Terroristan - 29 September 2017

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Re: Terroristan - 29 September 2017

Post by SSridhar »

Peregrine wrote:Seven ways India can rescue Pakistan
Next is understanding the root cause of the hostility of the Pakistani state. Pakistan is not a failing or failed state," said Shankar Aiyar, arguing that it is precisely this need to impose unity on a divided, fragmenting nation that makes the state authoritarian. But to maintain it's authority, it needs an 'other,' and that 'other' is India. "The consequence of a failing Pakistan is a state that would attack the 'other' to save its own nation."
Of course, I am a little apprehensive that responding to Mr. Aiyar would also make the responder to be seen by a general observer as having stooped to that same level. That would be dreadful. Nonetheless, I am at a loss regarding the current status of Terroristan in Mr. Aiyar's view, namely is it a failed, failing or a thriving state.

He starts with the premise that it is not a 'failed' or even a 'failing' state (may be just a flailing state, in his opinion). But, per his definition, the 'consequences of a failing Pakistan' would be to attack India. That's where my confusion comes from. Does he mean that Pakistan has so far not attacked India? If he answers 'yes', then he is exhibiting 'a significant loss of brain cells' needing immediate medical attention. If he answers 'no' then he is committing blasphemy for violating "Mani Shankar Aiyar's Edict" namely that Pakistan is not failing because only a failing Pakistan would attack India.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

why would a failing state attack more powerful state? Shouldnt a war be waged on perceived position of strength or thrust upon? All wars except 71 pak started on their perceived position of strength. They had no choice in 71 but to open another front to save east pak. I don't believe failing pak will risk going further down by starting a war. Exodus of pakis is a real threat than war.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

abhijitm wrote:why would a failing state attack more powerful state? Shouldnt a war be waged on perceived position of strength or thrust upon? All wars except 71 pak started on their perceived position of strength. They had no choice in 71 but to open another front to save east pak. I don't believe failing pak will risk going further down by starting a war. Exodus of pakis is a real threat than war.
You are trying to apply rational logic and common sense here. None of which applies to MSA and his ilk.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Pathik wrote:
Pathik wrote:Notice how list of bumm blast victims is given as list of bum blast onlee on the letter. wont be surprised if that list longer than a victim list
Pathik Ji :
Sir Ji one can neither appreciate nor accuse the Terroristani of being "Truthful" about their Honesty in Losing Wars or the Terroristanis numbers killed in Terrorism carried out by their own Armed, Bred, Supported and Trained etc., etc. & etc. Terrorists . I am not sure if they are even capable of ever changing these habits of their demented lives.
Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Peregrine wrote:The ticking population bomb

Pakistan is now the world’s fifth most populous country with a population of 207 million, depicting a 2.4% annual growth since 1998. Seemingly, the country’s family planning approach has failed to create a serious dent in the population growth. Many blame ‘deep-rooted religious beliefs’ and cultural impediments. But apparently that’s not true.
Note : Terroristan's Real Population Figure : Pakistan unable to control population growth despite huge spending - Muzammil Ferozi Daily Times 11-07-17 Cheers Image
Prem wrote:We have been calculating Pokluation for almost 2 decades. Nafri is some where between 260-280 Millions and growth rate is not 2.4 but over 3 %. we will have more than 500 million Paki by 2040 and such Paki achievement will coincide with India completing desired dam network in North and interlinking of rivers all over India.
Prem Ji :
I fervently Pray to the Almighty who has thus far blessed Terroristan with His Powers of Creation and Preservation to now Invoke his Powers of DESTRUCTION on this - His Created Abomination of Nation - I mean Terroristan by 2040, if not earlier, which is totally unfit of continuation in the Lord's Created Humankind.
Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

anupmisra wrote:
Peregrine wrote:On one hand:
Given the nature of Sino-Pak relations, Pakistan would not risk snubbing Beijing. In the recent past, Pakistan has accepted Chinese funds for several other dam-related projects.

However, on the other hand:
Pakistan has cited tough conditions by Chinese companies as reason for rejecting the offer of help in the dam project.
anupmisra wrote:The above two positions do not jive. Were the conditions for investments in the other dams not the same as the Diamer-Bhasha dam? Something else happened that forced the chini investment to pull back from the Diamer-Bhasha dam project.
anupmisra Ji :
Sir Ji. I think it has more to do with "India's Protest" about the "Illegally" held POK.

Cheers Image
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Bart S wrote:
abhijitm wrote:why would a failing state attack more powerful state? Shouldnt a war be waged on perceived position of strength or thrust upon? All wars except 71 pak started on their perceived position of strength. They had no choice in 71 but to open another front to save east pak. I don't believe failing pak will risk going further down by starting a war. Exodus of pakis is a real threat than war.
You are trying to apply rational logic and common sense here. None of which applies to MSA and his ilk.
the question itself is even more fundamental.

"Seven ways India can rescue Pakistan",

WTF would India do such a foolish thing?? we, as a civilization, have been at continuous loggerheads with this evil incarnate abomination for centuries now and just when its heading down the crapper all by its lonesome self, we should go and save it??

why?? do we have such a strong death wish??
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Bart S wrote:
This is the position of the kandle kissing lobby in India with MSA leading the track thoo pack.

all dressed up and no place to go :mrgreen:

abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

by 2030 pakis will be 450 to 500m. All cramped on eastern side of it. closer to our border.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

Go Trump.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-new ... yVGeN.html
American lawmakers have decided not to press for tying certain financial aid for Pakistan to counter-terrorism measures against the Lashkar-e-Taiba, as was proposed by the Senate in an omnibus legislation it passed to fund the US military in 2018, because of resistance from the US defense department.

The provision was dropped from a legislation the two chambers agreed to on Wednesday through a process called conference — meant to reconcile differing versions of a bill passed by the Senate and the House of Representatives. The legislation will now be put to a vote for passage, which is guaranteed in such circumstances.
done for this

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-paki ... SKBN1DM14G
A Pakistani court on Wednesday ordered the release from house arrest of an Islamist leader accused by the United States and India of masterminding attacks on the Indian city of Mumbai in 2008 in which 166 people were killed, a prosecutor said.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Peregrine wrote:The seven steps Shankar Aiyar outlined include the following. One, return to the Musharraf / Manmohan Singh proposal to create a borderless Kashmir -- where the LOC is rendered irrelevant – as a precursor to a borderless subcontinent. Two, agree to maintain "uninterrupted and uninterruptable dialogue" that will remain unbroken and regular, irrespective of terrorist attacks or any other calamity. Three, introduce a visa regime similar to Nepal and remove all restrictions of pilgrimages. As Hoodbhoy agreed, the isolation of the two peoples strengthen the constituencies of hate.

