas with Tejas Division increased from 5 to 8 per year, Aircraft Division increased from 3 to 8 per year and Nekkundi at 8 per year leading to cumulative 24 per year required to recapitalize IAF fleet.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

They haven't posted your comments.
tsarkar wrote:...

I left the following comment at the site. However, most other comments, mostly left by members here, are not factual and borderline insulting, thus ending up being detrimental to the cause. You cant make a person realize the truth by abusing and shaming him.
Dear Editor & Journalist,

This article is speculative that does not truthfully reflect the actual facts.

Firstly, the LCA Air Staff Requirements (ASR) were quite high by the standards of the day, being met by few high-class expensive fighters like Mirage 2000 & F-16 and not met by standard fighters like Jaguar and MiG Series comprising 90% of IAF fleet at all times.

Despite such a high bar, and the fact that we were building a fighter from a scratch with no know-how and infrastructure, ADA is on track to meet Tejas ASR on Instantaneous Turn Rate (ITR), Sustained Turn Rate (STR) and Angle of Attack (AoA) by its Full Operational Clearance (FOC). Its aerobatic capabilities were amply displayed at Bahrain Air Show in 2016 where it pulled 8 g climbs and in exercises like Iron First 2016.

Secondly, regarding range, the IAF ASR specified a “Light Combat Aircraft”. It is like initially asking for a small hatchback like Maruti 800 and later on criticising it for not having the fuel capacity of a high-end sedan. The IAF got the range it asked for in 1982. After something got developed, one can’t suddenly change the goalpost.

Thirdly, the senior IAF official closely associated with the testing of Tejas prototypes referred to in your article doesn’t seem to aware of the current progress of the program, that has moved from prototype vehicles (PV) to limited series production (LSP) to serial production (SP) with significant improvements in each phase.

As a matter of professional integrity, he should come on record with his point of view rather than share incorrect facts anonymously. If the officer has the courage of conviction, then he should openly state the facts for public discussion, otherwise, he is making cowardly frivolous comments in an un-officer-like manner completely showing lack of officer-like qualities based on which he got his commission.

In addition, then Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar had banned delay in programs based on anonymous complaints, that more often reflected vested interests. As India develops its own missiles and fighters, lucrative billion dollar markets get closed for foreign companies and they resort to dishonest techniques like falsified facts of failure to stop the progress of indigenous programs. Even foreign manufacturer exploits the oligopoly to extort money from India for defense products that we’re left with no choice but to pay. We also remain at the mercy of sanctions of the foreign nation. Indigenous products destroy that vicious cycle of high costs extorted by foreign manufacturers.

I would humbly request the editorial and journalist team of Times of India to portray a correct picture instead of vague anonymous reports. Your sister organisation Indiatimes has done a factual report on No 45 Squadron IAF where pilots flying and maintaining Tejas have spoken about the true capabilities of the aircraft.

Let truth prevail!

Regards
TSarkar
JayS
Forum Moderator

Post by JayS »

tsarkar wrote:
ramana wrote:Indranil, Bear with me.
So HAL has the initial 8 planes line of which 5 are working. Then they have this 1/2 a line which can handle 3/year. They have been funded Rs. 1300 crores for the second line of 8/year. Any possibility of the remaining 3 in the original line being brought up to speed? So HAL 5+3+8 will be their capacity by 2019?
Indranil wrote:The first line was actually two lines: one with a capacity of 5 per year and another with a capacity of 3 per year. The second line can just produce 8 per year.

HAL Bangalore has two divisions, Tejas Division, that manufactures @ 5 per year. This was a greenfield facility.

The other is HAL Aircraft Division, that has historically manufactured Vampire -> Gnat -> Marut -> Kiran -> Jaguar -> currently Hawk. The old Kiran lines was converted to an additional Tejas line @ 3 per year.

