LCA: News & Discussions: 15 August 2017

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Re: LCA: News & Discussions: 15 August 2017

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/957244727471964160 --> Tejas is a designer’s marvel. The Test Pilots and the designers have brought in the best of all fleets across the world. It is an intelligent combination of the best systems in the world.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Drag the picture below into another window of your browser, to see it more clearer.

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/957215264973635584 --> Here are the three Tejas pilots who flew over the Rajpath in a 'Vic' formation during Republic Day flypast.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/957242625223901187 ---> All systems in Tejas run on software. Hence the aircraft speaks to you. It tells you what all it is capable of and what it cannot do. As an engineer, you don't have to break your head.

Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/957222536885936133 --> Intelligent Tejas does the talking; pilots & engineers are not complaining.

Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Yes, LCA is already cleared for R73 (CCM) and Derby (BVR). Talks are on to integrate Astra as well. An alternate CCM to R73 will have to be identified between IAF and ADA. IAF and ADA wanted Python 5, but the aerodynamics do not jive together. Nobody changes a plane for a missile, and the Israelis have dragged their foot on modifying the missile.

Supersonic flights with the IFR will soon be conducted. It can be assumed that the will follow it up with dry contact and finally wet contact.

A decision has to be taken on the gun. It is not the gun, or the aircraft, but something else. Can't talk. FOC is not going to depend on this.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Raman wrote: I wish the discussion had focussed on:
- what is involved in inducting a new platform?
- what has IAF's experience been inducting Tejas vs other aircraft?
- how does a new airframe join the squadron?
- what is the process of creating a syllabus to operationalize a new pilot?
- how did these pilots apply for/qualify for 45 sqn?
- etc. etc.

I think it is possible to get some really useful and insightful information without compromising OPSEC.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/ ... 64203.html
For Gp Capt Madhav Rangachari (Ranga), the first Commanding Officer of Flying Daggers, it has been a very demanding task to set up a new squadron.

Right from sourcing chairs, tables to forming SOPs, broad guidelines and maintenance procedures, to ensuring the availability of planes for his boys to fly, Ranga has probably lost some hair in the last one year.

In addition, he had a huge task to prove that Tejas is an operational platform and no more an ‘air show bird,’ with smoke winders on.

“Tough task I must say, but then we have been trained to be tougher,” says Ranga, who was flying the Mirage 2000s, before moving to Flying Daggers.

His crew has grown to eight pilots, four engineering officers and one logistics man now, in addition to set of ground crew, who play a significant role like the pilots.

“It is planned that the Flying Daggers will be eventually based at Sulur which is near Coimbatore and we hope to move to the new base in the later part of this year. Full-fledged base upgradation activities are on in Sulur and we have to ensure that all facilities are set, before we move out,” he says.

Flying Daggers hope to have a dozen of Tejas Series Production versions in their fleet before they move out of Bengaluru. With six in their kitty, the IAF hopes that Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) will deliver the remaining birds on priority.

“Every new pilot who joins the squadron first goes through a grueling ground training session for several weeks. He then flies on the Tejas simulator followed by sorties on the trainer or two-seater version (PV5 & PV 6) and later they get to fly the Tejas solo. After its developmental flight tests by the National Flight Test Center, the Flying Daggers have started operational training and flying on this aircraft. Our flying and maintenance related inputs as users, are being collated for further design improvements on this aircraft,” says Ranga, who has so far flown over 300 sorties, clocking 200-plus hours.
ashishvikas
BRFite

Post by ashishvikas »

#JustIn | After Singapore Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen, it could be the turn of Gen David L Goldfein, Chief of Staff of @usairforce to fly #Tejas anytime soon. Mil sources also confirm that French AF Chief too lined up for a sortie on #Tejas at Jodhpur on Feb 7.