The fourth remedy is to ensure a full and free media exchange, including and not limited to movies, TV channels and newspapers. Five, an open investment regime without any barriers to trade. Six and seven involve standing together on the international stage to push for the expansion of the UN Security Council and launch a joint initiative for global nuclear disarmament.
Cheers Image
Pathik wrote:how did MSA not mention removal of Modi as a starting point, baffling.
Parthik Ji :

Senility? Alzheimer’s?
Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Peregrine wrote:Seven ways India can rescue Pakistan

Cheers Image
chetak wrote:It begs a much deeper investigation as to who is the actual progenitor of the MMS musharaff "peace" plan being touted by the commies and liberals. Their divisive agenda is shadow bound and unclear but it is not in India's interest to even consider such motivated proposals. The very minute borders are opened, India loses forever any control it had over the cashmere situation and the jehadis would have achieved what they can never achieve by force of arms, the vital freedom and capability of uninterrupted and uninterruptable demographic change. that the eyetalian is mixed up in all this goes without saying.
chetak Ji :
I agree. However, it is “alleged” that the above eyetalian’s Mother’s husband was at war fighting with the “MUSSOLINI FASCISTAS” and a German Army Group was camped in the Village. Thus the Blue Eyes!
why would any country, especially one as strong as India, foolishly agree to continue talks even in the face of continued vicious terrorist attacks from the very country that it is "negotiating and talking" with??

All such attacks are only designed to nudge the talks in a particular and specific desired direction with pre set results and binding conditions and this unprincipled coercion should be acceptable to India??

blitzkrieg of goodwill?? and that too, one sided and ONLY from India?? Sounds like a new name for diplomatic diarrhea and national suicide or death by excessive and compulsive cooperation.I

The pakis are now suffering from an information deficit that they never had to contend with before as our plans and negotiating positions were deliberately leaked to them via traitorous kandle kissers and their lootyens cocktail circuit cohorts obtained from greedy, tame and aspiring baboo(n)s from concerned govt departments.
Sir Ji, All these four items are demanded by the Cantabrigian ignoramus who wants to have Continuous and Uninterrupted Istiqlal in his Istiqbaal – or possibly Istiqbaal in his Istiqlal - Continuously and Uninterruptedly. I hope you are aware of his Chinese “affiliation” whilst at Cambridge University wherein he collected Funds for China when China attacked India in 1962. I feel that the Chinese have “passed him on” to the Terroristanis and as such he is totally supporting the Terroristanis’ Desires and Wishes as seeming they are pulling his strings.
gift wrapped johnnie walker in various hues, as befitting the status of baboo(n) is the preferred currency.
Why Waste even the Red Label on him! A Kick from a Steel Capped Toe Boot would do nicely!
Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

SSridhar wrote:Of course, I am a little apprehensive that responding to Mr. Aiyar would also make the responder to be seen by a general observer as having stooped to that same level. That would be dreadful. Nonetheless, I am at a loss regarding the current status of Terroristan in Mr. Aiyar's view, namely is it a failed, failing or a thriving state.

He starts with the premise that it is not a 'failed' or even a 'failing' state (may be just a flailing state, in his opinion). But, per his definition, the 'consequences of a failing Pakistan' would be to attack India. That's where my confusion comes from. Does he mean that Pakistan has so far not attacked India? If he answers 'yes', then he is exhibiting 'a significant loss of brain cells' needing immediate medical attention. If he answers 'no' then he is committing blasphemy for violating "Mani Shankar Aiyar's Edict" namely that Pakistan is not failing because only a failing Pakistan would attack India.
SSridhar Ji :

I draw you attention to his Cantabrigian shenanigans and his post of Second or Third Secretary in the Indian Consulate at Karachi. I have mentioned in a previous post I feel that the Chinese have passed him on to the Terroristanis and as such he is totally supporting the Terroristanis’ Desires and Wishes as seemingly they are pulling his strings.

Cheers Image
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

MSA is idiot!!

Give Peace a Chance!!! Destroy Bakistan aka Pakistan aka Terroristan!
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

^ And throw the mumbling dotard under a tank while you are at it..
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Islamic schools in Pakistan plagued by sex abuse of children

KEHRORE PAKKA: Kausar Parveen struggles through tears as she remembers the blood-soaked pants of her 9-year-old son, raped by a religious cleric. Each time she begins to speak, she stops, swallows hard, wipes her tears and begins again.

The boy had studied for a year at a nearby Islamic school in the town of Kehrore Pakka. In the blistering heat of late April, in the grimy two-room Islamic madrassa, he awoke one night to find his teacher lying beside him.

"I didn't move. I was afraid," he says.

The cleric lifted the boy's long tunic-style shirt over his head, and then pulled down his baggy pants.

"I was crying. He was hurting me. He shoved my shirt in my mouth," the boy says, using his scarf to show how the cleric tried to stifle his cries. He looks over at his mother.

"Did he touch you?"' He nods. "Did he hurt you when he touched you?" "Yes," he whispers.

"Did he rape you?" He buries his face in his scarf and nods yes.

Parveen reaches over and grabs her son, pulling him toward her, cradling his head in her lap.

"Infested" with sexual abuse

Sexual abuse is a pervasive and longstanding problem at madrassas in Pakistan, an AP investigation has found, from the sunbaked mud villages deep in its rural areas to the heart of its teeming cities. But in a culture where clerics are powerful and sexual abuse is a taboo subject, it is seldom discussed or even acknowledged in public.

It is even more seldom prosecuted. Police are often paid off not to pursue justice against clerics, victims' families say. And cases rarely make it past the courts, because Pakistan's legal system allows the victim's family to "forgive" the offender and accept what is often referred to as "blood money."

The AP found hundreds of cases of sexual abuse by clerics reported in the past decade, and officials suspect there are many more within a far-reaching system that teaches at least 2 million children in Pakistan. The investigation was based on police documents and dozens of interviews with victims, relatives, former and current ministers, aid groups and religious officials.

The fear of clerics and the militant religious organizations that sometimes support them came through clearly. One senior official in a ministry tasked with registering these cases says many madrassas are "infested" with sexual abuse. The official asked to remain anonymous for fear of retribution; he has been a target of suicide attacks because of his hard position against militant groups.