Above comprise first line (Tejas Division + Aircraft Division)

A brand new line was approved by CCS in 2017 at Nekkundi that will manufacture 8 per year.

http://idrw.org/ccs-clears-3rd-producti ... lca-tejas/

Personally I would prefer HAL lets go of the Hawk and focuses on only Tejas with Tejas Division increased from 5 to 8 per year, Aircraft Division increased from 3 to 8 per year and Nekkundi at 8 per year leading to cumulative 24 per year required to recapitalize IAF fleet.
We are having this discussion like 3rd or forth time now. I had posted this same thing in the 1st round, but from other source. But some other sources later have come up with info that the second line (for which GOI approved funds) is coming up in the hanger where Hawks were being produced. So we have first line in Tejas Hanger, a sub-line in Kiran Hanger and 2nd full line in Hawk hanger, if you believe that info. May be HAL changed plans. I tried to find anything related to HAL coming up with new facility, but could not find any other reference, than these 2-3 news items, one of which you posted. Whereas you can find multiple references for new Thumkur facility that HAL is building, even its environmental clearance certificate in available online for example.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

^^ Jay, as per information shared by journalist M Anantha Krishna, who was ex Public Relationship Officer at HAL, the newest line of 8 is not the Hawk Line, but another greenfield project supposed to come up at Doddanekundi across Old Airport Road where the HAL New Management Academy is.

The area in Google Maps shows open land unlike the highly crowded neighboring Marathahalli.

How they move Tejas across a very crowded Old Airport Road is another question, ofcourse.

My take as stated earlier was to finish Hawk assembly quickly, transfer jigs & other equipment for maintenance to the IAF 5 BRD at Sulur, Coimbatore already managing Jaguars and common Adour engines, and go full stream on the Tejas

Srai - I posted it again. Hopefully they publish it now.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

JayS, Ok I was the one who brought it up again.

tsarkar, Thanks for explaining the Tejas mfg situation at HAL.

It boggles my mind that the original Tejas line was 5planes/year.
I kept thinking its 8/year but only 5/year was realized.

What was HAL thinking in fulfilling the contract for 20+20 planes? 8 years?

Where were the earlier Tejas planes produced and what about the LSP set?
On this slow 5/year passenger train?

Some thing is wrong in this story of willful tardiness.

If it was funding why was it not brought up in the numerous interviews given all these years?
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

ArjunPandit wrote:
The one's that my company's fabrication shops have are reserved for either very complex parts or part consolidation. Meaning an intricate part or sub assembly that is made with 20 parts made on slow speed CNC machines can be made as one single part on high speed CNCs with acceptable machine times/cost. This capability could reduce the total number of parts needed to assemble an LCA by 5 to 30%.

These are very popular with Aerospace companies because they primarily work with Aluminum and it's alloys. These high speed machines allow milling at speeds that are much higher than what is possible or limited by chatter issues on conventional CNCS. I think they play with resonant frequency of part and machine combined.

Another interesting facts that is always thrown at you, if they want you to take your job to conventional machines, is that anything that can be done on high speed CNCs can be done on conventional machines it just takes days instead of hours. Which translates and unaffordable costs for manufacturing operations.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

^^Thanks sir, this is very helpful
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Any part with new manufacturing technique may require it to be re-qualified. This tender could just be for increasing production capacity for an existing part.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Possible but doesn't make sense to buy this fancy high speed machine and use it as conventional CNC. High speed is paired with shallow cuts so you don't really gain much in throughput if you are making simple parts. But your point about recertification is also valid, not sure how much experience HAL has in doing recertification of parts but isn't this the whole point about having domestically designed aircraft? Our ability to change/upgrade continuously. Usually there are significant weight savings are also associated with part consolidation so who knows what they are aiming for........
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The RFQ is for a 5 axis CNC gantry type profiler. Used for machining longerons and other structural components from Al alloys.

However the tender description is so rigid they probably have a machine in mind.

Why cant they just buy it and get some qty discount?

Machines like this are rare and made by less than half a dozen suppliers in the world.