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/959343552953073664
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

ashishvikas wrote:#JustIn | After Singapore Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen, it could be the turn of Gen David L Goldfein, Chief of Staff of @usairforce to fly #Tejas anytime soon. Mil sources also confirm that French AF Chief too lined up for a sortie on #Tejas at Jodhpur on Feb 7.

https://twitter.com/writetake/status/959343552953073664
I don't see the point of this. Doesn't matter who flies in it if the MoD doesn't cancel the SEF nonsense, sanction adequate funds for the Mk1A and Mk2 and order them in quantity.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

This is all gold nachiket!! Good visibility and buzz is what's missing from LCA as a product. Let firangs see we are catching up so they better stop arm twisting us on technology and price.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Katare wrote:This is all gold nachiket!! Good visibility and buzz is what's missing from LCA as a product. Let firangs see we are catching up so they better stop arm twisting us on technology and price.
The firang arms manufacturers know exactly where we are with the LCA and other programs already. They do not rely on Defence Ministers and chiefs of staff to actually fly in the thing and report back. They always make sure that any technology that we are close to developing ourselves will be dangled in front of us like a carrot with the promise of quick deliveries, something which the local program cannot guarantee.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

Indranil wrote: A decision has to be taken on the gun. It is not the gun, or the aircraft, but something else. Can't talk. FOC is not going to depend on this.
You sound ominous sir?
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

What is the US motivation for this symbolic act? Considering that it might have negative connotations for their own aircraft industry...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Signals support to Indian MII
Also they make the engine and might agree to LCA exports.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

JE Menon wrote:What is the US motivation for this symbolic act? Considering that it might have negative connotations for their own aircraft industry...
What negative connotations? In the past IAF officials flew US aircraft!
It is nuthing more then, let me take your new car for a spin (in my opinion)
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

ArjunPandit wrote:
Indranil wrote: A decision has to be taken on the gun. It is not the gun, or the aircraft, but something else. Can't talk. FOC is not going to depend on this.
You sound ominous sir?
Nothing ominous. Nothing wrong with the plane. Can't talk. IAF is actually quite reasonable about Tejas now.
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

no option but to suffer waiting for the news to break...keeping my hunch to myself. Do not wish nothing but grand success for Tejas
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

You can tell us your hunch, and I can relieve you of your anxiety :D.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

ArjunPandit wrote:no option but to suffer waiting for the news to break...keeping my hunch to myself. Do not wish nothing but grand success for Tejas
Come on mate put us out of our misery!!
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

JE Menon wrote:What is the US motivation for this symbolic act? Considering that it might have negative connotations for their own aircraft industry...
It's a hoary tradition in the style of 1950s NatGeo (when it was called National Geographic and Gilbert Grosvenor was around). White man dons native costume to show solidarity/affinity and ektachromes it homewards. When they disembark, they will say "I feel your plane". :)
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Indranil wrote:
ArjunPandit wrote: You sound ominous sir?
Nothing ominous. Nothing wrong with the plane. Can't talk. IAF is actually quite reasonable about Tejas now.
IAF quite reasonable is good to hear! Any chance of further Mk1/Mk1A orders to keep line flowing without stopping?
ArjunPandit
BRF Oldie

Post by ArjunPandit »

ks_sachin wrote:
ArjunPandit wrote:no option but to suffer waiting for the news to break...keeping my hunch to myself. Do not wish nothing but grand success for Tejas
Come on mate put us out of our misery!!
Not me, indranil sir is your guy, i do not know anything, just nanha mujahid here
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Cybaru wrote: IAF quite reasonable is good to hear! Any chance of further Mk1/Mk1A orders to keep line flowing without stopping?
Come on Cybaru! You know better than to ask such questions. Even if somebody knew, how would they reveal that in public!

As Raha sir said, they will take them. Right now ADA is proposing Mk2s after the 83 Mk1A. HAL is proposing Mk1As all throughout. I prefer the Mk2 route.
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

Our eagerness to see the LCA in numbers and progressive variants makes us ask these questions Indranil..

And keeps the conversation flowing..
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

HAl will get her way. 200-300 Mk1A. IAF will be content.

However, the production does concern me. Do not like this "line"s.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

ks_sachin wrote:Our eagerness to see the LCA in numbers and progressive variants makes us ask these questions Indranil..

And keeps the conversation flowing..
We all are in the same boat. A swadeshi fighter for our swadeshi air force!
sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

https://twitter.com/delhidefence/status ... 4019058688
Delhi Defence Review
‏ @delhidefence
46m46 minutes ago

Visiting @usairforce Chief of Staff, Gen @GenDaveGoldfein undertakes a sortie on the Light Combat Aircraft Tejas, at AFS Jodhpur.
@IAF_MCC
video
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/959681024019058688
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

oy.. .......
how to post youtube video.......... i dont know

in many office twitter is not allowed

this is for them
Last edited by jaysimha on 03 Feb 2018 14:03, edited 2 times in total.
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

as we all know DDM will scratch their itchy b@lls mentioning
"3 decades in making" " Delay" itd... itd..

with out giving due credit to the team / squadron / pilot who made us proud today.