He compares the situation to the abuse of children by priests in the Catholic Church.

"There are thousands of incidences of sexual abuse in the madrassas," he says. "This thing is very common, that this is happening."

Pakistan's clerics close ranks when the madrassa system is too closely scrutinized, he says. Among the weapons they use to frighten their critics is a controversial blasphemy law that carries a death penalty in the case of a conviction.

"This is not a small thing here in Pakistan — I am scared of them and what they can do," the official says. "I am not sure what it will take to expose the extent of it. It's very dangerous to even try."

His assessment was echoed by another senior official, a former minister who says sexual abuse in madrassas happens all the time. He also doesn't want his name used because he too has survived suicide bombings due to his stance on militants.

"That's a very dangerous topic," he says.

A tally of cases reported in newspapers over the past 10 years of sexual abuse by maulvis or clerics and other religious officials came to 359. That represents "barely the tip of the iceberg," says Munizae Bano, executive director of Sahil, the organization that scours the newspapers and works against sexual abuse of minors.

In 2004, a Pakistani official disclosed more than 500 complaints of sexual assaults against young boys in madrassas. He has since refused to talk, and there have been no significant arrests or prosecutions.

Religious Affairs Minister Sardar Muhammad Yousaf dismisses the suggestion that sexual abuse is widespread, saying such talk is an attempt to malign the religion, seminaries and clerics. He says he was not aware of even the cases reported in the newspapers, but that it could occur occasionally `because there are criminals everywhere." Yousaf says the reform and control of madrassas is the job of the interior ministry.

The Interior Ministry, which oversees madrassas, refused repeated written and telephone requests for an interview.

The case of Parveen's son was one of at least three within a month in the towns of Kehrore Pakka and Rajanpur in Punjab province's deep south, according to police reports. Another incident involved the drugging and gang rape of a 12-year-old boy asleep on his madrassa rooftop by former students. And the third was of a 10-year-old boy sodomized by the madrassa principal when he brought him his meal. The cleric threatened to kill the boy if he told.

The AP is not naming the children because they are victims of sexual abuse.

The fear of clerics was evident at the courthouse in Kehrore Pakka, where the former teacher of Parveen's son waited his turn to go before a judge. A half dozen members of the radical Sunni militant organization Sipah-e-Sahabah were there to support the teacher.

They scowled and moved closer when an AP reporter sat next to the teacher, who was shackled to a half dozen other prisoners. The whispers grew louder and more insistent.

"It's too dangerous here," said one person, looking over at the militants nearby. "Leave. Leave the courthouse, they can do anything here."

The teacher had already confessed, according to police, and the police report said he was found with the boy. Yet he swore his innocence in court.

"I am married," he said. "My wife is pretty, why would I do this to a kid?"

How madrassas work

There are more than 22,000 registered madrassas or Islamic schools in Pakistan. The students they teach are often among the country's poorest, who receive food and an education for free.

Many more madrassas — small two- or three-room seminaries in villages throughout Pakistan — are unregistered, opened by a graduate of another madrassa, often without any education other than a proficiency in the Quran. They operate without scrutiny, ignored by the authorities, say residents living nearby. Parveen's son, for example, went to an unregistered madrassa.

Madrassas are funded by wealthy business people, religious political parties and even donors from other countries, such as Saudi Arabia. The teachings of the madrassas are guided by schools of Islamic thought, such as Shiite and Sunni.

However, unlike the Catholic Church, which has a clear hierarchy topped by the Vatican, there is no central religious authority that governs madrassas. There is also no central body that investigates or responds to allegations in religious schools.

"Basic responsibility, when something happens, is with the head of the madrassa," says Mufti Mohammed Naeem, the head of the sprawling Jamia Binoria madrassa in the city of Karachi.

There are between 2,000 and 3,000 unregistered madrassas, Naeem says, which makes central oversight even harder. The government has launched a nationwide effort to register madrassas.

The "keepers" of madrassas are also notoriously reluctant to accept government oversight or embrace reforms, according to IA Rehman of the independent Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, which makes sexual abuse harder to prevent.

"This is one of those things, you know, which everybody knows is going on and happening, but evidence is very scarce," he says. He adds that the power of the people who run the madrassas has increased over the years.

As the religious right has grown stronger in Pakistan, clerics who were once dependent on village leaders for handouts, even food, have risen in stature. With this rise, reporting of sexual abuse in madrassas has trickled off, said human rights lawyer Saif-ul Mulk. Mulk has police protection because of death threats from militants outraged by his defense of a Christian woman sentenced to death for insulting Islam.

"Everyone is so afraid of the mullahs today," he says.

Police help the mullah

The fear that surrounds sexual abuse by clerics means that justice is rare. The payoff from offending mullahs to police means that they often refuse to even register a case, says Azam Hussain, a union councilor in Kehrore Pakka. And the families involved are often poor and powerless.

"Poor people are afraid, so they don't say anything," Hussain says. "Police help the mullah. Police don't help the poor. ... Poor people know this, so they don't even go to the police."

This is particularly true in Punjab, Pakistan's largest province, where more than 60 percent of its 200 million people live. Even Pakistan's own Punjab provincial anti-corruption department in a 2014 report listed the Punjab police as the province's most corrupt department. Police say they investigate when a complaint is made, but they have no authority to take a case forward when the family accepts money, which often happens.

The family of a boy who says he was repeatedly assaulted sexually by a cleric in a Punjab madrassa talks about their tussle with police.

The boy isn't sure of his age. Maybe 10 or 11, he says. His voice is barely a whisper, his head bent low as he talked. He is surrounded by two dozen villagers and relatives, all men, all angry.

He says the cleric threatened him with death if he told anyone.

"I was ashamed and I was scared," he says. "He told me if I told anyone, my brother, my family, he would kill all my family and he would kill me."

He says he begged the cleric to leave him alone. Once, the cleric even swore on the Quran that he would stop, but still returned.

In August, when the boy was home, the thought of returning to his madrassa became too much. He pleaded with his older brother not to send him back. But his brother beat him and told him to go back.

The brother, who would only give his first name as Maqsood, looks anguished. "I didn't know," he says. Their elderly uncle, who looks near tears, covers his face and tries not to look in the boy's direction.

The boy says another student at his seminary was assaulted by the same cleric. But police released the cleric after senior Punjab government officials intervened on his behalf, according to Maqsood.