I would buy one and put an option for another in next 3 years.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

HAL uses 5-Axis CNC machineS. In fact they have entire "centerS": http://www.hal-india.com/Product_Detail ... y=&CKey=57
Aerospace Composites Division (erstwhile Composites Manufacturing Division) was conceived as early as the dates of design of Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) & Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) and having experience in manufacturing and realizing aircraft structures made of composites. Over the years the scope and role of the facility was defined, refined from Advanced Composites Shop to Centre of Excellence. The Division became fully functional as Composites Manufacturing Division from April 2007 as a Strategic Business Unit (SBU) of HAL.

Currently, the Division is manufacturing the composite structural parts for Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH), Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Light Combat Helicopter (LCH), Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) and PSLV/GSLV.

The Division is equipped with modern infrastructure in Plant and Equipment like Environmental Control Area of various Classes , -18 degC Cold Stores, Autoclaves, High precision 5-Axis CNC Machining Centers, Automated Ply Cutting Machines, Surface Enhancement Machine (Shot Peening ), Hot Platen Presses, Computer Controlled Air Circulating Ovens, Laser Projection Systems for Lay –up, CT-Scan ,Ultrasonic C-Scan, Coordinate Measuring Machines, Universal Testing Machines and material test laboratory for composite material testing.

With average production rates of several thousand composite parts annually for many of our products, Aerospace Composites Division is one of the top, high volume producers of advanced composite aerospace products in the country.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Ramana-ji: The youtube video is more than likely "the" machine they have in mind...

And there are a number of 5-axis machining systems ---> http://www.snkamerica.com/5-axis-machining-centers.php

And this tender by HAL is a good thing. Invest in machinery like this to achieve QC.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

I would like Katare to weigh in on the above, since he is our resident CNC SME.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/ ... rshal.html
Don't bother clicking on the link above. Your browser may freeze. Waste of your time. Article has been reproduced below.

Indigenisation will help forces, says Air Marshal
(Deccan Chronicle, 06 Feb 2018)

With indigenisation of the defence industry, a large part of government’s revenue can be saved and equipment can be procured in lesser time, said Air Marshal Sanjay Sharma, Ati Vishist Sewa Medal (AVSM), AOC Maintenance, here on Monday. “We have started the process of indigenisation with nuts, bolts and recently with tyres, tubes and batteries. Now, we are on the path to indigenise sensors,” he said at a seminar on “Indigenisation of the Indian Air Force aviation requirements”, organised by FKCCI and PHD Chamber. More than 47,000 lines of spares for maintenance of IAF aircraft have been indigenised and over 1,700 items have been identified for indigenisation in the coming years with 70 to be included this year itself.

HAL Chairman Suvarna Raju said that indigenisation will not only give a boost to employment, but will also be good for geo-strategic stability. “HAL will support Indian industries by transferring technologies it has developed. There is enough space for the industry to coexist with HAL,” he said, and encouraged private industries to come forward. In 2016, for the first time the indigenously built Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Tejas, was flown on Republic day. Stating that Bengaluru will soon become defence capital, Mr K. Ravi, president, Karnataka Chambers of Commerce and Industries, said that Karnataka is the only state with an aviation policy and has the ecosystem to integrate the industry into a holistic might. It was emphasised at the seminar that medium and small-scale industries (MSMEs) are the pillars of support to indigenous development of equipment to the armed forces and bureaucratic procedures should not become a hindrance.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rakesh The tender calls for CNC profiler to machine longerons which are an aircraft structural component. The Youtube video is for a CNC milling machine.
In generic terms its also called 5 axis gantry machine.
The problem with regular machining of long structural parts is the material is already in heat treated condition and when the machine starts taking cuts the material internal stresses which are locked up due to the surface heat treatment will relieve themselves and cause distortion.

So a 5axis gantry type CNC can take gradual equal cuts on both sides without stress relief distortion of the parts!

Anyway glad that HAL is moving up the chain.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

I am thoroughly confused after reading all of the posts of the Tejas lines.

We currently have only one confirmed line of 5 capacity? And another line for 8 only after we are done with the Hawk?

Is that correct?

I hope I am just confused. I really just want to know if we had everything in place for 16 in 2019. I will be happy with that onlee.

Tsarkar ji?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

chola wrote:I am thoroughly confused after reading all of the posts of the Tejas lines.