I think this the same pilot who flew with the visiting dignitary..

http://www.pib.nic.in/newsite/photorigh ... phid=99077
old one

kudos to Air Vice Marshal A.P. Singh. It must be really great..
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

This is great, hope we buildup on this newly found confidence.

btw, what was the spray that they did on their shoe sole before they went in for the flight.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The confidence of the IAF grows by the day in the product. Nothing can be better then that.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

jaysimha wrote:oy.. .......
how to post youtube video.......... i dont know

in many office twitter is not allowed

this is for them
If you have a gmail id you get a Youtube account automatically by logging in to Google and opening YouTube
jaysimha
BRFite

Post by jaysimha »

Thanks sirji.. will try..

Let's Face It, The USAF Is Serious About Buying a Light Attack Aircraft after seeing LCA TEjas

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18 ... k-aircraft

US air chief may be doing this in mind as well.

Can I safely assume that next Tejas will fly to US in near future for some sort of joint exercise / demo of capabilities.

ache din from today for tejas team..

ba. ba. ache din ane wala he.. :D
nam
BRF Oldie

Post by nam »

Personally we should sell LCA to US even if they want it.dont trust HAL to provide any product support whatsoever and drag our nation's reputation in to mud.

They better fulfill IAF orders.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Sid wrote:
This is great, hope we buildup on this newly found confidence.

btw, what was the spray that they did on their shoe sole before they went in for the flight.
No Spray. they checked the shoe sole for dirt in the mirror & then rubbed it on the mat to scrub off dirt
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

The good part is the two seaters are Prototype Vehicles but still there is ample confidence to fly dignitaries. Obviously the US chap is soaking up its capabilities and any minute gaps will be bloated into their F-16/F/A-18 proposals. It wasn't a good idea to fly USAF chap.
yensoy
BRF Oldie

Post by yensoy »

Interesting that this is in Jodhpur. I thought the LCAs were based in Sulur, Tanjore or otherwise near Bengaluru. Is there a plan or have they already been positioned in the North/West? Or is this a one-off?
tsarkar wrote:The good part is the two seaters are Prototype Vehicles but still there is ample confidence to fly dignitaries. Obviously the US chap is soaking up its capabilities and any minute gaps will be bloated into their F-16/F/A-18 proposals. It wasn't a good idea to fly USAF chap.
What the US will learn from this flight is the basic handling of the aircraft. They wouldn't have done any extreme maneuvers, nor would there have been a demonstration or inspection of the weaponry or electronics in place (apart from navigation electronics which are probably standard). So no worries, nothing lost here.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

jaysimha wrote:Thanks sirji.. will try..

Let's Face It, The USAF Is Serious About Buying a Light Attack Aircraft after seeing LCA TEjas

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18 ... k-aircraft

US air chief may be doing this in mind as well.

Can I safely assume that next Tejas will fly to US in near future for some sort of joint exercise / demo of capabilities.

ache din from today for tejas team..

ba. ba. ache din ane wala he.. :D
The title of the original article.

Let's Face It, The USAF Is Isn't Serious About Buying a Light Attack Aircraft

I doubt the USAF is interested in inducting a new, general purpose, light craft. Certainly not a 4th gen one.

All these sorties are more to acknowledge India's rise on the world platform. Mostly as an economic power.

I would wait until mid April to actually see what Mr. Stable Genius thinks.
Rishi_Tri
BRFite

Post by Rishi_Tri »

USAF Chief would have been confident about one thing - The engine wont flame out (being GE one) . :) I don't mind some good PR exercise for our bird.

Wonder how far has MK2 progressed. In all likelihood it may come about as the only worthy single engined competition to F35. Are we looking to build in some stealth characteristics into the AC? If F35 and Mirage 2000-5 were to celebrate together, MK2 may be the perfect offspring. :) Pardon my vanity.
brar_w
BRF Oldie

Post by brar_w »

In all likelihood it may come about as the only worthy single engined competition to F35
The Gripen E/F is in that space and already has secured an export customer with confirmed orders.