Demonstrations by villagers forced the cleric's re-arrest. Still, Maqsood says, when he went to the police, his honesty was questioned.

"The maulvi was sitting in the chair like he was the boss, and I was told to stay standing," he says. "We are being pressured to compromise. ... We are poor people."

Local police deny charges that they favored the cleric or intimidated the family. They say they have consulted a local Islamic scholar about the rape allegations, and that the madrassa has not come to their attention previously for any wrongdoing.

"We need witnesses, evidence," says Sajjad Mohammed Khan, Vehari's deputy superintendent of police for organized crime.

The top police officer in the district center of Multan, Deputy Inspector General Police Sultan Azam Temuri, also denies that pressure from clerics or powerful politicians prompts police to go easy in such cases. He says cases are investigated when allegations are made. Temuri says his department is trying to tackle child abuse in general with the introduction of gender and child protection services.

The madrassa where Maqsood's brother went, with more than 250 students, has a reputation in the neighborhood for abuse. Two women with their heads covered hurry past, stopping briefly to warn a young Pakistani woman, "Don't bring your children to that madrassa. It is very bad what they do to the children there."

A sign for the madrassa is emblazoned with the flag of a Taliban-affiliated group. After persistent knocking, a blind maulvi, Mohammed Nadeem, led by a young student, agrees to speak. He denies that any abuse takes place inside the madrassa.

"Blood money"

Victims and their families can choose to "forgive" an assailant because Pakistan's legal system is a mix of British Common Law and Islamic Shariah law.

A similar legal provision was changed last year to prevent forgiveness of "honor" killings, where victims are murdered because they are thought to have brought shame on their families. Honor killings now carry a mandatory sentence of life in prison, but clerics in sexual abuse cases can still be forgiven.

Sahil, the organization that scours newspapers for cases of sexual assault, offers families legal aid to pursue such cases. Last year, Sahil found 56 cases of sexual assault involving religious clerics. None of the families accepted Sahil's offer of legal assistance.

In cases that are pursued, convictions do occasionally happen.

In south Punjab, a cleric was convicted of sexually assaulting a minor girl in 2016 and sentenced to 12 years in prison and the equivalent of a $1,500 fine. The same cleric had in the past managed to get several families to settle over sexual abuse cases because of his close links to religious extremist groups, said local officials. This time, a local activist group known as Roshan Pakistan, or Bright Pakistan, persuaded the family of the young girl to resist.

Far more often, the family gives in, as in the case of a 9-year-old girl who was raped by the maulvi of the unregistered madrassa she attended, according to a police report.

Her uncle, Mohammed Azam, points across a field to the madrassa, surrounded by a high wall. The girl started working two years ago, at 7, and her only schooling was in the Quran. She spent the rest of the day sitting cross-legged on a mud floor inside a swelteringly hot room sewing the traditional shalwar kameez.

Last July, a cleric "forcibly took her shalwar off and started molesting her," according to the police report obtained by the AP. She screamed. Two men heard her screams and stormed into the room, and found the cleric attacking her. Seeing them, the cleric fled, and the men took the bleeding girl home, the report said.

"We would hear that these kinds of things happen, children raped in the madrassas, but you never know until it happens to your family," says Azam, her uncle.

Yet the family settled the case out of court. He refused to say how much money they got, but neighbors say it was around $800.

"The family took money to not speak about it," says Rana Mohammed Jamal, an elderly neighbor. He says he believes abuses occurred predominantly in the small madrassas that spring up in poor neighborhoods, "where it is just the mullah and no one can say who he is, and he can do anything."

Parveen, the mother of the 9-year-old boy who says he was raped by his teacher in Kehrore Pakka, vowed that she would never give in to intimidation. But relatives and neighbors say the family was hounded by religious militants to drop the charges and take money.

In the end, the mother "forgave" the cleric and accepted $300, according to police.

The cleric was set free.

Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

X Posted on the PESW Thread

Here we go again!

Amid declining reserves, Pakistan set to start borrowing journey

ISLAMABAD: After a little over a year, Pakistan will today (Wednesday) hold road shows in the Middle East and the United States as it looks to borrow up to $3 billion by floating Islamic and conventional bonds.

The country, currently suffering from declining foreign exchange reserves, wants to finalise the bond issue on November 29 in New York.

The government is trying to tap the international debt markets at a time when there is excess liquidity and the benchmark interest rates are not too high. However, there is more domestic political uncertainty compared to September 2016, the last time Pakistan approached international markets for the bond issue. Former prime minister Nawaz Sharif was still at the helm and government continuity was not being seriously questioned. Also, instead of Finance Minister Ishaq Dar, Dr Miftah Ismail is now leading the Pakistani team.

Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi has picked Ismail who is Special Assistant to PM on Economic Affairs. The other members of the team are Secretary Finance Shahid Mahmood and State Bank of Pakistan Governor Tariq Bajwa.

By choosing Ismail, the premier has indicated his preference amid noise to replace Dar who is facing corruption charges and a process has been initiated by an accountability court to declare him a proclaimed offender.

Pakistan is going to float the bonds in its largest transaction to take pressure off the central bank’s foreign exchange reserves that are depleting at a rapid pace. Earlier, the government borrowed $2 billion in 2014 through similar capital market transactions.

The central bank’s official foreign currency reserves have depleted to $13.6 billion due to mounting trade and debt related payments. The current account deficit widened to over $5 billion during July-October period of this fiscal year – higher by almost 122% over the same period of the last fiscal year.

Last time, Pakistan had floated Sukuk in September 2016 at the lowest interest rate of 5.5% but its September 2015 five-year Eurobond at 8.25% was the most expensive deal.

The road shows would begin from Dubai. The next stopover will be in London and after that the team will leave for the United States, said an official of the finance ministry.

Early this month, the federal cabinet had allowed borrowing of up to $3 billion from international debt markets by floating sovereign bonds and also waived off a dozen taxes to make deals attractive for investors. According to the summary approved by the cabinet, the finance ministry can float multiple bonds in the range of $2 billion to $3 billion.

The government wants to close the deal by November 29.

The government will try to float the bonds at “very optimal pricing” and the volume will also be flexible, depending upon the pricing, said finance ministry sources.

A consortium of banks have initially indicated that five-year Sukuk (Islamic bond), ten-year Eurobond and another 30-year Eurobond with combined proceeds of around $2 to $3 billion can be floated, according to the finance ministry.

The exact size will, however, be determined on the basis of market appetite and pricing, according to the summary signed by the finance secretary.