We currently have only one confirmed line of 5 capacity? And another line for 8 only after we are done with the Hawk?

Is that correct?

I hope I am just confused. I really just want to know if we had everything in place for 16 in 2019. I will be happy with that onlee.

Tsarkar ji?
No. The original line is 5/year. Tejas Division. Confirmed
Then comes half line in the Hawk hangar at 3/year. Aircraft Division. Confirmed SP5 from this line ready....

Total 8/year as of now in 2018. Confirmed

The third line is a greenfield line at 8/year at Nekkundi .

About Rs. 1350 crores funded and line ready 36 months after funds received.

Will be open in 2019.

Looks like the original decision to fund 5/year for the Tejas Division was pi** poor and symptomatic of the trickle down economics.

There is no rational answer for this. As it would have taken 8 years to deliver the first 40 planes.

Would be good to find out its history?
What was asked?
How much was funded? and When?
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

^^^ Okay, 8 for 2018 from first two lines.
The third line is a greenfield line at 8/year at Nekkundi .

A brand new line was approved by CCS in 2017 at Nekkundi that will manufacture 8 per year
Is that two new lines at Nekkundi or just one?

Thanks!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Only one at Nekkundi.

tsarkar says why not transfer the Hawk tooling to IAF BRD and build more Tejas in that space.

But HAL has HAWK dreams.
chola
BRF Oldie

Post by chola »

Okay 16 by 2019, I am happy enough. We are looking to export the Advanced Hawk no? We would want to keep capacity just in case of sales I imagine.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Ok I read the CAG report on 2015 on the Tejas.
Looks like trickle down funding at grossly low rates
First 20 Aircraft was about 130 crores/plane
Second 20 is more realistic at 299 crores/plane

The Parliamentary answer in 2013 talks about funding HAL at Rs 1250 crores with 50% by HAL and 255 by IAF and 25% by IN and thus doubling capacity. And this was released only in 2015 or 2016!!!

So all along the idea was 5+3 in the original line.

CAG auditors is quite pompous and wants to blame HAL for everything while they are not design cog!!!
Over weight blame HAL
Late delivery blame HAL.
ignores that they are a build to print mfg.
ignores CCS approves in principle and doesn't bother releasing funds/
Meanwhile costs go up and back to triplicate application.

All in all Edukondala vada is taking care.

I think IAF Vice Chief of Staff should have monthly meeting with HAL/DRDO/ADA and IDAS program mgr. and every issue addressed.

Even one day meeting and full blown review every three months till FOC planes are complete.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

ramana wrote: Anyway glad that HAL is moving up the chain.
I hope "moving up the chain" does not involve the import of China made 5 axis CNC musheins
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

chola wrote:Okay 16 by 2019, I am happy enough. Are we looking to export the Advanced Hawk no? We would want to keep capacity just in case of sales I imagine.
HAL Chairman has stated the capacity can be 25/year with all of the 80% outsourcing of major subassemblies. More space will be freed up on the assembly lines.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Mango alert: if we run the production with FOC LCA version till MK1A is ready and run MK1A till MK2 is ready. Can it be done if planned properly with giving lead time to each version??? If we are producing 24 or 16 a year three years from now, by 2030 we will have some 160/240 Ac including what we have and get before the production line reaches 16/24 units capacity. They may not be F22s but I am sure they can beat s&&t out of most of the paki ACs. We will be running Mk2 at that time with AMCA to come out. Am I missing anything?
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

srai wrote:
chola wrote:Okay 16 by 2019, I am happy enough. Are we looking to export the Advanced Hawk no? We would want to keep capacity just in case of sales I imagine.
HAL Chairman has stated the capacity can be 25/year with all of the 80% outsourcing of major subassemblies. More space will be freed up on the assembly lines.
There be dragons or there be scams??

This is how it all begins.

It is an open license for the private players to strip the PSUs of their expensively trained manpower, which they will mercilessly do.

Orchestrate a demand, create a panic, propose an "innocent" solution and voila, the powers that be know exactly what to do.