The government will pitch a minimum $1-billion Sukuk bond of five-year tenor, backed by a section of M3 motorways. It will also float a ten-year Eurobond and issuance of the 30-year bond would depend upon the response of the investors.

It could be for the second time that Pakistan will float a 30-year dollar-denominated Eurobond, but the decision to sell it will depend on the interest rates investors seek. Higher maturity bonds are issued at relatively higher interest rates.

Countries having credit rating like that of Pakistan successfully execute capital market transactions at an interest rate ranging from 6.875% to 7.125%.

Pakistan on Monday signed the legal agreement with a consortium comprising Standard Chartered Bank, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Citibank, Deutsche Bank, Dubai Islamic Bank and Noor Bank for the Sukuk transaction.

It also signed the agreement with Standard Chartered Bank, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Citibank and Deutsche Bank for the Eurobond issue.

Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

China says Pakistan a priority in neighbourhood diplomacy

Jinnah's Terroristan Flag is a "Funny" Shade of Green :(( :rotfl:

Cheers Image
Pathik
BRFite

Post by Pathik »

sudhan wrote:^ And throw the mumbling dotard under a tank while you are at it..
Lets refrain from calling for such actions on the forum knowing the current burqa off status, even though 'ye dil mange more :D
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Pakistan concerned as Bangladesh hands six Jamaat leaders death penalty
The Foreign Office (FO) on Thursday expressed Pakistan's reservations over the death sentences handed to six Jamaat-i-Islami (JI) leaders by Bangladesh's International Crimes Tribunal on Wednesday for committing crimes against humanity during the 1971 war.
According to The Daily Star, the six men were identified as Abu Saleh Muhammad Abdul Aziz Mia, Ruhul Amin, Abu Muslim Muhammad Ali, Abdul Latif, Najmul Huda and Abdur Rahim Mia. Latif is imprisoned, whereas the other five accused are absconding.
The accused were facing charges of looting and killing a Hindu man, killing a Chhatra League leader and killing 13 chairmen and members of five unions, The Daily Star report said, adding that they had been indicted by the tribunal on June 28, 2016.
Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Terroristan's Happy Times Are Here Again, Terroristan is Mortgaging its Roads, Rail Tracks & Air Ports AGAIN

Pakistan borrows another $500m from China

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has obtained yet another foreign commercial loan of $500 million from the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC), a move aimed at stopping official foreign currency reserves from slipping to dangerous levels.

With the fresh foreign loan that Islamabad contracted on October 11, total foreign commercial borrowings in the first four months of this fiscal year have crossed $1 billion, said sources in the Ministry of Finance.

The finance ministry had informed parliament in June this year that it would obtain $1 billion as commercial loans during 2017-18 that will end in June next year. However, it has already breached the limit with eight months remaining.
China says Pakistan a priority in neighbourhood diplomacy

So far, Citibank has given $267 million and Credit Suisse AG loaned $255 million. Pakistan had signed a $450-million short-term foreign commercial loan contract with the Credit Suisse-led consortium in order to boost reserves and pay off a previous loan of Credit Suisse.

Citibank and ICBC are among half a dozen banks that Pakistan has engaged as joint lead managers to float Sukuk and Eurobonds. The road shows for the Sukuk and Eurobond began on Wednesday to raise $2 billion to $3 billion for propping up official foreign currency reserves.

The ICBC had also given $300 million commercial loan in the last fiscal year. The loans were obtained to stop the downward slide of the official foreign currency reserves that currently stand at $13.67 billion. The finance ministry was trying hard that the reserves do not slip below two-and-a-half-month import bill cover.

The official foreign currency reserves have depleted by $2.5 billion since July this year due to a high import bill. The current account deficit during the first four months of the fiscal year widened to over $5 billion – higher by 122% over the same period of the previous fiscal year.

During the past four and a half years, the PML-N government has been subjected to severe criticism for acquiring expensive foreign debt and increasing the overall debt pile. Pakistan’s debt sustainability indicators have worsened in the past one year and its external debt to foreign exchange earnings ratio has further deteriorated, affecting repayment capacity.

Foreign loans are only productive when these are utilised for asset building as this provides a source of earnings, according to a study carried out by renowned economist Dr Kaiser Bengali. His work suggested that with a shift in focus from project to programme loans, the country’s infrastructure is completely ignored and it has started to collapse.But, But the Highel than Himalayas Fliends ale giving Loans to Tellolistan to the tune of US$ 60 Billion in the Fo/m of CPEC!

Bengali argued that as long as the rate of return is at least 1% higher than the cost of borrowing, foreign debt does not create trouble in debt management. However, most of the fresh borrowings are going to meet budget financing needs, which adds to the burden on the government.

During July-October period of this fiscal year, Pakistan obtained $2.3 billion worth of foreign loans, which is equal to 30% of the annual budgetary estimates of $7.6 billion.

During the first four months (July-October) of this fiscal year, Pakistan obtained new loans amounting to $2.3 billion and overwhelming majority of them are meant for filling the massive budget deficit gap and building foreign currency reserves.

The share of foreign commercial banks in total loans stood at 44% or $1.022 billion. China was the largest source that gave $917 million. Beijing gave $500 million as a commercial loan and another $417 million for project financing.

The Islamic Development Bank was the second largest contributor with $509 million.

The Asian Development Bank disbursed only $161 million for projects’ financing in the first four months, which was about 14% official annual estimate of $1.2 billion. The World Bank released $154 million in July-October period – equal to 15% of the official annual estimates of $1.03 billion.

Cheers Image
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

^^^^^^^

This is the time when attacks on India will increase to divert the attention of the aam paki away from all the paki govt and paki army mismanagement of the country and the economy and also unite them by bringing in the ever green strawman argument of bania Hindus being the root cause of all their troubles.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Attacks on India will happen regardless of Baki economic status. In fact the times they are doing "well", they feel emboldened to try and carry out even more attacks.
Bart S
BRF Oldie

Post by Bart S »

Kashi wrote:Attacks on India will happen regardless of Baki economic status. In fact the times they are doing "well", they feel emboldened to try and carry out even more attacks.
Spot on...better from our perspective, if they are going to attack us anyway, that they be poor and starving and fighting among themselves, rather than as a stable country that is not an international pariah.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

X Posted on the J & K News and Discussion Thread

Pakistan indicates it could take Kashmir issue to ICJ

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan today indicated that it could take the issue of Kashmir to the International Court of Justice following the footsteps of India which took the matter of death row prisoner Kulbhushan Jadhav to the world court.

Foreign Office spokesman Mohammad Faisal was asked at the weekly media briefing whether Pakistan would take Kashmir issue to the ICJ.

Instead of saying a direct yes or no, he indicated that the issue was being considered by the legal experts.

"Regarding taking the matter of Jammu & Kashmir to ICJ, it is a complex legal problem. The Attorney General is working on the matter and may update in due course," he said in response to a question. God help Terroristan. If ICJ accepts J & K Issue - Since Possession is nine-tenths of the law - India would take the Opportunity of talking the Indus Water Treaty also to the ICJ!

Faisal said Pakistan was doing its utmost to highlight the issue of Kashmir to the international community.

He said Pakistan had offered a meeting between Jadhav and his wife on purely humanitarian grounds and Indian request to allow his mother to meet her son was being considered.

"India has requested that the mother may be allowed to accompany the wife. The Indian request is under consideration," the spokesman said.

Faisal also criticised Indian policy of selective issuance of medical visa to Pakistanis as "regrettable".

"This is not a gesture of compassion but cold blooded politicking under which individuals are picked at will for political mileage," he said. It is a Nation's Prerogative to Issue a Visa and a Visa is not a Guarantee of Entry to the Visa issuing Nation. A Visa is an acceptance that the Required Documents for the Issuance are Genuine and Accepted. It is for the Immigration Authorities of the Host Country to decide if the "Person with the Visa" is acceptable to enter the Host Country OR NOT!

Faisal also said US Secretary of Defence James Mattis was expected in the next few weeks and the diplomatic channels were working on mutually convenient dates for this visit.

He also said Pakistan repeatedly highlighted that Tahreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, Jamatul Ahrar, Daesh (ISIS) and other terrorist groups were having sanctuaries in Afghanistan and are involved in terrorist attacks inside Pakistan.

He said Taliban chief Mullah Fazal Ullah, the mastermind and perpetrator of the Peshawar Army public school, is hiding in Afghanistan and also alleged that India's intelligence agency RAW was using Afghan soil against Pakistan.

He also said Pakistan was deeply concerned over the conviction of six members of Jamaat-i-Islami in Bagladesh.

A three-judge panel of Bangladesh's International Crimes Tribunal (ICT-BD) yesterday handed down the capital punishment to the six members of the Jamaat-e-Islami, including a former lawmaker, for committing crimes against humanity and siding with the Pakistani troops during the 1971 Independence war.

Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Kashi wrote:Attacks on India will happen regardless of Baki economic status. In fact the times they are doing "well", they feel emboldened to try and carry out even more attacks.
Bart S wrote:Spot on...better from our perspective, if they are going to attack us anyway, that they be poor and starving and fighting among themselves, rather than as a stable country that is not an international pariah.
Kashi Ji and Bart Ji : Gentlemen, I agree that India will suffer Terroristani Attacks IRRESPECTIVE of Terroristani Economic Climate & Conditions. That is "the Nature of the Beast". Terroristan is "NOT INTERESTED IN THE WELL BEING OF ITS PEOPLE!"

Cheers Image
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Peregrine wrote:Pakistan indicates it could take Kashmir issue to ICJ

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan today indicated that it could take the issue of Kashmir to the International Court of Justice following the footsteps of India which took the matter of death row prisoner Kulbhushan Jadhav to the world court.

Ma'sha Alla'h . . . AoA. . .

Why am I reminded of the Atlantique and what happened in the end in the ICJ? Is it because I am a kafir?
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

SSridhar wrote:
Peregrine wrote:Pakistan indicates it could take Kashmir issue to ICJ

SSridhar wrote:Ma'sha Alla'h . . . AoA. . .

Why am I reminded of the Atlantique and what happened in the end in the ICJ? Is it because I am a kafir?
SSridhar Ji :

Guru Ji, would the ICJ have jurisdiction in the matter? I personally doubt it! :rotfl:

Cheers Image
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

X Posted on the Analyzing CPEC & Neutering & Defanging Chinese Threat Thread

China soiling its tlousels in all Colouls of the Lainbow as it despelately needs India to join CPEC & OBOR due to Tellolistan, Myanmal, Nepal & Bangladesh inability to develop tlaffic which India would genelate!

China hints it can rename CPEC if India joins OBOR initiative

BEIJING: The Chinese foreign ministry on Thursday responded to a statement by its ambassador in India, Luo Zhaohui, who recently said Beijing is prepared to rename the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) to address India's concerns. The ministry neither endorsed nor denied Luo's statement, suggesting that it was encouraging Luo to negotiate with New Delhi over the issue, while ensuring that it did not upset Islamabad either.

The ambassador had said during a speech in Delhi last week that China "can change the name of CPEC" and "create an alternative corridor through Jammu & Kashmir, Nathu La pass or Nepal to deal with India's concerns".

In return, it was suggested that India join its One Belt One Road (OBOR) connectivity plan which desperately needs a boost from China's largest neighbour to its south. Chinese investments in Nepal and Myanmar are meant to pressure India to join the initiative but India has not responded to these overtures so far.

The fact that Luo publicly discussed the possibility of renaming CPEC twice indicates that he was acting on instructions from Beijing and not expressing his personal views, observers said.

The foreign ministry said on Thursday: "CPEC is an economic cooperation Initiative that has nothing to do with territorial sovereignty disputes, and does not affect China's and Pakistan's position on the Kashmir issue."

Experts said that the mention of Pakistan in the statement was significant because Beijing does not want to hurt sentiments in the country until its envoy in New Delhi manages to strike a deal. The fact that it is interested in negotiating with India, sources said, was evident from the foreign ministry not contradicting its envoy in New Delhi.

New Delhi believes Beijing has sided with Islamabad by including Pakistan's name in the project, which passes through a portion of Kashmir described as a part of India.

At the same time, India's refusal to join OBOR is one of the major hindrances in OBOR's growth. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had made this clear when India became the first major country not to attend the OBOR forum in Beijing in May, whereas most western countries including the United States had sent official delegations.

"China is ready to strengthen connectivity with all neighbouring countries and promote regional economic cooperation and common prosperity," according to a translation of the ministry's statement which was released in Chinese.

"CPEC is a framework for cooperation focusing on the long-term development of cooperation in all fields. It is in the interest of both China and Pakistan. It is also conducive to promoting regional stability and development," it said.

Cheers Image
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

If there is another terrorist attack in India and I am PM, I will order to fire volley of Brahmos at the first sighting of Hafeez Saeed, I don't care what happens afterwards. They should know that their land and people will vaporize and a billion people peeing will flow entire population of terroristan in Indian ocean.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Peregrine wrote: Guru Ji, would the ICJ have jurisdiction in the matter? I personally doubt it!
Peregrine ji, you don't have to doubt it. That's what I meant.
sudhan
BRFite

Post by sudhan »

Mean-e-while..

Zeenat Shehzadi, the poor journo who tried to help an Indian national imprisoned in Pakland has gone missing.. a second time..

She's probably done for this time.. poor soul :(
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

ashish raval wrote:If there is another terrorist attack in India and I am PM, I will order to fire volley of Brahmos at the first sighting of Hafeez Saeed, I don't care what happens afterwards. They should know that their land and people will vaporize and a billion people peeing will flow entire population of terroristan in Indian ocean.
It is stupid and foolish, sink a pak sub, launch bramhos killing generals yes.

1. We may not have real time intelligence where Hafiz Sayed is.

2. It is waste of a Brahmos.

3. If you are willing to escalate so much might as well take out Mudrike in an Artillery attack, sik a paki submarine etc

Bramhos is for Airfields, Bridges, Radar, ships, oilfields and other targets. It cannot be used alone, it has to be followed up with attacks by aircraft etc.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Aditya_V wrote:
ashish raval wrote:If there is another terrorist attack in India and I am PM, I will order to fire volley of Brahmos at the first sighting of Hafeez Saeed, I don't care what happens afterwards. They should know that their land and people will vaporize and a billion people peeing will flow entire population of terroristan in Indian ocean.
It is stupid and foolish, sink a pak sub, launch bramhos killing generals yes.

1. We may not have real time intelligence where Hafiz Sayed is.

2. It is waste of a Brahmos.

3. If you are willing to escalate so much might as well take out Mudrike in an Artillery attack, sik a paki submarine etc

Bramhos is for Airfields, Bridges, Radar, ships, oilfields and other targets. It cannot be used alone, it has to be followed up with attacks by aircraft etc.
Killing a U.N. wanted terrorist is not equivalent to killing navy officials in a submarine which certainly means declaration of war. By killing hafiz we can get away with minor blip but not in case of sinking a sub or artillery attack..

Why do you assume that GoI do not have real time or near real time Intel on hafiz?
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Guys, it doesn't require a rocket scientist to see a linkage between Trump's 'tough policy' against TSP (dictated by US deep state) and TSP's release of Hafeez pigLeT. As SSji and I had predicted a while back when this so called "tough policy" was announced, it was essentially a bargaining exercise, there was nothing principled about eradicating Islamic terror as Trump claimed. After lotsa back and forth, culminating in US removing Hafeez pigLeT's name from the list that TSP has to go after for resumption of militray/economic goodies, TSP agreed to do US's bidding provided LeT and India specific pigLeTs are off the table, and US presses India for talks with TSP about Kashmir. USA said, lets play ball, and rest follows.

Among all the gas that came from India in response to the choreographed circus between US and TSP using India as the pawn, Abhishek Singvi, while lampooning the so called trial of Hafeez pigLeT (and of course his customary piling on ModiJi for this), all he could come up with is, TSP doesn't realize the Frankenstein monster it has created. Give me a f!king break. Indians seem more concerned about TSP getting consumed by its "Frankenstein monster" than TSP themselves. They actually see in Hafeez pigLeT a trump card in their Kashmir gambit.

Without the likes of Jaish/LeT, TSP has absolutely no chance of TSP every getting India to talk to TSP on Kashmir (and with KMs on their side, they believe it will be downhill for India). TSP has impressed this upon Trump bahadur. And not just to Trump, TSP has managed to persuade everybody else that see while Hafeez pig is a "bad" guy, he is only expressing the sentiments of Kashmiri Muslims who are resisting Indian "occupation and suppression of Kashmir Muslims rights". Once India "resolves Kashmir" (hidden meaning: hand over Kashmir valley on a silver platter to TSP) the likes of Hafeez pig will automatically go away. One doesn't have to be anti-India outsider who doesn't really know much about India and TSP, nor has a stake in India, like Trump or anybody else per se to see how persuasive TSP's position is, especially when TSP is willing to gubo to Trump's other demands.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

AoA! I go to Yawn website to get an informed opinion on the 235 toll in Sinai mosque, and what do I c? A repeat of the Lal Masjid/Mullah situation
Government's 'final warning' to Islamabad protesters lapses without breakthrough
This time I WISH they would give burkhas to the stick-wielders, it would improve the ambience immensely.
The protesters had previously attacked police officers with batons on Murree Road, injuring three constables. According to reports, the protesters had kidnapped Constable Mohammad Abbas and snatched boxes of tear gas shells and anti-riot gear.
A (FIR) was registered ..on charges of kidnapping, theft, attempted murder, among others.. nominated the TLY supremo, Khadim Hussain Rizvi, along with others: first case against the protesters registered in Rawalpindi. The total number of cases up to 20.
IHC prohibits use of firearms in operation against protesters
Separately, in an order sheet issued by the Islamabad High Court (IHC), Justice Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui asked law enforcement agencies to refrain from using firearms in case a "clearance operation" is carried out against the Faizabad protesters. Justice Siddiqui nonetheless termed the protest an "intolerable anti-state activity" where derogatory remarks were used for "honourable judges" and "other respectable persons". The judge also condemned the sit-in for paralysing life in the capital for the past three weeks. He further held the leading figures of the protest responsible for "act[s] of terrorism" and concluded that all state institutions must "act in unison" and take steps to disperse the ongoing sit-in.
Capital paralysed. Daily terrorist life in the capital has been disrupted by protesters belonging to religious parties — including the Tehreek-i-Khatm-i-Nabuwwat, Tehreek-i-Labaik Ya Rasool Allah (TLY) and the Sunni Tehreek Pakistan (ST) — who are calling for the sacking of Law Minister Zahid Hamid and strict action against those behind the amendment to the Khatm-i-Nabuwwat oath in the Elections Act 2017. The amendment had earlier been deemed a 'clerical error' and has already been rectified. The government on Monday scrambled to secure the support of religious leaders and ulema... A meeting between terrorists of the Tehreek-i-Labbaik Ya Rasool Allah and government held at Pakjab House was unable to make any breakthrough, as the protesters had refused to budge from their demand for the law minister’s resignation. Earlier today, the IHC issued a show-cause notice for contempt of court to Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal over his failure to take steps ordered by the court to end the sit-in.
Peregrine
BRF Oldie

Post by Peregrine »

Holding up the mirror

Why does Pakistan continue to drag its feet on bringing the ‘non-state’ perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks to justice?

Decades of ruinous domestic and foreign policies have tarnished Pakistan’s international image. The country’s current profile is not welcoming. Militancy, militarism, and insecurity are the major challenges. Diplomats and expatriates have the difficult task of defending the epicentre and export of terror, nuclear proliferation, state instability, and religious persecution. Whether this image is inaccurate, exaggerated and reductive matters little; for a more balanced picture to emerge Pakistan must work for it.

Allocating scarce resources, frankly speaking, to help fix the country’s image such as hiring lobbyists in Washington seems a waste. Only a complete change in the mindset at home and a seismic shift in international opinion can change the country’s fortunes. Otherwise, Pakistan’s advocacy efforts seem a fruitless and doomed exercise. It would be better to rethink and retool the failed policies that have led to the country’s poor image and trust deficit.

To paraphrase Gandhi: “As a country changes its own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards it. We need not wait to see what others do.” Clearly, Pakistan broken ties with India and Afghanistan demand immediate attention. Improving relations necessitate strong unilateral steps to remove barriers of mistrust.

The barbaric Mumbai terrorist attack in 2008 carried out by the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), brought India and Pakistan close to nuclear war. India sees the Mumbai assault as an example of Pakistan’s aggressive intentions using jihadist proxies. Even Pakistani officialdom is slowly accepting that the Mumbai episode greatly besmirched the country’s international image.

So, why does Pakistan continue to drag its feet in bringing the ‘non-state’ perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks to justice? Immediate justice for the innocent victims of the Mumbai violence would improve India-Pakistan relations and Pakistan’s anti-terrorism credentials. Even-handed and exemplary treatment should apply to terrorists responsible for committing horrific acts of terrorism in Mumbai or Peshawar or anywhere else for that matter.

In Afghanistan, Pakistan’s baffling policies have long opted for short-term strategic goals such as receiving military aid and gaining strategic depth. These policies have neglected to take into account the consequences of involvement in Afghanistan such as enduring Afghan hostility, domestic radicalization, and terrorist blowback within its borders.

Pakistan can prove its sincerity to help bring peace to Afghanistan by treating the Afghan Taliban as any other terrorist group and not as a political movement. Only then trust can be established with the Afghan National Unity Government and the US. Although weak and corrupt, the Afghan government is recognized by the international community as the only legitimate entity in the divided country. Pakistan earns international hostility and disrepute by befriending the Taliban and hedging its bets in Afghanistan.

Osama Bin Laden’s elimination by the United States in Pakistan hurt the country’s national ego. However, once again Pakistan is letting emotions get in the way of good judgement by not releasing the local doctor Shakeel Afridi, accused of helping to identify Bin Laden. While the country’s lunatic ‘fringe’ continues to worship Bin Laden, this doesn’t negate the fact that Afridi did everyone a favour by helping to weed out a common enemy.

In the recent past, Pakistan has forced its way into the global spotlight, mostly for the wrong reasons. The early promise of an enlightened South Asian democratic state quickly gave way to a confused ‘Islamic Republic’ drawing its inspiration from mythical Arab roots. Well-fed and well-heeled legislators play to the gallery apparently protecting the country’s ‘ideological’ frontiers, which are hardly under threat. One wishes that they displayed the same zeal and gumption tackling religious extremism that holds state and society hostage. Instead, appeasement of those who fuel sectarianism and bigotry is the order of the day.

Negative and angry images cloud the country’s international profile. Eminent poster boys of hate and violence like Hafiz Saeed, Ajmal Kasab, and Mumtaz Qadri among others hold sway. The latest drama is the sit-in by Khadim Hussain Rizvi and thousands of his followers of the Tehrik-e-Labaik Pakistan party or Movement of the Prophet’s Followers. The ‘protest’ in support of the country’s strict blasphemy laws, has virtually paralysed Islamabad for a fortnight.

Moreover, a weak state which boasts of its military prowess can’t protect Aasiya Bibi and others, who are the victims of vindictive blasphemy laws. Nowhere has Islam commanded that killing others is an obligation for its sustenance and promotion. Repealing the blasphemy laws and pardoning those convicted could help to convince a sceptical world that Pakistan is serious about ensuring religious freedom.

Reversing Pakistan’s negative international image will be a daunting challenge. Irrational actions and poor choices are a drag on intellectual and social progress. The current road leads to a dead end with negative consequences. More of the same failed policies are unlikely to pull the country out of this mess. A welcome step would be to see a national shift from playing victim to instilling self-confidence. The building blocks of a positive international image are peace, harmony, and dignity.

Cheers Image
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

This is clearly an English-only article. Sheer blasphemy if written in the Urdu media. The writer would hang.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

China signs deal to build nuclear reactor in Pakistan - DT
China has signed a deal to build a third large nuclear reactor in Pakistan, which wants to get a fifth of its electricity from nuclear by 2030.

World Nuclear News, supported by industry lobby World Nuclear Association, reported that China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC) and the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) have signed a cooperation agreement for the construction of a 1,000 megawatt (MW) HPR1000 ‘Hualong One’ reactor at the Chashma nuclear power plant in Punjab. The PAEC could not immediately be reached for comment. Pakistan generates five percent of its electricity from four small 300 MW Chinese reactors at the Chashma plant and wants to boost nuclear capacity to 8,800 MW, or about 20 percent of power generation capacity, by 2030.

China is already building two Hualong One reactors with a capacity of 1100 MW each near the port city of Karachi, which are expected to become operational in 2020 and 2021 respectively. PAEC Chairman Muhammad Naeem told Reuters last month his organisation was in the final stages of awarding contracts for Chasmah, which would take Pakistan’s nuclear capacity to about 5,000 MW when it is finished. He said Pakistan wanted to build at least 3-4 more big nuclear reactors by 2030. Imported oil is the main fuel for power generation in Pakistan, where one quarter of the population has no access to electricity. Four Hualong reactors – a new so-called third-generation model with added safety features – are under construction in China, with the first expected to go online in 2021.
How would Pakistan get its fuel for these reactors? China itself imports most of its Uranium.